PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL FIRST ROUND DRAFT DAY THREAD

Pages : 1 2 [3]

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2019, 10:25 AM
I think he might be a better fit for Pettine than what they tried to do with him at Michigan. It's obvious what they want it of an OLB. Size to set edge, versatility rushing the passer. The three guys they brought are very similar. Gary is just much more athletic.

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 10:45 AM
I think he might be a better fit for Pettine than what they tried to do with him at Michigan. It's obvious what they want it of an OLB. Size to set edge, versatility rushing the passer. The three guys they brought are very similar. Gary is just much more athletic.

winner post

Joemailman
04-26-2019, 10:50 AM
I don't get why you think we need to rationalize the pick. Gary went about where he was projected (not a reach) and he fits the scheme.

Although he was lower in some mock drafts, a lot of people had him in top 10 on their boards. http://draftanalyst.com/ had him #8. Daniel Jeremiah at NFL.com had him #10. GBNreport.com had him at #10.

Teamcheez1
04-26-2019, 10:58 AM
For once I would like the pick to be:

"Love the pick, Pack nailed it"

rather than being talked into analytics, scheme, potential, etc.

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 11:14 AM

Tony Mandarich!

Joemailman
04-26-2019, 11:15 AM

I kinda felt that way when they drafted Ha Ha.

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Gutey likes athletes. MVS, ESB, Jaire, Gary, Savage

pbmax
04-26-2019, 02:37 PM
@AdamSchefter
In the common-draft era, dating back to 1967, no NFL team ever has started five offensive linemen in one game who were all first-round picks (drafted by any team), as the Falcons are now poised to do this season:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5GeNSLXkAIQliM.jpg:large

Fritz
04-26-2019, 02:40 PM

Well said.

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Gutey likes athletes. MVS, ESB, Jaire, Gary, Savage
+1
Burks too

pbmax
04-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Nice video of fan reactions for most of the first round picks.

https://twitter.com/ScooterMagruder/status/1121855190292938752

Fritz
04-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Forget the projection to the Pros, was he at all similar to MSU one trick pony Worthy?

No, he's not. What I mean by that - and I am not trying to be mean here - is that, in college, Worthy was a beast because he was just so, so damn quick off the line. If he got that first step, and he often did, he was in the backfield. But Gary doesn't have even that. He's got no signature move, no one particular feature or move that just always worked.

Fans at Michigan kept waiting and waiting for him to have that big breakout game, or season, and he just never did. The coaches, of course, said much of what has been said here - he gets double-teamed a lot, he's a good run defender, he opens things up for other players to make plays. But he himself was just not a playmaker.

Somewhere in these threads, Spaulding wrote that a friend of his, from Michigan I think, said the comparison for Gary is Frank Clark. I disagree. While their production was similar, I thought at that time that if Clark could get his shit together, he'd be a beast. My youngest daughter worked in the athlete's cafeteria there, and so she would report her impressions. While they are generally pretty self-satisfied jocks, Clark was . . . just not a good guy. Moody, different. But you could tell, on the field, that the guy could play. But he left early because they couldn't quite keep him reined in.

Gary, from what I can tell, was more-or-less a model citizen, for a big-school jock, anyway. And a hard worker. But he just never, ever lived up to the hype that accompanied him when he arrived on campus. And I don't get the impression that he ever will, no matter what position he plays. He's just not a football player. He's an athletic dude.

pbmax
04-26-2019, 03:47 PM
No, he's not. What I mean by that - and I am not trying to be mean here - is that, in college, Worthy was a beast because he was just so, so damn quick off the line. If he got that first step, and he often did, he was in the backfield. But Gary doesn't have even that. He's got no signature move, no one particular feature or move that just always worked.

Fans at Michigan kept waiting and waiting for him to have that big breakout game, or season, and he just never did. The coaches, of course, said much of what has been said here - he gets double-teamed a lot, he's a good run defender, he opens things up for other players to make plays. But he himself was just not a playmaker.

Somewhere in these threads, Spaulding wrote that a friend of his, from Michigan I think, said the comparison for Gary is Frank Clark. I disagree. While their production was similar, I thought at that time that if Clark could get his shit together, he'd be a beast. My youngest daughter worked in the athlete's cafeteria there, and so she would report her impressions. While they are generally pretty self-satisfied jocks, Clark was . . . just not a good guy. Moody, different. But you could tell, on the field, that the guy could play. But he left early because they couldn't quite keep him reined in.

Gary, from what I can tell, was more-or-less a model citizen, for a big-school jock, anyway. And a hard worker. But he just never, ever lived up to the hype that accompanied him when he arrived on campus. And I don't get the impression that he ever will, no matter what position he plays. He's just not a football player. He's an athletic dude.

If you can look at that Twitter thread of clips. Tell me if those are what you saw when you watched?

https://twitter.com/ScooterMagruder/status/1121855190292938752

bobblehead
04-26-2019, 03:50 PM
I kinda felt that way when they drafted Ha Ha.

I felt it 2x. Ha ha and Bulaga. I was half right.

pbmax
04-26-2019, 03:51 PM
Everyone loved the Hawk pick.

I will love it when the son of a gun can play.

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Everyone loved the Hawk pick.

wrong

pbmax
04-26-2019, 03:56 PM
wrong

OK, but most did. And it was celebrated publicly by the draft commentariat. You can count on them to be as wrong as we are.

Bretsky
04-26-2019, 05:50 PM
I don't get why you think we need to rationalize the pick. Gary went about where he was projected (not a reach) and he fits the scheme.

Did you see anywhere projecting top 12 for Gary ? Most of what I saw was 20's

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2019, 06:44 PM
ESPN had him #13 overall. NFL.com had him #7. CBS Sports had him #9.

Bretsky
04-27-2019, 11:12 AM
ESPN had him #13 overall. NFL.com had him #7. CBS Sports had him #9.

I get more into mock drafts than site ratings. Everything I saw there had him around the 20 range; nobody gave anything glowing except he'll be drafted on upside as opposed to production

esoxx
04-27-2019, 11:16 AM
I get more into mock drafts than site ratings. Everything I saw there had him around the 20 range; nobody gave anything glowing except he'll be drafted on upside as opposed to production

McGinn had him going 11th to the Bungles

pbmax
04-27-2019, 12:01 PM
McGinn had him going 11th to the Bungles

No way, not enough run-ins with law enforcement for the Bengals to clear him in Round 1.

Though nice call to roast Bretsky on a McGinn mock draft. :lol: