PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices where you live?

Pages : [1] 2

GBRulz
04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Ok, I know some of you on the coastal areas must be past the $3 mark now!

April 4 - Green Bay, WI $2.94

Scott Campbell
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM

I think it's around $2.40.

Bretsky
04-24-2006, 07:09 PM

I think it's around $2.40.

$3.05 here

MadtownPacker
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Cheapest gas in my area (CenCal) - $3.07

Joemailman
04-24-2006, 07:48 PM
I had chili for supper so gas is free and plentiful... :razz:

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 07:56 PM
TMI-lol.

Last I looked, 3.05.

Little Whiskey
04-24-2006, 07:57 PM
2.99 per gal.

my monthly gas bill is the second highest expense every month. only the mortgage is higher!!

GrnBay007
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
April 24th $2.79

jack's smirking revenge
04-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Anyone know if pissing in your tank actually works, because I'm about down to that option? Last I checked, Minneapolis was at $2.72. E-85 grade isn't even that much cheaper. It could've went up since I left for my business trip (we don't have the crazy gas taxes that WI has).

tyler

No Mo Moss
04-25-2006, 12:14 AM

Tyrone Bigguns
04-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Around 2.60.

Dreaming about the good ol' days of a buck sixty.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Just heard on the radio it's expected to hit $4 by the summer travel season. Ugh.

GBRulz
04-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Just heard on the radio it's expected to hit $4 by the summer travel season. Ugh.

Oh, but didn't you read the all important Yahoo! headlines this morning where the President has ordered a probe into gas prices? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Imagine these gas prices in addition to another hurricane season like last year... I might end up buying a car like the Flintstones...just gotta invest in some really good shoes.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I think my bike is gonna get a long and healthy workout this summer.

FavreChild
04-25-2006, 10:16 AM
4/25

Brookfield, WI: $3.09
Pewaukee, WI: $3.05
Johnson Creek, WI: $2.99
Lake Mills, WI: $2.94
Cottage Grove, WI: $2.91

No, I do not get reimbursed for that commute.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Will it be shorter after the move?

FavreChild
04-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Yes, but let's not even talk about what the move is gonna cost. I'm already having an irritating day, and the drive home is prohibitive to happy hour...

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Focus on the positive. Spring will come earlier for you next year. You're on a new adventure. There will always be students to take out you frustrations on. You will live closer to LaVar Arrington's hometown (hey, it worked for him). Lower astronomical heating costs. And last but not least, NFL Channel will come with the Directv dish you will buy to watch the Packers return to glory.

FavreChild
04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
And last but not least, NFL Channel will come with the Directv dish you will buy to watch the Packers return to glory.

Correction, the Directv dish my parents will buy me 'cause they feel sorry for me that I am not able to get all the Packer games.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I ain't gonna lie this gas thing has gotten a little expensive. Since when do we have pay the same price as the rest of the world? I would rather buy my gas from the totalitiaran middle eastern countries then the greedy capitalist here in america.

Tyrone Bigguns
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Apparently, I was in a time warp. Filled up this morning on mid at 3.05.

Time to buy a cycle.

oregonpackfan
04-27-2006, 03:06 PM
In suburban Portland, OR, it is now $2.89.

Along the Oregon Coast and eastern Oregon it is well over $3.00.

Oregonpackfan

Little Whiskey
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
i got this email today, talking about why gas prices won't come down!!!

While Exxon made eight billion dollars profit on three months worth's of
production or about 7%, our Federal government made sixteen billion on
the same gas through taxes (just Exxon) without finding, pumping,
shipping, processing and delivery it. We're being screwed but not by oil
companies. .

funny. not funny haha, but funny sad!

esoxx
04-27-2006, 05:12 PM
There's about .9 cents of profit built into a gallon of gas. Meanwhile, about .50 cents per gallon is there b/c of taxes. Beyond the federal tax, Wisconsin's state tax is especially high.

Charles Woodson
04-27-2006, 06:32 PM
in miami its up to 3.29

Little Whiskey
04-27-2006, 08:49 PM
i just think its funny that the oil companies are the ones taking the blame. the minimum markup on gas is 9%. every petrolium company must make 9% on each gal. of gas. it is gov't mandated. if the cost of gas is $1 per gal. the company makes $.09 on that gal. if the cost of gas doubles to $2 per gal. guess what their profit does. yep it doubles. they now make $.18 on that same gal. ththey look like the bad guys since the gov't mandates they must mark up their product nine percent.

guess who is doing the price gouging???? tell me who again needs investigating????

Scott Campbell
04-27-2006, 10:11 PM
2.49 yesterday

GBRulz
07-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Was just reading this... gosh, anything under $3 a gal now seems "cheap".

gas has been between $3.05-$3.09 for a couple weeks now. It doesn't help though that my vehicle calls for premium unleaded.

Tony Oday
07-22-2006, 10:18 AM
I dont look because what do I really need to know? I have to have it to get to work so whateve.

Im sick of gas moving so much so I say lets just raise it to $5 and fix the price for 3 years! im in to that then atleast I can budget out for gas :) Take all the extra money that the state will make on gas and invest the damn money into our economy and such to have government actually MAKE money! that would be a weird concept. Dont give it away invest it...

Badgepack
07-22-2006, 10:31 AM

gas has been between $3.05-$3.09 for a couple weeks now. It doesn't help though that my vehicle calls for premium unleaded.

What kind of high end vehicle are you driving that calls for premium GB?

CyclonePackFan
07-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Gas has been consistently between $2.88 and $3.15, most often around $2.92, down here, and I believe Houston has some of the highest gas prices in Texas. I was in Corpus Christi in late May and paid somewhere around $2.50 due to all the refineries in the area. Needless to say, I'm NOT looking forward to my 1,200 mile drive when I move back to Wisconsin from Houston next Saturday.

On a semirelated note, I recall hearing a news story about a half a year ago when I was back home about a certain gas station in the Twin Cities. They offer gasoline as a commodity, meaning, for example, if I bought 100 gallons today at, say, $2.92, I would pay $2.92 for my gas until I went through all 100 gallons, regardless of the current price of gas. They had a person on there who bought about $5,000 worth of gas when it was $0.99/gallon 5 years ago, so he's still paying $0.99 today, while everyone else he knows is paying around $3. Needless to say, I'm jealous.

MJZiggy
07-22-2006, 08:02 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/21/AR2006072101515.html

Here's the alternative. Give it a year or two. It will come down in price.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/07/21/PH2006072101579.jpg

CyclonePackFan
07-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm STILL waiting for my fuel cell car....I recall BMW was looking to put one out for $50,000 in 2008, but I sincerely doubt Exxon Mobil will allow any sort of reliable fuel cell system on the market, much less allow H2 stations for fueling. Stupid Laws of Thermodynamics making fuel cells so impractical. For now, my '96 Civic still gets better mileage than most cars on the market, but once I get out of grad school, I'm probably going for the diesel Jetta, unless there is a major decrease in the cost/availability of Hybrids.

I hate oil companies. :evil:

OKC PackerFan
07-22-2006, 08:26 PM
$2.76 here.

GBRulz
07-22-2006, 10:47 PM

What kind of high end vehicle are you driving that calls for premium GB?

an '05 Pathfinder. I seriously do get about 2-3 miles per gallon better when I put the premium in. last trip from the northwoods, i was getting 24-25 MPG on the highway. Pretty damn good for an SUV of this size. Before this I had the Xterra, which is smaller and it got horrible gas mileage.

GBRulz
07-22-2006, 10:52 PM
cyclone, I know exactly what you're talking about. I heard about it on the news a few months back. Basically, people bought gas at the going rate and have it stored. They go to this gas station to refuel at whatever price they bought it for. As the story below states, some people are still paying 98 cents a gallon for gas because they bought hundreds of dollars worth of gas when it was that cheap....

here is the link .....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12615091/

woodbuck27
07-22-2006, 10:52 PM
It's today - about $4.40 Cdn. / US Gallon.

CyclonePackFan
07-22-2006, 11:10 PM
cyclone, I know exactly what you're talking about. I heard about it on the news a few months back. Basically, people bought gas at the going rate and have it stored. They go to this gas station to refuel at whatever price they bought it for. As the story below states, some people are still paying 98 cents a gallon for gas because they bought hundreds of dollars worth of gas when it was that cheap....

here is the link .....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12615091/

Wow, nice find. I just searched the Twin Cities news stations, I had no idea it made MSNBC.

Fosco33
07-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Please send some gas my way - it's at least 3.25+ in SoCal for the cheap stuff.

Keep this in perspective - ask yourself how much a gallon of soda would cost (or replace soda with practically any liquid - including WATER).

I haven't asked my bro-in-law (lives in London) - but its almost twice as much there.

How high would gas have to be before you changed your driving habits dramactically??? Then, and only then, will behavior force change.

Partial
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
i'm thinking it's biodeisel time. Gives farmers jobs, renewable resource. Sounds good to me!

3.25 yesteday. Outrageous!

Badgepack
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Gas war going on at 2 stations in town today, they are down to $0.49 per gallon. I am not fighting that crowd to save $50.00 though.

GBRulz
07-27-2006, 04:33 PM
How high would gas have to be before you changed your driving habits dramactically??? Then, and only then, will behavior force change.

I guess I can't really say a set price, Fosco. I need my vehicle for my job and to visit clients. However, the current price has caused me to be more "smart" when I drive. Whether it's slowing down from 65 to 60, running errands in one trip or not taking off from a traffic light like it's Talledega...

People are going to drive regardless, it's other areas where they will be cutting out spending.

In the small town where the family goes out for a Friday night Fish fry, they aren't going anymore. So, the restaurant suffers as well. Soon the more serious effects of gas prices are going to be felt. In fact I think I just read where last quarter retail spending was down 6% or something.

GBRulz
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
oh, it's that time of year again!!! Just curious if anyone is actually below $3 a gallon out there?

I just turned in my old wheels this weekend and bought a new car that is going to get double the gas mileage of my SUV. Gosh, I'm getting practical in my old age :wink:

GBRulz
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
gas here in Green Bay $3.09 gal

Joemailman
05-06-2007, 09:36 PM
3.12 in Wausau

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
$2.94 (also had $0.08/gallon coupon), so I'm getting a real bargain.
:D

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
If if find just the right station, $2.95.

falco
05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
3.12 in Wausau

joe is going to save gas by only delivering my mail every other day

CyclonePackFan
05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
$2.85 most places in SE Houston, down to $2.60 if I buy a car wash with it.

GBRulz
05-06-2007, 10:44 PM
3.12 in Wausau

Postal workers get enough holidays as it is. :lol: :twisted:

MJZiggy
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
3.12 in Wausau

Postal workers get enough holidays as it is. :lol: :twisted:

Bicycle...

Freak Out
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Free diesel from work... :D

It's around $2.74 in Anchorage, Unleaded is .10 more.

MadtownPacker
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
$3.35
Thats in central California.

Zool
05-07-2007, 11:32 AM
They just grab your wallet and punch you in the face now at the gas station. If this doesnt increase the push for alternate fuel, nothing will.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
$3.35
Thats in central California.

at the gas station, or black market? :twisted: :P

Badgepack
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Free diesel from work... :D

It's around $2.74 in Anchorage, Unleaded is .10 more.

I get free car and gas from work for both personal use and job usage, which is real nice. Doesn't help on the Mrs'. Jeep thou.

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
$3.36 for premium, $3.16 for reg. :(

Just read an article on MSNBC, glad to see that we here in CT are above the national average.

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
$2.88 in SWFL.

Then again, that's at Sam's Club, which you have to have a membership to use.

The average, publicly, is around $2.95.

Guiness
05-07-2007, 05:24 PM
It's today - about $4.40 Cdn. / US Gallon.

Same, same. $1.05...per litre. That $3.97/US Gallon.##

Meh - cost of living.

oregonpackfan
05-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Averaging about $3.34 for regular in the Portland, OR Metro area.

packinpatland
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Looks like both coasts are getting whacked.

hurleyfan
05-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Looks ike John Q Public is getting srewed!

