PDA

View Full Version : Official 2019 Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

The Shadow
04-14-2019, 09:43 AM
I will puke if they take Metcalf at #12, and will still feel sick if they take him at #30.. That dude's got "bust" written all over him.

Agree wholeheartedly. I suspect this is a smokescreen... I HOPE this is a smokescreen.

red
04-14-2019, 11:32 AM
I will puke if they take Metcalf at #12, and will still feel sick if they take him at #30.. That dude's got "bust" written all over him.

i think he also has a huge upside

so big boom or bust guy.

the tape on him does look very good, but he's missed a lot of time with injuries

watching those videos, his QB really sucked

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Can he block, even a little? We sure as hell don't need a WR, but at that size with those numbers, he might be a project to turn into a stretch-the-field TE - no way at #12, slim chance at #30; By the second round, he might be a bargain.

mraynrand
04-14-2019, 01:21 PM
Can he block, even a little? We sure as hell don't need a WR, but at that size with those numbers, he might be a project to turn into a stretch-the-field TE - no way at #12, slim chance at #30; By the second round, he might be a bargain.

He looked like a willing blocker in those vids. A guy like that you could play all over the place, but I don't like his moves on his routes at all, like Nutz said. Pretty sloppy on his footwork and breaks. Doesn't seem to be fooling anyone.

Joemailman
04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
His stock has dropped since the Combine. Once rated a sure top-10 pick, a lot of people are mocking him in the 20's. If Gutey does want him, there's a pretty good chance he could trade down and still get him.

run pMc
04-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Agree he's boom or bust ("high ceiling/high floor" LOL). He had a bad QB and two other WRs in AJ Brown and Lodge, so his production doesn't look great. The injuries are a big concern IMO...for as muscled up as he is, will be busted for PEDs or unavailable because of tweaked hamstrings and whatnot? The lack of separation is a bigger issue. Maybe the 4.3 speed tells you he can win on a go route, but MVS can run that too. I don't think Metcalf would be a good fit in MLF's offense. I could see him fitting better with someone like Bruce Arians.

I'd be nervous about drafting him with a top 10 pick if I were a GM...usually those guys have their job on the line with that kind of pick.

I agree there are enough other WRs out there who could be found in Day2 and maybe Day3 that could be solid contributors.

As for the Packers interest, I'd think it more likely that it's a smokescreen...they brought AJ Brown in for a visit, not Metcalf. Might be misdirection to get the masses linking GB to the wrong Ole Miss WR. Either way, I don't know how anyone can believe any rumors this time of year...every team is pumping out misinformation like crazy.

RashanGary
04-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Metcalf is only fast in a straight line. I think he’s garbage.

pbmax
04-14-2019, 04:19 PM
I would just blast this as a measure of Mel Kiper's increasing ineffectiveness and irrelevance, but the Packers GM does love size/speed prospects.

Joemailman
04-14-2019, 04:38 PM
As for the Packers interest, I'd think it more likely that it's a smokescreen...they brought AJ Brown in for a visit, not Metcalf. Might be misdirection to get the masses linking GB to the wrong Ole Miss WR. Either way, I don't know how anyone can believe any rumors this time of year...every team is pumping out misinformation like crazy.

It could be a smokescreen. Then again, bringing in AJ Brown could be a smokescreen if they want to disguise that they like Metcalf. Who knows? If TT were still the GM I don't think he'd be on the Packers radar in the early rounds. TT liked to draft WR's who caught LOTS of passes. But perhaps Gutey looks at a a completely different set of parameters.

wist43
04-14-2019, 04:39 PM
I think Gute has a good eye... don't think he'd make a mistake on Metcalf.

Burks last year was a major WTF, but he was the only one. Still can't wrap my mind around that Burks pick.

mraynrand
04-14-2019, 04:54 PM
I think Gute has a good eye... don't think he'd make a mistake on Metcalf.

Burks last year was a major WTF, but he was the only one. Still can't wrap my mind around that Burks pick.

Took a flyer on a real athlete

SMBASS
04-14-2019, 05:32 PM
Just my personal preference, but I still don't want Burns, Sweat or definitely not Metcalf at 12. I'm even beginning to wonder if White is worth the pick if he's still available. I'm still thinking that if things play out correctly you may be able to drop down a few spots, gain another high pick and still get a player in the same tier.

I have a feeling Bosa may end up being the player that drops some and surprises everyone.

Teamcheez1
04-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Just my personal preference, but I still don't want Burns, Sweat or definitely not Metcalf at 12. I'm even beginning to wonder if White is worth the pick if he's still available. I'm still thinking that if things play out correctly you may be able to drop down a few spots, gain another another high pick and still get a player in the same tier.

I have a feeling Bosa may end up being the player that drops some and surprises everyone.

Trade back and still get a great player.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2019, 08:39 PM
Ask and you shall receive. 3 Badger OL in round 1. Remember when OL was a weakness under Anderson and Chyst's first year?

This mock draft is all out STUPID from a Packer point of view - and I really don't give a shit about any other point of view.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2019, 09:19 PM
Talking about receivers, the 2018 receiver class was about a b- in terms of potential. This class is an A in terms of potential. In 2018 no rookie wide receiver went for a 1000 yards. The closest was Calvin Ridley who had 64 catches for 821 yards. 2 running backs where in the top 3 in catches. MVS had over 500 yards receiving at 15.3 yards per catch and was drafted in the 5th round. Statistically he was a top 10 rookie wide receiver, especially if you subtract the two running backs. It wasn't a strong receiver class last year, and the Packers managed to grab one in the 5th round that put up top ten numbers for rookies. Ridley went in the second round.

Wide Receiver is a position that is not known for immediate production. Potential is usually not fully realized until the third year on receivers. If fans are looking for an immediate impact position in the first round the best route seems to be defensive back, offensive line, running back, and linebacker.

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2019, 10:18 PM
Woof, big hell no to Metcalf. This is a defensive player draft. Choose the BPA that's not Metcalf and keep it simple.

red
04-14-2019, 11:59 PM
I would just blast this as a measure of Mel Kiper's increasing ineffectiveness and irrelevance, but the Packers GM does love size/speed prospects.

and our QB does like the long ball along the sideline which seemed to be metcalfs bread and butter

red
04-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Woof, big hell no to Metcalf. This is a defensive player draft. Choose the BPA that's not Metcalf and keep it simple.

pretty much every draft for us the over the last decade has been a "defensive player draft"

and we still suck on defense

RashanGary
04-15-2019, 12:08 AM
Maxx Crosby DE eastern Michigan is a beast. Explosive af. Reminds me of the way clay used to close.

wist43
04-15-2019, 12:24 AM
If Taylor, White, Burns, and Oliver are gone - then yes, I'd be ok with trading back.

If any one of those 4 is there - make the pick.

call_me_ishmael
04-15-2019, 01:19 AM
pretty much every draft for us the over the last decade has been a "defensive player draft"

and we still suck on defense

Don't disagree we're not so hot at defense, but the bottom line is this: They need to take the best player available since they're short on talent, and that will almost certainly be a defender, offensive linemen or Hockenson.

wist43
04-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Read an article that said Philadelphia has taken Oliver off their board after a predraft visit.

Apparently Oliver had a run in with his HC at Houston where he tried to go after him. Then Philly's predraft visit did not go well.

Character concerns might drop Oliver.

mraynrand
04-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Read an article that said Philadelphia has taken Oliver off their board after a predraft visit.

Apparently Oliver had a run in with his HC at Houston where he tried to go after him. Then Philly's predraft visit did not go well.

Is Latrell Sprewell available for a consult?

pbmax
04-15-2019, 09:20 AM

I'd be careful with this stuff now. People are trying to get players to drop to them. If its anonymous, I'd be suspicious.

Got a link?

pbmax
04-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Who could have leaked it?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/eagles-bring-in-ed-oliver-for-a-visit/

Eagles meet with Oliver, and are picking 25th when he is not expected to be available. Hmmm.

Deputy Nutz
04-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Really the exact opposite of his character profile up until this rumor/news. The kid is kind of a hick. He likes to raise and take care of horses in his home town. Soft spoken, not much of an out going personality, so something must have happened to really piss him off.

This is good news for any of the teams that were hoping he would drop.

red
04-15-2019, 10:29 AM
I'd be careful with this stuff now. People are trying to get players to drop to them. If its anonymous, I'd be suspicious.

Got a link?

