View Full Version : Official 2017 NFL draft thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

red
11-13-2016, 04:22 PM
yup, its time for this

COREY DAVIS WR

UNDEFEATED WESTERN MICHIGAN BRONCOS

6-3, 215

he's a freak, a good route running with great hands in the mold of another bronco great, greg jennings, only davis is 4 inches taller

if we keep lossing we might even get up in the mike williams range, although davis might be better

its all about WR's right, we should draft 7-10 of them just to make sure we get some that work

esoxx
11-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Davis is an absolute beast. Sign me up for that pick.

Freak Out
11-13-2016, 04:38 PM
LOL

Bretsky
11-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Just got back from a BB tournament; WTF happened ? TIme to go in and read the game day threads.

Love the early draft thread although I"d rather have a 7-2 team

Joemailman
11-13-2016, 07:51 PM
yup, its time for this

COREY DAVIS WR

UNDEFEATED WESTERN MICHIGAN BRONCOS

6-3, 215

he's a freak, a good route running with great hands in the mold of another bronco great, greg jennings, only davis is 4 inches taller

if we keep lossing we might even get up in the mike williams range, although davis might be better

its all about WR's right, we should draft 7-10 of them just to make sure we get some that work

I think O.J. Howard would have a bigger impact. A TE who is a threat to bust the seam would open up a lot of room for the WR's we have.

Bretsky
11-13-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure OJ Howard it worthy of a top 15 pick. Is he dominant ? Just asking

Joemailman
11-13-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure OJ Howard it worthy of a top 15 pick. Is he dominant ? Just asking

I think he has elite talent. He doesn't have awesome stats, about 3 catches per game. I don't see Alabama play enough to know if that's on him, or a result of the design of their offense. His YPC is down a bit this year, but for his career it's about 15 YPC, which is outstanding for a Tight End.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Draft or trade up for Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU. Many a-scouts compare Forunette to the Switch Hitter. Pack could use a fast, home-run hitting RB.

Alternatively, draft Mobb's (infamous) current favorite college playa, Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford. McCaffrey is also fast and a home-run hitter. Plus, there's something fascinating about white rbs, as well as white corners, black punters/kickers and Asian QBs (see Mariota, Marcus).

In my humble stoic opinion, Pack need a hotshot RB more than a shotshot WR.

gbgary
11-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Draft or trade up for Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU. Many a-scouts compare Forunette to the Switch Hitter. Pack could use a fast, home-run hitting RB.

Alternatively, draft Mobb's (infamous) current favorite college playa, Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford. McCaffrey is also fast and a home-run hitter. Plus, there's something fascinating about white rbs, as well as white corners, black punters/kickers and Asian QBs (see Mariota, Marcus).

In my humble stoic opinion, Pack need a hotshot RB more than a shotshot WR.

the Packers are a passing team. getting a running back won't help the "Packers' wrs can't get open" problem. if we had elliott today our wrs still wouldn't be getting open any more than they are now. as it sits today the only time we're completing passes is when a defense occasionally plays a zone or one of our guys makes a miraculous catch.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
the Packers are a passing team. getting a running back won't help the "Packers' wrs can't get open" problem. if we had elliott today our wrs still wouldn't be getting open any more than they are now. as it sits today the only time we're completing passes is when a defense occasionally plays a zone or one of our guys makes a miraculous catch.

If we had Elliot, I doubt we'd be sitting at 4-5 right now. Also, don't think Prescott would be 7-1 without Elliot.

Having a home-run hitting rb opens up a lot of stuff for the passing game, as defenses have to honor the run first on early downs. Rodgers was able to complete slants at will earlier in his career b/c Ryan Grant, at least before the injury, was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball. Sure, Pack had better WRs back then but lbs still had to account for Grant, opening up the middle of the field. And when defenses played 8-men box, Rodgers dropped bombs on 'em with ease.

Lacy is a pain to tackle but he ain't a home-run hitter.

If the next Switch Hitter's there, gotta take him - unless, maybe, there's a Randy Moss, a Megatron, a Julio Jones or a AJ Green sitting around.

Joemailman
11-20-2016, 10:35 PM
As of now, we're picking between 7-11.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 10:50 PM

Lets take Joe Thomas, Sr, RB South Carolina State. Dude's 55 years young, and the father of Joe Thomas - not tackle for the Browns, but the mediocre ILB for the Pack.

ThunderDan
11-20-2016, 10:56 PM
If we had Elliot, I doubt we'd be sitting at 4-5 right now. Also, don't think Prescott would be 7-1 without Elliot.

Having a home-run hitting rb opens up a lot of stuff for the passing game, as defenses have to honor the run first on early downs. Rodgers was able to complete slants at will earlier in his career b/c Ryan Grant, at least before the injury, was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball. Sure, Pack had better WRs back then but lbs still had to account for Grant, opening up the middle of the field. And when defenses played 8-men box, Rodgers dropped bombs on 'em with ease.

Lacy is a pain to tackle but he ain't a home-run hitter.

If the next Switch Hitter's there, gotta take him - unless, maybe, there's a Randy Moss, a Megatron, a Julio Jones or a AJ Green sitting around.
We are giving up 40 points a game. Elliot would be nice but not the difference.

Do not draft Fournette, better RBs out there to take in 2 and 3 rounds.

Bretsky
11-20-2016, 11:00 PM
We need to use our first round draft pick at CB, LB, RB, and WR.....any way we can get four :)))

Maxie the Taxi
11-20-2016, 11:00 PM
We need to use our first round draft pick at CB, LB, RB, and WR.....any way we can get four :)))Trade Arod?:whaa:

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 11:09 PM
We are giving up 40 points a game. Elliot would be nice but not the difference.

Do not draft Fournette, better RBs out there to take in 2 and 3 rounds.

Elliot has made the Cowboys stinking D a whole lot better by milking the clock offensively while keeping the D off the field. Fournette, the next Switch Hitter, aka, #AllDay28, could do the same thing with the Packers' pussycat D.

call_me_ishmael
11-21-2016, 01:00 AM
Pass rusher. They have no pass rush at all.

pbmax
11-21-2016, 07:33 AM
If Shields isn't coming back, need a CB first.

ThunderDan
11-21-2016, 08:53 AM
I would much rather grab Perine from Oklahoma than Fournette.

We need a CB, OLB (in the mold of Von Miller), WR.

Zool
11-21-2016, 09:18 AM
Fournette doesn't look like an NFL back to me. He looks like a college back. Cook looks like an NFL back to me, but he's going to go pretty high.

Pugger
11-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Trade Arod?:whaa:

And go with Hundley? Thanks but no thanks.

Maxie the Taxi
11-21-2016, 11:34 AM
And go with Hundley? Thanks but no thanks.It was sarcasm...I think. :-)

MadScientist
11-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Honestly they really could just BPA this high pick. They need difference makers at most positions (CB, WR, LB, TE, RB). If they re-sign Cook they could probably get by without a TE upgrade, but any of the other positions, getting a stud will really help. They are going to have high picks, so they really need to nail this draft, especially the first three rounds.

Freak Out
11-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Honestly they really could just BPA this high pick. They need difference makers at most positions (CB, WR, LB, TE, RB). If they re-sign Cook they could probably get by without a TE upgrade, but any of the other positions, getting a stud will really help. They are going to have high picks, so they really need to nail this draft, especially the first three rounds.

Agree completely. Trade Arod? Stop the crazy talk people.

Joemailman
11-21-2016, 06:56 PM
If Lacy leaves, Dalvin Cook anyone?

pbmax
11-21-2016, 07:36 PM
No. This offense will not work featuring a back like Minnesota or Tennessee do. I would not spend the pick on a player that will get 20 carries in tight games.

Joemailman
11-21-2016, 07:55 PM
No. This offense will not work featuring a back like Minnesota or Tennessee do. I would not spend the pick on a player that will get 20 carries in tight games.

He's not real big, so I don't know that he'd be a 300 carry guy. But he has breakaway speed, and is a good pass receiver. He also missed a game last year with a hamstring injury, so he's Packer People.

pbmax
11-21-2016, 09:01 PM
He's not real big, so I don't know that he'd be a 300 carry guy. But he has breakaway speed, and is a good pass receiver. He also missed a game last year with a hamstring injury, so he's Packer People.

Then yes, you may proceed.

Freak Out
11-21-2016, 11:35 PM
:-P

Cheesehead Craig
11-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Yes please.

Zool
11-22-2016, 08:37 AM
Cook would be a good pick. He can catch the ball, and would instantly add speed to a slow offense.

It's amazing to me with all the 4.3 guys on O now, that they still look so sluggish.

ThunderDan
11-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Cook would be a good pick. He can catch the ball, and would instantly add speed to a slow offense.

It's amazing to me with all the 4.3 guys on O now, that they still look so sluggish.

4.3 ain't what it use to be. In the old days it was ready, set, go and the coach started the clock on go. You had a reaction time before the athlete started running. Now the clock starts on first movement of the player and the use technology to know exactly when the finish line is crossed verses the coach hitting his stop watch bottom.

The Olympics have started combatting this in the 100m & 200m races by having a delay time in when the gun goes off to when the runners move. If the runner moves too fast, he was anticipating the gun and getting an advantage by hoping to "cheat" the actually start.

Pugger
11-22-2016, 09:31 AM

I don't know if I want to invest a high 1st round pick into a RB when we have bigger issues to address. I suggest we resign Lacy - he isn't gonna cost a fortune - instead.

gbgary
11-22-2016, 10:50 AM
no running back. we're a passing team. needs to be the best wr available...or tight end (to take dickrods place).

Joemailman
11-22-2016, 04:15 PM
no running back. we're a passing team. needs to be the best wr available...or tight end (to take dickrods place).

Packers could be in Mike Williams territory. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082516/mike-williams

I'd prefer a pass rusher, but the top of the draft looks weak there.

RashanGary
11-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Would be nice to draft a star at and then keep Lacy on an injured fool discount. An upgrade at RB and WR would help us next year!

red
11-25-2016, 05:36 PM
corey davis just broke the all time fbs receiving yards mark

BZnDallas
11-25-2016, 05:48 PM

Davis seems more like a TT guy. If TT is around. Maybe Aaron wants Mike Williams with the Hopkins comparisons.

Joemailman
11-25-2016, 06:03 PM
CBS has Davis ranked 39th overall. If accurate, that could fit right in with Packers 2nd round pick. He'll probably go higher than that if he performs well at the Senior Bowl and Combine though.

red
11-25-2016, 06:12 PM
CBS has Davis ranked 39th overall. If accurate, that could fit right in with Packers 2nd round pick. He'll probably go higher than that if he performs well at the Senior Bowl and Combine though.

i've also seen sites having him go in the top 10

which may fit right in with our first round plans

PFF has him going #7 overall

sports illustrated has him at #13

red
11-25-2016, 06:20 PM
on that last series davis just had a great one handed snag, on the next play he had a great block out in front of the runner, and he capped it off with an amazing back shoulder catch where he was falling out of bounds and dragged his feet

that one series just showed all you need to see from him

Joemailman
11-25-2016, 06:37 PM
on that last series davis just had a great one handed snag, on the next play he had a great block out in front of the runner, and he capped it off with an amazing back shoulder catch where he was falling out of bounds and dragged his feet

that one series just showed all you need to see from him

I take it you're on the Davis bandwagon. Rankings on him are all over the place right now, but he sounds like a 1st round pick more than a second.

red
11-25-2016, 06:42 PM
I take it you're on the Davis bandwagon. Rankings on him are all over the place right now, but he sounds like a 1st round pick more than a second.

i'm an alum, we gotta support our own

but the kid does seem to have all the physical gifts and tools

texaspackerbacker
11-25-2016, 06:59 PM
I will go with a wideout this year, and Cody Davis looks like one of the best. We have all that quantity but no top level quality. Any RB no matter how good in college is a crap shoot to do it in the NFL. Conversely, you can be sharp about picking a second level RB and have him rise to the top in the NFL.

yetisnowman
11-25-2016, 08:41 PM
If Shields isn't coming back, need a CB first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you claiming Randall, Rollins, and Gunter were all good picks with a bright future within the last week or so? Why would they need to go cb first round if that were the case?
Anyway....to me, this is clearly a BPA situation. We are so bereft of playmakers in so many spots. Honestly I think Cook would be a great pick.

call_me_ishmael
11-25-2016, 08:45 PM
I think the secondary looks a whole lot better if the front 7 is revamped. My position of needs for the Packers in order are: Pass rusher, pass rusher, pass rusher, offensive guard, cornerback, running back, pass rusher.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you claiming Randall, Rollins, and Gunter were all good picks with a bright future within the last week or so? Why would they need to go cb first round if that were the case?

Pb altered his thinking after I debunked his argument. :)

ThunderDan
11-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Anyway....to me, this is clearly a BPA situation. We are so bereft of playmakers in so many spots. Honestly I think Cook would be a great pick.

You can't have 5 shut down CBs on the same team. You need good corners and Randall, Rollins and Gunter look to be that. Hopefully 1 steps up to be a shutdown corner. But with Shields gone you need a 2nd player of his quality.

Pugger
11-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Yes, if we are picking this high you go with BPA. When you pick for need alone you end up reaching and regretting it later.

pbmax
11-26-2016, 08:51 AM

I like their talent and think each one has at least one trait to like very much. I think they all can start and that Randall might become a fixture on defense. However, neither their development or health is guaranteed. Its probably unlikely all three hit just based on those probabilities alone.

If Shields is done and Goodson is lost, you need depth and a chance to find talent. I not as sure about Dorleant as I am about those three.

If WR and ILB have taught us anything, a return to health is one thing, a lack of depth is something else.

Joemailman
11-29-2016, 09:20 AM
With the win, the Packers go from picking between 7-11 to 10-14.