I hate the fact it's costing us over 3 dollars a gallon for gas when the fvcking arabs are building ski centers in the fvcking desert, they are building "palm tree" shaped islands in the ocean, the fvcking Venezuelan's are sitting on their "I'm not the problem" political stance, and the greatest country in the world is being held hostage to these frecking sell out to big business companies!!

UGH

retailguy
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM

Looks ike John Q Public is getting srewed!

I hate the fact it's costing us over 3 dollars a gallon for gas when the fvcking arabs are building ski centers in the fvcking desert, they are building "palm tree" shaped islands in the ocean, the fvcking Venezuelan's are sitting on their "I'm not the problem" political stance, and the greatest country in the world is being held hostage to these frecking sell out to big business companies!!

UGH

Good night... THATS NOT THE PROBLEM.

The problem is refining capacity, and laws (especially in this country) that prevent drilling. There's all kinds of oil off the coast of Santa Barbara California, but the damn environmentalists won't let anyone drill for it. Remember ALASKA? Can't drill there either because of the fricking CARIBOU. There has not been a new refinery built in this country in almost 30 years of any significant size.

Then, you're SHOCKED we're dependent on foreign sources of crude? C'mon. John Q. Public is too STUPID to get screwed. He thinks, on the one hand, that drilling off the coast and in the caribou land is not wise, then bitches because the only places to get crude is from overseas... Sounds pretty hypocritical to me... John Q. is holding HIMSELF hostage.

I guarantee you that at $60. per bbl. of crude some entrepenuer would bust his ass getting the crude out of the ground off California or out of Alaska.

Supply & Demand as a concept works... If you have more crude, what happens to the PRICE? If you refine more oil into gasoline and have a stockpile, what happens to the PRICE? This shit ain't tough...

Don't you realize that this is all part of the evironmentalist plan? Using oil is EVIL. Pay up, John Q. No one else will...

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
they are building "palm tree" shaped islands in the ocean

Not only that, they are building another group of islands to spell out a famous Islamic Poem.

Well, America, that's what happens when you rely on a non-renewable fuel source. Eventually, you get bit in the ass.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, America, that's what happens when you rely on a non-renewable fuel source. Eventually, you get bit in the ass.

Got bad news for you bud.... You're one of US now... (Pun intended)

We are our own worst enemy. The "energy" crisis is largely self inflicted. If we just realized we don't have to DRILL ONE barrel of oil. We just have to pass a LAW that we CAN. Prices would drop overnight... most likely.

We just have to encourage the oil companies to build a few refineries and the supply problem subsides just a bit...

Or, we just have to be willing to give up our cars, and ride the buses and the trains, which is where us "little people" belong.

'Course being from the UK, you'd agree with that point, wouldn't you?

BallHawk
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
The UK is doing it the right way. To park a normal car it's 10 pounds, to park an SUV it's 20 pounds. You hardly see SUVs in England because the country has successfully managed to stop them from becoming popular in the first place. Obviously, the size of the UK is minuscule to the size of the US, but the public transportation in the US is not where it needs to be.

Also, Americans should try doing a form of transportation called walking. It's quite amazing, really. It doesn't cost anything and it doesn't destroy the environment! Also, it helps you lose weight (Which, being the fattest country in the world, wouldn't hurt, a bit, y'know.)

And building more oil refineries is just adding to the problem. I am by no means an environmentalist, but we can't just dig more into the reserves and the environment to save us each time the prices spike. Eventually, the oil will run out, and when it does, this country will not be prepared to face the harsh reality. We are an oil nation, we live and die on oil, and the way it is looking now, we are going to die on it.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
The UK is doing it the right way. To park a normal car it's 10 pounds, to park an SUV it's 20 pounds. You hardly see SUVs in England because the country has successfully managed to stop them from becoming popular in the first place. Obviously, the size of the UK is minuscule to the size of the US, but the public transportation in the US is not where it needs to be.

Also, Americans should try doing a form of transportation called walking. It's quite amazing, really. It doesn't cost anything and it doesn't destroy the environment! Also, it helps you lose weight (Which, being the fattest country in the world, wouldn't hurt, a bit, y'know.)

And building more oil refineries is just adding to the problem. I am by no means an environmentalist, but we can't just dig more into the reserves and the environment to save us each time the prices spike. Eventually, the oil will run out, and when it does, this country will not be prepared to face the harsh reality. We are an oil nation, we live and die on oil, and the way it is looking now, we are going to die on it.

It has been proven that there are literally hundreds of years of oil remaining. That's really not the issue. There will be alternatives to oil. They are in development.

You are forgetting one thing about England. While it is a free society, it is not based on freedom. There is no equivalent "bill of rights". The English society will "tolerate" intrusions to freedom that this country will not

The solutions need to be different.

Alternative energy needs to lead it. What that means is that Americans either need to tolerate 3 to 4 dollar gasoline, OR, they need to vote for politicians and laws that allow refineries to be built and oil reserves to be mined.

End of the line, they need to quit "bitching" about solutions they are "TOLD" without investigating them. That's currently what is going on.

I know this Ballhawk, you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off the biggest damn SUV I can find... I will NEVER utilize mass transit, because I value my freedom. I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to do that. I'm also willing to invest in alternative energies....

Scott Campbell
05-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I know this Ballhawk, you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off the biggest damn SUV I can find...

I drive a big truck that gets lousy mileage, because I wan't to get my share of the gas before we run out.

retailguy
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
I know this Ballhawk, you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off the biggest damn SUV I can find...

I drive a big truck that gets lousy mileage, because I wan't to get my share of the gas before we run out.

:P We can always count on you Scott.

GrnBay007
05-07-2007, 11:23 PM
$2.99 I think. Really who cares...it's one of those things u purchase because u need. Of course my car gets good gas mileage. :P

Merlin
05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Retail has hit the nail on the head in regards to gas. I have do have some additions.

1) Oil is a commodity which means it is freely traded and it's price affects what you pay at the pump

2) Because our government does not let the oil companies operate like a free market business, the prices are somewhat fixed by the government. This means that it is illegal for "price wars" to happen in a lot of states.

3) Wisconsin has a minimum markup law for gas. This was designed to keep the little guy in business but has screwed the consumer.

4) There has not been a new oil refinery built since 1976. Oil companies no longer want to deal with the environmentalists because this is always a lengthy and costly legal battle and by the time they win, 10 years have been wasted.

5) Wisconsin has a minimum gas tax increase each year. I believe it's 2 something percent. Governor Doyle vetoed legislation in 2005 by our elected officials that would have put this tax increase on hold until the market settled down.

6) There are over 15 different types of gasoline being produced. When refineries have to change to summer blends (when the oxygenated fuels are required by law to go into effect in those regions), the refineries just do not have the capacity to keep up with all of the different fuel types.

7) Ethanol, corn based, although a good idea, drives up the prices on corn which is already subsidized by the federal government. Meaning that we are paying twice for it, once through taxes and once when you buy it (and again pay a tax on it). Mandating 10% ethanol like Wisconsin does is one of those 15 or so types of gas. The Milwaukee area has it's own special summer blend as well.

There are two solutions I see to this.

1) Produce 2 or 3 types of gas and that's it. No more boutique blends.
2) Allow oil companies to drill for new oil, build refineries and operate as a true free market business.

Either of those will drive the price of gas down by a lot.

And the average American is stupid enough to buy the "oil company record profit" crap even though the government(s) make 3-4 times that amount.

Freak Out
05-08-2007, 02:02 PM
My entire adult life has been intertwined with global oil prices and there are many reasons why prices rise and fall. Politics/instability (war falls in that category) is today’s problem, but there are many other things that cause prices to rise and fall. Our ability to refine oil into gasoline and other products and supposed lack of exploration is not why unleaded is $3.00 a gallon. Wake the fuck up people.

There are MANY documents from MANY sources that track crude prices and explain why it is where it’s at. Here is just one.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/AOMC/Overview.html

Merlin
05-08-2007, 07:27 PM
My entire adult life has been intertwined with global oil prices and there are many reasons why prices rise and fall. Politics/instability (war falls in that category) is today’s problem, but there are many other things that cause prices to rise and fall. Our ability to refine oil into gasoline and other products and supposed lack of exploration is not why unleaded is $3.00 a gallon. Wake the fuck up people.

There are MANY documents from MANY sources that track crude prices and explain why it is where it’s at. Here is just one.

Politics plays a role because the enviro-wackos (moveon.org, etc.) have the Democrats in their pockets, thus, no refineries are built, no oil exploration, etc. Also, a lot of the big name politicians ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISLE have investments in oil so of course their votes are going to be for putting money in their pocket. The price of oil, not gasoline, is driven by OPEC. They decide when to increase or decrease production, not the US Government. Other countries consumption plays a role, China for example.

For you to use partially the same argument and then say it isn't production or exploration is contradictory. Which is it? Oh that's right, WE need to "wake the fuck up". According to your own argument, you both support and detract from everyone else's argument. I think you need to wake the fuck up.

Freak Out
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Politics plays a role because the enviro-wackos (moveon.org, etc.) have the Democrats in their pockets, thus, no refineries are built, no oil exploration, etc. Also, a lot of the big name politicians ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISLE have investments in oil so of course their votes are going to be for putting money in their pocket. The price of oil, not gasoline, is driven by OPEC. They decide when to increase or decrease production, not the US Government. Other countries consumption plays a role, China for example.

For you to use partially the same argument and then say it isn't production or exploration is contradictory. Which is it? Oh that's right, WE need to "wake the fuck up". According to your own argument, you both support and detract from everyone else's argument. I think you need to wake the fuck up.

You give the enviro-wackos to much credit, they and their "political puppets" have been unable to stop any meaningful exploration or production, and that includes ANWR (just another reserve with easy access) and OPEC is no where near as powerful as it used to be.

Brando19
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
It's $2.95 here in southern WV.

BooHoo
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
$3.27

Kiwon
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
At a cheaper gas station in Korea (fuel is sold in liters) the prices work out to....

Regular: $6.11 a gallon
Diesel: $4.89 a gallon

Brando19
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
At a cheaper gas station in Korea (fuel is sold in liters) the prices work out to....

Regular: $6.11 a gallon
Diesel: $4.89 a gallon

Wow....

digitaldean
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM
$3.19 in Kimberly (25 miles south of Titletown).

Personally, we need to have a two-pronged solution to this problem.

1.) Encourage more drilling in ANWAR and off the coast of the US. For crying out loud, China is drilling 60 miles off the coast of Florida.
http://washingtontimes.com/business/20060724-122242-7824r.htm

2.) We need to focus on renewable sources like we focused on getting to the moon in the 60s. A true national commitment with free enterprise involved will help get us to the end of being dependent on foreign energy sources. Look, if Brazil can switch over to sugarcane based biofuel, so can we.

These aren't the only solutions, but they sure beat the stupid "gas-out" some people plan on participating in. What a joke!

If you want to cut emissions/energy usage, turn off unneeded lights in your home or other things. I park my Dakota pickup and bike on most days. If I have errands to do in locally, I take my bike and a backpack. If it's too far or I can't carry what I need in my backpack, I take my van or truck.

If my wife or I need to visit family across town, we walk there. Now some of these things won't work for everybody. But, if average people don't take action themselves, we won't curb gas consumption.

Little Whiskey
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I love it when i hear the politicians get up on their soap boxes and yell and scream how they are going to investigate these evil oil companies.

who is the evil "big Business"?

the one who reserches, develops, drills, transports, refines, delivers, sells, and employees and gains profits.........or the one who does none of these items but still gains profits.

gov't mandates a min. markup. I believe Wisc.'s is 9.2%. add to that the other stupid fees and taxes as well as sales tax. and now the gov'ner wants to issue a tax directly on the oil companies......who the hell does he think is going to pay for it???? but he is fighting for justice from BIG OIL!

Merlin
05-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Jim Doyle is the biggest crook in the state. He and his cronies are doing their best to insure that our children get all the money they need to become liberal clones via the public school system. He ripped off money from the health care funding to help pay for more public school projects. The teachers in Wisconsin have some of the best benefits in the country but their salaries are capped at a mere $60,000 for 8 months worth of actual work. Must be rough to make the equivalent of $90,000 a year. Oh yeah, the public schools need new computers every year as well.

