Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Deputy Nutz
03-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Day 12

Christian Wilkins DL, Clemson
Films: Tesas A&M, Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzsuP09dupk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7BmqQIBhs

First Take: He has the weight you would like to see from a 3 technique tackle. He is a little short and his arms are short as well. I usually don't care about that but he doesn't get a lot of extension with his arms. The biggest concern I have for him especially in comparison to the other top interior linemen in this draft is that he really struggles to disengage from blocks. He does not work hard enough to clean the offensive lineman's hands off of him. Combine that with his average take off at the snap, and William's habit at getting tall at the snap there is a few concerns. For a big bodied guy Williams needs to get stronger, and I am talking functional strength. The guy looks stiff, and lacks explosion. He doesn't lose his gap responsibility often, he can anchor a little bit. When he does fire off the ball and has a move ready like a swim move or a post and rip move he tends to be more successful. Both films are against good offensive lines, and I think Wilkins can be a starter early in his NFL career, but he needs to work in the weight room on his flexibility and his explosion reps. He has to get quicker with his hands and feet. He might go on day 1 in the draft, I think that it is a little early for him, he is more of a mid second round talent at this point.

RashanGary
03-21-2019, 03:23 PM
Nutz, I watched the full game tape on Ferrell you posted. A few things I noticed

He played really hard and never seemed to give yo his assignment, like you said
He was consistently powerful with his hands
He showed just enough speed to threaten the edge
He mixed in an array of pass rush moves that work
He got consistent pressure
He seemed smart and has his head in the game

He doesn’t seem overly quick/fast or overly powerful. He’s a good blend. I don’t know if he’s a superstar, but I can definitely see a cross between Preston and zadaruus Smith. I think he’s a very safe defensive player. Because of position, he’s probably just worth that no 12 pick.

A part of me wants someone a little flashier. Oliver seems to have a consistency and safeness to him, plus an OMG! Holy fuck quality on top of it. Of the guys who seem to be dropping, Oliver is my guy this year so far. And Jonah Williams 2nd. And then White and Ferrell 3rd. White because he reminds me of Willis and Ferrell because I think he’s such a safe bet to be really good at a premium position.

Sparkey
03-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Quinnen Williams available at 12? Did he fail a drug test or hit his woman?

Right !? Someone on the Packers staff will pull a hammy running the pick up to the podium if this happens.

wist43
03-21-2019, 04:45 PM
I've moved both Oliver and Burns ahead of White... still thinking about Bush at 30 - like I said, I like other position players in that area that are just as good, and we have more need.

Joemailman
03-21-2019, 05:26 PM
I've moved both Oliver and Burns ahead of White... still thinking about Bush at 30 - like I said, I like other position players in that area that are just as good, and we have more need.

So, everybody okay with Gutey picking a guy (Oliver) at 12 even though he missed last 4 games with a knee injury?

wist43
03-21-2019, 08:22 PM
So, everybody okay with Gutey picking a guy (Oliver) at 12 even though he missed last 4 games with a knee injury?

I haven't looked into injuries... haven't seen anything that says he's damaged goods.

MBrown with the foot is a bit concerning. Those tend linger and reoccur... I have the same problem - hurts like hell.

Deputy Nutz
03-22-2019, 10:15 AM
I don't know if you could go wrong with the selection of Ed Oliver, but if you expect him to play 70 snaps and be productive then I think your expectations are too high. I think Williams possibly gives you production throughout the entire game.

bobblehead
03-22-2019, 10:34 AM
I haven't looked into injuries... haven't seen anything that says he's damaged goods.

MBrown with the foot is a bit concerning. Those tend linger and reoccur... I have the same problem - hurts like hell.

I don't know. Everyone hammered TT for taking a guy who ruptured a bicep because his career ended in a back injury. Apparently even a fluke thing like a ruptured bicep should disqualify a guy as a first round pick according to many here.

bobblehead
03-22-2019, 10:37 AM
I don't know if you could go wrong with the selection of Ed Oliver, but if you expect him to play 70 snaps and be productive then I think your expectations are too high. I think Williams possibly gives you production throughout the entire game.

Assume you mean Jonah? I agree. He locks down one of the tackles. Bak likely has another contract left. You pick Jonah and your OT is set for 7 years. You even get to groom rodgers replacement with your future OTs on the roster.

Deputy Nutz
03-22-2019, 10:49 AM
No not Jonah. I was talking about Quinnen Williams. Sorry.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-22-2019, 12:37 PM
Assume you mean Jonah? I agree. He locks down one of the tackles. Bak likely has another contract left. You pick Jonah and your OT is set for 7 years. You even get to groom rodgers replacement with your future OTs on the roster.

Recent history has not been kind to the Pack when it comes to picking OT in the 1st round. Curse of Tony M. Michels did nothing but milk the Pack til he saved up enough for med school. Verbra was just a guy. Sherry was an abomination. Bulaga is a miklsop.

Bal was a 4th rounder. Clift, a 2nd. Taush, a 6th. The awesome Kevin Berry was undrafted.

Refuse to heed history, the mistake repeats. In other words, don’t draft a fat guy til at least the 4th round.

Fritz
03-22-2019, 05:27 PM

Well, it depends. If he is healthy for GB and plays great, I don't mind. But if he gets hurt - even if the injury is entirely unrelated to the college injury - I will blame Gute for picking injury-prone players.

It's easy to be a fan!

Teamcheez1
03-22-2019, 07:31 PM
I am all for trading down 5-10 slots. We need to fill a lot of holes with numerous picks and additional depth.

Bretsky
03-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Recent history has not been kind to the Pack when it comes to picking OT in the 1st round. Curse of Tony M. Michels did nothing but milk the Pack til he saved up enough for med school. Verbra was just a guy. Sherry was an abomination. Bulaga is a miklsop.

Bal was a 4th rounder. Clift, a 2nd. Taush, a 6th. The awesome Kevin Berry was undrafted.

Refuse to heed history, the mistake repeats. In other words, don’t draft a fat guy til at least the 4th round.

Verba was solid

Bretsky
03-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Bulaga is a very very good player when he plays

wist43
03-23-2019, 12:09 AM
I am all for trading down 5-10 slots. We need to fill a lot of holes with numerous picks and additional depth.

We have 1 hole in the starting lineup, and that is at safety.

I would like to see upgrades at ILB and TE, but we are reasonably solid everywhere in terms of fielding NFL caliber players.

Would also like to see more pass rush, even with the addition of the Smiths. At the other positions, we're anticipating 2nd and 3rd year jumps from some guys.

We're headed in the right direction.

bobblehead
03-23-2019, 01:15 AM
No not Jonah. I was talking about Quinnen Williams. Sorry.

Well, no way in hell he is available at 12. If he were they should have alexander sprint to the podium with the envelope.

bobblehead
03-23-2019, 01:18 AM
We have 1 hole in the starting lineup, and that is at safety.

I would like to see upgrades at ILB and TE, but we are reasonably solid everywhere in terms of fielding NFL caliber players.

Would also like to see more pass rush, even with the addition of the Smiths. At the other positions, we're anticipating 2nd and 3rd year jumps from some guys.

We're headed in the right direction.

Wist is optimistic. I give up. I Quit!! We don't have a 2nd starting WR and we don't have an NFL quality TE. RT is still a question mark because you simply can't bet on Bulaga being healthy. We also need another RB.

bobblehead
03-23-2019, 09:29 AM
So I have talked about top 8, but I haven't really broken it down. Tell me if you agree or disagree:

Top players I would love at 12 (of course most definitely wont' be there.)

Quinten Williams
Nick Bosa
Josh Allen
Montez Sweat
Devin White
Ed Oliver
Brian Burns---So I guess there is only 7 for me.

Means that we need 5 of Kyler Murry, Rashaan Gary, DK Metcalf, Jonah Williams, Juwaan Taylor to get picked...maybe another QB or 2 if we are lucky.

Its going to be tough for us to get one of my choices to be honest. In light of processing the information a little more clearly I think a trade back to grab Devin Bush, Clellin Farrell, or TJ Hockenson might make the most sense if we get a fair offer. Also might allow us to trade up from 30 with built capital to grab a Risner or someone we like around 24ish.

red
03-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Wist is optimistic. I give up. I Quit!! We don't have a 2nd starting WR and we don't have an NFL quality TE. RT is still a question mark because you simply can't bet on Bulaga being healthy. We also need another RB.

i don't know if i'd say we don't have a #2 wr

sure, i'd like a great player there too.

but geronimo hasn't looked bad when healthy, and theres a solid chance one of last years rookies takes a step up. ESB and MVS both showed some nice potential imo

bobblehead
03-23-2019, 11:46 AM

but geronimo hasn't looked bad when healthy, and theres a solid chance one of last years rookies takes a step up. ESB and MVS both showed some nice potential imo

Allison is a JAG imo made to look serviceable by a great QB. And I don't bet on "theres a solid chance"

When the offseason started I said we had far too many holes to fill in one season. We have done a nice job so far, but still Q's remain. We are down to needing only 2-3 things breaking in our favor to have a shot. Thats a lot better than needing 6-7 things to break in our favor.

Bulaga stays healthy or spriggs steps up or rookie starts immediately. Rookie WR step up. Graham is only pretending to be old or we need a rookie to come in at a position rookies rarely come in at. I do think its likely we find a good 2nd RB or make due with what we have.

Maybe Jonah Williams or Taylor is the right pick at 12.

Bretsky
03-23-2019, 01:32 PM

You and red have been endlessly pumping this guy and now you dump his ass like a holy fackrell? And you are optimistic....who are you and where did wisty go ??????

SMBASS
03-23-2019, 03:27 PM
I don't want Burns because I don't like these, "tweener" guys. He sure as heck isn't going to play a true DE hand in the dirt position at 235 lbs. and I don't know that he can transition to LB and play in space either. These guys flame out so often I wouldn't waste the pick. Jamal Reynolds anyone... Either pick a true D Lineman who can set an edge and rush the passer or pick a true OLB who can cover, play in space, and generate a pass rush. These guys tend to get swallowed up by real NFL tackles who have quickness, technique and can move their feet. Clay always had problems beating these guys one on one without any element of surprise and he's bigger and stronger than Burns.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't even consider him at 12.

gbgary
03-23-2019, 04:05 PM

i'll say it. i waffle daily about drafting O or D in the first round. a real #2 would sure be nice. the thing about geronimo is he can't stay healthy. the team seems to be trying to get away from guys who can't stay on the field. this is a prove it year for king in this regard. right now it's #2 by committee as it is with the slot guy. if someone doesn't put a strangle hold on both of those positions it may be another long year...especially if they don't make a concerted effort to throw to the backs and if rodgers doesn't get over his trust issues.

wist43
03-23-2019, 04:22 PM
You and red have been endlessly pumping this guy and now you dump his ass like a holy fackrell? And you are optimistic....who are you and where did wisty go ??????

Lol... I like White just fine - would happy to get him at 12. I've just moved up on Burns and Oliver.

I think all 3 of those guys are legit disrupters. One reason I moved those guys ahead of White is Martinez. I'm not satisfied with Martinez, but he's at least serviceable in there.

I think Burns will continue to mature and grow into his frame, and his ceiling could be very high. Harder to find edge guys like that.

Bretsky
03-23-2019, 07:00 PM
Lol... I like White just fine - would happy to get him at 12. I've just moved up on Burns and Oliver.

I think all 3 of those guys are legit disrupters. One reason I moved those guys ahead of White is Martinez. I'm not satisfied with Martinez, but he's at least serviceable in there.

I think Burns will continue to mature and grow into his frame, and his ceiling could be very high. Harder to find edge guys like that.

I do like white a lot but I would not trade up to get him. Short term he is the perfect fit for our needs. I think I like him more than Burns and about equal to Oliver. I would still lone a draft of white and then an edge who falls....maybe polite at 30 and then adderly at 44

Bretsky
03-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Agree with bobble on allisonand would have been fine to see him go

Bretsky
03-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Wait. Wist.... did I read that right? You like Martinez? I need an I’d check. Lol, next thing I know you’ll love o burns......wait....I have a test for you to see if you are the same person I knew. I would love it if Green Bay used their 4th or 5yh round pick on lb they Edwards, how would you feel about that ??

wist43
03-24-2019, 12:10 AM
Wait. Wist.... did I read that right? You like Martinez? I need an I’d check. Lol, next thing I know you’ll love o burns......wait....I have a test for you to see if you are the same person I knew. I would love it if Green Bay used their 4th or 5yh round pick on lb they Edwards, how would you feel about that ??

No I dont like Martinez... I want to see him replaced; but, if it comes down to replacing Martinez or Fackrell, I'd take aim at Fackrell first.

