PDA

View Full Version : Official 2018 Other NFL News

Pages : 1 2 [3]

pbmax
07-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Bill Belichick is a bad GM.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/19/jason-kelce-didnt-think-much-of-the-patriots-defensive-talent/

“The last defense we had seen was Minnesota’s, and we were like, ‘These dudes have got some players.’ Then we see [the Patriots] and we’re like, ‘These dudes have got some . . . coaches.’ (https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/18/philadelphia-eagles-offensive-line) ” ~ Jason Kelce

Cheesehead Craig
07-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Why are Philly players still ragging on NE?

Newsflash guys, you won the SB. Start acting like champs.

Joemailman
07-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Vikings OL coach Tony Sparano died unexpectedly today at the age of 56.

Sparano had complained about chest pains and went to the hospital Thursday, a source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Sparano underwent tests and was released Friday. The source said Sparano's wife found him unconscious Sunday morning as they prepared to leave for church but could not revive him.

MadScientist
07-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Just very sad news. 56 is way too young.

It's easy to be upset with the doctors for not doing something when he came in, but they undoubtedly ran tests, and the results didn't warrant further action. You can argue that something is wrong with their process, but there needs to be data to back up a change in procedure.

KYPack
07-23-2018, 08:54 PM

RIP tough Tony.

Always admired the guy, a tough old school coach.

Teamcheez1
07-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Gurley gets $60M contract extension with $45M guaranteed. I just don't see the wisdom in paying RB's this type of money. Good luck to the Steelers trying to sign Bell now.

Teamcheez1
07-25-2018, 01:26 PM
So much for the Giants using a 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/25/giants-lose-supplemental-draft-pick-sam-beal-to-shoulder-injury/

mraynrand
07-31-2018, 12:51 PM
On Tuesday morning, Stefon Diggs became the latest wide receiver to cash in. Despite never having a 1,000 yard or 100 catch season, the Vikings gave him a five-year extension worth $72MM.

GOLDIGGSER

Improvement in Anthony Barr‘s pass-rushing production could help him become the next Vikings player to get paid, Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune writes. Barr had four sacks as a rookie, but his numbers have dropped each season as the Vikings have sent him after the quarterback less often and offenses have used linemen to block him more often instead of running backs. Last year, Barr rushed the QB on a career low 16.7% of his snaps, resulting in just one sack on the year.

HOWEVER, VIKINGS PLEASED WITH INCREASE IN LATE HITS

mraynrand
08-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Saints signed Barclay, despite likely CTE lawsuit in 10-30 years.

Teamcheez1
08-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Titans signed Kenny Vaccaro to fill their void at Safety.
Eric Reid apparently had flight problems and never even made it for a tryout.

red
08-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Gurley gets $60M contract extension with $45M guaranteed. I just don't see the wisdom in paying RB's this type of money. Good luck to the Steelers trying to sign Bell now.

unfortunately for them, RB is the position that probably should be paid the most next to QBs. they probably take the biggest beating for the game, and have the shortest careers

they pretty much only get one decent contract in their career (if they even make it past their rookie contract), so they should milk it for as much money as possible

but on the flip side, RBs are almost a dime a dozen, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for teams to pay a lot for them

why would any player want to be a RB these days?

pbmax
08-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Gurley is one of the few that is a definite step above the other good backs.

mraynrand
08-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Draft a couple running backs and buy your QB a weapon or two. Unless you really see Gurley as that weapon. He’s good but is he Peterman good?

Fritz
08-04-2018, 02:10 PM
unfortunately for them, RB is the position that probably should be paid the most next to QBs. they probably take the biggest beating for the game, and have the shortest careers

they pretty much only get one decent contract in their career (if they even make it past their rookie contract), so they should milk it for as much money as possible

but on the flip side, RBs are almost a dime a dozen, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for teams to pay a lot for them

why would any player want to be a RB these days?

How the game has changed since I grew up watching it in the 70's. Running back - or tailback, as it was sometimes called - was the glamour position. Now you're another blocker who occasionally gets to touch the ball.

red
08-04-2018, 04:07 PM
How the game has changed since I grew up watching it in the 70's. Running back - or tailback, as it was sometimes called - was the glamour position. Now you're another blocker who occasionally gets to touch the ball.

not all teams are the packers

some teams let their running back actually run with the ball, a lot

texaspackerbacker
08-04-2018, 06:03 PM
When you've got the greatest QB in the history of the world, and a lot of mediocrity elsewhere, you do what you need to do - and that ain't run the ball all the time.

If you're the Wisconsin Badgers - super RB(s), O Line head and shoulders better than the competition, and a mediocre QB, THEN you run 'em to death.

pbmax
08-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Draft a couple running backs and buy your QB a weapon or two. Unless you really see Gurley as that weapon. He’s good but is he Peterman good?

Probably not Peterman good for 25 carries and shrugging off bone crushing hits, but close, with more game breaking plays. He is in the right offense now where they will spread it out and throw it to him as well.

pbmax
08-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Running has definitely been de-emphasized and the practice limits don't help that.

But the position itself is among the more fungible because functional players are available later in the draft. You can't do that reliably with QB, pass rush and corners, for instance.

woodbuck27
08-05-2018, 08:20 AM

I always enjoyed that man's enthusiasm as a side line reporter on NFL games.

Dying at 56 years and being as inspiring as I know he was is very sad.

Guys if you don't have your weight and more importantly conditioning under some decent control please see you Doctor and take care of yourself. Ensure you blood pressure and pulse rate is in the normal range.

I believe in low stress exercise and a solid practise of proper stretching...keep muscles strong and long. Your blood pressure can devite rapidly with stress...avoid stress.

Is your blood pressure in the 120 over 80 Range and for a Male pulse about 72 BPM or below? These are good targets but always consult with a Doctor before going 'all Superman'.

Zool
08-05-2018, 09:28 AM
not all teams are the packers

some teams let their running back actually run with the ball, a lot

As Rand would say to Ted, LOOK IT UP. Do a historical look at the Packers rushing attempts per game over the las 10 years. Right in the middle of the league. Stop being dishonest about this.

mraynrand
08-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Probably not Peterman good for 25 carries and shrugging off bone crushing hits, but close, with more game breaking plays. He is in the right offense now where they will spread it out and throw it to him as well.

I didn't watch enough of him last year to know. Dude had 64 receptions for 788 yards and 2000+ total yards. That's every bit as good as any of the best all-around all-purpose backs in NFL history - maybe about 10-20 receptions short of Marshall Faulk's absolute best seasons. He's quite the weapon.

pbmax
08-05-2018, 06:35 PM
I didn't watch enough of him last year to know. Dude had 64 receptions for 788 yards and 2000+ total yards. That's every bit as good as any of the best all-around all-purpose backs in NFL history - maybe about 10-20 receptions short of Marshall Faulk's absolute best seasons. He's quite the weapon.

The knock is that the wrong offense can render him harmless, a specialty of Jeff Fisher (his coach for three years I think) unless you are Eddie George.

But his rookie year and last year were very explosive.

Teamcheez1
08-06-2018, 07:30 AM
Browns ship 2016 first round pick WR Corey Coleman to the Bills for a 7th round draft pick. Essentially nothing.