GoPackGo
05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
$3.11

rdanomly
05-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Jim Doyle is the biggest crook in the state. He and his cronies are doing their best to insure that our children get all the money they need to become liberal clones via the public school system. He ripped off money from the health care funding to help pay for more public school projects. The teachers in Wisconsin have some of the best benefits in the country but their salaries are capped at a mere $60,000 for 8 months worth of actual work. Must be rough to make the equivalent of $90,000 a year. Oh yeah, the public schools need new computers every year as well.

You can come down here to Indiana, you'd love it. Cheap taxes, tons of conservatives, and a public school system that sucks in the inner cities and doesn't totally suck in the suburbs. Mitch Daniels is doing everything he can to lease out as much publicly ran institutions to the private sector. It hasn't been my cup of tea, but it sounds it might be right up your alley.

Freak Out
05-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Has anyone noticed any stations running out of product or any rationing going on anywhere in the US?

BooHoo
05-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Just paid $3.35

Brando19
05-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Now it's down to $2.90 here in WV.

GBRulz
05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I just filled up in GB before I head out of town for the week. $3.25/gal.

LL2
05-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I paid 3.15 this morning to my surprise. In Chicagoland I’ve seen it range from 3.15 to 3.69. Last week I was in Florida and saw 2.85. I think the main reason for the big difference in prices in state gas taxes.

LL2
05-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I’m glad I filled up at 3.15 in the morning. One the way home from work the same gas station had unleaded for 3.49!

LL2
05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Gas prices in Illinois are the highest in the country! Even higher
than California. Gas Prices are also higher than any time in history.
Even after you adjust the prices for infation gas is higher than it
was in 1981 during the oil crunch.

packinpatland
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
In Ct, we are averaging $3.39. Highest I've seen is $3.69 at a Shell, lowest was $3.09 at Getty. Shell was on the shore, Getty, about 45 miles inland.

oregonpackfan
05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Gas is now averaging $3.50 a gallon here in the Portland, OR Metro area.

On the radio this morning, one prognosticator predicted we would be have $4.00 a gallon gas by mid-summer. :(

packinpatland
05-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Prettt bad when it actually IS cheaper to fly across country.

Flight from Providence to Phoenix is $205.00!

MJZiggy
05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm glad my flights to Milwaukee and Green Bay are already paid for. I can see airfare rising quickly cause of this.

packinpatland
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
No kiddding. :roll:

Freak Out
05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
A bombing in Turkey, fighting in Lebanon, continuing violence in Iraq, Kidnappings galore in the Niger delta, Putin, Chavez.......Osama could get his wish of $100 barrel of oil soon.

Joemailman
05-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Over the last year, gas prices have gone up 33%, yet the price of oil is lower than it was a year ago. The price of oil isn't the only think driving the price of gas.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
How much tax is in the price of a gallon of gasoline?

Joemailman
05-22-2007, 09:41 PM
The average in Wisconsin is 51.3 cpg.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Fiscal%20Facts/gas-tax-690px.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2007, 09:44 PM

When did this image get created?

Joemailman
05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
My mistake. August 2005

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/1054.html

LL2
05-23-2007, 06:53 AM

If politician's really wanted to help consumers they would at least temporarily cut this tax in half. I know gas is taxed differently in each state. Politician's are not going to reduce their tax revenue anymore than big oil is going to cut their record profits.

packinpatland
05-23-2007, 08:03 AM
In other words, in CT, it's just going to get more expensive to drive. :(

Other taxes include gross receipts earnings tax collected at wholesale. Pursuant to SB 2000 passed in 2005, the gross receipts earnings tax increased by .5 cpg, from 5.8% to 6.3% on 7/1/06. Future increases are as follows: from 6.3% to 7% on 7/1/07, from 7% to 7.5% on 7/1/08 and from 7.5% to 8.1% on 7/1/13.

Partial
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
This is getting to the point where it is simply outrageous. 3.59 a gallon in Milwaukee. Why is nothing changing or going on with this?

I feel like the government is making a ton of money on gas. The oil companies are as well. I also feel like the gas stations and consumers are getting screwed.

Berkley and UW should double or triple their efforts to come up with an energy-efficient method of splitting water. They are making huge strides and are close to reducing the input energy to equal the output energy.

Freak Out
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
This is getting to the point where it is simply outrageous. 3.59 a gallon in Milwaukee. Why is nothing changing or going on with this?

I feel like the government is making a ton of money on gas. The oil companies are as well. I also feel like the gas stations and consumers are getting screwed.

Berkley and UW should double or triple their efforts to come up with an energy-efficient method of splitting water. They are making huge strides and are close to reducing the input energy to equal the output energy.

It would be interesting to see the numbers on how many tax incentives are given to oil companies to develop/explore whatever compared to how much money is given to AMERICAN Universities to find an alternative source of energy.

Joemailman
05-23-2007, 08:09 PM
3.45 in Wausau. That means it's probably over 3.50 in the northwoods.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
3.14 here

MJZiggy
05-24-2007, 07:25 AM

GBRulz
05-24-2007, 11:41 AM

$3.49 here in the Northwoods. (Eagle River)

I've been working up here the past 3 weeks and businesses are already off to a much slower start for tourists. Memorial Weekend is usually the kick-off of the tourist season up here. Many resorts and hotels are less than 25% full, which is VERY unusual. Weather wise, it's not supposed to be very nice. Top that off with tourists having to cut costs because they can't afford to drive up here anymore...well, I feel really bad for the businesses up here that depend on tourist dollars to survive. The high gas costs certainly have a trickle-down theory that is going to really be felt for many months to come. Driving up here is only part of it. Take a guess at what the marina's are charging per gallon for gas up here on the chain? a few at $6+ a gallon. Now THAT is price gauging and those assholes should be penalized for it.

What irritates me most is that NOTHING is being done about the situation. My hell, if gas goes down to $2.50 a gal, we'll be saying how cheap gas is! Something is very wrong with that picture.

MJZiggy
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
There was talk this week about strictly enforcing gouging restrictions. Now I wonder if that was locally here or whether it applied to marinas or just gas stations...

packinpatland
05-24-2007, 12:05 PM

I've been working up here the past 3 weeks and businesses are already off to a much slower start for tourists. Memorial Weekend is usually the kick-off of the tourist season up here. Many resorts and hotels are less than 25% full, which is VERY unusual. Weather wise, it's not supposed to be very nice. Top that off with tourists having to cut costs because they can't afford to drive up here anymore...well, I feel really bad for the businesses up here that depend on tourist dollars to survive. The high gas costs certainly have a trickle-down theory that is going to really be felt for many months to come. Driving up here is only part of it. Take a guess at what the marina's are charging per gallon for gas up here on the chain? a few at $6+ a gallon. Now THAT is price gauging and those assholes should be penalized for it.

What irritates me most is that NOTHING is being done about the situation. My hell, if gas goes down to $2.50 a gal, we'll be saying how cheap gas is! Something is very wrong with that picture.

I'm not disagreeing that prices are needing to be more regulated. There should be no gouging. Gas for a boat should cost the same as for a car. Gas is gas.

But think about it, my car has a 14 gallon tank, at $3.00, it would cost $42.00 to fill. Add another $1, to $4.00 a gallon, it costs $56.00 to fill. If you can't afford an increment of $14-20, maybe you can't afford to go on vacation.
We in the US are just starting to see prices that Europe and the rest of the world have for a long time. You just don't see large cars in Europe. They are not all driving hy-brids, just smaller cars.

GBRulz
05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
PIP, look at the whole picture though. When President Bush took office, gas was at $1.15 per gallon. Let's say a family drives from central IL to northern WI, towing their boat with their truck - which is about 800 miles round trip. Almost 3 fill-ups for that vacation. a few years ago, they filled up their truck for $23. Today? $75. Multiply the $52 difference x 3...we're up to $106. Let's add in the gas for the boat. Easily another $200 difference. So, this weekend trip is now costing $375 more than the same trip a few years back.

Weekend trips are very popular with families who either don't have the time to take a trip down to Disney, or they simply cannot afford something like that. So, yes - your $20 increases per fill-up is making it where some cannot afford to go on vacation.

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 12:40 PM
The sad thing is that no matter how much people complain, it doesn't really affect most peoples day-to-day lives as much as they'd like you to think. People complained when it went over $1 gallon in the 70s. They complained when it went over $2/gallon in the 80s. Of course, when you figure out fuel efficiency improvements

My suggestion is to buy a house close to where you work, and don't drive so much. Seems to work in Europe. Of course, that's not really feasible here.

These $3/gallon prices suck, but the article is still pertinent today--although prices have increased since this article was written, but not by enough to skew the results of the findings all that much.

Gas prices too high? Not by historical standards
By Mark J. Perry, USA Today

If you're like most Americans, you have probably found yourself complaining lately about the high price of gasoline — especially if you just spent a day or two in the car over Memorial Day weekend.

A USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll in May found that 59% of those surveyed said high gas prices had caused a hardship on them.

You might even find yourself longing for the good old days of cheap gas. If so, think again. Gas prices today, by any measure that adjusts for inflation and rising real income, are a bargain.

Gas prices appear to be at a historical high, and prices of the past appear to be cheap (17 cents per gallon in the 1930s, a quarter in the 1950s and 50 cents in the 1970s). But this is a classic example of "money illusion." In real inflation-adjusted dollars, gas prices are the same or lower today than in most previous decades.

Measured in real dollars, gas prices peaked in March 1981 at more than $3 per gallon. We have not even come close to paying the highest real gas price in history — today's prices are still 30% below the all-time high.

We can compare gas prices over time by calculating the cost of 1,000 gallons of gas purchased at the average price in a given year, as a percentage of per-capita disposable income in that year. For example, in 1935, when gas prices were 17 cents per gallon and annual disposable income was $466, the cost of 1,000 gallons of gas was 36% of average disposable income. Today, it takes less than 7% of our disposable income to buy 1,000 gallons of gas at the current $2.10 a gallon. The "cheap" gas of the '60s and '70s cost about 12% as a share of income.

Prices stable

Gas prices since the mid-1980s have not only been more affordable as a share of income than at any time, they also have been remarkably stable. The recent small increase in gas prices relative to income is fairly insignificant.

Further, we can avoid money illusion by pricing gas in "minutes of work at the average wage per gallon of gas," instead of dollars per gallon. Priced in minutes per gallon, you certainly wouldn't be longing for yesteryear's gas prices.

A typical American working today at the average hourly wage of $17.50 works about seven minutes to buy a gallon of gas for $2.10. In contrast, the average worker in the 1930s worked more than 20 minutes to buy a gallon of gas. During the 1940s, it took 12 minutes of work. During the 1950s, it took about 10 minutes per gallon.

Cost in minutes

Americans are paying about the same for gas in minutes per gallon today (7.2 minutes) as during the 1970s, when the retail price was only 40 cents per gallon, and much less than during the early 1980s (more than 10 minutes per gallon) when real gas prices peaked.

Finally, consider the consumers in most other countries. With the exception of members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, such as Iran, U.S. gas prices are lower than almost anywhere in the world.

Go to Europe and you'll pay from $5 to $7 per gallon — even in Finland and the United Kingdom, which are major oil producers and exporters. In Mexico, the world's fourth-largest oil producer, they pay $3.20 per gallon, about the same as in India, Brazil and Singapore.

Consumers might have a lot of gripes to justifiably complain about, but the illusory high price of gas is not one of them.

The good old days of cheap U.S. gas are here now.

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 12:45 PM
PIP, look at the whole picture though. When President Bush took office, gas was at $1.15 per gallon. Let's say a family drives from central IL to northern WI, towing their boat with their truck - which is about 800 miles round trip. Almost 3 fill-ups for that vacation. a few years ago, they filled up their truck for $23. Today? $75. Multiply the $52 difference x 3...we're up to $106. Let's add in the gas for the boat. Easily another $200 difference. So, this weekend trip is now costing $375 more than the same trip a few years back.

