PDA

View Full Version : 2008 OFFICIAL DRAFT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Rastak
04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Gholston:

Strengths: Has the physical tools to develop into an every-down impact defender in the NFL. Possesses adequate height and bulk, but few prospects have a better physique. Very little body fat. Powerfully built with explosive strength for his size. Displays very good initial burst  not elite level of Dwight Freeney (Colts), but only a notch below. Uses a wide array of pass rush moves. Can beat OT's with speed, power and fluid double moves. He's the only defender in past two years (from what we saw on film) to give Michigan OT Jake Long problems. He is strong enough to take on some blockers and anchor versus the run. Plays with good discipline. Seals off the end versus the run and will take on bigger blockers when asked to. He does an adequate job of protecting his legs as he works across the line on runs away from him. Hard worker off-the-field and obviously puts in more than fair share of time in the weight room.

Weaknesses: Flashes upper-echelon skills but he's not consistent enough. Is strong but lacks ideal height/bulk to consistently anchor at the line versus bigger blockers. Would need to add some bulk in order to hold up as a fulltime end in a four-man front in the NFL. Still raw dropping into coverage and will need time to develop that aspect of his game  assuming he's used to some degree as a hybrid end-linebacker type. Played in a heavy rotation at Ohio State, which kept him fresh  a luxury he is not likely to have as a high picks in the NFL.

Overall: Gholston played sparingly in six games as a freshman in 2004 and was redshirted in 2005 after breaking his hand in the season opener. He emerged as a force a year later and didn't miss a start in his last two seasons. In 2006, he finished with 8.5 sacks, 49 tackles and an interception. Last year Gholston set single-season (14) and single-game (four) school sack records on his way to being named a second-team All-America selection. He returned a fumble for a touchdown and posted 15.5 tackles for loss (for a career total of 30.5). It can get frustrating studying Gholston on film because he's inconsistent. There are times when he is flat-out dominant and there are other times that he will disappear. However, most of his best performances came in the Buckeyes' biggest games (notched four combined sacks in last two outings versus rival Michigan). Gholston has the potential to play wide-end in a four-man front and/or rush-linebacker in a 3-4 alignment. He is one of the top pass rushers in this year's class and his combine performance only verified his explosiveness in that regards. As a result, Gholston is a likely top-10 selection in the 2008 draft.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Pats try and trade back a couple picks?

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 02:46 PM
DRC goes to the Pats here I think.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
This just in...a representative for the Patriots was just apprehended outside the Jets war room with some kind of filming type device...pictures at 11.

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Great pick by the Chiefs. They were lucky to get him. Now if they can do some damage at 17 by getting a QB like Flacco or Brohm, they'll be much better off. I think they can get a D-end later.

Think they would be better to find a RB or WR at 17 than jumping on one of those guys that high.

I know you are supposed to go BPA, but the Chiefs have sucky QB's.

I just don't think there's any reason to think that either of those guys bring anything more to the team than Croyle. Seems they should give him a chance at a full season before using another pick on a QB prospect.

red
04-26-2008, 02:48 PM

could be, take a chance on the guy with the most potential in the draft because they really don't have a single need

Charles Woodson

I think they would like to, but theres no one avalible thats really coveted. I think they woulda liked Gholston, may go Harvey

Carolina_Packer
This is where TT jumps up and makes a big splash.

pbmax
Might be harder to move back now, as the Ravens are probably having a firesale as well now that the QB is gone. Assuming that wasn't a smokescreen.

Lurker64
The Saints have to look to be trading up either here or to Baltimore's place, there's no way Ellis is going to get past Cincinatti and the Saints need a DT.

Of course, the Bengals also need a DT and might also be looking to trade up.

It's good to not need a DT, isn't it?

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 02:49 PM

could be, take a chance on the guy with the most potential in the draft because they really don't have a single need

They lost Samuel and Gay, so this would fill a relative need as well

Rastak

I think they would like to, but theres no one avalible thats really coveted. I think they woulda liked Gholston, may go Harvey

Maybe Ellis......I bet they'd like to trade back but you gotta find a partner as you say.

Fritz
Pats. Hate 'em. They'll prolly trade back three spots or so and get somebody's extra second.

red
04-26-2008, 02:51 PM
wow, trade to saints

Gunakor
Pats trade with Saints, NO is on the clock

Carolina_Packer
Trade

Rastak
As predicted......Pats dish the pick.

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 02:52 PM
The rest of the league's doing it's best to help the Pats get better.

Charles Woodson
As predicted......Pats dish the pick.

Good deal for both

Carolina_Packer
So, Sedrick Ellis?

red
who would the saints trade up for?

Rastak
So, Sedrick Ellis?

I'm guessing so, yea.

pbmax
Or not.

Might be harder to move back now, as the Ravens are probably having a firesale as well now that the QB is gone. Assuming that wasn't a smokescreen.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Ellis:

Strengths: A disruptive, penetrating interior defensive lineman. At his best in a one-gap scheme but has some versatility due to experience as a nose tackle and three-technique. He is extremely disruptive versus the run. Displays outstanding initial burst and wins most of his battles with first-step quickness. Shows outstanding body control and stays on his feet. Uses long arms to keep separation and does an excellent job of disengaging from blocks and keeping on the move. Exceptional technique; uses his hands effectively and his feet never stop moving. Recognition skills are very good and he's athletic enough to change directions and pursue once he penetrates the backfield. He consistently generates pressure as a pass rusher. Shows upper-echelon closing burst for his position and also does a good job of batting down passes once he realizes he's not getting to the QB. Plays with a great motor and works very hard on and off the field. Never gives up on a play and his effort is infectious.

Weaknesses: Undersized; lacks ideal height. Not an ideal fit for two-gap schemes. Durability has been of an issue; redshirted in 2003 due to injury that required surgery and missed three games in 2006 (Nebraska, Arizona and Washington State) due to right knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery.

Overall: Ellis arrived at USC in 2003 but took a medical redshirt year after suffering a midseason left ankle fracture that required surgery. In his first three active seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 34 games and made 86 tackles (16 for losses) and nine sacks. As a senior in 2007, he started all 13 games at nose guard and collected 58 tackles (12.5 for losses), 8.5 sacks and seven pass breakups on his way to first team All-America honors. Ellis missed three games in '06 after tearing cartilage in his right knee, which required arthroscopic surgery. He also had fluid drained from the knee in '07 and missed several practices but no games. Ellis did not time out well at the combine but he is a great football player, nonetheless. He has bulked up to 309 pounds and can play NT and/or DT at the next level. Thanks to an outstanding combination of quickness, power, technique and effort, Ellis proved in college to be nearly unblockable one-on-one  even versus top talent at the Senior Bowl. Ellis will be valued as a top-10 pick by teams in search of a playmaking one-gap interior lineman.

red
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
hmmmm ellis

Fritz
04-26-2008, 02:54 PM
So what did the Pats get in return?