Just trying to prioritize who gets moved off the roster first... I'm still me :)

wist43
03-24-2019, 12:13 AM
I don't want Burns because I don't like these, "tweener" guys. He sure as heck isn't going to play a true DE hand in the dirt position at 235 lbs. and I don't know that he can transition to LB and play in space either. These guys flame out so often I wouldn't waste the pick. Jamal Reynolds anyone... Either pick a true D Lineman who can set an edge and rush the passer or pick a true OLB who can cover, play in space, and generate a pass rush. These guys tend to get swallowed up by real NFL tackles who have quickness, technique and can move their feet. Clay always had problems beating these guys one on one without any element of surprise and he's bigger and stronger than Burns.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't even consider him at 12.

I think Burns has a chance to turn into a beast... he put on about 20 lbs going into the combine, and still retained his speed and quickness.

As he matures, he'll fill out more.

I know Burns doesn't have the best tape of this class, but I think the needle is pointing up on him.

Joemailman
03-24-2019, 08:06 AM
I'm more and more convinced White will not be available when Packers pick. Tampa Bay passed on Roquan Smith last year, and I don't think they'll pass on White this year.

FWIW, NFL.com has 3 mocks. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2019/mock-drafts In all 3, White is taken before the Packers pick. Burns and Oliver are available to the Packers in all 3.

bobblehead
03-24-2019, 08:21 AM
I'm more and more convinced White will not be available when Packers pick. Tampa Bay passed on Roquan Smith last year, and I don't think they'll pass on White this year.

FWIW, NFL.com has 3 mocks. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2019/mock-drafts In all 3, White is taken before the Packers pick. Burns and Oliver are available to the Packers in all 3.

Oliver is one of my 7. Would love for him to come in, be a rotational guy and then after a season in the NFL program take over for an aging Daniels.

Edit: I notice all 3 have Devin Bush going 11 to the Bengals. Wow...apparently I'm not the only one who sees him near equal to White.

jklowan
03-24-2019, 09:10 AM
I think the top 2 LB's are gone anyone have an opinion on those that might be left Mack Wilson in the second of maybe Tevon Coney, TJ Edwards in the 4th or Khalil Hodge in the 6th all look athetic enough to me any thoughts
I am thinking Oliver,Ferrill and Risner are our options on the 1st two picks and am hoping if the miss on a pass rusher that anthony nelson is there in the 3rd 6 7" edge rusher hummm count me in

pbmax
03-24-2019, 09:18 AM

Amazing how he slides in these worse than normal takes into a rant.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Verba was solid

Wasn’t Verba the butt of everyone’s joke?

RashanGary
03-24-2019, 12:47 PM
Oliver is one of my 7. Would love for him to come in, be a rotational guy and then after a season in the NFL program take over for an aging Daniels.

Edit: I notice all 3 have Devin Bush going 11 to the Bengals. Wow...apparently I'm not the only one who sees him near equal to White.

Yeah. Bush is a beast. Have a feeling he’s gonna play for a long time at a high level.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-24-2019, 12:47 PM

WHEN he plays.

Bulaga is a china doll residing in a house of cards. Yes, a damn milksop.

SMBASS
03-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Wasn’t Verba the butt of everyone’s joke?

Verba was the first ever rookie starting left tackle on a Super Bowl team and he later became a serviceable guard. He wasn't a 10 year All-Pro type player and even though you would have liked a little more from a 1st Rd selection he wasn't a complete bust either. He was definitely no Fn' Jason Spriggs or John Michels. In fact, Michels complete suckitude was the reason why Verba was taken the very next year in the 1st RD. Not exactly the best back to back 1st Rd OT selections taken by Wolf.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Verba was the first ever rookie starting left tackle on a Super Bowl team and he later became a serviceable guard. He wasn't a 10 year All-Pro type player and even though you would have liked a little more from a 1st Rd selection he wasn't a complete bust either. He was definitely no Fn' Jason Spriggs or John Michels. In fact, Michels complete suckitude was the reason why Verba was taken the very next year in the 1st RD. Not exactly the best back to back 1st Rd OT selections taken by Wolf.

I wanted Todd to take Logan Mankins over that cocky QB from Butte, so what do I know about fat guys?

Seriously, I'm a firm believer in the classical notion that Peter Griffin could be plugged off the streets, and with some work on his mechanics, he would, at minimum, be solid as a rock.

If Gutekunst takes a fat guy or two (offensive lineman, defensive lineman) in the first round, I'm gonna boycott the Packers.

pbmax
03-24-2019, 07:26 PM

::: Very alarming buzzer sound here :::

Super Bowl GBP had an interesting year at LT, a rarity in those post Lawrence Taylor days. John Michels started 9 games and was ineffective. Gary Brown started 5.

Thanks for Saving Our Ass Award inaugural winner and the namesake for the trophy, Bruce Wilkerson, started 2 games in the regular season and solidified the position through the playoffs.

Ross Verba, selected out of Iowa in 1997, came into challenge Michels, a position neither really won, though Verba got more starts.

Deputy Nutz
03-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Inside linebackers always seem to drop in the draft. I Think White is 1a and Bush is 1b. Not high on either one at 12. I don't see the big play capability from White, and I think Bush relies too much on his physical talents. Mack Wilson is a tier below those two but he would be a legit pick in the second round. He might not be there in the second.

The Packers drafted 3 young guys last year and kept them all on the roster.
St. Brown had 21 catches for 328 yards
J'mon Moore didn't do shit
MVS had 38 catches for over 500 yards.

My expectation is that MVS will be the #2 and Brown will compete to be the number 3 guy. Allison will be in competition for the two and the three. What the Packers truly lack is a slot. MVS, Allison, and Brown are all big outside guys. I would love to see the Packers cut Trevor Davis and look at drafting a Parris Campbell, or an AJ Brown type guy with the 30th or possibly with the second round pick. Deebo Samuel is also an option. He is in the same breath as the other two guys, he is built like a running back, he may not be as fast but he offers a little more toughness and power to the slot.

Deputy Nutz
03-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Day 13?

TJ Edwards LB, Wisconsin
Films, Miami, Penn St,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYi_9wcjkGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YufSpAZe19g

First take: First Wisconsin guy I have broken down. Edwards was an extremely productive college football player. What I like about Edwards is that he has instincts and he understands what offenses are trying to do. He will at times over trust his reads, but at least you knows what his reads are. Edwards is a linebacker that puts himself in the right position to make plays. He takes on blocks well, doesn't get driven down field by linemen, and he punishes lead and kick out blocks. Edwards has some zone coverage abilities but he isn't going to run with a RB. The issues with Edwards is his athleticism. It's not great, more like adequate for a late 3rd to 4th round draft pick. In essence you are drafting Blake Martinez, maybe better, maybe a little worse. Edwards might be a three down linebacker in the NFL because he knows where to be and how to get there, but his tackling in space is going to get taken advantage of in the NFL. His reaction time and body control will be an issue as well. At his best he is going to be a very serviceable piece to a defense. He will get a 100 tackles in the NFL without trying, but there won't be a lot of other eye popping stats.

Deputy Nutz
03-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Day 13

Germaine Pratt LB, NC St.
Films: Wake Forest, Clemson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbfbr4UHJcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AigLyFJIg_Y&t=245s

First Take: Pratt opened some eyes during the combine with his testing numbers. He is sort of the opposite of TJ Edwards, has the athleticism but just isn't that dynamic of a football player. He is slow to react to what is in front of him, and this allows him to get swallowed up by offensive linemen on a very regular basis. He doesn't attack blockers, he takes on blocks flat footed and then has to give ground to get off the block. He cleans up a lot of tackles because he gets to the party a little too late on a regular basis. Where he could contribute at the next level is in a nickle or dime package. He is decent in coverage, and his best attribute is as a blitzer.

pbmax
03-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
Here at the annual league meetings in Arizona, #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst shared a cool story from the draft room on the night Ted Thompson selected Clay Matthews:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2h2ex6UwAANRi8.jpg:large

pbmax
03-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Michael Cohen with Gutekunst

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2i5vSTUcAIZx9V.jpg:large

bobblehead
03-26-2019, 11:26 AM
Interesting. I have been the one SAYING Jimmy is an ineffective blocker. More so he flat out sucks at it. Nice fluff statement, but I haven't seen anything in his entire career to suggest he can block anyone. Still they must believe their own bullshit because they are playing him like an All Pro.

Fritz
03-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Either Gutekunst is attempting to manipulate/mollify Graham, who may be asked to block more next season in in LeFleur's scheme, or Gute will soon turn out to be the worst talent evaluator/Packer GM since the Dan Devine days.

Here's how Devine tried to "upgrade" the quarterback position as GM in the early 70's:

"All told, Devine just didn’t have the eye for quarterback talent in Green Bay. First, he traded a guy who had some real talent in Horn without even giving him a chance.

Devine also drafted Hunter and Tagge. Both were given ample opportunities to succeed, but never did.

But it was the five trades that Devine made to acquire other quarterbacks which really set the Green Bay franchise back. In trading for Bratkowski, Del Gaizo, Concannon, Carlson and Hadl, Devine gave up two first-round picks, four second-round picks, three third-round picks and a fifth-round pick."

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2016/06/11/green-bay-packers-dan-devines-quarterback-miscalculations/

Whichever it is - master manipulator or terrible talent evaluator - we know it's not that Graham is a good blocker.

Joemailman
03-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Either Gutekunst is attempting to manipulate/mollify Graham, who may be asked to block more next season in in LeFleur's scheme, or Gute will soon turn out to be the worst talent evaluator/Packer GM since the Dan Devine days.

Here's how Devine tried to "upgrade" the quarterback position as GM in the early 70's:

"All told, Devine just didn’t have the eye for quarterback talent in Green Bay. First, he traded a guy who had some real talent in Horn without even giving him a chance.

Devine also drafted Hunter and Tagge. Both were given ample opportunities to succeed, but never did.

But it was the five trades that Devine made to acquire other quarterbacks which really set the Green Bay franchise back. In trading for Bratkowski, Del Gaizo, Concannon, Carlson and Hadl, Devine gave up two first-round picks, four second-round picks, three third-round picks and a fifth-round pick."

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2016/06/11/green-bay-packers-dan-devines-quarterback-miscalculations/

Whichever it is - master manipulator or terrible talent evaluator - we know it's not that Graham is a good blocker.

He may have qualified his statement a little bit:

If you watch the tape and watch other tight ends around the league, he’s a pretty solid blocker.

Sounds to me like he's saying there are a lot of guys playing TE in the NFL who aren't any better of a blocker than Graham is. Whether that's true or not, I don't think the Packers season will swing on how good of a blocker Jimmy Graham is. The real question is whether the Packers are paying an 8 figure salary to a guy who can't run and jump much anymore.

mraynrand
03-26-2019, 12:44 PM

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

Honestly, how can you come to any other conclusion than that Devine was sent in purposely to destroy the Packer franchise?

Deputy Nutz
03-26-2019, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYaQyNKIW0

Is this really the 12th player selected in the 2019 draft?

jklowan
03-26-2019, 01:04 PM
No I am guessing if that is there man that they trade down to get Devon Bush, he has been going around 17-20 in most mock and the sims that I have run. And there will be quite a few Edges rushers left when we pick and potentially OL so I say we trade down and grab him pick up so extra ammo to maybe trade up from 30 to get someone else they like. Wishful thinking maybe but that is my guess. White will be long gone by 12 imho, I think either Oakland or Detroit won't pass on him. Oliver seems to be around more than white.

mraynrand
03-26-2019, 01:11 PM

He looks like Nick Barnett. Greedy Williams looked good though - he'd fit right in with a long line of Packer corners who don't like to tackle.

pbmax
03-26-2019, 02:05 PM
That Gute quote is “AJ Hawk gets us lined up correctly” level of faint praise. Who cares if he is a future HoF?

What can he do next year for you? I fear he is the slot solution and he is going to be very limited.

pbmax
03-26-2019, 02:06 PM
NFL Network scroll had a mock draft on it. Brian Burns went 20th.

pbmax
03-26-2019, 02:11 PM
He had a good draft last year (so far) but Gute sounds an awful lot like Al/Ron/Ted:

“The ones that we’ve acquired lately are really fast, too, so that’s helpful,” Gutekunst said. “This is a big man’s game, always has been. Length is important. I don’t think it’s something we’re specifically just targeting. It’s about whether you can play the game. But it kind of just fell the way it fell last year."

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/25/packers-notes-ted-thompson-targeted-clay-matthews-2009-draft/3264638002/

Joemailman
03-26-2019, 02:29 PM
He had a good draft last year (so far) but Gute sounds an awful lot like Al/Ron/Ted:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/25/packers-notes-ted-thompson-targeted-clay-matthews-2009-draft/3264638002/

Who is Al?

SudsMcBucky
03-26-2019, 03:07 PM
Latest mock out of Fantasy Pros has White going at #10 with Pack picking AJ Brown at 12. AK Metcalf at #7.

