PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Next Coach of the Green Bay Packers

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Bretsky
12-31-2018, 05:26 PM
So far I like Kitchen, Monken and maybe Gase if his history check out and the rumored player bad mouthing is just sour grapes. I would be OK with Munchak IF he gets Kitchen or similar to coach the offense and can be expected to resist the urge to make the Packers the Coughlin Jags.

Every other assistant or retread leaves me cold.

I like a shitload of assistants as hires IF I can pick and choose the OC to bring in. Gotta get rid of the if's.

I'll take Fangio over Munchak; then just bring in Gase for the OC :))

Bretsky
12-31-2018, 05:28 PM
So far I like Kitchen, Monken and maybe Gase if his history check out and the rumored player bad mouthing is just sour grapes. I would be OK with Munchak IF he gets Kitchen or similar to coach the offense and can be expected to resist the urge to make the Packers the Coughlin Jags.

Every other assistant or retread leaves me cold.

That did I miss; who the heck is Kitchen ?

And what about your manlove (to which I bought into) for Lincoln ?

pbmax
12-31-2018, 05:32 PM
That did I miss; who the heck is Kitchen ?

And what about your manlove (to which I bought into) for Lincoln ?

I think I'd be OK with Lincoln as well. Everyone was griping about the Okies in the first half not belonging on the field but then they caught fire in the second half. Ended up acquiring themselves better than LSU or Georgia or Auburn.

Problem is that so far doesn't seem like Packers are looking at college coaches. Even the PatFitz rumor seems lonely.

Freddie Kitchens lit the first as the Browns OC when Baker took off when they fired Hue Jackson.

pbmax
12-31-2018, 05:35 PM
https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/03/report-josh-mcdaniels-showing-interest-in-packers-opening/

Hoodie Jr. looking more and more like the option here. Didn't Brady say that if Rodgers were running the Patriots' offense, he'd throw for 7,000 yards a year? I would definitely be up for giving a shot to McDaniels. Rodgers only has abou 3-4 more years, so why not see if he can light it up in an offense that has been proven to work?

This article is old, December 3rd.

Bretsky
12-31-2018, 05:39 PM
I think I'd be OK with Lincoln as well. Everyone was griping about the Okies in the first half not belonging on the field but then they caught fire in the second half. Ended up acquiring themselves better than LSU or Georgia or Auburn.

Problem is that so far doesn't seem like Packers are looking at college coaches. Even the PatFitz rumor seems lonely.

Freddie Kitchens lit the first as the Browns OC when Baker took off when they fired Hue Jackson.

Does Kitchens have a long pedigree of success beyond his short stint in Cleveland ?

pbmax
12-31-2018, 05:41 PM
From DYoop's link, except filtered for just Packers: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/related/nfl/gb/green-bay-packers

Packers to interview Titans OC Matt LaFleur
The Packers have requested an interview with Titans OC Matt LaFleur.
LaFleur was more disappointment than revelation in Nashville this year -- to be frank -- but he has the requisite pedigree as a disciple of Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. The Packers are trying to replace Mike McCarthy as head coach.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter Dec 31 - 6:02 PM

Dolphins to interview Kris Richard for HC job
The Dolphins requested permission to interview Cowboys DBs coach Kris Richard for their head-coaching vacancy.
Richard has also spent time on USC and the Seahawks' coaching staffs. He is credited with helping Byron Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, and Jeff Heath to take their games to the next level in Dallas. Richard is also drawing interest from the Jets.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Dec 31 - 5:53 PM

INCLUDE THIS ONLY BECAUSE RICHARD LOOKS LIKE A GENIUS AFTER THE BOYS D TURNAROUND. A LOT OF THIS IS A HEALTHY JAYLON SMITH AND ROD MARINELLI. STILL HE IS GETTING A LOT OF CREDIT FOR THE REBOUND

Josh McDaniels - C - Patriots
The Boston Globe's Jim McBride reports the Packers have requested an interview with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels.
Green Bay also wants to interview Patriots de facto DC Brian Flores. Apparently not suffering any ill effects to his reputation after leaving the Colts at the altar last year, McDaniels again looks set to be one of the hottest coaching candidates in what many believe is a down year. It would be surprising if he does not end up with a head coaching job, but the same could have and was said last year.
Source: Jim McBride on Twitter

SO AT LEAST SOMEWHAT OFFICIAL INTEREST. FLORES AND MUNCHAK MENTIONED HERE AS WELL.

mraynrand
12-31-2018, 05:42 PM
IEveryone was griping about the Okies in the first half not belonging on the field but then they caught fire in the second half.

Gosh that reminds me of some team, but I can't quite place it....

pbmax
12-31-2018, 05:42 PM
Gosh that reminds me of some team, but I can't quite place it....

I know. The defense also suddenly improved when down 3 scores as well.

Bretsky
12-31-2018, 05:45 PM
From DYoop's link, except filtered for just Packers: http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/related/nfl/gb/green-bay-packers

Packers to interview Titans OC Matt LaFleur
The Packers have requested an interview with Titans OC Matt LaFleur.
LaFleur was more disappointment than revelation in Nashville this year -- to be frank -- but he has the requisite pedigree as a disciple of Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. The Packers are trying to replace Mike McCarthy as head coach.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter Dec 31 - 6:02 PM

Dolphins to interview Kris Richard for HC job
The Dolphins requested permission to interview Cowboys DBs coach Kris Richard for their head-coaching vacancy.
Richard has also spent time on USC and the Seahawks' coaching staffs. He is credited with helping Byron Jones, Chidobe Awuzie, and Jeff Heath to take their games to the next level in Dallas. Richard is also drawing interest from the Jets.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Dec 31 - 5:53 PM

INCLUDE THIS ONLY BECAUSE RICHARD LOOKS LIKE A GENIUS AFTER THE BOYS D TURNAROUND. A LOT OF THIS IS A HEALTHY JAYLON SMITH AND ROD MARINELLI. STILL HE IS GETTING A LOT OF CREDIT FOR THE REBOUND

Josh McDaniels - C - Patriots
The Boston Globe's Jim McBride reports the Packers have requested an interview with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels.
Green Bay also wants to interview Patriots de facto DC Brian Flores. Apparently not suffering any ill effects to his reputation after leaving the Colts at the altar last year, McDaniels again looks set to be one of the hottest coaching candidates in what many believe is a down year. It would be surprising if he does not end up with a head coaching job, but the same could have and was said last year.
Source: Jim McBride on Twitter

SO AT LEAST SOMEWHAT OFFICIAL INTEREST. FLORES AND MUNCHAK MENTIONED HERE AS WELL.