Charles Woodson
Hmm, Jaguars

Rastak
Jags just traded up........Mayock says harvey's the guy.

BallHawk
Ravens trade to JAX.

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Baltimore trades w/ Jax back to #26, Jags are on the clock

red
trades all over now

ravens trade to jags

sucks for us, might have just taken away our leverage to trade our pick to a team needing a qb

Lurker64
Anybody have the terms of these trades? I was ordering chinese food.

Fritz
zI'm missing stuff. What did the Saints give up to the Pats, and what did the Jags give up?

SkinBasket
This thing's coming unhinged fast. TT's going to keep his cool and make out like a bandit.

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Jesus, JAX, you know what you traded up for. Make the fucking pick.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 02:56 PM

No terms released yet.......Jags moved up a bunch of spots.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 02:57 PM
zI'm missing stuff. What did the Saints give up to the Pats, and what did the Jags give up?

No word yet Fritz......actually, Pats got a 5th and a 3rd I just heard.

edit: maybe a 3rd and a switch of 5s?

Carolina_Packer
Jesus, JAX, you know what you traded up for. Make the fucking pick.

No shit

Lurker64
Looks like #7 and the Pats 5th for #10 and the Saint's third.

red
04-26-2008, 02:58 PM

well, byt the old trade chart it looks like the pats picked up a 3rd to go along with #10 for the #7 pick

ravens should get a lot from the jags for this move. jags maybe gave a first this year and next year to move from 26 to 8

either that or they just traded their whole draft

Rastak
04-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Looks like #7 and the Pats 5th for #10 and the Saint's third.

Yup.......not a bad deal for the Pats.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
So who do the Bengals take now?

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Thats underwhelming.

Charles Woodson
So i was 1 pick off with the Harvey pick. I knew this guy would be over picked

Rastak
Harvey to jax.....I don't like trading up that high for Harvey.

red
04-26-2008, 03:02 PM
haha, move up that far for a DE from florida

stupid move, don't these guys ever learn from others mistakes?

Rastak
Harvey:

Strengths: Is tall and well built with very long arms (35.4 inches) and big hands (9.3 inches). Has a quick first step for his size and can beat most blocker to the point of attack. He hugs the rail tightly as a pass rusher and wastes very little motion getting to the quarterback. Runs line stunts well and flashes an effective rip move when shoots inside. Changes directions well, flashes an effective spin move and can set tackles up to the outside before redirecting inside. Has a mean streak and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit when gets to the quarterback. Keeps head up, times jumps well and can get hands on passes when doesn't get to the quarterback. Shows good awareness and locates the ball quickly. Moves well laterally and does a nice job of scraping down the line of scrimmage. Stays home when plays goes away from him and generally does a nice job of setting the edge when opponents attack the perimeter to his side. Takes sound pursuit angles, closes down cutback lanes and has sideline-to-sideline range. Plays under control in space, wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler. While doesn't have much experience dropping into coverage, is quick and athletic enough to hold own in zone coverage once he gains experience in this area.

Weaknesses: Is quicker than fast. Shows good initial burst but lacks elite closing quickness as a pass rusher. Though tough, he lacks ideal lower body strength, doesn't always stay low to the ground and struggles to anchor when teams run at him. Can deliver a power punch at times but doesn't always use hands well and takes too long to long to shed blocks when gets reached. Relies on quickness too much and occasionally tries to sidestep blocks rather than stacking them up. Doesn't protect legs all that well and is vulnerable to cut blocks. Appears to pull up when blockers are able to get into position and effort is inconsistent.

Overall: Florida red-shirted Harvey in 2004 and he appeared in nine games of the 2005 season. Harvey stated all 14 games of the 2006 season and recorded 11 sacks that year. He started all 13 games of the 2007 season recording 32 total tackles, 11 tackles-for-loss, 4.5 quarterback sacks and three quarterback-hurries. Harvey lacks ideal top-end speed and he also needs to improve his lower-body strength in order to take on bigger NFL blockers in the run game. While he is not quite as explosive as former Gator line-mate Jarvis Moss (Broncos), Harvey is a more complete player at this point. He possesses very good initial burst and athletic ability for his size. We think Harvey can develop into a good every-down starter in a 4-3 scheme at the next level, which is why we give him a slightly higher grade than the one we gave a year ago to Moss, who was selected 17th overall.

Carolina_Packer
You didn't know you were taking Harvey when you traded up? I think the Jags war room was ordering chinese food and made us all wait. Take a drink guys, Mel said reach.

Lurker64
Weird draft so far: 3 DEs, 2 DTs, 1 OT, 1 QB, 1 RB.

HarveyWallbangers

You have a problem with me?
:D

I agree.

Well, have a wedding to go to and probably won't be back until late tonight.

red
So who do the Bengals take now?

aquid talib? or another guy with a long record

BallHawk
The pick is Rivers.

SkinBasket
04-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Looks like Partial's running the JAX war room.

Rastak

You have a problem with me?
:D

I agree.

Well, have a wedding to go to and probably won't be back until late tonight.

No no, you'd be worth trading up to get at DE.....but not the other one.

PaCkFan_n_MD
Not a fan of that move either.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Hopefully Harvey does not equal Jamal Reynolds. I thought that set the Packers back a bit. We paid too high a price to move up.

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Terms of the NE/NO trade:

New England traded #7 to New Orleans for #10 and #78

red
well, #8 is worth 1400 points

26 was worth 700,

58 is worth 320

89= 145

they don't even come close to having enough points this year to move up that far

it has to include next years 31 and maybe this years #2

Rastak
Hopefully Harvey does not equal Jamal Reynolds. I thought that set the Packers back a bit.

He has that bust potential. I didn't view any of the DE's as can't miss elite players. That's one of the reasons I was okay with the Vikings trading that 17 (and 2 3's) for Allen, a proven player. Long should be solid but I'm not 100% sure of the other guys.

Charles Woodson
wow only 2 3rds and a 4th?

SkinBasket
Hopefully Harvey does not equal Jamal Reynolds. I thought that set the Packers back a bit.

It's going to be worse given what they must have given up to move that far.

Lurker64
Ouch, did I hear correctly that Jacksonville gave up their first, two thirds, and a fourth? Ouch.

That's a very expensive reach.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
wow only 2 3rds and a 4th?

I wonder how that looks on the new trade chart.......

SkinBasket
Ouch, did I hear correctly that Jacksonville gave up their first, two thirds, and a fourth? Ouch.

