PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2023 (Or Will He Play)?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

George Cumby
04-02-2023, 03:45 PM
Where does Tex fit?

LOL

RashanGary
04-02-2023, 04:28 PM
YUP, I stuck with Sharon one year too late; I tried, but in the end the Karen Rodgers Media Whore pushing his agendas is just too much. And he sucks as a GM as well and is such a shitbag. Poll after poll after poll in WI show over 70 percent of Packer fans are mentally done with him, even if it means we lose more games.

I remember 20ish years ago you are I were fighting. I was pro Favre and you were pro Rodgers. Rodgers gave us some great years.

But he's changed.

Both guys became entitled brats.

RashanGary
04-02-2023, 04:30 PM
Packers or Jets, one of them will be a winner with Rodgers for years to come, and one of them will play consistently losing football without him. So polls say 70% want to "move on" - to losing football? Uh yeah, I suppose that's believable, with some in here anyway.

Take you 70% figure for dumbassery as true; It seems like the level in here might be even higher than that hahahahaha. I hope ya'all enjoy watching losing football for years to come.

At least Bretsky and I can enjoy watching the Badgers win.

You’ve parroted for years that the good normal majority of people are so smart. Where is that line now?

texaspackerbacker
04-02-2023, 05:02 PM
I don't see the connection. I'm not gonna comment on your literal post, as that would be the evil p word, and maybe get us both banned hahahaha.

I guess football must be different, though. Winning beats losing - what could be more good and normal than that?

As for people trying to stir up some sort of Favre vs. Rodgers thing, that's just stupid. They're BOTH Packer icons, one the GOAT, the other arguably the GOAT as of his time or damn close to it. No off-field crap can ever change that.

bobblehead
04-02-2023, 10:15 PM
I suspect that, as is most often the case, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think Joe is mostly right - in the initial sit-down with Rodgers, Guter likely let it be known that the Packers were going to move on from some guys ("some guys" being Cobb and Lewis, and probably Lazard and Tonyan), but that if Rodgers wanted to come back, they'd like him back and would figure out what to do with Love. Rodgers probably didn't say much - often when you're negotiating and you get a proposal you don't like, you just don't say much - but was likely slightly offended. So off he went to ponder.

Being the mostly passive-aggressive guy he is, when the Packers were calling and checking in, he didn't pick up. I am sure he did not like that the new sway he'd held the year before - getting Cobb back, Lewis back - was gone.

On the other hand, I don't buy at all that when Guters said he "had to do my job" it didn't involve shopping Rodgers. Calling GM's and asking if anyone would be interested in Rodgers should he become available is doing his job but it IS also shopping Rodgers. And Guter made it sound like after trying to contact Rodgers a bunch of times, he called Rodgers's agents and they got back to him relaying the message that he wanted to play for the Jets. The Jets? Out of nowhere, Rodgers just pulled the Jets out of his ass? Not a west coast team, not Tennessee where he owns property? Not a warm-weather location? The Jets? No, it's the Jets because that's who'd expressed an interest to Guter, and Rodgers found that out.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to what Joe has more-or-less said: Rodgers did not like the idea of losing his say on certain parts of the roster, so he sulked, and when he sulked, the Packers decided okay, we're done now. I suspect that the front office were almost looking for an excuse to move on, though.

So now both sides can play the blame game. But it's probably both sides. The relationship just got old, like some do.

This is a much more rational take than the ones being offered by some others here. I concur for what thats worth.

bobblehead
04-02-2023, 10:19 PM
70% seems right. There are a few Rodgers die hards but most of the comments are people sick of him.

I'm not sick of him. I do think he is uninspired at this point and as such I want the team to move on. I recognize his greatness. That doesn't put him beyond criticism though. Love almost certainly won't be as good as Rodgers was. However at this point I don't think Rodgers, as a packer, had the fire to win an owl.

bobblehead
04-02-2023, 10:23 PM
Both guys became entitled brats.

Football isn't like other jobs. Rodgers/Favre were closing in on 40 trying to get used to a new cast of 22-27 year olds each year. QBs simply have the ability to play longer so it presents a unique problem in the world of sports. Personally I get it. I have lifelong friends through school and work. I'm not overly interested in becoming besties with a new set of early 20 somethings.