I like they are interviewing LaFleur
I hope they also interview Bienemy and DePhillipo (I don't give a rats ass that the Queens let him go; how'd that run out anyways..playoffs)

I want to see them interview all of the hot up and comers and hope they interview Taylor from the Rams as well as Hoody Genius Jr, who is still thought of by most circles as the top candidate out there if he can be had

pbmax
12-31-2018, 05:59 PM
Michael Cohen
Plus, LaFleur went to the same college as Jeff Janis. #JanisWasJesusBeforeJake

texaspackerbacker
12-31-2018, 07:48 PM
I don't really like any of these guys or anybody else mentioned a lot, but I at least like McDaniels and maybe Munchak a little bit. I think McDaniels gets the job unless he gets a promise of succession to head coach soon and stays with New England.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
Pat Fitzgerald, who has drawn interest from the Packers, to @joelklatt on the broadcast after the Holiday Bowl win for Northwestern last night: “Hashtag Go Cats, man. This is home. I’m not going anywhere. This is home forever.” #GoCatsMan

Everyone immediately made a reference to Saban stating he was not going to coach the Crimson Tide. I don't want this guy, there is little indication he is up to the job in the NFL.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Gase to interview with Cardinals. Koetter with the Falcons as OC.

Rotoworld Roundup

Pat Fitzgerald - C - Free Agent
Speaking after Monday night's Holiday Bowl victory over Utah, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald said, "I'm not going anywhere."
Many reports had him linked to Green Bay's head coaching vacancy, but Fitzgerald emphatically shot down those rumors on Monday night. "Hashtag Go Cats, man. This is home," said the 44-year-old, who also played his college ball in Evanston. "I’m not going anywhere. This is home forever." The Packers have cast a wide net in their coaching search, showing interest in former Lions and Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, Saints assistant/TEs coach Dan Campbell, Titans OC Matt LaFleur, Patriots DC Brian Flores, Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak and former Colts coach Chuck Pagano, among others.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
The Browns will interview 8-9 candidates in all starting with G. Williams today. Kitchens, Sirriani, Stefanski, Eberflus, D. Campbell. Flores are known candidates. Im told Browns do want to interview Josh McDaniels as well. Green Bay and Browns both would be very appealing jobs

VANCE JOSEPH WOULD ALSO MAKE A GREAT DC IF THEY DON'T RETAIN PETTINE

Mike Tanier https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813311-nfl-black-monday-bad-teams-make-things-worse-from-broncos-to-jets-to-dolphins
Gase was an ineffective coach—an alleged quarterback guru who never guru'd a quarterback who wasn't already Peyton Manning, and who reportedly rubbed both players (via ESPN's Cameron Wolfe (https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1079758354208210944)) and ownership (SiriusXM's Craig Mish (https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1079758541626449922)) the wrong way. And Tannenbaum's reassignment to the mail room will be lamented only by the agents who wrested market-setting contracts from him.

A NO VOTE FOR CASE

Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak is getting some buzz, per NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala (https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1079817909281742848). Munchak is a fine position coach whose game-planning (his 2013 Titans ran Army's 1954 playbook) and team management (see: just about any story emanating from the Steelers locker room this year) don't exactly inspire confidence.

A NO VOTE FOR MUNCHAK

There are some promising up-and-comers on the head-coaching short list, including Cowboys defensive assistant Kris Richard and Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus.

A REMINDER THAT I WANT AN ASSISTANT COACH HIRED THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE

In a year were teams may go to lengths and look in unique directions for a head coach, keep an eye on Chris Jones the coach / GM of Saskatchewan in the CFL. At least two NFL teams have done extensive research on the highly successful coach who has 4 Grey Cup Rings with 4 teams

denverYooper
01-01-2019, 11:09 AM
For those of you on the McDaniels express:

Schedule updates: #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is expected to interview for the #Packers HC opening on Friday, source said. … #Bears DC Vic Fangio is expected to do his interviews (#Broncos, #Dolphins) on Monday, source said.

denverYooper
01-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Not the offense.

If he has the Patriots history of film and institutional knowledge of defenses that he benefitted from, Rodgers throws for 7K.

Junior is not bringing the library or Belichick with him.

Keep up the good fight.

George Cumby
01-01-2019, 11:26 AM
McDaniels. Roflmao.

That’d be a stain on the “Storied Franchise” Brand.

Rutnstrut
01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
McDaniels. Roflmao.

I want to see this team win. I don't give a shit about whether the coaches/players fit some bullshit preconceived notion of "Packer People".

Fosco33
01-01-2019, 12:53 PM
I’d like them to consider Zac taylor - oc la rams. Hoodie Jrs tree hasn’t borne fruit.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 01:05 PM
What was the name of the Continental Divide hiking coach who took a long sabbatical to go Forrest Gump on America's natural trails?

pbmax
01-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Schedule updates: #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is expected to interview for the #Packers HC opening on Friday, source said. … #Bears DC Vic Fangio is expected to do his interviews (#Broncos, #Dolphins) on Monday, source said.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
After interviewing McDaniels, the #Packers will fly to New Orleans for Saturday interview with #Saints AHC/TEs Dan Campbell, who has #Browns on Friday and #Cardinals before weekend's over too. Lot to pack in for candidates on byes, who can interview thru end of wild-card games.

I THOUGHT DAN CAMPBELL WAS THAT ETERNAL BRIDESMAID OC (Pete Carmichael) THAT WORKS WITH PAYTON LIKE SHERM LEWIS DID WITH HOLMGREN. BUT NO, HE IS THE FORMER INTERIM HC FOR THE DOLPHINS WHO OPINED ABOUT TOUGHNESS BEFORE THE TEAM FELL APART AFTER A GLORIOUS TWO GAME WIN STREAK. STRONG NO ON CAMPBELL

pbmax
01-01-2019, 01:39 PM
MIKE SHERMAN ALERT!

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Not that Mike Sherman’s son-in-law, #Rams QBs coach Zac Taylor, isn’t an intriguing candidate, too, but as @PackerReport points out, LaFleur is also a McVay guy but has something Taylor doesn’t: Meaningful coordinator experience, which LaFleur got under Mike Vrabel with #Titans.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-01-2019, 01:45 PM
McDaniels. Roflmao.

An Argument in Favor of Hiring J-Mac

Adam Lambert once said that when folks "run in circle, it's a very, very mad world." Truer words have never been spoken since Lennon spoke the lyrics of "Imagine."

The Packers have been running in a circle of milksopism for far too long. The madness has got to end. Thompson and McCarthy are long due the Louis XVI treatment.

Thompson has not been competent since he used Mike Sherman's 24th overall draft pick to acquire a brush, hubrisitic numen from Cal, by the way of Butte.

If Thompson and the Great Belichick were indicted of insider trading - say, with the aforementioned numen on IR, Belichick agreed to trade Garoppolo to the Pack for a 1st and a 6th; Thompson, in turn, agreed to trade Garoppolo back to the Pats after the season for only a 1st, forgoing the 6th as interest - Belichick would ingeniously find loopholes in the law and walk out of court a free man.

