PDA

View Full Version : 2008 OFFICIAL DRAFT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2008, 05:30 PM
No problem. There are at least 3 others as good as Keller, some of whom will be there in the late 2nd. Good job Thompson.

red
Flowers is a short 5' 9" character who is slow!!

flowers is like a quarter inch shorter then the cb everyone wanted us to draft a half hour ago

CaliforniaCheez
It is just a 4th rounder to switch 6 spots.

motife
just pumped 200 lbs. ten times on the bench in the garage in celebration..

all out of breath...

Gunakor
So much for our TE!!!!

John Carlson, TE from Notre Dame would fit with one of the later 2nd round picks.

cpk1994
04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I hear Keller is a good receiver, but a turnstile blocker.That balances out Bubba Franks who is a good blocker, but a stone hands reciever.

motife
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM

six spots when there is hardly any difference in the next 15 players...

TT wasn't seeing any loss in value moving down.

MadtownPacker
NevermindYeah, thought you caught me slippin huh? 8-)

Carolina_Packer

all out of breath...

Pace yourself, guy! :lol:

The Leaper

At the end of the 1st...yes.

BF4MVP
NevermindYeah, thought you caught me slippin huh? 8-)
Pretty much. I should have known better 8-)

Tarlam!
Hi Everybody. Sorry I'm late, but my daughter debuted tonight.

Got back just in time to read TT traded the 30th, so I didn't mss anything...

MadtownPacker
04-26-2008, 05:33 PM

all out of breath...We dont want to hear about your sex life.

BallHawk
So much for our TE!!!!

John Carlson, TE from Notre Dame would fit with one of the later 2nd round picks.

Definitely. Highlights from scouting reports.

Terrific natural athlete

Runs well after the catch.

.Above average blocker

Very smart...A hard worker and leader

texaspackerbacker
Finley or Bennett, but not Carlson, I hope--and not with the first of our 2nds, I hope.

Guiness
trade down 7 spots, get a high 4th, which is almost a 3rd.

I like how the pick we gave up was almost a 2nd anyways, and the one we got is almost a 3rd :)

Yup. Homers only here!

BF4MVP
04-26-2008, 05:34 PM

I like how the pick we gave up was almost a 2nd anyways, and the one we got is almost a 3rd :)

Yup. Homers only here!
You got it :D

Tarlam!

all out of breath...We dont want to hear about your sex life.

Some of us do!!! 8-)

pittstang5
Finley or Bennett, but not Carlson, I hope--and not with the first of our 2nds, I hope.

What's wrong with Carlson?

Gunakor
04-26-2008, 05:35 PM

Yup. Homers only here!

Yeah, we traded an early second round pick for an early second round pick and a late 3rd round pick. We win.

red

What's wrong with Carlson?

he's from the north?

cpk1994
First round clocked in at 3:33.

motife
When you're drafting Daryn Colledge, Nick Collins, Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, Greg Jennings or James Jones's brother, moving 6 spots either way is nothing.

BF4MVP
Phillips

BallHawk
Good pick.

Charles Woodson
Giants take Philips

woodbuck27
One of these should be OUR's:

DEVIN THOMAS WR | Michigan St.

PHILLIP MERLING DE | Clemson

CALAIS CAMPBELL DE | Miami (FL)

QUENTIN GROVES DE | Auburn

BRANDON FLOWERS CB

KENNY PHILLIPS S

TYRELL JOHNSON S

Chad Henne QB | Michigan

DeSean Jackson WR

Brian Brohm QB | Louisville

Limas Sweed WR | Texas

Curtis Lofton ILB Oklahoma

James Hardy WR | Indiana

Dan Connor ILB | Penn St.

Who does TT like?

PACKERS FOREVER!

Rastak
04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Giants take Kenny Phillips! Packers should have grabbed him......

Strengths: Continues to add bulk to his frame while maintaining competitive speed for the position. Changes directions well, shows good burst out of cuts and is capable of matching up with slot receivers as well as tight ends in man coverage. Times jumps well, fights for the ball while it's in the air and can come down with jump balls. He fills hard when he reads run, closes well and looks to make the occasional kill shot when it's lined up. Flashes ability to read routes well, shows good range in zone coverage when he diagnoses the play on time and he has enough athleticism to cover the deep middle on those occasions. Vocal, gets teammates into position and is a leader on the field.

Weaknesses: Doesn't read keys all that well and takes too many false steps. Is undisciplined at times and compromises the defensive scheme as a result. Has the second gear to recover in most situations but can be overaggressive, is vulnerable to play action and gets caught out of position too much. Flashes the ability to deliver the big hit but he will back down from some challenges he's not certain he can win, as well. Lacks elite ball skills; a prospect with his natural ability should be more of a playmaker. Takes too long to shed blocks, occasionally avoids contact and is going to be more effective playing off the line than he'll be lining up in the box. Takes some poor angles to the ball, can overrun plays and should make more plays in pursuit. Durability is somewhat of a concern; missed the final three games of the 2006 season with a broken thumb and battled a lingering ankle injury in 2007.

Overall: Phillips started the final 11 games of his true freshman season in 2004 finishing with 88 tackles including 58 unassisted tackles and three tackles-for-loss. He also recorded an interception, a fumble recovery and four pass breakups that year. Phillips started the nine games he appeared in during the 2005 season finishing with 71 tackles including six tackles-for loss. He also recorded four interceptions and six pass breakups up that year. Phillips started the 11 games he played in during the 2007 season finishing with 82 total tackles including 54 unassisted tackles and six tackles-for-loss. He also recorded two interceptions, five pass breakups and three forced fumbles last year. Phillips took a step backwards as a junior and would have been better served by returning to school for his senior year. While part of his struggles can be chalked up to a lingering ankle injury that limited his range a bit, it still doesn't explain his inconsistent recognition skills and failure to play with the same passion on an every down-basis. If properly developed and motivated, Phillips can emerge as a versatile starting safety in the NFL. However, Phillips' ceiling is not nearly as high as some of the past great Hurricane safeties, which is why we tag him with a fringe first-round grade.

GoPackGo
ok. enough trading down.
Lets make all 3 picks in round 2

BF4MVP
ok. enough trading down.
I agree. I don't know if I see it happening though

MateoInMex
YOU GOTTA GIVE IT UP TO JETS FANS.....THE NFL DRAFT IS THEIR FUCKING SUPERBOWL!!You aint joking. These fuckers make it party out that shit. They all look like WTF with their pick.

I know.. By the looks of some of the Jet fans in the crowd, they learn how to 'boo' and say 'you gotta be fukkin' kiddin' me" at a pretty young age.

Rastak
04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
ok. enough trading down.

Where is the fun in that? Trade down more!

cpk1994

BRANDON FLOWERS CB

KENNY PHILLIPS S

TYRELL JOHNSON S

Chad Henne QB | Michigan

DeSean Jackson WR

Limas Sweed WR | Texas

Dustin Keller TE | Purdue

James Hardy WR | Indiana

Who does TT like?

PACKERS FOREVER!you are not paying attention. Keller was taken with the pick TT traded.

Merlin
Smartest move was to trade out of the first round. We dropped 6 places (big whoop) and picked up a 4th who arguably will be a longer term player then anyone we would have gotten in the first round. That give us a 36th, 56th, and 60th picks in the 2nd. All in all, 3 very good spot to pick up some good players.

BF4MVP
04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm just gonna say it..I will disagree with whatever team takes Henne over Brohm...

BallHawk
Prediction: By the end of the day the Packers will have 8 3rd round picks.

Rastak
Smartest move was to trade out of the first round. We dropped 6 places (big whoop) and picked up a 4th who arguably will be a longer term player then anyone we would have gotten in the first round. That give us a 36th, 56th, and 60th picks in the 2nd. All in all, 3 very good spot to pick up some good players.