Scout Inc's Top 32

1. L. Fournette* RB LSU 95
2. Myles Garrett* DE Texas A&M 95
3. Jonathan Allen DE Alabama 94
4. Jabrill Peppers* S Michigan 93
5. Reuben Foster ILB Alabama 92
6. Jamal Adams* S LSU 92
7. Dalvin Cook* RB Florida St 91
8. M. Lattimore* CB Ohio State 91
9. Tim Williams OLB Alabama 90
10. Malik McDowell* DT Michigan St 90
11. Charles Harris* DE Missouri 89
12. Mike Williams* WR Clemson 89
13. Jarrad Davis OLB Florida 89
14. Caleb Brantley* DT Florida 89
15. Cam Robinson* OT Alabama 89
16. Teez Tabor* CB Florida 89
17. Charles Walker* DT Oklahoma 89
18. D'Onta Foreman* RB Texas 89
19. J. Smith-Schust.* WR USC 88
20. Carl Lawson* DE Auburn 88
21. Mitch Trubisky* QB N Carolina 88
22. Ryan Ramczyk* OT Wisconsin 88
23. O.J. Howard TE Alabama 88
24. Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan 88
25. Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame 87
26. Jake Butt TE Michigan 87
27. Quenton Nelson* OG Notre Dame 87
28. Marcus Maye S Florida 87
29. C. Tankersley CB Clemson 87
30. C. Mccaffrey* RB Stanford 87
31. Derek Barnett* DE Tennessee 87
32. Raekwon McMillan* ILB Ohio State 86

gbgary
11-30-2016, 08:19 PM
off's top 32...looks like an impact starter will be hard to miss on...https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-college-football-top-32-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft/?utm_content=buffer24017&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

gbgary
11-30-2016, 08:20 PM
pff's top 32...looks like an impact starter will be hard to miss on...https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-college-football-top-32-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft/?utm_content=buffer24017&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

run pMc
12-01-2016, 08:06 PM

I'm a fan. He has really good production and can run routes. With Jordy on his last legs and Cobb being AWOL for chunks of games I'd be ecstatic if he was there in R2 and TT took him. (I think he'll sneak into R1 unless he runs a 4.6 40, though.)

smuggler
12-01-2016, 08:51 PM
I think Jake Butt or possibly OJ Howard might be the way to go.

red
12-02-2016, 07:08 PM
corey davis just showed some jordy nelson pre injury speed

i don't know if he has off the line speed, but he's got that top gear you need. sure didn't look like a 4.6 forty guy on that play

Freak Out
12-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Defense.

gbgary
12-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Defense.

nah...FA for that...or later in the draft. 1st 3 rds need to be O.

Bretsky
12-02-2016, 09:45 PM
nah...FA for that...or later in the draft. 1st 3 rds need to be O.

What does "FA" stand for ? Is that Green Bay's version of Playoffs for Jim Mora ??

texaspackerbacker
12-03-2016, 08:01 AM
All those asterisks on that list, those are players who might come out early, right? I kinda doubt about half of them will.

Ted has put us in a spot where we need way more than one of the positions talked about. And it's like Bretsky said about the FA thing. I still think the most immediate fix that will do the most good is a big fast wideout - unless there is clear and convincing evidence that Jordy Nelson is gonna return to his pre-injury speed.

woodbuck27
12-03-2016, 11:16 AM
I would love to see a solid RB in our backfield.

Can you imagine the Packers Offense with a man like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxviYxGAwg

texaspackerbacker
12-03-2016, 03:32 PM
He's probably more 3rd or 4th round than 1st, but I'd like to see the Packers get Joe Mixon of Oklahoma.

run pMc
12-03-2016, 05:51 PM
He's probably more 3rd or 4th round than 1st, but I'd like to see the Packers get Joe Mixon of Oklahoma.
Mixon has all kinds of baggage; he has all kinds of talent but I think TT and Co. red flag him. I like his backfield mate Perine a lot though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYChH34dBuc

they way people talk about him, he can bench press a car
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210262415

Joemailman
12-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Packers pick now between 14-18.

RashanGary
12-04-2016, 08:23 PM
I could see us winning out though, and making the playoffs. The offense is starting to gel. Randall and Rollins are plugging the secondary hole. The ILBs are healthy again. We might just pull this thing out and get another shitty late draft pick.

Joemailman
12-04-2016, 08:36 PM
I could see us winning out though, and making the playoffs. The offense is starting to gel. Randall and Rollins are plugging the secondary hole. The ILBs are healthy again. We might just pull this thing out and get another shitty late draft pick.

Could be. I think Martinez started to practice this week. If they can get him and Matthews healthy, the defense could be pretty decent.

RashanGary
12-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Lions have Bears (division games are always tough), Giants, Cowboys (very tough team) and the Packers to finish the season.

I could see the Lions losing 3 games of their last four.

Bretsky
12-04-2016, 08:54 PM

The Seattle game will be interesting

RashanGary
12-04-2016, 09:14 PM
The Seattle game will be interesting

That's a good team. If the Packers win, we can get excited again. Lose and the playoffs are a stretch. It's a very big week coming up.

It's been a tough year with injuries and so many young players in important spots.

If we can't beat this team, it's ok. We could use a playmaker in the draft. An early d1, 2 and 3 could really help us. But if we win, we have a shot still now. So I'm ok either way. This is a talented young roster. We still have a 5 year window.

Joemailman
12-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Seahawks are probably the 2nd best team in the NFC. I think it's an upset if the Packers win next week, even at home.

Bretsky
12-04-2016, 10:22 PM
huge upset ...although....Seattle seems to occasionally take a game off.......they were lights out today so hopefully they don't come out strong next week

Freak Out
12-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Seattle should destroy the defense. The Packer offense should be able to score but they probably can't keep up with the Chickens.

call_me_ishmael
12-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Seattle wins by 3 TDs or more. That is a very good team.

pbmax
12-04-2016, 11:35 PM
You all should be banned for two days for dumping a Seattle bandwagon hijack job into red's draft thread.

Joemailman
12-05-2016, 06:58 AM
More or less the draft order.

W L T PCT HOME ROAD DIV CONF PF PA DIFF STRK
Cleveland Browns 0 12 0 .000 0-6 0-6 0-4 0-8 197 352 -155 L12
San Francisco 49ers 1 11 0 .083 1-5 0-6 1-3 1-8 234 370 -136 L11
Jacksonville Jaguars 2 10 0 .167 1-5 1-5 1-2 1-8 224 313 -89 L7
Chicago Bears 3 9 0 .250 3-3 0-6 2-1 3-5 204 270 -66 W1
New York Jets 3 8 0 .273 1-4 2-4 1-2 3-5 196 266 -70 L3
Carolina Panthers 4 8 0 .333 3-3 1-5 1-3 4-5 283 321 -38 L2
Los Angeles Rams 4 8 0 .333 1-4 3-4 2-1 3-5 180 262 -82 L3
Cincinnati Bengals 4 7 1 .375 3-2-1 1-5 1-2 3-5 245 259 -14 W1
New Orleans Saints 5 7 0 .417 3-4 2-3 1-2 4-4 347 335 +12 L1
San Diego Chargers 5 7 0 .417 3-3 2-4 1-3 4-5 334 319 +15 L1
Philadelphia Eagles 5 7 0 .417 4-1 1-6 0-3 3-6 268 245 +23 L3
Indianapolis Colts 5 6 0 .455 3-3 2-3 2-2 3-5 270 301 -31 L1
Arizona Cardinals 5 6 1 .458 4-2-1 1-4 2-1-1 4-4-1 276 251 +25 W1
Houston Texans 6 6 0 .500 5-1 1-5 3-0 4-4 207 257 -50 L3
Minnesota Vikings 6 6 0 .500 4-2 2-4 1-3 4-6 233 209 +24 L2
Green Bay Packers 6 6 0 .500 4-2 2-4 2-1 4-4 295 302 -7 W2
Tennessee Titans 6 6 0 .500 3-3 3-3 1-3 3-5 308 296 +12 W1
Buffalo Bills 6 6 0 .500 3-2 3-4 1-3 3-5 305 274 +31 L1
Washington Redskins 6 5 1 .542 4-2 2-3-1 2-2 4-4 303 295 +8 L2
Baltimore Ravens 7 5 0 .583 5-2 2-3 4-0 7-2 256 207 +49 W2
Atlanta Falcons 7 5 0 .583 3-3 4-2 3-1 5-3 386 331 +55 L1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 5 0 .583 2-4 5-1 2-1 5-3 277 285 -8 W4
Miami Dolphins 7 5 0 .583 5-1 2-4 2-1 5-4 255 278 -23 L1
Pittsburgh Steelers 7 5 0 .583 4-2 3-3 2-1 5-3 290 236 +54 W3
Detroit Lions 8 4 0 .667 5-1 3-3 2-2 6-2 275 251 +24 W4
New York Giants 8 4 0 .667 5-1 3-3 2-1 5-3 245 237 +8 L1
Denver Broncos 8 4 0 .667 4-2 4-2 1-3 5-3 286 229 +57 W1
Seattle Seahawks 8 3 1 .708 6-0 2-3-1 1-1-1 4-3-1 264 194 +70 W1
Kansas City Chiefs 9 3 0 .750 4-1 5-2 3-0 6-2 281 242 +39 W2
Oakland Raiders 10 2 0 .833 5-2 5-0 2-1 7-1 345 299 +46 W6
New England Patriots 10 2 0 .833 4-2 6-0 3-1 7-1 319 207 +112 W3
x - Dallas Cowboys

pbmax
12-05-2016, 07:48 AM
W L T PCT HOME ROAD DIV CONF PF PA DIFF STRK
Cleveland Browns 0 12 0 .000 0-6 0-6 0-4 0-8 197 352 -155 L12
San Francisco 49ers 1 11 0 .083 1-5 0-6 1-3 1-8 234 370 -136 L11
Jacksonville Jaguars 2 10 0 .167 1-5 1-5 1-2 1-8 224 313 -89 L7
Chicago Bears 3 9 0 .250 3-3 0-6 2-1 3-5 204 270 -66 W1
New York Jets 3 8 0 .273 1-4 2-4 1-2 3-5 196 266 -70 L3
Carolina Panthers 4 8 0 .333 3-3 1-5 1-3 4-5 283 321 -38 L2
Los Angeles Rams 4 8 0 .333 1-4 3-4 2-1 3-5 180 262 -82 L3
Cincinnati Bengals 4 7 1 .375 3-2-1 1-5 1-2 3-5 245 259 -14 W1
New Orleans Saints 5 7 0 .417 3-4 2-3 1-2 4-4 347 335 +12 L1
San Diego Chargers 5 7 0 .417 3-3 2-4 1-3 4-5 334 319 +15 L1
Philadelphia Eagles 5 7 0 .417 4-1 1-6 0-3 3-6 268 245 +23 L3
Indianapolis Colts 5 6 0 .455 3-3 2-3 2-2 3-5 270 301 -31 L1
Arizona Cardinals 5 6 1 .458 4-2-1 1-4 2-1-1 4-4-1 276 251 +25 W1
Houston Texans 6 6 0 .500 5-1 1-5 3-0 4-4 207 257 -50 L3
Minnesota Vikings 6 6 0 .500 4-2 2-4 1-3 4-6 233 209 +24 L2
Green Bay Packers 6 6 0 .500 4-2 2-4 2-1 4-4 295 302 -7 W2
Tennessee Titans 6 6 0 .500 3-3 3-3 1-3 3-5 308 296 +12 W1
Buffalo Bills 6 6 0 .500 3-2 3-4 1-3 3-5 305 274 +31 L1
Washington Redskins 6 5 1 .542 4-2 2-3-1 2-2 4-4 303 295 +8 L2
Baltimore Ravens 7 5 0 .583 5-2 2-3 4-0 7-2 256 207 +49 W2
Atlanta Falcons 7 5 0 .583 3-3 4-2 3-1 5-3 386 331 +55 L1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 5 0 .583 2-4 5-1 2-1 5-3 277 285 -8 W4
Miami Dolphins 7 5 0 .583 5-1 2-4 2-1 5-4 255 278 -23 L1
Pittsburgh Steelers 7 5 0 .583 4-2 3-3 2-1 5-3 290 236 +54 W3
Detroit Lions 8 4 0 .667 5-1 3-3 2-2 6-2 275 251 +24 W4
New York Giants 8 4 0 .667 5-1 3-3 2-1 5-3 245 237 +8 L1
Denver Broncos 8 4 0 .667 4-2 4-2 1-3 5-3 286 229 +57 W1
Seattle Seahawks 8 3 1 .708 6-0 2-3-1 1-1-1 4-3-1 264 194 +70 W1
Kansas City Chiefs 9 3 0 .750 4-1 5-2 3-0 6-2 281 242 +39 W2
Oakland Raiders 10 2 0 .833 5-2 5-0 2-1 7-1 345 299 +46 W6
New England Patriots 10 2 0 .833 4-2 6-0 3-1 7-1 319 207 +112 W3
x - Dallas Cowboys

Cheesehead Craig
12-05-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm getting on board with moving Montgomery to RB full time. That takes care of speed in the backfield and also a big time receiving threat.

That frees up taking a CB or LB in round 1. The draft seems pretty heavy on first round talent in these positions, especially CB.

red
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm getting on board with moving Montgomery to RB full time. That takes care of speed in the backfield and also a big time receiving threat.

That frees up taking a CB or LB in round 1. The draft seems pretty heavy on first round talent in these positions, especially CB.

yeah, maybe take a mid round flyer on a bigger back for a backup. but monty would fill the need for a running back in a pass heavy offence nicely. maybe we should design a few plays to get him the ball out of the backfield and turn him into one of those receiving backs thats all the rage these days

pbmax
12-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 49s50 seconds ago
Asked two high-level evaluators about #LSU RB Leonard Fournette, who intends to enter the draft. As good as Todd Gurley? “Better,” both said

red
12-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 49s50 seconds ago
Asked two high-level evaluators about #LSU RB Leonard Fournette, who intends to enter the draft. As good as Todd Gurley? “Better,” both said

i think the wins the last two weeks might have taken us out of the fournette sweepstakes. i've seen him lasting as long as 10 or 11.

we'll probably be drafting in the early 20's with the pace we're on

ThunderDan
12-05-2016, 02:01 PM
i think the wins the last two weeks might have taken us out of the fournette sweepstakes. i've seen him lasting as long as 10 or 11.

we'll probably be drafting in the early 20's with the pace we're on

Good, I don't trust a back who is injured in college and gets a lot of crazy yard games against inferior teams.

call_me_ishmael
12-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Good, I don't trust a back who is injured in college and gets a lot of crazy yard games against inferior teams.