Yup.

Gunakor

Well, they did move up 18 spots in the first round. I'm not suprised it cost so much.

red
hmm, i didn't know they had 2 thirds

so they did just about trade away their whole draft. a first 2 thirds and a 4th

point wise, the jags got a steal

BallHawk
LOL at the Begnals Draft Party.

Charles Woodson

Yea but they moved up a ton, i mean yea it may seem alot, but it wasnt that bad... I think the Jaguars got the best part

Good pick with rivers

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
polite golf applause for Rivers from the NY crowd

Rastak
1st LB off the board......

Strengths: Possesses outstanding size; is well built for his taller frame. Also has long arms (33), huge hands (11) and a strong upper body (24 reps). Not an elite athlete, but he does have good speed and athleticism for his size. Makes up for what he lack in terms of elite athleticism with great recognition skills. He is smart, tough and instinctive. Shows very good awareness. Rarely takes false steps. Is a striker as a tackler. Will make some big hits due to his short area explosiveness. Uses hands well to keep off of blocks. He refuses to stay blocked. Takes excellent angles in pursuit. Displays good range in zone coverage. Also is an underrated pass rusher. Has developed a better array of pass rush moves, hugs the rail as he turns the corner as an outside rusher and displays surprising closing burst to the QB. Knows how to jar the ball loose and generates more than his share of forced fumbles. Plays with a very good motor and will wear blockers down. Never gives up on a play and will show tremendous effort when pursuing from the backside. He's always flying around the field. Leads by example.

Weaknesses: Plays too high at times and loses his power when he does. Does a great job of sifting through traffic but needs to learn to anchor better when he's forced to take on blocks in the phone booth. Shows a bit of stiffness in his hips. Will struggle to keep with elite pass-catching RB's in the NFL on double moves and when forced to turn and run. Not an established playmaker in coverage. Good range in coverage but lacks ideal ball skills. Durability is a minor concern.

Overall: Rivers appeared in 37 games in his first three seasons at USC (2004-'06), recording 162 tackles (13.5 for losses), 5.5 sacks and two interceptions. As a senior in 2007, he played 12 games (11 starts) at weak-side linebacker, turning in 78 tackles (five for losses), three fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and four pass breakups. He missed a game (Arizona State) in 2007 after spraining his left ankle, which had required arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs earlier in the spring. He also missed two games in 2005 and was limited in others because of a hamstring strain. Rivers possesses very good  but not exceptional  overall physical tools. His outstanding combination of instincts, work ethic and experience is what separates him from other linebackers with similar skill sets. While he is the top rated linebacker on our 2008 board, Rivers is a notch below elite talents such as A.J. Hawk (Packers) and Patrick Willis (49ers) from recent NFL drafts. Some teams could consider him at inside linebacker but Rivers seems best suited to play the WILL in a 4-3 scheme. He should be selected in the middle portion of the first round.

Bretsky
I don't like the Baltimore trade for Green Bay

Baltimore was one of the teams I thought might try to trade up for a QB in round 2. Atlanta was another.

At 26 Baltimore may draft a QB
Atlanta already drafted theirs

It may be getting harder for TT to trade down

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 03:09 PM
KEITH RIVERS ???

Did they forget about my man Odell Thurman ?? :?:

Carolina_Packer
tons of CB's on the board still...that's good

SkinBasket
Think we'll see another NE trade?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Baltimore was one of the teams I thought might try to trade up for a QB in round 2. Atlanta was another.

True, but he may have a solid Safety or Corner sitting there for him at 30.

Charles Woodson
Pats go O-line

Lurker64
At the same time it might be easier for TT to trade down. If there's only 1 or 2 top flight QBs left at 30 (say, Flacco and Henne), teams that need to jump up for a QB might be more desperate since after Ryan, Brohm, Flacco, and Henne the cupboard is pretty bare in terms of "guys who can play this year."

Carolina_Packer

Smart move by Ozzie Newsome. He must be happy to get either Brohm, Flacco or Henne at 26th, whoever he likes from that group.

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 03:11 PM

True, but he may have a solid Safety or Corner sitting there for him at 30.

I'm OK with Philips; I expect Cason or Flowers to be there.

But I'd still prefer a trade down

Rastak
McKelvin or Jenkins?

Brohm
No run on OL or DB yet....

Bretsky
At the same time it might be easier for TT to trade down. If there's only 1 or 2 top flight QBs left at 30 (say, Flacco and Henne), teams that need to jump up for a QB might be more desperate since after Ryan, Brohm, Flacco, and Henne the cupboard is pretty bare in terms of "guys who can play this year."

Are there any other teams desperate enough ?

Rastak

Smart move by Ozzie Newsome. He must be happy to get either Brohm, Flacco or Henne at 26th, whoever he likes from that group.

Flacco or Henne is the rumor.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Somebody needs to take out this Under Armour dictator. He seems dangerous.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
McKelvin or Jenkins?

I think DRC if any

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:13 PM

I like Flacco more than Henne. You?

Flacco or Henne is the rumor.

Lurker64

What does Kansas City not have? A QB other than Brody Croyle.
What does Kansas City have? 11 picks after #30.

Charles Woodson
Hmm, Mayo interesting pick

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Mayo!

Another LB........

Strengths: Possesses an outstanding combination of size, speed and athleticism. Keeps head up and locates the ball quickly. Reaches top speed quickly, aggressive and makes plays in the backfield. Moves well laterally and generally does a nice job of scraping down the line of scrimmage. Has above-average range, plays with a good motor and makes plays in pursuit. Plays fast and really closes in on ball carriers in a hurry. While he lacks brute strength, he does display explosive short-area power and will strike ball carriers  even from nearly a standstill position. Plays with a mean streak. Gets good depth, shows good awareness of routes once he reads pass and covers a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Displays fluid hips, changes directions well and shows good burst coming out of cuts when asked to match up in man coverage. Has adequate ball skills and flashes the ability to make plays in coverage. Plays with a good motor and has the potential to develop into a valuable special teams' contributor.

Weaknesses: Needs to improve his lower-body strength. He has jarring initial power but lacks the brute strength/wide base to anchor. Gets sucked up inside at times and is not a great phone booth player. At his best when he's protected. Doesn't use hands all that well and takes too long to shed blocks when offensive linemen are able to lock onto him. Doesn't always take sound pursuit angles and gets caught out of position at times. Will get caught lunging too much and still misses too many open-field tackles. Still has room to improve in terms of recognition skills in coverage. Gets turned around a little too much when asked to match up in man coverage and needs to improve footwork. Can be overaggressive, occasionally bites on play action and lacks the second gear when gets caught out of pursuit. Only effective as a pass rusher when he gets a clean lane to the QB. Gets caught up in traffic and really struggles to get off of blocks once reached. Missed five games with a knee injury in 2005 and durability is a concern.