Fritz
04-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Bobble, here's your new best friend!

https://media.istockphoto.com/id/1038916900/photo/portrait-with-copy-space-and-empty-place-for-text-with-young-man.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=-FHjWqvGqjwwyOV9dBPS79avsrimB-DJZ4MIH5kx6kM=

run pMc
04-04-2023, 07:41 PM
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/4/4/23670319/aaron-rodgers-trade-update-san-francisco-49ers-conversations-green-bay-packers-new-york-jets

I have to think this is posturing to pressure NYJ into making a deal. Trading Rodgers to SF would be a surprise, that's for sure.
Very interesting all the same, but I think this goes on until just before the draft. Rodgers WILL get traded, I think that bridge has been crossed, but now it's possible that it might be to SF.

Fritz
04-05-2023, 07:34 AM
The supposed compensation - two thirds this year and a first next year - isn't all that much. But at some point, I'd be ready to take a bag of peanuts for the guy. Not yet though.

Bretsky
04-06-2023, 10:44 PM
The supposed compensation - two thirds this year and a first next year - isn't all that much. But at some point, I'd be ready to take a bag of peanuts for the guy. Not yet though.

LAST THING I WANT form the Jets is a 3rd round draft pick. Gute has shown every year so far he sucks in that round

Bretsky
04-06-2023, 10:45 PM
Fuck the Jets

Trade him to San Fran

Joemailman
04-06-2023, 10:52 PM
LAST THING I WANT form the Jets is a 3rd round draft pick. Gute has shown every year so far he sucks in that round

Fritz was referring to 49ers. Jets don't have a 3rd round pick. 49ers don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick, but have 3 3rd round picks (all comp picks).

Fritz
04-07-2023, 08:02 AM
Which means this may be a secret plan by the 49ers to not only acquire Rodgers but to sink the Packers' chances because SF knows that Green Bay whiffs in the third round pretty much every year.

In terms of the other teams - Jets and Niners - it in some ways makes more sense for the Niners. They seem to have all the puzzle pieces except QB. They can afford to give up two or three thirds this year cuz they have 'em, still leaving them with the first and second (if they still have them, I don't know). They seem better-suited to go a long way in the playoffs - they did last year - so the first rounder they'd give up next year would very likely upper 20's to 32. And if Rodgers retires after one year, cool, they've got Trey Lance and Brock Purdy (is that the kid's name?).

sharpe1027
04-07-2023, 08:21 AM
49ers don't have any 1st or 2nds this year.

Fritz
04-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Ah. Well, maybe they're not so well-suited, unless they look to their neighbors to the south and see that going all-in with the QB and trading picks worked for one SB title, anyway.

run pMc
04-07-2023, 01:09 PM
Yeah supposedly the report was shot down by someone inside the 49ers organization, whatever that means.
What I saw was they were offering 3 R3 this year and a R1 next year, which sounds juicy until you realize with Rodgers that team is easily the favorite to win the NFC. They have tons of weapons on offense and a really good defense.

It won't happen though, I think a deal with NYJ happens sometime within 48 hours of draft night. Until then we all just wait and speculate.

MadtownPacker
04-07-2023, 07:09 PM
They still haven’t got rid of that bitch? Shit the Niners are dream destination in my opinion. For the Packers. That way he can play just like he would’ve played if they had drafted him and threw his ass in the fire. Then he can get his ass booed out of the Bay Area.

TravisWilliams23
04-07-2023, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't mind Debo and next years 1st pick for Rodgers. If the Jets insist on playing hardball, screw em.

Fritz
04-08-2023, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't mind Debo and next years 1st pick for Rodgers. If the Jets insist on playing hardball, screw em.

But if you're the Niners this makes no sense. If you're trading for Rodgers, it's because you want to win now, this year. So you wouldn't trade one of your playmakers - you'd offer up a couple of those thirds, plus a first next year.

But it's all just smoke apparently, so it doesn't matter. As Run said, probably we all just need to wait until the draft to see if the Jets and Packers can get it done by then.

If they don't, then the farts will start getting lumpy, as my father used to say.

call_me_ishmael
04-12-2023, 09:26 AM
The irony is moving on from ARod right now is they lit a fire under him and there are countless videos of him working out being posted daily by folks. Dude is going to ballllll out this season. NGL kinda hope it's for the Packers but we all know that ain't happening. 5th MVP is gonna be won this year though I suspect.

Joemailman
04-12-2023, 10:13 AM
I wonder if Rodgers is going to start pushing these teams to get to work finalizing this deal. I'm sure he doesn't want the Jets to give up a ton, but he probably doesn't want to be traded for a ham sandwich either.