Thompson? He's so incompetent, no judge would deem him competent enough to stand trial.

The truth is out there, and the truth says that Favre and Rodgers both made McCarthy a "highly successful coach," not vice versa. McCarthy's accomplishments without Favre and Rodgers constitute oodles of defeats, as well as making Aaron Brooks a pick-machine, shooting Alex Smith's confidence and sucking with Brett Hundley.

Louis XVIth both Thompson and McCarthy. Hire Josh McDaniels to run the whole shebang, that is, hire him to be both the GM and the coach. McDaniels holds a PhD in Belichickology. The Packers would become the Patriots of the NFC with McDaniels running the shebang.

McDaniels largely failed in Denver because he was, bluntly put, a pompous motherfucker. The Great Belichick wasn't exactly fruitful in his 1st gig, either. If anything, the Denver experience has humbled McDaniels with the humbleness of an awesome working-class hero.

Hire McDaniels and watch the Packers majestically win multiple Super Bowls with, to paraphrase Mumford and Sons, grace in their hearts and flowers in their hairs.

Anti-Polar Bear
01-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Schedule updates: #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is expected to interview for the #Packers HC opening on Friday, source said. …

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero
After interviewing McDaniels, the #Packers will fly to New Orleans for Saturday interview with #Saints AHC/TEs Dan Campbell...

Why bother flying to NO? Marcia should starting typing up J-Mac's contract today and hand it to him on Friday to sign along with a blank check.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Not Lincoln Riley

Oklahoma Football @OU_Football
OU, Riley agree on contract extension. #OUDNA #BoomerSooner

http://bit.ly/riley19

pbmax
01-01-2019, 04:28 PM
This is not going to end well.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Packers still planning Pat Fitzgerald pitch while arranging other coaching interviews http://bit.ly/2LHOXcm #Packers

pbmax
01-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Is JSO actually reporting we have a source on both their schedules and we can report they COULD talk Wednesday?

It’s possible Murphy and Fitzgerald will talk as soon as Wednesday to gauge whether there’s interest to move forward with an interview. Both sides might agree the timing isn’t right.

Well, I am sold. Mike F***ING Kafka.

Fitzgerald would have to come up with some assistant coaches he was certain he could bring with him to Green Bay. One assistant to keep an eye on would be Kansas City Chiefs quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka, who played for Fitzgerald, served as a graduate assistant for him and has been under the tutelage of Chiefs coach Andy Reid the last two seasons.

esoxx
01-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Without the Murphy connection, Fitzgerald wouldn't even be considered.

I fear Murphy is in love with Fitz and may make an offer he can't refuse.

I will then light a torch and head to Lambeau. PB, you bring the pitchforks.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Got it.

I say we burn Murphy in effigy and nominate KYP to be President and CEO.

esoxx
01-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Got it.

I say we burn Murphy in effigy and nominate KYP to be President and CEO.

Works for me.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:29 PM
You think this is really telling you something until you get to the word "could" and you realize its all a dream.

Zachary Jacobson @ZachAJacobson
Spoke to a source close to the #Packers’ organization tonight who told me that Josh McDaniels is currently the one clear-cut leading candidate to be the team’s next head coach and could have a deal in place as early as within the next two weeks.
from December 30, 2018

Mike Chappell @mchappell51
Pretty sure I've seen a tweet like this before. Maybe 10-11 months ago. Had something to do with Indy and McDaniels being not only the clear-cut favorite but having an agreement in place and there was a press conference scheduled and . . . well, we know how that ended.

pbmax
01-01-2019, 09:34 PM
I would cross ol' Jason off your list of people dialed into the Packers.

Jason McIntyre @jasonrmcintyre
31 Dec 2018

Jason McIntyre @jasonrmcintyre
Following up on Adam Gase: He's going to choose between the Browns, Jets & Packers. He'll meet with all three and pick between Baker, Darnold & Rodgers. I give GB slight edge

Rivers McCown @riversmccown
I’m actually not surprised that Gase has all this helium given how well-regarded he seemed to be after 2015.

But putting the offense Gase used in Miami with Aaron Rodgers is like baby proofing the home when your youngest child is 15.

texaspackerbacker
01-01-2019, 10:05 PM
I'll be relieved when Gase signs with somebody else.

Joemailman
01-02-2019, 07:31 AM

Fitz seems pretty steady on staying at Northwestern.

x
Pat Fitzgerald is considered to be a top candidate to land the Green Bay Packers head coaching position. But he does not want to hear any of that. On Monday, the head coach of the Northwestern Wildcats led his team to a 31-20 victory in the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. After the game, Fitzgerald was asked about his future with the program.

“Hashtag Go Cats, man, Fitzgerald said via Wildcats sideline reporter Adam Hoge. "I’m not going anywhere. This is home forever.”

pbmax
01-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Fitz seems pretty steady on staying at Northwestern.

On the scaled of strong and believable denials, Fitzgerald is an amateur.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2705288

So on Thursday, Saban -- who has tried to denounce the story about him potentially going to Alabama numerous times in recent weeks -- again, and adamantly, denied that he's headed back to the college ranks.

"I guess I have to say it," Saban said. "I'm not going to be the Alabama coach."

When the stories linking Alabama and Saban began circulating last month, almost immediately after Shula got fired following a 6-6 season, the former coach at Louisiana State said he was flattered but not interested.

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2019, 08:11 AM
I believe that Fitzgerald isn't leaving NW. He's finally got brand new facilities, his recruiting is only going to get better and he loves being at his alma mater. Add in that he's an Illinoisian (loves everything in that hellhole of a state) and currently is in year 2 of a 10 yr contract, it's all a lot of hubbub over nothing, IMO.

Joemailman
01-02-2019, 08:15 AM
I believe that Fitzgerald isn't leaving NW. He's finally got brand new facilities, his recruiting is only going to get better and he loves being at his alma mater. Add in that he's an Illinoisian (loves everything in that hellhole of a state) and currently is in year 2 of a 10 yr contract, it's all a lot of hubbub over nothing, IMO.

I agree. If Fitz wasn't a previous Murphy hire, I doubt these rumors would even exist.

denverYooper
01-02-2019, 08:26 AM

This is the sane take. JSO has been mining the Murphy/Fitz connection to pump out clickable content. I haven't seen any real information indicating any confirmed action towards making this happen, not even as much as a "sources say".

pbmax
01-02-2019, 08:32 AM
I agree. If Fitz wasn't a previous Murphy hire, I doubt these rumors would even exist.

I thought they were just rumors concocted by deadline enfeebled writers who were reading the wikis for Gutekunst and Murphy too.

But Silverstein, even though the headline does oversell the story, seems to have a reason to believe they want to talk to him.