What' fascinating is that PFT said it's the ninth straight first round pick by the Browns that did not finish their rookie contract with them.

pbmax
08-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Good stuff.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Compensation update: Cleveland traded former first-round pick, WR Corey Coleman, to the Buffalo Bills for a seventh-round pick in 2020, per league source.

Patrick Daugherty @RotoPat
Anytime you’re 1-31 and can give up on a first-round talent who has suffered two fluke hand injuries, you have to do it.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Cleveland does something to a man

pbmax
08-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Cleveland does something to a man

Many here thought Dorsey was the guy in KC having all that personnel success. I did. But what if it was really Reid or a Dorsey underling? He was tossed out on his ear after a couple of years.

Dorsey might yet prove to be the hard headed idiot who believes all things old school, like hand injuries meaning you are injury prone and weak.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 08:13 AM
No, there's something wrong with Coleman. It's possible it might be coach-player related (and the coach, much like Sherman with TT, may be gone after this year), but more likely it's a stream off personality/behavior stuff, including 'being around' when his brother and a friend beat the shit out of some guy* (but Coleman 'didn't participate'), and skipping curfew with Kenny 'role-model' Britt. Not to mention dropping game-critical passes (including a possible game-winner against intentionally depleted Steelers which would have prevented 0-16, and crying about it afterwards). When a team is as dysfunctional as Cleveland, sometimes you just have to clear out everything and start over (again).

*AKA felonious assault

pbmax
08-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Always surprised this doesn't happen more.

Rams DT Aaron Donald has until Tuesday to report to camp or he will lose an accrued season and become a restricted free agent after this season, as opposed to an RFA (EDIT: THINK ADAM MEANS UFA HERE). Saying that, Donald doesn’t care whether he’s an RFA or UFA; he’s determined not to play until he has a new deal.

If not in by Tuesday, Aaron Donald will become a restricted free agent after this season, NOT an unrestricted free agent. All irrelevant being that the Rams still would franchise tag him either way.

Kinda Surprised Rodgers is here. But he has been paid well twice already.

pbmax
08-06-2018, 08:15 AM
No, there's something wrong with Coleman. It's possible it might be coach-player related (and the coach, much like Sherman with TT, may be gone after this year), but more likely it's a stream off personality/behavior stuff, including 'being around' when his brother and a friend beat the shit out of some guy* (but Coleman 'didn't participate'), and skipping curfew with Kenny 'role-model' Britt. Not to mention dropping game-critical passes (including a possible game-winner against intentionally depleted Steelers which would have prevented 0-16, and crying about it afterwards). When a team is as dysfunctional as Cleveland, sometimes you just have to clear out everything and start over (again).

*AKA felonious assault

Ah. I had forgotten that. Makes much more sense that way.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Ah. I had forgotten that. Makes much more sense that way.

of course, none of that negates your point about Dorsey. Cleveland is all his - other than the owner and the recent history of awfulness, Dorsey couldn't have landed a better spot for a rebuilding project, what with all the picks and cap space.

pbmax
08-06-2018, 09:09 AM
of course, none of that negates your point about Dorsey. Cleveland is all his - other than the owner and the recent history of awfulness, Dorsey couldn't have landed a better spot for a rebuilding project, what with all the picks and cap space.

Yep. The owner is the other interesting part. I wonder if he relegates himself to insisting on one more year with Hue or if he continues to be his own part-time GM.

Like a far less effective Jerry Jones.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Yep. The owner is the other interesting part. I wonder if he relegates himself to insisting on one more year with Hue or if he continues to be his own part-time GM.

Like a far less effective Jerry Jones.

If he's smart, his three year guarantee with Hue will be the last of his meddling.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Tom Heckert Jr. died. Former Browns GM dead at the age of 51. Cleveland does things to a man.

mraynrand
08-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Looks like the NFL is trying to get back on their fans' good side again:

NFL's first male dancers will hit the sidelines this season
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/nfl-male-dancers-trnd/index.html?utm_content=2018-08-06T18%3A23%3A01&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=image
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/180806113133-nfl-cheerleader-napoleon-jinnies-exlarge-169.jpg

The NFL knows their audience well

Cheesehead Craig
08-08-2018, 11:14 AM
https://gifer.com/i/L9Pk.gif

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2018, 12:16 PM
https://goo.gl/images/mLqqaQ

no way!

pbmax
08-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Its "Why Your Team Sucks" season, Bears Edition

Best description of tooting for the Bears I have ever seen.

Matt:

When I was in middle school, I played flag football for one year. And because I couldn’t run fast and because I taller than most guys on the team, I was made the quarterback. I don’t have many memories from my time as the QB, except for when I threw a game-ending interception.

I was pissed and decided to throw a little fit on the way to the car afterwards, and my mom tried to get me to calm down by saying “Erik Kramer doesn’t act like this after he throws an interception.” I immediately started crying and said to her “you think I played as bad as Erik Kramer?” She immediately was like “oh, no honey, you played well” and tried to walk it back, but it was too late. Never try to comfort a kid by comparing them to a Bears quarterback.

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2018-chicago-bears-1828187539

mraynrand
08-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Brett Favre never cried after an INT either. He picked himself up, dusted himself off, and threw an INT all over again.

pbmax
08-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Brett Favre never cried after an INT either. He picked himself up, dusted himself off, and threw an INT all over again.

You need to have amnesia on plays like that. Because why would you want to learn from a mistake.

run pMc
08-08-2018, 02:46 PM

That was a good read. LOL

KYPack
08-08-2018, 09:53 PM

If you hate the Bears, read this link.

On second thought, read it if you like to laugh.

pbmax
08-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Michael Mulvihill @mulvihill79
In 2017 the NFL alone accounted for 71 of the year's 100 most-watched telecasts.
In 2007 that figure was 22 of 100.

The numbers are from Nielsen.

Zool
08-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Michael Mulvihill @mulvihill79
In 2017 the NFL alone accounted for 71 of the year's 100 most-watched telecasts.
In 2007 that figure was 22 of 100.

The numbers are from Nielsen.

I would like to see how they glean this information. The billboard top 40 was paid for by record companies for 50 years. The rankings were shit and I’m starting to think TV ratings are the same game.

pbmax
08-20-2018, 11:02 PM
I would like to see how they glean this information. The billboard top 40 was paid for by record companies for 50 years. The rankings were shit and I’m starting to think TV ratings are the same game.

Nielsen has problems, but its not paying for ratings that causes it. Record companies wanted to manipulate sales of records through airplay and a sense of inevitability. Radio stations wants listeners to sell advertisers to. If Arbitron was collecting payola, then there might be a Nielsen parallel. But the payola was mainly between the record company and program managers/media companies. Payola probably complicated finding listeners.

Nielsen's problems have to do with the old journal they asked families to keep. A problem of self selection; who wants to keep a journal of TV habits? The electronic box they first used could not tell if anyone was actually watching the channel that was playing.

Their most recent problem was a blessing in disguise: digital consumption frustrated them for years as they were just measuring live eyeballs and those numbers were shrinking. But when they got their hands on the digital data (Live +3 days of DVR and Live plus 7 days, plus buying the program on streaming services, plus network numbers on their own streaming websites) they actually had better data than ever before.

bobblehead
08-21-2018, 12:54 AM

ROQUON SMITH

Roquon Smith

rOquaN Smith

rOqCpN SNNItH

rCpON qSItN

CprICN qSOtN

CEpRC qNSON

ƆƎpɹIƆ qƎNSON

CEDRIC BENSON

Oh my fucking God.

I read this and laughed so fucking hard I woke the wife up...shit!

Anti-Polar Bear
08-21-2018, 03:08 AM
ROQUON SMITH

Roquon Smith

rOquaN Smith

rOqCpN SNNItH

rCpON qSItN

CprICN qSOtN

CEpRC qNSON

ƆƎpɹIƆ qƎNSON

CEDRIC BENSON

Oh my fucking God.

I read this and laughed so fucking hard I woke the wife up...shit!

I understand that C-Ben was a bust for da Bears (the Great Arm of Butte was sitting there with his phone). However, Benson was a stud for the Pack, albeit briefly. Watch the films, and the O was pretty effective at running the fake handoffs pistol force stuff (playactions) with C-Ben.

Zool
08-21-2018, 07:34 AM
Nielsen has problems, but its not paying for ratings that causes it. Record companies wanted to manipulate sales of records through airplay and a sense of inevitability. Radio stations wants listeners to sell advertisers to. If Arbitron was collecting payola, then there might be a Nielsen parallel. But the payola was mainly between the record company and program managers/media companies. Payola probably complicated finding listeners.

Nielsen's problems have to do with the old journal they asked families to keep. A problem of self selection; who wants to keep a journal of TV habits? The electronic box they first used could not tell if anyone was actually watching the channel that was playing.

Their most recent problem was a blessing in disguise: digital consumption frustrated them for years as they were just measuring live eyeballs and those numbers were shrinking. But when they got their hands on the digital data (Live +3 days of DVR and Live plus 7 days, plus buying the program on streaming services, plus network numbers on their own streaming websites) they actually had better data than ever before.

Do they make the results of their findings public? Would the NFL have anything to gain by monetarily inflating those numbers?

pbmax
08-21-2018, 07:39 AM
Do they make the results of their findings public? Would the NFL have anything to gain by monetarily inflating those numbers?

You can subscribe I believe. And by you I mean a large firm because I bet its not cheap.

But the full rundown on numbers is not released publicly for free. You often see the Top 10 or Top 25 with the headline stats (rating and share). However, advertisers are part of the membership, if the numbers skew toward one outlet, it would be a big hit to the sale of the information. There are competitors, though they are smaller.

So of course the NFL, but especially the networks, would love to inflate their numbers. But they are only one side of the paying equation I believe.

Its probably ripe for stupidity, I just haven't seen it reported anywhere that its ripe for abuse. Most of the complaints are about their methodology.

Fritz
08-21-2018, 11:24 AM

In other NFC North news, new Leos coach Patricia is working players pretty hard in practice and playing starters in the fourth quarter of meaningless exhibition games.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/08/18/detroit-lions-preseason-2018-giants/1030055002/

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/08/19/detroit-lions-preseason-questions/1036185002/

So if the Lions come out the gate gangbusters, all our complaining about WhineyMikey being too easy in t.c. will be born out.

mraynrand
08-21-2018, 12:20 PM
In other NFC North news, new Leos coach Patricia is working players pretty hard in practice and playing starters in the fourth quarter of meaningless exhibition games.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/08/18/detroit-lions-preseason-2018-giants/1030055002/

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/08/19/detroit-lions-preseason-questions/1036185002/

So if the Lions come out the gate gangbusters, all our complaining about WhineyMikey being too easy in t.c. will be born out.

"I approve"

http://christopherapage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/LesSteckel300-240x300.jpg

pbmax
08-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Why Your Team Sucks: Detroit Lions

Every year, this team finds a way and interesting way to get fucked by a quirk in the NFL rulebook. It’s almost like they have a fetish for it. They’re definitely losing at least four games because of the Helmet Rule. In December, they’ll all don gimp masks and conspire to lose at the very last second on Sideline Warning penalty.

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2018-detroit-lions-1828517227

mraynrand
08-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Janis just lit up the fourth string Eagles defense (one reception, one drop, one PI drawn). Shades of Michael Irvin! And Troy and Buck got a fourth and 26 shot in just as time was expiring. F U guys.

Zool
08-24-2018, 12:04 AM
Janice can’t even make it to Hard Knocks. Bill Schroeder actually laughs at how bad Janice is at running routes.

pbmax
08-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Sam Shields with an INT.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1033455247065149440

pbmax
08-26-2018, 03:20 PM
OK, so I am not suggesting you watch the Bills Bengals on FOX for entertainment, but John Ross just left two Bills defenders lockless after a double move on an under thrown ball by Dalton.

KYP, is this guy legit? He looked like Barry Sanders with that change of direction.

pbmax
08-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Here is a video clip of the play.

https://twitter.com/ChasingSnyder/status/1033810597572431872

mraynrand
08-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Here is a video clip of the play.

https://twitter.com/ChasingSnyder/status/1033810597572431872

shame to waste that on the preseason

pbmax
08-27-2018, 08:32 AM
shame to waste that on the preseason

Especially when it might be the best Bengals offensive play of the year.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2018, 08:44 AM
KYP, is this guy legit? He looked like Barry Sanders with that change of direction.

Everyone looks like Barry Sanders against Mr. Hyde.

pbmax
08-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Everyone looks like Barry Sanders against Mr. Hyde.

He beat two guys with a cutback after having run by his CB. Had Dalton gotten the ball away earlier, he would have waltzed in while the CB waved at him.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2018, 08:59 AM
He beat two guys with a cutback after having run by his CB. Had Dalton gotten the ball away earlier, he would have waltzed in while the CB waved at him.

It was a nice play and all. I'm just saying, Janis coulda made that same play against Hyde. Glade Hyde no longer dons the Green and Gold. Mr. Hyde is an abomination.

pbmax
08-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Odell Beckham, yacht aficionado and kicking net whisperer, has signed a big extension.

ig: josinaanderson @JosinaAnderson
Breaking: #Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr has now agreed to a 5-year extension that makes him the highest paid WR in the NFL on a $95M max deal, $65M total guaranteed.

Now Cobb is even more affordable and will still be kept.

Teamcheez1
08-27-2018, 01:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing on Cobb. He is now considered a bargain.

mraynrand
08-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Odell Beckham, yacht aficionado and kicking net whisperer,

That’s good stuff

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Bridgewater to the Saints? Draft picks involved. Stay tuned. Strengthening the QB position in NO apparently...

Zool
08-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Bridgewater to the Saints? Draft picks involved. Stay tuned. Strengthening the QB position in NO apparently...

Does this mean the STQB is back on the market?

pbmax
08-29-2018, 03:13 PM

Could be as early as today ...

pbmax
08-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Does this mean the STQB is back on the market?