It wasn't a bad move at all. I am surprised they passed on Keller and Phillips but they are loaded for Bear (pun intended) in round 2.

BF4MVP
Merling is gone

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
YES!

imscott72
Merling is gone..

Charles Woodson
Ballhawk can breath --Merling to the dolphins

red
damnit, there goes merling

Badgerinmaine
I know.. By the looks of some of the Jet fans in the crowd, they learn how to 'boo' and say 'you gotta be fukkin' kiddin' me" at a pretty young age.

:P :P :P

Rastak
Phins take Merling........

Strengths: Is a well built DE with adequate height and good bulk, arm length (33.2) and hand span (9.5). Has above-average initial quickness for size and can beat blockers to the point of attack. Moves well laterally and keeps head up when scraping down the line of scrimmage. Takes excellent pursuit angles, plays with a good motor and has above-average range. Generally does a good job of getting in position, plays with discipline versus the run and will execute his assignment. Thickly built with a strong lower body. Is able to take on blocks when he plays with leverage. Plays with a mean streak. Wraps up upon contact and is reliable open field tackler that can deliver the big hit. Uses hands to protect legs, shows good balance and can fight over cut blocks though is somewhat inconsistent in this area. Flashes the ability to turn the corner and is a relentless pass rusher. Athletic enough to redirect inside after starting outside and flashes an effective swim move. Stays alert, has long arms and gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Has experience lining up at defensive tackle, has experience dropping into coverage and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Has good size for a defensive end but stands up high too much and gets driven back on some of those occasions. Has some problems shedding bocks when he lets blockers lock onto his frame. Does not show powerful upper body strength (only 17 reps on bench press). Lacks elite closing speed for an end and is going to have a harder time turning the corner at the NFL level. Relies on quickness and athletic ability too much and isn't much of a bull rusher at this point. Turns shoulders and creates running lanes too much. Doesn't always rush outside in and lets quarterbacks break contain too much.

Overall: Merling played 271 snaps during his true freshman season in 2005. He started all 13 games of the 2006 season, finishing with 46 total tackles, including ten tackles-for-loss. Merling also recorded three sacks, 20 quarterback hurries and one forced fumble that year. In 2007, he recorded 78 total tackles, including 17 tackles-for-loss and seven sacks. Merling does not possess the speed of a dominant edge rusher and he needs to improve his upper body power. However, Merling is a gifted athlete for his size and he projects as an impact every-down starter in the NFL. While he could develop into a solid 3-4 end, we think his best fit is at the power-end position in a traditional 4-3 scheme. Regardless, Merling projects as a mid-first round pick.

MadtownPacker
Im starting to detect a QB....

cpk1994
I'm just gonna say it..I will disagree with whatever team takes Henne over Brohm...I agree with you. Henne made his career off Braylon Edwards. He has been junk ever since.

TheCheese
Fucking damn it man, really wanted that guy.

red
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
3 picks until ours

i like campbell and flowers at this point

BallHawk

Don't say that, Mad. Please, no QB.

woodbuck27

BRANDON FLOWERS CB

KENNY PHILLIPS S

TYRELL JOHNSON S

Chad Henne QB | Michigan

DeSean Jackson WR

Limas Sweed WR | Texas

Dustin Keller TE | Purdue

James Hardy WR | Indiana

Who does TT like?

PACKERS FOREVER!you are not paying attention. Keller was taken with the pick TT traded.

Look back at my post mister . Dustin Keller was available for OUR #30 and he was taken yes and I removed him from the list.

Your too quick on me. RELAX!! :D

GrnBay007
04-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Henne

Merlin
I think they know that whoever they want will be around in at #36. We are out of the big money picks now and can go to work on picking up guys who are willing to try and make the roster without a big contract. Chad Henne would be an interesting pick up since we really only have Rodgers. Flowers, if available looks good to.

BF4MVP
I'd like Flowers..Good value at 36..

CaliforniaCheez
Anybody have a link to a website that lists all the traded picks??

I want to double check some.

MadtownPacker
04-26-2008, 05:42 PM

Don't say that, Mad. Please, no QB.Why not?? No one owes ARod shit. Draft a QB now and he might be the starter in week 1.

CaliforniaCheez
I'd like Flowers..Good value in 3rd Round...

Rastak

Don't say that, Mad. Please, no QB.Why not?? No one owes ARod shit. Draft a QB now and he might be the starter in week 1.

Unlikely, maybe week 10 though.

imscott72

Don't say that, Mad. Please, no QB.

If we draft a QB, then Brett's coming back..Why else would you take a QB at this spot?

Merlin
04-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I am smelling a QB as well, but which one is anyone's guess. Trading down to take one that will be there assures Rodgers he's the guy.

Lurker64
Honestly, I'm happy with the way the first went.

Guiness
ok. enough trading down.
I agree. I don't know if I see it happening though

Nope, we're not, we're going trade down again...and again...

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12240

until we have every pick in the seventh!

imscott72
I think they know that whoever they want will be around in at #36. We are out of the big money picks now and can go to work on picking up guys who are willing to try and make the roster without a big contract. Chad Henne would be an interesting pick up since we really only have Rodgers. Flowers, if available looks good to.

How does two rookie QB's help us though?

woodbuck27

I'm thinking that Henne goes to Miami.

BF4MVP

Couldn't disagree more..A-Rod has been patient and worked hard to improve while sitting behind Brett..He at least deserves a shot to show what he can do.

cpk1994
I am smelling a QB as well, but which one is anyone's guess. Trading down to take one that will be there assures Rodgers he's the guy.Not in ESPN's mind. Get prepared for 4 months of them talking controversy.

gbgary
Why else would you take a QB at this spot?

cuz he's better than rodgers

CaliforniaCheez
Back up QB at 36.

Gunakor
HOLY CRAP!!!

First WR off the board is Donnie Avery?!

Charles Woodson
hmm first reciver to StL--Donnie Avery

Rastak
04-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Rams take Avery (scratching my head)

Strengths: Possesses world-class speed. Gets from 0-to-60 mph in a hurry. Is able to consistently get over the top of CB's in man-coverage. Can be a huge threat after-the-catch if he catches a crease. Is quick, shifty and agile. Possesses soft hands and good body control to adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Shows the ability to pluck on the run and get up the field immediately. Shows a rare second gear to run away from defenders. Has experience as a return man and rare speed alone gives him a chance to contribute in that facet of the game in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Is undersized. Not strong or physical. Is a small target in the passing game. Is too much of a straight line athlete. Struggles to get off press coverage. Needs to become a much more polished route runner. Is too slow getting in and out of breaks. Rounds off too many of his routes. We question his toughness. Doesn't go over the middle much. Gives an inconsistent effort as a blocker and lacks the strength to sustain even when he gets in position and locks on.

Overall: Avery redshirted in 2003, and then started every game for Houston a year later. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 37 games (31 starts) and amassed 119 receptions for 1,833 yards (15.4 average) and 12 touchdowns. As a senior, he ranked fourth in the country in receiving yards per game (112.0) and 15th in receptions per game (7.0). He finished 2007 with totals of 91 catches for 1,456 yards (16.0 average) and seven TDs in 13 games (11 starts). For his career, Avery also 40 kickoff returns for 896 yards (22.4 average) and a touchdown, three punt returns for 28 yards and 14 tackles (including one for a loss). A hyperextended left knee and MCL sprain in August 2007 didn't cost him any playing time. Bottom line: Avery is quite possibly the fastest player in the 2008 class. While there's no doubt of his homerun-hitting potential for the next level, Avery remains too one-dimensional, with really just the ability to run go routes to threaten a defense. He is somewhat reminiscent of New Orleans and former LSU burner Devery Henderson, who has not transitioned to the NFL very well. Avery is dangerous, but he isn't a refined route runner and he must learn to separate from man-coverage better in order to contribute as a consistent pass-catcher in the NFL. Avery is a bit overrated for those reasons and will be over-drafted if taken higher than the late-second or third round range.