Fritz
04-12-2023, 10:33 AM
The irony is moving on from ARod right now is they lit a fire under him and there are countless videos of him working out being posted daily by folks. Dude is going to ballllll out this season. NGL kinda hope it's for the Packers but we all know that ain't happening. 5th MVP is gonna be won this year though I suspect.

Usually I'd say whatever it takes to get you motivated, but this need to feel slighted when you're a multi-MVP HOF QB whose team actually did want him back (but did not want him back as GM again) is a bit much to take sometimes. I wonder if the Packers ever consulted a psychologist to try to get some tips as to how to make Rodgers feel slighted by the rest of the league, but not by them. But I suppose when it became evident the Packers were not going to re-sign Lazard and Cobb and Tonyan and Lewis, Rodgers felt . . . wait for it . . . slighted.

bobblehead
04-12-2023, 11:23 AM

Perhaps this was the master stroke ruse by Gutes to get him to be full go and chippy coming into camp. At the last second they trade Love to the Jets for a 2nd.

Fritz
04-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Perhaps this was the master stroke ruse by Gutes to get him to be full go and chippy coming into camp. At the last second they trade Love to the Jets for a 2nd.

The problem with this is that Rodgers would then only play with that classic chip on his shoulder against the Jets.

SudsMcBucky
04-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Usually I'd say whatever it takes to get you motivated, but this need to feel slighted when you're a multi-MVP HOF QB whose team actually did want him back (but did not want him back as GM again) is a bit much to take sometimes. I wonder if the Packers ever consulted a psychologist to try to get some tips as to how to make Rodgers feel slighted by the rest of the league, but not by them. But I suppose when it became evident the Packers were not going to re-sign Lazard and Cobb and Tonyan and Lewis, Rodgers felt . . . wait for it . . . slighted.

Maybe his motivation PRIOR to this year SHOULD have been despite all his MVP's, he's only even played in 1 fucking SB. He should've already been motivated.

texaspackerbacker
04-13-2023, 01:09 AM

I'd be absolutely leaping for joy if this happened, but I'm not holding my breath hahahaha.

call_me_ishmael
04-13-2023, 11:41 AM
If the Packers really did ever take this to the point where they pay ARod to not play, I would view that as totally unacceptable. They made the choice to move on, so let the bird out of the cage already. There is no need to extract maximum value - if this guy is so valuable, why you movin' on in the first place?

I doubt it gets that far, but it seems like this should have been wrapped up long ago, no?

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2023, 12:02 PM
It wasn't that long ago that some ppl were saying Rodgers might end up being the NFL QB GOAT. (Before Brady's last Super Bowl win.) Now he's getting traded for 2nd or 3rd pick?

Fuck, the packers messed this situation up. He still had some luster in 2022. worth 2 first round picks. Now the undercarriage is rusted out.

Fritz
04-13-2023, 01:00 PM
If the Packers really did ever take this to the point where they pay ARod to not play, I would view that as totally unacceptable. They made the choice to move on, so let the bird out of the cage already. There is no need to extract maximum value - if this guy is so valuable, why you movin' on in the first place?

I doubt it gets that far, but it seems like this should have been wrapped up long ago, no?

Other than the uncertainty, there's not any real rush to get this done. If you can live with a bit of uncertainty, you could wait right up until the draft to try to extract maximum value, or even wait after that a bit Believe me, I'd like it to get done pronto, but I can't see any real reason they HAVE to get it done right away. The draft is one deadline, but even if that doesn't happen, they could sit tight. Though at that point you'd think there could be trouble on the horizon. For both sides.

run pMc
04-13-2023, 01:21 PM
They will figure it out. If Woody Johnson got spooked by Rodgers on McAfee and doesn't want to give up a potential R1 next year, I'm sure Gute's "doesn't have to be a first round pick" comment indicates there's room to negotiate still.
I don't blame GB for sticking with whatever was agreed upon previously, sounds like NYJ changed their offer after McAfee. Both sides are playing games, and ultimately a game of chicken. Someone will give in and a deal will be struck. There's been too much PR already to go back, it would look really bad and damage a few careers.

Rodgers won't be walking back into camp, and I really don't see him getting paid to stay home, retire, or be a backup. Saleh and Douglas have publicly spoken as saying they expect Rodgers to be a Jet. He's getting traded.

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2023, 01:35 PM
Other than the uncertainty, there's not any real rush to get this done. If you can live with a bit of uncertainty, you could wait right up until the draft to try to extract maximum value, or even wait after that a bit Believe me, I'd like it to get done pronto, but I can't see any real reason they HAVE to get it done right away. The draft is one deadline, but even if that doesn't happen, they could sit tight. Though at that point you'd think there could be trouble on the horizon. For both sides.

My lightly-educated sense is that the difference between maximum value and minimum value isn't very much. Not much drama left. We need a dick pic or something to get a better story going.

Fosco33
04-13-2023, 02:07 PM
Or until early June and use 2024 guaranteed draft picks

run pMc
04-13-2023, 02:12 PM
I think GB would prefer it done before the draft so they get something NOW. I also think they don't want to spread Rodgers cap hit across two years with a post-June trade.
They'll want to have Rodgers off the roster before they exercise JL's 5th year option in May. Everything points to it happening on/near draft night.

Fritz
04-14-2023, 08:03 AM
I would say that this is the most logical, but of course it all depends on how hard both sides want to squeeze, and how they perceive the weakness of the other side. If the Jets think the Packers have more to lose than they do by waiting, then the Jets will wait - after all, if they wait until after the draft, they keep all their picks this year. If the Jets feel the pressure from their own side more than they see the Packers sweating, they'll get it done sooner.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2023, 11:26 AM
What both sides have to lose hahahaha .......

For the Jets, it's the difference between being a Super Bowl contender, one of the best teams in the NFL with Rodgers, and in the abyss - again - without him.

For the Packers, if by some miracle, Rodgers comes back and plays as well as anybody with a brain expects he can/will, they are at or very close to the absolute top of the NFL. If he is gone, no amount of high draft picks are gonna prevent them from falling to near the bottom of the league for who knows how many years without him.

So making the trade happen means everything to the Jets and nothing to the Packers - before the draft or after, before June or after, that's just the way it is.

Bretsky
04-14-2023, 06:36 PM
a 2nd this year and a 1st next year (which would quate value wise to being a 2nd, and most likely a late 2nd if the Jets have a good record) seems to be fair

If the Jets wanna screw us I say F'CK the Jets and trade him somewhere else and let the Jets be stuck with Lizard for way too much $$$

If Karen doesn't wanna go elsewhere he can retire, which financially would be ok for Green Bay

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2023, 11:04 PM
I could not disagree with you more on this one Bretsky. I think the Packers owe it to him to let him play where he wants. Ideally they just cut him outright. Consider it a past good deeds thing.

The Packers signed ARod to a contract and don't want to honor it. They are choosing to move on. Don't disrespect the guy further.

Realistically they should just do the deal with Jets and take a 2nd which is a pretty good deal IMO.

Bretsky
04-14-2023, 11:18 PM
I could not disagree with you more on this one Bretsky. I think the Packers owe it to him to let him play where he wants. Ideally they just cut him outright. Consider it a past good deeds thing.

The Packers signed ARod to a contract and don't want to honor it. They are choosing to move on. Don't disrespect the guy further.

Realistically they should just do the deal with Jets and take a 2nd which is a pretty good deal IMO.

IMO that is ridiculous. GB owes him nothing. He's made incredible money in GB. I'm not a Gutebag big fan, but he drove GB to sign him to a ludicrious deal. I'm not blaming anybody but Gute/Murphy for that, but they don't owe Rodgers a thing.

You do understand the implications of cutting him, right...all 69ish million.

Rodgers didn't fully dedicate himself to GB after he raked us over the coals with the deal (again GB's fault). But Rodgers was less than an ideal teammate, leader....etc. GB owes him nothing and should wait til they get a deal for them that they are happy with.

call_me_ishmael
04-14-2023, 11:29 PM
IMO that is ridiculous. GB owes him nothing. He's made incredible money in GB. I'm not a Gutebag big fan, but he drove GB to sign him to a ludicrious deal. I'm not blaming anybody but Gute/Murphy for that, but they don't owe Rodgers a thing.

You do understand the implications of cutting him, right...all 69ish million.

Rodgers didn't fully dedicate himself to GB after he raked us over the coals with the deal (again GB's fault). But Rodgers was less than an ideal teammate, leader....etc. GB owes him nothing and should wait til they get a deal for them that they are happy with.

He made market rate money - if not less. He certainly would have made more as a FA. I don't like the argument that he made crazy money. It seems sort of silly to me. I don't see how it's relevant!

The Packers can't cut him - I agree - and Rodgers likely doesn't want to be cut anyway since he has such a phat deal and wouldn't get it again.

The point is the Packers signed him to a contract and Rodgers was willing to honor that - the Packers are not. As such, they should do right by the player IMO. We can agree to disagree.

Bretsky
04-14-2023, 11:39 PM
If he made market money, then he owes GB no loyalty and GB owed him no loyalty. But after GB gave him the contract, I think he disappointed GB in terms of his dedication, leadership, as well as other things.

I don't know what happened in that after the season meeting. But many, including me feel Gute decided to tell Karen he was no longer the Assistant GM, and he only wanted Aaron back if he rededicated himself to his teammates. And he added that several of the veterans are not coming back and he would need to be at peace with that.

Last year Gutebag gave up his testicles in the terms he let happen to get Karen Back.

Gute wanted his stones back and I don't think Karen was going to let that happen.

I don't blame GB for not wanting a partially dedicated QB back. There is PLENTY of blame for both of them.

call_me_ishmael
04-15-2023, 12:37 AM
Agreed but that doesn't change the fact they decided they didn't want to honor his contract and are holding him hostage. It's not right. I think the Colts did the right move when they moved on from Peyton - let him go where he wants - he has earned that right by creating countless millionaires in GB and keeping many folks employed and keeping the Packers a wildly successful and consistent team over his tenure.

run pMc
04-15-2023, 09:05 AM
I don't think they are holding him hostage. I think he sabotaged a deal. GB&NYJ had a framework in place before he went on McAfee talking about 90% leaning towards retirement, which spooked the hell out of Woody Johnson.
So now they are back to sorting out compensation, but Gute is ostensibly holding firm to the "we had a deal" perspective. Meanwhile there's all the draft stuff going on with pro day visits etc which get in the way of having conversations, and finally there isn't any real need to get it done until the draft.

If Rodgers wants to play for the Jets, they should trade him there. For cap purposes cutting him would be the terrible option, second to bringing him back as the backup.

The idea of owing loyalty is a little odd to me here, it's more about just not being a dick. Rodgers' time with GB has run its course, the team is done with his antics. No need to make things worse or awkward, especially since Rodgers has no qualms about airing his side of things publicly.

That contract extension was a bad idea. I get not trading him last year after he'd had back to back MVP seasons, but giving him that kind of money was guaranteed to destroy your cap and limit your ability to both re-sign your own players and sign any free agents. I hope they learned their lesson. People talk about Russ Ball like he's a genius, in this case he either drank idiot juice or Mark Murphy drugged him and negotiated that contract himself.

ThunderDan
04-15-2023, 09:13 AM

Bullshit!! ARod is a valuable piece. You trade him for value. If Gute flat out released ARod, I would want Gute fired tomorrow.

I said the same thing when the BF shit was going down. If you own the rights to a valuable asset you trade it for value.

This ain't an old coffee table you are giving to Goodwill.

Bretsky
04-15-2023, 09:27 AM
FROM MIKE GREENBERG (A JETS LOVER)

I have heard that Rodgers has sent signals to the Jets that there is no reason to rush, that he's not coming til May anyway so there is no reason to rush

Fritz
04-15-2023, 09:59 AM
FROM MIKE GREENBERG (A JETS LOVER)

I have heard that Rodgers has sent signals to the Jets that there is no reason to rush, that he's not coming til May anyway so there is no reason to rush

I have wondered if Arod, who is not a dumb guy, has been "helping" the Jets negotiate. Surely he'd have known that the "90% sure" he was going to retire thing would lower his trade value, as it indicated he's more likely to be one-and-done than he is to play two or more years.

And if he wants that SB ring now, or at least to have another MVP year, it behooves him - and the Jets - to have them keep as many of this year's picks as possible. Signaling publicly you were thisclose to retiring would slow the process down and help the Jets by giving them a bit of public cover for pulling back on the (supposed) earlier offer. And if Greenberg is correct, Rodgers is signaling to his not-yet-new-team that they should hold fast and wait the Packers out - thus keeping all of this year's picks, which is in Rodgers's best interests.

As to Dan and his claim about trading valuable assets and all that, and saying this isn't like some old coffee table - well, that's how Dan is treating this. Not that Rodgers is a human being who is employed by a monopoly known as the NFL and is seeking a good employment situation for himself - but is, like a coffee table, something to be bartered at the best price possible. I get it, that point of view, but it certainly treats Rodgers more like a coffee table than a human being who is trying to put himself in what he thinks is his best employment situation.

call_me_ishmael
04-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Bullshit!! ARod is a valuable piece. You trade him for value. If Gute flat out released ARod, I would want Gute fired tomorrow.