Finally a worthy replacement for Janis at gunner.

pbmax
08-29-2018, 03:30 PM

From NO beat writer Twitter Moments:

Twitter Moments @TwitterMoments
Jets quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (@teddyb_h2o) is on the move again after being traded to the @Saints for a third-round pick, according to @RapSheet and @MikeSilver.

hoosier
08-29-2018, 03:42 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Mickey Loomis is the second coming of George Allen, throwing around draft picks like they were monopoly money. A D3 for a guy who hasn't played in three years? Loomis is nuts.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Mickey Loomis is the second coming of George Allen, throwing around draft picks like they were monopoly money. A D3 for a guy who hasn't played in three years? Loomis is nuts.

No doubt. Only possible mitigating factor I can think of is maybe there's something going on with Brees we don't know about, that puts this year in doubt.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Saints also signed Tanner McEvoy, which means their overhaul/upgrade of the offense is likely complete.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 04:21 PM
P.S. Max McCaffrey is available...(released by Niners), but injured (that's how the Packers like 'em)...

Joemailman
08-29-2018, 04:32 PM
From NO beat writer Twitter Moments:

Twitter Moments @TwitterMoments
Jets quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (@teddyb_h2o) is on the move again after being traded to the @Saints for a third-round pick, according to @RapSheet and @MikeSilver.

Does this mean Taysom Hill isn't the next Steve Young?

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Does this mean Taysom Hill isn't the next Steve Young?

It looks like Savage is the odd QB out.

Did Steve Young play gunner on special teams?

Joemailman
08-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Browns' Mychal Kendricks charged with insider trading. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24513086/mychal-kendricks-cleveland-browns-charged-insider-trading

He's admitting to it. Not sure if that will keep him out of prison.

pbmax
08-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Good news everyone. I found your new favorite Twitter account.

Three Year Letterman @3YearLetterman
Replying to @AdamSchefter @mortreport

It’s stunning what constitutes “injured” in the NFL. I coach a youth football dynasty, and once had one of my players’ arm casts sawed off 3 weeks early by a nurse with some gambling debts. He finished out the year, got a championship ring, and didn’t re-break it until February.

pbmax
08-29-2018, 07:55 PM
Browns' Mychal Kendricks charged with insider trading. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24513086/mychal-kendricks-cleveland-browns-charged-insider-trading

Packers could now find a useful arbitrage opportunity in Mychal Kendricks contracts.

Browns now have released LB Mychal Kendricks.

pbmax
08-29-2018, 08:12 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
So the owner who faced no scrutiny or discipline for his truck-stop company's rampant fraud abruptly cuts a player who engaged in an isolated incident of insider trading? Should make for an interesting Hard Knocks finale. Unless it doesn't.

hoosier
08-29-2018, 08:41 PM

I doubt it, probably gets him out of prison before he turns 40 though.

hoosier
08-29-2018, 08:43 PM
No doubt. Only possible mitigating factor I can think of is maybe there's something going on with Brees we don't know about, that puts this year in doubt.

Eventually something has to go. Labrum, rotator cuff, the guy is pushing 40, we probably don't even have to stoop to wishing it on him.

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 09:37 PM
Eventually something has to go. Labrum, rotator cuff, the guy is pushing 40, we probably don't even have to stoop to wishing it on him.

I crossed that bridge a long time ago. I'm shameless. I wish all the best for Brees and all the Saint - as long as they lose every game.

But what I meant was - did they bring in Bridgewater as general insurance against a possible (likely) Brees injury or because they already know something is wrong with Brees and think he will certainly miss time. Second seems less likely but possible...

mraynrand
08-29-2018, 09:39 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
So the owner who faced no scrutiny or discipline for his truck-stop company's rampant fraud abruptly cuts a player who engaged in an isolated incident of insider trading? Should make for an interesting Hard Knocks finale. Unless it doesn't.

Sign him up! Bring in Ari to run the PR! Bring in Lanny Davis to get him off the hook! Pull the stops, we need a LB who will be guilty of insider tackling!

hoosier
08-30-2018, 07:40 AM
I crossed that bridge a long time ago. I'm shameless. I wish all the best for Brees and all the Saint - as long as they lose every game.

But what I meant was - did they bring in Bridgewater as general insurance against a possible (likely) Brees injury or because they already know something is wrong with Brees and think he will certainly miss time. Second seems less likely but possible...

The intuitive answer is insurance policy and grooming to replace Brees eventually. But Bridgewater becomes a UFA after this year, which makes it even harder to believe they had to give up a D3 to get him. That is why I suspect the ghost of George Allen behind all this.

Joemailman
09-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Broncos cut 2016 1st round pick Paxton Lynch.

Fritz
09-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Ouch. Now that's admitting to your mistakes.

pbmax
09-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Broncos cut 2016 1st round pick Paxton Lynch.

In a just and fair world the Cowboys would have succeeded in drafting him. I think Jerry tired to trade for him twice in that draft.

run pMc
09-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Teams have been cutting some high round picks: Ravens cut Perriman, Bills cut Corey Coleman (from Browns), Denver cut Paxton Lynch...
The Raiders cut Martavis Bryant after trading a R3 for him. Yikes.

https://elkodaily.com/sports/football/perriman-coleman-among-recent-high-nfl-draft-picks-whacked-on/article_5fb5345d-3601-511c-a6d3-1929ccedc190.html

run pMc
09-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Bama RB Bo Scarborough (R4 Cowboy pick I think (?)) waived. I gotta think Gute is going to adjust the roster in the next day or two. I can't imagine going into Week 1 with 8 WRs, 4 TEs, and 2 RBs (and no FB's). Something's gotta give.

pbmax
09-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Jon Gruden is a terrible person.

Jon Gruden said he was not involved in including the second-round pick that went back to the Bears in the Khalil Mack trade.

He’s trying to throw his GM to the wolves.

hoosier
09-02-2018, 08:42 PM
And he said it AFTER Ryan Pace acknowledged he would have made the deal even without the D2. Gruden spent part of his childhood where I live, and his ability as a ball (baseball) player is still revered around here by the dinosaurs I coach against. But, yeah, he is probably one of the world's biggest assholes.

Joemailman
09-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Leveon Bell, who hasn't signed his franchise tag tender, hasn't reported to practice today.

Teamcheez1
09-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Leveon Bell, who hasn't signed his franchise tag tender, hasn't reported to practice today.

I'm guessing the Bears will be trading for him in the near future.

red
09-03-2018, 11:51 AM
I'm guessing the Bears will be trading for him in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPPNpPa0mY

KYPack
09-03-2018, 12:59 PM
OK, so I am not suggesting you watch the Bills Bengals on FOX for entertainment, but John Ross just left two Bills defenders lockless after a double move on an under thrown ball by Dalton.

Sorry, didn't see this before.

A tiny guy with scary skill set, sometimes. Blurry fast, but had zero catches for his rookie year. He will flash and then do some of the stupidest things you can imagine. You'd think the best way to use a kid like him would be in spots. He is injury prone bc of the small size.