Tis the season

red
04-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Who could have leaked it?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/eagles-bring-in-ed-oliver-for-a-visit/

Eagles meet with Oliver, and are picking 25th when he is not expected to be available. Hmmm.

I wonder if a player could sue a team for making something up in order for the player to fall that far.

The player would be losing money

pbmax
04-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Charles Robinson @CharlesRobinson
#Missouri’s Drew Lock will be visiting with the #Packers today. Legit visit from what I’ve been told.

A. Draft trade bait - get someone to believe you are going to repeat history and draft Rodgers successor in a draft known for specific D needs, then trade down

B. Repeat History - Draft Rodgers successor because M3 was a good coach but was horribly wrong about DeShone Kizer

C. Due Diligence - He is the pick at 30

D. Leave Me Alone - who cares?!

Fritz
04-15-2019, 11:15 AM

If he's this kind of character, I'd say the Packers could use one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqbcj0dg5AE

run pMc
04-15-2019, 12:20 PM
Considering they played him at nose and kept him on the field all the time, I wouldn't be surprised if he got frustrated with the coaches, but I think this is all pre-draft nonsense.
Pretty rotten how teams can mess with someone's draft status like that...big difference in getting drafted top 10 vs. at #25. I don't think there's any way he drops that far unless these stories come out as truth that he pulled a Sprewell.

pbmax
04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Washington St. OT Andre Dillard, a projected first-round pick, visiting today with the Falcons and the Chargers on way back home. He already has worked out or visited Giants, Jets, Dolphins, Ravens, Titans, Panthers, Vikings, Jaguars, Bills, Texans, Bengals, Packers, Redskins.

pbmax
04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Considering they played him at nose and kept him on the field all the time, I wouldn't be surprised if he got frustrated with the coaches, but I think this is all pre-draft nonsense.
Pretty rotten how teams can mess with someone's draft status like that...big difference in getting drafted top 10 vs. at #25. I don't think there's any way he drops that far unless these stories come out as truth that he pulled a Sprewell.

Someone might just want him to drop into the teens so they can trade for him.

Deputy Nutz
04-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Day 21

Dru Tranquill LB, Notre Dame
Films: Stanford, Vanderbilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4GqwhsFS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD4znpFcS0&t=69s

First Take: I like him. Tranquill is undersized but he is 6'2" 235 pounds so I don't know how undersized he really is. He absolutely flies around the field, and has some of the best tackling progression out there. He can run with the TE, and backs, and can big slot receivers. He offers a lot of flexibility and that is exactly what defensive coordinators are looking for. Tranquill plays with a great attitude, and was an Academic Heisman finalist. Very good instincts that comes with watching film and more importantly understanding film. Two ACl injuries should have NFL scouts concerned, although both tears happened on separate knees. Traquill had a sub 7 seconds on the three cone which is always a plus when looking at linebackers. I think he could a be a low third round pick to a an mid fourth round pick if all goes well for him. Also his wife is a smoke show.

call_me_ishmael
04-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Bottom line WRT to Oliver, what has changed since Bosa and Oliver were 1/2 for the past 365 days? Nothing on tape, nothing from an athletic perspective. Teams are gonna overthink this one and miss out on a guy that appears to be special.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-15-2019, 04:22 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/13/draft-analysts-hearing-buzz-around-packers-wr-d-k-metcalf/

If the German Shepherd drafts Metcalf, I will personally name my future shutdown corner offspring “Gutey.”

mraynrand
04-15-2019, 08:12 PM
If he's this kind of character, I'd say the Packers could use one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqbcj0dg5AE

Defensive players really ought to enjoy hitting people. Do you hear me Ha Ha Clinton’s Dick?

mraynrand
04-15-2019, 08:12 PM
If the German Shepherd drafts Metcalf, I will personally name my future shutdown corner offspring “Gutey.”

So you’ve decided to go the artificial insemination/surrogate route?

The Shadow
04-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Is there a team dumb enough to trade up for Metcalf?

call_me_ishmael
04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026563/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-30-drew-lock-to-packers

Man, I gotta say this would not thrill me. I have no doubt Bush is a good player but is he a game changing type talent? I'm not so sure. Then again, I don't watch much football so who knows. My gut feeling is positional importance is just not high enough there. I would be naively upset knowing they left a freak athlete like Sweat or Burns on the board to go with an undersized-but-speedy-big-10-linebacker.

pbmax
04-16-2019, 11:33 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026563/article/daniel-jeremiah-2019-nfl-mock-draft-30-drew-lock-to-packers

Man, I gotta say this would not thrill me. I have no doubt Bush is a good player but is he a game changing type talent? I'm not so sure. Then again, I don't watch much football so who knows. My gut feeling is positional importance is just not high enough there. I would be naively upset knowing they left a freak athlete like Sweat or Burns on the board to go with an undersized-but-speedy-big-10-linebacker.

I would be optimistic about Bush or Whilte because of the level of competition they faced AND because they have the skill set that is missing from the pass ILB position (Nitro to Capers).

I wouldn't be excited about a player who has to come off on obvious running downs, so that would be the concern.

But if Pettine needs this kind of player in his defense, instead of another well rounded but coverage susceptible ILB, then by all means draft him and find another Morrison.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Sweat tested well, but I wouldn't call him a freak athlete, not by a long shot. Same with Burns. Combine tests don't always translate to ability.

Bush's combine tests backs up his ability on the field.

I wouldn't be thrilled with the pick at 12, but the Packers have an obvious need at inside linebacker, and Bush has been skyrocketing up draft boards.

pbmax
04-16-2019, 12:08 PM
Brian Burke (formerly Advanced Football Analytics) developed a calculator for ESPN that combines Scouts Inc. grades (Woodbuck will be happy) and combine numbers to project future levels of success for players. At #1, 70% chance to be a pro bowler in 3 years, is Devin White.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26531220/projecting-most-likely-pro-bowl-players-2019-nfl-draft-class

bobblehead
04-16-2019, 12:20 PM

Depending on how things fall I wouldn't be upset if we land Bush. However if the draft fell this way I would want to trade down. Dillard, Burns, Sweat, Bush all still there?? Yea, I would be happy to trade back and add quality picks.

mraynrand
04-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Brian Burke (formerly Advanced Football Analytics) developed a calculator for ESPN that combines Scouts Inc. grades (Woodbuck will be happy) and combine numbers to project future levels of success for players. At #1, 70% chance to be a pro bowler in 3 years, is Devin White.

lol. His happiness is 7.78 and mine is 7.43.

run pMc
04-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Depending on how things fall I wouldn't be upset if we land Bush. However if the draft fell this way I would want to trade down. Dillard, Burns, Sweat, Bush all still there?? Yea, I would be happy to trade back and add quality picks.

Agree. FWIW I'm meh on Sweat -- I think he's raw and would be a better fit as a 4-3 DE.

pbmax
04-16-2019, 12:58 PM
lol. His happiness is 7.78 and mine is 7.43.

We should construct and teach a college level course about what those grades represent, the level of significance and their influence on people's beliefs.

pbmax
04-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Packers Talk with their tea leaf reading on what the Packers seem to want in the draft based on visits and interviews with prospects. They begin with the caveat that last year's #1 pick never met with the team. They do not see ILB. They see Edge, OL and TE. In other words, the list of needs you could have gotten from before the Combine.

https://packerstalk.com/2019/04/16/what-to-learn-from-the-packers-pre-draft-visits/

call_me_ishmael
04-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Agree. FWIW I'm meh on Sweat -- I think he's raw and would be a better fit as a 4-3 DE.

How, though? He put up a legendary combine after stacking up great college numbers and a great senior bowl. He seems legit to me.

call_me_ishmael
04-16-2019, 01:10 PM
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1118203062882111490

Montez Sweat, Dalton Risner and Darnell Savage has to be one of my favorite combinations for the #Packers to start the 2019 draft.

Now that's a tremendous draft. Not so sure Risner will be around then, though. If either Hockenson or Fant was there at 30 in the case Risner isn't, that is a tremendous, tremendous draft in my opinion*

* I don't watch football.

pbmax
04-16-2019, 02:05 PM
I have moved back to thinking its an EDGE in the first 20 picks because I expect Dr. Zaius to move inside for passing downs. Means there is a part time job for a true EDGE rusher.

Can't be sure the Baltimore defense is still the Lewis/Ryan defense that Pettine learned, but it sure seems that way.