Weekend trips are very popular with families who either don't have the time to take a trip down to Disney, or they simply cannot afford something like that. So, yes - your $20 increases per fill-up is making it where some cannot afford to go on vacation.

Of course, when Bush took over gas prices were at the lowest price they had been (adjusted for inflaction) since before 1970. They were much higher throughout the 20 years previous (on averaged, adjusted for inflation), and they had peaked in 1981 (oil crisis) and the early 1990s (Gulf War). How much were you making in annual salary in 1981, 1991, 2001?

Comparing the price of gas in the middle of winter (when Bush took office) and the middle of summer is apples to oranges anyways (faulty statistics). It was just a few months ago that prices were in the low $2/gallon range.

The bigger problem that I see is that there really isn't a supply or demand problem right now. Companies are jacking up prices because of anticipated supply problems (e.g. they know consumers usually buy a lot more gas this time of year). That's just wrong.

GBRulz
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
ok, to be fair. I will compare summer of 2001 to now: (see below). and yes, funny how a few months ago...right around election time, gas prices were at their lowest in a couple years. The mid-term elections ended, and funny how prices have been climbing ever since. Hard for me to see that it's not about politics.

BTW, my salary in 1991 was $4.10 an hour...my first job...at McD's in HS! lol

Average price per gallon of self-serve regular
Atlanta, $1.45

Boston, $1.61

Dallas, $1.61

Los Angeles, $1.74

Miami, $1.61

Milwaukee, $1.78

St. Louis, $1.68

Source: Lundberg Survey

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 12:55 PM
ok, to be fair. I will compare summer of 2001 to now: (see below). and yes, funny how a few months ago...right around election time, gas prices were at their lowest in a couple years. The mid-term elections ended, and funny how prices have been climbing ever since. Hard for me to see that it's not about politics.

There's nothing funny about it. It's a seasonal thing. Prices go up and down every year around the same time.

Don't you think it would have also been funny that gas prices were at their lowest level in 8 years at the time when Bush took office (the election in 2000--when the Democrats controlled the White House)?

Partial
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Why does everything have to be political? I think it has much more to do with the anticipated shortage, the increasing demand due to summer, and the nationalization of Venezuelan oil fields.

The one thing we can really criticize the government about here is NOT giving adequate funds to UW, UM and UC-Berkely money to research and determine how alternate fuel sources.

GBRulz
05-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Harv, I'm not disagreeing at all that it's a seasonal thing. but each of the past couple years, we've been reaching record highs for gas, adjusted for inflation. I'm pissed because nothing is being done about it and quite honestly, what IS the reason it's so high? They really don't have one! Like you said, to raise it for anticipated short supplies is wrong. I haven't seen any signs in front of gas stations saying "Sorry, we're closed...out of gas".

HarveyWallbangers
05-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Adjusted for inflation, oil prices during the Clinton years were at their lowest during his final year in office. The rest of his time in office, prices were approximately 40% higher. Kind of hard to blame anybody. Carter was dealt a bad blow with the oil crisis. Prices actually dropped 50% during the Reagan years. Of course, there was no oil crisis during the Reagan years. Prices spiked during the first Gulf War, and then remained the same throughout Clinton's years--until his last year in office. Prices have risen pretty steadily since 9/11.

MJZiggy
05-24-2007, 04:07 PM
At least we know where to drive to...

Nation's Cheapest Gas Found in N.J.
May 24, 2007 - 4:39pm
By CHRIS NEWMARKER
Associated Press Writer

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Motorists heading out on vacation this Memorial Day weekend will find it pays to fill 'er up in New Jersey, home of the cheapest gas in the nation, according to AAA.

At an average $2.95 for a gallon of regular, New Jersey was the only state Thursday where the average price was below $3, the automobile association said.

Prices at New Jersey pumps Thursday were about 50 cents less per gallon than states with the highest prices _ Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and California.

One of the big reasons for the cheaper gas: lower gas taxes.

"The tax rate is among the lowest in the country, versus New York, which has one of the highest rates," said Ron Planting, an economist with the Washington, D.C.-based American Petroleum Institute.

According to a March API report, New Jerseyans paid 32.9 cents per gallon in state and federal taxes, the third-lowest rate in the country.

Having refineries in-state that are producing the gas helps, too, said AAA Mid-Atlantic spokesman David Weinstein, because it cuts down on the cost of getting the gas to the consumer.

Along the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway, where prices are changed once per week, a gallon of regular was going for $2.91 but was set to go up to $2.98 on Friday, according to a New Jersey Turnpike Authority spokesman.

(Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
By CHRIS NEWMARKER
Associated Press Writer

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - Motorists heading out on vacation this Memorial Day weekend will find it pays to fill 'er up in New Jersey, home of the cheapest gas in the nation, according to AAA.

At an average $2.95 for a gallon of regular, New Jersey was the only state Thursday where the average price was below $3, the automobile association said.

Prices at New Jersey pumps Thursday were about 50 cents less per gallon than states with the highest prices _ Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and California.

One of the big reasons for the cheaper gas: lower gas taxes.

"The tax rate is among the lowest in the country, versus New York, which has one of the highest rates," said Ron Planting, an economist with the Washington, D.C.-based American Petroleum Institute.

According to a March API report, New Jerseyans paid 32.9 cents per gallon in state and federal taxes, the third-lowest rate in the country.

Having refineries in-state that are producing the gas helps, too, said AAA Mid-Atlantic spokesman David Weinstein, because it cuts down on the cost of getting the gas to the consumer.

Along the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway, where prices are changed once per week, a gallon of regular was going for $2.91 but was set to go up to $2.98 on Friday, according to a New Jersey Turnpike Authority spokesman.

Iron Mike
05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
In Ct, we are averaging $3.39. Highest I've seen is $3.69 at a Shell, lowest was $3.09 at Getty. Shell was on the shore, Getty, about 45 miles inland.

Gas is expensive there, but how much is ice cream at Stew Leonard's??

http://lighthousemaps.com/Norwalk/StewLeonards.gif

Joemailman
05-24-2007, 04:38 PM

I'm not disagreeing that prices are needing to be more regulated. There should be no gouging. Gas for a boat should cost the same as for a car. Gas is gas.

Gas is always more expensive up north. However, the gas they sell for boats is a pre-mix of gasoline and oil. It is always much more expensive than regular gasoline.

packinpatland
05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Gas is always more expensive up north. However, the gas they sell for boats is a pre-mix of gasoline and oil. It is always much more expensive than regular gasoline.

But more than double??
Gas is expensive there, but how much is ice cream at Stew Leonard's??
I can honestly say I've never been to Stew's. It's a good hike down I-95, one of the worst interstates ever. Not worth driving on...........even for good ice cream. :wink:

LL2
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Culver's or Oberweis icecream isn't cheap around Wisconsin or Chicago area, but sure is good!

packinpatland
05-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Eagle River is near Minocqua, right? Ever been? It used to be a great place. I was born there, spent my first 11 years there. I remember truely idyllic summers as a kid. Very Tom Sawyer-ish. I hear they've run a major road thru the island. :roll:

LL2
05-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Here's a couple good articles on the gas issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/gasprice.protest.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

The real reason for high gas prices and basically the only option to deal with it.

http://www.fool.com/investing/small-cap/2007/05/25/one-road-to-lower-gas-prices.aspx

Joemailman
05-26-2007, 08:39 PM

Eagle River is near Minocqua, right? Ever been? It used to be a great place. I was born there, spent my first 11 years there. I remember truely idyllic summers as a kid. Very Tom Sawyer-ish. I hear they've run a major road thru the island. :roll:

You mean U.S. Highway 51? Yes, Minocqua can get rather overrun with tourists in the summer. In fact, they had to redo Highway 51 in the downtown area because of the traffic. I still love the northwoods, but is different than what I remember as a kid , escaping from Illinois to Eagle River.

packinpatland
05-26-2007, 08:58 PM

You mean U.S. Highway 51? Yes, Minocqua can get rather overrun with tourists in the summer. In fact, they had to redo Highway 51 in the downtown area because of the traffic. I still love the northwoods, but is different than what I remember as a kid , escaping from Illinois to Eagle River.

Do you know if they still have the waterski shows? They used to have something called Aquarama in Aug. The best was the 4th of July. We used to decorate our bikes, we were the parade, we'd all end up down at
Torpey Park for an all day picnic. Three legged, potato sack races, fireworks, it was a kids dream. .......................thankfully, one of my reoccuring ones. :lol:

GBRulz
05-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Honestly, I don't think I've been to Minocqua in about 8-10 years. Although I will pretty much be staying there the entire month of June and perhaps July, for work. One of my best friends had a cabin in Hazelhurst and we used to go up there alot when I lived in Wausau. Funny how now, living in GB, going "up north" is Door County, lol.

Joe, you probably know this...but is Hwy 51 from Wausau to Minocqua all 4 lane now? I'm thinking that is my best way to get up there.

falco
05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
GBRulz, Hwy 51 is 4 lanes up to Tomahawk. If you are coming from GB, the best way is probably 29 to 51, although there are much more scenic routes.

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Hey, it's back under $3 here.

GBRulz
05-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Under $3, wow...that's cheap !! :doh:

Falco, I agree that 29 to 51 is the best way. I just didn't know how far north they have moved along with the 4 lanes. Usually, to get to the Northwoods I take 29 to 45. But that's going to Eagle River.... 51 is probably better for Minocqua.

GBRulz
06-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Who actually sets the prices for gas? For example, usually north of here it's always 10 cents higher. But for the past week, it's gone down up north and hasn't gone down at all here in GB. 3.35 there, 3.43 here.... It wouldn't doubt me if GB stations are price gauging

Kiwon
08-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Update:

I paid $69.86 for 47.868 liters of Diesel yesterday. That equals to $5.52 a gallon for 12.6455 gallons of fuel.

You'se guys got it good! Stop the whining! (just kidding 8-) )

Freak Out
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Update:

I paid $69.86 for 47.868 liters of Diesel yesterday. That equals to $5.52 a gallon for 12.6455 gallons of fuel.

What kind of rig do you drive Kiwon? A Korean diesel? I find it hard to believe that the Koreans would let the Japanese import cars. :lol:

GBRulz
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
So, has the price of gas doubled in Korea over the past couple years? Or is that something people over there are used to?

Gas in GB...now down to $2.87..

Kiwon
08-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Update:

What kind of rig do you drive Kiwon? A Korean diesel? I find it hard to believe that the Koreans would let the Japanese import cars. :lol:

2002 Hyundai Starex van (9 passenger). Styling :)

You'll see the occasional Lexus but that's about it. Imports still pay about a 20% duty (I think).

Kiwon
08-10-2007, 07:01 PM
So, has the price of gas doubled in Korea over the past couple years? Or is that something people over there are used to?

Gas in GB...now down to $2.87..

Nope, gas outside the U.S. has always been high. The good ole days in Korea is gas over $4.00 a gallon.

Freak Out
08-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Update:

2002 Hyundai Starex van (9 passenger). Styling :)

You'll see the occasional Lexus but that's about it. Imports still pay about a 20% duty (I think).

That is a sweet ride dude! I hate the fact that it is so hard to get the clean/efficient diesel tech over here that is available all over the damn planet.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
$2.60 in Minneapolis. Darn. Green Bay is expensive. I guess I realized that from being there before. I'm not using to paying so much for gas when I go there.

GBRulz
08-10-2007, 10:54 PM
yeah Harv, we can attribute that to WI being the 5th highest taxed state for gas. It actually just went down this morning, too. Was $2.93

Terry
08-11-2007, 10:16 AM
You are forgetting one thing about England. While it is a free society, it is not based on freedom. There is no equivalent "bill of rights". The English society will "tolerate" intrusions to freedom that this country will not

Not to mention that government owned cctv cameras on roads and streets are now up to something like 1 for every 14 citizens.

Terry
08-11-2007, 10:22 AM
If you want to cut emissions/energy usage, turn off unneeded lights in your home or other things.

Why would one want to cut emissions?

Terry
08-11-2007, 10:31 AM
You guys don't know how good you have it.