Overall: Tennessee red-shirted Mayo in 2004. He started one of the six games he appeared in during the 2005 season. Mayo started 11 of the 12 games he appeared in during the 2006 season finishing with 83 total tackles, 53 unassisted tackles, 12.5 tackles-for-loss, five sacks and one fumble recovery. He played in all 14 games of the 2007 season finishing with a team-leading 140 total tackles, 79 unassisted tackles, 8.5 tackles-for-loss, 1.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one interception. Mayo has experience playing inside and outside linebacker at Tennessee. While he showed NFL potential in both spots, he seems like a more natural fit on the weak-side where he will get more protection. Mayo is far from a finished product. He is blessed with an outstanding combination of size, speed and athletic ability, which was on display at the combine. But in order to become a good starting linebacker in the NFL, he needs to be more consistent as an open-field tackler and learn to take on blocks more effectively. Mayo has too much potential to last long in Round 2  and that's if he doesn't sneak into the bottom of the first round.

red
big 3 cb's are already starting to slide down

Charles Woodson

they also have the 17th pick

Bretsky

Maybe, but they love Croyle; I don't know why

MAYO

Dude's a Player :!:

Now let's go on a OT run

Avoid the CB's :!:

Rastak

KC has Croyle and a developmental guy Thigpen.

GrnBay007
were all the boo's just because it was the Pats up?

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
yea

Bretsky

Yes, everybody is jealous

Gunakor
Mayo... Good pick I suppose. Thier LB's aren't getting any younger, and Mayo is going to be a solid LB in the NFL. Good for us because I really thought NE was going to go CB in round 1, so one less top flight CB taken off the board before we pick.

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2008, 03:16 PM
yes it was.

GrnBay007
yea

They're def. not America's team. :D

Bretsky

Why do I picture Packinpatland wearing the black stuff under both eyes with a JETS uniform on screaming boos as well and cussing out Bellichek ?? :!:

Lurker64
KC has Croyle and a developmental guy Thigpen.

I still think that it makes sense for the Chiefs to give up very little to trade up to 30 to get another QB ahead of Miami and give up some later round picks. It's going to be hard for Kansas City to fit 13 guys including 2 first and 2 thirds under the rookie salary cap.

Charles Woodson
Im hoping Buffalo takes a Wr

Rastak
yea

They're def. not America's team. :D

It's New York...huge rivalry with Boston.....

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Shefter says McKelvin.

Gunakor

Not likely. NFLN is in unanimous agreement that Leodis McKelvin will be the pick here.

Bretsky
Mayo... Good pick I suppose. Thier LB's aren't getting any younger, and Mayo is going to be a solid LB in the NFL. Good for us because I really thought NE was going to go CB in round 1, so one less top flight CB taken off the board before we pick.

Would be nice to see a OT run now; with Baltimore trading down we may not find as many takers to trade up for a QB

I can see a good CB or DE falling into our laps

And then TT will take the RB or WR :lol:

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Shefter says McKelvin.

I hope they reach and take Devin Thomas...more CB's left on the board then.

PaCkFan_n_MD
I can't believe no cb's gone yet. wow.

red
the draft does seem to be going fast. i love that they start the clock as soon as the previous 10 minutes are up

red
04-26-2008, 03:19 PM
shit, here comes the run on what we need

Rastak
McKelvin:

Strengths: Is a fluid, smooth and explosive athlete. Displays very quick feet and leverage in-and-out of pedal. Shows good technique and footwork in coverage. Explodes out of his pedal and typically gets a very good jump on the ball. He displays outstanding quick-twitch athleticism and change-of-direction skills. Can keep with quicker WR's on double moves and also shows the hip-fluidity and closing burst to turn and run with faster receivers on vertical routes. Is one of the elite PR prospects in the 2008 class. One of his three touchdown returns in 2007 came versus Big 12 opponent Oklahoma State. The 74-yard scamper (14:10 remaining in the 2nd quarter) shows the type of vision and breakaway speed he possesses.

Weaknesses: Is a finesse cover corner. Does not like to support the run and will avoid contact if at all possible. Plays a lot of man-off coverage and needs to improve his ability to press WR's at the line of scrimmage. Bigger WR's usually can dictate their routes. Despite outstanding experience in the return game, he displays marginal ball skills. He knocks down too many passes he should pick off. Fights the ball too much as a PR, as well. Really needs to improve his hands in order to reach full potential on defense and in the return game in the NFL.

Overall: McKelvin arrived at Troy in 2004 and immediately contributed as a kick return specialist and reserve cornerback. He didn't start in his first two seasons (2004-'05), but he played 23 games and had 47 tackles (including one sack), six pass breakups and an interception (which he returned 71 yards for a touchdown). Over his final two seasons (2006-'07), he started all 25 games at left cornerback for the Trojans, recording 126 tackles (3.5 for losses), five forced fumbles, three interceptions and 16 pass breakups. For his career, McKelvin also had 112 punt returns for 1,471 yards (13.1 average) and seven TDs, plus 99 kickoff returns for 2,346 yards (23.7 average) and another score. He suffered a left shoulder sprain during the offseason in 2005 and underwent surgery for a right ankle fracture in 2006, but he missed no games as a result of the injuries. McKelvin is still a work in progress at cornerback and he will never be an overly physical defender. In addition, he needs to improve his ball skills in order to maximize his enormous potential as a playmaker with the ball in his hand. However, McKelvin is one of the fastest and most fluid cornerbacks in the 2008 class. He's also the second-most dangerous punt return specialist behind Cal's DeSean Jackson, which should propel him into the top half of the first round.

Charles Woodson

Not likely. NFLN is in unanimous agreement that Leodis McKelvin will be the pick here.

yea i know, thats what ive been watching. Damn, alright OL run, leave jenkins to us PLEASE

Chubbyhubby
First CB taken McKelvin to Buffalo Bills.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:20 PM

yea i know, thats what ive been watching. Damn, alright OL run, leave jenkins to us PLEASE

Hmm, I'd be surpirsed if he was there at 30. TT has the ammo to go get him though.

Chubbyhubby
04-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I bet we will take #30 someone nobody knows about. Straight from Left Field. Typica; TT move.

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Hmm, I'd be surpirsed if he was there at 30. TT has the ammo to go get him though.

If Cason goes before Jenkins then I'd say trade up to get him. As long as Cason is still on the board I wouldn't trade to high up for Jenkins. I would grade them about the same.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Broncos......Merling? Sweed? Mendenhal? Jenkins?

