PDA

View Full Version : 2022 NFL Draft Talk

Pages : 1 2 [3]

RashanGary
04-26-2022, 03:09 PM
The media outlets always get a couple dead wrong as far as where theyre drafted. But its
Actually somewhat impressive that they get most close to right. The draft boards arent all that bad.

RashanGary
04-26-2022, 09:04 PM
Bretsky, tomorrow after work im gonna go through and list the first round receivers from each draft and then list the second round and third. We can compare which round produces the best results.

I have a theory that the second round is almost as productive as the first. The third is productive, but a drop off from rounds 1 and 2.

Bretsky
04-26-2022, 09:43 PM
Bretsky, tomorrow after work im gonna go through and list the first round receivers from each draft and then list the second round and third. We can compare which round produces the best results.

I have a theory that the second round is almost as productive as the first. The third is productive, but a drop off from rounds 1 and 2.

That will be interesting

The more I read on the draft, IF GB isn't getting one of the WR's they consider top tier at pick 22, I'd love for them to trade down, perhaps for 40 and 41.

Plenty of very good WR's will be going in round 2

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 12:05 AM
Not my guys.

QB Bailey Zappe
RB Isaiah Spiller - I watched his film before the combine and I could not see why he was anywhere near RB1 in rankings. Then, he tested poorly at the combine.
WR Wan'Dale Robinson - primarily because he's a gadget player only to me (unlike Calvin Austin), and those are day 3 guys for me.
WR David Bell - Kind of the same as Spiller, but he tested even worse.
TE Isaiah Likely
TE Jalyn Wydermyer - Same as Spiller. This dude looked slow on tape, but what was even worse is he took little interest in blocking at 255 pounds. I think I graded him as the worst move blocker in this year's class. Then, he tested about as poorly as possible at the combine.
OL Tyler Smith - This dude cannot handle speed and he holds a lot. I see him as an OG prospect. Maybe you give him a 2nd round grade for that potential, but he is a ways away from being a good NFL OT.
DL I wouldn't say I have a "not my guy", but I don't like this year's class. There's Jordan Davis, Travis Jones, and Devonte Wyatt (depending on character concerns). After that, there isn't much. Winfrey and Hall have a chance, but they got a mid 2nd to early 3rd round grade from me. Matt Henningsen may finish in my top 10 at DL, and he didn't even get invited to the combine. This is a big reason why I'm a proponent of taking Travis Jones in round 1.
LB Devin Lloyd and Nakobe Dean as 1st round picks. There's not a ton of difference for me between Lloyd and Channing Tindall or Dean and Christian Harris or Malcolm Rodriguez. I'd much rather have Quay Walker, Chad Muma, Leon Chenal, or Troy Andersen in round 2 than Lloyd or Dean in round 1.
CB Tariq Woolen in round 2. He's getting a lot of buzz because of his testing, but this dude is super raw and stiff. He did not look great at the combine in CB drills. I think people are overrating his long speed. Like a Kevin King with less experience coming out of college. For a sleeper with elite measurables, give me Zyon McCollum. I guess he's a slight "not my guy". He could make me look foolish because not having a lot of experience is probably a good thing, and he could be something special in a couple of years. He looked solid at the Senior Bowl, and he does like to hit. I just don't know that I'd be thrilled if the Packers drafted him in the 2nd round.
S I haven't finished this group. Quite honestly, it's nearly impossible to evaluate safeties because you can't find all-22 film like you used to. Most of the all-22 film is on Patreon. What I've seen and read, I think it's a good group of safeties. I don't really see much out of whack with the rankings--except I have Jalen Pitre slightly higher than Lewis Cine and Jaquan Brisker.

Upnorth
04-27-2022, 07:04 AM
That will be interesting

The more I read on the draft, IF GB isn't getting one of the WR's they consider top tier at pick 22, I'd love for them to trade down, perhaps for 40 and 41.

Plenty of very good WR's will be going in round 2

I want this to happen so much, and have said that here. Unfortunately I think gute instead will trade up for olave or someone else.

I just see no uninjured elite wr talent this year. I'm sure there maybe one but it's such a crap shoot. Quantity over perceived quality this year

Jaire
04-27-2022, 08:32 AM
Gute said its a good wr draft. I hope we get our guy in the first two rounds.

I agree. It's deep. The top isn't as good, but it's the best depth I've seen in a while: maybe deeper than 2020. And we have a ton of picks. I see Pierce as a sleeper pick. it depends on football character -- he's not country like Jordy, but a better athlete and great hands; terrific back shoulder. I don't think he gets taken before 40. We could move down and take him at 36 ;) I really would like GB to stick with draft and develop philosophy. We can still make a move post draft to get another vet. Simms has him as his number three WR in this draft: I can't disagree.