Using approximate currency conversion rates today and reckoning very roughly on an American gallon being about 4 litres, the price now in Ireland (and it's just dropped slightly) per gallon of petrol, in dollars, is approx. $6.40 or so per/gal at the cheapest petrol stations. Two weeks ago it was about 30 cents more.

Iron Mike
08-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Using approximate currency conversion rates today and reckoning very roughly on an American gallon being about 4 litres, the price now in Ireland (and it's just dropped slightly) per gallon of petrol, in dollars, is approx. $6.40 or so per/gal at the cheapest petrol stations. Two weeks ago it was about 30 cents more.

Yeah, but how far do you have to drive in Ireland to get anywhere? :wink:

Terry
08-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Yeah, but how far do you have to drive in Ireland to get anywhere? :wink:
LOL. Wherever you have to go, with traffic being the way it is, your car has to idle for at least an extra half an hour.

GBRulz
03-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Has anyone seen $4 gas yet? Diesel just hit $4 but regular unleaded here in MN is $3.07. Looks like back home it's $3.30

Harlan Huckleby
03-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Do people with hybrids get to do happy dances now?

(I dislike hybrids, the idea of INCREASING the mechanical complexity of cars is a bummer. Electric cars have much lower maintenance than friggin internal combustion engines. Lets just get electric cars on the road, people can keep their gas guzzers for long trips.)

oregonpackfan
03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
We are averaging about $3.40 for regular unleaded in the Portland Metro area.

Kiwon
05-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Double post and (bump)

Ouch! My sad story from this thread:

5/13/2007 - $4.89 a gallon for diesel.

8/10/2007 - $5.52 a gallon for diesel.

5/1/2008 - $6.56 a gallon for diesel.

MadtownPacker
05-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Just filled up at $3.999 a gallon.

Why the hell do they bother with the extra 9?

MJZiggy
05-01-2008, 06:22 AM
To make you think you're paying less. It's the fine print at the pump (as if we're too stupid to know that we're taking it up the ass). :roll:

GBRulz
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Maybe when gas was like 99 cents a gallon, the extra 9 made you feel like you were getting a bargain because it wasn't quite a dollar??

On another note, I read my first post in this thread and now kinda laugh. I'm like "wow, some of you must be paying over $3 now?" that was almost two years ago to date.

$3.60 / gal here

Harlan Huckleby
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
If we had moved ahead with electric cars 10 years ago, and started licensing of nuclear power plants again, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Freak Out
05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
If we had moved ahead with electric cars 10 years ago, and started licensing of nuclear power plants again, we wouldn't be in this mess.

We were building electric cars.....and good ones. But they were mysteriously killed. Unfortunately nuclear still has not moved forward due to many unnecessary hurdles.

woodbuck27
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Gas in Northern Maine @ $3.77 a gallon yesterday.

In Canada sell the house if you absolutely need to drive a lot.

It's about $1.28 Canadian per litre now,

I belive that 1 Imperial galon = approx. 4.56 litres. So our gallon costs about $5.12. We're being warned it will hit as high as $1,50 or more per litre early in the summer.

Partial
05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
3.90 on north avenue fuck that.

GBRulz
05-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Inching ever so slowly to that $4 mark..... $3.75 now.

My brother-in-law has been an independent truck driver for years. After last month's fuel bill of $8,000 he said enough is enough and is now hauling for the government.

red
05-10-2008, 07:31 PM
i think i paid 3.89 yesterday up here

i just slid the card in and tried not to look at the price

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 07:32 PM

My brother-in-law has been an independent truck driver for years. After last month's fuel bill of $8,000 he said enough is enough and is now hauling for the government.

I really feel bad for the independent truckers right now.....and is there an end in site? Glad your bro in law got something with the government.....it has money even when it doesn't have money!! :D

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
i just slid the card in and tried not to look at the price

I can't look while I'm filling up.....it's sickening!! Just take the beating and go pay for it. lol

red
05-10-2008, 07:34 PM

I really feel bad for the independent truckers right now.....and is there an end in site? Glad your bro in law got something with the government.....it has money even when it doesn't have money!! :D

i think she ment that he isn't making any money, but the government is through taxes

not, he's got a job hauling for the gov

at least thats what i took from it

red
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
nvm, i read it wrong, you were right 00

guess its time to learn that chicks are always right

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 07:38 PM
guess its time to learn that chicks are always right

:taunt: ...got that right baby!!!

:P

red
05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
yeah you gals are always right......

except for when you're wrong...................

which is 95% of the time

:wink:

Freak Out
05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I was in Nikiski AK yesterday where gas was $4.39....and thats in an oil field. :lol:

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 07:49 PM

which is 95% of the time

blah, blah, blah......
Think you are so cool just cause you got that FF championship thingy under your name....good thing you were not in my division last year!!!

(insert little guy rolling on the floor laughing emoticon) MAD....will you add that please?? I've have to search for that favorite emoticon thread 50,000 times when I've wanted to use it. :D

red
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddd

can i get a emoticon with long hair and boobs saying, duh?

my team and staff are retooling, i'll be back on the top this year

Bretsky
05-10-2008, 07:55 PM

which is 95% of the time

This is correct

But since 95% of disagreements do not matter one way or the other..so.......we just let them be right that amount of the time

and

take the 5% that mean something and win those arugments

For those who haven't figured it out yet there lies one of the keys to long term marriage

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddd

can i get a emoticon with long hair and boobs saying, duh?

Oh c'mon, just post your pic.....it would be quicker.

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 07:57 PM
For those who haven't figured it out yet there lies one of the keys to long term marriage

I was obviously right more than 5% of the time. :P

Bretsky
05-10-2008, 09:19 PM

I was obviously right more than 5% of the time. :P

ya, sure.....as long as you think you are that's the important part

Scott Campbell
05-10-2008, 09:51 PM
"Super-spike" could lift oil to $200: Goldman

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL0691448820080506

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil could shoot up to $200 within the next two years as part of a "super-spike" driven by poor growth in oil supplies, investment bank Goldman Sachs (GS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said in a research note.

"We believe the current energy crisis may be coming to a head, as a lack of adequate supply growth is becoming apparent," Goldman said in the note made available to Reuters on Tuesday.

Oil hit a new record near $121 a barrel on Tuesday, continuing an advance which has seen it double over the past 12 months.

"The possibility of $150-$200 per barrel seems increasingly likely over the next 6-24 months, though predicting the ultimate peak in oil prices as well as the remaining duration of the upcycle remains a major uncertainty," Goldman said.

Goldman, which was one of the first to point to a triple digit oil price more than two years ago, said it believed the market was approaching the crunch in the "super-spike".

The "super-spike" theory argues that a lack of adequate supply growth along with price-insulated demand growth in non-OECD countries will lead to a dramatic and continuous rise in oil prices that will ultimately lead to a sharp correction in oil demand.

Goldman analysts said the underlying drivers of the rise in oil prices remained firmly in place, noting poor growth in non-OPEC supplies, low OPEC spare capacity, restriction on foreign investment in key oil producing nations and healthy demand growth in non-OECD economies.

"In our view, a gradual rally in prices is likely to be longer lasting than a sharp, sudden spike," the note written by U.S.-based analyst Arjun Murti said.

Goldman said it had raised its spot oil price forecasts for U.S. WTI crude for 2008 through to 2011 to $108 rising to $110 and $120 a barrel, up from $96 rising to $105 and $110 respectively in its earlier forecast. "We see risk to our 2008 and 2009 forecasts as distinctly to the upside," it said.

LL2
05-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Has anyone seen the movie “Dan in Real Life”. Funny movie. There’s a scene where he’s filling up the gas tank and his youngest daughter ask him about gas prices (I’m paraphrasing), and Dan says “There goes your sisters college fund.” And the little girl ask “How about mine”..then Dan says ”Nope your fine…ooops…nope…there goes yours too.” While the scene was funny I’m sure many can relate. The rising cost of gas is taking funds from other areas. I saw $4.00 for the cheapo gas for the first time this morning. With memorial day weekend right around the corner I’m sure many are staying home this year.

Partial
05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Has anyone seen the movie “Dan in Real Life”. Funny movie. There’s a scene where he’s filling up the gas tank and his youngest daughter ask him about gas prices (I’m paraphrasing), and Dan says “There goes your sisters college fund.” And the little girl ask “How about mine”..then Dan says ”Nope your fine…ooops…nope…there goes yours too.” While the scene was funny I’m sure many can relate. The rising cost of gas is taking funds from other areas. I saw $4.00 for the cheapo gas for the first time this morning. With memorial day weekend right around the corner I’m sure many are staying home this year.

I filled up 15 bucks worth of 4 dollar gas.

5 years ago I was filling up for 1.55.

These prices continue to go up yet I don't see any effort on the automakers part to fast track any 100+ mpg vehicles or even 50 mpg. They're probably in bed with the oil companies.

What is taking so damn long to get a plug-in hybrid? What about a Li-ion hybrid?

LL2
05-12-2008, 11:28 AM

These prices continue to go up yet I don't see any effort on the automakers part to fast track any 100+ mpg vehicles or even 50 mpg. They're probably in bed with the oil companies.

What is taking so damn long to get a plug-in hybrid? What about a Li-ion hybrid?

Check out the website below. It's an all electric sports car that just came out, for those that have $100k to spend on a car. Supposedly they are coming out with a sedan for half the price in 2010.

www.teslamotors.com

retailguy
05-12-2008, 05:47 PM

:shock:

Did it ever occur to you that the production of an electric vehicle just might not be economically viable even in the current energy climate? Maybe, just maybe, it's not a conspiracy?

Maybe, just maybe, not drilling our own oil has left us more dependent upon foreign oil than we would be if we drilled our own? Maybe, just maybe, environmental policies have costs that were not readily apparent when they were seemingly good decisions a few years back?

:roll:

LL2
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Did it ever occur to you that the production of an electric vehicle just might not be economically viable even in the current energy climate? Maybe, just maybe, it's not a conspiracy?

Maybe, just maybe, not drilling our own oil has left us more dependent upon foreign oil than we would be if we drilled our own? Maybe, just maybe, environmental policies have costs that were not readily apparent when they were seemingly good decisions a few years back?

Too many maybe's

sheepshead
05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I was in the 'hood here in chicago last week and was running low--4 blocks east of US Cellular it was $3.99.9. Didnt fill up - just enough to get out of the city.

red
05-13-2008, 05:20 PM
3.94 in the up

and the government says prices "MIGHT" hit $4 this sumer

how bout, by the weekend

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2008, 05:25 PM
3.94 in the up

and the government says prices "MIGHT" hit $4 this sumer

how bout, by the weekend

High prices at the pump are hurting everyone. Oil execs are barely making their rolls royce payments. Several have been forced to sell their villas in the south of france.

Freak Out
05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Polar Bears were listed as a threatened species today. Expect the speculators to push the price of oil higher as a result.

Freak Out
05-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Polar Bear Is First Species Protected Because of Climate Change

By Adam Satariano

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. declared the polar bear a threatened species, giving protected status for the first time to an animal because of global warming.

The carnivore, which hunts on ice sheets that are shrinking because of higher Arctic temperatures, joins more than 1,200 species classified by the U.S. as threatened or endangered with extinction. Today's decision, accounced by Valerie Fellows, spokeswoman for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, may create new obstacles for Alaskan oil drilling.

To contact the reporter on this story: Adam Satariano in San Francisco at asatariano1@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: May 14, 2008 14:31 EDT

Freak Out
05-15-2008, 06:51 PM
We produce more oil than most places in America and still get the shaft. Whats funny is that Fairbanks has a refinery (North Pole)

Anchorage Daily News

Alaska average gas price first to pass $4

(05/15/08 12:46:11)

The average price for regular unleaded gasoline in Alaska rose above $4 a gallon Wednesday, making it the first state in the nation to pass that mark.

According to the American Automobile Association's Web site, the average price for a gallon of regular unleaded rose to $4.022, making Alaska the only state in the nation with an average price above $4. The price had been $3.98 the day before.

Within Alaska, AAA reports prices in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau, all of which averaged under $4 on Wednesday. The higher fuel prices in outlying areas raise the statewide average.