Zool
03-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Boy he looks pretty blah after that first quarter. Just meandering around.

pbmax
03-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Who is Al?

Alfonso Ribeiro

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Alfonso_Ribeiro.JPG/220px-Alfonso_Ribeiro.JPG

wist43
03-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Anybody know D'Andre Walker's 40 time??

wist43
03-26-2019, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYaQyNKIW0

He has some Jekyl and Hyde tape... one of the reasons I moved some others ahead of him.

He has the tools to dominate though. Just depends on how individual teams view him. He hasn't been playing LB his whole career... he's a converted RB.

Joemailman
03-26-2019, 10:13 PM
Anybody know D'Andre Walker's 40 time??

He did not work out at combine or Pro Day due to sports hernia.

SudsMcBucky
03-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Watched Mel Kiper's Mock 3.0 last night. Had Pack taking Metcalf at #12 and Fant at #30.

wist43
03-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Watched Mel Kiper's Mock 3.0 last night. Had Pack taking Metcalf at #12 and Fant at #30.

That ain't gonna happen.

red
03-27-2019, 08:27 AM

how does that guy still have any credibility?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-27-2019, 08:33 AM

I’d take a RB at 30, but Metcalf and Fant, fuck yeah!

SudsMcBucky
03-27-2019, 09:59 AM

That's a real good question. Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."

George Cumby
03-27-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm seeing mocks showing the TE from Iowa at #12. Is he worth it?

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 10:58 AM
I am not sure about the TEs. The top three certainly separate themselves from the rest of the TE class, but are they top 15? Nothing I have seen would make a team reach for one of them, besides teams don't like to be the first one to take a TE, but when the first one goes then you see a run on them.

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Mock Drafts are such a load of shit. I can't believe guys like Mel have had a job for 30 years doing mock drafts. I think I am going to start a Youtube channel that is just mock drafts. They throw shit on the wall and guys like Tank get all chubbed out. Its disgusting.

pbmax
03-27-2019, 11:54 AM
If the Packers take Metcalf at 12, I give up on caring at all about the draft.

Carolina_Packer
03-27-2019, 11:57 AM
They throw shit on the wall and guys like Tank get all chubbed out. Its disgusting.

Which part, the shitty walls or the chubbing out?

pbmax
03-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Everyone remembers David Boston dominating the League.

https://i.imgur.com/asihpAw.jpg

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Which part, the shitty walls or the chubbing out?

there is no wrong answer

Anti-Polar Bear
03-27-2019, 12:33 PM

Boston never ran 4.33 40.

gbgary
03-27-2019, 12:39 PM
here's joel klatt's mock: joel klatt 1.0 (https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/1465497155609) (wait for it)

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 12:48 PM

who said he does?

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Mock Drafts are such a load of shit. I can't believe guys like Mel have had a job for 30 years doing mock drafts. I think I am going to start a Youtube channel that is just mock drafts. They throw shit on the wall and guys like Tank get all chubbed out. Its disgusting.

You should start that channel. You could make some bills doing that. Do you have a nice hairdo? If not, I can recommend Bill Shatner's toupée specialist.

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 12:52 PM

I hope they take him just to show how full of bullshit this statement is. You'll never stop caring and you know it. :)

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Day 14

Parris Campbell WR, Ohio St
Films: Washington, Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbphSWw5Mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpH7DB2KUOU

First Take: Campbell is one of the fastest wide receivers in this years draft. He had great testing numbers at the combine and he is a hell of an all around athlete. For a guy that has speed to burn he did most of his damage on dig routes, and in the screen game. He has above average hands, and one of his better qualities is understanding the holes in zone coverage. He does a really nice job of finding the open space and settling. This doesn't offer the best opportunity for YAC contributions, but this guy can do damage if he catches the ball on the run. In the two films that I watched he was always in the slot, he did not demonstrate the ability to be a deep threat. His biggest negative is that he will avoid contact at all cost. He is an unwilling blocker. He was not used as a kick return or punt return specialist.

Fritz
03-27-2019, 01:08 PM

Do it, Nutzy! Start out with some research and good mocks, and once you've established a reputation, start to throw some crazy shit in there. Pick a team - say, like the Vikings - and do something like this:

18. Minnesota Vikings - While some say the Vikings need an offensive lineman or wide receiver, my sources in Minneapolis are telling me they have their eye on former University of Michigan quarterback Wilton Speight at this spot. According to my source inside the scouting department, GM Rick Spielman has fallen in love with Speight's measurables, and after Kirk Cousin's disappointing season last year, is ready to move on. According to my source, Speight compares to NFL talents like Jay Cutler and former Ram QB Jim "Chris" Everett.

Fritz
03-27-2019, 01:10 PM

I will start the "Fire Gutekunst" thread if the Packers take this guy at 12.

pbmax
03-27-2019, 01:15 PM
I hope they take him just to show how full of bullshit this statement is. You'll never stop caring and you know it. :)

About football or the Packers, no. But I could give up the draft. I am slowly giving up Men's College basketball. I am ever closer to just going to Spring Training for a month and being a professional old coot.

pbmax
03-27-2019, 01:16 PM
I will start the "Fire Gutekunst" thread if the Packers take this guy at 12.

My bet is Joe is already squatting on that domain.

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 01:18 PM
You should start that channel. You could make some bills doing that. Do you have a nice hairdo? If not, I can recommend Bill Shatner's toupée specialist.

I have great hair, I will grow it out and heavy dab of mouse and then a hot blow dry!

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 01:19 PM
About football or the Packers, no. But I could give up the draft. I am slowly giving up Men's College basketball. I am ever closer to just going to Spring Training for a month and being a professional old coot.

College Basketball. Two words - "Suicide Pool". Changed my life when it comes to March Maddness

pbmax
03-27-2019, 01:24 PM
College Basketball. Two words - "Suicide Pool". Changed my life when it comes to March Maddness

We actually do a big one for the NFL season. Do you pick one team a day to advance or just draft teams and pick up points as they advance?

But I used to tune in for regular season games (B1G and otherwise) and I don't anymore. Have barely watched any game except for the Badgers to demonstrate once again they can neither shoot nor score on offense.

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 01:25 PM
I am ever closer to just going to Spring Training for a month and being a professional old coot.

I believe you

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
We actually do a big one for the NFL season. Do you pick one team a day to advance or just draft teams and pick up points as they advance?

But I used to tune in for regular season games (B1G and otherwise) and I don't anymore. Have barely watched any game except for the Badgers to demonstrate once again they can neither shoot nor score on offense.

I didn't realize that there is a regular season in college basketball.

We pick 2 teams on the first two days of the tournament round of 64, then one team everyday afterwards. Its intense.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-27-2019, 01:55 PM

Word.

Carolina_Packer
03-27-2019, 03:38 PM

My friends and I used to call him David Buston.

George Cumby
03-27-2019, 03:56 PM
I want every episode of Nutz' YouTube Draft videos to end with a photo of Tank's toadstool like chub.

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 04:20 PM
I want every episode of Nutz' YouTube Draft videos to end with a photo of Tank's toadstool like chub.

you're the only one, god help you.

pbmax
03-27-2019, 05:05 PM
I didn't realize that there is a regular season in college basketball.

We pick 2 teams on the first two days of the tournament round of 64, then one team everyday afterwards. Its intense.

And only pick a team once?

gbgary
03-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Mock Drafts are such a load of shit.

they're entertaining, educated-guesses. informative too for those of us who don't watch the college game.

Fritz
03-27-2019, 05:45 PM

You are w-a-a-a-a-y freakier than anyone on Packerrats could have possibly imagined.

The Shadow
03-27-2019, 05:47 PM
My 2 ironclad draft rules :
1. Beware the 'athletic freak' whose actual production was meh - but who performs spectacularly at the Combine.
2. Never draft a guy wearing a red suit & bow tie.

George Cumby
03-27-2019, 06:06 PM
You are w-a-a-a-a-y freakier than anyone on Packerrats could have possibly imagined.

Don’t be so judgy.

Fritz
03-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Why do you think I'm judging?

I highly approve of general freakiness. I am the one going on about Drew Barrymore, after all.

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 08:23 PM
And only pick a team once?

yes

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Why do you think I'm judging?

I highly approve of general freakiness. I am the one going on about Drew Barrymore, after all.

How many times have you watched 'Poison Ivy?'

pbmax
03-27-2019, 09:48 PM
My 2 ironclad draft rules :
1. Beware the 'athletic freak' whose actual production was meh - but who performs spectacularly at the Combine.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5ae33bec19ee86211d8b459d-750-375.jpg

pbmax
03-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Boston never ran 4.33 40.

4.47 and he still was a disappointment.

The Shadow
03-27-2019, 09:57 PM
https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5ae33bec19ee86211d8b459d-750-375.jpg

Exhibit A.

pbmax
03-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Andrew Groover @APGroover
NFL GM party @ASU pro day
Vikings GM Rick Spielman
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst
49ers GM John Lynch
Broncos GM John Elway
Lions GM Bob Quinn

Peter Bukowski @Peter_Bukowski
Packers like N'Keal Harry. Have for a long time.

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 10:41 PM

word

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BTK8CG/redd-foxx-1974-millrun-playhouse-theater-in-the-round-niles-illinois-BTK8CG.jpg

Anti-Polar Bear
03-28-2019, 02:51 AM
Peter Bukowski @Peter_Bukowski
Packers like N'Keal Harry. Have for a long time.

Joey Fucking Sloth, 4.53 40! 6-2 228, 38.5 vertical, 10 wonderlic, 4.53 40.

By comparison, Metcalf: 6-5 228, 40.5 vertical, 35 wonderlic, 4.33 40.

4.33!!! Nuff said.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-28-2019, 02:58 AM
4.47 and he still was a disappointment.

4.47 is sloth compared to 4.33.

Zool
03-28-2019, 08:36 AM
4.47 is sloth compared to 4.33.

Your streak for being dumb is Ripken-esque. Kudos

Also Troy Williamson is on line 1, Darius Heyward-Bey is holding on line 2.

Fritz
03-28-2019, 08:41 AM
How many times have you watched 'Poison Ivy?'

I've been busted.

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Day 15

Foster Moreau TE, LSU
Films: Florida,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0cvFATfz5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdKcS56Bu-A

First Take: Moreau had a pretty good combine where he was able to put up some impressive numbers in the 40 and the vertical jump. He was never a high priorty in the LSU passing game catching around 25 balls a season, but he did make some tough catches over the middle and on the run for LSU in the games that i watched. LSU asked him to do a lot of blocking in their run game and pass game. As a blocking he needs to get stronger and refine his technique and although I may sound critical he could have more success in the NFL than top three guys if he works at it. His feet stop moving on contact a lot of time and he seems to be wall and seal guy on the edge. He doesn't bend enough at the knees when pass blocking and needs to break down and run his feet in space. In college it is good enough sometimes just to put your body between the running back and the defender, in the NFL it will not lead to a lot of success. He drops his head on kick out blocks and again he stops his feet. Moreau would seem to be a mid-round project that could contribute as a rookie. I think he has some potential to be a starter down the road.

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Day 15

Kahale Warring TE, San Diego S (Whale Vagina St.)
Film: Nevada, Highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJZM5x-y6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1w58hAQsPo

First Take: Warring is a guy that scouts are not talking about to the media because they see some really high ceiling type potential out of him. He was a multi-sport kid growing up and was late to the game of football. He is a natural pass catcher. Warring catches the ball out away from his body and looks the ball into his hands. His big frame and weight and maybe because he wears the #87 he looks a bit and plays a bit like Gronk. He seems unsure about himself in the run game, but his footwork looks decent. What astounds me about Warring is he has terrific body control whether in the pass game or in the run game. He looks really fluid. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the late second round or early in the third round.

call_me_ishmael
03-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Eddie "The Cat" Oliver. Agile and quick like a cat. Going to be a beast I think.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1111320935271936001

The last defender to be that size and have that sort of lateral movement/agility was JJ Watt per some folks on Twitter.

Deputy Nutz
03-28-2019, 01:02 PM
JJ Watt was like 5 inches taller.

The Shadow
03-28-2019, 01:33 PM
Day 15

Foster Moreau TE, LSU
Films: Florida,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0cvFATfz5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdKcS56Bu-A

First Take: Moreau had a pretty good combine where he was able to put up some impressive numbers in the 40 and the vertical jump. He was never a high priorty in the LSU passing game catching around 25 balls a season, but he did make some tough catches over the middle and on the run for LSU in the games that i watched. LSU asked him to do a lot of blocking in their run game and pass game. As a blocking he needs to get stronger and refine his technique and although I may sound critical he could have more success in the NFL than top three guys if he works at it. His feet stop moving on contact a lot of time and he seems to be wall and seal guy on the edge. He doesn't bend enough at the knees when pass blocking and needs to break down and run his feet in space. In college it is good enough sometimes just to put your body between the running back and the defender, in the NFL it will not lead to a lot of success. He drops his head on kick out blocks and again he stops his feet. Moreau would seem to be a mid-round project that could contribute as a rookie. I think he has some potential to be a starter down the road.