RashanGary
Why not?? No one owes ARod shit. Draft a QB now and he might be the starter in week 1.

100% agree. If a QB is there that you like, take him. Thompson said at some point in the off season that when he looks at the QB's out there, he's happy to have Rodgers. That makes me think he's not overwhelmed with any of the top signal callers.

Rastak

Rodgers is no rookie, he's been in the league for years now.

Merlin
04-26-2008, 05:45 PM
The whole Favre thing I have heard was all second hand. I was out of town the past few days and missed all of the rumors. My kid tells me that it isn't so clear that Favre is done just yet. If he isn't great, if he is great. I think taking a QB with potential sets you up for a potential starter or a solid backup. Good move either way.

imscott72

Couldn't disagree more..A-Rod has been patient and worked hard to improve while sitting behind Brett..He at least deserves a shot to show what he can do.

Exactly. Arod has been very patient and quiet about the whole Favre thing. Give him his chance already.

Charles Woodson
Washington-Devin Thomas

Rastak
Thomas goes to the Skins......rats.....

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height with a sturdy build for a wide receiver. Very smooth and fluid. Displays outstanding hands. Can consistently catch over his head. Strong hands to pluck in traffic. Can snatch the ball on the run with very little wasted motion. Is a treat after the catch. Does not possess elite initial burst but he does display a second-gear to run away from defenders once he gets going (see 2nd quarter vs. Wisconsin). He is a silky smooth runner with excellent vision and body control. Sees the entire field and shows the change-of-direction ability to make sharp cuts without losing speed. Is strong and will drag some defenders for extra yards after the catch. Was effective in the times we saw him take hand offs in the backfield and might have a future as a kick return man in the NFL. Has bulk and strength to sustain blocks when he's in position. Also flashes a mean streak.

Weaknesses: More dangerous after the catch than he is as a vertical route runner. Lacks ideal experience at the highest collegiate level. Still needs polishing as a route runner. Rounds off many of his routes. Not crisp enough to consistently separate from tight man-to-man coverage. Needs to improve his array of release moves versus press coverage at the line of scrimmage. Takes a bit too long to reach top speed. Doesn't always sell routes on play-action runs. Can sustain his blocks once locked on but takes some poor angles and doesn't always get in good position. Effort as a blocker is inconsistent.

Overall: After proving his explosiveness and versatility by averaging 105.5 all-purpose yards at Coffeyville CC in 2005, Thomas enrolled at Michigan State. He played 10 games in his first season in East Lansing, but finished with just six receptions, 90 receiving yards and a touchdown. He broke out as a junior last season, playing in all 13 games and delivering 79 catches, eight TDs and a Big Ten-best 1,260 receiving yards for a Spartans offense that relied heavily on the run. He added 177 rushing yards on 27 carries and starred as a return man, averaging 29.1 on 39 kickoff returns. Compared to most prospects, there's very little information to go off of when evaluating Thomas. He only played one year at the FBS level and, as an underclassman entry, he was not able to compete in a post-season all-star game. His inexperience and lack of exposure naturally creates some doubt. However, the more film we study of Thomas the more impressed we are with his overall physical tools. He possesses the size, athleticism and hands of a future starter in the NFL, which is why we graded Thomas out in the second round. He will fit best in a West Coast system, where his run-after-catch ability will be maximized.

BallHawk

Agreed.

red
04-26-2008, 05:46 PM
well, we can still get my #1 guy or campbell

other then that, nothing really excites me at this spot

gbgary

he's a vet with no experience.

imscott72
Why else would you take a QB at this spot?

cuz he's better than rodgers

And how would you know that? Neither QB has played hardly at all in the NFL with the draftee none at all. No idea how you can judge whose better at that point.

Merlin
And without Favre we are looking at Rodgers and who? Nall? Cullpecker? I mean really we haven't exactly went out and signed a viable backup, not even Nall which is no surprise there.

Charles Woodson
Packers up next

Rastak
Well, my favorite time of the draft is coming....the middle of the damn second round!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BF4MVP
Flowers is gone

GoPackGo
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
KC picks right before us and could scoop a QB

RashanGary
Anthony Collins
James Hardy

BallHawk
Good. No Flowers.

Charles Woodson
Chiefs take brandon flowers!

Deputy Nutz
good trade nobody at 30 you can't get at 36. Probably another trade.

BallHawk
And without Favre we are looking at Rodgers and who? Nall? Cullpecker? I mean really we haven't exactly went out and signed a viable backup, not even Nall which is no surprise there.

So we should draft for worst case scenario?

Rastak
Nice draft by KC:

Strengths: Plays with confidence, doesn't dwell on mistakes and is comfortable playing on an island. Opens hips smoothly when forced to turn and does an excellent job of getting head turned around downfield. Does not possess ideal speed but he plays faster than 40-time indicates. Changes directions well, shows good burst coming out of breaks and reads routes well. Shows good awareness and can cover a lot of ground when asked to drop into zone coverage. Has quick feet and explodes out of backpedal. Aggressive, has excellent ball skills and is a dangerous open field runner. Isn't very tall but times jumps well, elevates well and flashes the ability to compete for jump balls. Plays with a mean streak, flashes a powerful punch and flashes the ability to slow receivers down at the line. Shows good instincts and fills hard when reads run. Takes sound pursuit angles, has sideline-to-sideline range and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Times blitzes well and shows good closing burst when occasionally turned loose off the edge. Stays alert and gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have great size and is going to get pushed around at times. Can be overaggressive, is vulnerable to double moves and lacks the second gear to recover when gets caught out of position. At times looks like a sound open field tackler but lunges at ball carriers' feet and fails to wrap up at other times. Fractured right fibula in 2004, injured ankle in Chick fil-A Bowl at the end of the 2006 season, hindered by ankle injury during 2007 spring practices and durability is a concern.

Overall: Flowers appeared in the first game of his true freshman season in 2004 and actually returned an interception for a touchdown but he fractured his right fibula in that game and the NCAA granted him a medical red-shirt. He appeared in all 12 games of the 2005 season finishing with 20 total tackles including 13 unassisted tackles and 1.5 tackles-for-loss. Flowers also intercepted a pass that year. He moved into the starting lineup in 2006 and finished with 51 total tackles including 29 unassisted tackles and 7.5 tackles-for-loss. Flowers also recorded 3.5 sacks and intercepted three passes that year. He started all 14 games of the 2007 season finishing with 86 total tackles including 56 unassisted tackles and eight tackles-for-loss. Flowers also intercepted five passes including one he returned for a touchdown and recovered a fumble last year. Flowers is a slightly undersized corner who did not run well at the combine and had some problems staying healthy earlier in his career. However, he has excellent instincts, quickness and toughness in man-to-man coverage. He also is far more productive in run support than his size indicates. Flowers projects as a late-first or early-second round selection.

red
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Flowers is gone

fuck

imscott72
04-26-2008, 05:48 PM

Officially yes, but he hasn't played much hence the "rookie" label. I don't know why you'd draft a QB and call him "Rodgers backup". Makes no sense. We have other needs and we're deep enough we don't need to go "best player available" at this point.

The Leaper
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Yuck...I was hoping Flowers or Merling would continue to fall.

Don't like having to pick here.

BF4MVP
Here we go

imscott72

I realize that, but you can't draft a QB here and call him the #2 guy and expect to throw him out there if Arod goes down.

Rastak
Why does Chad Johnson say Ocho Cinco?