The Shadow
04-16-2019, 07:46 PM
I am beginning to think Offensive Tackle at 12......

bobblehead
04-16-2019, 07:51 PM
I am beginning to think Offensive Tackle at 12......

I think to myself that Dillard would look real good in G and G, but then I think, man, he is truly a LT prospect and we have a LT. It would almost be criminal putting him at RT.

wist43
04-16-2019, 09:02 PM
Jawan Taylor is my top OT so far... need to look more though.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2019, 04:13 AM
So you’ve decided to go the artificial insemination/surrogate route?

Flip burgers for the minimum-wage, despite being educated. Can’t afford that sophisticated, high-society shit.

Hopefully, a hot chick of African ancestry will accept my seed naturally someday soon. I mean I ain’t young anymore.

Fosco33
04-17-2019, 05:39 AM
I don’t think sweat will be there when pack picks. If he is - I’d take him.

mraynrand
04-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Flip burgers for the minimum-wage, despite being educated. Can’t afford that sophisticated, high-society shit.

Hopefully, a hot chick of African ancestry will accept my seed naturally someday soon. I mean I ain’t young anymore.

Don't ever give up on your dreams

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F_-Vo_nsaVrU%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1

bobblehead
04-17-2019, 08:42 AM
I've done the fanspeak draft multiple times with many settings and I always come away with 3 players I am very happy with in the first 3 picks. I will say though, as the draft gets closer I find myself wishing it had a trade down option more and more often.

ThunderDan
04-17-2019, 09:33 AM
I've done the fanspeak draft multiple times with many settings and I always come away with 3 players I am very happy with in the first 3 picks. I will say though, as the draft gets closer I find myself wishing it had a trade down option more and more often.

It does if you pay for a subscription. The free version is just pick when your team is up.

pbmax
04-17-2019, 11:18 AM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

Add Ole Miss' Greg Little among the top offensive tackles who have taken top-30 draft visits to the #Packers. The 6-5, 305-pound underclassmen joins Alabama's Jonah Williams and Wash. St's Andre Dillard as tackles the Packers have hosted.

pbmax
04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Demovsky opining on the Packers not taking a WR in the first. http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/47049/receiver-not-sure-thing-for-packers-in-first-round

But indications are that defensive tackle and offensive tackle are the priorities heading into this draft, along with safety and tight end. That’s even after Gutekunst signed three key defensive free agents (edge pass-rushers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith plus safety Adrian Amos) and offensive lineman Billy Turner, a possible starter at right guard or right tackle.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Don't ever give up on your dreams

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F_-Vo_nsaVrU%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1

Word.

pbmax
04-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
#Packers met with Missouri RB Damarea Crockett earlier this week. Not exactly sure if it was an official visit to GB or just a workout. Potential UDFA RB option.

red
04-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
#Packers met with Missouri RB Damarea Crockett earlier this week. Not exactly sure if it was an official visit to GB or just a workout. Potential UDFA RB option.

i really hope w're not going down this same TT path

bring in a ton of undrafted free agent guys for workouts, and only a few actual draftable guys. then land a couple undrafted guys that can contribute and everyone calls you a genius, while you go ahead and miss on all your picks

mraynrand
04-17-2019, 04:48 PM
i really hope w're not going down this same TT path

bring in a ton of undrafted free agent guys for workouts, and only a few actual draftable guys. then land a couple undrafted guys that can contribute and everyone calls you a genius, while you go ahead and miss on all your picks

Red, why are you so optimistic this year? Last year, you'd be saying the rookie FAs would fail as well. Glad to see you in better spirits.

wist43
04-17-2019, 06:31 PM

You're not educated, you're indoctrinated.

Lose the Marxist chip on your shoulder, and you just might score a good job and a hot wife ;)

wist43
04-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Been hearing a lot of buzz that the Bucs love White - don't think he makes it to us at 12.

Don't like Bush at 12... not 30 either. Still don't see him as being appreciably better than Martinez.

At 12 it's looking like Burns or one of the OT's - Taylor is my #1 OT. Would be very happy with either of them.

30 and 44, pick 2...

Risner, Fant, Simmons, Little, Thornhill, Harry, M.Brown, Adderley, Savage, Lindstrom, DeAndre Walker (health), Ferguson, Gardner-Johnson.

There are plenty off good options in that 30-44 range.

Fritz
04-18-2019, 09:27 AM
If the big names we like (Oliver, White) that we thought might be there at #12 are the same the Packers like, and if they're gone, I wonder if this becomes a trade-down scenario, especially if there's still a quarterback on the board like that Duke kid, the Ohio State guy, or whomever the quarterback du jour is. The teams right behind the Packers, the Dolphins at #13 and the Redskins at #15, perhaps could get into a bidding war...I wonder what the Pack could get.

jklowan
04-18-2019, 10:40 AM
No way white is there imho....

I think I'd be happy with this and it seems like these players would be there at our spots and all at need positions...

R1 LB DEVIN BUSH

R1 OT DALTON RISNER

R2 DL DEXTER LAWRENCE

R3 S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON

R4 WR JALEN HURD

R4 RB DARRELL HENDERSON

R5 TE JOSH OLIVER

R6 LB DRUE TRANQUIL

R6 TE CALEB WILSON

R7 OT DERWIN GRAY

Fritz
04-18-2019, 11:25 AM

I think I'd be happy with this and it seems like these players would be there at our spots and all at need positions...

R1 LB DEVIN BUSH

R1 OT DALTON RISNER

R2 DL DEXTER LAWRENCE

R4 WR JALEN HURD

R4 RB DARRELL HENDERSON

R5 TE JOSH OLIVER

R6 LB DRUE TRANQUIL

R6 TE CALEB WILSON

R7 OT DERWIN GRAY

Does anybody know if there's been any news or any buzz about Washington looking for a quarterback in this draft? They would seem to be the key to any possible trade-down scenario, should there be a quarterback left at #12 who Miami, Washington, or someone else might decide they covet.

jklowan
04-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Does anybody know if there's been any news or any buzz about Washington looking for a quarterback in this draft? They would seem to be the key to any possible trade-down scenario, should there be a quarterback left at #12 who Miami, Washington, or someone else might decide they covet.

Only that they were in on the Rosen trade dealio with Arizona as they were not reported to be high on any of the QB's in this draft...could just be smokescreen stuff

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2019, 12:18 PM
I think Taylor needs to get stronger in his lower half. He was susceptible to inside bull rushes where he gave up a lot of ground. He also allows edge rushers to get to deep before contact. I wish he was a more natural knee bender, but I think he was pretty good feet.

jklowan
04-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Darius Slayton outta Auburn is a wr that seems to be falling, has all the skills GB seems to covet, might be a late round steal

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Darius Slayton outta Auburn is a wr that seems to be falling, has all the skills GB seems to covet, might be a late round steal

I think when you look at a guy like Slayton and wonder why he isn't talked about more often, you realize how deep this receiver class truly is.

wthigoot
04-19-2019, 12:20 AM

R1 LB DEVIN BUSH

R1 OT DALTON RISNER

R2 DL DEXTER LAWRENCE

R4 WR JALEN HURD

R4 RB DARRELL HENDERSON

R5 TE JOSH OLIVER

R6 LB DRUE TRANQUIL

R6 TE CALEB WILSON

R7 OT DERWIN GRAY

Well here is my first guess; but I haven't guessed a Packers pick correctly yet.

1 12 Andre Dillard OT Washington State
1 30 Greedy Williams CB LSU
2 44 Nasir Adderly S Delaware
3 76 Joe Jackson DE Miami (Fla)
4 111 Bryce Love RB Stanford
4 114 Jace Sternberger TE Texas A&M
5 150 Ben Banogu OLB TCU
6 188 Anthony Nelson DE Iowa
6 201 Khalil Hodge ILB Buffalo
7 227 Ross Piersbacher C Alabama

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2019, 02:49 AM
Well here is my first guess; but I haven't guessed a Packers pick correctly yet.

5 150 Ben Banogu OLB TCU

In my 2009 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft, i had Todd taking the Claymaker in the 2nd round. Didn’t anticipate Todd trading up, but the Claymaker was the 2nd guy the Packers picked, as I argued.

Brian Cushing should’ve been drafted instead of Raji.

If the German Shepherd drafts fat guys (offensive linemen, defense linemen) in the 1st round, I swear I will boycott the Packers.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2019, 02:56 AM
You're not educated, you're indoctrinated.