I still think its likely bunk because whatever Spoon knows he cannot even couch as normal reporter sourcing. There is no quote, source or unnamed source about the Packers determination to interview Fitzgerald, its just stated affirmatively like he promised someone they wouldn't even be mentioned in the story. This story as a prediction opinion piece would not vary at all from its current state. So its impossible to tell who is providing this.

Which makes me think its bad info and probably someone else's conjecture.

pbmax
01-02-2019, 08:33 AM
This is the sane take. JSO has been mining the Murphy/Fitz connection to pump out clickable content. I haven't seen any real information indicating any confirmed action towards making this happen, not even as much as a "sources say".

Exactly. Its weird and I guess there is an editor who needed an article to highlight over New Years.

bobblehead
01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
MIKE SHERMAN ALERT!

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
Not that Mike Sherman’s son-in-law, #Rams QBs coach Zac Taylor, isn’t an intriguing candidate, too, but as @PackerReport points out, LaFleur is also a McVay guy but has something Taylor doesn’t: Meaningful coordinator experience, which LaFleur got under Mike Vrabel with #Titans.

I actually like Sherman as a coach. Not so much as a GM. Taylor might have a lot of wisdom to draw on from Sherman and McVay. Still want to see of a 10 year older McDaniel is ready to do it right this time as coach only.

bobblehead
01-02-2019, 10:46 AM
This is not going to end well.

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Packers still planning Pat Fitzgerald pitch while arranging other coaching interviews http://bit.ly/2LHOXcm #Packers

Not buying it. If he said it BEFORE the game I would take it with a grain of salt, but saying it after the game makes me believe he isn't going anywhere....Thank God!

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Has there ever been a college head coach who tipped his hand and said he is exploring other opportunities? There may even be language in their contracts stipulating how they handle the information given to the press during this time of coaching searches. One big factor would be spooking recruits into decommitting. As a college head coach, why would you ever let on that you are considering another job?

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2019, 11:50 AM
^ You can give an emphatic no or sort of skirt the issue. Fitzgerald (thankfully) gave a very emphatic no. He's not going anywhere, per his own words. And frankly, why would he? Coaching in college is a sweet gig compared to the long hours of the pros. I don't know his family life but he's what, 45, so he statistically has 2 and a half kids or so. No way would I trade the coziest job in the country (for him) to double my earnings but have to double my hours, give up autonomy, etc when I already have all the money I could ever need/want.

What's the difference in quality of life between 4M and being a golden god and having tenure essentially vs 8M, working 2x as much, giving up tenure, working with big egos, etc. If it was 40K to 80K, sure. Maybe even 400K to 800K. But 4M to 8M? At the end of the day it's the same hamburger and his kids are set. Why the hell would you give that up?? Putting myself in his shoes, there is a zero percent chance I would leave Northwestern.

pbmax
01-02-2019, 12:43 PM
This is also known as the Barry Alvarez pay increase negotiation strategy.

see also whatever Brohm brother is the HC at Purdue

pbmax
01-02-2019, 02:07 PM

The Green Bay Packers have requested an interview with Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, Jr. Dan Campbell from that Staff also making the head coaching rounds

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Finally found a clip of Pat Fitzgerald shooting down the rumors. Not as forceful as I would have guessed.

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1079951826961731584

Joemailman
01-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Finally found a clip of Pat Fitzgerald shooting down the rumors. Not as forceful as I would have guessed.

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1079951826961731584

I’m not going anywhere. This is home forever.”

What would you consider forceful? Now, he could be lying. But I don't see any ambiguity here.

Joemailman
01-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky

Interim coach Joe Philbin's official interview is today or tomorrow before the Packers hit the road to talk to candidates Josh McDaniels, Dan Campbell and Matt LaFleur. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41051609-4
9:19 AM - Jan 2, 2019.

pbmax
01-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Joe Banner @JoeBanner13

For those who have been asking. Did an interview today and identified Matt Rhule as my top rated HC candidate. Will be in nfl soon and has all the qualities to be very successful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Rhule

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2019, 03:00 PM
What would you consider forceful? Now, he could be lying. But I don't see any ambiguity here.

I guess I expected it to be in a different setting. I thought it was a post game presser and a more composed answer instead of a post game interview and a shouted proclamation.

That said, it doesn't change my opinion at all. He ain't leaving.

pbmax
01-02-2019, 03:09 PM
We need another Mike candidate.

pbmax
01-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Pete Carmichael is not only not name Mike, he worked under Marty Schottenheimer.

Ooff baboof.

Bretsky
01-02-2019, 07:02 PM
GREG BEDARD …….aka....HOODY GENIUS and HOODY GENIUS JR Beat writer who y'll loved....is coming on to 620WTMJ in about 10 minutes.

As always I will give my sharp, entertaining, summation without bias :)

Joemailman
01-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Packers interviewing Saints AHC/TE coach Dan Campbell on Saturday. He comes with some recommendations:

Left tackle Terron Armstead said Campbell definitely has that "it factor" that helps elevate coaches into top jobs.

"He got it, man. He got it. Everybody here would do whatever for that guy," Armstead said. "Being so relatable, having done it for so long, just has a great connection with the younger players. I've never seen him badmouth anybody, [it's] more talking up to you. Even when they mess up, he's gonna talk up to them. And you just want to play for somebody like that.

"You want to run through a brick wall for him. I would."

Even defensive end Cameron Jordan said he has connected with Campbell, talking to him about how he can combat tight ends who try to chip-block him -- and finding out ways he can talk trash to the Saints' tight ends during training camp.

"He's somebody who played in the NFL, someone who's clearly an alpha -- it's easy to see that," Jordan said of Campbell, who was used mostly as a blocking specialist during his playing career, finishing with a total of 934 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Payton and players have also credited Campbell for being a great teacher -- which is evident in the growth of first-year Saints tight end Dan Arnold, who joined the team in 2017 as an undrafted wide receiver, among others. Campbell also helped tutor guys such as Charles Clay and Dion Sims as young tight ends in Miami.

"He's a fantastic leader. Obviously played a long time in this league. He's everything you want," Payton said. "Extremely dedicated, hardworking. He's exactly how he was as a player. And I tried to hire him a number of times and finally had that opportunity. So, we're fortunate to have him."

Bretsky
01-02-2019, 07:37 PM
GREG BEDARD SUMMATION

BRIAN FLORES- --Likes him long term and think's he's great, but thinks it's a bit early for him

HOODY GENIUS JR- Thinks there is a very slim chance HG2 would be interested in Green Bay's job. Noted HG2 would need a near perfect scenario. Apparently he almost took the 49er job last year though. Last year HG2 wanted to bring a personnel guy along with him from NE and wanted some say/vested interest in personnnell; Bedard said unless him and Gooter have a relationship he doesn't know about he really doesn't think McDaniels will be that interested in coming to GB given the structure. Noted HG2 is probably getting the Patrots job once HG1 steps aside so it will need to be a perfect structure.