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Broncos......Merling? Sweed? Mendenhal? Jenkins?

Ryan Clady

Rastak
Ah Clady.........safe move to get a tackle......

red
hmmm, clady here

Carolina_Packer
Love how fast this is going. Merling, I mean Clady.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:24 PM

If Cason goes before Jenkins then I'd say trade up to get him. As long as Cason is still on the board I wouldn't trade to high up for Jenkins. I would grade them about the same.

I woulda said the same yesterday, but i did some more reading, i would rank Jenkins higher, he seems more like a natural Man CB

Rastak
Clady:

Strengths: Displays excellent initial quickness and overall agility for his size. Very effective pulling and getting out on second-level as a run blocker. Gets adequate hand placement and has above-average balance. Can seal the edge when asked to reach defenders lined up over outside shoulder. Gets set quickly in pass pro. Has very little trouble with speed rushers. Can mirror and slide versus double moves. A natural knee bender. Extends long arms once in position and can ride edge rushers past the pocket when he gets his hands on them. Plays under control and appears comfortable when left on an island. Gets into defenders legs when goes low and is an effective cut blocker. Works from the snap until the whistle and looks to throw blocks downfield.

Weaknesses: Does not show great lower body strength and is going to have problems driving defenders off the ball in short-yardage situations. Lacks ideal explosiveness, hasn't learned how to roll hips into blocks and fails to knock many defenders back at the point of attack. Occasionally will get beat by inside quickness. Needs to learn to set while staying more balanced. Can be overaggressive, lunges a little too much and is vulnerable to push-pull moves. While shows adequate awareness in pass protection and helps out when nothing comes to him, over commits at times and has some problems picking up delayed blitzes. Big enough to hold ground but bends at the waist rather than the knees and is going to have some problems holding ground working against NFL caliber bull rushers. Can get jumpy when defenders start jumping around before the snap and he's vulnerable to false starts.

Overall: Clady redshirted in 2004. In his first active season at Boise State (2005), he made 11 starts at right tackle. In 2006 he moved to left tackle, where he was the starter in all 26 games over the next two seasons. He was a second team All-America selection in 2007. Like a lot of young offensive linemen, Clady needs to get stronger and sharpen his technique. However, he clearly has the frame, quickness, agility and work ethic to quickly develop into a quality starter at left tackle in the NFL. Clady projects as a mid-first round pick, as a result.

Chubbyhubby
Ryan Clady Denver Broncos

Rastak
Panthers on the clock.....

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:25 PM

I think Chris Williams is a lock

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Mendenhall to Carolina. They need him.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:26 PM

That would be a solid pick....the RB would work too.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Could be Merling

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Mendenhall to Carolina. They need him.

They let go of their Tackle, they need another one

DonHutson
04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd like to see Otah snatched away from the Bears.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
wowser

Charles Woodson
Damn

J-stew to the Panthers
That was a surprise

red

he should be dropping fast because of a neck injury

stewarts gone

Gunakor
WOW!!

Rastak
They go RB:

Stewart

Strengths: Is a compactly built back with excellent body control. Shifty and quick; he runs low to the ground and has good change-of-direction skills. Shows very good initial quickness and also displays a second-gear when he gets through the line of scrimmage. Has made significant strides in terms of vision and patience as a runner throughout his career. Displays reliable hands as a receiver. Gets up the field quickly after the catch and can be a huge weapon when he catches the ball on the run in space. Has size and strength to anchor (when in position) versus blitzing linebacker in pass pro. Displays excellent potential as a kick return specialist and was one of the nation's best when allowed to spend time in that facet of the game.

Weaknesses: Durability is a big concern. Has battled injuries throughout his career. Always seems to be nicked. Has limited experience carrying the full load. He's compactly built and strong, but he's not a power back. He doesn't look to initiate contact much and he will run out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulder for extra yards on occasion. He goes down a bit too easily at times, as well. Not overly physical as a blocker. Still has room to improve in terms of awareness as a pass blocker. Will take some poor angles and doesn't always appear to be confident in his assignment.

Overall: Even as a freshman reserve in 2005, Stewart was able to make his mark, scoring nine touchdowns on just 72 touches as a runner, receiver and kickoff returner. Despite injuries, he played 13 games in 2006 and ran for 981 yards and 10 TDs. He also had 20 receptions for 144 yards and another score. In 2007, his first season as Oregon's feature back, Stewart established new school single-season marks in rushing yards (1,722) and all-purpose yards (2,481), leading the Pac-10 in both categories. He finished his junior season with 13 total touchdowns, adding 145 receiving yards on 22 catches. In three seasons, he averaged 28.7 yards and scored two TDs on kickoff returns. Stewart has battled durability issues throughout his career, but he also has shown toughness playing through several injuries. If he can avoid the injury bug at the next level, Stewart has a chance to emerge as one of the premier playmakers at the running back position. He is a compact runner with an outstanding combination of quickness, vision, body control and open-field burst. He also brings versatility to the table with soft hands as a receiver and an outstanding collegiate resume returning kicks. Stewart should be one of the top-three running backs selected in the 2008 NFL draft  likely in the mid-to-late portion of the first round.

Charles Woodson

stewarts gone

Neck injury?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Otah would be a good pick for the Bears......

or a RB.......Benson sucks....and they need a WR badly.......

Gunakor
Did anyone see Stewart going before Mendenhall?

DonHutson
Otah and Mendenhall is some order to Bears and Lions.

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:30 PM
So, do the Bears go QB or Mendenhall?

Lurker64
Stewart does make some sense to the Panthers. That offense really needs a running game to take the pressure off the QB. They need about 47 offensive tackles, but the draft is deep on them.

Charles Woodson
Did anyone see Stewart going before Mendenhall?

Not really, But Stewarts a better fit than mendenhall to the Panthers.. Stew can be more of a bruiser

The Leaper
Belichick sporting the pinky pink...pussy.

red

stewarts gone

Neck injury?

yup, word earlier today was that he was being taken off some boards becasue of neck and cervical injuries

motife
rest of the top 40 :
# rnk
1 9 Branden Albert, OG-OT, Virginia
2 14 Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
3 16 Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
4 17 Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
5 18 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
6 19 Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
7 20 Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
8 21 Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
9 22 Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
10 23 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
11 24 Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
12 25 Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
13 26 Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
14 27 Sam Baker, OL, USC
15 28 Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State
16 29 Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
17 30 Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
18 31 Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma
19 32 Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
20 33 Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fla
21 34 DeSean Jackson, WR, California
22 35 Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
23 36 DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State
24 37 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
25 38 Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
26 39 Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
27 40 Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (Fla

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I wonder how Stewart will do in the ZBS that Carolina uses?