Lose the Marxist chip on your shoulder, and you just might score a good job and a hot wife ;)

Indoctrinated in the theories, ethics and principles of Marxism. I’ll take that over being a high school dropout closeted Marxist, as Partial says you are, any day. :)

ThunderDan
04-19-2019, 07:10 AM
In my 2009 My Mastery Mockery of a Draft, i had Todd taking the Claymaker in the 2nd round. Didn’t anticipate Todd trading up, but the Claymaker was the 2nd guy the Packers picked, as I argued.

Brian Cushing should’ve been drafted instead of Raji.

If the German Shepherd drafts fat guys (offensive linemen, defense linemen) in the 1st round, I swear I will boycott the Packers.

Can you boycott Packerrats instead?

Fritz
04-19-2019, 08:54 AM

5 150 Ben Banogu OLB TCU

I would be very pleased if the Dillard was available and the Packers took him at #12. No complaints at all. Three games in, when Bulaga suffers his inevitable injury, you'll be able to plug this guy in, and there he will be, barring injury, for the next ten years.

pbmax
04-19-2019, 10:15 AM
I would be very pleased if the Dillard was available and the Packers took him at #12. No complaints at all. Three games in, when Bulaga suffers his inevitable injury, you'll be able to plug this guy in, and there he will be, barring injury, for the next ten years.

I'd love to get a generational pass rusher, but would be OK with 10 year starter at OT.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Can you boycott Packerrats instead?

I will if Eddie Pleasant catches more picks than, say, David Bakhtiari next season. And I’m holding the fucking nut, so I ain’t bluffing.

Picks? #35? Josh Rosen is reading this and he’s lol-ing. McCarthy’s head was on the line, and #35 still Mr. Hyded Rosen’s gimme pick-6.

ThunderDan
04-19-2019, 01:05 PM
EDGE CLELIN FERRELL CLEMSON
TE T.J. HOCKENSON IOWA
S NASIR ADDERLEY DELAWARE
WR KELVIN HARMON NC STATE
RB DEVIN SINGLETARY FLORIDA ATLANTIC
OT CHUMA EDOGA USC
G BEN POWERS OKLAHOMA
LB TYREL DODSON TEXAS A&M
CB JIMMY MORELAND JMU
LB DRE GREENLAW ARK

Fanspeak Draft

Gotarace
04-19-2019, 01:58 PM
Nutz...Thank you for taking the time to make the off season here much more enjoyable. I for one really appreciate all the hard work and effort you put into the draft. I have watched much of the film you posted and about used up the Fanspeak draft simulator you posted on this thread. A tip of the Hat Sir!!!

Sparkey
04-19-2019, 02:57 PM
TDN Mock Draft Machine

This was a BPA draft as I only allowed myself a three player deviation from how the board rated the players. I was going to select Thornhill instead of Adderley, but he was rated 4 players lower when the pick was made and I wanted to stay consistent my bpa decision.

R1 - 12 - Devin Bush Jr., LB - Michigan
-- The type of 3 down player in todays NFL that every team looks for at the position. Can cover rbs out of the backfield and has even lined up in the slot covering the TE in college. Having Martinez at his side is a perfect complement to his abilities and range.

R1 - 30 - Cody Ford, OT - Oklahoma
-- Fant was available at this pick, but the possibilty of having Ford at RT to replace Bulaga in the future was to great to pass up. Has incredible feet and balance for such a large body.

R2 - 44 - Nasir Adderley, S - Delaware
-- Much will be made of Adderely's small school background but you can ignore the chatter. Having started out as a corner before moving to safety, Adderely has the ability to play both single high and play man coverage in the slot. His playmaking at the back paired with Amos will transform a weakness into a strength in Green Bay.

R3 - 75 - Jace Sternberger, TE - Texas A&M
-- There is a lot to like about Sternberger's game: Soft hands, smooth routes, a huge catch radius and his experience being flexed out in different positions in college. Like most young TE, he needs to increase his play strength and improve his blocking which in time could be passable. If he reaches his potential, it will be catching the football.

R4 - 114 - Justice Hill, RB - Oklahoma State
-- Runs with exceptional balance and has smooth change of direction skills. Will start out as a change of pace player who has the ability to run and catch out of the backfield with the upside of a focal point of a rushing attack. Ideally suited for a zone-heavy running scheme.

R4 - 118 - Trysten Hill, IDL - UCF
-- Quickness and power are clear strengths on tape but lack of discipline and inconsistent technique show on film. Has the ability to be a disrupter on the field. His motor will never be questioned but his lack of awareness as plays develop will prevent him from being anything more than a rotational piece.

R5 - 150 - Demarkus Lodge, WR - Ole Miss
-- Very fluid in his movements and has the ability to snap off his routes but too often rounds them off. Needs to be better at catching balls out away from his body and he tends to short arm catches. Hands are a question at times. Watch his film and you wonder from play to play if he is the same guy as he makes a great catch on a tough throw and then drops an easy ball.

Writeups are a combination of some film tape, reading other takes and summarizing thoughts. I can't imagine doing this full time as it takes a lot of time and energy to watch film clips for only the players above. To think doing this for hundreds of players. :whaa:

wist43
04-19-2019, 07:21 PM
Hate Bush at 12, and like Thornhill over Adderley - although I do like Adderley.

Warming up to Tillery... PFF is very high on him, and saw him to us in a couple of mocks at 12. That prompted me to look closer at him.

Bretsky
04-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Hate Bush at 12, and like Thornhill over Adderley - although I do like Adderley.

Warming up to Tillery... PFF is very high on him, and saw him to us in a couple of mocks at 12. That prompted me to look closer at him.

I'd take Bush in GB without hesitation but not at pick 12

To me he's clearly the second best ILB and a tier above the rest.

Would LOVE to see Oliver at 12 an Devin Bush at 30

Bretsky
04-19-2019, 08:03 PM
On the other hand I too just don't think GB cares about ILB's

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 08:39 PM
TDN Mock Draft Machine

This was a BPA draft as I only allowed myself a three player deviation from how the board rated the players. I was going to select Thornhill instead of Adderley, but he was rated 4 players lower when the pick was made and I wanted to stay consistent my bpa decision.

-- The type of 3 down player in todays NFL that every team looks for at the position. Can cover rbs out of the backfield and has even lined up in the slot covering the TE in college. Having Martinez at his side is a perfect complement to his abilities and range.

-- Fant was available at this pick, but the possibilty of having Ford at RT to replace Bulaga in the future was to great to pass up. Has incredible feet and balance for such a large body.

-- Much will be made of Adderely's small school background but you can ignore the chatter. Having started out as a corner before moving to safety, Adderely has the ability to play both single high and play man coverage in the slot. His playmaking at the back paired with Amos will transform a weakness into a strength in Green Bay.

-- There is a lot to like about Sternberger's game: Soft hands, smooth routes, a huge catch radius and his experience being flexed out in different positions in college. Like most young TE, he needs to increase his play strength and improve his blocking which in time could be passable. If he reaches his potential, it will be catching the football.

-- Runs with exceptional balance and has smooth change of direction skills. Will start out as a change of pace player who has the ability to run and catch out of the backfield with the upside of a focal point of a rushing attack. Ideally suited for a zone-heavy running scheme.

-- Quickness and power are clear strengths on tape but lack of discipline and inconsistent technique show on film. Has the ability to be a disrupter on the field. His motor will never be questioned but his lack of awareness as plays develop will prevent him from being anything more than a rotational piece.

-- Very fluid in his movements and has the ability to snap off his routes but too often rounds them off. Needs to be better at catching balls out away from his body and he tends to short arm catches. Hands are a question at times. Watch his film and you wonder from play to play if he is the same guy as he makes a great catch on a tough throw and then drops an easy ball.

Writeups are a combination of some film tape, reading other takes and summarizing thoughts. I can't imagine doing this full time as it takes a lot of time and energy to watch film clips for only the players above. To think doing this for hundreds of players. :whaa:

This Mock makes sense. I'm having
some difficulty in my thinking we need a certain addition and weapon at Receiver (TE or WR or both...early).

Alternatively AARON RODGERS NEEDS STRENGTH ON THE OL.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2019, 09:01 PM
TDN Mock Draft Machine

I like this mock draft also. I'd rather get Devin White, but Bush is the next best thing. The smart way to go is drafting for need. It would take one helluva bargain BPA to override that. The rest of it is pretty much on track too although I STILL want a Kicker in the mid to late rounds.