Only if he lives on an island.

call_me_ishmael
03-28-2019, 03:20 PM
JJ Watt was like 5 inches taller.

Yep, which makes JJ all the more amazing. This isn't to say Oliver is JJ 2.0, who knows how hard he is willing to work, etc, but there is a lot of great raw material there with him. I really like his potential and hope he is available for us.

RashanGary
03-28-2019, 09:28 PM
Yep, which makes JJ all the more amazing. This isn't to say Oliver is JJ 2.0, who knows how hard he is willing to work, etc, but there is a lot of great raw material there with him. I really like his potential and hope he is available for us.

I’m hoping for Oliver too. I have a feeling NFL teams are on him too and he’ll never make it. Hope I’m wrong!

wist43
03-28-2019, 10:31 PM
Only if he lives on an island.

Lord knows what kind of creature hides underneath that uniform :cnf:

Deputy Nutz
03-29-2019, 09:15 AM
Day 16

Gary Johnson LB, Texas
Films, Baylor, Georgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mv3b6Gn2cI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK15Rat8qI8

First Take: The guy is fast. If you want a linebacker that can close the distance in a hurry he is your guy. On the down side is that the other team's water hydration specialist could block him. He is small, he could play safety and he wouldn't seem out of place, and what is worse is he small and does read and react quick enough to beat the blocks to the ball. Johnson looks like he needs to watch and understand more film. I didn't see that he was asked to a do a lot of man coverage, he either covered space, or blitzed. Johnson has good speed so you would think he is a better blitzer, but he has poor timing. His speed might attract some teams, but overall his instincts and size limitations makes him a day 3 draft-able player.

Deputy Nutz
03-29-2019, 09:53 AM
Day 16

Te'von Coney LB, Notre Dame
Film: Stanford, Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gA828i6-04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vmgvlYoNNQ

First Take: Coney is a very instinctual football player. Does a nice job of reading and playing down hill in the run game. Conely blitzes well, and although he seems to significantly lack speed in the open field he can cover zones, and jump routes over the middle. I assume Coney watches and comprehends film well otherwise his physical limitations would be more exposed. He will be guaranteed to struggle at the next level if he is asked to run with TEs. I have talked a lot about hand usage during these break downs, and sure Coney does a decent job with hand usage, but what he does really well is he dips his shoulders well to get underneath blocks. He provides the smallest target to blockers with this little technique. Coney and TJ Edwards are similar players. Neither are blessed with overwhelming athleticism but both are heady football players that will have to come out of the game during obvious passing situations.

Deputy Nutz
03-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Day 16

Cameron Smith LB, USC
Film: California, Texas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OtJkLVNTNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqOW5M8lvOY

First Take: Smith understands the game of football, which from what I am told is important. He did a nice job at the combine on all the testing, but I think the tests are bit misleading in the case of Smith. He doesn't play with a lot of that athleticism. He doesn't get destroyed by blockers, and he doesn't lose a lot in the passing game, its just that he makes a lot of tackles by the shoe strings and that probably won't happen in the NFL. He struggles to take the ball carriers to the ground when he makes contact. He simply needs to get stronger across the board, better functional strength as well. His technique also needs to get better. Analysis puts him some where in day 3 of the draft.

call_me_ishmael
03-29-2019, 11:19 AM
I know he's a bad dude, but if he's available at the 44, do you go Jeffrey Simmons for his upside? Could he be Fletcher Cox?

pbmax
03-29-2019, 11:51 AM
Just putting this here as a placeholder.

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB
We just timed @OleMissFB TE Dawson Knox at 4.57 on his first 40. Losing Knox to injury was a huge disappointment for @seniorbowl. Iowa’s T.J. Hockenson is a very good prospect and justifiably getting first-round buzz but @dawson_knox is similar and nobody is talking about him.

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB
UPDATE: Knox just ran 4.51 on his second 40. These times should get him where he belongs...in the first-round conversation.

I actually looked at the Ole Miss vs. Alabama clips. He is 6' 4" and 250 but looks thin as a rail. He spent most of the game as an outlet in the flat or blocking an EDGE with a RB. He's perfectly willing to block, does a decent job of staying in front of people but has no anchor. On the 6 or so routes he ran, he looked like he could find space in the middle but Ole Miss's offense was so bad in this game I don't know what you can take away from it. There is no way you say first rounder with just this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKAFwZhdh5w

Deputy Nutz
03-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Ole Miss has like 6 or 7 draftable players on offense. What horrible production.

call_me_ishmael
03-29-2019, 01:45 PM
I don't want the kids from Ole Miss that are certainly PED'd up and getting paid. Not to say every school isn't doing it but few schools make it as obvious as Ole Miss.

Anyone have a swim mask bong they can loan Ed Oliver so we can make a pre-draft video :)

pbmax
03-29-2019, 03:39 PM
I don't want the kids from Ole Miss that are certainly PED'd up and getting paid. Not to say every school isn't doing it but few schools make it as obvious as Ole Miss.

Anyone have a swim mask bong they can loan Ed Oliver so we can make a pre-draft video :)

The only PED users are definitely at Ole Miss. No one else out there uses the stuff.

MadScientist
03-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Mock Drafts are such a load of shit.
They are called mock drafts because you are supposed to mock them and the idiot that came up with them. I saw a 7 round mock a couple of weeks ago that had the Packers taking a TE in the mid rounds and everyone else was DE/EDGE. It looked more like a Packerrats draft contest entry than an intelligent analysis.

run pMc
03-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Just putting this here as a placeholder.

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB
We just timed @OleMissFB TE Dawson Knox at 4.57 on his first 40. Losing Knox to injury was a huge disappointment for @seniorbowl. Iowa’s T.J. Hockenson is a very good prospect and justifiably getting first-round buzz but @dawson_knox is similar and nobody is talking about him.

Jim Nagy @JimNagy_SB
UPDATE: Knox just ran 4.51 on his second 40. These times should get him where he belongs...in the first-round conversation.

I actually looked at the Ole Miss vs. Alabama clips. He is 6' 4" and 250 but looks thin as a rail. He spent most of the game as an outlet in the flat or blocking an EDGE with a RB. He's perfectly willing to block, does a decent job of staying in front of people but has no anchor. On the 6 or so routes he ran, he looked like he could find space in the middle but Ole Miss's offense was so bad in this game I don't know what you can take away from it. There is no way you say first rounder with just this film.

HAHAHAHAHA
I don't get the Dawson Knox in Round 1 talk -- that's the first I've heard of that. The guy has very little production, and yes I get it's the fault of Ole Miss offense. There are at least 3 TEs who you can name that will get drafted before this kid. Maybe he'll be a good player, maybe he'll be Bucky Hodges.

Honestly, I don't get the idea of drafting a TE in the top 20 picks. They take time to figure out the pro game and unless you treat them as a glorified WR aren't likely to make an impact their rookie year.

pbmax
03-30-2019, 09:48 AM
HAHAHAHAHA
I don't get the Dawson Knox in Round 1 talk -- that's the first I've heard of that. The guy has very little production, and yes I get it's the fault of Ole Miss offense. There are at least 3 TEs who you can name that will get drafted before this kid. Maybe he'll be a good player, maybe he'll be Bucky Hodges.

Honestly, I don't get the idea of drafting a TE in the top 20 picks. They take time to figure out the pro game and unless you treat them as a glorified WR aren't likely to make an impact their rookie year.

I get it, it does seem like hype. I haven't gotten to any other film beside Alabama punching them into submission within 5 minutes, but it seems out of the blue. They had one effective play and it was a go route.

However, having seen some highlights of that team's offense from last year, as Nutz pointed out, it might be that draftable NFL talent isn't enough if your offensive design, the QB and the blocking are taking turns being terrible.

Which is a reason I still don't want Metcalf in the first round, but I am willing to consider that he was misused in that system.

pbmax
03-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein
Jachai Polite's 5.04 official 40 at pro day with slow 3-cone, poor broad jump and low bench press or going to likely drop him even more. Rare to get slower at the Pro Day than combine.

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks
These things can all be true:
I love Aaron Donald
I love Ed Oliver
They both have elite quickness
Aaron Donald had much better hand usage & pass rush plan/execution/production. He didn't get uprooted vs run, Oliver does at times.
Ed Oliver will be a very good pro.

wist43
03-30-2019, 12:26 PM
Yeah, Polite has gone from a top 15 pick to a 6th rounder in the span of 2 months. Never seen a guy drop like that... amazing.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Ole Miss has like 6 or 7 draftable players on offense. What horrible production.

2 reasons: the OC didn’t know how to maximize his players’ Kung Fus (that’s hip hop for skill sets) and QB #10 was a Brooks Bollinger clone.

The Miss-LSU game, the OC had Metcalf run mainly go and hitch routes. #10 was, well, Bollingersque. Notice that Greedy Williams shadowed Metcalf all game, not AJ Brown. proof that Metcalf is Wu Tang (that’s hip hop for awesome, more skillful than Brown). Metcalf gifted Greedy with a couple of drops.

call_me_ishmael
03-30-2019, 03:30 PM
The only PED users are definitely at Ole Miss. No one else out there uses the stuff.

It’s a cultural thing. Where’s the production from any of these 5 star players who someone made their way to a crap school and rolled up in Lexus’s while a part of the NCAA?? They’ve all busted, even Tunsil is only
Okay is my understanding.

call_me_ishmael
03-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Take Polite in round 3 and sack the quarterback. The tape speaks for itself but I agree the rest is eyebrow raising.

pbmax
03-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Sternberger: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/interest-continuing-to-grow-between-packers-sternberger-737?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

red
03-31-2019, 05:31 PM
Sternberger: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/interest-continuing-to-grow-between-packers-sternberger-737?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

we've been desperate for a white guy to catch the ball since jordy left

Joemailman
03-31-2019, 06:14 PM
we've been desperate for a white guy to catch the ball since jordy left

And then Janis left.

George Cumby
03-31-2019, 07:52 PM
And then Janis left.

He said “catch the ball”.

Joemailman
03-31-2019, 08:22 PM
Chad Reuter with 4 round mock draft: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024599/article/fourround-2019-nfl-mock-draft-raiders-fins-trade-up-for-qbs

Packer picks:

PICK 12

T.J. Hockenson - TE
School: Iowa | Year: Sophomore (RS)
It's a coin flip whether the Packers take Ed Oliver or Hockenson here, but in this scenario, Green Bay gets a receiving threat for Aaron Rodgers and a fierce blocker for the run game.

PICK 30

Johnathan Abram - S
School: Mississippi State | Year: Senior
After addressing an offensive need with the 12th pick, the Packers find a leader for the secondary in Abram.

PICK 44

Kaleb McGary - OT
School: Washington | Year: Senior (RS)
Right tackle Bryan Bulaga's future with the Packers is in doubt due to injuries that have limited him to just two 16-game seasons in nine years. McGary will be a solid starter for the Packers whenever he takes over the starting gig.

PICK 75

Zach Allen - DE
School: Boston College | Year: Senior
Allen is a powerful 5-technique prospect who could make things easier for the Packers after the 2019 season if Mike Daniels departs as a free agent.

PICK 114

Anthony Johnson - WR
School: Buffalo | Year: Senior (RS)
Though the Packers selected three receivers in last year's draft, they will look for value at the position this year, as well. Johnson's strong routes and hands make him a valued middle-round pick.

PICK 118

Trayveon Williams - RB
School: Texas A&M | Year: Junior
Williams will be a fine addition to the Packers' backfield, which may need depth if Aaron Jones struggles with knee injuries again in 2019.

red
03-31-2019, 08:32 PM
He said “catch the ball”.

Exactly

We wanted so badly for Janis to be that guy, now it kumerwhatever

Packer fans love their white players

Bretsky
03-31-2019, 08:33 PM
MANY have GB getting the Iowa TE at pick 12; IMO that would be crazy.

If they picked him over Oliver I think I'd throw up on myself

run pMc
03-31-2019, 08:37 PM
Metcalf/Greedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IBk28YDc-4

If you go solely off this video, there's not much to make you recommend Metcalf.

----

Hype or no, I realize this is considered a good TE class but I don't see 5 TE going in R1...and let's be honest, Dawson Knox is maybe the 5th best TE. I do think there will be a run on TEs in R2-3, and unless you're convinced Hock is a year 1 starter and destined for All Pro greatness a high R1 pick is pretty rich for a TE.

JMHO

Gute will keep us guessing.