For Anchorage it showed an average price of $3.875 a gallon, up from $3.516 a month ago and $2.873 a year ago.

For Fairbanks, AAA said the average price was $3.963 on Wednesday, and the Juneau price was $3.909.

Diesel-fuel prices statewide averaged $4.54 a gallon, AAA said, an average topped by a half dozen states. A year ago the average was $2.89 a gallon in Alaska.

Anchorage diesel prices averaged $4.34 a gallon Wednesday, compared with $2.74 a year ago, AAA said.

Freak Out
05-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Our Governor ran as a republican and she turns around and does something like this. :lol:
Not that I'm complaining......

Palin seeks $1.2 billion to slash energy bills

By SEAN COCKERHAM

(05/15/08 20:09:07)

Gov. Sarah Palin is proposing an energy cost relief plan to give Alaskans $100-a-month debit cards and pour state dollars into electric utilities so they'll slash their bills to ratepayers.

Palin's ambitious program, unprecedented in any other state, would last a year and cost $1.2 billion. The money would come out of the huge budget surplus the state government is enjoying because of the same high oil prices afflicting consumers at the pump.

Palin wants the Legislature to approve the plan this summer so it can start in September. She said the utility grants would mean a 60 percent reduction for all ratepayers.

Every Alaskan who qualifies for this year's Permanent Fund dividend check would also be eligible for an "Energy Debit Card" giving them $100 a month from the state.

The cards would have "merchant codes" so they could be used only for energy purchases at gas stations, fuel distributorships, utilities and the like. The $100-a-month for children could be added onto the balance of their parents' cards. Any Alaskan who activates a card would have to pay the federal income taxes on it, but unused balances on the card would roll over from one month to the next.

The plan was announced the same day that Alaska became the first state where the average pump price for a gallon of unleaded gas topped $4, according to the American Automobile Association. It was just under that around Anchorage and Fairbanks on Thursday and much higher across much of the rest of the state.

Palin said it makes sense to return some of the state surplus to the suffering public.

"It's really atrocious, the situation that Alaskans are in today," Palin said. "Where we, as the owners of the energy resources, are paying outrageous prices for use of those resource."Choking on price tage

Some legislators were choking on the $1.2 billion price tag for Palin's program.

"It's taking my breath away," said Anchorage Democratic Rep. Harry Crawford. "I don't know what to think about it, it's so huge."

House Speaker John Harris has been pushing for energy cost relief but wasn't sure about debit cards.

"That would be hard to implement," the Valdez Republican said. "I think you'd have a lot of potential for fraud."

Harris said a person could sell their debit card and use the money to buy something else.

Many other legislators said they need more time to digest the governor's plan. Some praised Palin for proposing a solution they felt might work.

"I was very pleased. I like the fact that it's a one-year program and not creating a long-term subsidy," said Eagle River Republican Rep. Nancy Dahlstrom.

The debit cards would be expected to cost the state $729 million. The grants to electric utilities would be another $475 million. Palin said the state can afford it.

Oil prices of around $120 per barrel mean far more money from oil taxes and royalties than the state expected at its last revenue forecast a month and a half ago.

Even if oil prices gradually decline over the next year, the state would wind up with $2.7 billion more than the forecast, said revenue commissioner Pat Galvin.

The surplus could go much higher if the stratospheric oil prices of recent weeks continue, Galvin said. He said the state could get $1.8 billion more than expected in just three months if the futures prices that financial markets use for trading turn out to be right.

Anchorage Democratic Rep. Crawford said the state needs to do something to help the needy with high costs. But this windfall can also be saved for the future, he said.

Palin said it's not right to let money pile up in the state treasury while people pay more and more.

Timing uncertain

It's not clear exactly when the Legislature will consider the governor's proposal.

The governor has already called the Legislature into a special session on the proposed natural gas pipeline to begin June 3. Palin said she might add energy cost relief to those deliberations or have it as the subject of its own special session.

Legislators seems a lot more interested in giving grants to utilities at this point than in issuing debit cards. The grants would be conditional on rates' being reduced, a Palin aide said, and state utility regulators would ensure that's what happens.

Under the plan, utilities could also get more state aid if they take conservation measures.

Palin's aides said the energy debit cards aren't much different from cards the state already gives people who are on public assistance. The aides conceded that giving them to everybody for energy costs is a unique idea for Alaska.

"I am not familiar with another state in the nation that faces similar energy costs or similar energy wealth," said Palin special assistant Joe Balash.

GBRulz
05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
$4 gas hit Green Bay. Most stations are at $3.90 but I went past one on the east side this morning @ 4 bucks.

GrnBay007
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
$4 gas hit Green Bay. Most stations are at $3.90 but I went past one on the east side this morning @ 4 bucks.

$3.87 here. Ugh......Holiday weekend coming up ....fill up today.

Freak Out
05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
The State Legislators were called to special session and will start hashing out a new natural gas pipeline contract as well as our "energy debit cards". :lol: This is great....if I work it right I'll drive free for a year...I might even be able to stockpile some diesel.

GoPackGo
05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
$3.69 is the highest I've seen so far

Oscar
05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
It's 3.69 here in Missouri today. Thought I'd fill up before the holiday.

oregonpackfan
05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Yesterday, Portland, OR had its first gas station above $4 a gallon. It registered $4.07/gallon. Ouch!

Bossman641
05-22-2008, 04:13 PM
3.69?

3.95 here, and that's what all the stations are.

Freak Out
05-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Here is the place to go buy the new ride! Only in America baby. :lol:

http://www.max71.com/

Tarlam!
05-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Yesterday, I paid €1.51 per litre for friggin Diesel! DIESEL!!!!!

I don't know how the $ stands to the € these days. But a litre is about 1/4 of a gallon, IIRC.

Patler? How much did I pay in real money?

GBRulz
05-22-2008, 05:23 PM
diesel is almost $5 gallon here, Tarlam. I don't know how that equates to your money.

Yeah, gas went up 20 cents...last night it was 3.79 and today it's 3.99 all over Green Bay. In a job where I travel quite a bit, even though it's a job that I really like....it's time to really start weighing out my other options. I am spending about $100 a week now in gas. and my car gets 30-32 mpg.

GBRulz
05-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Freak out, don't you get like a big ass check every year from the oil companies or something? Last year my friend who lives in Alaska got $1400 back. Must be nice to get paid to live somewhere!! Actually, I don't know exactly all the details, maybe u can explain?

Freak Out
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Freak out, don't you get like a big ass check every year from the oil companies or something? Last year my friend who lives in Alaska got $1400 back. Must be nice to get paid to live somewhere!! Actually, I don't know exactly all the details, maybe u can explain?

A portion of the State oil royalties go into what is called "The Permanent Fund" and every citizen gets a dividend check each year....obviously based on fund earnings.

http://www.apfc.org/

https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/

The energy debit card is an entirely different proposal and would give Alaskans a debit card that could be used to pay for "energy"...vehicle fuel, home heating (oil, Natgas, propane, etc). The program would also pay energy utilities directly to keep rates down.

:lol:

Our constitution mandates that Alaskan resources will be utilized to maximize benefit for all Alaskans. This would be another way of doing that.

red
05-22-2008, 05:51 PM
its over 4 bucks a gallon up here right now.

i think i paid 4.07 last night

GoPackGo
05-22-2008, 05:52 PM
maybe more people will turn to motocycles until this gets figured out

Partial
05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
4.19 for regular at the gas station across the street. Fuck that.

Joemailman
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Paid $66 to fill up last night, but that's with a relatively small tank. Anybody top $90 yet?

BallHawk
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
$3.90 in Naples.

GrnBay007
05-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Paid $66 to fill up last night, but that's with a relatively small tank. Anybody top $90 yet?

How many days will you be able to drive on the $66?

MadtownPacker
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Paid $66 to fill up last night, but that's with a relatively small tank. Anybody top $90 yet?It dont count when you use the postal service gas card!!

Freak Out
05-23-2008, 01:03 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/05/22/ccoil122.xml

Oil's perfect storm may blow over

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
Last Updated: 9:44am BST 23/05/2008

The perfect storm that has swept oil prices to $132 a barrel may subside over the coming months as rising crude supply from unexpected corners of the world finally comes on stream, just as the global economic downturn begins to bite.

The forces behind the meteoric price rise this spring are slowly receding. Nigeria has boosted output by 200,000 barrels a day (BPD) this month, making up most of the shortfall caused by rebel attacks on pipelines in April.
Why oil could soon come barrelling down
Keep the motors running: increased oil production from countries such as Brazil, Sudan and Azerbaijan is helping satisfy rising global demand for the fossil fuel

The Geneva consultancy PetroLogistics says Iraq has added 300,000 bpd to a total of 2.57m as security is beefed up in the northern Kirkuk region.

"There is a strong rebound in supply," said the group's president Conrad Gerber.

Saudi Arabia is adding 300,000 bpd to the market in response to a personal plea from President George Bush, and to placate angry Democrats on Capitol Hill - even though Riyadh insists that there are abundant supplies for sale.

Non-OPEC oil production growth

Like the rest of Opec, the Saudis blame "speculators" for running amok, pushing paper contracts into the stratosphere.

The ever-diminishing reserves of oil in the earth's crust will doubtless drive crude prices to much higher levels over time - provided no new technology such as nuclear fusion abruptly changes the picture - but that will not stop cyclical ups and downs along the way.

The world's finely balanced market for crude has been creeping into surplus for several weeks. Opec's monthly report says that demand this quarter will average 85.75m bpd. Supply was 86.8m bpd in April. The fresh output from Nigeria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia may push it significantly further into surplus.

The signs are already surfacing in global inventories. Opec says that stocks held by the OECD club of rich countries are above their five-year average, with "comfortable" cover for 53 days' use. US stocks have edged up for the last four months, though they fell last week.

While it is widely reported that output from the non-Opec trio of Norway, Britain, and Mexico has relentlessly fallen, it is less well known that a clutch of other countries are gradually filling the breach.

The US Energy Information Agency says non-Opec supply will edge up by 600,000 bpd over coming months as Brazil, Azerbaijan and the Sudan raise production. By next year, the US itself will be producing enough extra oil to shave its import needs.

OPEC surplus crude oil production

None of this has been enough to curb the buying frenzy this spring. Goldman Sachs has warned that prices could reach $200 in a final spike, and even the bears at Lehman Brothers say there may be enough momentum to keep the boom going until Christmas.

It is unclear whether hedge funds and investors piling into futures contracts have now become the driving force in a speculative bubble. The Bank of England said yesterday that they were not a factor.

Lehman's latest report - Is it a Bubble? - says commodity index funds have exploded from $70bn (£36bn) to $235bn since early 2006. This includes $90bn of fresh money. Energy takes the lion's share. Every $100m flow of investment money into oil lifts crude prices by 1.6pc, it said.

"We see many of the ingredients for a classic asset bubble," said Edward Morse, Lehman's oil expert.

This week has seen a dramatic surge in oil contracts dated as far forward as 2016. Futures have moved higher than the spot price, a rare event known as "contango". This can cut both ways: either as a sign of an impending supply crunch years hence; or that the futures market has become unhinged from reality.

What we know is that the International Monetary Fund has cut its forecast for world growth for 2008 three times since last autumn to 3.7pc, and the United Nations is predicting just 1.8pc - technically, a global recession. The major oil forecasters have halved their estimates for crude demand growth to 1.2m bpd.

The bulls say that the US housing crash and spreading contagion in Britain, Spain and Japan do not matter much for oil in the changed world of rising Asia.

The US added just 7pc of crude demand growth from 2004 to 2007, compared with 34pc for China, 25pc for the Middle East and 17pc for emerging Asia.

Goldman Sachs argues that fuel prices in most of these countries are held down by state controls, insulating demand from the effect of any global downturn.

But this could change. Egypt - the most populous Arab country - has just raised petrol prices by 40pc. Rumours swept China yesterday that Beijing was preparing to lift fuel prices. While the Chinese government is unlikely to risk protests in the lead up to the Olympics, the jitters are a reminder that Asian states will have to take action sooner or later to wean their societies from subsidies.