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 09:15 PM
I like this mock draft also. I'd rather get Devin White, but Bush is the next best thing. The smart way to go is drafting for need. It would take one helluva bargain BPA to override that. The rest of it is pretty much on track too although I STILL want a Kicker in the mid to late rounds.

We have need at OL and on the right side.

We need a Real No. 2 WR. Unless Graham bounces back where is Red Zone offense and The TE Position?

We need a solid Free Safety.

An improvement on the Pass Rush is always a bonus. It's given the history not coming from ILB.

Take a simple look at what's there after pick NO. 11 AND GO WITH THE VERY BEST PROSPECT TO BE AN IMPACTFUL STARTER...ROLL THE DICE !

wist43
04-19-2019, 09:29 PM

I made this point before - we have "need" everywhere, just no glaring needs. So from that perspective, BPA wouldn't be out of line at any position.

That said - no way to Hockenson, Metcalf, or Bush at 12.

If White, Burns, and Taylor are gone - I'm fine with Dillard, Jonah Williams, or Oliver at 12.

I think the keys to this draft are picks 30 and 44.

If you go Taylor or Dillard at 12, that likely moves you on from guys like Risner and Lindstrom at 30/44. Same thing with Oliver or Tillery at 12... no Jeffrey Simmons.

One position I think we address at 30/44 is Safety. I like Thornhill, Adderley, and Savage. Don't like Rapp as much. Ditto Abram.

RashanGary
04-19-2019, 09:32 PM
I just watched some hockenson tape. Dude is a star. Fluid, smart, natural at everything, blocks. He’s worth #12. Would change our offense.

Bretsky
04-19-2019, 09:35 PM
I just watched some hockenson tape. Dude is a star. Fluid, smart, natural at everything, blocks. He’s worth #12. Would change our offense.

I love Hockenson

But not at 12

If I want him I'd trade down five to seven slots and I think he'd be there

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 09:52 PM
I made this point before - we have "need" everywhere, just no glaring needs. So from that perspective, BPA wouldn't be out of line at any position.

That said - no way to Hockenson, Metcalf, or Bush at 12.

If White, Burns, and Taylor are gone - I'm fine with Dillard, Jonah Williams, or Oliver at 12.

I think the keys to this draft are picks 30 and 44.

If you go Taylor or Dillard at 12, that likely moves you on from guys like Risner and Lindstrom at 30/44. Same thing with Oliver or Tillery at 12... no Jeffrey Simmons.

One position I think we address at 30/44 is Safety. I like Thornhill, Adderley, and Savage. Don't like Rapp as much. Ditto Abram.

I have at Safety:

1. Juan Thornhill 2. Darnell Savage 3. Nasir Adderly 4. Chauncey Gardner 4. ...maybe later look at Evan Worthington - Colorado . . . my notes: Worthington is versatile on 'D' and this has to be an exaggeration but for what it's worth " plays all over the field ".

Oliver goes before our NO. 12 PICK.

Is anyone looking at OT Olisaemeka Udoh , Elon as a RT Prospect? Or TE Andrew Beck in later Rounds and good value?

How about EDGE Ronheen Bingham - Arkansas State and he is 6 ft 2 inches and weighs 243lbs. SIZE!?

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 10:06 PM

Aaron will stall without targets he trusts. The Packers need to address that likelihood or turn him into another Gunslinger.

mraynrand
04-19-2019, 10:25 PM
Aaron will stall without targets he trusts. The Packers need to address that likelihood or turn him into another Gunslinger.

Whatever do you mean by this? According to many reports and analyses, gunslinging is exactly what Rodgers has been doing for several years.

woodbuck27
04-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Whatever do you mean by this? According to many reports and analyses, gunslinging is exactly what Rodgers has been doing for several years.

Hey, I reached the point where I realized your level of being was impossible to inform or popularly where I come from...school.

bobblehead
04-20-2019, 01:04 AM
I'd take Bush in GB without hesitation but not at pick 12

To me he's clearly the second best ILB and a tier above the rest.

Would LOVE to see Oliver at 12 an Devin Bush at 30

Why is it that you think White is better than Bush? 1" of height? .02 in the 40? Agility is similar. Think bush jumped higher.

SMBASS
04-20-2019, 09:32 AM
I'm biased because I watch a fair amount of Iowa football but I knew Hockenson was going to be a stud a couple of years ago when he started getting more playing time. You could immediately tell that he has a high football I.Q. and he always knew how to find the soft spots in the D and get open. I used to argue on an Iowa board that I'd take him over Fant any day because of his complete game. I think Fant is going to be a good player too but Hockenson just seemed to have, "it" from the start.

Nobody wants to take a TE early but then we complain because these others teams have great TE's and we have crap at the position. So what if it takes a year or so for them to develop. Kittle broke out in only his 2nd year in the league and he actually had a fairly productive rookie season. Of course if we could find a Kittle clone in the 5th rd. like SF did instead of a DickRod type player in the 3rd rd. I'd be okay with that! If you have a chance to have a Jason Whitten type TE for the next 10+ years I say the short wait is worth it.

Joemailman
04-20-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm biased because I watch a fair amount of Iowa football but I knew Hockenson was going to be a stud a couple of years ago when he started getting more playing time. You could immediately tell that he has a high football I.Q. and he always knew how to find the soft spots in the D and get open. I used to argue on an Iowa board that I'd take him over Fant any day because of his complete game. I think Fant is going to be a good player too but Hockenson just seemed to have, "it" from the start.

Nobody wants to take a TE early but then we complain because these others teams have great TE's and we have crap at the position. So what if it takes a year or so for them to develop. Kittle broke out in only his 2nd year in the league and he actually had a fairly productive rookie season. Of course if we could find a Kittle clone in the 5th rd. like SF did instead of a DickRod type player in the 3rd rd. I'd be okay with that! If you have a chance to have a Jason Whitten type TE for the next 10+ years I say the short wait is worth it.

Taking a TE as early as 12 doesn't pay off, and it certainly isn't necessary. Just look at the draft positions of the top TE's from last year:

Zach Ertz - Philadelphia (35)
Travis Kelce - Kansas City (63)
George Kittle - San Francisco (146)
Austin Hooper - Atlanta (81)
Jared Cook - Oakland (89)
Eric Ebron - Indianapolis (10)
Rob Gronkowski - New England (42)
Kyle Rudolph - Minnesota (43)
David Njoku - Cleveland (29)
Jimmy Graham - Green Bay (95)
Trey Burton - Chicago (Undrafted)

By the way, Jason Witten was drafted 69th. These numbers would show that if you want to draft a top TE, you probably need to do in the 1st 3 rounds, but not at #12. As for DickRod, most had him rated as a 6th round prospect. The fact that TT made a big mistake there doesn't mean you can't get a top player in the 3rd round.

I know some have argued that Gronk would have been drafted earlier if not for his injury history. I suppose if you're absolutely convinced that a player is the next Gronk, you take him at #12. But the odds of that happening are slim. Gronk was a generational player.

Bretsky
04-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Why is it that you think White is better than Bush? 1" of height? .02 in the 40? Agility is similar. Think bush jumped higher.

Initially when I made the post I didn't mean to note a huge difference between 1 and 2.
Some do not like Bush in here and my point was he's clearly in the top tier with White and a margin above the #3 prospect

Bretsky
04-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Bobble, your post did inspire me to go back and watch more film of both. And my opinion of Bush went up.

I still like White slightly better and think he was a little better in college and with good coaching to give him the mental edge as well he steps right in to start and sees many Pro Bowls.

But Bush has elite ability at ILB as well that we as Packer fans never get to see in Green n Gold

I probably prefer Oliver over both, but I'd be content with Bush at 12 if he is gone

I'd love to have an elite guy in the middle and Bush is NOT making it to 30

SMBASS
04-20-2019, 11:23 AM
I understand what you're saying Joe, but I'll bet I could take any position and put together a list of early round busts and later round successes and claim the same thing that it doesn't pay to take a specific position early. For example:

Linebackers:

A.J. Hawk: 5th overall pick
Trev Alberts: 5th overall pick
Tom Cousineau: 1st overall pick
Huey Richardson: 15th overall pick
Quentin Coryatt: 2nd overall pick
Aundray Bruce: 1st overall pick
Aaron Curry: 4th overall pick
Brian Bosworth: 1st overall pick

On and on.....