Joemailman
03-31-2019, 09:27 PM

It's interesting. Like you said there are a lot of sites that have Gutey taking Hock at 12. Yet when I do a mock on those interactive draft sites like Fanspeak or Draft Network, he is usually available at 30. Which would make a lot more sense.

texaspackerbacker
03-31-2019, 09:30 PM
This Reuter thing seems pretty stupid. It kinda typifies the out of touch and disrespectful attitude that media and outsiders often have. How could the idiot think we go 4 rounds without an ILB?

I'm fairly sure Gutekunst will bring in a lot better group than that.

call_me_ishmael
04-01-2019, 12:20 AM
I highly doubt Hochenson will be available at 30 but I am just another draft pundit. Seems like he is a special talent at the position and basically a sure-fire pro bowler.

pbmax
04-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Mike Renner @PFF_Mike

Defenders with <= 4.65 40s and <=7.0 3-cones weighing >250 pounds at combine this century:

Chase Winovich
Montez Sweat
Harold Landry
Leighton Vander Esch
Jordan Willis
Justin Houston
Jerry Hughes
Jason Worilds
Connor Barwin
Cliff Avril
Mark Anderson
DeMarcus Ware
Brian Urlacher

red
04-01-2019, 09:13 AM

Yup, how does a big slow TE, fit in a rods system of looking for the long ball along the sideline on every play?

red
04-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Mike Renner @PFF_Mike

Defenders with <= 4.65 40s and <=7.0 3-cones weighing >250 pounds at combine this century:

Chase Winovich
Montez Sweat
Harold Landry
Leighton Vander Esch
Jordan Willis
Justin Houston
Jerry Hughes
Jason Worilds
Connor Barwin
Cliff Avril
Mark Anderson
DeMarcus Ware
Brian Urlacher

So, still a 50/50 chance of being a bust

Seems to be stats not worth looking at imo

gbgary
04-01-2019, 09:53 AM
Yup, how does a big slow TE, fit in a rods system of looking for the long ball along the sideline on every play?

lol...exactly.

pbmax
04-01-2019, 10:31 AM

List the busts.

Fritz
04-01-2019, 11:03 AM

Uh oh. I totally agree, Bretsky, and the last time we totally agreed on something, that something was utter crap (Odell Thurman, remember?)

So I, too, will puke up on myself if Oliver is there and they take Hockenson. But does that mean that Hockenson will be great because you and I agree it's a bad pick at #12 when you could've had Oliver, or does it mean that because you and I like Oliver he will be a lousy player, especially if the Packers draft him?

The Curse of Odell Thurman can be a little confusing.

pbmax
04-01-2019, 11:41 AM
So Bubba Franks all over again is the feeling?

Smidgeon
04-01-2019, 02:02 PM
I worry about the undersizedness of Oliver. I don't know if it's founded, but I don't want another Jamaal "Too Small" occurring.

Fritz
04-01-2019, 05:20 PM
I don't think they're the same guy at all. From what I can get, and what I remember, Jamaal Reynolds was strictly a speed rusher. He was not physical, at all. Oliver is physical, and quick.

Don't worry, the car salesman said reassuringly.

Joemailman
04-01-2019, 05:26 PM
I worry about the undersizedness of Oliver. I don't know if it's founded, but I don't want another Jamaal "Too Small" occurring.

While he generally plays with good leverage due to his low center of gravity and hand technique, Donald occasionally struggles to hold his ground at the point of attack. To occupy gaps and anchor against the run at the next level, size is typically a critical prerequisite. At 285 pounds with a maxed out frame, he lacks the mass many teams value in the trenches. Occasionally, these limitations show on tape, as he can be engulfed by longer blockers and simply overpowered at times.

From a scouting report on Aaron Donald.

Fritz
04-01-2019, 05:29 PM
I am officially hoping it's Ed Oliver.

Though I base this solely on what others have said.

And I will angrily disagree with anyone who says he's not the best pick for the Packers if he's there at #12. I will fall into depression if he's there and they don't draft him.

I am a true fan.

Joemailman
04-01-2019, 05:32 PM
This Reuter thing seems pretty stupid. It kinda typifies the out of touch and disrespectful attitude that media and outsiders often have. How could the idiot think we go 4 rounds without an ILB?

I'm fairly sure Gutekunst will bring in a lot better group than that.

There may be fewer than 10 ILB's in this draft good enough to be drafted in the 1st 4 rounds. So with 32 teams drafting it certainly could happen. Especially if you get a round where there is a run on ILB's.

Fritz
04-01-2019, 05:34 PM
While I think Devin Bush will be a good pro, maybe very good, he does have a lot to learn. He's too aggressive, prone to dumb penalties, prone to guessing wrong. I think of him as a second-round kind of guy, but I see people have him going in the first. Interesting.

bobblehead
04-03-2019, 10:06 PM

I was pissed we traded down with Derwin James on the board last year and we hurt at S all season. Ed Oliver is my Derwin this year. Better take him if he is there.

RashanGary
04-04-2019, 04:17 AM
If Aaron Donald wasn’t the best defensive tackle to come out in years, teams might pass on Oliver. But with Donald in everyone’s mind as the comparison for Oliver, i highly highly doubt he’ll make it to is. I watched his tape. He’s quick and powerful. Test numbers backed it up. I’m 90% sure he’s gone.

RashanGary
04-04-2019, 04:28 AM
The worst part about Oliver is that his tape shows him throwing mother fuckers around and roasting them with quickness too. Then dude showed up and jumped 36”, showing ridiculous power for a 290 pound guy. I was hoping his 40 would suck but he showed up and ran a 4.75 with a 3-cone and shuttle closer to a WR than a DL. Fuck, dude is a freak. His tape didn’t lie. Nutz said just on tape, Oliver was better than Williams. I think Nutz is probably right and Oliver is gonna be one of the surprise top 5 picks in a couple weeks. Unfortunately.

bobblehead
04-04-2019, 09:06 AM
The worst part about Oliver is that his tape shows him throwing mother fuckers around and roasting them with quickness too. Then dude showed up and jumped 36”, showing ridiculous power for a 290 pound guy. I was hoping his 40 would suck but he showed up and ran a 4.75 with a 3-cone and shuttle closer to a WR than a DL. Fuck, dude is a freak. His tape didn’t lie. Nutz said just on tape, Oliver was better than Williams. I think Nutz is probably right and Oliver is gonna be one of the surprise top 5 picks in a couple weeks. Unfortunately.

I agree. Mock drafts are mockable. If I were betting, both sweat and oliver go top 6. Josh Allen slips past 6. A guy like Christian Wilkins could end up being our pick at 12 and everyone will be pissed until he plays. Then everyone pretends they knew how good he was all along.

If I had to pick 2 guys I like that are likely to slide past 15 it would be Burns and Dillard. Lets make it 3 and add Risner. I don't like the "top 2" tackles this year. Another guy who sneaks into the first (maybe to us at 30) is Nasir Adderly. Kid has a nice skill set. Hard to project because he played against less competition, but he really fits my mold of a S.

pbmax
04-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Hold the phone. I thought tape showed Oliver getting moved in the run game, having trouble holding the point of attack.

Is this just dissembling?

run pMc
04-04-2019, 09:40 AM
I think Oliver will be gone, but if he's there at 12 you take him. He can back up Daniels for a year and play sub packages. Don't think it will happen though. Unless people get stupid with overdrafting QBs, he looks like a Top 10 pick to me.

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Mike Renner @PFF_Mike

Chase Winovich
Montez Sweat
Harold Landry
Leighton Vander Esch
Jordan Willis
Justin Houston
Jerry Hughes
Jason Worilds
Connor Barwin
Cliff Avril
Mark Anderson
DeMarcus Ware
Brian Urlacher

I like film on pass rushers better than the combine numbers. Guys like Sweat and Burns their film doesn't lie, while I think Combine numbers don't tell the entire truth. Sweat and Burns have worked their way into the conversation into the top 15 of the draft. Honestly, if Ted Thompson was running this draft He would pass up production for combine numbers. Polite would be a slight reach at the end of the first round based on his production in college. He had a bad combine both physically and emotionally and those throw red flags all over, but what that tells me is that he will probably go in this draft where he belongs some where between 30-50. Edit: I didn't see his post combine workouts. That guy tanked faster than the Titanic!

Ferrell's forty time throws some red flags, but his tape doesn't lie. Great hips, really good hand usage, and can rush the passers with several different options. He is a prototypical edge rusher, but maybe not in a 3-4 base.

My suggestion for all of you is to not listen to the mock drafts about pass rushers and watch some youtube on them and decide who is the best fit or best rusher.

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Williams plays in a defense where he has 6 other NFL guys around him. Oliver, not quite the supporting cast. Offenses can afford to double team him and run as many blockers as needed. All defensive linemen will lose position in the run game, it happens. I don't think Oliver or Williams will disappoint at the next level, but the better player will develop faster and add more to their arsenal. I think Oliver has a bit of lead already in that category. Williams beat a lot of guys with a single move, the swim move in college, not sure if he will keep his head above water in the NFL with just that move. Regardless it will come down to who wants to be a Hall of Fame DT. Both have potential.

Deputy Nutz
04-05-2019, 09:20 AM
I agree. Mock drafts are mockable. If I were betting, both sweat and oliver go top 6. Josh Allen slips past 6. A guy like Christian Wilkins could end up being our pick at 12 and everyone will be pissed until he plays. Then everyone pretends they knew how good he was all along.

If I had to pick 2 guys I like that are likely to slide past 15 it would be Burns and Dillard. Lets make it 3 and add Risner. I don't like the "top 2" tackles this year. Another guy who sneaks into the first (maybe to us at 30) is Nasir Adderly. Kid has a nice skill set. Hard to project because he played against less competition, but he really fits my mold of a S.

I would pass at Wilkins at 12. In fact I like Dexter Lawrence better than Wilken if we are talking Clemson DTs. I don't like Lawrence at 12 either, but I think you see my point.

Safety is pretty deep when you get into the late first, second, and third round. I don't think Adderly is head and shoulders above some of the other guys.

Fritz
04-05-2019, 09:31 AM

This is my strategy, exactly. Nobody remembers and most are too lazy to look up what I said.

run pMc
04-05-2019, 11:35 AM
My suggestion for all of you is to not listen to the mock drafts about pass rushers and watch some youtube on them and decide who is the best fit or best rusher.

100% agree. One of the reasons I like Burns is for a young guy he actually has some pass rush moves. Ferrell wins more on technique/moves than athleticism. Oliver was miscast at NT but he could be a demon in subpackages or at 3T.
Wilkins might be a slight reach at 12 but not by much. He moves pretty well for a guy his size and can play all over the line. The problem I have with the Clemson guys is there were a few of them so you don't know if someone is benefiting more than others. Same thing with Miss.St.- they had the top ranked overall defense in the SEC, but was Sweat better because of Simmons, or other way around, and did those guys make others like Abram look better?

As it is, I think it's a better to prefer tape/production over combine numbers; the athletic numbers are useful to confirm what the film shows though.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 11:34 PM
I don't think they're the same guy at all. From what I can get, and what I remember, Jamaal Reynolds was strictly a speed rusher. He was not physical, at all. Oliver is physical, and quick.

Don't worry, the car salesman said reassuringly.

"Your going to love her she's a real beauty." Every Used Car Salesman that ever wore a dress shirt and tie and a pair of loafers.

mraynrand
04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
"Your going to love her she's a real beauty." Every Used Car Salesman that ever wore a dress shirt and tie and a pair of loafers.

"There's another guy really interested in the car at this price. He's coming by in a couple of hours, so now's the time to make your move - if you want the car, that is. Sure is a nice car."

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fc8.alamy.com%2Fcomp%2FBKD484%2Fthe-hot-spot-1990-don-johnson-BKD484.jpg&f=1

wist43
04-06-2019, 11:21 AM
Saw that Jeff Smith is coming in for a visit... interesting player.

bobblehead
04-06-2019, 11:29 AM
Recent mocks have Sweat slipping to us and then we take Hockenson. I would break a TV if that happened. It won't though. Sweat goes top 5 I bet. He has decent production, great senior bowl and generational Combine. Heart issue? If 32 teams are worried about it he shouldn't be drafted. Lots of guys have murmers and such. I don't think its a danger. Again, if it is he shouldn't go til round 4 if at all.

mraynrand
04-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Saw that Jeff Smith is coming in for a visit... interesting player.

With a 4.34, he might not last until day 3.

Deputy Nutz
04-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Sweat to me is a 5 tech weakside edge rusher. He has really long arms and legs and looks goofy when he runs. Even with his combine numbers I don't see him as a stand up backer or end that can comfortably drop into coverage if needed. If his job is to simply rush the passer then put him in a 4 pt stance and let him loose from there. Same could be possibly said for Ferrell.