I said the same thing when the BF shit was going down. If you own the rights to a valuable asset you trade it for value.

Well so far no one wants that trade and the value. You signed the guy to start, so if you aren’t gonna facilitate a trade then you start him. I doubt that’s going to happen, so cut him loose. Forcing him to sit out for a year in his career when Gute fucked up is no acceptable IMO.

ThunderDan
04-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Well so far no one wants that trade and the value. You signed the guy to start, so if you aren’t gonna facilitate a trade then you start him. I doubt that’s going to happen, so cut him loose. Forcing him to sit out for a year in his career when Gute fucked up is no acceptable IMO.

I have never said it is ok for ARod to sit on the bench that is stupid. If you don't want him trade him. A 7th round pick is better than releasing him.

texaspackerbacker
04-15-2023, 02:03 PM
I just saw an article by a media puke named Miguel Anel Fernandez or something like that saying the Jets may be backing away from the trade hahahahahahahahahaha. Now this is no more believable than any of the rest of the crap those know-nothing bastards write, but it still is nice to see.

run pMc
04-15-2023, 04:02 PM

I 100% agree you don't give/throw him away for nothing, but determining his value is tricky in part because of age, contract, and most recent performance.
What is his value?

What is the value of a 39 year old QB who has been considering retirement the past 2-3 offseasons, has just come off his worst season as a starter, and has a $60M bonus payable before the 1st week of the season?
What is the value of a 4-time MVP QB?

You could argue the MVPs are past performance, not current value. It's possible it could approach future value, but what are the odds? Who was the last 39 year old to win MVP?

I think in a vacuum his talent and performance warrant more than a couple of Day 2 picks. His age and contract tell otherwise. That dumbass contract screws everyone in this situation IMO (except maybe Rodgers and his agent).

Bretsky
04-15-2023, 05:02 PM
I have wondered if Arod, who is not a dumb guy, has been "helping" the Jets negotiate. Surely he'd have known that the "90% sure" he was going to retire thing would lower his trade value, as it indicated he's more likely to be one-and-done than he is to play two or more years.

You are actually wondering ?

I think the shitbag absolutely knows what he's doing.

It would almost be funny if Gutebag struck back with some Dirty Pool right back at Karen.

Trade him for a bag of shit to the worst team in the NFL who will take him. Let AROD retire. That'd be maybe our best "cap" scenario.

I am not a Gutebag fan; to be honest I still don't know what I think of his overall work. But I respect the fact he's not bending over right now for the JETS, who had compensation parameters but now have welched out of that deal.

ThunderDan
04-15-2023, 08:00 PM
I 100% agree you don't give/throw him away for nothing, but determining his value is tricky in part because of age, contract, and most recent performance.
What is his value?

What is the value of a 39 year old QB who has been considering retirement the past 2-3 offseasons, has just come off his worst season as a starter, and has a $60M bonus payable before the 1st week of the season?
What is the value of a 4-time MVP QB?

You could argue the MVPs are past performance, not current value. It's possible it could approach future value, but what are the odds? Who was the last 39 year old to win MVP?

I think in a vacuum his talent and performance warrant more than a couple of Day 2 picks. His age and contract tell otherwise. That dumbass contract screws everyone in this situation IMO (except maybe Rodgers and his agent).

As I have argued in tax court against IRS lawyers, value is what you can get. Doesn’t matter if it is $1 or $1,000,000.

Obviously, it’s taking a while but eventually it will get done. But as we both agree, you don’t let him go for nothing.

red
04-15-2023, 09:35 PM
If rodgers is working behind the scenes with the jets, is this considered tampering?

Or is it anything goes because we have the jets permission to go talk to him

He’s still a packer, if he’s actively working to lower his trade value then maybe the team should file tampering changes with the league

Would be funny if the jets get stripped of multiple first round picks, and don’t even get rodgers

bobblehead
04-16-2023, 01:16 AM

He signed the deal and the packers have no obligation to him other than to let him play it out in GB if nothin else.

bobblehead
04-16-2023, 01:19 AM
He made market rate money - if not less. He certainly would have made more as a FA. I don't like the argument that he made crazy money. It seems sort of silly to me. I don't see how it's relevant!

The Packers can't cut him - I agree - and Rodgers likely doesn't want to be cut anyway since he has such a phat deal and wouldn't get it again.