That move was the type of flashy stuff he can do, but it doesn't come in bunches.

pbmax
09-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Randy Gregory under possible suspension for controlled substances relapse.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24621997/randy-gregory-dallas-cowboys-suffered-relapse-august-face-discipline-nfl

Schefter claims, though doesn't offer details, that the NFL has shifted this policy toward rehab since talks with the NFLPA in 2014. Says the shift toward treatment has been pronounced in the last year, which might mean those negotiated and not formally challenged drug suspensions are basically trading a few games less punishment for an agreement to complete a rehab stint.

pbmax
09-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Colts QB Andrew Luck admits to injuring shoulder snowboarding (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24622561/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-admits-injuring-shoulder-snowboarding)

As Andrew Luck prepares to play his first NFL regular-season game since 2016, the Indianapolis Colts quarterback has acknowledged a second shoulder injury he suffered while snowboarding during the 2015-16 offseason.

Colts quarterback Andrew Luck faces the final hurdle in his comeback on Sunday, when he'll play his first regular-season game in nearly two years against the Bengals.
Luck told NFL Network in a story published Sunday that he sprained the AC joint in his throwing shoulder in a snowboarding accident in Colorado.

First I'd like to apologize to the coaches and medical staff of the Colts, who I thought were being paid by Robert Kraft to wreck Andrew Luck. Second, I'd like to apologize to Jim Irsay. You are still a dumb, dangerous addicted lunatic, but you were not Bond villain levels of evil agreeing to play Luck while he was hurt the first time.

Joemailman
09-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Wonder why the Cowboys are struggling? They have nearly 30M in dead cap money. 8.9M to Romo, and 8M to Dez.

gbgary
09-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Wonder why the Cowboys are struggling? They have nearly 30M in dead cap money. 8.9M to Romo, and 8M to Dez.

they're in rebuilding mode, not win-now, anyway. they'll end up in another good draft position this year...draft a wr, te, and ol.

mraynrand
09-13-2018, 10:41 AM
they're in rebuilding mode, not win-now, anyway. they'll end up in another good draft position this year...draft a wr, te, and ol.

As much as I dislike Philly, I still chuckle thinking about them moving ahead of Dallas to draft Dallas Goedert.

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Somebody read ESPN.com today.

pbmax
09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Everything in this about Brady's version of the offense has been written about Rodgers. Does it simply develop the same way, are there the same techniques taught to defeat a good defensive call and coverage?

Or is there nothing new under the sun? Bernie Kosar's offense under everyone's fifth favorite Packer's coach Lindy Infante was an option route infused system. Packer beat guys mocking pass to daylight were just announcing their own eventual extinction. Did Kosar tell Webster Slaughter, Reggie Langhorne and Brian Brennan where he expected them to be if the D showed a different look?

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/12/why-running-routes-for-tom-brady-is-enormously-challenging/

mraynrand
09-14-2018, 11:10 AM
So make adjustments and be on the same page? Good tip.

pbmax
09-14-2018, 12:01 PM
So make adjustments and be on the same page? Good tip.

I can see this being a hang-up for both coaches and players. You have to be a bit stubborn about your success on the field to insist on adjusting the offense as developed in the offseason and called from the sideline.

Not every person likes to work in that way. They just want the system to work and not invent their own (even if they are capable).

I wonder of some coaches encourage this? Do some secretly fear this?

mraynrand
09-14-2018, 12:29 PM
I think it all flows from Cheat and Brady - Bill knows he can deconstruct and therefore attack any defense and Brady knows he can see everything that the defense is going to do before they do it (where have we heard that before?). So to win, all they have to do is execute the offensive adjustments each week (it’s why they have totally different game plans sometimes each week). That’s why you see Brady flip out a lot at his receivers - because they didn’t see what he did and they didn’t adjust.

Teamcheez1
09-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Josh Sitton out for the season with a shoulder injury.

pbmax
09-18-2018, 10:45 AM
It could be worse.

Ed Bouchette @EdBouchette
Sources: Antonio Brown didn't show up for work Monday http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/18/antonio-brown-trade-steelers-social-media-missed-meetings/stories/201809180117 … via @PittsburghPG

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2018, 11:26 AM
It could be worse.

Sources: Antonio Brown didn't show up for work Monday http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/09/18/antonio-brown-trade-steelers-social-media-missed-meetings/stories/201809180117 … via @PittsburghPG

Pittsburgh is falling apart. Bell will be gone after this season, Big Ben may hang it up after the season and if Brown starts throwing his weight around, he may be traded too (unlikely, IMO, but still plausible). They had their window and it closed in a hurry.

pbmax
09-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Pittsburgh is falling apart. Bell will be gone after this season, Big Ben may hang it up after the season and if Brown starts throwing his weight around, he may be traded too (unlikely, IMO, but still plausible). They had their window and it closed in a hurry.

Trust me, I have deep experience with this sort of Pittsburgh downturn. It'll last 2 seasons, maybe 3 max, then they'll be the hot, good team again, probably with new coaches but a holdover on defense. Its maddening.

Teamcheez1
09-18-2018, 12:00 PM
It could be worse.

I suppose the Patriots will now be trading for Antonio Brown next. Maybe a package deal with Leveon Bell.

mraynrand
09-18-2018, 12:30 PM
I suppose the Patriots will now be trading for Antonio Brown next. Maybe a package deal with Leveon Bell.

They'll probably trade Josh Gordon straight up for Brown and Bell.

Teamcheez1
09-20-2018, 10:57 AM
Browns got a 7th round pick for Gordon, which is essentially nothing. There must be a lot more to this story than is being reported.

mraynrand
09-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Browns got a 7th round pick for Gordon, which is essentially nothing. There must be a lot more to this story than is being reported.

Other than the six or seven times he's let the Browns down with drug use and suspensions, no, there's nothing else to the story. Second chances are fine. Sixth and Seventh chances and you lose the team, and when you're already a totally losing team, do you really want to crash further? You can't find a single player on the Browns who will say this wasn't a good decision.* Heard this on multiple local reports.

* (well, there's always one)

pbmax
09-20-2018, 12:25 PM

The Patriots got a seventh round pick. It was conditional but is no longer, apparently. No idea what happened there.

Browns still get the NE fifth.

run pMc
09-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Everyone knew Gordon would be cut, so they weren't going to offer a lot. He's a very good player but he's one suspension away from Siberia and has personal issues. I think it's a fair trade risk-wise...lots of upside for NE, but there's also a good probability he's not on the roster past Week 10.

QBME
09-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Other than the six or seven times he's let the Browns down with drug use and suspensions, no, there's nothing else to the story. Second chances are fine. Sixth and Seventh chances and you lose the team, and when you're already a totally losing team, do you really want to crash further? You can't find a single player on the Browns who will say this wasn't a good decision.* Heard this on multiple local reports.

* (well, there's always one)

Well stated. On the flip side of the coin Belichick has a history of taking troubled players and making them worthwhile.

NewsBruin
09-24-2018, 06:04 PM
Well stated. On the flip side of the coin Belichick has a history of taking troubled players and making them worthwhile.

But he still cuts them a year too early rather than a year too late. Moss and Ochocinco didn't stick around on their own terms.

I'm eternally rooting for Josh Gordon, but I don't see him being a lifer Patriot, and I don't see him ever getting paid what his talent is worth. Cleveland ate $100K for his signing, and the Patriots are only on the hook for about 7/8ths of $700K this year.