Isn't 85 ochenta cinco?

motife
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
1 23 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
2 26 Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
3 28 Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State
4 31 Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma
5 33 Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fla
6 34 DeSean Jackson, WR, California
7 35 Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
8 36 DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina State
9 37 Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
10 38 Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

gbgary
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
And how would you know that? Neither QB has played hardly at all in the NFL with the draftee none at all. No idea how you can judge whose better at that point.

they've watched rodgers in practice for a couple of years now and seen him take a few snaps. all i'm saying is if there's a better quarterback than rodgers out there...take him. it's the most important position on the field. why let someone else get him?

BF4MVP
04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Who the fuck is that?

Charles Woodson
The pack takes a reciver?

BallHawk
Ok.

CaliforniaCheez
Packers get WR Jordy Nelson!!

The Leaper
There's the WR.

Gunakor
Ummmmm.........

TT AT HIS FINEST!!!

MateoInMex
What a time for my brother to call me collect from prison. Christ! Doesn't he know I'm trying to watch the draft...Jordy Nelson?

Rastak
Pack grabs - Jordie Nelson - WR

Good ole Ted.....

Strengths: Is a big, strong receiver. Big target with extremely reliable hands. Consistently catches the ball thrown over his head, can pluck on the run effortlessly and does a great job of securing the ball in traffic. Not afraid to go over the middle. He has functional speed for his size. Most impressive is his ability to get in and out of breaks so quickly, especially for a bigger receiver. Displayed much better initial quickness and burst as a senior than he had in previous seasons. He runs crisp routes. Converted high school quarterback, shows a great feel for running routes, finding soft spots in zone and coming back to his quarterbacks when initial play has broken down. Very tough, competitive runner after the catch. Also shows excellent vision to navigate through traffic  both after the catch and in the return game. Will lower his shoulder and drag smaller DB's for extra few yards at the end of the play. Continues to improve with experience. High character player and hard worker.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed. Is not going to consistently get over the top of man-coverage as a vertical route runner. Runs hard and shows good vision but not overly elusive and doesn't display the second-gear necessary to run away from NFL defenders. Needs to improve technique and overall consistency as a blocker.

Overall: Nelson redshirted in 2003 and didn't see any action as a defensive back in 2004. He moved to wide receiver in 2005, appearing in 24 games (20 starts) over his sophomore and junior seasons (2005-'06). He had 84 receptions for 1,216 yards (14.5 average) and nine touchdowns during that span. Nelson was slowed by a knee injury in '06 but wouldn't sit out any games. Nelson was sensational as a senior, delivering 10.2 receptions for 133.4 receiving yards per game (both second in the nation) and 155.3 all-purpose yards per game (20th). His 2007 totals: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores; and two passing TDs (on four attempts) for 45 yards. Nelson capped off a ridiculously productive senior season with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl. While he lacks elite speed and athleticism, Nelson is quicker than people seem to think and he simply knows how to separate and make plays. He will likely slip to the third round of the upcoming draft but it wouldn't shock us if Nelson spends 10-plus productive seasons in the NFL as a possession No. 2 or No. 3 receiver.

red
YOU GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME??????????

a fucking WR, we do have needs, and wr was far from one

arcilite
WHITE LIGHTNING!

Rastak
04-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Ted is Ted.....

BallHawk
LOLOLOL.

I love Ted Thompson.

imscott72
LOL..You all knew it was going to be like this. WOW.. :roll:

Deputy Nutz
A white wide receiver/punt returner. Nice!

Merlin

So we should draft for worst case scenario?

Nope, we should draft someone to fill one of the two backup spots who can be a potential starter or viable backup. Not really sure where you are going with "worse case scenario". It is a great scenario to be in. Bring in a decent rookie @ QB, then sign a viable veteran for the main backup. With Flowers gone, no clue what they will do here.

red
TT fucked up playing his trade down game and we lost any chance at getting a good fit with that first pick

motife
McGinn on Nelson :

8. JORDY NELSON
Kansas State 6-2½ 218 4.54 2-3

Second in Division I-A with 122 catches in '07. "He catches everything," said Rick Reiprish, New Orleans' college scouting director. "He's a competitor. Tough kid." Farm boy from Riley, Kan., who walked on as a safety before converting to offense in '05. "He doesn't have great top-end speed but he reminds me of a Joe Jurevicius kind of guy," Gruden said. "Tough. Smart (28 on the Wonderlic)." Finished with 206 catches for 2,822 yards (13.7) and 20 TDs in 36 games (32 starts). Ran past Kansas CB Aqib Talib in Week 6 for long completion. "He's got the fewest flaws of anybody," said Eric DeCosta, Baltimore's director of college scouting. "He may not be the most elite talent but he's got the least amount of warts."

MadtownPacker

Agreed.He is getting his shot. HE is the starter isnt he??? If he fucks up that is on him!

Brohm
04-26-2008, 05:53 PM
My screen just super-heated from all the anger off teh interwebs....

pbmax
We are one white defensive back away from Outside The Lines and Oprah coming to town to do a show on the racial balance on the Packers :lol:

CyclonePackFan
He's a gritty SOB. Fan favorite. Will be a good posession receiver. He's not afraid to go over the middle. Fun to watch (not so when he's torching your team's ass)

BallHawk
Dukes says he can work the middle of the field.

Hmmmmm.

Rastak
TT fucked up playing his trade down game and we lost any chance at getting a good fit with that first pick

I personally would have picked at 30 but I never write off Ted.....he's nailed a few.

Guiness

Isn't 85 ochenta cinco?

Umm, ya. Cause he's a brain surgeon. Think he has any idea other than he likes how it sounds?

I bet he's got a chinese symbol tatooed on his arm...that he thinks says "Dragon" but actually says "Dinner for three"

cpk1994
Let's see. Driver, Jennings, and Jones. All the rest are expendable. With 3 second round picks, I have no problem here.

The Leaper

Red, we've got 2 more picks this round...plus THREE in the 4th.

We've got plenty of picks. Thompson knows how to pick WRs...he hasn't missed on one yet this high in the draft. Driver is getting old. Martin is not a capable starter. I'm happy.

imscott72
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
So our 1st pick we draft for special teams?? Could be a good possession receiver. I guess we're loading the guns for Arod, but I thought they were already loaded..Oh well can't argue with what TT has done..

woodbuck27

Exactly. Arod has been very patient and quiet about the whole Favre thing. Give him his chance already.

Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre ? Think again man. :D Too funny.

MadtownPacker
This guy will be a TE.

motife
Q&A with Nelson :

Growing up, who was your favorite NFL player and why?
Joe Montana, because I wanted to be a quarterback when I grew up.
In college, what player hit you the hardest? Who was the recipient of your best hit?
I don't know. Griffith from Texas.
What TV-show marathon will keep you on the couch all day?
Two and a half men
What are the five most-played songs in your iPod? What's the one song you hope nobody ever finds out is in your iPod?
I don't have an iPod.
What celebrity would play you in the movie version of your life and why?
Channing Tatem, because people say I look like him a little.
What is one thing your teammates don't know about you?
I cook at my parents' restaurant.
What reality TV show would you like to be on and why?
Survivor, because it's challenging both mentally and physically.
What's your proudest moment in football? Proudest moment off the field?
Carrying coach Snyder off the field after his last game. Being the first in my family to graduate.
When you play Madden, what team do you use? Do you put yourself on the team?
I don't really play video games.
Who has been the biggest influence on your football career and how?
Steve Wagner, because he was my high school coach.

Rastak

Isn't 85 ochenta cinco?

Umm, ya. Cause he's a brain surgeon. Think he has any idea other than he likes how it sounds?

I bet he's got a chinese symbol tatooed on his arm...that he thinks says "Dragon" but actually says "Dinner for three"

Yup!

MateoInMex

Isn't 85 ochenta cinco?

Chad Johnson probably doesn't know how to say 85 in Spanish.