You're describing is Adrian Peterson :)

In all seriousness, I don't see AP is Fournette (I've only seen Fournette play twice, though). I don't see the acceleration there. That is what made AP special, he was so explosive immediately.

Cheesehead Craig
12-05-2016, 03:21 PM
I think Fournette will disappoint in the NFL. I too, see a guy who seems to get hurt a lot. Also, he disappears in big games.

Joemailman
12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Good year to draft a running back. Could be as many as 10 or more taken in the first 3 rounds. Any love around here from Badger fans for taking Clement in the 3-4 rounds?

Another interesting name is Nick Chubb. Ran for over 1500 yards at Georgia in 2014, and was probably the favorite to win the Heisman in 2015 before a terrible knee injury half way through the season. Played well this season although numbers were down averaging 4.8 YPC on 207 carries. It will be interesting to see when teams are willing to pull the trigger on him. CBS currently has him rated a 2-3 round prospect.

Zool
12-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Good year to draft a running back. Could be as many as 10 or more taken in the first 3 rounds. Any love around here from Badger fans for taking Clement in the 3-4 rounds?

Another interesting name is Nick Chubb. Ran for over 1500 yards at Georgia in 2014, and was probably the favorite to win the Heisman in 2015 before a terrible knee injury half way through the season. Played well this season although numbers were down averaging 4.8 YPC on 207 carries. It will be interesting to see when teams are willing to pull the trigger on him. CBS currently has him rated a 2-3 round prospect.

Clement will probably get drafted but not until late. He doesn't seem break many tackles at the college level.

hoosier
12-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Does Nick have any weight issues?

hoosier
12-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Clement will probably get drafted but not until late. He doesn't seem break many tackles at the college level.

Agreed, he is neither especially fast nor elusive nor hard to bring down. I think he's the worst feature back the Badgers have had in quite a while.

pbmax
12-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Agreed, he is neither especially fast nor elusive nor hard to bring down. I think he's the worst feature back the Badgers have had in quite a while.

If he had PJ Hill's O line this would be a different conversation. :lol:

But I agree, he doesn't appear destined for Sunday greatness.

Joemailman
12-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Does Nick have any weight issues?

If you're asking me if Chubb is his real last name, I have no idea.

Fritz
12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
I say draft Nick Chub. I want to get a t-shirt with his Packer number on the back,and on the front it'll say "I've got a chubbie!" with his picture on the front, preferably holding a giant turkey leg dripping with barbecue sauce. And if you position the turkey leg pointing straight up in front of his mouth, that's even better.

My draft board is admittedly based on different metrics than most.

Joemailman
12-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Pair him in the backfield with Lacy: Chubb and Chubby.

hoosier
12-06-2016, 07:29 PM
PJ Hill. I was trying to remember the truly mediocre Badger tailbacks, and kept coming up with guys who were better than mediocre, like Calhoun and Fletcher. PJ Hill fits the bill.

pbmax
12-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Random Badger note:

Tom Oates ‏@TomOatesWSJ 51m51 minutes ago
NFL teams told @BobMcGinn that #Badgers LT Ryan Ramczyk will have arthroscopic surgery to fix torn labrum in hip after bowl. Out 4 months.

red
12-18-2016, 03:21 PM
theres a video out of mixon from oklahoma punching some chick in the face, suppose to be worse then the ray rice video

theres a first rounder making sure he goes undrafted

pbmax
01-06-2017, 10:45 AM
How NFL teams are evaluating and valuing athletic explosion in their draft prospects.

https://theringer.com/nfl-playoffs-draft-scouting-explosion-seahawks-steelers-cowboys-patriots-chiefs-85ea73e65837#.53qbakza4

- 3 cone, broad jump, vertical jump, short shuttle

- These are all claims you have seen before, Seahawks used a more refined system from Nike called SPARQ that launched a bunch of imitators

Data on similar numbers for players, see Jason Spriggs at 10th for all O lineman n 2016 draft.
https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2017, 01:24 AM
I dunno if he'll last until we pick but I want TJ Watt like no tomorrow. High ceiling, high floor. I think he'll test worse than some would expect since I don't think he's a burner, but I think he'll be a darn fine NFL pass rusher.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 09:12 AM
- These are all claims you have seen before, Seahawks used a more refined system from Nike called SPARQ that launched a bunch of imitators

Data on similar numbers for players, see Jason Spriggs at 10th for all O lineman n 2016 draft.
https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ol/

The correlation between SPARQ rating and Packer personnel transactions is striking. I've been watching it for a while now. I posted the following in early September:

Just as an aside, I've been watching the Packer's personnel moves with an eye on the SPARQ rankings (https://3sigmaathlete.com/) which, I guess, attempt to grade and compare the athletic abilities of NFL players and prospects. The correlation is uncanny. I suspect TT puts a lot of stock in them.

For instance, Devin Cajuste is ranked #5 among all WR prospects (https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/wr/) and Herb Waters #20. That puts Cajuste in the company of Josh Doctson and Corey Coleman and Waters ahead of Sterling Shepard. Doctson, Coleman and Shepard are all starting caliber draft choices.

Also, if you are surprised TT didn't draft Reggie Raglund, it could be because Ragland ranked #77 among LB prospects (https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/lb/)whereas Kyler Fackrell was #57 and Blake Martinez was #55.

By the way, Dean Lowry was ranked #5 among Defensive Linemen and Brandon Burks, Don Jackson and Jhurell Pressley were ranked #12, #13, and #14 respectively among all rookie running backs. (https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/rb/)

Kind of too strange to be a coincidence.

Yes, Spriggs is rated #10, but what's more telling is Lucas Patrick is rated #7 and he happens to be on TT's practice squad.

Look at where these other Packers fare with respect to SPARQ position rankings:

Beau Sandland #3; Josh Hawkins #7; Kentrell Brice #10; Trevor Davis #11; Ty Montgomery #15; Jermaine Whitehead #15; Marwin Evans #18; John Crockett #19; Keith Baxter #20; Christian Ringo #35; Joe Kerridge #37.

Virtually everytime TT puts an "unknown" name on the roster or the practice squad, that player's SPARQ rating is off the charts, or at least in the top 50. In many cases these lesser known players have SPARQ position ratings higher than those of the more recognizable, marquee players.

I'm not saying it's TT's only criteria and a high SPARQ position rating is by no means a guarantee of success in the NFL, but it seems to be a better indicator than most and I have to believe TT puts an inordinate amount of stock in it.

pbmax
01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
^ Yep. Its no accident the Packers have seemed to be getting faster these days. Put an emphasis on coaching though. Whitt will thrive.

There was a moment a few years ago where Ted mentioned that he had started to hire people to dig into analytics in player personnel. He said it was something he was not comfortable with but felt he had to get comfortable with, or something similar.

I had hoped a writer would revisit this and I haven't seen anyone do it. But I think Maxie's post and that Ringer article make it clear he has moved in that direction.

esoxx
01-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Agree with drafting Nick Chubb.

Then we could have Chubby & Stubby.

esoxx
01-07-2017, 10:45 AM
I dunno if he'll last until we pick but I want TJ Watt like no tomorrow. High ceiling, high floor. I think he'll test worse than some would expect since I don't think he's a burner, but I think he'll be a darn fine NFL pass rusher.

He's rated around 10th in his position group from what I've seen. Packers will be able to draft him if they want him.

pbmax
01-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Packers eligible for 2 compensatory picks, but only get one for Hayward as Tolzien is ranked one spot over the limit. 5th comp pick of 5th round.

http://overthecap.com/projecting-2017-compensatory-draft-picks/

red
01-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Packers eligible for 2 compensatory picks, but only get one for Hayward as Tolzien is ranked one spot over the limit. 5th comp pick of 5th round.

http://overthecap.com/projecting-2017-compensatory-draft-picks/

seems low for a guy that signed a 5.1 million dollar a year deal

Bretsky
01-08-2017, 10:22 PM
hate to curse the idea of TJ Watt being a Badger, but I'm on the wagon for GB to draft him...just iike...........Troy Vincent ....lol

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2017, 11:11 PM
He's rated around 10th in his position group from what I've seen. Packers will be able to draft him if they want him.

I think he'll be a lot higher come draft time. He will be a first round pick I would think.

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Getting T.J. Watt as a bargain pick - 2nd or 3rd round - would be great. I'm not so sure we don't need other things more in the first round - like maybe a cover Corner. If you think about it, though, several of our perceived needs have kinda melted away recently - RB, WR, TE, O Line, D Line, maybe even ILB. All of those things have begun to look pretty solid.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Bloodline is like speed, you can't teach it. I like Watt. He's got a great future in the NFL.

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Getting T.J. Watt as a bargain pick - 2nd or 3rd round - would be great. I'm not so sure we don't need other things more in the first round - like maybe a cover Corner. If you think about it, though, several of our perceived needs have kinda melted away recently - RB, WR, TE, O Line, D Line, maybe even ILB. All of those things have begun to look pretty solid.

There is no way he is lasting that long. I think there is about a 20% chance at best he lasts until the Packers pick. He is probably the #2 pass rusher. Tim Williams from Alabama is a great pass rusher - clearly more talented - but he has been in trouble and my gut feeling is his floor is a lot lower.

TJ is a Watt, so you know he's going to work hard and be a good locker room guy. While his ceiling may be less high than a Tim Williams, I think his floor is a lot higher. I like him a lot.

Maxie the Taxi
01-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Deshaun Watson is a keeper. He looked like Arod last night. At this point he looks to be the best among a strong group of QB prospects. Can you imagine the Giants or the Patriots somehow winding up with this kid to take over for Eli or Brady? Or how about Denver, Buffalo, the Jets, the Texans, hell even the Bears or the Vikings? IMO this guy could turn a good team lacking a strong QB into a real contender.

Guiness
01-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Reading the little puff piece on Jabrill Peppers

A Heisman Trophy finalist in 2016, Peppers played both defensive back and linebacker in his three years at Michigan and also was a dynamic punt returner who led the Big Ten in punt return yards last season.

A DE that returned punts? WTF?

red
01-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Jabill is a db who played lb in college, but there's no way he can do that in the pros

I think he weights 205

Fritz
01-11-2017, 06:16 AM
Jabill is a db who played lb in college, but there's no way he can do that in the pros

I think he weights 205

Yeah, here in southeast Michigan many fans are all hot for the Loins to take Peppers. Go ahead, I say. He came in as a corner, then was switched to safety, supposedly because the team "needed" him there, but in truth he wasn't a very good corner. I don't think he's got that twitch and speed, nor does he have great length. Then this year they made him a kind of hybrid safety/linebacker. He ran some plays on offense, trick end-around kind of stuff mostly.

To me, he's a bunch of hype. All show and not much go.

Patler
01-11-2017, 07:00 AM
Then this year they made him a kind of hybrid safety/linebacker.

It seems to me those types of guys in college seldom seem to find a good fit in NFL defenses. As ST specialists, yes, but not on defense.

Fritz
01-11-2017, 07:01 AM
I would agree.

As for the compensation pick, it seems as if the Packers inevitable end up with fifth-round picks, whether the guy signs with someone else with a huge contract but has a lousy year (Tramon Williams) or signs for an okay contract but has a very good year (Casey Hayward).

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2017, 07:31 AM
There is no way he is lasting that long. I think there is about a 20% chance at best he lasts until the Packers pick. He is probably the #2 pass rusher. Tim Williams from Alabama is a great pass rusher - clearly more talented - but he has been in trouble and my gut feeling is his floor is a lot lower.

TJ is a Watt, so you know he's going to work hard and be a good locker room guy. While his ceiling may be less high than a Tim Williams, I think his floor is a lot higher. I like him a lot.

On the other hand, T.J. has already had a couple serious injuries, and even J.J. is starting to be a little bit prone to injury at too young an age. Somebody said he is rated the 10th best pass rushing LB? I doubt he is the tenth picked, but I'd be surprised if he went before the Packers pick in the first round, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was still there in the second, especially with a bit of a trade up.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 08:31 AM
On the other hand, T.J. has already had a couple serious injuries, and even J.J. is starting to be a little bit prone to injury at too young an age. Somebody said he is rated the 10th best pass rushing LB? I doubt he is the tenth picked, but I'd be surprised if he went before the Packers pick in the first round, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was still there in the second, especially with a bit of a trade up.I didn't know about the injuries. I like Watt, but he looks kind of slender from the waist down. Maybe he's still young and developing and will put on some weight once he's in an NFL strength program.

Cheesehead Craig
01-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Agree on Peppers, he's a SS prospect with limited coverage skills. He's going to help out vs the run, but he's going to be a liability vs the pass. Someone's going to draft him too high, IMO. He's a great athlete though with outstanding straight away speed (like Janis).

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Agree on Peppers, he's a SS prospect with limited coverage skills. He's going to help out vs the run, but he's going to be a liability vs the pass. Someone's going to draft him too high, IMO. He's a great athlete though with outstanding straight away speed (like Janis).Peppers kind of reminds me of last year's phenom Miles Killebrew (sp). Same kind of hybrid player that was hyped up the draft board. Turned out to be a SS, not a super star.

On the other hand, Su'a Cravens is the same body type and he's making out pretty good as an ILB.

So, with all these guys, the proof is in the pudding.

pbmax
01-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 31m31 minutes ago
This draft has the deepest/most talented group of CBs I've seen in several years. Also, loaded with edge rushers, safeties, RBs and TEs.

pbmax
01-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Reese's Senior BowlVerified account
‏@seniorbowl
Congrats to @LSUfootball CB @Trewhite16 (Tre'Davious White) for accepting his invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl! #Reeses #SeniorBowl

Fran Duffy ‏@fduffy3 2m2 minutes ago
Smooth. Instinctive. Great ballskills. Versatile. White will be one of the best players in Mobile. Thrilled to see him in person.