Joemailman
09-27-2018, 07:59 PM
Eric Reid signed by Panthers.

pbmax
09-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Eric Reid signed by Panthers.

Just a complete missed opportunity.

Bretsky
09-27-2018, 08:17 PM
Just a complete missed opportunity.

We have some serious manlove for a failing safety

Hopefully they are right

yetisnowman
09-27-2018, 08:36 PM
We have some serious manlove for a failing safety

Hopefully they are right

Failing? Oh you mean blackballed. He's better than any safety the Packers have. Was never gonna fly in ol' white bread Wisco though. Too bad, if would have been hilarious to see a good chunk of the fan base melt about it.

pbmax
09-27-2018, 08:47 PM
Failing? Oh you mean blackballed. He's better than any safety the Packers have. Was never gonna fly in ol' white bread Wisco though. Too bad, if would have been hilarious to see a good chunk of the fan base melt about it.

I think he means Brice. Or maybe Jones. And the they is probably the Packers.

yetisnowman
09-28-2018, 12:28 AM
I think he means Brice. Or maybe Jones. And the they is probably the Packers.

My mistake. Out of context, I thought he was talking about manlove for Reid.

mraynrand
09-28-2018, 08:03 AM

yawn

pbmax
10-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Packer fans don't dislike the Broncos more than Al Davis did:

Josh Dubow @JoshDubowAP
On Mike Shanahan: "Shanahan had success. But Shanahan has an asterisk next to those two Super Bowls, because they were caught cheating."

https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/1046413853200801792

pbmax
10-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Millennials are soft department:

Zak Keefer @zkeefer
Backstory on Matt Slauson's scary injury: Broke 2 vertebrae in his spine early 3Q Thursday, then played through it. Only later he learned he was one play away from serious damage -- could have been paralyzed. "I had no idea how close I was to changing my family's life," he said.

mraynrand
10-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Vikings' Mike Hughes is out for the season w/ ACL tear

pbmax
10-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Pigskin Books @Pigskin_Books
In 1920s football, moving the ball was so difficult that field position was vital. In one game, the Packers punted five times on first down! (From The Pro Football Chronicle, 1990, by Daly and O'Donnell.)
#PigskinBooks #FootballBooks

World War 1 was a terrible model for professional football.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpnjotsXUAEgGjD.jpg

hoosier
10-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Yikes, punting on first down. Where would you have to be to want to do that? At your own 15 is too far; you might move the ball. Inside your own ten is too close to the goalline: need to get some yardage to give the punter more room. Punting on first down isn't even a good idea in Canadian football.

Cheesehead Craig
10-16-2018, 11:14 AM
Yikes, punting on first down. Where would you have to be to want to do that? At your own 15 is too far; you might move the ball. Inside your own ten is too close to the goalline: need to get some yardage to give the punter more room. Punting on first down isn't even a good idea in Canadian football.

Well, they did win 3-0, so the strategy worked. Lambeau was a genius!

mraynrand
10-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Well, they did win 3-0, so the strategy worked. Lambeau was a genius!

Ya, the field was a muddy mess though. Does anyone recall the Steelers game a few years back where the field was a total soggy mudpit? The game went kinda this way - no one could move the ball at all. Still, we do have the incredible forward pass...

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/27/2781/G6OTD00Z/affiches/art-rickerby-the-packers-in-light-jerseys-and-the-browns-in-the-dark.jpg

pbmax
10-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Comp update:!Rams are trading a 2019 third-round pick and a 2020 fifth-round pick to Jaguars for DE Dante Fowler, per source.

Any pass rush with Fowler?

pbmax
10-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Apparently

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Source: The #Rams are trading for #Jaguars pass-rusher Dante Fowler.

pbmax
10-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Bears might set an NFL record for INTs this week if Peterman plays the whole game.

If only Peanut Tillman was around to pad that career total.

With Derek Anderson suffering a concussion, Bills QB Nathan Peterman is expected to start Sunday vs the Chicago Bears, per sources.

Anti-Polar Bear
10-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Bears might set an NFL record for INTs this week if Peterman plays the whole game.

With Derek Anderson suffering a concussion, Bills QB Nathan Peterman is expected to start Sunday vs the Chicago Bears, per sources.

Tillman’s a 5-0 now. Chasing little green ETs for the FBI.

Fritz
10-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Lions make weird move - they trade for a run-stuffing D-lineman, then trade Golden Tate away.

They don't know if they're coming or going.

mraynrand
10-30-2018, 08:26 PM

"Two Picks at the same time"

https://regularguybrewing.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/wpid-original.jpg

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Mary Kay Cabot

Verified account

@MaryKayCabot
Follow Follow @MaryKayCabot
More
#Browns interim HC Gregg Williams: "Since I left Buffalo, I had 11 letters to interview for HC jobs, 4 of them didn't even have to interview, just show up and sign the contract"

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 09:14 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq3QmrNWwAECNOg.jpg

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Louis Riddick

Verified account

@LRiddickESPN
Follow Follow @LRiddickESPN
More
If I had $1 for every time I watch #NFL LB’s let a WR/TE cross their face/have free access upfield in pass game w/o laying a hand on them within the five yard legal contact zone...It clearly isn’t being taught/emphasized, & is just another reason offensive coaches are laughing...

pbmax
11-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala
49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan won an @NFL game w/ a third-string 23-year old undrafted free agent at QB, one who’d had a 20-21 record at Southern Miss. But hey, if Shanahan had lost, he could’ve always said he couldn’t “run” his offense “b/c we didn’t have the players.” #Browns

AK is taking a shot at Hue Jackson's interview I believe.

But McCarthy can do this. He revved up Flynn to compete with the Patriots. But when he doesn't stretch himself its very business as usual.

I think we have passed the point he will change (he did not find his footing with Hundley last year) and think he probably should be gone. But the odds of getting someone better are pretty long.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Raiders are probably terrible next year, cap space is an illusion because of so few players under contract are young and part of the core moving forward:

https://twitter.com/MikeTanier/status/1058351699667152898

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala
49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan won an @NFL game w/ a third-string 23-year old undrafted free agent at QB, one who’d had a 20-21 record at Southern Miss. But hey, if Shanahan had lost, he could’ve always said he couldn’t “run” his offense “b/c we didn’t have the players.” #Browns

AK is taking a shot at Hue Jackson's interview I believe.

Yes he is. Hue is trying to rehabilitate 3-36-1 to get a coordinator rather than a position coaching job. He may have to take a lower tier college job

But McCarthy can do this. He revved up Flynn to compete with the Patriots. But when he doesn't stretch himself its very business as usual.

I think we have passed the point he will change (he did not find his footing with Hundley last year) and think he probably should be gone. But the odds of getting someone better are pretty long.

Stubby prepared his team and had a legit shot at beating the Rams on the road. There's not much wrong with the guy. Sometimes the truth is that you really don't have the horses. That's where the Packers are right now. With everyone healthy, they can field a strong offense with a weakness on the right side of the O-line and a fair defense with no pass rush. Because of the lack of depth, the margin is razor thin, but they can still win a lot of games. Stubby will have less cache if they lose, even if players are hurt. if Murph/Gute want to (are moving to) replace him, they better already have an idea who they want in his place and then keep their fingers crossed the Packers/Rodgers don't over-perform.

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2018, 10:45 AM
It's so satisfying to finally have the talking heads see what many of us saw for so long. That Gruden was an overrated HC and is just a TV persona. Oakland is becoming worse than Cleveland, and they can thank Davis and Gruden for that.

pbmax
11-02-2018, 11:31 AM
It's so satisfying to finally have the talking heads see what many of us saw for so long. That Gruden was an overrated HC and is just a TV persona. Oakland is becoming worse than Cleveland, and they can thank Davis and Gruden for that.

I do think he is not quite this bad, he has 10 years and he is planning on tanking the first 2-3 of them. And if he doesn't survive the way he wished to, he will retire and collect most of his contract.

Really, its all about The (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729018-the-definitive-history-of-trust-the-process) Process (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/7/16747050/sashi-brown-fired-cleveland-browns).

pbmax
11-02-2018, 11:39 AM
This one is for Tank.

ChuckModi @ChuckModi1
In studying white QBs, the gen rule is if any white hope QB can win 3 games in a row, the hype will be so great another team will blow millions on them.
Since Nick Mullens next 2 games are Giants & Bucs, he has legit chance to hit White Hope QB Lotto. I’m dead serious.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq9gIjnX0AAIc-A.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq9gIjoWsAEzTO1.jpg

mraynrand
11-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Rotweiller just tore it up for three straight weeks: 135.4, 94.9, and 114.9, with 6 TDs and 3 INTs (ha ha, he was 4-5 mopping up at NE). Who cares if he was 1-2 and then got shelled against Houston. They will keep recycling this guy, he will get hot, someone will think they need a better QB and can rescue him (Gruden?) and then he gets the next big contract. lol. BRING BLACK KAP!!!

mraynrand
11-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Anyone have the skinny on the Bruce Irvin release?

KYPack
11-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Appears to be a salary move in Gruden's "Drive to Oblivion".

pbmax
11-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Appears to be a salary move in Gruden's "Drive to Oblivion".

Gearing up for a lot of Gruden's Grinders signings.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-04-2018, 01:50 AM
This one is for Tank.

ChuckModi @ChuckModi1
In studying white QBs, the gen rule is if any white hope QB can win 3 games in a row, the hype will be so great another team will blow millions on them.
Since Nick Mullens next 2 games are Giants & Bucs, he has legit chance to hit White Hope QB Lotto. I’m dead serious.

All i’ll say is, I like my corners dark and my qbs pale (or mutant, like Kap), even though I support nfl oddity.

And, yes, I gotta get some new materials, but seriously, Mahomes looks like a white QB in full armor. Dude takes off his helmet and lo and behold, cornrows. I’m like, wtf, is he trying to be black like Post Malone, or is he really black?

pbmax
11-04-2018, 07:55 AM

Working on it. In the mean time ...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Before the trade deadline, the #Falcons had teams trying to trade for pass-rusher Vic Beasley. They decided to stick with him, not giving up on their former first-rounder or the season.

Perhaps Packers preferred someone else and think Irvin is done?

pbmax
11-04-2018, 08:10 AM

Probably goes without saying but they tried to trade him and no takers. Due $4 million if a waiver claim. So at first blush, if teams want him, they want him much cheaper.

Vic Tafur @VicTafur
Breaking: #Raiders have cut defensive end Bruce Irvin, league sources said. Story to come

Odin Bathen Nonstad @Odinbn
Full $8.25M in dead cap this year, no cap hit next year which is where the rebuilding starts. Big step in the right direction.

ONE RANDOM PERSON THINKS ITS A STRICTLY CAP MOVE FOR A GUY THAT WAS DUE BIG MONEY

AT SOME POINT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE ATHLETIC

https://t.co/2IgfFoyxaz

OK, FOLLOW ALONG, NEED TO TRANSLATE THE JOKE OUT OF THIS TWEET ABOUT THE ARTICLE

J.R. Furst @sports_poet
Replying to @TheAthleticSF @VicTafur
Typo: “Team sources said Irvin, one of the team captains, and coach Jon Gruden met Friday and discussed Irvin’s frustration with his lack of playing team.”

SO PLAYING TIME?

pbmax
11-04-2018, 08:32 AM
As complementary pass rusher, he was great last year with Mack. Career high 8 sacks. This year as primary guy, he has 3 and the Raiders have 7 as a team. Despite the contract seems like he might be a complementary piece. So, maybe?

He was not the base D starter. He had moved to DE in the new scheme but came out when they went heavy to protect against the rush. So still a tweener.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25168537/oakland-raiders-release-de-bruce-irvin

mraynrand
11-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Chad Beebe had 3 catches for 21 yards versus Loins. If Ras hadn't been so hammered, he would have told us. But, 10 sacks blurred his vision. Beebe is well-liked and was activated from the P Squad to fill in for Diggs.

Teamcheez1
11-09-2018, 07:34 PM
The Dez Bryant experiment appears to be officially over with the Saints. It's reported he tore his achilles on the last play of practice Friday.

Joemailman
11-09-2018, 07:53 PM
No wonder Packers didn't sign him. If he was worthy of being a Packer, he would have pulled a hamstring.

Guiness
11-10-2018, 04:44 PM
The Dez Bryant experiment appears to be officially over with the Saints. It's reported he tore his achilles on the last play of practice Friday.

lol!

what will be interesting is if they keep him around and let him rehab at their facilities or come to an injury settlement and get him off the property

mraynrand
11-12-2018, 08:52 AM
With a win over the Failcons yesterday, Gregg Williams now has one third the victories as Head Coach of the Browns as Hue Jackson did.

pbmax
11-12-2018, 03:30 PM
With a win over the Failcons yesterday, Gregg Williams now has one third the victories as Head Coach of the Browns as Hue Jackson did.

He's terrible but can coach a defense. Just as his son the Schwartz an do.

Teamcheez1
11-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Le' veon Bell decides to site out the entire 2018 season. I think this will come back to haunt him.

KYPack
11-14-2018, 06:18 PM
The NFL's foreign efforts fails again.

The stadium in Mexico City (the turf) was damaged so severely by a concert, the MNF btw the Rams & Chiefs has been moved to LA.

The Rams are catching all the breaks this year.

pbmax
11-14-2018, 07:02 PM
The NFL's foreign efforts fails again.

The stadium in Mexico City (the turf) was damaged so severely by a concert, the MNF btw the Rams & Chiefs has been moved to LA.

The Rams are catching all the breaks this year.

Blame Shakira's fans!

Joemailman
11-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Is John Dorsey okay?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25310452/cleveland-browns-want-interview-condoleezza-rice-head-coaching-job

Browns general manager John Dorsey said last week that he was open to hiring a woman as Cleveland's next head coach, and there is one prominent name on the team's wish list to interview.

The Browns would like to interview former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for their head-coaching job, a league source tells ESPN.

pbmax
11-18-2018, 10:41 AM
There is no way this is true. Hire her to be President of Football Operations? OK. Dumb but OK, she has baseline administrative experience in complex orgs.

pbmax
11-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Rivers McCown @riversmccown
Experience with quagmires a plus!