DonHutson
04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
B. Albert is still there? Could be him also. That's probably the pick I make if I'm the Bears.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Bears have so many holes they could go 3 ways here.......

I'll say Mendenhall.

motife
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
does Bellichick ever get a haircut? Or just doesn't know what decade we're in.

Pink shirt with a pink tie. Nice.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
B. Albert is still there? Could be him also. That's probably the pick I make if I'm the Bears.

Well i havent got many picks right in my mock, but thats who i had them taking.. They need a Guard, and could also use a Tackle. Alberts is versatile and im not going to jinx it but it could be the pick

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:34 PM

Well i havent got many picks right in my mock, but thats who i had them taking.. They need a Guard, and could also use a Tackle. Alberts is versatile and im not going to jinx it but it could be the pick

They also badly need a WR and could sure use a RB. I agree on the OL need.

Charles Woodson
LOOL
NFLN
Brian Billick talked to Billicheat about their superbowl lost. Sounds like Billichek is still a sore loser

Charles Woodson

To get the best value, they need to drop down to take a WR

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
I just sat down to start watching.

My thoughts so far...

Ryan is such a mistake for Atlanta. That kid has nothing around him, and is doomed to fail in the pattern of Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, etc, etc.

Cinci finally made a smart pick with Rivers...too bad that it might be too late, as the team seems to be in a downward spiral right now.

New England scored with Mayo...he'll be a fabulous player in their system.

Does Detroit take a WR?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:36 PM

To get the best value, they need to drop down to take a WR

Yes, I agree on that......although at 14 we are getting close to where some WR might start coming off the board...kind of a weak class though.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I just sat down to start watching.

My thoughts so far...

Ryan is such a mistake for Atlanta. That kid has nothing around him, and is doomed to fail in the pattern of Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, etc, etc.

Cinci finally made a smart pick with Rivers...too bad that it might be too late, as the team seems to be in a downward spiral right now.

New England scored with Mayo...he'll be a fabulous player in their system.

Does Detroit take a WR?

Probably Merling.......

Gunakor
Does Detroit take a WR?

Na, I think Millen will finally be satisfied with his WR's in Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. I bet he goes for a RB and picks Mendenhall.

Charles Woodson
The bears disregard the neck injury and takes Chris Williams

Rastak
Williams to the NFC North.......

Strengths: Possesses a massive frame; is tall with good bulk, adequate arm length (33.5) and big hands (10). Displays very good overall mobility for his size, including quickness in his pass pro set. Does a very good job of using his long arms to ride pass rushers wide while he's still getting set. Displays great footwork and gets excellent hand placement. While he may not jar defenders at the point of contact, he can lock on and then sustain his blocks. He can engulf bigger defenders once he's in position and engaged. Displays versatility with experience at guard and tackle. He has been durable throughout his career.

Weaknesses: Still too much of a finesse player. Lacks explosive upper-body power. Does not jar defenders at the point of attack. Lacks the base and lower body power to drive defenders off the line of scrimmage in the run game.

Overall: Williams redshirted in 2003 and was ineligible in 2004, when he changed majors and didn't qualify to play football under Vanderbilt's stringent academic standards. In his first active season (2005), he appeared in 11 games and started the final nine at left guard, also taking game reps at left tackle. Williams moved to left tackle for good as a junior, starting all 24 games at the position over his final two seasons (2006-'07). Williams is a left tackle prospect with great feet but a bit too much finesse to his game at this point. He lacks ideal upper-body strength, which was confirmed in only 21 reps on the bench press. He also lacks ideal physicality. However, Williams possesses very good mobility for his big frame and he typically can overcome below-average strength by using excellent technique and positioning. Thanks to a productive senior season, followed by excellent showings at the Senior Bowl and combine; Williams has built tremendous momentum heading into the 2008 draft. He should be one of the top-five offensive linemen selected  likely in the middle of the first round.

The Leaper
Ouch

The Bears need some playmakers, and they take a project LT.

Carolina_Packer
It would seem to set up for the Lions to take Mendenhall as predicted, but don't count out WR :lol:

Lurker64
04-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Huh? Does Williams make sense in the Power Running style the Bears use?

motife
rest of the Top 40 :

1 9 Branden Albert, OG-OT, Virginia
2 14 Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
3 16 Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
4 17 Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
5 18 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
6 19 Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
7 20 Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
8 21 Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
9 22 Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
10 23 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
11 24 Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
12 26 Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
13 27 Sam Baker, OL, USC
14 28 Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State
15 29 Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
16 30 Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
17 31 Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma
18 32 Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
19 33 Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fla
20 34 DeSean Jackson, WR, California
21 35 Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
22 36 DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State
23 37 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
24 38 Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
25 39 Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
26 40 Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (Fla

red
holy hell

good like with that bears

i would just like to say that it was the chicago sun times that said teams were taking him off their boards do to injuries

Harlan Huckleby
What if Mendenhall falls to Packers?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Schefter likes Mendenhall here......I'd probably take Merling or Jenkins.

DonHutson
The bears disregard the neck injury and takes Chris Williams

Softest OL this side of Sam Baker. I don't mind that in Chicago.

red

umm, WOW? jackpot?

Carolina_Packer

You have to grab him.

Bretsky

Then we draft him w/o looking back

LL2
The bears are dumb! Gotta love that though. I like the fact the draft is moving a lot faster!

DonHutson
04-26-2008, 03:40 PM

I'd be very surprised if he got by Arizona.

Bretsky
How can the Lions not go with the RB ??

red
packerchatters draft thread is all the way up to page 4 already

good job rats

Carolina_Packer

Did you see how many times Kitna got sacked last year. They need an OT in the worst way.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Did you see how many times Kitna got sacked last year. They need an OT in the worst way.

Otah is about all that's left for 1st round value.....

Chubbyhubby
Detroit Lions next- WR anyone?

Gunakor

You have to grab him.

Unless Branden Albert falls as well. Then I'd honestly have to take Albert.

red

albert would be good there

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:42 PM

You have to grab him.

If you're going to put him in the mix, then perhaps, yes. You can find RB's easier than quality O-lineman who last 10 years.

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:42 PM

You have to grab him.

Yea itn would be a dissapointing pick though

Interesting note, that DRC is still on the board

red
04-26-2008, 03:43 PM
lions trade

he wants a wr

Chubbyhubby
Lions TRADE!

Bretsky
COOL; CHIEFS MOVE UP

I'd think they go OL here

GrnBay007
Thanks Ras for posting the strength/weakness
and
motife for the rest of the top 40

You guys are great!

CaliforniaCheez
Major Reach by Patriots and Jaguars.

Rastak
Lions trade with KC.......hmmmmm, Albert would work (Mayock is suggesting this).