Merlin
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Interesting pick, I wouldn't have thought we would have been looking at a WR this high but not unhappy with the selection.

red
He's a gritty SOB. Fan favorite. Will be a good posession receiver. He's not afraid to go over the middle. Fun to watch (not so when he's torching your team's ass)

thats great, we already have 3 of that wr on this team

big, white, fast wr

bill schroeder 2 anyone?

GoPackGo

Isn't 85 ochenta cinco?

:rs:

gbgary
dd is getting a little long in the tooth. rodgers is gonna need all the weapons he can get. kiper loves the pick.

BallHawk
WE GOT A SMART WHITE GUY!!!!!

TT FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!

MadtownPacker
I want a trade down so badly...

BUt I say TT goes WR just to piss everyone off.. :knll:

Charles Woodson
Interesting pick, I wouldn't have thought we would have been looking at a WR this high but not unhappy with the selection.

im with you..Blah on this pick, i dont love it, but i dont hate it

Kinda wished Calais Cambell woulda been the pick

woodbuck27
So our 1st pick we draft for special teams?? Could be a good possession receiver. I guess we're loading the guns for Arod, but I thought they were already loaded..Oh well can't argue with what TT has done..

Which is nothing today! NOPE can't argue with that (yet). :D

Rastak
Here is where you need Harvey to spin a fantastic tale praising the merits!!!!

imscott72

I personally would have picked at 30 but I never write off Ted.....he's nailed a few.

Yeah I really wanted Keller at 30.

KYPack
04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
C'mon kids!

Piss & Moan

Lemme hear ya.

Who will be the first to change their screen name to Jordy Nelson?

Ted is the most inscrutable GM in NFL history.

Until it's comes to trading down.

pbmax
Does anyone know where Bretsky lives? Cause we should probably have the paramedics check on him now. :)

red

big, white, fast wr

bill schroeder 2 anyone?

oh wait, this guy isn't fast

Pacopete4
fuck fuck fuck

The Leaper
bill schroeder 2 anyone?

This guy can catch and break tackles. He ain't Bill Schroeder.

Dude had 122...ONE HUNDRED AND FUCKING TWENTY TWO...catches in one year in the Big 12.

MadtownPacker
04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Here is where you need Harvey to spin a fantastic tale praising the merits!!!!Harvey will hate this pick.

That means this guy will turn out to be good.

Badgerinmaine
Q&A with Nelson :

Wow..doesn't play videogames, has no IPod and cooks at his parents' restaurant. Sounds like a throwback...to Carrol Dale? :P

texaspackerbacker
They just showed him beating Talib easily.

I would never question a Thompson pick. This is a surprise, though--not so much taking a WR, but taking THIS WR ahead of some others. A route runner with great hands and decent speed, though--could be a good pick.

Rastak
Falcons take LB Lofton

Strengths: Adequate height with a sturdy build. A tough, feisty and relentless ILB. Displays excellent diagnostic skills. Reads keys very effectively and takes few false steps. Outstanding overall instincts. Usually the first to diagnose the play and always seems to be around the ball. He is a powerful hitter with strong hips and base. He displays adequate range in underneath zone coverage. Reads QB's eyes and generally gets a good jump on the ball. Makes his presence felt over the middle. Will put a big hit on receivers coming through his zone and will separate ball from body. Is a natural playmaker. Underrated ball skills and also has a knack for forcing fumbles. Seems to have a great understanding of the scheme and will get teammates in position pre-snap. The type that can lead on the field through his actions.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal speed. Is limited athletically. Does not show ideal closing burst in pursuit. Needs to do a better job of protecting his lower body. Leaves his feet a bit too often as a tackler. Can do a better job of wrapping up in space. Hips are a bit stiff. Is fine when he can work laterally and coming forward, but gets into trouble when he needs to open his hips and turn. Will be limited versus faster NFL RB's in man-to-man coverage.

Overall: Lofton played mostly on special teams as a freshman, logging three tackles (one for a loss) in 10 games. In 2006, he continued to shine on cover teams but also earned five starts in 14 games. He finished his sophomore season with 32 tackles (six for losses), a forced fumble and a recovery. Lofton dominated as a junior last year, and was named an NCAA Consensus All-American and Associated Press Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. In 14 games, he piled up 157 tackles (10.5 for losses), four forced fumbles and three interceptions. He also ran back a pick and a fumble for touchdowns. Lofton flew under the radar at Oklahoma and he hasn't received much hype during the draft process, either. His physical skills won't wow any NFL teams and his test results are hardly impressive. But every time we study film of the Sooners' defense Lofton is flying around the field, seemingly in on two-thirds of the units' stops. That's why we believe, despite all the workout numbers that point to the contrary, Lofton is one of the most underrated pure football players in the 2008 class. It won't surprise us a bit if he emerges as a second-round steal.

MateoInMex
Of all the glaring needs, WR wasn't one of them... but since I am no draft guru...let me ask some that study this shi*...

Where did you guys have Jordy Nelson? Could he have stayed and went later in the 2nd round?

BF4MVP
This is just how TT rolls :lol:

He's got a knack for finding good wideouts so I can't really complain I guess..I guess that means Koren is gone.

imscott72

Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre ? Think again man. :D Too funny.

Huh? I don't understand Buck..I said Arod has been patient and quiet about waiting his turn. He deserves a season to show his stuff. Not sure what you're saying.

RashanGary
We are one white defensive back away from Outside The Lines and Oprah coming to town to do a show on the racial balance on the Packers :lol:

Two white players taken first in the draft too. Bring on the NAACP.

Merlin
I wish Flowers was there but he wasn't. I think some QB's will be around late 2nd early 3rd. And just because we picked up a WR doesn't mean he will be a WR really. TE maybe, KR/PR, DB? Who knows what the plan is. We could have done something stupid like taking a player who was out of football all last year. Whoops, we did that last year.

BallHawk
HIGHLIGHTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6B_VmbiR7o

TheCheese
04-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Haha this is awesome, this is such a Thompson thing to do. I would of really loved to have Merling, but Nielson is a pretty good WR. Looks like the future of our WR corp is set.

gbgary
now take 52 (or whatever our next pick is) and 60 and move up to a 40 something.

The Shadow
Solid pick.

Rastak
Here is where you need Harvey to spin a fantastic tale praising the merits!!!!Harvey will hate this pick.

That means this guy will turn out to be good.

Mad, if he were here live here he'd hate it.....for 30 seconds then he'd find 10 reasons to love it. And he may very well be right!

cpk1994

big, white, fast wr

bill schroeder 2 anyone?No, becuase Bill S. was to afraid to get hit. Nelson is not.

BallHawk
04-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm not even going to question Ted on any pick. He's reached the point where he will be right no matter how stupid it sounds.

If Ted told me to kill my cat I would because I know it'd end up for the best someway.

Badgerinmaine
Does anyone know where Bretsky lives? Cause we should probably have the paramedics check on him now. :)
Doesn't he live in Fort Atkinson? I think they have paramedics there :P

Lurker64
After the initial "huh" of the pick, It's starting to grow on me. I was talking to a friend who's a K-State fan and what he told me is that "He's a gamer and totally self-motivated, should be a big time possession receiver, has potential much greater than that."

In 3 previous drafts Ted has always taken a receiver in the second or third round that left saying "huh?". Every single time that guy has turned out to be a player. So I'm going to trust our scouting department and believe them when they say this was the best player available.

CyclonePackFan
After hearing all the pissing and moaning about Ted's WR's the past two years (Jennings and Jones), I'll take Ted's opinion over anyone here.

This kid is no Bill Schroeder.

texaspackerbacker
Schroeder was an unknown, a project, and no rep for hands.

This guy is an established star college player, known for his hands.

CaliforniaCheez

Thanks for making me choke. That is very funny.