Joemailman
11-18-2018, 11:12 AM
There is no way this is true. Hire her to be President of Football Operations? OK. Dumb but OK, she has baseline administrative experience in complex orgs.

Perhaps a novel approach to dealing with The Rooney Rule?

There wouldn't seem to be a lot of room for a hire in the Browns football operations area, unless some body hires Wolf as GM.

pbmax
11-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Perhaps a novel approach to dealing with The Rooney Rule?

There wouldn't seem to be a lot of room for a hire in the Browns football operations area, unless some body hires Wolf as GM.

Its probably the former.

But I don't know what is worse, people on Twitter condemning the idea a woman could coach or the other idiots on Twitter saying she knows more football that 99% of those complaining on Twitter.

Being in the top percentile on Twitter might sound nice, but it doesn't make you a coach.

Maybe she could coach, maybe she couldn't. But I haven't seen a coherent argument for her ability to do so.

Mostly I think the idea was floated to gullible people.

Joemailman
11-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Its probably the former.

But I don't know what is worse, people on Twitter condemning the idea a woman could coach or the other idiots on Twitter saying she knows more football that 99% of those complaining on Twitter.

Being in the top percentile on Twitter might sound nice, but it doesn't make you a coach.

Maybe she could coach, maybe she couldn't. But I haven't seen a coherent argument for her ability to do so.

Mostly I think the idea was floated to gullible people.

You can't be an NFL head coach without having some kind of coaching background. She would likely be more qualified to be involved in the hiring of a coach than in actually being a coach.

pbmax
11-18-2018, 01:56 PM
You can't be an NFL head coach without having some kind of coaching background. She would likely be more qualified to be involved in the hiring of a coach than in actually being a coach.

I don't know. You have offensive and defensive coordinators who scheme and plan the install for practice.

You need to oversee them, not sure you have to be scheme doctor, and make sure they fix what needs to be fixed.

You need to make punt/kick and 4th down calls plus manage time. Monkeys do this better than most NFL coaches.

You need metrics to watch that other assistants are getting the job done. You need to communicate needs on personnel to GM.

I think it could be done with an executive approach. Bill doesn't call defense or offense and somehow the world of the Patriots spins on.

It'll never happen, because the talent pool is EXCLUSIVELY former coaches, but its not impossible to succeed with another approach.

Rastak
11-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Alex Smith leg snapped like a twig.....OUCH....

Joemailman
11-18-2018, 02:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsTX1s9W0AcmENC.jpg

pbmax
11-18-2018, 03:46 PM
So did a Fake Rapport Twitter account foot the actual Schefter or what?

Joemailman
11-18-2018, 03:53 PM
Condoleezza Rice
4 hours ago
I love my Browns -- and I know they will hire an experienced coach to take us to the next level.

On a more serious note, I do hope that the NFL will start to bring women into the coaching profession as position coaches and eventually coordinators and head coaches. One doesn't have to play the game to understand it and motivate players. But experience counts -- and it is time to develop a pool of experienced women coaches.

BTW -- I'm not ready to coach but I would like to call a play or two next season if the Browns need ideas! And at no time will I call for a "prevent defense.".

Fritz
11-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Is John Dorsey okay?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25310452/cleveland-browns-want-interview-condoleezza-rice-head-coaching-job

Maybe you're not interpreting "head coach" correctly.

pbmax
11-27-2018, 09:06 AM
And remember, the same people who hired Hue Jackson as head coach have hired Jon Gruden.

Geoff Schwartz @geoffschwartz
Last comment on this (hopefully). Ppl are treating this situation like it’s commonplace. It’s never happened before. A fired head coach goes on a media tour, gets hired a few weeks after being fired for a division rival and helps the opposite side of the ball.

Mike Tanier@MikeTanier
Then wants a hug-for-the-cameras from the QB he refused to give 1st-team reps, then name-dropped all the QBs he would have preferred drafting during his Media Blame Junket? Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE Bill Walsh never did that?

HUE SHOULD BE FREE TO WORK WHEREVER HE WISHES, BUT HE MOSTLY WISHES TO KEEP HIMSELF IN THE NEWS

mraynrand
12-01-2018, 06:02 AM
Cleveland does things to a man

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2018/11/30/kareem-hunt-kansas-city-chiefs-hits-kicks-woman-february-video/2164649002/

pbmax
12-01-2018, 09:20 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2018/11/30/kareem-hunt-kansas-city-chiefs-hits-kicks-woman-february-video/2164649002/

Video hurt as much as Cleveland did: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/01/chiefs-take-a-different-approach-with-kareem-hunt-than-with-tyreek-hill/

If there was video of that somehow surfacing, Kansas City would look a tiny bit different on offense.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2018, 09:25 AM

If the women were black, nobody would give a fuck. Shit like this is why when God created the races, He put the blacks in Africa, the whites in Europe, and the yellows in Asia. To God, interracial relation is an abomination. Take note, Tex.

On a serious note, no excuse for Hunt’s actions. What’s the saying? Sticks and stones...

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2018, 09:30 AM
An Asian chick friend of mine once bitched slapped me for, regretfully, going out of line amid a Packer beat down at the hands of the fucking eagles during the Sherman era.

I turned the other cheek for I deserved it. But i’ve Hated the fucking eagles ever since. I hate the eagles more than I hate the bears, lions and queens combined.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Who wants to bet Hunt gets 6 games then gets to resume his nfl career, all the while the pig owners continue to collude to keep Kap out of the league?

Kneel to shed light on social injustices, and get kicked out of the league. Assault women and get 6 gms suspension. Grope a woman and get 3 games. Bully a teammate and nfl welcomes you back with open arms. SMH

pbmax
12-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Need Rand's response to this statement:

Browns fans are very happy with Randall and he seems to be thriving at safety.

Its in a Reddit AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/a42u86/im_jim_owczarski_packers_beat_reporter_for_the/

But of all the things I would like to hold Gute's feet to the fire on, I am not sure this is top of the list.

Also, seems like Gute could have been at two other teams according to Jim Owczarski. San Fran we heard about but also:

That said, Gutey is REALLY highly thought of. He'd be the GM of the Texans right now if he wasn't hired in Green Bay. So, he'd be running a team.

esoxx
12-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Really not liking the Murphy power grab. I get the triangle decision b/c of the silos situation (which wouldn't have occurred if Murphy hadn't been so detached), but he should restore it back to the way it was now that he has sent both TT & MM packing. I'm very disappointed Murphy is keeping it this way.

An easy argument could be made Murphy was negligent in allowing TT to stay on past his expiration date as he was clearly slipping. He bears a lot of responsibility for where we are now but instead we have him acting like a quasi-owner that has all the answers going forward. Not good.

Fritz
12-09-2018, 07:52 AM
In other NFL news-that-isn't-news, the Lions are still floundering.

Unless Matt Patricia can really up his game, he doesn't look like a threat to the NFC North anytime soon.

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2018, 06:14 PM
It ain't over yet, but MY Cowboys are on the way to completing an Excellent Day in terms of keeping the Packers playoff hopes alive.

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Not to be a broken record hahahahaha, but LUCK has a lot to do with things in the NFL. Good Job Cowboys of helping the Packers.