Charles Woodson
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
So does the Chiefs take Alberts?

GoPackGo
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Chiefs traded up for OL

GoPackGo
04-26-2008, 03:45 PM
So does the Chiefs take Alberts?
yes sir

red
Chiefs traded up for OL

good move, they only had to move up two spots, and they have the picks to burn

Charles Woodson
Chiefs win big time in the 1st round

Carolina_Packer
Way to get your pick in after trading up, KC. Great move by KC with Dorsey and Albert in the first round.

The Leaper
I wish we could've gotten Albert.

DonHutson
Some were suggesting Albert for them at #5. Getting Dorsey and Albert? Pretty good day for them.

motife
04-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Rest of the Top 40 :

1 14 Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
2 16 Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
3 17 Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
4 18 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State
5 19 Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
6 20 Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
7 21 Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
8 22 Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
9 23 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
10 24 Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
11 26 Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
12 27 Sam Baker, OL, USC
13 28 Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State
14 29 Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
15 30 Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
16 31 Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma
17 32 Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
18 33 Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fla
19 34 DeSean Jackson, WR, California
20 35 Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
21 36 DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State
22 37 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
23 38 Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
24 39 Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
25 40 Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (Fla

Brohm
Very nice by KC, strengthening the trenches.

Carolina_Packer
OK, so now does Mendenhall go to AZ? It would seem. Edge is getting long in the tooth.

Rastak
Smart move by KC.....what did the Lions get?

Strengths: Is tall and thickly built. Also has long arms and big hands. Shows a quick first, takes proper angles to assignments and gets into position quickly. Plays with a mean streak and drives legs once locked onto the defender. Has very good initial quickness for his size. Shows above-average range and can pull around the edge. Shows smooth footwork getting into pass sets and shuffles feet to stay in front of defenders. Gets adequate hand placement and extends arms once in position. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can adjust to line stunts as well as blitzes. Never missed a game because of an injury and is durable.

Weaknesses: Does not have overwhelming power and doesn't knock many defenders back with initial punch. Plays too high at times and is going to have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Runs well on a straight line but has some trouble hitting the moving target. Doesn't get great knee bend in pass sets and can get pushed back into the pocket. Appears to take plays off at times and may lack ideal endurance at this point.

Overall: Albert started all 37 of Virginia's games during his three-year career (2005-07), including two at offensive tackle in 2007. He allowed just one sack and received an All-ACC honorable mention in 2006. He was a first-team All-ACC selection in '07. Bottom line: Albert needs to improve his power at the point of attack and learn to get under defenders' pads. He also is a bit inconsistent when it comes to hitting the moving target as a second level run blocker. However, he is a massive guard with very good short-area quickness and tenacity. He could possibly move to ROT in the NFL but we think he fits best inside at guard, where he should quickly develop into an upper-echelon starter. He could be the top interior offensive lineman selected in 2008 draft  no later than the second round.

Charles Woodson
I wonder why they traded up... Like who else was looking to take Alberts?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Chiefs win big time in the 1st round

I agree, great drafting......

red
yeah, kc is doing a good job of rebuilding that team

get two solid linemen in the first round, one on each side of the ball

good moves

Charles Woodson
Lions got a 3rd and i think a 5th

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:48 PM

They were smart, they didn't wait to find out.

red
I wonder why they traded up... Like who else was looking to take Alberts?lions like i was predicting

Gunakor
Watch Arizona select Mendenhall here. Good job Millen.

The Leaper

Alberts is easily worth the trade...he's a tremendous guard prospect.

DonHutson
Where do the CB's go? DRC and Jenkins still on the board.

Supposedly one of our late 2nd rounders could get us up here. Is this the year?!

:shock:

pbmax
Lions picked up a 3rd (66th?) and a fifth.

Chubbyhubby
Which WR will Matt Mullin pick at #17?

Rastak
So, as someone said, Cards maybe grab Mendenhall.....

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks Motife. That list helps. Geez, I'm getting excited for what might be there at #30, although I have no clue what TT will do. You'd have to go Otah if he was there at 30, then think CB and development QB.

Rastak

You really like than line don't you?

Harlan Huckleby
Thompson might be thinking QB as soon as first round. Hope he looks hard at Starr out of Alabama.

SkinBasket
Lions picked up a 3rd (66th?) and a fifth.

That is the best move Millon has made in his tenure. Now lets see how they waste the 17th pick.

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Supposedly one of our late 2nd rounders could get us up here. Is this the year?!

Wait for the run to start before getting serious about it. If the run doesn't start until a bit later we might be able to get high enough with our 3rd.

Carolina_Packer

It's like a joke that always delivers.

motife
Lions got a 3rd and i think a 5th

In Matt Millen's hands, that's bad news for GB and the rest of the NFC North.

The Leaper
WRs are dropping like a brick at the moment.

red

oh would that be sweet

red
04-26-2008, 03:52 PM
WRs are dropping like a brick at the moment.

as they should

up until a week ago there wasn't a single one with a first round grade

Carolina_Packer
Thompson might be thinking QB as soon as first round. Hope he looks hard at Starr out of Alabama.

Nah, that would be a total reach. Here's who I have on my board at QB:

Tagge, Nebraska
Hunter, Alabama
Campbell, California
Dickey, Kansas State

Rastak

oh would that be sweet

Maybe the Lions grab Otah if Mendenhall is gone. They need to do something with that line.

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
HALFWAY TO OUR PICK

TIME TO LIST THE GUYS YOU'D LOVE TO SEE FALL TO 30; FEEL FREE TO LIST YOUR OWN ALSO

Mike Jenkins
Dominique Rodgers Cromartie
Rashard Mendenhall

GUYS I'D BE CONTENT WITH AT 30

Felix Jones
Antoine Cason
Brandon Flowers
Aqib Talib

red
shit

Charles Woodson
FUCK, DRC :cry: alright we need to get jenkins

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 03:54 PM

Will there ever be "the year" ? :lol:

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
CB to the Cards......

Cromartie:

Strengths: Possesses above average height with outstanding hip-fluidity for his frame and is also one of the fastest corners in this class. He has great feet and plays with good balance. Displays better technique than most small-school corners, especially in terms of his hands in press-technique. Gets decent knee bend in backpedal, explodes out of his pedal and shows exceptional closing burst. Is tall and can compete for jump balls. Can make up a lot of ground when the ball is in the air and will use long arms (32 ¾) to knock passes away when caught in a trail position. Reads quarterback's eyes, aggressive and jumps routes. Has good ball skills, is a playmaker in coverage and flashes the ability to pick up big chunks of yards after turnovers. Can contribute on special teams as a kick blocker (eight in his career) and a kick returner (6 TD returns) in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Played at a small school and there is some concern about ability to make the jump to the NFL. There are concerns regarding his toughness, as well. Does not support the run as aggressively as we would like to see and he must improve his efficiency as an open-field tackler. Does not possess great upper body strength, doesn't always use hands well and can take too long to shed blocks. Doesn't have great bulk for frame and bigger receivers will have some success shielding him from the ball. He has soft hands and will time his jumps well when he sees the ball but it occasionally takes him too long to find the ball in the air  particularly with his back turned covering the nine-route.