Studs
Adalius Thomas: Rd. 6
Seth Joyner: Rd. 8
Zach Thomas: Rd. 5
Harry Carson: Rd. 4
Sam Mills: UDFA
James Harrison: UDFA

Based on this information do we conclude that you should never take a linebacker early because it doesn't pay off and there are great players to be picked later? It's always a bit of a crapshoot so I say you grab good football players who can contribute and make your team better whenever you think you can no matter what their position. If there are so many good TE's available to be taken after let's say the 60th pick why can't we seem to find one? I admit that there have been a lot of TE's taken early who ended up not being worth the pick and our taking Bubba Franks with the 14th pick was a complete waste.

There are several players other than TE I'd be perfectly happy with at the 12th pick but I sure wouldn't be disappointed if we chose Hockenson.

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 11:35 AM
^^^ I think based on that it's really important to have successful picks. This nugget of extreme wisdom is free of charge.

SMBASS
04-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Lol mraynrand! I think you've hit on the elusive key to having a successful draft. Mighty benevolent of you to openly distribute that type of wisdom without any expectation of compensation! Just get a dart board out, put a bunch of names on it, and start chucking!

RashanGary
04-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Taking a TE as early as 12 doesn't pay off, and it certainly isn't necessary. Just look at the draft positions of the top TE's from last year:

Zach Ertz - Philadelphia (35)
Travis Kelce - Kansas City (63)
George Kittle - San Francisco (146)
Austin Hooper - Atlanta (81)
Jared Cook - Oakland (89)
Eric Ebron - Indianapolis (10)
Rob Gronkowski - New England (42)
Kyle Rudolph - Minnesota (43)
David Njoku - Cleveland (29)
Jimmy Graham - Green Bay (95)
Trey Burton - Chicago (Undrafted)

Past has nothing to do with right now. Hockenson is a difference maker. Whatever TEs before him did doesn’t matter. All that’s gonna matter is what he does. And IMO he’s worth the 12th pick, especially for our team the way it’s put together right now.

pbmax
04-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Its the Reverse Gunslinger, technically.

pbmax
04-20-2019, 05:10 PM
Why is Tom Cousineau listed as a bust?

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Lol mraynrand! I think you've hit on the elusive key to having a successful draft. Mighty benevolent of you to openly distribute that type of wisdom without any expectation of compensation! Just get a dart board out, put a bunch of names on it, and start chucking!

I would have drafted Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Randy Moss and passed on Tony Mandarich. But only in retrospect. I call it the "Infallible Woodbuck Hindsight Draft Technique"

red
04-20-2019, 05:38 PM
why are we being linked by so many places to a QB in the first round?

we are years away from being able to move on from a-rod, thanks to that idiot deal we just gave him because we were "disrespecting him", by him not being the highest paid QB (which he isn't again)

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 05:43 PM
why are we being linked by so many places to a QB in the first round?

we are years away from being able to move on from a-rod, thanks to that idiot deal we just gave him because we were "disrespecting him", by him not being the highest paid QB (which he isn't again)

This team needs another QB. Developing a higher draft pick at this point makes sense. Not sure who would be worth it, but you never knows who falls to you! :)

red
04-20-2019, 05:51 PM
This team needs another QB. Developing a higher draft pick at this point makes sense. Not sure who would be worth it, but you never knows who falls to you! :)

by the time we need another QB, we're gonna have to pay that guy starter money, without ever starting

if we see a guy the team really likes in any other round to to be the backup, and one day become a starter, then fine, but don't waste one of the first rounders please

maybe we should go back to the old days where we draft a QB almost every year in the mid to late rounds

when was the last time we actually drafted a QB?

i looked it up,
2015 with hundley in the 5th
2012 in the 7th with bj coleman

then 2008 with brohm in the 2nd and flynn in the 7th

is our starting QB's ego that fragile where we can't even draft a backup?

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2019, 09:13 PM
I think their are under performers at every position that you could make a list of, and make the claim not to draft the position early in the draft.

If I had to choose between Bush and White, I would choose Bush

red
04-20-2019, 09:40 PM
bushs size scares me. he looks like a midget on the field

but i guess he's only an inch shorter then white

he just somehow looks a lot smaller to me

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2019, 10:01 PM
Bush plays better down hill. He will shoot gaps and seems to play a little more aggressively.

I still say I wouldn't draft either one of them at 12.

call_me_ishmael
04-20-2019, 10:23 PM
I would really like the Packers to explore a move back and then trade up to acquire another one next year like they did last year if my dude the DT isn’t available. Picking at 17 and getting Hockenson would be a tremendous pick up.

Next year is the QB year in round one in my opinion.

Smidgeon
04-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Bush plays better down hill. He will shoot gaps and seems to play a little more aggressively.

I still say I wouldn't draft either one of them at 12.

So who's on your short list of "won't think twice to draft this guy" at 12?

Wait. That's a good thread topic.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Bobble, your post did inspire me to go back and watch more film of both. And my opinion of Bush went up.

I still like White slightly better and think he was a little better in college and with good coaching to give him the mental edge as well he steps right in to start and sees many Pro Bowls.

But Bush has elite ability at ILB as well that we as Packer fans never get to see in Green n Gold

I probably prefer Oliver over both, but I'd be content with Bush at 12 if he is gone

Oliver will not be there at 12. I think my first post I made when the mocks started was that if he was available we would basically have to take him. Pretty sure sweat won't be there either, but you can't be certain with him. Again, mocks are mockable. I even doubt Dillard will be there to be honest. GMs get paid a lot of money to not read mocks and assess talent independently. If the top GMs in this draft let guys like Oliver, Sweat and Dillard slip past 10 then they should be fired. Oliver for sure doesn't slip to us. I doubt the other 2 will, but you never can tell. If 3 desperate teams grab QBs then just Maybe..... A BPA first 11 leaves us with options I'm not thrilled at, but I have accepted we very well might trade down if the opportunity arises.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Past has nothing to do with right now. Hockenson is a difference maker. Whatever TEs before him did doesn’t matter. All that’s gonna matter is what he does. And IMO he’s worth the 12th pick, especially for our team the way it’s put together right now.

That is why I'm warming to the pick. LaFlavor is likely to utilize Hockenson and we don't have anyone like him....since...Ever.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Given when and how he was drafted this would be....strange.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:19 AM

This is what I have been saying since I actually watched both play instead of just reading what others said.

pbmax
04-21-2019, 09:20 AM
by the time we need another QB, we're gonna have to pay that guy starter money, without ever starting

~snip~

then 2008 with brohm in the 2nd and flynn in the 7th

They drafted like they needed one leading up to Rodger's ascendancy. But since then they have all but ignored it. To me, that is evidence that Ted was in win now mode.

pbmax
04-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Mock's are giving a QB to the Packers because of the memory of Rodgers getting drafted that was stirred up by inviting Lock to GB for an interview/workout.

RashanGary
04-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Nutz, thought you’d be interested to know bob McGinns draft preview talked about Ferrell. Some thought he was ok. Others though he was the next Terrell Suggs. So your high opinion of him is not standing alone.

RashanGary
04-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Chris Lindstrom is an OG with elite movement and very good pass pro. Lane Taylor being 30 and a bad fit for zone, it might be nice to get a top tier OG fit at 44.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2019, 08:07 PM
I like a few interior linemen early in this draft

pbmax
04-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Ladies and gentleman, I have found the Packer draft pick after they trade down to 21.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Michigan DT Rashan Gary, one of the draft’s top defensive players, has a shoulder that was flagged, sources say. It’s a labral tear from college, and most believe he can play this season, then possibly have surgery afterward. It will likely have to be managed or harnessed, tho

Smidgeon
04-23-2019, 11:20 AM
PFF posted their final mock draft (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-2019-nfl-mock-draft-5-rounds-1-3).

It's a little different than many of the other mocks out there. But I think I would be okay with this draft if it fell to GB this way:

12. DL Ed Oliver
30. WR Hakeem Butler
44. TE Noah Fant
75. LB Drue Tranquilll

We'd get a TE, a (hopefully) difference maker on the line, and high ceilings in the other two spots.