They asked Bedard who he really thought was a fit for GB knowing the candidates as well as the structure- his view ….Adam Gase

pbmax
01-03-2019, 12:44 AM
There have been two entirely different reads on Gutekunst and McDaniels flirtation with SF. One read is that they almost were hired together and must have been OK working together.

The other read is that Gute bailed when it looked like the team would name the HC first.

I am on the side of the latter explanation. There is no question Gute wanted the coach to work for him. Question is, does Murphy agree?

Anti-Polar Bear
01-03-2019, 02:22 AM
^ You can give an emphatic no or sort of skirt the issue. Fitzgerald (thankfully) gave a very emphatic no. He's not going anywhere, per his own words. And frankly, why would he? Coaching in college is a sweet gig compared to the long hours of the pros. I don't know his family life but he's what, 45, so he statistically has 2 and a half kids or so. No way would I trade the coziest job in the country (for him) to double my earnings but have to double my hours, give up autonomy, etc when I already have all the money I could ever need/want.

What's the difference in quality of life between 4M and being a golden god and having tenure essentially vs 8M, working 2x as much, giving up tenure, working with big egos, etc. If it was 40K to 80K, sure. Maybe even 400K to 800K. But 4M to 8M? At the end of the day it's the same hamburger and his kids are set. Why the hell would you give that up?? Putting myself in his shoes, there is a zero percent chance I would leave Northwestern.

What would you do in this situation:

Say, you’re a humble college graduate, and thanks to capitalism, you’re making $13,920 annually for company A. Company B is willing to pay you $17,760 annually to do the same shit for them. Company A offers job security as long as the capitalist economy remains bullish. Company B is getting acquired by Company C, so it’s not a given you’ll have a job after the acquisition.

What’s the wise move? Stay or go?

Pugger
01-03-2019, 09:43 AM
www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-head-coach-search-mike-mccarthy-fired/2019/1/2/18165245/packers-head-coach-brian-flores-patriots-nfl-offseason-coaching-rumors

pbmax
01-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Works for me.

Victory!

Multiple NFL teams made inquiries on Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, but agent Bryan Harlan said Fitzgerald said he will not be a candidate for any NFL openings, including the #Packers.

Congratulations to esoxx and I for helping to avoid this developing disaster. Rally, effigy burning and pitchfork demonstration cancelled.

esoxx, can DYoop and I interest you in joining the McDaniels resistance? :D

Joemailman
01-03-2019, 06:16 PM
So the possibilities so far are:

Matt LaFleur
Brian Flores
Josh McDaniels
Dan Campbell
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano
Pete Carmichael
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin

Missing anybody?

ThunderDan
01-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Victory!

Multiple NFL teams made inquiries on Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, but agent Bryan Harlan said Fitzgerald said he will not be a candidate for any NFL openings, including the #Packers.

Congratulations to esoxx and I for helping to avoid this developing disaster. Rally, effigy burning and pitchfork demonstration cancelled.

You can count me in. Also, I want your address for my steak that you owe 3 of us.

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2019, 08:23 PM

Matt LaFleur
Brian Flores
Josh McDaniels
Dan Campbell
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano
Pete Carmichael
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin

Missing anybody?

I just have a hunch the eventual coach isn’t on that list. Unless of course it’s McDs. Anybody else feel like they will end up interviewing more people??

Fosco33
01-03-2019, 10:41 PM
I just have a hunch the eventual coach isn’t on that list. Unless of course it’s McDs. Anybody else feel like they will end up interviewing more people??

I’d still like them to talk to Zac Taylor - he’s interviewing with den, az and cincy. Former Husker QB - now OC for the rams.

And weird connection - his father in law is none other than Mike Sherman...

KYPack
01-03-2019, 10:50 PM
I hope it's somebody we barely know.

Probably be an OC.

Last two D types were Ray Rhodes and Phil Bengston.
Get us a bright young wizard

Vincenzo
01-04-2019, 05:46 AM
http://https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/03/josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-enthusiastically-interested-in-browns-job/

McDaniels interested in Browns job?

Pugger
01-04-2019, 11:48 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots?share=other

esoxx
01-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Victory!

Eh, I just put the torches away so not sure I can get my lather up again so soon. I will say this about McDaniels, we could do worse. Yes he has warts, big warts, but he also has worked closely with the #1 QB of all time for many years. Brady and Rodgers are tight. AR would respect McDaniels based on that I feel and it could be a great pairing. Of course, there's more to running a team than simply being a QB whisperer, but it may be a big task to get him back on track and time is running out.

Hell no to Adam Gase though. I would spark up a torch for that one.

ND72
01-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Matt LaFleur
Brian Flores
Josh McDaniels
Dan Campbell
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano
Pete Carmichael
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin

Missing anybody?

GB Radio this morning had a guest on, but i missed who it was...he said don't be shocked if GB hires Matt LaFleur.

pbmax
01-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Don’t lock that closet esoxx!

Tom Silverstein
#Packers are expected to interview former #Dolphins coach Adam Gase, according to league sources. He has interviewed with the #Cardinals and #Jets. Story to follow shortly.

This is the one guy I am truly divided on. I could see it going way.

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2019, 04:38 PM
What's wrong with Gase? He has shown he can be sort of okay with Miami, which means he will be a contender for multiple super bowls in a half decent organization.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 08:49 AM
What's wrong with Gase? He has shown he can be sort of okay with Miami, which means he will be a contender for multiple super bowls in a half decent organization.

Mini player revolt this year in exit interviews with veterans. Very poor performance at times, especially on defense after blowing up a good (but expensive) unit. He couldn't find a way to use Jarvis Landry and Jay Ajayi and Kenyan Drake effectively. Landry does one thing well, catch short passes. So building an offense around him is tough. But as part of a whole (Cleveland) he can be very valuable. Ajayi and Drake were just malpractice. There could be extenuating circumstances, including a bad GM who made things tough.

The only QB who has excelled with him is Manning and Manning is his own OC.

His rep is pretty high and Miami didn't have a good GM, but there is very shaky recent evidence of him being a good coach. You have to return to Cutler in Chicago and even that was meh.

He would have to blow them away in interviews. He is sort of McCarthy in 2005. Coming off some of his poorest results looking for work.

The Shadow
01-05-2019, 11:45 AM

I'd like him better if he substituted "John Wayne" for "Adam".

esoxx
01-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Lol when is the interview for the ghost of Ted Bundy?

woodbuck27
01-05-2019, 12:43 PM
The guy calling plays offensively for Pack’s opponent this week.

Alternatively, any non black or white coach would do. As someone who supports NFL oddity, i’d like to see, say, an Asian or Turkish head coach for a change. :)

Somehow and 'Turkish Leadership'; I'm reminded of the fate of the Fat and overbearing manipulative Prison Guard in the interersting Movie 'The Midnight Express' BY: Oliver Stone mand starring Brad Davis (1978). That prick gets it just the way kharma so often delivers.