Fritz
01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 31m31 minutes ago
This draft has the deepest/most talented group of CBs I've seen in several years. Also, loaded with edge rushers, safeties, RBs and TEs.

That quote was clearly made up by a Packer fan.

MadScientist
01-12-2017, 12:28 PM
The correlation between SPARQ rating and Packer personnel transactions is striking. I've been watching it for a while now. I posted the following in early September:

Yes, Spriggs is rated #10, but what's more telling is Lucas Patrick is rated #7 and he happens to be on TT's practice squad.

Look at where these other Packers fare with respect to SPARQ position rankings:

Beau Sandland #3; Josh Hawkins #7; Kentrell Brice #10; Trevor Davis #11; Ty Montgomery #15; Jermaine Whitehead #15; Marwin Evans #18; John Crockett #19; Keith Baxter #20; Christian Ringo #35; Joe Kerridge #37.

Virtually everytime TT puts an "unknown" name on the roster or the practice squad, that player's SPARQ rating is off the charts, or at least in the top 50. In many cases these lesser known players have SPARQ position ratings higher than those of the more recognizable, marquee players.

I'm not saying it's TT's only criteria and a high SPARQ position rating is by no means a guarantee of success in the NFL, but it seems to be a better indicator than most and I have to believe TT puts an inordinate amount of stock in it.

Davis was #11, Allison #120. SPARQ ain't everything.

Maxie the Taxi
01-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Nobody said it was.

On the other hand, Allison was ranked:

11 spots higher than Kenny Lawler (drafted 7th Rnd Seahawks)

72 spots higher than Daniel Braverman (7th Rnd Bears)

29 spots higher than Aaron Burbridge (6th Rnd San Francisco)

43 spots higher than Pharoh Cooper (4th Rnd Rams)

Not too shabby.

Joemailman
01-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Packers pick now between 25-32.

Packers are 7-1 since Red started this thread.

Joemailman
01-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Joemailman

Packers pick now between 29-32.

red
01-18-2017, 05:46 PM
lots of people saying we need to draft a CB or a WR

but we might have to seriously take a look at OLB

nick perry will be a free agent, and should be re signed, but who knows what TT is thinking

peppers should be retired, his one play every 5 or 6 games just doesn't cut it, and besides those few big plays he's almost invisible

and i know clay is the great blonde haired blue eyed hope, but this is probably his worst season yet as a pro. he's a far cry from being one of the best defensive players in the nfl, and doesn't come close to earning his pay

Joemailman
01-18-2017, 05:53 PM
lots of people saying we need to draft a CB or a WR

but we might have to seriously take a look at OLB

nick perry will be a free agent, and should be re signed, but who knows what TT is thinking

peppers should be retired, his one play every 5 or 6 games just doesn't cut it, and besides those few big plays he's almost invisible

and i know clay is the great blonde haired blue eyed hope, but this is probably his worst season yet as a pro. he's a far cry from being one of the best defensive players in the nfl, and doesn't come close to earning his pay

CB and OLB are the 2 biggest needs. Probably a better chance of a CB worthy of a 1st round pickbeing available when the Packers pick than OLB. You never know, but it's a strong CB class.

gbgary
01-18-2017, 06:09 PM
early on i wanted a weapon for Rodgers in the 1st round but the db situation is so dire they've got go that direction...unless we can plug in a FA for a year. if they go o i want a wr or te.

pbmax
01-18-2017, 06:20 PM
early on i wanted a weapon for Rodgers in the 1st round but the db situation is so dire they've got go that direction...unless we can plug in a FA for a year. if they go o i want a wr or te.

Wide receivers are round 2.

Guiness
01-22-2017, 03:37 PM
*sigh*
time to bring this thread to the top?

esoxx
01-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Partial was right. Just saw a mock and they had TJ Watt going at pick 22 in 1st round. Likely won't fall to the Pack if they indeed want him.

red
01-22-2017, 04:56 PM
we need 2 cb's

at least 1 ILB of color

probably a guard and other o-line depth that doesn't include don barclay

a running back

OLB cause clay is worthless and too expensive and peppers should have retired last year and perry is a FA

and those are starters we need

Freak Out
01-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Defense, defense, defense.

esoxx
01-22-2017, 05:33 PM
We've drafted heavy in recent years on defense.

Maybe make some better picks?

Bretsky
01-22-2017, 05:52 PM

WAY TO GO RED
You F'CKED UP OUR DRAFT POSITION !!

Joemailman
01-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Packers pick 29th. Last time they picked 29th they drafted Nick Barnett.

run pMc
01-22-2017, 09:40 PM
we need 2 cb's

at least 1 ILB of color

probably a guard and other o-line depth that doesn't include don barclay

a running back

OLB cause clay is worthless and too expensive and peppers should have retired last year and perry is a FA

and those are starters we need

I hope we're not expecting 6 new starters, or the early season could be rough. That said, I mostly agree with the needs you've listed.

King Friday
01-22-2017, 09:45 PM
The only player we NEED to draft offensively is a RB...because Lacy is gone and there are gerbils with a higher IQ than Michaels. I'm sure we'll take some OL prospects later in the draft.

Otherwise...lots of defense...and Ted needs to start going AWAY from his tendencies when it comes to LBs and CBs, because he hasn't picked an impact player at those positions in a long time.

bobblehead
01-23-2017, 06:26 AM
seems low for a guy that signed a 5.1 million dollar a year deal

And made the probowl.

Cheesehead Craig
01-23-2017, 08:00 AM
I thought I heard of a mock where we draft Christian McCaffrey. He's a 3 down back, that's for sure.

Joemailman
01-24-2017, 05:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000778266/article/threeround-mock-draft-deshaun-watson-goes-no-1-to-browns

Chad Reuter 3 Round mock Draft:

Packers:

1 (29) T.J. Watt - OLB - Wisconsin
2 (61) Fabian Moreau - CB - UCLA
3 (93) De'Veon Smith - RB - Michigan

vince
01-24-2017, 07:41 AM
I don't know squat about this draft class yet, but Fabian Moreau looks good at first glance. Well-built, agile and supposedly fast.

Here's a rundown from the East-West Shrine Game and some video with comments from Mayock.

What we learned from Shrine Game: Moreau could be 1st-rounder (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000777165/article/what-we-learned-from-shrine-game-moreau-could-be-1strounder)

They're saying 15 corners could be selected top 40 picks. That's promising.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Partial was right. Just saw a mock and they had TJ Watt going at pick 22 in 1st round. Likely won't fall to the Pack if they indeed want him.

I'm seeing multiple mocks of him not even going in the 1st round.

pbmax
01-24-2017, 08:46 AM
I just cannot imagine TJ Watt as a first round pick. But I am routinely terrible at projecting college players to pros.

ThunderDan
01-24-2017, 09:01 AM
I do not want to spend a 1st round pick on Watt. I hope he is gone before we pick.

jklowan
01-27-2017, 08:11 AM
i know it's early, but I'm bored, My first mock...

29: R1P29 - TE O.J. HOWARD / ALABAMA
61: R2P29 - CB FABIAN MOREAU / UCLA
93: R3P29 - RB D'ONTA FOREMAN / TEXAS
133: R4P28 - LB MARQUEL LEE / WAKE FOREST
173: R5P28 - EDGE TYUS BOWSER / HOUSTON
181: R5P36 - DL CHARLES WALKER / OKLAHOMA
213: R6P28 - G GREG PYKE / GEORGIA
250: R7P29 - CB JACK TOCHO / NC STATE

jklowan
01-27-2017, 08:28 AM
1 more...

29: R1P29 - LB RAEKWON MCMILLAN / OHIO STATE
93: R3P29 - LB DUKE RILEY / LSU
133: R4P28 - TE COLE HIKUTINI / LOUISVILLE
173: R5P28 - RB JOE MIXON / OKLAHOMA
181: R5P36 - EDGE TYUS BOWSER / HOUSTON
213: R6P28 - G JOHNNY CASPERS / STANFORD
250: R7P29 - CB JALEN MYRICK / MINNESOTA

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Right now with the money invested in overpaid players and free agents at OLB the Packers are going to have to invest on pass rushers early in the 2017 draft. Just looking at the list of available OLBs the paper looks pretty thin.

Tim Williams from Alabama is a pass rush specialist.
Devonte Fields from Louisville, but he has a ton of baggage like punching a girlfriend in the face.
Vince Beigel from Wisconsin could be a steal if he lasts to the fourth round.
Ryan Anderson from Alabama has a little baggage charged with domestic assault this past summer.

Best player available on defense might be the way to go, otherwise look at a running back, tight end, or receiver in the first round. The Packers can always use inside linemen on defense although Thompson's draft record on defensive linemen aint real great.

pbmax
01-27-2017, 07:09 PM
3rd Round?

http://deadspin.com/everyones-getting-horny-over-a-villanova-defensive-line-1791702523

Tanoh Kpassagnon

Let the buyer beware, this kid won the unitard olympics and got breathless coverage from every NFL Twitter account you have never heard of.

Gil BrandtVerified account ‏@Gil_Brandt Jan 25
Good day at @seniorbowl to watch pass rush v pro drills. Some rushers to watch:

T.Basham
DJ Smoot
C.Wormley
I.Rochell
J.Willis
T.Kpassagnon

pbmax
01-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Emory Hunt ‏@FBallGameplan 8h8 hours ago
.@NovaFootball's Tanoh Kpassagnon found multiple ways to win in 1-on-1s; he has that Maliek Collins upside IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sS0OnaF6Tk

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2017, 10:02 PM
1 more...

29: R1P29 - LB RAEKWON MCMILLAN / OHIO STATE
93: R3P29 - LB DUKE RILEY / LSU
133: R4P28 - TE COLE HIKUTINI / LOUISVILLE
173: R5P28 - RB JOE MIXON / OKLAHOMA
181: R5P36 - EDGE TYUS BOWSER / HOUSTON
213: R6P28 - G JOHNNY CASPERS / STANFORD
250: R7P29 - CB JALEN MYRICK / MINNESOTA

I'd be pleased to get Joe Mixon - despite the baggage. He's damn good for a 5th rounder - damn good for anything below 1st round. Other than that, this sounds pretty good position-wise. But what the hell is an "EDGE"?

BZnDallas
01-27-2017, 11:20 PM
Early first round prediction is Charles Harris DE Missouri. I'm guessing the three headed trio of MM/TT/Dom still think Randall and Rollins are capable and blame their funk this year on injuries. Which I can understand as it sure seems like that is what happened to Adams. And with the need at CB with the loss of Sam, I think they address it in FA (hopefully) or later in the draft. So that makes me think they go OLB and I think Harris has the body type and speed to play that edge rusher. So he's my way to early draft prediction.

Zool
01-28-2017, 12:53 AM
Emory Hunt ‏@FBallGameplan 8h8 hours ago
.@NovaFootball's Tanoh Kpassagnon found multiple ways to win in 1-on-1s; he has that Maliek Collins upside IMO

1. Where the hell is Towson? I've never heard of half the schools in the video.
2. Did he go to Villanova to play basketball but couldn't make it?
3. Can he possibly get low enough to hit a QB below the helmet? Guy is like 6"9.

Maxie the Taxi
01-28-2017, 07:23 AM
I'd be pleased to get Joe Mixon - despite the baggage. He's damn good for a 5th rounder - damn good for anything below 1st round. Other than that, this sounds pretty good position-wise. But what the hell is an "EDGE"?It's the thing on the sharp side of a knife blade that will cut you. Maybe you should start a thread on it. hahahaha

pbmax
01-28-2017, 09:20 AM
1. Where the hell is Towson? I've never heard of half the schools in the video.
2. Did he go to Villanova to play basketball but couldn't make it?
3. Can he possibly get low enough to hit a QB below the helmet? Guy is like 6"9.

All I know is that Howie Long went to Villanova and this means he must be great since I have now heard of him.

But at 6' 9", he either has great leverage or he gets shoved around in the pros. Sorta like KGB.

Towson is either in Maryland or its a Community College in the Susquehanna Valley.

RashanGary
01-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Wish we would have been drafting higher. Zach Cunningham is the kind of super fast, smart, explosive player we need in the middle. Then we could take one of these corners and our defense might start looking respectable!

RashanGary
01-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Sign Zack Brown from Buffalo
1st pick Draft edge rusher in deep draft
2nd pick Draft corner in deep corner draft

Kenny Clark, Randall, Lowry, Martinez and others improve

Could be a good defense in 2017 with help like this!

pbmax
01-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Senior Bowl Practice Scouting by MATT WALDMAN

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/01/26/2017-senior-bowl-practice-wrap-offense/?utm_content=buffer20431&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

CAUGHT MY EYE - POSITIVE
WR Isaiah Jones, East Carolina: The thing I appreciated about Jones all week was the smoothness of his routes and his ability to get on top of a defender early in his pattern. He did this twice on go routes during Day Three’s practice and it echoed what I’ve seen from him on tape.

WR Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington: Kupp made his job look easy this week. The worst rep I saw from him in three days was a quick breaking hitch that was poorly timed with the pass and the target bounced off Kupp’s chest well before he even thought to look for the ball, much less raise his arms to greet it. Kupp routinely earned separation against all types of coverage and he could win the ball in the air. If I had to pick one receiver for my team from this event, I’d take Kupp.

TE Jonnu Smith, FIU: I have more to see because I haven’t studied Smith yet, but his overall play caught my eye repeatedly this week. He’s quick, he tracks the ball well into his hands, he earns position well against tight coverage, he shows promise as a pass protector. Smith got beat with one inside move early on in Day Three drills but didn’t lose to another defender for the final four reps. He dropped multiple passes, but based on his tracking, hand position, and the defender’s efforts on these drops, I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is more reliable than what my observations suggest.

RB Matt Dayes, NC State: The Wolfpack runner was smooth and explosive.

TE Evan Engram, Ole Miss: The most consistent route runner and pass catcher at the position all week.

WR Fred Ross, Mississippi St: Getting to see Ross improve his route running before our eyes added value to his projection because he arrived to Mobile a reasonably sure-handed and athletic option.

WR Chad Williams, Grambling: His consistent performances against top college talent was a validation of the athletic ability I saw from him on tape. It will be easier to project his development potential after seeing him make small improvements throughout this week while winning mostly on his physical ability.

RB Jamaal Williams, BYU: There wasn’t a lot to see, but he had a few moments to give a brief demonstration of the burst, decisiveness, and agility that I’ve seen on tape.

CAUGHT MY EYE - NEGATIVE
WR Jalen Robinette, Air Force: His routes aren’t smooth, they lack burst, and his size and I have doubts that his catch radius will compensate for his difficulty getting separation at the next level.

TE Jeremy Sprinkle, Arkansas: Sprinkle has upside as a blocker and short area receiver, but he’s a lumbering athlete compared to those at this game. He also lacks coordination with his arm movement. Because of his size and strength, it’s sometimes a happy accident that he clubs a defender with a forearm or fist when the intent was to avoid the opponent with a release move.

TE O.J. Howard, Alabama: A false start penalty, multiple dropped passes, poor effort on a catch able target, and lining up with a stance that you’d think would have been addressed at Alabama were among the things that confirmed my concerns about Howard on tape. Howard is the most impressive athlete at the position in Mobile, but his approach to the game is a detriment to his ability.

RB Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego St: I hate it, but his weight is an issue. If you’ve read my work in the past, you know that I have a wider range than most when it comes to physical dimensions. Running back is one of the widest for me in this respect. But Pumphrey’s 169-pound frame that’s also far skinnier than Darren Sproles’ thick-legged build at Kansas State concerns me. I have no doubt about Pumphrey’s skills. If he was 185-pounds, I’d consider him a viable committee option. Unless he can add and keep 10-15 pounds, I’m skeptical that he’ll earn a roster spot.

WR Ryan Switzer, UNC: He had a strong week as a route runner and reliable receiver, but with one exception—targets requiring a wide, but convertible catch radius. This also confirmed one of my concerns about Switzer’s upside.

MORE TO SEE
RB Corey Clement, Wisconsin: I liked that he was the aggressive with his punch during pass protection drills. I also liked his receiving ability. But I didn’t see good decisions between the tackles and I only saw enough tape on Clement prior to this week that his vision in Mobile differs from my early studies.

All the Quarterbacks: This is not the place to seriously study the position unless you’re getting to review tape and whiteboard with the player. Even Nate Peterman, who I thought displayed the best decision-making, pinpoint accuracy, and polish at the position (things I didn’t remotely have the opportunity to see with anyone else playing quarterback in Mobile this week), didn’t have a rep where I could gauge his arm talent to its fullest.

WR Amba Etta-Tawo, Syracuse: Although a finger dislocation mitigates some of his issues catching targets over his head, I thought stems, breaks, and position on the ball had a lot of inconsistencies this week.

WR Amara Darboh: I liked what he did against coverage a lot more than the routes he ran during drills. That can be interpreted as a positive, but Darboh wasn’t facing NFL defenders and the drills and instruction were based on what will be needed in the pros.

RB Kareem Hunt: I didn’t see much that was negative, but there weren’t enough reps to take away positives. I think any observations about his burst are rife with projection based on how observers liked Hunt on film before seeing him in Mobile. I’m sidestepping that potential trap.

RB De’Veon Smith: There’s little doubt he can catch the football and there’s enough burst in his legs that he be a tough tackle with momentum behind his 220-pound frame. I still need to examine where I should separate the Michigan offensive line from Smith’s performances.

WR Jamari Staples, Louisville: The tall, lanky receiver is fluid at the catch point and not fazed by tight coverage or contact. This was also evident on tape. What I didn’t see in Mobile is refined route running, strong releases at the line of scrimmage, and skill after the catch. I’m hoping additional film study will provide better answers.

WR Artavis Scott, Clemson: Can Scott be a quality outside receiver? This week offered signs with his route running and catch radius. I need more film evidence to support this idea.

TE Gerald Everett, South Alabama: This is the first time I’ve seen Everett and I liked the quickness and skill to track the ball. I only saw one dropped pass, but I want to determine how much his smaller than average hands will actually matter at the next level. I also didn’t see enough of him as a blocker.

RE-EVALUATE
WR Trent Taylor, Louisiana Tech: If you asked me before the Senior Bowl how I thought Taylor would fare, my answer was positive. I was excited to see him show a little more than his projected slot role and I thought he’d out-perform Ryan Switzer. Instead, Taylor failed to earn separation against press coverage and he made too many moves as a route runner, often faking himself out and missing the target. Eliminate some of the extra moves and there is enough talent for Taylor to become a slot option in the NFL. But he struggled mightily against press coverage and I need a few more games of study to project his upside.

pbmax
01-28-2017, 03:54 PM
SENIOR BOWL PRACTICE SCOUTING DEFENSE: JENE BRAMEL
https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/01/26/senior-bowl-practice-wrap-defense/

Of note: I planned to focus on the defensive backs for both rosters on Day 3. Poor quarterback accuracy, inconsistent wide receiver routes, and generally poor cornerback play on few repetitions made evaluation difficult. I did not feel any one cornerback stood out in individual drills. In fact, I liked multiple safeties better than the cornerbacks in one-on-one coverage drills. Two safeties in particular—Obi Melifonwu and John Johnson—arguably had better footwork and change of direction skills than any cornerbacks in Day 3 drills. Earlier in the week, evaluators I trust had good things to say about Miami’s Corn Elder, San Diego State’s Damontae Kazee, LSU’s Tre’Davious White, and Lamar’s Brendan Langley. White did not participate in Day 3 drills due to injury.

POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE MAKERS

Obi Melifonwu | DB | Connecticut

Melifonwu was one of many defenders with striking weigh-in measurables. Of that group, the Connecticut defensive back was the only one to be equally impressive on the field. Long, tall defensive backs often have difficulty opening their hips and changing directions. Melifonwu did so effortlessly in individual drills. The North coaches routinely asked him to match up one-on-one against wide receivers in individual drills and Melifonwu more than held his own. Though a little grabby at times, Melifonwu was comfortable in his stance, never guessed on a route, and showed easy recovery speed when needed. He often looked like he was gliding next to a receiver or tight end who looked to be running at full speed. Melifonwu was never matched up against the week’s most refined wide receiver Cooper Kupp in the slot but his consistent coverage reps will have scouts drooling over his combination of size (6-4, 219) and potential versatility.

Haason Reddick | LB | Temple

Reddick was arguably the best defensive prospect on either roster this week. Reddick held his own in coverage against running backs in individual drills, showed an improved understanding of reading defensive keys in team drills as the week progressed, and was more effective off the edge than most of this week’s edge prospects. Though he saw very few snaps as an inside linebacker at Temple, that’s where NFL teams are likely to see Reddick. While there’s still a learning curve to navigate, this week’s practices strongly suggest Reddick can be successful there.

Justin Evans | DB | Texas A&M

Evans didn’t practice on Day 3 due to injury. He wasn’t as striking on the field as Melifonwu but his coverage skills were impressive earlier in the week. Evans showed no difficulty getting to the sideline from a centerfield position. NFL defenses must have players in the secondary with range and ball skills and Evans’ playing style will fit with any scheme.

PLEASANT SURPRISES WARRANTING FURTHER STUDY

Tyus Bowser | EDGE | Houston

I quickly reviewed two cutups on Bowser early this week and didn’t see an explosive linebacker talent. But Bowser looked as comfortable changing direction as any linebacker in drills this week and had a very high success rate in one-on-one pass rush drills. He struggled when asked to cover downfield routes but held his own on routes developing in front of him. Lance Zierlein tweeted that Bowser could be a top 100 pick and others I spoke with were equally impressed with his week of practice. I’m looking forward to watching his college tape with a more critical eye.

Tarell Basham | EDGE | Ohio

I felt Basham had the most consistent week of practice among the edge rushers. Others (D.J. Smoot, Daeshon Hall, Tyus Bowser) may have flashed brighter at times but Basham showed success setting the edge and demonstrated a variety of pass rush moves. His pass rush will have to mature over time but it’s always good to see a prospect execute a plan in drills and then carry his good play into 11-on-11 reps which are always less conducive to success than the one-on-one pit drills.

John Johnson | DB | Boston College

Johnson looked like gravity didn’t apply to him when high-pointing balls downfield during defensive back drills. Like Melifonwu, Johnson stayed with the cornerbacks in one-on-ones against the wide receiver and tight end groups rather than working with the other safeties against running backs. Johnson wasn’t as fluid as Melifonwu but was comfortable in coverage. It’s a deep safety group this year but Johnson has a chance to play every down on Sundays as a rookie.

Duke Riley | LB | LSU

As I wrote yesterday, I wasn’t as impressed with Riley on Day 1 as others but I began coming around on Day 2. Last year, Riley’s teammate, Deion Jones, attracted my attention after a strong Senior Bowl week. Jones’ film reinforced many of the things he did in Mobile. Should Riley’s practice attributes be supported by game film, Jones may get some attention in the early rounds.

ATHLETES WITH UPSIDE

Tanoh Kpassagnon | EDGE | Villanova

There were moments for Kpassagnon this week but not enough to generate the same buzz his weigh-in result did. A work in progress, Kpassagnon’s size and athleticism has drawn comparisons to Carlos Dunlap. While that comparison is not yet warranted, Kpassagnon has measurables that cannot be taught. If he improves his pad level, footwork, and learns a more mature array of pass rush moves, he could blossom into an elite edge player. That rarely happens quickly. Thankfully, NFL teams know it takes time for pass rushers to mature and Kpassagnon’s physical attributes will give him time to develop.

Daeshon Hall | EDGE | Texas A&M
D.J. Smoot | EDGE | Illinois

Both Hall and Smoot flashed strong edge rush capability in the pit and in team drills this week. They also, unfortunately, disappeared for stretches of practice. Smoot sometimes seemed to rely on guessing the snap count to get a jump against more talented opponents. Hall didn’t show a viable counter moves in one-on-one drills. Both have upside. Like Kpassagnon, both will require time to develop.

PLAYERS WHO NEED CONSISTENCY at COMBINE and PRO DAY WORKOUTS

Ryan Anderson | EDGE | Alabama

Anderson showed a quick first step on film against his best competition this year. That step wasn’t evident during practices and he did not win any of his limited one-on-one matchups against the offensive line. He also looked slow in his transitions and didn’t move in coverage nearly as well as Bowser. That may have been due to injury as Anderson didn’t participate in practice on Day 3. He’ll need to test well at the Combine and show better movement skills or risk falling behind in a deep edge class.

Alex Anzalone | LB | Florida

I thought Anzalone did well this week in drills and he frequently drew praise from his position coaches here. But I’m not convinced his foot speed is sufficient and there were enough question marks in his coverage against Senior Bowl level running back competition to wonder whether he’ll ever be capable of an every-down role in the NFL. He’s another player who will need to test well – especially in lateral movement and change of direction drills – to convince teams he has starting upside.

Damonte Kazee | CB | San Diego State

I spoke with Turron Davenport – who helped turn me on to Deone Bucannon in 2014 when I had my eye on Jimmie Ward and Terrence Brooks – earlier this week about cornerbacks to watch. He made a point of mentioning Kazee, who he sees as a physical talent with above-average ball skills. Kazee struggled at times this week to effectively jam receivers and not use his hands too much downfield, but the physical play Davenport noted was evident. He’ll need to clean up his technique to be successful in the NFL, but Kazee might fit as a slot corner or better as a rookie.

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2017, 10:08 AM
The Packers have needs for this draft and a lot of that is dependent on what they do with their own players during free agency. They should cut Clay Matthews and use his 28 million dollars he is due over the next two years, but I don't think they will. If Clay Matthews was such a good inside linebacker they would have kept him there, he has very little instinct as an inside linebacker. He played the entire 2015 season at inside linebacker and racked up barely 70 total tackles from that position. Oh, he made the Pro Bowl you say? Who cares, watch some film with the volume turned off of his last two seasons and I guarantee you will not see a player worth damn near 30 million dollars. Because of free agency at the OLB position I fear that Clay Matthews will return and sucker the rest of you into believing the magic has returned when he makes one or two impact plays in the first two weeks of the season. He will start guessing on gaps and leave holes in the defense when he misses the tackle in the back field and then he will eventually tear up his hamstrings. At the end of the year he will have 4 sacks and force maybe one turn over.