Burns could be used more as a stand up end, but make no mistake, he is still an edge rusher. He is just a bit more familiar with it.

My suggestion is that the Packers need to stop drafting the square peg in hopes they can eventually fit it through a circular opening. Sure, flexible defenses can have options for all different potential athletes.

smuggler
04-06-2019, 05:48 PM

List has literally zero current busts and one player looking like he could be a bust (Jordan Willis) and includes at least one Hall of Famer.

pbmax
04-06-2019, 10:00 PM
After speaking with a few different teams, I definitely get the feeling that Dwayne Haskins draft stock was more media created than team driven. I see Haskins falling on draft day and I think the chances are increasing that he is not the second QB off the board.

red
04-06-2019, 10:25 PM
After speaking with a few different teams, I definitely get the feeling that Dwayne Haskins draft stock was more media created than team driven. I see Haskins falling on draft day and I think the chances are increasing that he is not the second QB off the board.

i don't see how the other QB could be the top pick either, i think thats all media driven too

no one was saying he was going anywhere near the top until the combine, where he didn't work out. then all of a sudden the cardinals (who took rosen at #10 last year) are gonna take him number one

from what i can tell the only reason he shot up to the top of the draft was because he measured in at an 1/8 inch taller then people thought he was

fact of the matter is, i don't know if any of these QB's are really first round talents

Fritz
04-07-2019, 08:15 AM
If you're going to draft a University of Michigan player, draft Chase Winovich, not Rashan Gary. Winovich will get after it. I don't know when he's projected to be drafted, but he would make a nice, energetic addition to this team's defense.

Joemailman
04-07-2019, 08:25 AM
If you're going to draft a University of Michigan player, draft Chase Winovich, not Rashan Gary. Winovich will get after it. I don't know when he's projected to be drafted, but he would make a nice, energetic addition to this team's defense.

Based on what I've read, probably a 2-3 round pick. What you've said about him jives with the scouting reports about him.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-winovich?id=32195749-4e47-5149-25c9-b78e6eda4b7f

Physical edge defender who plays the game like he has zombie blood pumping through his veins. Winovich is relentless, determined and takes no plays off, but his lack of physical traits and explosiveness as a rusher could limit his upside. Scheme fit could determine his role as 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 rush linebacker, but his football character and physicality improve his odds for success as an eventual starter.

He even has Clay Matthews' hair.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/775/607/7607775.jpg

bobblehead
04-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Sweat to me is a 5 tech weakside edge rusher. He has really long arms and legs and looks goofy when he runs. Even with his combine numbers I don't see him as a stand up backer or end that can comfortably drop into coverage if needed. If his job is to simply rush the passer then put him in a 4 pt stance and let him loose from there. Same could be possibly said for Ferrell.

Burns could be used more as a stand up end, but make no mistake, he is still an edge rusher. He is just a bit more familiar with it.

My suggestion is that the Packers need to stop drafting the square peg in hopes they can eventually fit it through a circular opening. Sure, flexible defenses can have options for all different potential athletes.

I like to draft production first. Football players not athletes. Thing about Sweat is that he was productive. His agility scores and explosive scores were just as good as the only number anyone seems to notice. I think he would work out great at OLB especially if you start him out situationally behind the guys you just signed.

bobblehead
04-07-2019, 10:30 AM
List has literally zero current busts and one player looking like he could be a bust (Jordan Willis) and includes at least one Hall of Famer.

Don't stop him, he's on a roll!!!

Or

Don't trifle me with details!!

bobblehead
04-07-2019, 10:33 AM
i don't see how the other QB could be the top pick either, i think thats all media driven too

no one was saying he was going anywhere near the top until the combine, where he didn't work out. then all of a sudden the cardinals (who took rosen at #10 last year) are gonna take him number one

from what i can tell the only reason he shot up to the top of the draft was because he measured in at an 1/8 inch taller then people thought he was

fact of the matter is, i don't know if any of these QB's are really first round talents

Until recently the ILB that measured about 2" taller than people thought and put together a combine nearly identical to Whites got no love at all. Funny...its almost as if people react with emotion instead of facts.

bobblehead
04-07-2019, 10:36 AM
plays the game like he has zombie blood pumping through his veins. Winovich is relentless, determined and takes no plays off, but his lack of physical traits and explosiveness as a rusher could limit his upside.

Sounds like John Randall. His upside was limited to perennial pro bowl.

red
04-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Chase Winovich- ?
Montez Sweat- ?
Harold Landry -? 1 season 4.5 sacks
Leighton Vander Esch- ? looks like a stud
Jordan Willis - 2 seasons 2 sacks
Justin Houston- stud
Jerry Hughes- 1st rounder. 9 seasons, 4 sacks. just over 5 sacks per season. not great
Jason Worilds- 2nd round pick. quit after 5 seasons, averaged 5 sacks per year. blah
Connor Barwin- 2nd rounder. 10 seasons, 56.5 sacks. 5.65 sacks per season. eh.
Cliff Avril - stud
Mark Anderson- 36.5 sacks in 8 years. 4.5 sacks per year. nothing special
DeMarcus Ware- stud
Brian Urlacher- stud

i stick by my statement

maybe the guys aren't complete bust, but half are very mediocre

SMBASS
04-07-2019, 03:32 PM
I haven't heard a lot of buzz about him and I'm not sure where he's projected to go, but WR Hakeem Butler from Iowa State intrigues me. Guy is 6' 6" and knows how to use his body to block out defenders and position himself for jump balls. Ran a 4.48 40 at the combine so he's plenty fast.

I watched him play quite a bit in college and he's strong so he breaks a lot of tackles too. He really competes for the ball when it's in the air. He also showed up big against big time competition in key games which I liked to see.

wist43
04-07-2019, 04:13 PM
I like to draft production first. Football players not athletes. Thing about Sweat is that he was productive. His agility scores and explosive scores were just as good as the only number anyone seems to notice. I think he would work out great at OLB especially if you start him out situationally behind the guys you just signed.

Sweat can't play OLB... don't care what his combine numbers were, he's simply not athletic enough to play in space.

That said, I think he's a tough, productive player, and will be a decent pro. His lack of bend and ability to win with speed/quickness limits him from being elite. Think he will be good though.

Yes, I know the combine numbers; but, watch his tape... he plays stiff and upright.

wist43
04-07-2019, 04:20 PM

Based on what I've read, probably a 2-3 round pick. What you've said about him jives with the scouting reports about him.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-winovich?id=32195749-4e47-5149-25c9-b78e6eda4b7f

Not keen on Winovich. Given where he's projected to go, I'd much rather focus on other positions.

red
04-07-2019, 04:48 PM

aw, another member of the master race

just what packer fans crave

we are running out of white guys to worship on this team

mraynrand
04-07-2019, 05:44 PM
aw, another member of the master race

just what packer fans crave

we are running out of white guys to worship on this team

this is a bad take, even if in 'jest'

red
04-07-2019, 06:11 PM

Hey packer fans love their white players, most have probably never seen a real life “negro”

And the state as a huge population of germans

pbmax
04-07-2019, 08:32 PM
plays the game like he has zombie blood pumping through his veins. Winovich is relentless, determined and takes no plays off, but his lack of physical traits and explosiveness as a rusher could limit his upside.

Sounds like John Randall. His upside was limited to perennial pro bowl.

Randall is the comparison Oliver is getting.

RashanGary
04-07-2019, 11:51 PM
I like winnovich. Fast, passionate, agile, loves football. Lacks power, but really is sort of a clay Matthews kind of player. Clay was better before the steroid investigations. Winnovich might not be quite as strong as clay, but he’s a little faster. He’d be a really cool pick at some point. I’d be very excited!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-08-2019, 03:14 AM

Fun facts: Homo Sapiens were all black at one point in time. Over time, groups parted ways as they chased game. They met and fucked with other species of homos before eventually annihilating said homos. As time passed, certain groups became isolated. “Race” is the offspring of the incesteous breedings between homogeneous humans within an isolated ecology, with respect to time.

mraynrand
04-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Fun facts: Homo Sapiens were all black at one point in time. Over time, groups parted ways as they chased game. They met and fucked with other species of homos before eventually annihilating said homos. As time passed, certain groups became isolated. “Race” is the offspring of the incesteous breedings between homogeneous humans within an isolated ecology, with respect to time.

As an answer to the question: "Describe the role of reproductive isolation in speciation" you receive 1 of 5 possible points. See me after class.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Let me just say this now, I would not take Burns or Sweat with the 12th pick. I think they are tweeners and lack technique to go that high. I see bust written on those two guys. That is not saying that they will be busts, they could really turn into technique guys in the off season and weight room guys, but they both have really skinny frames.

So then you all say, who is not a bust? Well they all can be busts, nature of the business. Outside of Bosa, the guy that I think has the most to offer right away is Ferrell. He has the best film, even better than Allen's.
Ferrell does drop into coverage more often than a lot of the other edge rushers. He will even go from a 4 pt stance to covering the flat or back on a wheel routes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34oLb7h4VYE

Cheesehead Craig
04-08-2019, 10:28 AM
I always love when players are drafted and the coach/GM says "We got ourselves a football player in [insert name here]." Well halle-fucking-luiah! Were they considering selecting a lawn bowling stud? A pickle ball prodigy? Beer pong phenom? Ok, this is WI so that last one could play OL.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Day 17

Juan Thornhill S, Virginia
Films: NC St, Miami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqnzEVetg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQdl0tA_Lo

First Take: Virginia had him lined up all over the place. He was the deep center field in their cover 3 scheme, lined up as the safety on the strong side, and then played inside linebacker on the weak side. First thing that sticks out for me is Thornhill isn't much of a form tackler and does not drop his hips and hands on tackles, he ducks his head and is happy to get his body in the way of the ball carrier. His combine was pretty good and probably gets him more mention in the top three rounds than his play does. His coverage skills are pretty good, especially in man to man scenarios. He comes to the safety position via cornerback so that should explain his coverage ability. Virginia asked a lot of him to play inside the box and read blocks from the offensive linemen, there were times he was bailing into coverage on a run play. I think his draft prospects are high because of his potential at the next level, but he hasn't fully understood how to play the safety position

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Day 17
Johnathan Abram S, Mississippi St.
Films: Mississippi, Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7vqde2zgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HIEdgcXnQ8

First Take: I like how aggressive Abram is, and the angles of pursuit that he takes towards the football. He isn't going to offer the best match up against slots that can fly, but he will be a quality cover guy against tight ends, backs, and in zone coverage. Miss St liked to keep him around the line of scrimmage blitzing him close to 10 times against Ole' Miss. The used him almost like an outside linebacker in their blitz scheme. Abram is an active tackler and has a really high running engine. My biggest concern for him is that he doesn't have the greatest recognition time in coverage, he either needs to play in space or man against TEs.

SudsMcBucky
04-08-2019, 11:29 AM
One WR I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack taking, if they're doing this in the mid rounds, is Andy Isabella out of UMass. If we're looking for a slot guy with speed to burn to stretch the field, this would be a great pick. Ran a 4.31 at the combine. He's not tall, but he's extremely productive and lightning fast.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Day 17

Deionte Thompson S, Alabama
Films: Georgia, Ole' Miss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TU_4IkHa3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_TXB-2g1E

First Take: For a player that had talk that he was going to be a top twenty pick I can see why Thompson's stock has dropped. He reads pass and run really well and comes up quickly for run support, but he ducks his head and bends at the back and not the knees when tackling. He is on the ground way too much diving at legs. His coverage skills are adequate just not impressive. On deep balls it seems that he is late getting over to play the ball.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Day 17

Darnell Savage Jr S, Maryland
Films: Temple, Ohio St.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Yf7vib9lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eaa4osa_00

First Take: Savage plays down hill in the run game and usually uses good technique when tackling. Savage plays good team defense in the run game understands his run fit. Bolstered by a sub 4.4 forty at the combine teams have opened their eyes at the possibilities Savage brings to a defense. He has the speed to run with a speedy slot or to play center field and break late on routes over the top. He has really good field vision and instincts. His big draw back is his size. listed under 6'0" and less than 200 pounds could be an issue in the NFL for a safety. Hopefully he can add weight but keep his speed in the NFL. He is a day two pick, but that could mean the second or third round.

mraynrand
04-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Really nice work Nutz. Lot to take in but interesting. Thanks.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Day 17

Andre Dillard T, Washington St.
Film: Washington, Arizona (Left Tackle #60)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcK984MtYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UlVNi5rIms

First Take: Dillard is a natural pass blocker with great feet. I would call him a technician in the pass blocking department. I have no real issues, sure sometimes he lunges out, but there was a reason for it. He had help from the running back and it could have been RPO. My concerns with Dillard come in the run game. Washington State is not known for its running attack, and the time spent on running blocking shows up on film. He doesn't drive aggressively, he chooses to be more of a wall, cutting off defenders rather than opening up holes. When he does block down field he stops his feet on contact. Any QB in the league would like to have him in camp though, because for the most part he will keep edge rushers at bay. He will go in the top 25 picks in this draft. Dillard would not be a bad option at 12.