The point is the Packers signed him to a contract and Rodgers was willing to honor that - the Packers are not. As such, they should do right by the player IMO. We can agree to disagree.

We know nothing of what each side has said to each other. I suspect this deal was signed with the idea that if either side wanted to move on they would agree to work together to make it equitable for both. But I don't know that anymore than you do for certain.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2023, 12:05 PM

Is that what you woulda been saying after either of the previous two seasons? Or after last season if not for the injury as well as the receivers situation? The whole bunch of ya'all haters in here seems to be blinded to that stuff. Outside of this forum, people don't seem to be that damn dumb. Probably the Jets are not. Hopefully LaFleur, Gutekunst, etc. are not.

I'm really really hoping both sides stand firm, and no trade happens. Would Rodgers then retire? I very much doubt it.

Fritz
04-16-2023, 12:35 PM
What both sides have to lose hahahaha .......

For the Jets, it's the difference between being a Super Bowl contender, one of the best teams in the NFL with Rodgers, and in the abyss - again - without him.

For the Packers, if by some miracle, Rodgers comes back and plays as well as anybody with a brain expects he can/will, they are at or very close to the absolute top of the NFL. If he is gone, no amount of high draft picks are gonna prevent them from falling to near the bottom of the league for who knows how many years without him.

So making the trade happen means everything to the Jets and nothing to the Packers - before the draft or after, before June or after, that's just the way it is.

This is the post that says it all: for you, whoever has Rodgers (Jets or Packers) is going to be great. Whoever doesn't have him is going to suck.

So if you turn out to be wrong, this is the post I'll bump. If you're right, you can bump it.

texaspackerbacker
04-16-2023, 01:08 PM
Yeah, feel free to do that. I definitely will be doing that and rubbing it in to all of ya'all when it turns out to be true. That's pretty much why I wrote it.

For the record, though, I didn't say "suck". I said "be mediocre" - they might win 6-8 games without him, the Packers I mean. The Jets without him will continue to suck.

Fritz
04-16-2023, 01:25 PM
Yeah, feel free to do that. I definitely will be doing that and rubbing it in to all of ya'all when it turns out to be true. That's pretty much why I wrote it.

For the record, though, I didn't say "suck". I said "be mediocre" - they might win 6-8 games without him, the Packers I mean. The Jets without him will continue to suck.

For me, in a seventeen-game regular season, eight or nine wins is mediocre. Six is definately suckage. Seven is, in my mind, pretty sucky, too.

Joemailman
04-17-2023, 03:17 PM
Rodgers arriving in snowy Green Bay for offseason workouts. Maybe Tex was right!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1648036237389754386

run pMc
04-17-2023, 03:59 PM
Rodgers arriving in snowy Green Bay for offseason workouts. Maybe Tex was right!

Funny!
He never shows up for these, not about to start now.
They'd send him home anyway, can't risk him getting hurt pre-trade.

run pMc
04-17-2023, 04:00 PM
If rodgers is working behind the scenes with the jets, is this considered tampering?

Or is it anything goes because we have the jets permission to go talk to him

He’s still a packer, if he’s actively working to lower his trade value then maybe the team should file tampering changes with the league

Would be funny if the jets get stripped of multiple first round picks, and don’t even get rodgers

There is a rumor -- I hesitate mentioning it -- that Rodgers has told the Jets to hold firm on their side for trade comp. I'm starting to think Rodgers and Gute don't like each other. ;)
Honestly I think it will get done on draft day. No big rush until then.

texaspackerbacker
04-17-2023, 05:11 PM

Good News if true. A wife beater shirt, and sunny sky with snow falling ...... I'm no expert on photoshopping, but that seems a little suspicious.

sharpe1027
04-17-2023, 06:18 PM
Good News if true. A wife beater shirt, and sunny sky with snow falling ...... I'm no expert on photoshopping, but that seems a little suspicious.

God damn media pukes.

Bretsky
04-17-2023, 07:44 PM

They only win 8 with him. So sounds about the same then :)

Bretsky
04-17-2023, 07:52 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/titans-have-reached-out-to-packers-on-aaron-rodgers-trade/ar-AA19XA4r?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b4dbb1e7f157424795ddc46e28f25f14&ei=7

Perhaps Tennessee gets into the mix ?

Joemailman
04-17-2023, 08:11 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/titans-have-reached-out-to-packers-on-aaron-rodgers-trade/ar-AA19XA4r?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b4dbb1e7f157424795ddc46e28f25f14&ei=7

Perhaps Tennessee gets into the mix ?