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2019, 07:32 AM
Day before the Draft

Tytus Howard OT, Alabama ST
Film: Auburn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVBVpVzWLoY

First Take: The kid is a project because of his size. I wasn't really impressed with him. He struggles to keep his body in balance while pass blocking. His feet look heavy on initial contact which limits his mobility, he bends at the waist when run blocking, and because he plays so up right and his core is weak he collapses at the waist and loses his balance forward. Needs to learn to drop his ass and move his feet and use his length.

run pMc
04-24-2019, 08:03 AM
That PFF draft is delusional.
NE takes Will Grier over Noah Fant in R1? LOL

smuggler
04-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Ladies and gentleman, I have found the Packer draft pick after they trade down to 21.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Michigan DT Rashan Gary, one of the draft’s top defensive players, has a shoulder that was flagged, sources say. It’s a labral tear from college, and most believe he can play this season, then possibly have surgery afterward. It will likely have to be managed or harnessed, tho

I would be so pissed.

Fritz
04-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Me, too, Smuggler. If Gary is damaged goods already, that does not bode well. And frankly, for all the hype when he came out of high school, he really was not an all-world player at Michigan. He was . . . solid, at best. I don't think I'd draft him, at all. I'd draft Winovich from Michigan before I drafted Gary.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 03:05 PM
I wish I could short Washington Redskin stock.

Greg Gabriel @greggabe
Reports that Washington is looking to get into Top 5 are 100% accurate. From what I have been told the QB they want is Daniel Jones

Actually, maybe both Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder stock.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Lions tell Devin Bush he would be MLB.

https://t.co/vkVWLIYm93

Joemailman
04-24-2019, 04:24 PM
I wish I could short Washington Redskin stock.

Greg Gabriel @greggabe
Reports that Washington is looking to get into Top 5 are 100% accurate. From what I have been told the QB they want is Daniel Jones

Actually, maybe both Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder stock.

So... they're convinced Giants at 6 will take Jones?

RashanGary
04-24-2019, 04:54 PM
Day before the Draft

First Take: The kid is a project because of his size. I wasn't really impressed with him. He struggles to keep his body in balance while pass blocking. His feet look heavy on initial contact which limits his mobility, he bends at the waist when run blocking, and because he plays so up right and his core is weak he collapses at the waist and loses his balance forward. Needs to learn to drop his ass and move his feet and use his length.

Just making sure you’re looking at the RT not the left. I watched that game and saw him miss one assignment and otherwise play an amazing game. Technique needs polish coming from a less than stellar program. But I still saw what looks to me a good player going against auburn.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 04:55 PM
So... they're convinced Giants at 6 will take Jones?

Who knows? Its probably even stupider than that.

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen
Just talked to a Redskins source who told me Dan Snyder has "taken over the first round of the draft."
The last time that happened the Redskins traded two future No. 1's and a No. 2 to move up for Robert Griffin.

Cannot wait for draft night.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 05:04 PM
When Art Modell got tired of failing to get WR talent after Reggie Rucker retired, he hijacked the draft process too. Art could have a quick hook, but the real problem was that the replacement was rarely better than the guy kicked to the curb.

However, in 1986 he got Webster Slaughter after consulting with all his ex-skill position players (Warfield, Calvin Hill maybe even Ozzie Newsome). He got him at least a round earlier than he had to, but he got him.

RashanGary
04-24-2019, 05:08 PM
I watched some Daniel jones. I was impressed. Looked like an NFL QB. Good release, big arm, could throw under pressure, off balance, good athlete. I wouldn’t be surprised if teams are moving up

pbmax
04-24-2019, 05:49 PM
I watched some Daniel jones. I was impressed. Looked like an NFL QB. Good release, big arm, could throw under pressure, off balance, good athlete. I wouldn’t be surprised if teams are moving up

And I hope there are 4 QBs taken before the 12th pick. Keep 'em coming.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Paul Alexander @CoachPaulAlex
ANDRE DILLARD has ideal physical and athletic traits. Prototypical NFL LT. Was well coached in pass pro this year by @CoachMiller_ Needs some more experience run blocking but sky is the limit. Full disclosure: I worked with him this offseason too. Great kid. Wants it.

bobblehead
04-24-2019, 06:28 PM

I just want everyone to be a fan when we make the pick :)

bobblehead
04-24-2019, 06:34 PM
Who knows? Its probably even stupider than that.

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen
Just talked to a Redskins source who told me Dan Snyder has "taken over the first round of the draft."
The last time that happened the Redskins traded two future No. 1's and a No. 2 to move up for Robert Griffin.

Cannot wait for draft night.

God I hope the QB they want is there at 12.

Bretsky
04-24-2019, 09:49 PM
God I hope the QB they want is there at 12.

I hope Gootie is working the phones tonight. I'd be calling Miami and Washington at 13 and 15 and letting them know the pick is for sale to all. That 12 pick is a nice spot to trade back 3-5 slots and pick up a high 3rd or 2nd.

With that being said, it's being reported by many that the Skins are trying to jump in front of the Giants and get Haskins

MANY are also expecting 3 QB's being taken before GB ; That would be GREAT

Joemailman
04-24-2019, 11:20 PM
I hope Gootie is working the phones tonight. I'd be calling Miami and Washington at 13 and 15 and letting them know the pick is for sale to all. That 12 pick is a nice spot to trade back 3-5 slots and pick up a high 3rd or 2nd.

With that being said, it's being reported by many that the Skins are trying to jump in front of the Giants and get Haskins

Or even 4. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-redskins-leap-into-top-five-for-dwayne-haskins-patriots-trade-up-for-tight-end/

If that happens, Gutey tries to trade down, if he can find a trading partner.

Bretsky
04-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Or even 4. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-redskins-leap-into-top-five-for-dwayne-haskins-patriots-trade-up-for-tight-end/

If that happens, Gutey tries to trade down, if he can find a trading partner.

LIKE THIS DRAFT

I want some Bush; but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they took him over Dillard or J Williams

Seems like Devin White is gone for sure. Oliver too. If either are there at 12 we need to draft them IMO.

And most mocks are now predicting 3 QB's selected before us and maybe 4.

IF that occurs we'll be sitting with a choice of one or both of the top tier ILB's ore OT's.

With the right picks I think our defense can be shitkickers and our offense will be ok due to the elite QB. If both Bush and White are gone I'd prefer Burns or a trade down

Joemailman
04-24-2019, 11:38 PM
LIKE THIS DRAFT

I want some Bush; but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they took him over Dillard or J Williams

Seems like Devin White is gone for sure. Oliver too. If either are there at 12 we need to draft them IMO.

And most mocks are now predicting 3 QB's selected before us and maybe 4.

IF that occurs we'll be sitting with a choice of one or both of the top tier ILB's ore OT's.

With the right picks I think our defense can be shitkickers and our offense will be ok due to the elite QB. If both Bush and White are gone I'd prefer Burns or a trade down

If either Oliver or White are there at 12, I think you make the pick. Otherwise, I'm in favor of trading down a bit.

RashanGary
04-25-2019, 01:37 AM
I just watched some Jaylon Ferguson. Dude is an absolute beast. Rushes with speed and power. Just a beast pass rusher. Might be as good of a rusher as the top two.

I also watched the full Alabama game with Jeffry Simmons. Another beast. I’d be so excited to get Simmons and Ferguson. Our front 7 would be looking so bad ass!!!!

Come on Gutey, let’s turn this thing around and build a championship defense!

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Ferguson Struggled at Senior Bowl practice and although he has good size his combine numbers were a bit disappointing. I am not sold on him before the second round, I would probably pass on him in the second as well.

Fritz
04-25-2019, 11:48 AM

Bretsky, this is right up there with my Drew Barrymore fantasy: Haskins slips and slips, and is sitting there at #12. Lock, Murray, and maybe even Jones are gone. Turns out Snyder has taken back the game controller, and he wants Haskins, bad. He makes an offer to the Pack, but Miami is drooling over Haskins, too, so they offer up something. Then Dan Snyder pulls a . . . Dan Snyder, and makes a ridiculous offer. The Dolphins, equally desperate, up the ante, and the Packers end up moving back only one spot but in return they get some ridiculous pick, like an extra #2 or Miami's #1 next year.

Oh, and then Drew Barrymore calls me up out of nowhere and tells me to meet her at a local hotel for some hot romance. On the way to the hotel, I stop and buy a bottle of wine and a lottery ticket, and I win four million dollars on the lottery ticket.

RashanGary
04-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Cody Barton is an ILB that I could see us drafting. Just strong enough and solid enough as a tackler to be good. Sorts through traffic and makes a lot of tackles. Specializes in pass defense, and zone coverage. Tested elite in 3 cone and had positional best short shuttle. 4.64 40 with 33” vert.

The short write up would be decent run defender and tackler, specializing in pass coverage. Upper enchelon athlete.

Blake Matinez is just good enough at pass defense and specializes in run defense. Barton is just good enough at run defense and specializes in pass defense. They’d be complimentary pieces. I see Barton as a perfect Packer fit.

RashanGary
04-25-2019, 02:00 PM
This is from bobmcginnfootball.com

https://bobmcginnfootball.com/linebackers-if-you-cant-run-you-cant-play/

6. CODY BARTON, Utah (6-2 ½, 237, 4.60, 2-3): Started 23 of 50 games. “Little bit of a wild horse rider,” said one scout. “Not a bad kid. Will knock the (bleep) out of you. Super fast. Big-time downhill player.” Described by one scout as a classic overachiever. “Man, that (bleep) is a football player,” said another scout. Finished with 235 tackles (24 ½ for loss), nine sacks and five takeaways. “He’s all over the field,” said a third scout. “A really strong, aggressive guy at the point of attack and a really consistent finisher. He’s really good in coverage and a good pass rusher. He does everything pretty well. Nothing excellent.” Recorded the fastest LB clocking in the short shuttle (4.03). Wonderlic of 27. From Salt Lake City, Utah.

bobblehead
04-25-2019, 02:22 PM
This is from bobmcginnfootball.com

https://bobmcginnfootball.com/linebackers-if-you-cant-run-you-cant-play/

6. CODY BARTON, Utah (6-2 ½, 237, 4.60, 2-3): Started 23 of 50 games. “Little bit of a wild horse rider,” said one scout. “Not a bad kid. Will knock the (bleep) out of you. Super fast. Big-time downhill player.” Described by one scout as a classic overachiever. “Man, that (bleep) is a football player,” said another scout. Finished with 235 tackles (24 ½ for loss), nine sacks and five takeaways. “He’s all over the field,” said a third scout. “A really strong, aggressive guy at the point of attack and a really consistent finisher. He’s really good in coverage and a good pass rusher. He does everything pretty well. Nothing excellent.” Recorded the fastest LB clocking in the short shuttle (4.03). Wonderlic of 27. From Salt Lake City, Utah.

That is an awesome SS for a guy in the middle. I like football players. I like Winovich. I want a bunch of Parcells type hard nosed guys on D.

Joemailman
04-25-2019, 04:33 PM
The Green Bay Packers could be on the move in the second half of the draft’s first round Thursday night.

Insider Adam Schefter reported live on ESPN that the Packers are making calls in an attempt to move up from No. 30 overall.

It’s unclear who the Packers would move up for, although Schefter identified the Packers as a “sleeper team” in the quarterback market.

A reasonable target spot for the Packers could be pick No. 21, which is currently held by the Seattle Seahawks. GM John Schneider only has five total picks and will likely attempt to accumulate more, with a trade down from 21 representing one way to do it..

red
04-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Something to consider

We have only drafted 2 offensive players in the first round in the last 13 drafts

Baluga and sherry

RashanGary
04-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Day before the Draft

He is a RT not a left. Left handed QB. You sure you watched the right guy? I thought he had a hell of a game there against Auburn.

RashanGary
04-25-2019, 05:18 PM
That is an awesome SS for a guy in the middle. I like football players. I like Winovich. I want a bunch of Parcells type hard nosed guys on D.

He’s an ILB tho. Played a hybrid rover role then ILB. He’s an ILB with good run defense and elite pass defense skills. Like I said in my post, he’s kind of a perfect fit next to the guy we’ve got.

RashanGary
04-25-2019, 05:25 PM
Cody Barton and Drue Tranquill are two guys who fit what the packers need. Coverage LB who are good enough against the run. A compliment to Martinez.

CaptainKickass
04-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Obligatory
Draft (Draught)
Day
Post.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/9c/de/f4/filename-beer-taps2-jpg.jpg

SMBASS
04-25-2019, 06:05 PM
I hate this 3 day draft format. I liked it much better when it was held on Sat. & Sun..

red
04-25-2019, 06:21 PM
I hate this 3 day draft format. I liked it much better when it was held on Sat. & Sun..

yuck, no

it was a giant waste of 2 full days

SMBASS
04-25-2019, 06:33 PM
yuck, no

I spent my time doing more productive stuff and only paid attention when the Pack was selecting. Lot's more action packed into the 2 days than this boring dragged out 3 day shit. Especially after all of the talking heads having been yakking about it non-stop for months. This just gives them three more days to spew a bunch of worthless crap. Shut up and the make the picks already.

pbmax
04-25-2019, 09:16 PM
yuck, no

First round on Friday was OK. I prefer 2 days, but Friday night Round 1 sped up the next two days.

bobblehead
04-26-2019, 12:05 AM
He’s an ILB tho. Played a hybrid rover role then ILB. He’s an ILB with good run defense and elite pass defense skills. Like I said in my post, he’s kind of a perfect fit next to the guy we’ve got.

Short Shuttle. It was a fast short shuttle for a MLB

Iron Mike
04-26-2019, 12:34 AM

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Prescient.

RashanGary
04-26-2019, 02:11 AM
Some guys I think fit what the Packers are trying to do

Eric McCoy G/C fits zone. Reliable. Good
Julian Love CB smart. Athletic enough. Makes plays
Cody Barton ILB plus pass defense. Solid run d. Good fit for Martinez
Drue Tranquill ILB same as Barton
Juan Thornhill FS similar to Savage but not as smart
JJ Arcega Whiteside WR Savvy, solid
Dawson Knox TE - plus blocker. Plus athlete. Underutilized
Nate Davis OG - excellent second level blocker. Good zone fit
Jarrett Stidham QB Late round - Gritty, tough, good enough arm
Easton stick QB Late round - gamer
Damien Harris RB 3rd or later - good vision and long speed. Ryan Grant zon type
David Montgomery 3rd or later - zone runner
Ryquel armsted 3rd or later - zone runner
Khleb Saunders - 3rd or later sleeper DT
John Commonsky DE - later round - high upside DL
Anthony Nelson DE - still growing into 6’7” body. High upside

RashanGary
04-26-2019, 02:14 AM
I want one of the good tackling, plus pass defense, fast ILBs to pair next to Martinez. Then all of our defensive holes are filled on paper

I like Anthony Nelson a lot too. He’s solid with really high upside

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 08:34 AM
Something to consider

We have only drafted 2 offensive players in the first round in the last 13 drafts

Baluga and sherry

Conclusion:

1) Packers suck at picking defensive players
2) Packers refuse to surround Favre/Rodgers with the players they need to win
3) No Supe (rBowl) for you!

pbmax
04-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Prescient.

Packers do better when I am wrong.

But now I wonder if the Packers or other interested team leaked that to get him to drop.

SudsMcBucky
04-26-2019, 12:57 PM
I feel like Gary has "bust" written all over him. Therefore, he'll probably end up being 10 time pro-bowler, 5 time all-pro.

Great! Looks like I whammied myself!!!

RashanGary
05-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Going through the players in this years draft, I get a general feel that these guys are good, effective, productive football players and almost all of them have high upside.

Gary’s tape show a beast even if the stat line is off
Savage is instinctive, smart and fast. Just what we need
Jenkins looks like the surest thing of a quality OL pick we’ve had since Bulaga. Safe.
Sternberger looks like a smarter (white) Finley
Keke looks like a tough dude. Looks to be at least solid
Williams looks like s good runner, especially zone

Holman and Summers are sort of the typical weird ass Ted sort of picks.

But I have a feeling this is the best draft class we’ve had in a while! I’m excited to see these guys develop.

Fritz
05-06-2019, 08:42 AM
I like that kid from Toledo. It seems worth a sixth-round flyer for a cornerback with lots of speed and some size, and an apparent willingness to try to tackle.

What the hell. It's the sixth round.

call_me_ishmael
05-27-2019, 01:26 AM
Wait, so if it happened before, then it's precedented. LOL.

Texas A&M has put an obscene amount of money into their program recently, they are really hoping that $ buys titles.

More PEDs at Clemson. It's not surprising in my opinion.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/05/24/clemson-braden-galloway-zach-giella-suspension-appeal-denied

RashanGary
05-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Maxx Crosby DE eastern Michigan is a beast. Explosive af. Reminds me of the way clay used to close.

Sometimes a nigga just knows 🤣