Bad ends badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbaQiK_NGw

and the Theater Audience goes wild ! Bye bye Dick Wad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Express_(film)

http://www.tallarmeniantale.com/MidnightExpress.htm

Now maybe our GM might at lwast consider interviewing 'the knows a lot' and is generally accepted Turkish Man known popularly as Dr. Oz.

red
01-05-2019, 03:19 PM
mcdaniels pulled such a douchebag move last year that i just don't know if i can respect him if he was our coach

i would also be a bit nervous going after him after that douchebag move

Bretsky
01-05-2019, 04:46 PM
mcdaniels pulled such a douchebag move last year that i just don't know if i can respect him if he was our coach

i would also be a bit nervous going after him after that douchebag move

Stop being such a wussbag
If we win do you care of our coach is an asshole ? even though....there could be circumstances we don't know about....

I'll take multiple Super Bowl's with a douche over none if he's the best candidate

Joemailman
01-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Mini player revolt this year in exit interviews with veterans. Very poor performance at times, especially on defense after blowing up a good (but expensive) unit. He couldn't find a way to use Jarvis Landry and Jay Ajayi and Kenyan Drake effectively. Landry does one thing well, catch short passes. So building an offense around him is tough. But as part of a whole (Cleveland) he can be very valuable. Ajayi and Drake were just malpractice. There could be extenuating circumstances, including a bad GM who made things tough.

The only QB who has excelled with him is Manning and Manning is his own OC.

His rep is pretty high and Miami didn't have a good GM, but there is very shaky recent evidence of him being a good coach. You have to return to Cutler in Chicago and even that was meh.

He would have to blow them away in interviews. He is sort of McCarthy in 2005. Coming off some of his poorest results looking for work.

Gase excelled with a past-his-prime post-surgery Manning. Cutler had the highest passer rating of his career the year Gase was OC. Miami was 10-6 the one year he had Tannehill for the whole year. And Tannehill isn't all that great. I don't know whether the player comments this year are indicative of a problem, or sour grapes by the players. I imagine that will be, or was, a topic in the interview with the Packers. He's not my top choice, but he has some things going for him. I'd rather have him as OC.

Smidgeon
01-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Monken sighting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1081641716426379264

Joemailman
01-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Monken sighting.

Good. One of my favorites.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Monken sighting.

Sweet. At least the braintrust are going to get an earful of advice about how the team could be run differently.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Gase excelled with a past-his-prime post-surgery Manning. Cutler had the highest passer rating of his career the year Gase was OC. Miami was 10-6 the one year he had Tannehill for the whole year. And Tannehill isn't all that great. I don't know whether the player comments this year are indicative of a problem, or sour grapes by the players. I imagine that will be, or was, a topic in the interview with the Packers. He's not my top choice, but he has some things going for him. I'd rather have him as OC.

Here is the pre-rebuttal posted in Twitter earlier today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwLYdAWUYAAuvXd.jpg:large

pbmax
01-05-2019, 06:57 PM

I don't know enough about his time with Miami to know whether he is capable and done in by injuries and GM or if he was simply overwhelmed.

I liked him before Miami grabbed him because he seemed to understand the Manning offense and worked under McDaniels (Denver 2009 as WR coach) so he knows something of the Patriots/McDaniels offense. But his tenure in Miami complicates the picture.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2019, 08:37 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwLYdAWUYAAuvXd.jpg:large

Caldwell has had his chance as a 2x head coach that won nada, though.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Caldwell has had his chance as a 2x head coach that won nada, though.

True and he is not young. But one of his teams went to the Super Bowl and he took another to the playoffs.

He is arguably Detroit's best coach since Wayne Fontes.

As a retread, he makes more sense, even if he doesn't have what the Packers are looking for.

pbmax
01-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Matt LaFleur
Brian Flores
Josh McDaniels
Dan Campbell
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano
Pete Carmichael
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin

Missing anybody?

Matt LaFleur
Brian Flores
Josh McDaniels
Dan Campbell
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano
Pete Carmichael
Mike Munchak
Joe Philbin
Todd Monken
Adam Gase

11 so far. Since Monken and Gase did not leak until the Packers were traveling and next week is a no go for interviews for coaches in the playoffs, I expect there could be more.

Bretsky
01-05-2019, 10:34 PM
Good. One of my favorites.

13-26 at Old Miss
He did awesome things with Winston

Joemailman
01-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Colts winning means Matt Eberflus cannot be interviewed. Correct?

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Todd Monken just doesn't look like a head coach to me.

Something that could be interesting: Choose the best overall candidate for coach, even if a CEO type coach, and bring in Kliff Kingsbury as offensive coordinator. It seems like he may not end up at USC after all. Would be hilarious to see a dude get bought out a month into a contract lol.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/05/kliff-kingsbury-may-walk-away-from-usc/

Unrelated, that dude looks cool as fuck wearing his shades when coaching. I love it.

pbmax
01-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Does George Edwards still coach the Vikings D? Did he get any interviews?

pbmax
01-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Can be interviewed before the playoff game this week with permission I believe. Assistants who haven't played yet are off limits I believe.

If they lost, same rules as other teams out of playoffs.

Once past Divisional round, it all shuts down.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/14038902/nfl-teams-hiring-new-head-coach-must-follow-rules

KYPack
01-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Interviewed with the Brownies today.

He's also the favorite candidate of KYPack.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Jason B. Hirschhorn @by_JBH
I have another Josh McDaniels story coming tomorrow morning. The Packers still have some steps to take in their head-coaching search, but it has become increasingly clear that McDaniels is positioned to land the job.

HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS GUY BUT WILDE RETWEETED HIM SO TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT, ITS ALL INFERENCE ANYWAY EXCEPT POSSIBLY THE NEXT TWEET

The Browns have not conducted an interview with Josh McDaniels during this cycle as of yet. That could change, but right now Cleveland isn't in the running.

The Packers aren't all the way in on McDaniels yet, but it would take a fairly monumental shift to dislodge him as the front-runner.

SOURCE FOR THIS SPECULATION?

As has been well documented, McDaniels has a history of taking himself out of consideration for jobs (or, infamously, breaking an agreement to take the Colts job). But the Packers could conceivably change their minds as well à la the 11th hour shift from Ball to Gutekunst for GM.

SO IS HE SAYING MCDANIELS IS IN THE RUNNING BECAUSE HE HASN'T DROPPED OUT? OR IS HE HEDGING HIS REPORT ALREADY?

THIS GUY PUBLISHED ON FACEBOOK. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS ...

Anti-Polar Bear
01-07-2019, 08:21 AM
I have another Josh McDaniels story coming tomorrow morning. The Packers still have some steps to take in their head-coaching search, but it has become increasingly clear that McDaniels is positioned to land the job.

HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS GUY BUT WILDE RETWEETED HIM SO TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT, ITS ALL INFERENCE ANYWAY EXCEPT POSSIBLY THE NEXT TWEET

The Browns have not conducted an interview with Josh McDaniels during this cycle as of yet. That could change, but right now Cleveland isn't in the running.

The Packers aren't all the way in on McDaniels yet, but it would take a fairly monumental shift to dislodge him as the front-runner.

SOURCE FOR THIS SPECULATION?

As has been well documented, McDaniels has a history of taking himself out of consideration for jobs (or, infamously, breaking an agreement to take the Colts job). But the Packers could conceivably change their minds as well à la the 11th hour shift from Ball to Gutekunst for GM.

SO IS HE SAYING MCDANIELS IS IN THE RUNNING BECAUSE HE HASN'T DROPPED OUT? OR IS HE HEDGING HIS REPORT ALREADY?

THIS GUY PUBLISHED ON FACEBOOK. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIS ...

Hirschhorn is Deep Throat, the source behind Spygate, Deflategate and Changemindgate.

I'm guessing the Browns rumor is created J-Mac's agent to force the Packers to pony up as well as hurry the fuck up. Get it done, already! Hire J-Mac as ACME Packers head coach!

Joemailman
01-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Does George Edwards still coach the Vikings D? Did he get any interviews?

He was interviewed by Bucs on Friday for HC. Wouldn't mind both him and Fangio getting new jobs.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Finally, I remembered why Dan Campbell is an idiot. In season Oklahoma drills.

In 2015, he finished the season as the Miami Dolphins interim head coach after Philbin was fired. Miami went 5-7 under Campbell, who fired two coordinators and promoted quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor to call plays. He also had the team perform the “Oklahoma Drill” in his first practice and preached a more smash-mouth style of offense and mentality.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/02/green-bay-packers-coaching-candidates-come-varied-backgrounds/2466053002/

pbmax
01-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Same article, Monken:

Monken was a head coach at Southern Mississippi University from 2013-15, compiling a 13-25 record. He went from 1-11 in his first season to 9-5 in his last before leaving for the NFL.

Joemailman
01-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Finally, I remembered why Dan Campbell is an idiot. In season Oklahoma drills.

In 2015, he finished the season as the Miami Dolphins interim head coach after Philbin was fired. Miami went 5-7 under Campbell, who fired two coordinators and promoted quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor to call plays. He also had the team perform the “Oklahoma Drill” in his first practice and preached a more smash-mouth style of offense and mentality.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/02/green-bay-packers-coaching-candidates-come-varied-backgrounds/2466053002/

There was a sense back then that Philbin had lost the team, and thus Campbell felt he had to change the attitude of the team:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13814560/miami-dolphins-fire-joe-philbin

"I feel there's a lot more we can get out of these guys. We need to change the culture to where it is so competitive on Wednesday, Thursday, maybe even Friday, that it's intense and heated. We may have to break up a few [fights] -- that's when things get good. You can't go through the motions Wednesday and Thursday and turn it up on Sunday. It doesn't work that way.''

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-had-feud-with-dolphins-defense-20151005-story.html

Joe Philbin apparently lost control of his football team before Sunday's 27-14 loss to the New York Jets.

During Saturday's walk-through practice in London the Miami Dolphins defense took offense to derogatory comments quarterback Ryan Tannehill made to the scout team defenders and eventually stopped practicing during the dry run for Sunday's game.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
Multiple sources say Ryan Tannehill had committed a couple turnovers early in Saturday's walk-through and was bothered by scout team defenders intercepting his passes.

During an exchange with linebacker Chris McCain, who picked off a poorly thrown pass from Tannehill, the team's starting quarterback told the defenders "enjoy your practice squad paychecks," a source said.

An altercation ensured, and after the coaches got things under control, the Dolphins defenders aggressively went after more of Tannehill's passes, disrupting the offense's rhythm.

When the defenders were told to stop running full speed during the walk-through work the defense stopped running all together during Tannehill's snaps.

I don't know if Campbell is head coaching material, but I can see where he felt he had to shake things up in Miami. Zac Taylor, who Campbell made his OC, is now a candidate for the Denver HC job.

bobblehead
01-07-2019, 10:23 AM

Deleted for space saving, but I had the same impression as what you post here. Caldwell wasn't on my radar, but after researching him a bit (and finding out he is a native cheesehead) I kinda like him and wouldn't cry if he got the job. Truth is there is no one I love this year like I loved Frank Reich last year unless Gary Kubiak decides he is healthy enough to coach again.

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Caldwell is disqualified on age alone. He's almost 64.

Pugger
01-07-2019, 10:46 AM
Caldwell is disqualified on age alone. He's almost 64.

Is 64 old? Yikes. ;-)

call_me_ishmael
01-07-2019, 11:12 AM
Is 64 old? Yikes. ;-)

It is when your job is to inspire and relate to 22-30 year olds.

Fritz
01-07-2019, 11:17 AM
After watching what the Eagles, Bears, and Colts defenses did this past weekend, I am of a mind that the Packers should seek a defensive-minded coach to lead things, and then hire some young hotshot quarterbacks coach or Kliff Kingsbury from USC as the new OC.

red
01-07-2019, 11:55 AM
After watching what the Eagles, Bears, and Colts defenses did this past weekend, I am of a mind that the Packers should seek a defensive-minded coach to lead things, and then hire some young hotshot quarterbacks coach or Kliff Kingsbury from USC as the new OC.

Not a bad idea at all, especially since a rod is gonna run whatever the hell he wants

Joemailman
01-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Not a bad idea at all, especially since a rod is gonna run whatever the hell he wants

Rodgers id the problem? I thought Fat Mike was the problem.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30606-Official-Fire-Mike-McCarthy-Thread/page4

The problem the last few years is the offense, it’s one big mess

Can’t score in the red zone, and there never hardly any continuity, it’s just sit back and wait for a-rod to make a big play

And one of the big problems is the plays and routes we run, relying on all our guys everytime to beat their men

I think Arod had lost faith in MM's system. I think you'll see a different attitude from him with a better OC.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Deleted for space saving, but I had the same impression as what you post here. Caldwell wasn't on my radar, but after researching him a bit (and finding out he is a native cheesehead) I kinda like him and wouldn't cry if he got the job. Truth is there is no one I love this year like I loved Frank Reich last year unless Gary Kubiak decides he is healthy enough to coach again.

That Packer news article above with quotes about Campbell and Monken has a good summary of the offenses these guys have turned in, though its only in yards and points.