Some character concerns about Pickens: it might be smoke, but if true I guarantee he is off our board. The smoke is heavy now.

run pMc
04-27-2022, 11:18 AM
Packers Wire regurgitated a report that GB did extensive research on Pickens and Jelani Woods. Being this close to the draft, everything is misdirection and smoke.
I like Pickens as a prospect and hadn't heard about off-field stuff but you never know.
I heard Treylon Burks and Trent McDuffie weren't invited to the Draft, suggesting they might not be R1 picks.

Agree the depth from R2 thru R4 is good and the more picks there the better, although having two R1's isn't bad.

Joemailman
04-27-2022, 11:24 AM
I agree. It's deep. The top isn't as good, but it's the best depth I've seen in a while: maybe deeper than 2020. And we have a ton of picks. I see Pierce as a sleeper pick. it depends on football character -- he's not country like Jordy, but a better athlete and great hands; terrific back shoulder. I don't think he gets taken before 40. We could move down and take him at 36 ;) I really would like GB to stick with draft and develop philosophy. We can still make a move post draft to get another vet. Simms has him as his number three WR in this draft: I can't disagree.

Some character concerns about Pickens: it might be smoke, but if true I guarantee he is off our board. The smoke is heavy now.

The fact I didn't hear about those character concerns until this week make me suspicious of their viability. The guy came back from an ACL in 8 months to play in Georgia's final games even though he knew he would be entering the draft. Most guys likely would have sat out.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 11:42 AM
The fact I didn't hear about those character concerns until this week make me suspicious of their viability. The guy came back from an ACL in 8 months to play in Georgia's final games even though he knew he would be entering the draft. Most guys likely would have sat out.

I heard about these concerns (along the lines of him being a diva) months ago, but I don't think they'll affect his draft position. On the plus side he's an alpha. The big concern with Pickens is health. I don't think the torn ACL is the first injury he had either. That and his tiny hands. :)

Jaire
04-27-2022, 11:49 AM

IT's not on field concerns. I love what I see on field. I'm just taking him off my board for GB.

Joemailman
04-27-2022, 01:24 PM
I heard about these concerns (along the lines of him being a diva) months ago, but I don't think they'll affect his draft position. On the plus side he's an alpha. The big concern with Pickens is health. I don't think the torn ACL is the first injury he had either. That and his tiny hands. :)

I would say these days you'd really be limiting yourself if you rule out drafting a WR because he's a diva.

Joemailman
04-27-2022, 01:32 PM
All you need for Thursday night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRWaGtxXIAIEpOi?format=jpg&name=large

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2022, 01:46 PM
It's starting to look like this Waller deal was just media generated bullshit. I wouldn't have minded if it was true, but I'm at least as happy if it isn't true. The bottom line is, we really don't need help at TE.

run pMc
04-27-2022, 01:54 PM
I like the flowchart, made me laugh. Also: if we got out of Round two with Karlaftis, Pickens, Waller and Walker I'd be happy.

That means it won't happen.

run pMc
04-27-2022, 01:58 PM
It's starting to look like this Waller deal was just media generated bullshit. I wouldn't have minded if it was true, but I'm at least as happy if it isn't true. The bottom line is, we really don't need help at TE.

It might be bullshit -- draft talk is >90% bullshit. However, draft-day trades are not uncommon. I think if it doesn't happen in the next 48 hours it won't happen. My guess is they want to see how the board falls before pulling the trigger on any trades. Might as well keep all your ammo to trade up/down/for players until you have more certainty.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 09:23 PM
What do Badger fans think of Scott Nelson? Most expert boards have him as a UDFA, but he has the size and athleticism to take a late round flier on. Is he any good? NFL.com does have a draftable grade on him.

Joemailman
04-27-2022, 09:33 PM
Pro Football Network:

Scott Nelson, DB
Positives: Tough and instinctive try-hard safety who is efficient, quickly reads and diagnoses plays, and takes proper angles to the action. Tracks the pass in the air, gets a beat on the throw, and shows a closing burst to the pass. Ferocious defending the run and flies around the field. Squares and wraps up tackling.

Negatives: Despite a great pro-day workout, does not play with lateral speed and cannot get to the spot quickly enough in coverage. Does not show great range. Displays stiffness in his game.

Analysis: Nelson is a high-effort defender who makes plays with his head and hustle rather than athleticism. He’s a traditional strong safety or a fit in a zone system, and Nelson comes with a special-teams mentality.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 09:36 PM
I've read the scouting reports, but I want to know if Badger fans think he's any good. :)

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 09:37 PM
I'm finalizing my safety board--which is a whole lot of other people's opinions. I tried to catch what I could on film, but there's often not a lot to see down in and down out at safety. I have 7 safeties, a few CBs, and a few LBs to watch. Then, I'm done.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 11:11 PM
I love draft season. Player 1 is a 1st round pick. Player 2 may not get drafted.