So long story short, pass rush is a need
Edge Rushers
1st Round Possibilities
Derek Barnett Tennessee
Taco Charlton Michigan
Takkarist McKinley UCLA
Tim Williams Alabama
Charles Harris Missouri
Demarcus Walker FSU
Carl Lawson Auburn
Other Rounds
Haasan Reddick Temple
Ryan Anderson Alabama
Tanoh Kpassagnon Villanova
Daeshon Hall Texas A&M
Devonte Fields Louisville
Vince Biegel Wisconsin

Secondary, loss of Sam Shields and injuries were a drain on the secondary. Without a constant pass rush their inexperience, and lack of athleticism was magnified. The Packers have Randall, Rollins, and Gunter. I think out of the three you 3 guys that could potentially make up 3/4 of your starting, nickle, and dime packages, but what they lack is a true cover corner or #1 corner that they lost in Sam Shields. The Packers can also look to build their secondary drafting another safety.
1st Round Possibilities
Marlon Humphrey Alabama
Sidney Jones Washington
Desmond King Iowa
Cordrea Tankersley Clemson
Jourdan Lewis Michigan
Jamal Adams LSU
Jabrill Peppers Michigan
Other Rounds
Obi Melifonwu UConn
Justin Evans Texas A&M
Gareon Conley Ohio St.
Cameron Sutton Tennessee
Quincy Wilson Florida

Defensive line, the Packers simply don't have enough bodies to keep an even rotation. They have some talent but not a enough to make a difference late in the season. Primarily the Packers look for their line to take up blocks in the run game and hold gaps during passing down to open up rushing lanes for their blitzers. Its not good enough with a young secondary, linemen have to have the ability to harass the QB. The Packers should look to acquire depth and potential in the mid rounds of the draft.
1st Round Possibilities
Malik McDowell Michigan St
Caleb Brantley Florida
Carlos Watkins Clemson
Other Rounds
Elijah Qualls Washington
Jaleel Johnson Iowa
Larry Ogunjobi Charlotte
Dalvin Tomlinson Alabama
Steve Tu'ikolovatu USC

Inside Linebacker, Packers have young linebackers in the middle. Ryan and Martinez will be in their third and second years respectively. They both started the season strong but injuries took their toll at the midway point of the season. It is hard to tell what the Packers have in the middle and if they need to draft a true run stuffing thumper, or look to draft a legitimate nickle/dime inside linebacker that can potentially match up with tight ends and running backs.
1st Round Possibilities
Raekwon McMillan Ohio St
Zach Cunningham Vanderbilt
Other Rounds
Alex Anzalone Florida
Jarrad Davis Florida
Connor Harris Lindenwood
Harvey Langi BYU

Deputy Nutz
01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Running Back, If the Packers rely on Montgomery for the bulk of the work load he will break down and be ineffective come December. The Packers could chose to sign Lacy and have an above average combination at the position as long as Lacy remains healthy and stays in shape. If Lacy is no longer an option for the Packers they could look to the draft.
1st round possibilities
Christian McCaffrey Standford
Other Rounds
D'Onta Foreman Texas
Joe Mixon Oklahoma
Samaje Perine Oklahoma
Kareem Hunt Toledo
James Connor Pitt

Wide Receiver, not the healthiest bunch at the end of the 2016 season. Packers should look to add a receiver in the draft with hopes that he can contribute in 2017. They could potentially look in the 1st round if the right player was there.
1st Round Possibilities
Corey Davis W. Michigan
Curtis Samuel Ohio St
JuJu Smith-Schuster USC
Other Rounds
Cooper Kupp E. Washington
Dede Westbrook Oklahoma
Malachi Dupre LSU
Fred Ross Mississippi

Tight End, Packers need to find the right combination and maybe that is still Cook and Rodgers, but Cook has to demonstrate that he can consistently contribute for an entire season, and I am not quite sure what value Rodgers brings. He is slow, struggles to hold the edge in the running game, and struggles to beat one on one coverage. If Cook leaves the Packers have to address this position in the draft.
1st Round Possibilities
O.J. Howard Alabama
David Njoku Miam
Other Rounds
Bucky Hodges Virginia Tech
Jordan Leggett Clemson
Jake Butte Michigan
Cole Hikutini Louisville

Offensive line, Thompson will look to add especially if Lang and Tretter are lost to free agency.
1st Round Possibilities
Forest Lamp W. Kentucky
Dion Dawkins Temple
Ryan Ramcyzk Wisconsin
Other Rounds
Dorian Johnson Pitt
Nico Siragusa San Diego St.

pbmax
01-30-2017, 01:13 PM
CollegeFootball @NFL_CFB

"Haason Reddick had the best week of anybody here." - @MikeMayock

#Seniorbowl @Temple_FB

pbmax
02-01-2017, 12:09 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 13m13 minutes ago
Just draft a real RB 3rd -4th round. Somebody from the Big Ten.

FIXED IN ONE STEP!

vince
02-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Mark me down as a Sidney Jones fan. He's been mocked to GB by some, gone by then by others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUGPg4Z1KFs&t=84s

Forget about scheme, Sidney Jones is the top CB prospect in NFL draft (http://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/forget-about-scheme-heres-the-universal-2017-cb-prospect/)

Jones IV, a true junior, is a three-year starter and two-time captain for the Huskies defense. What’s most impressive about Jones is the looseness he shows in spite of his length. He has the ability to rapidly drop feet in a backpedal and then transition into a break to challenge the football. Want him playing up on the line of scrimmage?

No problem.

Jones’ physicality at the line of scrimmage makes him a handful to beat at release. That physicality carries over into run support as well, as Jones is assertive and aggressive playing forward and forcing runs either back inside to help or into the boundary.

His ball skills are accentuated by wonderful click and close ability. From playing off of route stems, Jones has the short areas quickness to attack and cross the face of receivers, putting himself in prime position to challenge the football.

Walter Football's 5th Ranked CB (http://walterfootball.com/draft2017CB.php)
CBSSports 4th Ranked CB, 23rd Overall (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/CB)

Joemailman
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
CBS has Jones going 29th and 30th in their 2 mock drafts. TT does like those Pac 12 guys.

Joemailman
02-03-2017, 05:56 PM
http://walterfootball.com/mocks/nfl/2017/Green-Bay-Packers

Walt's Green Bay Packers Mock Selections

Rd. 1, Pk. 29 Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

The Packers' problems at cornerback are pretty well documented. Sam Shields may never play again, and reports have indicated that he'll be released this offseason. Fortunately for Green Bay, there are a number of talented corners expected to be available at the end of the first round.

Pick change; previously O.J. Howard, TE

Rd. 2, Pk. 29 Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State

Ty Montgomery looked awesome at running back against the Bears, but how sustainable is that? And will Eddie Lacy continue to gain weight? There are lots of questions at running back for the Packers, who can solve them by selecting a talented player like Jeremy McNichols.

Rd. 3, Pk. 29 Ryan Anderson, 3-4OLB/OLB, Alabama

The Packers place great pressure on opposing quarterbacks with Julius Peppers and Nick Perry, but both happen to be impending free agents. Peppers turns 37 in January, while Perry could prove to be too expensive to retain.

Pick change; previously Haason Reddick, DE/OLB

Rd. 4, Pk. 28 Isaac Asiata, G/C, Utah

If the Packers have a weakness on the offensive line, it's at left guard with Lane Taylor. Josh Sitton has been missed, so here's some help.

Charlie's Green Bay Packers Mock Selections

Rd. 1, Pk. 29 Charles Harris, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Missouri

The Packers could lose Nick Perry in free agency, and Julius Peppers is aging. Here's a young edge defender for Green Bay.

Harris started off the 2016 season with underwhelming performances against West Virginia and Eastern Michigan, totaling five tackles in those games. However, he exploded versus Georgia with three sacks and seven tackles. In November, Harris grew red hot, racking up 4.5 sacks over two games. He totaled 61 tackles, 12 tackles for a loss, nine sacks, two passes batted and two forced fumbles on the year.

Harris is a speedy edge rusher who broke out in 2015 with 56 tackles, 18.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks and two forced fumbles. He was a backup as a redshirt freshman in 2014 and notched two sacks. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Harris is a fast edge rusher who puts a lot of heat on the quarterback. He is very similar to Vic Beasley and Shane Ray.

Rd. 2, Pk. 29 Shelton Gibson, WR, West Virginia

The Packers could target receiving depth for Aaron Rodgers, especially with Davante Adams entering the last year of his contract and Jordy Nelson aging with durability concerns.

Gibson notched 43 receptions for 951 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016. Sources say that Gibson has some real speed to him, but isn't the biggest of receivers and needs to improve his route-running. That latter point was an issue for the Bears' 2015 first-round pick, Kevin White, coming out West Virginia because of the Mountaineers' spread offense. Some sources think Gibson should've returned for his senior year to improve on that before going pro, but given the 2017 NFL Draft's weak receiver class, Gibson is being projected into the early rounds.

Pick change; previously Gerald Everett, TE

Rd. 3, Pk. 29 Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech

The Packers grab a receiving tight end.

In 2016, Hodges totaled 48 catches for 691 yards with seven touchdowns. He improved as a junior and could be one of the real value picks in a deep 2017 tight end class. In 2015, Hodges recorded 40 receptions for 530 yards and six scores. He was a redshirt freshman sensation for the Hokies in 2014 and produced the best year ever in terms of receiving production by a freshman tight end at Virginia Tech. The 2014 season saw him haul in 45 catches for 526 yards and six touchdowns.

Hodges (6-6, 249) needs to improve his blocking for the NFL, but he could be a taller version of a Jordan Reed-type tight end.

Pick change; previously Noah Brown, WR

pbmax
02-06-2017, 11:32 AM
NFL is barring prospects who have been accused of violent crimes from attending the Scouting Combine. Policy was adopted last year. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000782513/article/oklahomas-joe-mixon-not-invited-to-nfl-scouting-combine

They are still eligible to be drafted of course, or signed. Which means this is the best example ever of Roger leading the League by Press Release, rather than a desire for actual results.

The new policy barring Joe Mixon and other college prospects convicted of violent crimes from next month's NFL Scouting Combine protects the players from both media scrutiny and an intense round of team interviews that can crack an unrepentant player's agent-scripted facade. It also protects the league from unwanted headlines during its week of nationally televised 40-yard dashes. It's a canny, self-serving PR move disguised as a get-tough policy, and it's counterproductive to the problem it is trying to solve. In other words, it's the most NFL thing the NFL has ever done.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2690689-monday-morning-digest-patriots-dynasty-far-from-over-after-epic-super-bowl-win?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=tsandroid

They should be invited and put up on a stage to answer questions for 30 minutes. Then let the teams have them. This idiotic move just buries the problem where there is no sun.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
That's ridiculous

red
02-06-2017, 05:55 PM
heres why mixon won't get drafted, just incase you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0P43HTGFY

pbmax
02-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 57s57 seconds ago
#Florida's Jarrad Davis, a top 2 LB prospect, will be at the Combine to talk with teams. He'll do all drills including the 40 at UF Pro Day

Radagast
02-07-2017, 12:39 PM
CB's, GB needs CB's

Radagast
02-07-2017, 03:32 PM
It has been said that TT's draft strategy is to always draft the best player available. While I can agree that youth and speed need to be the strong base of the Packers, yet history is showing us that it is simply not enough. If TT is too scared to be bold and make some Player / Draft trades or a combination trade to get a true SHUT DOWN CB, or a monster DE, or ( A Von Miller type) LB that dominates against Offenses, then GB and it's HOF QB will just have to keep settling as Play-off Also ran team.

pbmax
02-07-2017, 04:35 PM
He does not always draft BPA. See Kenny Clark or Derek Sherrod.

Please stop yelling.

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2017, 05:15 PM
If the BPA is O.J. Howard, I'd take him. Certain positions correlate better than others for pro success from college success. Corners don't seem to; D Linemen don't seem to; Rush OLBs are a little bit better that way. If we drafted a Corner in the first round, chances are he would NOT move in immediately as our top Corner. The big problem of losing Shields was that everybody else had to move up one notch - which they proved to be unsuitable for. Drafting a Corner #1 probably would not improve that. Signing a top flight proven Corner, however, should solve that problem. RBs also tend to not correlate success-wise, and I don't think we need one chosen early anyway - with Montgomery, Michael, Ripkowski, and Crockett. If position is the determining factor instead of BPA, I'd go for an athletic rush OLB - NOT a DE that we can convert. That also hasn't been a good way to go in the past. WR also is a position which tends to correlate to. However, I am fairly satisfied with what we have - assuming Jordy Nelson continues to progress toward what he was before the injury.

smuggler
02-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Sidney Jones seems versatile. Reminds me of Woodson. He does a great job inserting a hand and breaking up passes that other corners allow to reach their receivers' hands. He might not be fast enough. Not sure.

Can you explain this comment? I'm not sure on Sherrod, but I do think Clark was BPA for non-receivers. Honestly, he's shown more potential than many of the first rounders from 2016's class.

Joemailman
02-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Please stop yelling.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY WEREN'T BPA? DID YOU SOMEHOW SEE TT'S DRAFT BOARD, MISTER PBMAX?

pbmax
02-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Sidney Jones seems versatile. Reminds me of Woodson. He does a great job inserting a hand and breaking up passes that other corners allow to reach their receivers' hands. He might not be fast enough. Not sure.

Can you explain this comment? I'm not sure on Sherrod, but I do think Clark was BPA for non-receivers. Honestly, he's shown more potential than many of the first rounders from 2016's class.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY WEREN'T BPA? DID YOU SOMEHOW SEE TT'S DRAFT BOARD, MISTER PBMAX?

After Raji left and Guion was busted in the WeedCash Estate Wagon, it was clear they needed D line help. If Clark was the highest rated player on the board, I am sure they were happy. But highest or not, when he got a first round grade from the team, GB was taking him.

Sherrod might have been the last Tackle with a first round grade (by some services) but he was not a lock to get picked at the end of Round 1. Packers had a definite need at tackle as Chad Clifton was old, Tauscher was out and Bulaga was needed at RT.

Thompson has not stuck simply to BPA at other times as well. I think BPA is his preference, but he obviously considers need at times. Even early.

BZnDallas
02-12-2017, 12:45 AM
The more I think about it the more I want GB to take the best player available at CB or DE/OLB in the 1st. My first hope is DE/OLB in 1st with a #1 CB brought in via FA. If they resign Lacy for 2-3 mil for 2 years and draft a speedster in the 3rd or 4th, that should be enough at RB with Rip and another body in camp. The 2nd/3rd can be used for the best CB/DE/OLB opposite of what wasn't selected in the 1st and hopefully a WR that possbily falls. So I guess that means bring in solid CB in FA. Then go DE/OLB in 1st, hope a WR falls to us in 2nd, CB for depth in 3rd and speed RB in 4th. This obviously changes IF TT utilizes FA in other areas. But that would be a pretty good beginning to the off-season and early draft.

Joemailman
02-12-2017, 08:03 AM
After Raji left and Guion was busted in the WeedCash Estate Wagon, it was clear they needed D line help. If Clark was the highest rated player on the board, I am sure they were happy. But highest or not, when he got a first round grade from the team, GB was taking him.

Sherrod might have been the last Tackle with a first round grade (by some services) but he was not a lock to get picked at the end of Round 1. Packers had a definite need at tackle as Chad Clifton was old, Tauscher was out and Bulaga was needed at RT.

Thompson has not stuck simply to BPA at other times as well. I think BPA is his preference, but he obviously considers need at times. Even early.

I don't think he reaches. He won't draft a guy with a late 2nd round grade late in the 1st round just to fill a need. But if he has 2 prospects rated pretty close
together, he'll take the guy who fills a need. I think he did this in 2009 when he took Raji over Michael Crabtree. Of course, I think sometimes the best guy on your board just happens to fill a need (Bulaga, HHCD.). We don't know if this was the case with Sherrod and Clark.