The one negative on Caldwell's resume as an offensive coach is that his offensive scoring without Maning is pretty unimpressive. Gonna be a hard sell.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 01:01 PM
There was a sense back then that Philbin had lost the team, and thus Campbell felt he had to change the attitude of the team:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13814560/miami-dolphins-fire-joe-philbin

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-had-feud-with-dolphins-defense-20151005-story.html

I don't know if Campbell is head coaching material, but I can see where he felt he had to shake things up in Miami. Zac Taylor, who Campbell made his OC, is now a candidate for the Denver HC job.

I get that. Its a fair point that something had to change. But its also undeniable that risking injury in drills that do not involve your QB improving are not going to help your team's focus.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 01:02 PM

I'd be down with Eberflus, the Colts D coordinator. That defense looked good. He has KYP's stamp of approval. Need to know who is running the offense though.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Don't forget this guy: Baylor head coach Matt Rhule

He is still in school recruiting, so that will need to be quiet. Also interview Eberflus. Other than Arians, no one else too interesting unless Saban wants to leave Alabama.

Arians wants to interview for Tampa, did he ever interview in Cleveland?

Fritz
01-07-2019, 01:18 PM
I like Eberflus - look what that Indy defense did to Houston. And he's got KYP's seal of approval, so we know Eberflus's special teams would also be good. Hire him, and let him find some young hotshot to be his offensive coordinator, and turn 'em all loose.

I also want to ask if anyone else saw the ridiculousness of the JSO's recent reporting on Josh McDaniel? In one headline, he and Gase are the safest choices. In the previous headline, J-Mac is the biggest risk the team could take.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Kliff Kingsbury is expected to begin interviewing for NFL HC jobs, as @JayGlazer reported, after USC initially blocked him from doing so. Cardinals and Jets wanted to talk to him, and Kingsbury is square in the HC mix.

Smidgeon
01-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Kliff Kingsbury is expected to begin interviewing for NFL HC jobs, as @JayGlazer reported, after USC initially blocked him from doing so. Cardinals and Jets wanted to talk to him, and Kingsbury is square in the HC mix.

PFT is speculating he resigned at USC after being blocked for interviews. Apparently he underestimated how quickly his star has risen.

By the way, I remember my school playing against him in college. Texas Tech was always a tough game back then.

pbmax
01-07-2019, 03:15 PM
PFT is speculating he resigned at USC after being blocked for interviews. Apparently he underestimated how quickly his star has risen.

By the way, I remember my school playing against him in college. Texas Tech was always a tough game back then.

Yep. NFL teams are trying to play catch up quickly. Timing is kinda weird because he got dumped by TT for a poor record.

Wonder if this was short sighted though, he has two interviews. Odds aren't great on a HC gig. Would he settle for OC?

Smidgeon
01-07-2019, 04:07 PM
By the way, can we hire the HC already? We need an "Official Fire xxx" thread already.

Joemailman
01-07-2019, 04:16 PM
By the way, can we hire the HC already? We need an "Official Fire xxx" thread already.

I think they're done with the 1st round. 2nd interviews should start soon.

Iron Mike
01-07-2019, 05:15 PM
I'd be down with Eberflus, the Colts D coordinator. That defense looked good. He has KYP's stamp of approval. Need to know who is running the offense though.

Don't forget that Eberflus went to Indy in anticipation of being McDaniels' DC, and just stayed there. Perhaps we could still get both.

red
01-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Is 64 old? Yikes. ;-)

ancient

QBME
01-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Is 64 old? Yikes. ;-)

I'm with you.

ND72
01-07-2019, 05:56 PM
GB Radio this morning had a guest on, but i missed who it was...he said don't be shocked if GB hires Matt LaFleur.

BOOM

pbmax
01-07-2019, 06:02 PM
There is a tiny, small and mean part of me that is glad its not McDaniels only so that we don't have to hear about it from Greg Bedard.

Joemailman
01-07-2019, 06:10 PM

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?30785-Official-Fire-Matt-LaFleur-Thread

Bretsky
01-07-2019, 09:58 PM
There is a tiny, small and mean part of me that is glad its not McDaniels only so that we don't have to hear about it from Greg Bedard.

You are just happy you didn't have to listen to all the references of Hoody Genius JR after we won two Super Bowl's before AROD retired :))

While Bedard called HG2 the most qualified candidate for the job, he noted McDaniels might not be a fit for GB

Fritz
01-08-2019, 06:24 AM
...or listen to Tank crow for a few months until it all falls apart when he tries to cut Mike Daniels for being 30 seconds late for a voluntary workout.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 03:29 PM
You are just happy you didn't have to listen to all the references of Hoody Genius JR after we won two Super Bowl's before AROD retired :))

While Bedard called HG2 the most qualified candidate for the job, he noted McDaniels might not be a fit for GB

If you and tank and the rest had proven correct, I would gladly put up with all the Junior hype and self congratulation.

But I draw the line at Bedard pontificating.

mraynrand
01-08-2019, 03:35 PM
If you and tank and the rest had proven correct, I would gladly put up with all the Junior hype and self congratulation.

But I draw the line at Bedard pontificating.

Listen to what LaFleur people are saying.

pbmax
01-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Listen to what LaFleur people are saying.

He has people already?

bobblehead
01-08-2019, 10:37 PM
It is when your job is to inspire and relate to 22-30 year olds.

Pete Carroll

mraynrand
01-09-2019, 07:56 AM
He has people already?

They're getting louder every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJlyapt6OY

pbmax
02-05-2019, 04:04 PM
When we all demand LaFleur get the boot to make Rodgers great again and Pugger asks just who we want as a replacement, here is my first entry for the chase.

Head Coach Ranking @HCRfootball

Six NFL teams reached out to Iowa State's Matt Campbell during recent coaching cycle- https://t.co/QxNACatNYb -via @DMRegister

red
02-05-2019, 08:17 PM
i say the next HC hasn't been born yet

even if the current guy only lasts a year

gotta keep riding the youth wave

pbmax
02-17-2019, 09:28 AM
When we all demand LaFleur get the boot to make Rodgers great again and Pugger asks just who we want as a replacement, here is my first entry for the chase.

Head Coach Ranking @HCRfootball

Six NFL teams reached out to Iowa State's Matt Campbell during recent coaching cycle- https://t.co/QxNACatNYb -via @DMRegister

I put it somewhere else but also need to keep an eye on Patrick Graham, now in Miami.

pbmax
03-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Both NFL veterans, Kilff Klingsbury and Graham Harrell adhere to Leach's playbook more than the NFL counterparts. here is Harrell on it:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D01NIzDX0AQxi2j.jpg:large

red
03-04-2019, 08:28 PM
its amazing that they could over-complicate a call that involves 2 guys going deep, and the rest waiting for the play to break down so they can scramble around

"you go deep, the rest of you get open"

there, thats not so hard to remember and call out

Fritz
03-06-2019, 07:35 AM
I do think sometimes these brainiacs overthink it. Maybe they think that's how they earn that big money.