RashanGary
04-08-2019, 03:44 PM
I appreciate the write ups, nutz!

RashanGary
04-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Savage looks interesting. Amos is our, in the box guy. We need a true deep safety that can play single deep. His job will be his range, not having to come up and tackle like a linebacker.
The

gbgary
04-08-2019, 05:03 PM
IS DRAFT DAY EVER GOING TO GET HERE?

https://media.giphy.com/media/96X6Pjaquq7cI/giphy.gif

gbgary
04-08-2019, 05:09 PM
"There's another guy really interested in the car at this price. He's coming by in a couple of hours, so now's the time to make your move - if you want the car, that is. Sure is a nice car."

http://hmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/usedcars-e1469397746712-620x350.jpg

mraynrand
04-08-2019, 07:48 PM
^^^ Love the tie/jacket combo

https://cdn.quotesgram.com/small/88/64/1488248199-Chris-Farley-as-Matt-Foley-YahooVid-Screenshot.jpg

RashanGary
04-09-2019, 02:03 AM
Nutz, would ya take a look at winnovich. I’m curious what you think on that dude. He had some success and has some athletic ability.

Fritz
04-09-2019, 05:46 AM
Nutz is like our Bill Belichek. We're all getting caught up in the outside drama of He said/they said, but Nutz just keeps watching film in his wife beater and sweats, doggedly looking for the right players to take this team to the next level. He is single-handedly keeping us focused on success on the field.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Nutz, would ya take a look at winnovich. I’m curious what you think on that dude. He had some success and has some athletic ability.

I just don't know how you would play him in the scheme. Like a lot of these edge rushers they are mostly undersized defensive ends, that will for the most part struggle to play in space. Because if they could play in space they would have in college.

That being said Winnovich has a heck of a motor and great attitude towards the game of football. Typical Pittsburgh kid. His combine may have gotten him within the first three rounds of the draft, where before the combine he was looking like a day 3 kid. Seems very Aaron Kampman like to me, nice undersized defensive end that will continue to grow into his position but just lacks the ability to play in a two point stance. I am not even sure it has anything to do with his athleticism.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Nutz is like our Bill Belichek. We're all getting caught up in the outside drama of He said/they said, but Nutz just keeps watching film in his wife beater and sweats, doggedly looking for the right players to take this team to the next level. He is single-handedly keeping us focused on success on the field.

This is awesome!

mraynrand
04-09-2019, 09:05 AM
First Take: Dillard is a natural pass blocker with great feet. I would call him a technician in the pass blocking department. I have no real issues, sure sometimes he lunges out, but there was a reason for it. He had help from the running back and it could have been RPO. My concerns with Dillard come in the run game. Washington State is not known for its running attack, and the time spent on running blocking shows up on film. He doesn't drive aggressively, he chooses to be more of a wall, cutting off defenders rather than opening up holes. When he does block down field he stops his feet on contact. Any QB in the league would like to have him in camp though, because for the most part he will keep edge rushers at bay. He will go in the top 25 picks in this draft. Dillard would not be a bad option at 12.

Will this iteration of the Packers be run-heavy as some have suggested? If so, how could they take this guy? Unless the run-thing is less of a thing.... With this guy and Madison in there, you'd have the right side taken care of - at least on passing downs!

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Madison has a lot to prove in the NFL. You are talking about a late round pick verse a potential top 20 pick in the draft. For the offensive line just having bodies hasn't been very successful for this offense. There some great edge rushers in the North Division that come from both sides. Bulaga should probably retire as his legs are shot, the Packers need a competent piece at right tackle. I am also sick of hearing about the new zone scheme being brought in, almost every team in the NFL runs zone blocking concepts and if linemen can't block zone principles they shouldn't be in the NFL.

This particular draft has some interesting pockets of offensive linemen. Several really good centers and a few really good guards. There are no elite tackles, but at least 3 of them if not 5 will go in the first round, and then the quality all sorts of melds together.

I will put out a couple of breakdowns of offensive linemen today or tomorrow.

pbmax
04-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Will this iteration of the Packers be run-heavy as some have suggested? If so, how could they take this guy? Unless the run-thing is less of a thing.... With this guy and Madison in there, you'd have the right side taken care of - at least on passing downs!

If they truly run outside zone most of the time, then agile and athletic types will still get a shot. I remember watching old Tauscher and Clifton trying to get cutoff blocks and just not being able to get there. Tauscher especially didn't have that burst.

That to me is the great question about this years offense: will they truly try to run more and will it be successful? Even with reinforcements, the line is no sure thing.

Fritz
04-09-2019, 11:55 AM
I just don't know how you would play him in the scheme. Like a lot of these edge rushers they are mostly undersized defensive ends, that will for the most part struggle to play in space. Because if they could play in space they would have in college.

That being said Winnovich has a heck of a motor and great attitude towards the game of football. Typical Pittsburgh kid. His combine may have gotten him within the first three rounds of the draft, where before the combine he was looking like a day 3 kid. Seems very Aaron Kampman like to me, nice undersized defensive end that will continue to grow into his position but just lacks the ability to play in a two point stance. I am not even sure it has anything to do with his athleticism.

Not sure I agree with that assessment, though I don't watch much college ball, so I might be off. To me, the college players are mostly a little smaller, so a guy who's 265 can play defensive end in college, easily, but that hardly flies in the NFL any more for defensive end - thus you end up with all these too-light-for-the-NFL defensive linemen who must learn to play OLB. I wonder if Winovich could make that transition. I know that it doesn't happen successfully terrible often, but he's certainly got the drive.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Day 18

Max Sharping OL, Northern Illinois
Film: Utah, San Diego St. #73 LT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7tHIRYtCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlDJi2reE0o

First take: Sharping is a Green Bay kid, and left the state to play his ball down in Northern Illinois. He played left tackle in college but projects more as a right tackle. Reminds me of Brian Bulaga in a way. Solid built kid, not overly athletic, but gets the job done. He understands how to play offensive line and how to move his body in the blocking concepts. He has a nice kick start off the snap and gets into his pass blocking set right away with his hands ready to strike. He wins a lot with his set up. When he gets beat it is because he allows his weight to shift to his outside leg and he gets whipped on the double move back to the inside. Sharping does a good job at keeping his chest and hips square to the defender in the pass game and in the run game. Sharping could go any where from late second round to mid fourth round. I think he is one of the mid round sleepers in this draft that teams are just waiting on to pull the trigger to draft.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Day 18

Mike Edwards S, Kentucky
Film: Texas A&M, Tennessee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-0ljrNXHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIwK3I5yNg0

First Take: With more teams playing a 3-3 look and bringing in a safety to play the nickel you open up guys like Edwards to play all over the field. Over half of his film he is over the slot no matter what the down is. He is playing more like a conventional 3-4 outside linebacker, in a two high safety look. His film is not as impressive as some of the other safeties, and his work out numbers are good but not great, and sometimes you see that on film. He is a willing tackler but he wants to slide down and grab legs. His Tennessee film is bad. He was asked to play more coverage and he looked lost in the first half. They backed him off in the second half and gave him a little more room to read routes. He seems to do a nice job diagnosing RPO, and getting to his coverage responsibilities around the box area, but I am not sure if he can be a true centerfield. Edwards is a mid round pick that might be a diamond in the rough especially if he works on his technique. His back peddle wasn't very good, looks like he has heavy feet.

gbgary
04-09-2019, 12:47 PM
^^^ Love the tie/jacket combo

kurt russell..."used cars"...funny movie.

bobblehead
04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
If they truly run outside zone most of the time, then agile and athletic types will still get a shot. I remember watching old Tauscher and Clifton trying to get cutoff blocks and just not being able to get there. Tauscher especially didn't have that burst.

That to me is the great question about this years offense: will they truly try to run more and will it be successful? Even with reinforcements, the line is no sure thing.

And yet we still ran more effectively using that scheme than any since. MM is a tool who abandoned what he knew was the most effective blocking system in the league. He also refused to practice it properly. I can't wait to see what happens to our injury situation with a new regimen.

pbmax
04-10-2019, 12:36 PM
And yet we still ran more effectively using that scheme than any since. MM is a tool who abandoned what he knew was the most effective blocking system in the league. He also refused to practice it properly. I can't wait to see what happens to our injury situation with a new regimen.

He never stopped running zone, but its been a mixed bag of stuff. They put Power O back in and Sitton and Lang were good with it. Though even Lang wasn't quite Wahle on a pull block.

RashanGary
04-10-2019, 08:48 PM

I don’t know if that’s necessarily the case. The average nfl ol is 6’5” 312. The average division I-A college lineman is 6’4” 298. I-AA is 276 pounds so you see even smaller DEs. I don’t think it’s that they couldn’t play in space. I think in college that was just his best position. It’s a different game. In the NFL it will be a different fit. Tweener college ends often times end up 3-4 lbs in the NFL.

RashanGary
04-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Guys elite in space play 4-3lb or ILB in 3-4
Guys who are tweeters usually play de in college and 3-4 olb in nfl.
Guys who are better on the line and bad in space play 4-3 DE

But what they played in college doesn’t mean they’ll play that in NFL. It’s just a different game. Different body types. Different in so many ways

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2019, 08:10 AM
We have seen it in Green Bay where college defensive ends struggle to make the transition to outside linebacker. Nick Perry never really panned out as an outside linebacker, he got paid off of one season. Datone Jones failed miserably, and he could just have been a terrible draft pick. It is not as easy as you think to make the transition from a 5 tech or a wide 9 end to a stand up linebacker even though they might be rushing the passer 75% of the time. The get off is completely different, the timing is different, and the position of attack is different. We see through the lens as a pass rusher when looking at these transition ends, but the real truth is how they can play the run as an OLB. Again very different technique.

It's not impossible, but to think it will happen over night is ridiculous.

pbmax
04-11-2019, 08:41 AM
We have seen it in Green Bay where college defensive ends struggle to make the transition to outside linebacker. Nick Perry never really panned out as an outside linebacker, he got paid off of one season. Datone Jones failed miserably, and he could just have been a terrible draft pick. It is not as easy as you think to make the transition from a 5 tech or a wide 9 end to a stand up linebacker even though they might be rushing the passer 75% of the time. The get off is completely different, the timing is different, and the position of attack is different. We see through the lens as a pass rusher when looking at these transition ends, but the real truth is how they can play the run as an OLB. Again very different technique.

It's not impossible, but to think it will happen over night is ridiculous.

Perry got very good against the run. His pass rush didn't take off though. If he had availability, maybe those numbers all look different, but he couldn't dominate even when he was in the game. So his best feature was ruined by his worst feature.

I suppose you have to get lucky to get two 3-4 EDGE/OLB who can do it all. But the combo of Perry's unavailability and the cliff edge of Matthews effectiveness rendered the pass rush invisible eventually.

bobblehead
04-11-2019, 09:13 AM
He never stopped running zone, but its been a mixed bag of stuff. They put Power O back in and Sitton and Lang were good with it. Though even Lang wasn't quite Wahle on a pull block.

They didn't run the stretch zone in years. And as you point out...they ran multiple schemes with limited practice. What could go wrong??

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2019, 09:35 AM
12: R1P12
LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN

30: R1P30
DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

44: R2P12
S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON
FLORIDA

75: R3P11
TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA

114: R4P12
OT MAX SCHARPING
N. ILLINOIS

118: R4P16
CB KRIS BOYD
TEXAS

150: R5P12
G MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON

185: R6P12
WR JALEN HURD
BAYLOR

194: R6P21
S WILL HARRIS
BOSTON COLLEGE

226: R7P12
LB RYAN CONNELLY
WISCONSIN

This draft was pretty crazy. I wasn't excited to take Bush this high but some times the board just dictates the pick. Lawrence is a big run stuffer, that can generate some pressure up the middle. I didn't want to wait on a safety and got Johnson in the second. I think he has the most to offer in terms of coverage. Getting Irv Smith in round 3 was a huge get, I have done about 100 of these and I have only gotten one of the top three tight ends in the 3rd round twice. Picking up Sharping in the 4th is also pretty good news, as he has been moving up draft boards. He will help at guard or right tackle. Kris Boyd was maybe a pick I would like to take back after watching film on him, but it was the fourth round. Another lineman in round 5. Round six a guy a lot of people like but his lack of experience at the position may drop him in the draft is Jaylen Hurd. Tall receiver with some speed and hops. Don't like the school or offense he played in though. I took another safety in round 6 as well, Harris could be a potential starter in the NFL. He has good size and combine numbers and he wasn't all that bad on film. Getting Connelly in the 7th was a great value pick. I think he adds depth to a depleted ILB group, or he could bounce outside.