Rastak
Hawks on the clock. So as I watch this stuff unfold, what do I want to see at 47 for Minnesota? Lemme see what we have here.....

BF4MVP
04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Carlson is gone

MadtownPacker
Isnt Kansas St a high octane passing game offense?

KYPack
now take 52 (or whatever our next pick is) and 60 and move up to a 40 something.

Never happen.

red
well we don't need 4 of the same type of wr

mine as well kick us righ tin the nuts and trade driver or jennings for more picks we won't use to help us

there goes carlson

he would have been a better pick for us

SINCE WE NEED A FUCKING TE

Rastak
Hawks take Carlson:

Strengths: Shows a second gear when tracking the ball downfield, can adjust to passes thrown outside frame and can work the seam. Appears to read defenses well and generally settles into a soft spot when sees zone coverage. Shields defenders from the ball, flashes the ability to win jump balls and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Uses hands well, has quick feet and can get a clean release. Runs hard, flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact and can be productive after the catch. Has strong hands, rarely lets ball get to frame and flashes the ability to make tough catches in traffic. Plays with a wide base, gets adequate hand placement and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Takes sound angles to blocks, shows good body control in space and can get into position at the second level. Has experience covering kicks and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Focus was a bit inconsistent as a senior, which led to more drops than expected. Footwork is a little streaky, lacks elite explosiveness and can struggle to create separation when running routes versus quicker safeties. Gets upfield quickly after the catch but doesn't have the elusiveness to regularly make defenders miss. Plays a little too high, doesn't show great leg strength and isn't going to drive two-gap defenders off the ball. Bends at the waist rather than the knees when asked to help out in pass protection and can get driven back into the pocket. Missed two games with a knee injury last year and durability is a minor concern.

Overall: Carlson redshirted his first year at Notre Dame (2003). He also played two games on Notre Dame's basketball team in 2003. He appeared in 35 games (19 starts) in his first three seasons (2004-'06), compiling 60 receptions for 721 yards (12.0 average) and five touchdowns. Carlson missed two games in 2006 because of a right knee injury. In 2007, he led the Irish with 40 receptions for 372 yards (9.3 average) and three touchdowns in 12 games (all starts). Carlson did not play well as a senior, as the frustration of a disappointing team clearly took its toll. He dropped more passes than in the past and he didn't seem to play with the same level of aggressiveness. While it is concerning, Carlson should not be graded on his senior season alone. When he had a stronger supporting cast in 2006, Carlson was much more of an impact player. Overall, he isn't an overpowering in-line blocker and he has to work on his footwork in terms of his route running, but he has the size, speed, athletic ability and toughness to develop into a quality every-down starter in the NFL. With that in mind, we consider Carlson a good value in Round 2.

BF4MVP
I wonder how pissed JH is that we took a WR and it wasn't his guy (Hardy)?

hawaii50
i knew ted was gonna do something like this. i even told my friends this morning, he's probably gonna grab a guy like jordy nelson. seems like a tt guy. he's a football player. watch his youtube highlights. kid can play and will play immediately.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
From a blog in the Washington Times:
The Redskins currently have two picks today. I'll stick with Clemson DE Phillip Merling if he's still on the board and then the Redskins will go/should go receiver in the second round. There's a lot to like about Kansas State's Jordy Nelson.

Merlin
It's a solid and safe pick. The second Thompson traded out of the first round, I was extremely relieved because there wasn't anyone there who I thought was worth a first round pick. They way it's shaking out with all of the OL going so high, there will be some real gems left these next two rounds. 4 picks left in those rounds I believe.

The Leaper
Where did you guys have Jordy Nelson? Could he have stayed and went later in the 2nd round?

He was my #4 WR...but all the top 5-6 WRs were pretty similar in terms of talents. I can see how Nelson fits with Thompson's MO and the Packers scheme.

pittstang5
Very Surprised....honestly thought WR was the one and only position TT would not draft high because of the Packers current depth.

Whatever.....I don't know why I try to figure TT out.

BF4MVP

Never happen.
Agreed. Thompson has NEVER traded up, I don't know why he would now.

Deputy Nutz
04-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I didn't rule out WR. Ted is going to take the best player on his board regardless of position. Some are bitching about the pick, but honestly Ted drafts for the future, he actually plans for seasons down the road. Driver has two good years left, and Robinson simply didn't do enough to ensure a spot on this roster, same goes with Martin. McCarthy went with a lot of 4 or 5 wide receiver sets last year so in that regard this pick makes sense.

cpk1994
I wonder how pissed JH is that we took a WR and it wasn't his guy (Hardy)?At least JH doesn't have to change his name to James Hardy.

The Leaper
BTW

Jordy is now our #4 WR/#3 QB.

BF4MVP
I wonder how pissed JH is that we took a WR and it wasn't his guy (Hardy)?At least JH doesn't have to change his name to James Hardy.
:lol: Good call 8-)

red
04-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Schroeder was an unknown, a project, and no rep for hands.

This guy is an established star college player, known for his hands.

yeah, really well established

ONE, good year in college

he is a high character guy though. thats one plus

CyclonePackFan
Isnt Kansas St a high octane passing game offense?

I think you've got Texas Tech in mind.

Rastak
Viking Wishlist:

Brohm QB
Sweed WR
Jackson WR
Henne QB
Fred Davis TE ?

Carolina_Packer
Lordy, Lordy, we picked Jordy! Ok, I'm done.

MadtownPacker
This is going to be an fun hour(s). 2 more picks and I hope he uses them both.

gbgary

Never happen.
Agreed. Thompson has NEVER traded up, I don't know why he would now.

for someone he wants that probably won't be there at 56.

MateoInMex

He was my #4 WR...but all the top 5-6 WRs were pretty similar in terms of talents. I can see how Nelson fits with Thompson's MO and the Packers scheme.

Thanks for the info Leaper.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Another pre-draft blurb on Nelson from a New York newspaper, the Wellsville Reporter, quoting the Buffalo Bills' director of scouting:
"[Tom] Modrak said...regarding Kansas State’s Jordy Nelson, Modrak called him “an excellent catcher ... played mostly in the slot.”
“He probably would have to make the conversion to the outside,” Modrak said of Nelson. “He’s a tough, competitive guy who’s deceptively fast.”

Guiness
Who the fuck is that?

ROFL!

You did that on purpose! *snicker*

BF4MVP
Nice hahaha :lol:

mngolf19
Viking Wishlist:

Brohm QB
Sweed WR
Jackson WR
Henne QB
Fred Davis TE ?

Might be Godfrey. But I'm betting Brohm.

CaliforniaCheez
Rest of second round will be DT and DE.

Just think of where the Pack is strong and Ted drafts there.

That's why draft contests guessing Ted's picks are tough to win.

Merlin
No reason to trade up. Is there any player left that would be worth that gamble? I don't think so. The best CB's are gone, at least those I thought would potentially be starting this year. OL? I think teams that take OL high are going to regret the expense. We seem to have good luck in the later rounds with OL. I wouldn't be "shocked" if we went out and signed a 2nd tier CB after June 1st.

texaspackerbacker
04-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Carlson is gone--good. Either Finley or Bennett would be nice with one of the other 2nd rounders, and maybe Godfrey with the other.

Guiness
After the initial "huh" of the pick, It's starting to grow on me. I was talking to a friend who's a K-State fan and what he told me is that "He's a gamer and totally self-motivated, should be a big time possession receiver, has potential much greater than that."

In 3 previous drafts Ted has always taken a receiver in the second or third round that left saying "huh?". Every single time that guy has turned out to be a player. So I'm going to trust our scouting department and believe them when they say this was the best player available.

Looking at his size...could he be a future TE?

The Leaper

I disagree.

The kid changed position...played WR for the FIRST TIME in college, and posted 80 catches, 1200 yards and 9 TDs in his first two years at the position.