Player 1 = 6'4" 220, 4.59 40, 1.57 10, 4.32 sht, 6.90 3 cone, 38" vert
Player 2 = 6'4" 224, 4.60 40, 1.58 10, 4.33 sht, 6.93 3 cone, 36" vert

To be fair, Player 1 did have a much better broad jump.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2022, 11:12 PM
Player 1 is Kyle Hamilton.
Player 2 is Sterling Weatherford.

Bretsky
04-27-2022, 11:23 PM
I've read the scouting reports, but I want to know if Badger fans think he's any good. :)

Very Very Solid; and I think he'll be solid at ST as well. Not great, but very very solid. He has the talent to go as high as round 4 but my guess is he's a 5-6th rounder and makes it with a NFL team. I know it's not a fair comp, but he kind of reminds me of Jim Leonard as far as instincts and leadership.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 03:38 AM
My full draft spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1warKAIF6S1gWUgTSpLFEfEiQqkhpT_43Ilk_5aDI5GI/edit?usp=sharing

The Scott Nelson ranking was courtesy of Bretsky.

Joemailman
04-28-2022, 07:25 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1warKAIF6S1gWUgTSpLFEfEiQqkhpT_43Ilk_5aDI5GI/edit?usp=sharing

I'm a little worried about you Harv. Posting this stuff at 3:38 in the morning?

RashanGary
04-28-2022, 08:50 AM

Im hoping for Travis Jones at either 22 or 28. Two Kenny Clarks would be nice.

run pMc
04-28-2022, 09:27 AM
I love draft season. Player 1 is a 1st round pick. Player 2 may not get drafted.

Who has better instincts, tackling, coverage ability and play speed? The tape is your friend here. If the combine doesn't jive with the tape, I think you go with the tape.
Sadly, with safeties you can hardly ever see enough.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 09:55 AM
Who has better instincts, tackling, coverage ability and play speed? The tape is your friend here. If the combine doesn't jive with the tape, I think you go with the tape.
Sadly, with safeties you can hardly ever see enough.

I know, but it's funny how they are almost identical physically.

Deputy Nutz
04-28-2022, 10:11 AM

I really like Sterling Weatherford for his measurables, and his film is decent. I like him better than Scott Nelson

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 11:05 AM
Who is starting a Draft Day 1 thread?

Rumors that the Saints may be interested in Watson at #19.

Joemailman
04-28-2022, 01:42 PM
Who is starting a Draft Day 1 thread?

Rumors that the Saints may be interested in Watson at #19.

Go ahead and do it.

Heard from Rastak?

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Had made a few tweaks earlier today. I can't seem to open up google docs from my phone unless I click on a link, so I'm reposting to get access to the latest version.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R_3QiGbBfzw71d6LrlyvdNtAzQ6Lv3U4IAQ28CDfR18/edit#gid=371071425

call_me_ishmael
04-28-2022, 10:31 PM
I would have MUCH preferred Daxton Hill and Wyatt. I guess it shows that they like the safety guy they have (Maryland)

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 10:38 PM
I would have MUCH preferred Daxton Hill and Wyatt. I guess it shows that they like the safety guy they have (Maryland)

My guess it that they are tired of giving up so much in the running game and would rather use an athletic LB over a third S on 3rd downs.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2022, 10:38 PM
If Walker is good, they won't need that 3rd safety as much.

RashanGary
04-28-2022, 10:42 PM
If Walker is good, they won't need that 3rd safety as much.

True. I think it was always a frustration to have to play with 3 safeties.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2022, 05:44 PM
Let's pump it up in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgEum8Aicrc

call_me_ishmael
05-04-2022, 09:10 AM
That dude from Arkansas that went to Tenneessee is a perfect replacement for the dude they traded to the Eagles. That is a master class in value. That's how you play the game (if you have a stud QB, which they don't, so it's sorta moot).

RashanGary
05-06-2022, 10:02 PM
The huddle report does a top 100 selections competition between media outlets. Bob McGinn won again this year.

I subscribed for the draft coverage.

The scouts didnt like Watson very much and had lower than average opinions of Quay Walker.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2022, 10:25 PM
I’m curious. What did McGinn’s scouts say about Gary, Dillon, Jenkins, and Stokes?

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2022, 10:42 PM
McGinn and his fucking scouts? Sheeeeesh, BFD.

run pMc
05-07-2022, 10:04 AM
Haven't read him much since he left JSO, but back then McGinn was pretty good as long as he stayed away from opinion pieces. Seemed like he had a grudge against TT, and was a bit of a pessimist in general. Also, I think the editors goaded him into writing some more controversial (for him) stuff including the opinion pieces. He's seen a LOT of football and knows quite a bit, and he has a lot of sources in the NFL. I actually think his draft pieces are pretty good.

As for the sources he interviews, sometimes they are way off, but that's scouting. There were some pretty amusing takes from scouts on Aaron Rodgers. Point is, people can look at the same prospect and have wildly different opinions, it's not surprising if some have lower opinions. Even top 10 picks have warts. Getting that info early in the draft craze is helpful to get more honest assessments, and considering he's often the most accurate confirms that.