Still think 49ers are more likely. Purdy says he doesn't know if he will play this year.

Bretsky
04-17-2023, 09:11 PM
Still think 49ers are more likely. Purdy says he doesn't know if he will play this year.

How many years does Aiyuk have on his current contract ? He could be a piece to the deal

Joemailman
04-17-2023, 09:34 PM
How many years does Aiyuk have on his current contract ? He could be a piece to the deal

He's in the last year of his contract.

red
04-17-2023, 10:48 PM
that would be awesome to ship him to one of those 2 teams after the jets changed their offer

i'd say if one of those two offers the same shit deal that the jets are offering, then i say we send him to one of those 2

even if its in the nfc to the 49ers, i don't care

RashanGary
04-18-2023, 07:53 AM
that would be awesome to ship him to one of those 2 teams after the jets changed their offer

i'd say if one of those two offers the same shit deal that the jets are offering, then i say we send him to one of those 2

even if its in the nfc to the 49ers, i don't care

If the jets are being pricks, im fine taking a little less just to fuck them. But the real fuckening went down last year when 12 forced that contract!

Fritz
04-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Nothing like other teams showing interest to remind Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas that they don't have the rights to Aaron Rodgers's services just yet.

SudsMcBucky
04-18-2023, 12:39 PM
There is a rumor -- I hesitate mentioning it -- that Rodgers has told the Jets to hold firm on their side for trade comp. I'm starting to think Rodgers and Gute don't like each other. ;)
Honestly I think it will get done on draft day. No big rush until then.

If I were in charge of the Pack, I would NEVER deal with the fucking Jets ever again. This is low-rent action.

red
04-18-2023, 08:25 PM
draft night might be interesting

say a team doesn't like anything of value at their pick, and they just say "fuck it, what about rodgers?"

Bretsky
04-18-2023, 09:32 PM
draft night might be interesting

say a team doesn't like anything of value at their pick, and they just say "fuck it, what about rodgers?"

REAL QUESTION

Karen doesn't have a "no trade" clause

So trade his ass, watch him retire....isn't that the best case for our cap ????

sharpe1027
04-18-2023, 10:50 PM
No team will give up anything of value if they aren't pretty damn sure he won't retire.

run pMc
04-21-2023, 03:31 PM
Correct. No team is going to trade anything of value for a QB that will promptly retire on them.

Here's some snark from Tanier:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/things-do-while-waiting-aaron-rodgers

This was interesting:

Fans who are truly over-the-moon about Rodgers’ pending arrival can pick the Jets to win the AFC East at +260 (The Buffalo Bills are the favorites at +125); the AFC at +900 (the Kansas City Chiefs are the favorites at +380); or the Super Bowl at +1400 (Chiefs, +600). Again, these numbers have been more-or-less sticky for nearly a month.

Rodgers is getting +1600 odds for the 2023 Most Valuable Player award, and if things go very specifically haywire, current Jets quarterback Zach Wilson is getting +5000 odds for Comeback Player of the Year. You can do it, Zach! Prove the doubters wrong!

Those odds say a thing or two about what the bookies think of Rodgers at this point of his career.

red
04-22-2023, 09:56 PM
No team will give up anything of value if they aren't pretty damn sure he won't retire.

there is like less the 1% chance he's gonna retire. i don't care what the drama queen says about being 90% retired

he's not giving up the 58 million, even if he gets shipped to the texans or some other mismanaged mess

2nd. tom brady is also currently retired, meaning if karen retires, they both go into the HOF on the same day. erins ego won't allow he to be second fiddle on induction day

sharpe1027
04-22-2023, 10:16 PM
there is like less the 1% chance he's gonna retire. i don't care what the drama queen says about being 90% retired

he's not giving up the 58 million, even if he gets shipped to the texans or some other mismanaged mess

2nd. tom brady is also currently retired, meaning if karen retires, they both go into the HOF on the same day. erins ego won't allow he to be second fiddle on induction day

That assumes Brady is a first ballot inductee. Was he that good?

Joemailman
04-22-2023, 10:24 PM

More of a game manager.

red
04-22-2023, 10:33 PM

and it assumes he stays retired this time

Joemailman
04-24-2023, 09:37 PM
Congratulations to beveaux1, George Cumby, Jaire, jklowan, Joemailman, KYPack, NewsBruin, RashanGary, Spaulding, and Upnorth for picking the Jets.