Overall: Rogers-Cromartie played in all of a possible 44 games during his Tennessee State career, making 38 consecutive starts (mostly at left cornerback) to close out his career. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he recorded 121 tackles (six for losses), nine interceptions, 14 pass breakups and three touchdown returns (two picks and one fumble). As a senior in 2007, he had 37 tackles (two for losses), two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns) and 11 pass breakups. Rogers-Cromartie also was a versatile special teams standout, occasionally appeared on offense and competed on the Tigers' track team. For his career, he had eight blocked kicks, 14 special teams tackles, averaged 23.9 yards on 36 kickoff returns and 7.3 yards on six punt returns, and scored a total of six touchdowns. An ankle sprain kept him from competing in the OVC Outdoor Track Championships in 2007. Bottom line: Rodgers-Cromartie is a playmaker who possesses a good blend of height and burst. However, he is a small-school prospect and he doesn't have elite size or speed raising concerns about his ability to compete at the NFL level. Cromartie, cousin of Chargers' standout CB Antonio Cromartie (first-round pick in 2006), has been one of the fastest rising prospects during the postseason draft process. He dominated his small school level of competition but his stock didn't begin to soar until he made his mark as one of the top playmakers at the Senior Bowl. Some scouts project him as a better fit at free safety but Rodgers-Cromartie displays outstanding feet and hip-fluidity for his size, which is why we think he's capable of playing cornerback fulltime in the NFL. Running the fourth-fastest 40-yard dash time of all the defensive backs at the combine doesn't hurt his case, either. Rodgers-Cromartie ranks among the top-three cornerback prospects in the 2008 class and he also has upside as a kick return man, which is why we expect him to be selected in the top-20 picks overall.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Lions take Otah or Mendenhall........

motife
Rest of Top 40 :

1 14 Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
2 16 Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
3 17 Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
4 19 Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
5 20 Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
6 21 Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
7 22 Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
8 23 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
9 24 Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
10 26 Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
11 27 Sam Baker, OL, USC
12 28 Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State
13 29 Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
14 30 Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
15 31 Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma
16 32 Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
17 33 Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fla
18 34 DeSean Jackson, WR, California
19 35 Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
20 36 DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State
21 37 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
22 38 Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
23 39 Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
24 40 Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (Fla

Chubbyhubby

Yes I do Lions have selected 6 straight #1 WR's

The Leaper
DRC certainly wasn't going to last to #30.

I'm guessing Talib will still be on the board at #30.

Gunakor
Cards select DRC, so Millen will probably take Mendenhall here. If he takes a CB then maybe, just maybe it might be worth looking into moving up a bit to make sure we can get one of the top CB's. Especially considering the Atlanta and Baltimore moves to get thier QB's, I don't know how many takers there would be at #30 to trade down with.

red

nah, he can go. i like flowers much better

Carolina_Packer
Geez, if Millen goes Mendenhall here and got what he got in trade, I'd say the guy has learned something in his tenure (finally).

Harlan Huckleby
04-26-2008, 03:56 PM
I have a hunch that Mendenhall is going to drop, maybe even to 2nd round.

He doesn't have first round speed. I like him, but I wonder if teams think that they can get players with nearly same potential in later rounds.

(If I'm right, I can claim genius status. If wrong, nobody will remember.)

red
DRC certainly wasn't going to last to #30.

I'm guessing Talib will still be on the board at #30.

i hope talib is filler for a team that wants a cb between now and us

CaliforniaCheez
Highest 3 left on my board

Mendenhall

Otah

Brohm

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 03:57 PM
The more I read about Sam Baker, the less I wanted him

You should probably just mark him down as pick 30 :lol:

red
LOL

Charles Woodson
Wow curve ball there

Lions take Gosder Cherilous

BallHawk
LOLOLOLOLOL

ESPN misses the Lions' pick.

DonHutson
If the Lions pass on Mendenhall, could he fall all the way to Dallas?

I don't know where I'd rather have him.

Tony Oday
lol wow that was a bad pick...

DonHutson
The more I read about Sam Baker, the less I wanted him

You should probably just mark him down as pick 30 :lol:

My exact feeling as well.

Carolina_Packer
I have a hunch that Mendenhall is going to drop, maybe even to 2nd round.

He doesn't have first round speed. I like him, but I wonder if teams think that they can get players with nearly same potential in later rounds.

They probably need O-line help more. Kitna was like a busy hooker last year.

red
lions have no clue

it would have been scary going against mendenhall twice a year

Bretsky
04-26-2008, 03:58 PM

nah, he can go. i like flowers much better

but he's a little runt ?

Rastak
04-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Lions take Cherilus - they badly needed an lineman.......not sure they got the right one......I see why they traded down.

Strengths: Has a massive frame and good feet for his size. His arms (36.2 inches) and hands (11.6 inches) are enormous. Plays with a mean streak. Is big enough to engulf defenders if he's in position, can wear them down over the course of a game and has the frame to add even more weight. Won't take many false steps, is efficient and generally gets into sound position. Drives legs once in position, shows above-average lower body strength and is a powerful run blocker that can get movement in short-yardage situations. Plays with good motor, stays under control when gets into space and is an effective downfield blocker. Efficiently gets into pass set and uses long arms to ride pass rushers past the pocket. Moves feet well for size, stays balanced and flashes the ability to counter double moves. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can pick up the blitz as well as line stunts.

Weaknesses: Plays entirely too high. Has quick feet for his size and good overall strength but both can be compromised by his marginal leverage. Though he gets good hand placement and rarely loses battle once locked on to the defender, he doesn't deliver a powerful initial punch. While big enough to hold ground most of the time, he bends at the waist rather than the knees and powerful bull rushers should have some success pushing back into the pocket.

Overall: Cherilus redshirted in 2003, had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in March 2003, and then went on to start every game in his playing career at Boston College. In his first three seasons (2004-06), he made 37 consecutive starts at right tackle. As a senior, he moved to left tackle and started all 14 games. Gosder needs to work on staying lower to the ground and he appears to be a better fit at right tackle than left tackle. Regardless, Cherilus is a four-year starter who possesses a very good overall talent, including a massive frame, quick feet for his size and a mean streak to finish off blocks. He projects as a late-first or early second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.