Almost all emerging nations have to slam on the brakes in coming months to curb inflation before it starts spiralling out of control. Inflation has hit 30pc in Ukraine, 22pc in Vietnam, 8.5pc in China, and double digits across most of the Gulf.

The countries that account for the most of the growth in oil demand over the last two years are almost all nearing the limits of easy economic growth.

GoPackGo
05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I filled up my SUV and commuter car for $3.59/gallon last night. I feel pretty lucky. Highest i've seen is $3.79

Joemailman
05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
3.97 in Wausau. Anybody know what I'll be paying in Ontario when I go there next weekend?

Freak Out
05-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Riding my bike.

red
05-23-2008, 07:38 PM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

4.19 here this morning

4.27 in iron mountain

SUCK MY ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Kiwon
05-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Ouch! My sad story from this thread:

5/13/2007 - $4.89 a gallon for diesel.

8/10/2007 - $5.52 a gallon for diesel.

5/1/2008 - $6.56 a gallon for diesel.

5/31/2008 - $7.09 a gallon for diesel.

Little Whiskey
06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
its costing me a fortune to mow my grass!

Freak Out
06-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Smoke it!

Zool
06-03-2008, 07:33 AM

Smoke it!

Buy a goat.

LL2
06-03-2008, 08:57 AM
The high cost of gas is now affecting the folks of Janesville, Wis., as GM is shutting down the plant there that makes trucks.

I personally love trucks and have owned a couple, but with the way gas prices are I will not buy one anymore. I would love to buy an oldie though just to drive on weekends. Some want to drive a Harley for a Sunday drive, I want a classic truck from the 50's or 60's (or maybe older).

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/03/news/companies/gm_announcement/index.htm?postversion=2008060309

Freak Out
06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
McClatchy Washington Bureau

Posted on Tue, Jun. 03, 2008

Speculation helping to drive oil price skyward, Senate panel hears
Les Blumenthal | McClatchy Newspapers

last updated: June 03, 2008 07:08:22 PM

WASHINGTON — One is a billionaire financier and the other operates seven gas stations and convenience stores in a farming community of 7,000 in eastern Washington state.

But George Soros and Gerry Ramm delivered the same message Tuesday to the Senate Commerce Committee: Rampant speculation has helped spur out-of-control crude oil prices.

In the measured tones of high finance, Soros, whose hedge fund by some accounts made $3 billion last year, talked about a "speculative excess" and warned that the run-up in oil prices could drag the United States into a recession.

"There is a strong prima facie case against institutional investors pursuing a commodity index-buying strategy," he said. "It is intellectually dishonest, potentially destabilizing and distinctly harmful in its economic consequences."

Ramm, the president of the Inland Oil Co. of Ephrata, Wash., was a bit more plainspoken.

"Excessive speculation on energy trading facilities is the fuel that is driving this runaway train in crude oil prices," he said.

Others testifying at the hearing said that speculation by investment banks, hedge funds, institutional investors and others may be responsible for more than half of the skyrocketing price of crude oil. The Federal Trade Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, they said, have failed to investigate.

Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and others at the hearing said they welcomed the news last week that the CTFC, for the past six months, has been investigating the trading of contracts for future deliveries of oil, commonly called futures contracts. But they said the investigation was too limited in scope and fell far short of the tougher probes required.

Cantwell, who chaired the hearing, was especially critical of the CFTC for deciding that regulators in London and Dubai should patrol international crude oil markets rather than doing so itself.

Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., who chaired the hearing, was especially critical of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for deciding that regulators in London and Dubai should patrol international crude-oil markets rather than doing so itself.

The International Petroleum Exchange is in London but is owned by an Atlanta exchange; the oil trading exchange in Dubai is connected with the New York Mercantile Exchange. In addition, West Texas Intermediate Crude is the benchmark used on most international oil markets.

Cantwell said that the Commodity Futures Trading Commission had oversight authority over international exchanges but so far had refused to act. Speculators are taking advantage of the situation, she said.

"This is no different than when U.S. businesses take out a post office box in the Cayman Islands to avoid U.S. business laws," Cantwell said. The commission, so far, has proved to be a "toothless tiger" which has "abdicated its oversight responsibility," she said.

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., said he thought that there had been an "orgy" of speculation when it came to the oil markets.

"The law of bubbles is that all bubbles burst," Dorgan said.

Even as speculators and others are getting rich, the retail side of the industry is getting squeezed, Ramm said.

"Last year, gasoline dealers and heating oil retailers saw profit margins from fuel sales fall to their lowest point in decades as oil prices surged," he said, adding that most station owners make their profits by selling drinks and snacks.

Ramm, representing the Petroleum Marketers of America, said retailers were near the limits on their lines of credit because of the high petroleum prices.

"This creates a credit crisis with marketers' banks, which creates liquidity problems and may force petroleum marketers and station owners to close up shop," he said.

Michael Greenberger, a University of Maryland law professor, said that not only were speculators playing the markets, they also were starting to take delivery of the petroleum products. As they drive prices higher, they then can sell their products for even more. Greenberger said that one investment company was currently the largest owner of heating oil in New England, where oil heats 80 percent of homes.

If speculation were reined in and trading rules tightened, Greenberger said, the cost of crude oil could drop 25 percent.

McClatchy Newspapers 2008

packinpatland
06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
In some part of CT, 35 miles from me, it's $4.09.............down the street, it's $4.49.

sheepshead
06-09-2008, 10:36 AM
and who should we be blaming??

ANWR Exploration
House Republicans: 91% Supported
House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Coal-to-Liquid
House Republicans: 97% Supported
House Democrats: 78% Opposed

Oil Shale Exploration
House Republicans: 90% Supported
House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Exploration
House Republicans: 81% Supported
House Democrats: 83% Opposed

Refinery Increased Capacity
House Democrats: 96% Opposed

Freak Out
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM

????? This is permitted.

sheepshead
06-09-2008, 12:04 PM

????? This is permitted.

Not at the moment--unbelievable isnt it?

Scott Campbell
06-09-2008, 12:05 PM
In some part of CT, 35 miles from me, it's $4.09.............down the street, it's $4.49.

It's a little spendy to live out by you.

Freak Out
06-09-2008, 12:25 PM

????? This is permitted.

Not at the moment--unbelievable isnt it?

No.....I'm sorry you misunderstood me. This is a permitted process. If you meet permit requirements then you can build a refinery. A very expensive endevour these days but still possible. Tesoro closed one refinery up here because of "lack of demand" for product a few years ago and most of the equipment was shipped overseas.

Freak Out
06-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Diesel Beats Gasoline as Traders Bet on Widest Spread (Update1)

By Nesa Subrahmaniyan

June 9 (Bloomberg) -- Diesel, the world's most-used transport fuel, is so prized by traders they'll pay the biggest premiums in at least 15 years to buy it.

Because refiners can't make enough, diesel sells for $145 a ton, or 14 percent, more than gasoline as China halts exports, the Middle East boosts imports and power shortages force mines from Australia to Chile to run oil-fed generators. For the first time, refiners Valero Energy Corp. and ConocoPhillips this summer will make more money from diesel than gasoline in the Northern Hemisphere, said Andrew Reed, an analyst at Energy Security Analysis Inc. in Boston.

``Diesel is in the driver's seat now, and will be at least in the next few years,'' said Anthony Nunan, assistant general manager for risk management in Tokyo at Mitsubishi Corp., Japan's largest trading company. ``About 43 percent of the world's gasoline is consumed in the U.S., and with high prices and a soft economy, that market is stalling.''

Diesel use in developed economies is growing about 2 percent this year, or 200,000 barrels a day, while gasoline use in the U.S. falls for the first time since 1991, according to Merrill Lynch & Co. The trend will continue, boosting diesel's premium to gasoline by 31 percent, to more than $190 a ton in Europe by year-end, swap contracts from broker PVM Oil International show.

Refiners will profit by producing more diesel instead of gasoline, and the biggest winners will be those that process cheaper, heavy grades of crude. Reliance Industries Ltd. will start operating the world's largest refinery on India's west coast this year, with equipment designed to produce about 247,000 barrels a day of diesel from every 580,000 barrels a day of crude, 22 percent more than the world average.

Saras, ERG

Saras SpA, owner of the Mediterranean region's biggest refinery, Italy's ERG SpA and Greece's Motor Oil Hellas SA also have plants with units designed to maximize diesel supply.

``ERG, Saras and Motor Oil's bias toward diesel production versus gasoline positions them well to exploit the global shortages of diesel and upgrading capacity,'' Merrill Lynch analyst James Schofield said.

The world consumed 30.2 million barrels of diesel and related distillate fuels, 16 percent more than the 26.1 million barrels of gasoline in 2006, according to statistics compiled by BP Plc.

Most U.S. refiners can't maximize diesel production and cut back on gasoline because they lack the flexibility to switch from one product to another. That means when gasoline profits dropped and refiners cut output, they reduced diesel supplies too.

Focus on Gasoline

U.S. oil refiners for the past seven years focused on increasing gasoline production, adding the capacity to make another 1.2 million barrels a day, almost double the additional 700,000 barrels of diesel, according to the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

To be sure, some analysts say diesel's gains have peaked. Higher prices will curtail demand, and capacity ``should increase markedly'' as refineries come back online after maintenance and new plants are added in China and India, Credit Suisse said in a report last week.

``Diesel prices may decline over the second half of this year,'' said Jit Yang Lim, a Singapore-based senior consultant at FACTS Global Energy, who also said diesel's best is past. ``Part of the reason is that in the second half we have new refining capacity coming, particularly Reliance in India.''

Last week a fire shut down shipments from Apache Corp.'s Varanus Island natural gas plant off Australia, boosting demand for diesel from the region's mining companies. Apache said it may take two months to restore production.

Supply Crunch

Even before the fire, the diesel supply crunch prompted Goldman Sachs Group Inc. analysts led by London-based Henry Morris to increase estimates of refinery profits in Europe to $8.20 a barrel from $6.95 for 2008, and for 2009 to $8 from $7.50.

``In Western Europe, diesel is all the time gaining market share compared to gasoline,'' Jeroen van der Veer, chief executive of Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Europe's largest oil company, said in Kuala Lumpur. ``We expect those trends will continue.''

European demand for diesel is growing at an annual rate of 4.4 percent, Energy Security Analysis' Reed said. Carmakers Volkswagen AG and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG are making more diesel-engine cars, cutting demand for gasoline, while Shell, Total SA and BP Plc's plants can't make enough of the fuel.

Stricter emission standards for diesel in the U.S. and Europe are also helping to push up diesel, Reed said. The European Union starting in 2009 requires sulfur content in diesel to be lowered by 80 percent, to 10 parts per million, he said.

Trucks, Trains, Ships

Diesel for prompt delivery in New York gained 32 percent this year, the result of increasing demand from trucks, trains and shipping companies, outpacing gasoline's 20 percent advance. U.S. diesel consumption in March rose 3.3 percent from a year earlier to 3.5 million barrels a day, while gasoline use declined 1.5 percent to 9.1 million a day, according to the International Energy Agency in Paris.

Diesel has ``gained a new lease of life,'' said Tom O'Brien, a director of closely held Trafigura Pte in Singapore, the Asian unit of Trafigura Beheer BV, the world's third-largest independent oil trading company. ``Diesel has cleaned up its image as a dirty fuel by lowering its sulfur content in the developed world.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Nesa Subrahmaniyan in Singapore at nesas@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: June 9, 2008 06:10 EDT

LL2
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
What we need is biodiesel. I've read you can make biodiesel from hemp. Do you think the gov't will allow that?

MJZiggy
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Well, at least if you smoke your fuel, you won't care whether you get where you wanna go or not...

Freak Out
06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, at least if you smoke your fuel, you won't care whether you get where you wanna go or not...

You would never make it past the first Taco stand.

Freak Out
06-24-2008, 07:35 PM
The Scandinavians to the rescue?

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil25-2008jun25,0,5962782.story

The Think City: In Norway, they're building your first electric car
And it's solid and safe, with charisma to boot.
By Dan Neil
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 25, 2008

OSLO, NORWAY — INGVIL LADEHAUG is battery challenged.