Fritz
04-11-2019, 11:43 AM
LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

FLORIDA

TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA

OT MAX SCHARPING
N. ILLINOIS

CB KRIS BOYD
TEXAS

G MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON

WR JALEN HURD
BAYLOR

S WILL HARRIS
BOSTON COLLEGE

LB RYAN CONNELLY
WISCONSIN

This draft was pretty crazy. I wasn't excited to take Bush this high but some times the board just dictates the pick. Lawrence is a big run stuffer, that can generate some pressure up the middle. I didn't want to wait on a safety and got Johnson in the second. I think he has the most to offer in terms of coverage. Getting Irv Smith in round 3 was a huge get, I have done about 100 of these and I have only gotten one of the top three tight ends in the 3rd round twice. Picking up Sharping in the 4th is also pretty good news, as he has been moving up draft boards. He will help at guard or right tackle. Kris Boyd was maybe a pick I would like to take back after watching film on him, but it was the fourth round. Another lineman in round 5. Round six a guy a lot of people like but his lack of experience at the position may drop him in the draft is Jaylen Hurd. Tall receiver with some speed and hops. Don't like the school or offense he played in though. I took another safety in round 6 as well, Harris could be a potential starter in the NFL. He has good size and combine numbers and he wasn't all that bad on film. Getting Connelly in the 7th was a great value pick. I think he adds depth to a depleted ILB group, or he could bounce outside.

So how does this work, Nutz? You get together with a bunch of other people representing other teams, and you just take turns picking, no trades allowed?

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2019, 11:46 AM
https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Simulation. You choose your team, and the computer picks the rest based on team need, and player rankings. You can choose twenty different rankings.

RashanGary
04-11-2019, 01:11 PM
I definitely see what you’re saying with those two. Everyone knew coming out both were more or less 4-3 DEs. Thompson was weird with having no consideration for scheme. He just drafted whoever and expected the coaches to figure it out.

There are better types than that to convert. But I definitely see your point and will scale back the optimism that a guy can just switch smooth like butter. I definitely was leaning a little bit on the side of blind optimism there. I’m not coming all of the way back, but about half way.

texaspackerbacker
04-11-2019, 02:50 PM
LB DEVIN BUSH
MICHIGAN

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

FLORIDA

TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA

OT MAX SCHARPING
N. ILLINOIS

CB KRIS BOYD
TEXAS

G MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON

WR JALEN HURD
BAYLOR

S WILL HARRIS
BOSTON COLLEGE

LB RYAN CONNELLY
WISCONSIN

I like it. In general, I wouldn't pick a D Lineman that early or a WR at all, but Lawrence is a helluva good player to get at #30 - assuming character and attitude don't get in the way. And Hurd would be a real bargain pick at that point of the draft. And I STILL want a Kicker somewhere around the 5th or 6th round.

I doubt we are fortunate enough in the real draft to have things go this way, though.

wist43
04-11-2019, 07:04 PM
https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Simulation. You choose your team, and the computer picks the rest based on team need, and player rankings. You can choose twenty different rankings.

I draft on fanspeak for shits and giggles... but to compare apples to apples, you have to draft off of the same settings Those rankings are wildly different, and some haven't been updated since February.

Pick some settings, and we can all give it a shot, and compare notes.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 09:24 AM
I usually go with Fanspeak's Steve, or CBS. I don't mess with any of the other ones. I could get Bush late in the first round or even in the second round like two weeks ago, no forget it. So they do a nice job of making it somewhat realistic. Same can be said for David Long CB from Michigan. I like the guy a lot in the middle rounds, a month ago I could get him in the 6th round, not as likely any more.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Day 19

Jalen Hurd WR, Baylor
Film: Oklahoma St., Oklahoma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVlOXyR4BA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rn93ZfraG4

First Take: Hurd started off his career as a 4 star prospect from Tennessee. He went to Tennessee where he was a running back for 3 years and then transfered to Baylor. Baylor used him both as a receiver and a running back. Hurd is talented kid to play running back at 6-5, and play receiver. He has good hands, did not drop a ball in the two films that I watched. He seems to run quality routes, and figures out how to break the defensive zone. He did suffer a knee injury and did not work out in the combine. On of the announcer mentioned he had 4.4 speed, but to be honest he doesn't look like a 4.4 kid. He looks closer to a 4.6. My biggest negative take away is that his blocking is sub par at receiver. He will need to improve on it if he ever plans on being more than a sub package player. Hurd offers a lot in the way of position. A creative offensive coordinator will love having Hurd as part of his offense.

Smidgeon
04-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Did you already do Hakeem Butler, WR from ISU?

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 12:33 PM
No

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Day 19

Hakeem Butler WR, Iowa St.
Film: Texas, Iowa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNhjE-2J7cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjaGRhg9Oy0

First Take: Butler is a big long kid and offers a nice target for his QB. He has huge hands. Butler is always a guy you can throw the ball at because of his size and body control. He will make the back shoulder catch and go after passes at the high point. Butler is an aggressive down field blocker that squares up on defenders. Blocking is always a plus when drafting young receivers. My issues with Bulter are his routes. His routes are sloppy, and unpolished. His take off from the snap is very slow. There is a lot to work with Butler, but he needs improvement in key areas before he will contribute consistently as a pro. He is a day 2 kid.

SudsMcBucky
04-12-2019, 01:04 PM
One WR I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack taking, if they're doing this in the mid rounds, is Andy Isabella out of UMass. If we're looking for a slot guy with speed to burn to stretch the field, this would be a great pick. Ran a 4.31 at the combine. He's not tall, but he's extremely productive and lightning fast.

Nutz, if you're taking requests, I wouldn't mind seeing your mid-round write-up on this guy. What you think?

Smidgeon
04-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Day 19

Hakeem Butler WR, Iowa St.
Film: Texas, Iowa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNhjE-2J7cg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjaGRhg9Oy0

First Take: Butler is a big long kid and offers a nice target for his QB. He has huge hands. Butler is always a guy you can throw the ball at because of his size and body control. He will make the back shoulder catch and go after passes at the high point. Butler is an aggressive down field blocker that squares up on defenders. Blocking is always a plus when drafting young receivers. My issues with Bulter are his routes. His routes are sloppy, and unpolished. His take off from the snap is very slow. There is a lot to work with Butler, but he needs improvement in key areas before he will contribute consistently as a pro. He is a day 2 kid.

Thanks. I was curious since I'd seen his name mentioned in a couple of mock drafts in R1, but I couldn't figure out why I didn't like it. "Big and strong but poor routes" sounds like it hits the nail on the head.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Day 19

Shareef Miller Edge, Penn St.
Film: Maryland,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzSupKHvvK8

First Take: I could only watch one film of him. I wasn't impressed. Miller is very stiff through the hips and torso, has a very difficult time changing directions. He struggles to get off blocks, much less beat offensive linemen to the point of attack. His lack of hand usage is also a warning flag. He has good size and tested above average, but he isn't athletic enough to be an impact player at least early in his career. I am high lighting this guy because NFL.com has him ranked in the top 10 of edge rushers, not including Bosa and Ferrell. The available edge rushers that will have a chance to make an impact during their rookie year will be limited in this draft. There are about 8-10 guys that will have the ability to contribute consistently.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Day 19

Andy Isabella WR, Umass
Film: Boston College, USF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvI0OYXapU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_IsjQlobo

First Take: Obviously the kid is fast, I mean fast on a whole other level of speed. Not just fast but his feet are extremely quick. When they talk about a scat back this is who they are referring to. He has really good hands, catches the ball well in traffic. His footwork is almost violent. Isabella is a good football player that will find a niche with an NFL team, cough cough New England. He fits the mold of the Wes Welkker types, and Julian Edlemanns of the NFL. If he gets in the right offense he could catch 70 passes a season. He would be an open field nightmare in the NFL. Issues, first and foremost he is tiny. He will have to play slot and only slot unless team put him out on the numbers to run jailbreak screen to him. He will get engulfed by the bigger defensive backs with long arms. He won't be much use for the long ball unless he outruns the defensive back, his height alone will be to great of a mismatch for him. Teams won't look past his speed, but he will get stereotyped because of playing at a small school, and his size. Who knows exactly where he will fall with the draft and the strong class of receivers, but he could easily be a third round pick. I would rather have Isabella in the third round than Marquise Brown in the 1st or 2nd round.

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 10:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lce3iVCrRoY

Joemailman
04-13-2019, 05:41 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/13/draft-analysts-hearing-buzz-around-packers-wr-d-k-metcalf/

Could the Green Bay Packers have their eyes locked on one of the 2019 draft’s most polarizing prospects?

Ole Miss wide receiver D.K. Metcalf appears to be high on the Packers’ draft board – at least, according to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller and ESPN’s Mel Kiper.

In Miller’s latest scouting notebook, Metcalf was mentioned as a favorite to land with the Packers or Buffalo Bills based on what he’s currently hearing.

Miller said no league sources he’s spoken with have disregarded the rumors.

“Metcalf’s landing spot is one of the most interesting questions regarding this (draft) class,” he later added.

Then there’s Kiper, who released his latest mock draft earlier this week. Kiper is known for projecting players to teams based on what he’s hearing from league sources rather than how he thinks the board should fall. He had the Packers selecting Metcalf at No. 12 overall in his latest mock, calling him an “out-of-this-world” athlete.

Metcalf, who tested extremely well at the NFL’s Scouting Combine last month, is rated as the No. 1 receiver by many draft analysts and is largely considered a bonafide top-10 talent. Others have him pegged as a late first-rounder or early second-rounder.

Metcalf’s 40-time was the biggest news of the entire NFL Scouting Combine. He clocked in at an official time of 4.33 seconds and added a 40.5-inch vertical and 11-foot-2 broad jump, all extraordinary numbers for a 6-foot-3, 228-pound receiver.

On the flipside, Metcalf was extremely underwhelming in the agility drills. His 3-cone drill (7.38 seconds) and short-shuttle time (4.5 seconds) were among the worst at his position.

Metcalf finished last season with 26 receptions for 569 yards and five touchdowns in only seven games. He missed five games due to a neck injury. Metcalf averaged a whopping 21.9 yards per catch.

wist43
04-13-2019, 06:32 PM
I don't think Metcalf is on our radar... not at 12 for sure.

And at 30 I think they're eyeing up NKeal Harry.

Harry will be a better pro IMO.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Day 20

Maequise Blair S, Utah
Film: Washington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qL5_wL0kQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTc8OgQGwA

First Take: Fast to come into the box and support against the run. Blair plays all over the field, deep safety in cover 3, and cover 2. He will also cover the slot, play as an off the ball linebacker. Blair is a tall lanky kid from Juco that has a bunch of ability and good but not great athletic qualities. His biggest issue is that he plays out of control and needs to increase his football understanding. He can cover some ground and has a willingness to hit, but he needs to keep his head up when he tackles and use better form. This is a deep safety class and he makes it deeper. He could be mid round pick with the potential to be a starter down the road, but he needs polish and learn how to play a team concept of defense.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Not sure about DK Metcalf. Seems like a really deep receiver class to draft a guy with question marks that early in the draft.

Deputy Nutz
04-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Day 20

DK Metcalf WR, Ole' Miss
Film: LSU, Texas Tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ta9jNtHxYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMQn2ykm0aI

First Take: Just look at the pictures of Metcalf and you would think a comic book artist's super hero came to life. The guy is an Adonis. As much as there is to like from the combine, the size, the height, the 4.33 speed, the 40" vertical jump. Then their are the numbers that aren't so great. The slow 3 cone test, and 20 yard shuttle. Then there is the film. The film isn't terrible or terrific, the issue with the film is his ability to create space between him and the defensive back. There will only be so many jump balls in a season for him to fight a defensive back for. He works hard, he runs his routes hard, and played with a terrible QB, but for his size and speed there isn't enough separation, it's that simple. He will go high than he should in this draft. Other receivers in this very talented class have better film, and quality workout numbers. Metcalf has sparked the interest of every GM in the NFL. None of them want to wait on the potential of the next Randy Moss but with muscles. I can't blame the GM that takes him.

mraynrand
04-13-2019, 10:54 PM
"Ole Miss wide receiver D.K. Metcalf appears to be high on the Packers’ draft board – at least, according to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller and ESPN’s Mel Kiper."

...and that's when I stopped reading.

Fritz
04-14-2019, 09:17 AM
"Ole Miss wide receiver D.K. Metcalf appears to be high on the Packers’ draft board – at least, according to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller and ESPN’s Mel Kiper."

...and that's when I stopped reading.

I will puke if they take Metcalf at #12, and will still feel sick if they take him at #30.. That dude's got "bust" written all over him.