Fritz
02-12-2017, 08:36 AM
Luckily, there are enough needs that BPA and need might mesh. Corner? Sure. OLB? Sure. Tight end? Why not?

Then watch some hotshot QB prospect fall and fall and fall and we all then bitch at Ted when he grabs him at the end of the first instead of getting that CB or OLB we need...

Joemailman
02-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Luckily, there are enough needs that BPA and need might mesh. Corner? Sure. OLB? Sure. Tight end? Why not?

Then watch some hotshot QB prospect fall and fall and fall and we all then bitch at Ted when he grabs him at the end of the first instead of getting that CB or OLB we need...

Corner is pretty strong this year. Good chance there's a CB worth taking at #29. Or maybe TJ Watt at OLB? Howard of Alabama is the best TE. I think he might be gone by 29. Heard he tore up the Senior Bowl practices.

pbmax
02-12-2017, 09:21 AM
I don't think he reaches either. But if he can fit a need with someone his board values at a spot, he takes them. Was HaHa the next highest rated player on the board?

No idea, but he had a first round grade and was available at a position of sore need.

Deputy Nutz
02-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Clinton Dix was a mid first rounder. I certainly wouldn't say Thompson reached

pbmax
02-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Clinton Dix was a mid first rounder. I certainly wouldn't say Thompson reached

Precisely. Which frames Thompson's approach this way:

He preferes BPA, but is not above drafting for need if value exists for that pick/round.

The second part of that, call it the Nelson/Cobb collolary, is that if multiple players with similar grades exist that fit a need at a given spot, he will look to trade down.

Deputy Nutz
02-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Thompson always seems to address a need in the first round.

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Thompson always seems to address a need in the first round.

Amazing how biggest need and BPA seem to intersect so often in the 1st round isn't it?

pbmax
02-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Amazing how biggest need and BPA seem to intersect so often in the 1st round isn't it?

Stunning. Except for pass rush and QB.

vince
02-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Precisely. Which frames Thompson's approach this way:

He preferes BPA, but is not above drafting for need if value exists for that pick/round.

The second part of that, call it the Nelson/Cobb collolary, is that if multiple players with similar grades exist that fit a need at a given spot, he will look to trade down.
That's what I see too. This argument's been going on forever and the answer is both, not either/or.

Ted's all about maximizing value - which marries quality (tiered across positions) with need (positional value for GB). Sometimes that suggests a trade-up (impending drop in value ratio), which is obviously costly when it misses - and other times it means getting more swings when he can maintain value and increase his chances of hitting.

The reason Ted says it's all about BPA (which is true depending on your definition of "best") is it alows him to avoid answering questions about where the team is currently weak, which opens up a can of worms about current players and Ted rightfully doesn't want to go there.

And sometimes Ted is covering for possible needs that might not appear for a year or two down the line.

Pugger
02-13-2017, 01:17 PM

With our continued success we are drafting near the end of the 1st round so most of the players we take are marginally 2nd rounders. Usually by the time we pick most of the real game changers are long gone. :???:

pbmax
02-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Had Ted ever said its all about BPA? I think that was the writers trying to explain not always drafting for what the public views as need. It started almost immediately.

Q: Why not get Brett some help rather than draft a future QB?

A: Ted believes in BPA

vince
02-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Yeah I've heard Ted say that he/they believe that a BPA strategy is the best route and that drafting for need leads to reaching for players who might not pan out like teams hope. I'd have to go back to his post-draft press conferences but he says that. It's convenient for him to say because it avoids him fielding questions about team weakness and/or player concerns. Ted has complete confidence in all his guys when he's at the podium - as he should.

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2017, 07:07 PM
It's pretty hard to say one player really stands out at any given time as BPA. Arguably the last time that happened, we got Aaron Rodgers. Most of the time, you have several or a lot of players all about on the same level, and you grab the one from among those who suits your needs the best.

Obviously, this year our biggest area of need is Corner. I think that need would best be addressed in free agency. If that doesn't occur, the next best thing is Round 1 of the draft. If it does occur, we really don't have a clear top need, so BPA becomes more meaningful.

Pugger
02-13-2017, 11:41 PM
Is this a good year for corners in this draft?

RashanGary
02-14-2017, 12:55 AM
Is this a good year for corners in this draft?

I'm hearing its deep at

Corner
Running back
Safety
Pass rushers (several in the top 2 or 3 rounds)

RashanGary
02-14-2017, 12:56 AM
Knowing ted and how he values size in the early rounds, I imagine we're gonna take a pass rusher (most rare piece) then a corner and RB cuz they're needs and the draft is strong there.

Deputy Nutz
02-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Packers needs are pretty apparent and it is defending the pass. There are two ways of dealing with this when looking at the draft. You can draft pass rush in the form of edge rushers because the Packers struggle to get any interior pass rush from their line on a regular basis. The second way of attacking the weak pass defense is up grading your outside corner play. Personally, I think Thompson will look to draft an edge rusher and add depth later in the draft at corner back. I think Thompson still has higher hopes for Rollins and Randall. I don't think Thompson has the balls to go a different direction with the first round pick. He wouldn't spend a top selection on an offensive guard, he might get tricky and take a receiver if one of the top three drop to the Packers. Same with the top two tight ends in the draft.

The Combine will tell more about the available players. When you are looking at players that play on the outside or on the edge speed and explosiveness are the main ingredients towards the pecking order.

red
02-14-2017, 04:27 PM
the problem with drafting a CB, is that those guys seem to take 2 or 3 years to develop

and we need a #1

so if we do try and fix the CB spot just through the draft, then the secondary is gonna suck just as much next year as it did this year

Joemailman
02-14-2017, 06:54 PM
the problem with drafting a CB, is that those guys seem to take 2 or 3 years to develop

and we need a #1

so if we do try and fix the CB spot just through the draft, then the secondary is gonna suck just as much next year as it did this year

Sam Shields was the Packers nickel back as a rookie. On the Packers, that basically means you're a starter. Casey Hayward has his best season as a rookie with 6 INT's. Packers need a CB who can start outside, but rookies can start and play well. Especially if TT drafts one who's been a CB for more than a year.

red
02-14-2017, 07:35 PM
let me clarify

we need someone we can put on the other teams top WR, and hold him under 150 yards

beveaux1
02-14-2017, 10:24 PM
let me clarify

we need someone we can put on the other teams top WR, and hold him under 150 yards

Very true.

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 09:18 AM
First round talent that could drop due to injury

Myles Garrett: He has all the talent to go number one in the draft but he dealt with a nagging ankle injury that cut into his production in 2016. He is number one in just about all rankings and mock drafts and the ankle most likely not be the reason he falls in the draft. It will because of teams at the top of the draft have significant needs at QB.

Leonard Fournette: He tried to play through an ankle injury for most of the season and was not 100% healthy in 2016 which regardless of opinions was a significant reason for missing the Tigers' bowl game. He has everything, size, speed, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. He could be the next Adrian Peterson and like Peterson I can see him falling in the first round of the draft due to team needs. He should answer a lot of health questions during the combine or team day.

Malik Hooker: One of the best combinations of size, speed, and football awareness in the draft for a defensive back. Unfortunately he already went under the knife for a hip injury. He will not be working out at the combine. Teams want a healthy first round draft pick coming into camp, and if all goes well with rehab he should be able to participate without restrictions. I can see him being pushed down draft boards because of medical concerns, which would make him a steal if he fell past the tenth pick.

Ryan Ramczyk : Rated as the number one linemen coming into the draft by many, but like Hooker he had to have hip surgery after his college season. He should be the number one linemen to go in the draft unless there are medical concerns. Ramczyk might be more of a right tackle or interior guard right away but he has the athletic ability to play left tackle. If he falls past the first half of teams he could really bolster an already good football team.

Corey Davis: A shoulder injury late in the season derailed his hopes of showing off his skills at the senior bowl. This small school receiver made a name for himself in his four seasons at Western Michigan leading his team to the Cotton Bowl. Davis has that rare combination of size strength and speed at the receiver position. He is quite polished and could be an added piece to an offense late in the first round.

Malik McDowell: There is nothing major with this defensive linemen from Michigan St, but scouts are concerned with his overall toughness and durability. He missed snaps in Big Ten games due to insignificant injuries. This could be more damning to scouts then players listed with significant injuries heading into the draft.

Carl Lawson: He was healthy for the 2016 season as a pass rusher off the edge for the Auburn Tigers, but he missed the 2015 season to an ACL and hip injury. He is a high motor kid that rushes with a quick burst off the snap and attacks the pass blocker.

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 09:29 AM
There are a lot of really good pass rushers in this draft and the Packers should have a solid group to choose from if the desire that selection late in the first round. Thompson hasn't hit big on drafting small defensive ends and transplanting them to outside linebacker. It will be interesting to see what direction he will choose to go if he desires a pass rusher with his first pick. Personally I would want to see a linebacker selected to offer a pass rush like Haason Reddick rather than drafting an undersized defensive end that's prototypical for a 4-3 defense. Another guy I like is the DT from Florida St Demarcus Walker. He could add an interior pass rush tandem with Mike Daniels that could be quite effective.

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee, Jr., 6-3, 257, 4.76
Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA, Sr., 6-2, 258, 4.58
Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan, Sr., 6-5, 272, 4.87
Carl Lawson, OLB/DE, Auburn, rJr., 6-2, 253, 4.67
Haason Reddick, LB, Temple, rSr., 6-1, 237, 4.54
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama, Sr., 6-3, 252, 4.76
DeMarcus Walker, DT, Florida State, Sr, 6-2, 273, 4.86
Charles Harris, DE, Missouri, rJr, 6-3, 255, 4.74

pbmax
02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
let me clarify

Very true.

I would settle for FOUR NFL caliber corners (above replacement level) before I choose one top flight corner.

A defense can handle or double the guy getting 150 yards, if its not in 20 yard chucks, you can defend it. Its the other lesser lights killing you that allows a team to get 500 yards of offense.

Not an argument against a FA or first round CB, just a matter of what would help the defense more.

pbmax
02-15-2017, 12:14 PM
There are a lot of really good pass rushers in this draft and the Packers should have a solid group to choose from if the desire that selection late in the first round. Thompson hasn't hit big on drafting small defensive ends and transplanting them to outside linebacker. It will be interesting to see what direction he will choose to go if he desires a pass rusher with his first pick. Personally I would want to see a linebacker selected to offer a pass rush like Haason Reddick rather than drafting an undersized defensive end that's prototypical for a 4-3 defense. Another guy I like is the DT from Florida St Demarcus Walker. He could add an interior pass rush tandem with Mike Daniels that could be quite effective.

Interior pass rush would solve a lot of problems.

red
02-15-2017, 12:16 PM
I would settle for FOUR NFL caliber corners (above replacement level) before I choose one top flight corner.

A defense can handle or double the guy getting 150 yards, if its not in 20 yard chucks, you can defend it. Its the other lesser lights killing you that allows a team to get 500 yards of offense.

Not an argument against a FA or first round CB, just a matter of what would help the defense more.

we almost always refused to try and double team the guy going nuts on us this year, why would that change next year?

and i suppose it doesn't help much when one of your safeties is having to be the 3rd ILB on the field

RashanGary
02-15-2017, 07:19 PM

Tim Williams is a beast!!

BZnDallas
02-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Interior pass rush would solve a lot of problems.

This would probably help the defense the most going into next season. But I really like Kenny Clark though. He was just starting to show his potential in the playoffs last year. I think he could have a huge second year, and he's still so young. With him and Mike D I don't know how much playing time a Walker type draft pick would get. He'll probably shoot up draft boards after the combine but Takkarist McKinley looks like a stud in a position of need for us. His speed is why he won't fall to us, but his hand techniques could be why he does. I think NFL coaching can teach hand mechanics. You can't teach the speed and length he possess. Not to mention he should have some familiarity with Kenny Clark as both are from UCLA.

gbgary
02-24-2017, 02:22 PM
we get one compensatory pick this year...5th round #39/184

edit: comp picks can be traded now.

Joemailman
02-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Third round

Round Choice/Overall Selection

33rd pick of third round; 97th overall: Miami

34th pick of third round; 98th overall: Carolina

35th pick of third round; 99th overall: Baltimore

36th pick of third round; 100th overall: Los Angeles Rams

37th pick of third round; 101st overall: Denver

38th pick of third round; 102nd overall: Seattle

39th pick of third round; 103rd overall: Cleveland

40th pick of third round; 104th overall: Kansas City

41st pick of third round; 105th overall: Pittsburgh

42nd pick of third round; 106th overall: Seattle

43rd pick of third round; 107th overall: New York Jets

Fourth round

32nd pick of fourth round; 138th overall: Cincinnati

33rd pick of fourth round; 139th overall: Cleveland

34th pick of fourth round; 140th overall: Los Angeles Rams

35th pick of fourth round; 141st overall: Cleveland

36th pick of fourth round; 142nd overall: San Francisco

37th pick of fourth round; 143rd overall: Indianapolis

Fifth round

33rd pick of fifth round; 178th overall: Cincinnati

34th pick of fifth round; 179th overall: Denver

35th pick of fifth round; 180th overall: Miami

36th pick of fifth round; 181st overall: Arizona

37th pick of fifth round; 182nd overall: Kansas City

38th pick of fifth round; 183rd overall: Cleveland

39th pick of fifth round; 184th overall: Green Bay

40th pick of fifth round; 185th overall: New England

41st pick of fifth round; 186th overall: Miami

Sixth round

33rd pick of the sixth round; 218th overall: Kansas City

34th pick of the sixth round; 219th overall: Cincinnati

35th pick of the sixth round; 220th overall: Kansas City

Seventh round

33rd pick of the seventh round; 253rd overall: Cincinnati

34th pick of the seventh round; 254th overall: Denver

35th pick of the seventh round; 255th overall: Denver

pbmax
02-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago
The police records for #Ravens S and pending FA Matt Elam, arrested on multiple charges at 3:45 am today in Florida

I may be mistaken, but the semi-recent draft pick status, playing safety (formerly a position of need) and the arrest, but I think this is another of Bretsky's guys?