Her laptop is running out of juice. Her cellphone is down to its last electrons. But the director of communications for Norway's Think -- beginning production in September of perhaps the best electric car in the world -- feels good about our chances of getting home.

"We're going to make it!" she squeals as we cross back into Oslo proper. "Fantastic."

It's been a long day for our adorable yellow test car. This morning we headed for Think's factory in Aurskog, some 40 miles into the bluegrass Scandinavian countryside, with about an 85% charge in the car's advanced sodium-cell battery. But Ladehaug -- who is directionally challenged too -- got us turned around. Now, after several course corrections that added perhaps 20 miles to the trip, we're both eyeing the battery gauge, while warning lights flash ominously. Still the Think City -- a 2,449-pound runabout with plastic body panels and an official range of 112 miles on full charge -- hums along.

About the size of a Mercedes-built Smart car, the two-seat Think (backseat optional) scoots away from stop lights, thanks to its torque-rich electric motor, and doesn't feel at all strained at highway speeds of 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph). First impressions: dead solid, quiet, comfortable, fully realized. A real car. It's got a great look, with big moony eyes as headlamps that make you want to take it home. The brakes are kind of touchy, the pedals are kind of small, the steering a bit leaden. But for the most part, it feels like any other sub-compact economy car, except there's not an exhaust note. Nor exhaust pipe. When we have to make a quick change in direction -- "Here, this turn!" Ladehaug shouts -- the little car darts in the direction it's pointed.

Think's journey to the world market has been similarly full of detours. The company (previously called Pivco) began in 1991 and by 1998 had built more than 1,000 small and charismatic electric runabouts, sold mostly in Norway (where you still see a few on the road). Then, in 1999, the company was bought by the Yankee giant Ford Motor Co., which was scrambling at the time to comply with California's Zero Emission Vehicle mandate, essentially requiring automakers to build fleets of electric vehicles. Ford renamed the company Think Nordic and began a complete redesign of the car. When, in 2003, the American automakers succeeded in modifying California's mandate, Detroit's flirtation with electronic vehicles ended. General Motors Corp. famously killed the EV1 program, and Ford sold Think to a Swiss electronics firm.

"The lawyers stopped us," says Ole Fretheim, the factory's manager. Think went bankrupt in 2006.

The irony is that Ford had already poured $150 million into the Think City project, engineering among other things the car's rigid steel space frame, the crash structure. If and when it comes to the U.S. market -- the company opened an office in Menlo Park, Calif., earlier this year with plans to sell cars stateside in 2009 -- the Think City will be a rarity: A full-speed electric car meeting U.S. and European crash standards.

"The car was 95% complete when Ford stopped development in 2002," says Fretheim. In the long run, he says, the down time might have been a good thing. "When we started work again we had better options for batteries."

In 2006, a group of investors led by Jan-Olaf Willums, a Norwegian venture capitalist specializing in energy technology, purchased Think for $15 million. Now Think's chief executive, Willums has spent much of the last two years raising more money -- about $93 million, much of it from Silicon Valley -- to help get Think off the ground.

"These guys are Vikings. They're fearless," says Wilber James, a general partner of RockPort Capital Partners, which invested in Think North America along with Ray Lane of Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. "And they're absolute leaders in clean technology."

At the factory, we're met by the plant director, Arne Degermosse, a 41-year car-building veteran from Saab, brought in to ramp up production. Also this year, Porsche Consulting came in to advise on plant efficiency. With just under 18,000 square feet under the roof, space is at a premium; with two shifts, says Degermosse, the facility can produce just 44 cars a day, or about 10,000 cars a year. Not a number that will have GM shaking in its boots.

And yet, because of the unique modular assembly process -- the car is put together from a mere 580 parts -- it would be possible to set up other assembly plants closer to the markets it serves, namely Southern California. "It's called distributed manufacture," says James. "If we were going to build them anywhere in the U.S., Southern California would have priority because that's where we'd sell them. It's a precursor of what the OEMs [the big automakers] should be doing."

In any electric car program, the crucial component is the battery. Think has settled on three suppliers: MES-DEA, which produces a molten sodium battery, and A123Systems and EnerDel, which produce varieties of lithium-ion batteries. The MES-DEA battery yields 28 kilowatt-hours, while the EnerDel and the A123Systems batteries produce 26 and 19 kWh, respectively. Any of the three are expensive. At current market prices, Think's City could cost up to $35,000, more than half of that tied up in the battery.

For that reason, Willums proposes to sell the cars for $20,000-$25,000 and lease the batteries to owners, for a $150 to $200 monthly "mobility fee." All battery maintenance and replacement costs would be covered, and there could be ways to compensate owners for the costs of the electricity to charge the cars.

"The real interesting part is what is going to happen next," says James. "The market has evolved faster than we ever thought."

Think currently doesn't know how it will sell the car: Will there be online showrooms or real showrooms? Or will customers go to their local Think assembly plants and watch as their cars are built? What tax breaks will be available, and from whom? Will consumers balk at a rental fee on top of a purchase price?

All these questions remain unanswered. But as for the question so often asked: Is a safe, practical electric car possible? The answer seems to be yes.

dan.neil@latimes.com

2008 Think City
Type:Two- or four-seat, three-door electric vehicle

Price: $20,000-$25,000 (est), with monthly battery lease of $150-$200

Horsepower: 40

Acceleration: 0-50 in 16 seconds

Top speed: 62 mph

Range: 112 miles

Weight: 2,449 pounds

Battery: Hot-cell sodium battery (28 kilowatt-hours, 380 volts) or lithium-ion battery (26 kilowatt-hours, 380 volts)

Standard equipment: Front airbags, anti-lock brakes, regenerative braking, power steering, power windows and door locks

Final thoughts: The next big Think

MJZiggy
06-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I thought the SmartCar was a beamer.

Freak Out
06-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I thought the SmartCar was a beamer.

It's always been a Benz.

MJZiggy
06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Huh. Shows how much I care...

retailguy
06-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Huh. Shows how much I care...

C'mon. A good liberal like you should already have yours on order! :wink:

Battery lease of $150-$200 per month.... And how much does the "average" family spend on gas?..... :P

0-60 in 16 seconds.... Smokin! :wink:

Partial
06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Its too bad we don't have literal tons and tons of sugar. Brazil is lucky.

MJZiggy
06-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Ever heard of Hawaii, P? We do have tons and tons of sugar. We just happen to eat it, not drive with it.

retailguy
06-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Ever heard of Hawaii, P? We do have tons and tons of sugar. We just happen to eat it, not drive with it.

Did you know that "burnt" sugar causes disipation of the ozone layer? Those damn Brazilians are gonna get us killed! :shock:

Deputy Nutz
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Did you know that "burnt" sugar causes disipation of the ozone layer? Those damn Brazilians are gonna get us killed! :shock:

Brazilian Chicks are hot. They always have the best Sand Beach Volleyball teams

LL2
06-25-2008, 09:48 AM
2008 Think City

Battery: Hot-cell sodium battery (28 kilowatt-hours, 380 volts) or lithium-ion battery (26 kilowatt-hours, 380 volts)

Standard equipment: Front airbags, anti-lock brakes, regenerative braking, power steering, power windows and door locks

0-50 in 16 seconds! :shock: I can see the line behind the driver of one of those if they go one the highway. With a range of 112 miles it'll only be good for city driving and short commutes.

LL2
06-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Its too bad we don't have literal tons and tons of sugar. Brazil is lucky.

Partial…this is assuming you’d want all this sugar turned into ethanol. Ethanol is horrible in mpg, and is really not a cheaper alternative. I mentioned this above, but I think Biodiesel is the best solution. No new technology needed. Diesel engines have been around forever, can be made from renewable sources we already have, and can also be made from the millions of tons of grease that restaurants get rid of every day. The only thing is that in the northern states you can’t use B100 for the few really cold months, but you can go with a B20 or B50. There is a non-profit that makes biodiesel not to far from where I live that I plan on checking out. I talked to one of the members and he said they make biodiesel for a little over $1 a gallon.

Freak Out
06-25-2008, 11:31 AM
2008 Think City

0-50 in 16 seconds! :shock: I can see the line behind the driver of one of those if they go one the highway. With a range of 112 miles it'll only be good for city driving and short commutes.

That's why were fucked. It's a real inconvenience to only be able to go 0-60 in 16 seconds? Oh my god the sky is falling! Do you understand just how much fuel you save driving 55 as opposed to 70 in a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle?
The point of the vehicle is city commuting and short commutes. The cost of the battery lease has to be brought down but who knows....in a few years that could look like a deal.

LL2
06-25-2008, 12:53 PM
2008 Think City

That's why were fucked. It's a real inconvenience to only be able to go 0-60 in 16 seconds? Oh my god the sky is falling! Do you understand just how much fuel you save driving 55 as opposed to 70 in a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle?
The point of the vehicle is city commuting and short commutes. The cost of the battery lease has to be brought down but who knows....in a few years that could look like a deal.

I agree, but even with $4 gas Americans want their power. I try to conserv fuel by coasting down some of the hills on the way to work, and by doing a couple other things. I still do the speed limit, but I awlays have people pass me up.

Freak Out
06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
2008 Think City

I agree, but even with $4 gas Americans want their power. I try to conserv fuel by coasting down some of the hills on the way to work, and by doing a couple other things. I still do the speed limit, but I awlays have people pass me up.

Alaskans are the worst....you should see the vehicles people commute in up here. I know some want to sell them and can't but what was the point of buying one in the first place? It's just insane for one person to drive around in a Dodge Hemi pickup truck all the time....even when fuel was $2 a gallon. It's not like they had to drag a snowmobile or a fucking bull moose back and forth to work or something.

Freak Out
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Fuck OPEC. This is never going to end until we smarten up. Park the guzzlers and start some serious conservation programs. There are at least two commodities markets that need to be shut down....this overnight trading and shady non-auditable shit has to be taken out of the equation. Memo to the FED and monetary policy fucks: Stop with the weak dollar policy BS please.....you're fucking over America. Maybe not lowering the rate yesterday will help somewhat....ya right. You can talk all you want about how "we believe in a strong dollar" but you're actions speak volumes. Fuck you.

I still don't feel better.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Do you understand just how much fuel you save driving 55 as opposed to 70 in a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/DOTSmusic/sammy_haggar.jpg

Sammy says:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/ssminnow7/blogs/i_cant_drive_55.jpg

Freak Out
06-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Do you understand just how much fuel you save driving 55 as opposed to 70 in a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb237/DOTSmusic/sammy_haggar.jpg

Sammy says:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/ssminnow7/blogs/i_cant_drive_55.jpg

Can't argue with the Red Rocker!

55 is slow....but pretty efficient.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I can see driving slow back East of the Mississippi, but out West we need to drive fast. Stuff is way more spread out.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I can see driving slow back East of the Mississippi, but out West we need to drive fast. Stuff is way more spread out.

To save what?...like 15 minutes per hour max?

MadtownPacker
06-26-2008, 09:01 PM

To save what?...like 15 minutes per hour max?If we go by the 15 minutes an hour your brilliantness estimates then that is a lot of fucking time over the course of a week.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM

To save what?...like 15 minutes per hour max?If we go by the 15 minutes an hour your brilliantness estimates then that is a lot of fucking time over the course of a week.

You don't look at that way. At least i wasn't. I was looking at it per day.

If, and a HUGE if, you have to drive one full hour on the freeway..then you would save that amount of time. But, how many out west are actually driving that amount...surely not on the 405.

So, let's half that...you save 15 minutes per day...so, 75 minutes per week. That ain't much savings.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Most of the speed limits in the rural West are 75. Most people drive 80.

retailguy
06-26-2008, 10:59 PM

I drive 80 east of the mississippi... :shock:

:oops:

TheCheese
06-27-2008, 04:49 PM

This is the truth, and the I-15 north from San Bernardino to Barstow usually has everyone going 90+.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Where exactly is the rural west? And, if you are out in the rural areas..how far do you generally drive for work?

2.5 hours a week ain't that much savings...in fact, it is what many of us face on the freeways sitting in traffic. Welcome to the real world rural west.