While that isn't huge, when you consider it was his first action at the position, it is damned impressive.

If you think this kid is Bill Schroeder 2, you will be the one who looks like a numbnut in a couple years.

RashanGary
I wonder how pissed JH is that we took a WR and it wasn't his guy (Hardy)?

:)

I'm cool with it. I had Jordy Nelson on my list of players I liked so I'm not going to take TT to task just yet. Hardy has some character issues.

Rastak
Viking Wishlist:

Brohm QB
Sweed WR
Jackson WR
Henne QB
Fred Davis TE ?

Might be Godfrey. But I'm betting Brohm.

Hey Golf, I'm afraid my buddies here won't discuss the Vikes pick with me. Glad you are here.

KYPack
I didn't rule out WR. Ted is going to take the best player on his board regardless of position. Some are bitching about the pick, but honestly Ted drafts for the future, he actually plans for seasons down the road. Driver has two good years left, and Robinson simply didn't do enough to ensure a spot on this roster, same goes with Martin. McCarthy went with a lot of 4 or 5 wide receiver sets last year so in that regard this pick makes sense.

Koren Robinson has to shaking.

This kid had 5 punt returns last year and two of 'em went for touches.

I wanted the guard from USC that just went with one of our two lower picks.

denverYooper
04-26-2008, 06:06 PM
This guy will be a TE.

I was wondering about that...

Partial
Who in the hell is Jordy Nelson?!? I cannot believe that we took this guy!!

Pacopete4
now i know why favre retired...

Rastak
04-26-2008, 06:07 PM
49ers - take Gaurd Rachal

Strengths: Shows good initial quickness for size and flashes the ability to beat defenders to the point of attack. Plays with adequate leverage, has above-average lower body strength and can drive defenders off the ball once in position. Plays with a mean streak, flashes a powerful punch and puts defenders on their backs whenever possible. Rarely takes false steps and agile enough to reach defenders lined up over inside or outside shoulder. Fluid turning hips, flashes the ability to get around the corner when asked to pull and engulfs linebackers when reaches them. Does an adequate job of sinking hips in pass set, has excellent bulk and rarely gives ground to bull rushers. Keeps head on a swivel, shows good awareness and can adjust to line stunts as well as blitzes.

Weaknesses: Doesn't consistently take sound angles to blocks, struggles to adjust to moving targets in space and has some problems getting into position at the second level. Lunges at times and spends too much time on the ground. Dives at defenders' legs rather than attacking their thighs and isn't a great cut blocker at this point. While he has active feet and tries to stay in front of defenders, he lacks ideal athletic ability and has problems countering double moves. Missed three games with a sprained knee in 2007 and durability is a concern.

Overall: USC redshirted Rachal during his true freshman season in 2004 and he appeared in all 13 games of the 2005 season in a backup role. Rachal started all 13 games of the 2006 season and the ten games he played in during the 2007 season. It's also worth pointing out that his mother's health and his desire to take care of her may have played a role in his decision to leave school early. Bottom line: Rachal's lack of ideal athleticism will show up more at the NFL level, so he needs to work on masking it with sound technique before competing for a starting role. However, he is already a tough drive blocker and, though it may not be pretty, he finds ways to hold his own as a pass blocker. Rachal is one of the top-three interior offensive linemen in the 2008 class and he should come off the board in the first two rounds.

red

I disagree.

The kid changed position...played WR for the FIRST TIME in college, and posted 80 catches, 1200 yards and 9 TDs in his first two years at the position.

While that isn't huge, when you consider it was his first action at the position, it is damned impressive.

If you think this kid is Bill Schroeder 2, you will be the one who looks like a numbnut in a couple years.

well you look like a fucking idiot everytime you fucking post

do us a favor like your fucking name says and go leap off something

mngolf19
Ras, had to wait awhile until I could see the Pack's pick or until we got a chance. I'm ok with how it is looking so far but kinda wanted OL. None worth a 2nd now though.

Merlin
Billy boy was a tad taller and had that vertical speed. Other then that, Shroeder couldn't catch a cold or even run a route that resembled a football move. This guy looks like a solid blue collar pick. BPA available? No, but a safe pick.

MateoInMex

I gurantee that will be a headline in the local newspapers.

Badgerinmaine
04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
deeeeeeeeeeeeep breaths, red.
Remember how people questioned picking Greg Jennings?

gbgary
04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
No reason to trade up. Is there any player left that would be worth that gamble?

gamble? the whole thing is a gamble. why wouldn't he move up to get someone he WANTS? doesn't make sense not to if there's someone he's very high on.

Merlin
04-26-2008, 06:09 PM

I disagree.

And I get accused of starting shit?

Carolina_Packer
No reason to trade up. Is there any player left that would be worth that gamble? I don't think so. The best CB's are gone, at least those I thought would potentially be starting this year. OL? I think teams that take OL high are going to regret the expense. We seem to have good luck in the later rounds with OL. I wouldn't be "shocked" if we went out and signed a 2nd tier CB after June 1st.

That's getting a little tougher to do with the cap going up. TT's MO seems to be finding street guys vs. older, 2nd tier guys, but you might be right. I thought you might hate that first pick.

Rastak

I disagree.

Dude, fucking chill out. You forget your god damn prozac or something? He should be able to express his opinion.

red
deeeeeeeeeeeeep breaths, red.
Remember how people questioned picking Greg Jennings?

not me, he had 4 great years in college and we needed a wr at the time

i knew what we were getting in jennings

RashanGary
Reminds me of Hines Ward

MadtownPacker
04-26-2008, 06:10 PM

I disagree.

do us a favor like your fucking name says and go leap off somethingAnd the outrage begins. :lol: :lol:

Kiwon
Ted is going to take the best player on his board regardless of position.

That's rule #1 for TT. We just have to be reminded once a year.

KYPack

I disagree.

Red,

Drink them Old Style's one at a time.

woodbuck27
04-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Jordy Nelson Kansas St. 6-25/8 217 4.51

6th Ranked WR at NFL Draft Countdown.

1. Devin Thomas Michigan St. 6-17/8 216 4.40

2. Limas Sweed Texas 6-37/8 215 4.52

3. DeSean Jackson California 5-93/4 169 4.35

4. James Hardy Indiana 6-53/8 217 4.51

5. Mario Manningham Michigan 5-113/4 181 4.45

6. Jordy Nelson Kansas St. 6-25/8 217 4.51

7. Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma 6-33/4 224 4.68

8. Donnie Avery Houston 5-11 192 4.45

9. Andre Caldwell Florida 6-01/4 204 4.37

10. Earl Bennett Vanderbilt 5-111/2 209 4.48

Jordy Nelson Height: 6-25/8 | Weight: 217 | 40-Time: 4.51

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size and bulk with a solid frame...Very productive...Has soft, reliable hands...Shows terrific body control and ball skills...He's more quick than fast...Can run after the catch a bit...Smart, hard working and tough...Still has a little upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great timed speed and lacks a burst...Is not much of a deep threat and won't stretch the field vertically...Is just a slightly above average blocker...Still relatively new to the position & must work on mastering its techniques / nuances.

Notes:
Began his college career as a defensive back and only moved to wide receiver in '05...In high school he won state titles in the 100, 200, 400 and long jump...Had a huge senior campaign and really gave his draft stock a boost...Profiles as more of a possession guy in the NFL but could surprise if he can run better than expected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2003 DNP - - - -
2004 DNP - - - -

2005 11 45 669 14.9 8

2006 13 39 547 14.0 1

2007 12 122 1,606 13.2 11

Totals 36 206 2,822 13.7 20

Jordy Nelson was sensational as a senior, delivering 10.2 receptions for 133.4 receiving yards per game (both second in the nation) and 155.3 all-purpose yards per game (20th). His 2007 totals: 122 catches for 1,606 yards and 11 touchdowns; five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 average) and two scores; and two passing TDs (on four attempts) for 45 yards. Nelson capped off a ridiculously productive senior season with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl. While he lacks elite speed and athleticism, Nelson is quicker than people seem to think and he simply knows how to separate and make plays. He will likely slip to the third round of the upcoming draft but it wouldn't shock us if Nelson spends 10-plus productive seasons in the NFL as a possession No. 2 or No. 3 receiver.