:lol:

red
02-26-2017, 11:51 AM
i just can't stress enough how you should never draft a player from the university of florida

do any of them NOT become massive busts?

and i guess it official. they are the worst

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/florida-gators-nfl-draft-busts-schools

Joemailman
02-26-2017, 01:18 PM
i just can't stress enough how you should never draft a player from the university of florida

do any of them NOT become massive busts?

and i guess it official. they are the worst

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/04/florida-gators-nfl-draft-busts-schools

Wasn't it Florida WR's for a while? And then there's those Badger RB's.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/mostbusts.png?w=1000&h=718

pbmax
02-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Brandon Kiley‏@BKSportsTalk 11m11 minutes ago
Offensive linemen are not "safe" picks, exhibit 345. MMQB (https://t.co/VqjBqGe0U2)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5r8kKyU4AAwOuM.jpg:large

red
02-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Wasn't it Florida WR's for a while? And then there's those Badger RB's.

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/mostbusts.png?w=1000&h=718

and d-linemen i think

Joemailman
02-27-2017, 04:29 PM
and d-linemen i think

I know Florida St. had some DE busts. Including out very own Jamal Reynolds.

pbmax
02-27-2017, 04:53 PM
nm

Bretsky
02-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago
The police records for #Ravens S and pending FA Matt Elam, arrested on multiple charges at 3:45 am today in Florida

I may be mistaken, but the semi-recent draft pick status, playing safety (formerly a position of need) and the arrest, but I think this is another of Bretsky's guys?

:lol:

SHUT UP MAN........lol........I was ok with Elam....however now with the arrest perhaps he gets better

ThunderDan
02-28-2017, 09:49 PM
Just ran a draft at fanspeak.com.

29: R1P29 EDGE DEREK BARNETT TENNESSEE
61: R2P29 CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE LSU
93: R3P29 TE JORDAN LEGGETT CLEMSON
134: R4P27 C ETHAN POCIC LSU
172: R5P28 RB JOE MIXON OKLAHOMA
182: R5P38 RB ELIJAH HOOD NORTH CAROLINA
212: R6P28 EDGE HUNTER DIMICK UTAH
247: R7P29 CB DWAYNE THOMAS LSU

Miss clicked on Hood, I was trying to pick up a LB from somewhere.

run pMc
03-01-2017, 08:36 PM
SHUT UP MAN........lol........I was ok with Elam....however now with the arrest perhaps he gets better

I believe Elam was the one who broke Cobb's leg a few years back, yes?

Zool
03-02-2017, 08:11 AM
An arbitrary ranking of the last 5 drafts per team from Foxsports

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-teams-picks-draft-records-ranked-2012-present-030117

smuggler
03-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Just ran a draft at fanspeak.com.

29: R1P29 EDGE DEREK BARNETT TENNESSEE
61: R2P29 CB TRE'DAVIOUS WHITE LSU
93: R3P29 TE JORDAN LEGGETT CLEMSON
134: R4P27 C ETHAN POCIC LSU
172: R5P28 RB JOE MIXON OKLAHOMA
182: R5P38 RB ELIJAH HOOD NORTH CAROLINA
212: R6P28 EDGE HUNTER DIMICK UTAH
247: R7P29 CB DWAYNE THOMAS LSU

Miss clicked on Hood, I was trying to pick up a LB from somewhere.

So, uh... Are you not really aware of the Joe Mixon shit right now?

Pugger
03-04-2017, 07:15 AM
What is going on with Mixon?

ThunderDan
03-04-2017, 07:33 AM

He hit his girlfriend in public. There is a tape like Ray Rice.

Still a good player to draft as a football player. Someone I would not want to be around elsewhere.

Upnorth
03-04-2017, 07:44 AM
An arbitrary ranking of the last 5 drafts per team from Foxsports

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-draft-teams-picks-draft-records-ranked-2012-present-030117

But we have lost two of the last 3 nfccg...we suck and tt should be fired

Also re mixon i.believe it happened three years ago

smuggler
03-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Wasn't his girlfriend, but it was an acquaintance of his. Not domestic, per se, but the sheer unrestrained force he uses against her is a huge red flag. She had broken bones in her face.

She shoves him and slaps him before he lets his punch go. I don't think women should be free to harass men with impunity, but he should have responded in a different way than a full strength hay-maker.

pbmax
03-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Wasn't his girlfriend, but it was an acquaintance of his. Not domestic, per se, but the sheer unrestrained force he uses against her is a huge red flag. She had broken bones in her face.

She shoves him and slaps him before he lets his punch go. I don't think women should be free to harass men with impunity, but he should have responded in a different way than a full strength hay-maker.

Agree. There is no reason she could not be charged for her conduct (assuming that circumstance, which apparently started earlier and outside, don't tell an entirely different story).

But he should be charged commensurate with his actions as well.

Upnorth
03-04-2017, 11:36 AM
The NFL tends to punish the retribution great than the initial infractions,

Zool
03-04-2017, 04:20 PM
The broken bones in her face came from hitting her face on a table on the way down. Not saying he's any less of a pos for punching her flat out. He could simply have walked away and called the police.

smuggler
03-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Yeah, because black guys in this country have faith in the police. :whaa:

Deputy Nutz
03-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Agree. There is no reason she could not be charged for her conduct (assuming that circumstance, which apparently started earlier and outside, don't tell an entirely different story).

But he should be charged commensurate with his actions as well.

Did you watch the video? She comes into the restaurant with one other person. A minute later he comes in and starts harassing her at the table. She stands up and pushes him or slaps him and then she is abliterated. Seems like he started the. Conflict and confronted her.

pbmax
03-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Did you watch the video? She comes into the restaurant with one other person. A minute later he comes in and starts harassing her at the table. She stands up and pushes him or slaps him and then she is abliterated. Seems like he started the. Conflict and confronted her.

There were reports that the confrontation had started elsewhere, continued in the street, then headed into the location that has the video.

It was not detailed and substantiated, just witness reports. The only definite thing I took from it was that the confrontation had stated earlier, at least outside the location with the video.

It doesn't make what he did reasonable by any means. But it tells us we haven't witnessed the entire argument.

smuggler
03-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Did YOU watch the video? That's not what it seems like that all. It looks like everything is ho hum until she abruptly stands up and shoves him at what appears to be her full strength with two hands. Then he makes a face lunge at her without touching her, and her response to that is a full strength slap. At that point he uncocks his best punch and she goes down.

Zool
03-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Mixon admitted to saying homophobic things to her friend. She escalated and finished. I count him as more stupid because he has more money to lose in that situation.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2017, 09:57 AM
There were reports that the confrontation had started elsewhere, continued in the street, then headed into the location that has the video.

It was not detailed and substantiated, just witness reports. The only definite thing I took from it was that the confrontation had stated earlier, at least outside the location with the video.

It doesn't make what he did reasonable by any means. But it tells us we haven't witnessed the entire argument.

Sounds like he decided to continue the argument or conflict by following her into the restaurant. I interpret that as even worse judgement and behavior because he continued to escalate the situation. He followed her into the restaurant, she didn't follow him and continue escalate the situation. This is far more than stupidity. This is a young man that unfortunately has very little judgement and control over his emotions, and demonstrated a complete lack of respect for women, and mankind. It is disappointing that he was even allowed back in school. It is disappointing that he didn't sit in a prison cell. He is extremely lucky he has physical talent on the football field, sad but true. What ever team that drafts him better be ready for a fire storm.

ThunderDan
03-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Sounds like he decided to continue the argument or conflict by following her into the restaurant. I interpret that as even worse judgement and behavior because he continued to escalate the situation. He followed her into the restaurant, she didn't follow him and continue escalate the situation. This is far more than stupidity. This is a young man that unfortunately has very little judgement and control over his emotions, and demonstrated a complete lack of respect for women, and mankind. It is disappointing that he was even allowed back in school. It is disappointing that he didn't sit in a prison cell. He is extremely lucky he has physical talent on the football field, sad but true. What ever team that drafts him better be ready for a fire storm.

Got to agree with Nutz here. The 2 people were separated. Just leave, what else good could have occurred? Were they going to make up? Nothing but a worse outcome would occur when he entered the restaurant.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Got to agree with Nutz here. The 2 people were separated. Just leave, what else good could have occurred? Were they going to make up? Nothing but a worse outcome would occur when he entered the restaurant.

He could have left at any time and it would have been a better decision. There seems to be no upside at any point for him.

gbgary
03-06-2017, 11:07 AM
well...he'll get drafted. some team will have the guts to do it. he's too good. it was almost three years ago and he's been good since. guess we'll see.

Rutnstrut
03-06-2017, 12:29 PM
I don't agree with hitting women ever, but... They want equality until being the weaker sex benefits them more, can't have it both ways ladies.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't agree with hitting women ever, but... They want equality until being the weaker sex benefits them more, can't have it both ways ladies.

Pretty sure both sides want assault and battery laws enforced.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2017, 08:47 PM
You are a total piece Of shit for saying this. You say you don't agree but then Defend the action because women want equality. Go fuck yourself.

bobblehead
03-06-2017, 11:02 PM
You are a total piece Of shit for saying this. You say you don't agree but then Defend the action because women want equality. Go fuck yourself.

I'm guessing he is saying he doesn't agree with hitting them and he doesn't agree with them claiming they "can do anything a man can". He isn't defending the action, he is poorly tying something into the argument that has very little to do with what happened.

Pugger
03-07-2017, 08:00 AM
So, now after watching the DBs at the Combine yesterday which one of these kids do you guys think will still be available at #29?

texaspackerbacker
03-07-2017, 08:13 AM
I'd still rather see a free agent signing of a top notch Corner. Maybe the perceived excellence of this year's crop in the draft will drive the market price down a little bit for those already in the league, and no matter how good these guys look at the combine or whatever, Corner is still one of those positions where you can't guarantee greatness. And if we sign the free agent instead, we can use that #1 for something more sure or more needed like a pass rushing OLB or an outstanding ILB (if there even are any of the latter).

pbmax
03-07-2017, 09:21 AM
I'm guessing he is saying he doesn't agree with hitting them and he doesn't agree with them claiming they "can do anything a man can". He isn't defending the action, he is poorly tying something into the argument that has very little to do with what happened.

Poor timing and poor grammar. Throwing in that "but" after saying you don't agree with the violence sounds like he is giving it a pass.

And he is also making a general complaint about what women writ large might believe when the topic under discussion is very specific act of cruelty.

RashanGary
03-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Jabril Peppers, then a Pass rusher, then corner would be ideal. Deep corner draft. Should be able to get one late.

Burnett, hhcd, peppers and then Daniels and a should be much improved Clark all in the middle of our defense..... the speed of Peppers would change our defense.

smuggler
03-08-2017, 01:03 AM
I do like Peppers, but I think someone will fall in love and take him.

Deputy Nutz
03-08-2017, 09:58 AM
This draft got a whole lot deeper after the combine, especially with teams that covet speed. Peppers might go within the top twenty. He is a lot of hype, but does have talent. I just don't understand if he was so outstanding why he bounced from position to position? If he was a lock down corner he would have played corner, if he was a dominant safety he would have played safety, if he was Thomas Davis he would have played outside linebacker. I know bouncing him around would cause match up problems, but my concern with him is he will be a continued tweener in the NFL and struggle to meet draft expectations. He can help right away as a returner and special teams, that's a plus for him

pbmax
03-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Running Back Speed Scores. Football Outsiders metric that mixes size and speed, they say it correlates better than either alone to NFL success. Average running back who makes it to NFL scores around 100. Ezekial Elliot was 112.7.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/speed-score-2017

2017 Speed Scores

Player School Weight 40 Time Speed Score
Len. Fournette LSU 240 4.51 116.0
Joe Williams Utah 210 4.41 111.0
T.J. Logan North Carolina 196 4.37 107.5
Jeremy McNichol Boise State 214 4.49 105.3
Marlon Mack South Florida 213 4.5 103.9
Dalvin Cook Florida State 210 4.49 103.3
De' Henderson Coast Carolina 208 4.48 103.3
Brian Hill Wyoming 219 4.54 103.1
Elijah McGuire Louis.Lafayette 214 4.53 101.6
Chris McCaffrey Stanford 202 4.48 100.3
James Conner Pittsburgh 233 4.65 99.7
Samaje Perine Oklahoma 233 4.65 99.7
Chris Carson Oklahoma State 218 4.58 99.1
Alvin Kamara Tennessee 214 4.56 99.0
Aaron Jones Texas-El Paso 208 4.56 96.2
Wayne Gallman Clemson 215 4.6 96.0
Jamaal Williams BYU 212 4.59 95.5
Kareem Hunt Toledo 216 4.62 94.8
Tarik Cohen N Carolina A&T 179 4.42 93.8
Stan Williams Kentucky 190 4.51 91.8
Corey Clement Wisconsin 220 4.68 91.7
Dare Ogunbowale Wisconsin 213 4.65 91.1
Rushel Shell West Virginia 227 4.74 89.9
Donnel Pumphrey San Diego State 176 4.48 87.4
Jahad Thomas Temple 190 4.63 82.7
Devine Redding Indiana 205 4.76 79.9

Deputy Nutz
03-08-2017, 11:21 AM
I like James Connor and Sammy Perine. I think because they ran 4.6s they can be had a round or two later which makes a difference. I would have rather taken them in the 4th round than in the 3rd round. Connor probably more like a fifth rounder.

pbmax
03-08-2017, 07:05 PM

Gil Brandt‏ @Gil_Brandt 6h6 hours ago
Official numbers (given to all teams) for Mixon at Oklahoma pro day:

6-0 3/4, 228 lbs
4.50 40 (ran 1x)
35 VJ
7.10 3-cone
4.33 ss
21 lifts

Hand held timing reports had him in the 4.4 range. Not sure where Gil gets the official info.

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Mixon has the skills, and to be truthful he has handled his past with respect and has owned his actions and behaviors. I will be interested to see what team is willing to take on the immediate fire storm when they draft him.