That's OUR newest blood.

PACKERS FOREVER!

red

I disagree.

do us a favor like your fucking name says and go leap off somethingAnd the outrage begins. :lol: :lol:

hey, i asked for an ignore button

Merlin
No reason to trade up. Is there any player left that would be worth that gamble?

gamble? the whole thing is a gamble. why wouldn't he move up to get someone he WANTS? doesn't make sense not to if there's someone he's very high on.

I agree it's all a gamble but I also believe in the philosophy to stack picks because the odds are better that with more picks the better your chances are of finding the football players.

arcilite
red

the hell is ur problem

Deputy Nutz

He didn't play in the SEC so you don't no him.

He is a guy that led the nation in catches with 122.

LL2
04-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Would anyone be cool if GB picked DE Calias Campbell? The guy sounds like a freak at around 6'8". They say he has a motor and another DE with a motor (Kampman) turned out to be pretty good.

mngolf19
Ras, this goes along with trading out of 1st round for Vikes. The guys they would have needed were all gone by pick 17. I think the trade is looking even better after seeing how the draft has gone. And you follow him up with Brohm and all I can say is.... :twisted:

Badgerinmaine

I agree it's all a gamble but I also believe in the philosophy to stack picks because the odds are better that with more picks the better your chances are of finding the football players.
I think TT looks at it the same way.

MadtownPacker
hey, i asked for an ignore buttonMaybe you should talk to my friend.

http://home.sport.rr.com/mciaravino1/chong.jpg

MateoInMex
I have liked TT since he came to GB. I sometimes question why his moves in FA are virutally non-existent.

But when it's all said and done, TT in the past gets average draft grades by the national media, yet his middle and late picks have done better than average for the most part.

MadtownPacker
04-26-2008, 06:13 PM

He didn't play in the SEC so you don't no him.

He is a guy that led the nation in catches with 122.Serio? Damn, that is impressive. Starting to like this pick. Seems like a different type of WR than Jennings.

Rastak
Saints take Porter CB

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height, adequate bulk and outstanding straight-line speed. Has quick feet and fluid hips. Can change directions quickly and displays excellent catch-up burst when the ball is in the air. Shows impressive natural instincts and typically is able to make a quick break on the ball. Does not get caught peeking in the backfield often. He is able to read the QB's eyes and show great anticipation beating the receiver to the spot on underneath routes. Shows very good ball skills, including good timing on leaps and soft hands. Was a major threat with the ball in his hands in college  both on interceptions and in the return game. Has the hands, vision and second gear to make an impact on punt returns in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal strength and only adequate bulk. Not physical enough. Needs to get stronger and tougher in order to hold up in the NFL. Does not support the run nearly as well as his 2007 tackles total (83) would indicate. Looks to avoid contact as much as possible. Will get pushed around at times and struggles to get off of blocks. Also allows bigger receivers to dictate routes.

Overall: Porter arrived at Indiana in 2004 and immediately earned a spot in the lineup, starting seven games before a left clavicle fracture ended his season. He played and started in all 36 games over his final three seasons (2005-'07). For his career, Porter had 212 tackles (5.5 for losses, all last season), two forced fumbles, 16 interceptions, 24 pass breakups and three touchdown returns (one interception, one fumble and one punt). Porter had a breakout season in 2007, recording 83 tackles, six interceptions and four pass breakups. He also averaged 13.6 yards on 35 punt returns, all during his junior and senior seasons. Porter lacks good strength and needs to become more physical  both versus the run and in coverage. However, he is a quick-twitched athlete capable of blanketing wide receivers in man-to-man coverage. Porter also is a playmaker in coverage, as well as the punt return game. Overall, Porter is an underrated prospect with enough potential and versatility to warrant second-round consideration.

Charles Woodson
Would anyone be cool if GB picked DE Calias Campbell? The guy sounds like a freak at around 6'8". They say he has a motor and another DE with a motor (Kampman) turned out to be pretty good.

ive been saying that all day

Merlin

That's getting a little tougher to do with the cap going up. TT's MO seems to be finding street guys vs. older, 2nd tier guys, but you might be right. I thought you might hate that first pick.

No not at all. I have no problem taking guys at any position that look like they are going to be football players. I don't know a ton about Jordy but from the stats I have read, he looks solid. You need a team of football players, the position in some cases is irrelevant.

Lurker64
It's second round pick! He's not supposed to be an all-pro right away. But if you look at this guy, and you realize he's a walk-on that was playing at an all-american level at a position he hadn't played prior to college. He's an athlete and he's driven to be the best he can possibly be on every play.

Whether or not you like the position, you have to like having a guy like that on your squad. I could see Thompson seeing Nelson as an heir to Driver in 2-3 years. Remember, Thompson drafts for the future. He picks guys because he sees needing one in a year or two years. The reason we're not drafting a DT to replace Williams is that we already drafted that guy last year, or two years ago.

I mean, it's a second round pick! We got a guy with a second round grade!

KYPack
04-26-2008, 06:14 PM

OK, I knew it'd happen.

I agree with you 100%

We are ijn the second round.

There is nobody TT needs to trade up for.

He has guys on his board and wants the stack as back up.

He's not gonna break that stack for a shot at one player.

MadScientist
04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
I think TT is not sold on the way Jones developed last year, and with DD getting up there, it may very well be a need pick as well as BPA.

GoPackGo
04-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Is Jordy comparable to Kevin Curtis? (beside being white)

BF4MVP
I'd like that

Merlin

6'8" ???? Sounds like a freak and if he has the athleticism, would be worth it.

gbgary

Began his college career as a defensive back and only moved to wide receiver in '05...In high school he won state titles in the 100, 200, 400 and long jump...Had a huge senior campaign and really gave his draft stock a boost...Profiles as more of a possession guy in the NFL but could surprise if he can run better than expected.

ah hah!! now we know what ted's thinking. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/biggrin5.gif

MadtownPacker
04-26-2008, 06:16 PM

6'8" ???? Sounds like a freak and if he has the athleticism, would be worth it.Yeah, take a gamble like this.

Rastak
Bears and Lions coming up soon..........maybe Lions grab a QB?

GoPackGo
Is Jordy comparable to Kevin Curtis? (beside being white)

BF4MVP
04-26-2008, 06:17 PM

ah hah!! now we know what ted's thinking. http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/biggrin5.gif
HAHAHA Well played, Gary :lol:

BF4MVP

6'8" ???? Sounds like a freak and if he has the athleticism, would be worth it.Yeah, take a gamble like this.
Yep

chain_gang
I like the Jordy Nelson pick. I think he could be another Wes Welker type. He's quick, has good hands, and has good potential as a returner. He'll prove valuable as helping Aaron Rodgers develop.

I did like James Hardy though.

Merlin

OK, I knew it'd happen.

I agree with you 100%

We are ijn the second round.

There is nobody TT needs to trade up for.

He has guys on his board and wants the stack as back up.

He's not gonna break that stack for a shot at one player.

Are you feeling okay???

Once you get to the second round, you aren't necessarily looking for starters. Maybe at #36 you are but later 2nd? no. It's safer to take projects in later rounds to build up the backups as well. Currently, we aren't very deep at some positions :).

MateoInMex
Please ESPN quit showin me Chad Henne's face...pan to the left a little.