PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Live Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I think when you get later in the daft there are big clusters of similarly rated guys so you take the need one over the one that you don't need.

I don't think Thompson sways too far from his board. I'm curious what he says after today. If he says "we were true to our board" I'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Don't you think TT will use that cliche regardless ?

GoPackGo
04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Who has been the steal of the draft so far?

brady quinn....the browns stole him from the chiefs!

Packnut
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, bottle empty. Decision time. Should I do a K-Rob and drive to the store? Nah, not sure my Dodge Ram can do 125 mph in case I get pulled over and decide to run! :shock:

Send a booze purchaser

It's only a 4 block walk and I could use some fresh air. Heading out now. Damn, I knew this was gonna be a 2 bottle day...........

Merlin
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Ruvell Martin is the biggest WR on our roster at 6'4" 210. THat's the kind of height we need deep against 6'1" DB's.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Aaron Rouse
Tanard Jackson

I wouldn't be mad with one of them.

Is rouse the big safety from Tech?

Yep.

falco
don't we have another 3rd round pick? its not showing on the list; I thought we got the jets pick.

Spaulding
We have #89

Merlin
04-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Yup we pick in about 15 minutes I would think. Unfortunately I don't see Moss in the picture anymore but I have been wrong many times before.

So far it doesn't appear we have upgraded anything.

Tony Oday
CMON MOSS!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merlin
Well maybe 5 minutes it appears.

Bretsky
Still some nice RB's, Safeties, and TE's out there.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I really don't Bretsky. He says it and I do believe it. He doesn't jsut say it, he gives story's of how he got burned and how it's helped. He drafts a DT when that is almost as solid of position on our team.

I don't think he jsut says it. He's said that if he has 2 gusy that are equal he'll take the need. As you get deeper in the draft I think you have more big clusters so you get more needs met.

Partial
Ok, bottle empty. Decision time. Should I do a K-Rob and drive to the store? Nah, not sure my Dodge Ram can do 125 mph in case I get pulled over and decide to run! :shock:

Send a booze purchaser

It's only a 4 block walk and I could use some fresh air. Heading out now. Damn, I knew this was gonna be a 2 bottle day...........

:lol: :lol: I'll keep you company later. I've got some booze.

Merlin
I agree but at this point they aren't drafting impact players out of the gate, hell we haven't picked up one yet.

Partial
04-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Mad's boy actually looks good as hell in those clips. Seems very skilled at playing the ball in the air. That's exactly what we need, unfortuantely.

chain_gang
Aaron Rouse
Tanard Jackson

Yep.

Good thing about Rouse is he has the frame where he could add some weight and become a LB if Safety doesn't work out for him, but he's a tough hard hitter, a little over aggressive at times, but I'd like to see some of that in our secondary.

Lurker64
Merlin, do you have a suggestion of a mammoth WR who we could have had at that pick or are you just complaining for the sake of complaining? He's about the same size as all of the other WRs taken in the 3rd, so it doesn't seem that unusual.

I'd rather have a medium sized guy who can catch the ball, than a 12 foot guy who doesn't.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 09:42 PM
I could see Trent Edwards here

Merlin
There isn't anyone in the draft I would pick up. We have enough small guys that can catch the ball. Taking another WR when we are deep at small WR is kind of like taking a DL when we are deep at that position.

Charles Woodson
Aaron Rouse
Tanard Jackson

Yep.

Yea wouldnt mind rouse, steve breaston a little bit later or clowney, most of the good RBs are still there, we got a lot to choose from

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 09:43 PM

There's just no pleasing some people....

Merlin
Unfortunately, Ferguson appears to be on the team still and maybe this guy could replace him although Holiday's name keepe getting thrown around as a possible 3rd WR this season. If K-Rob comes back then drafting a WR is a mute issue.

Lurker64
We're up after N.O. picks. I wonder who the hell Thompson is going to take. The remaining need position is TE, but this could be anything.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
OK, let's rock

BallHawk
I agree but at this point they aren't drafting impact players out of the gate, hell we haven't picked up one yet.

Who would you of suggested at #16?

Merlin

There's just no pleasing some people....

Isn't the goal to win? And if the goal is to win, how long do we wait? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years?

Charles Woodson
im feeling a trade here

wist43
Punter???

Partial
04-28-2007, 09:45 PM
trade down, I am feeling it

Merlin

Who would you of suggested at #16?

I would have either taken Quinn and looked to trade him (or trade Rodgers and keep Quinn) or traded down or out of the first round.

Badgerinmaine
Who has been the steal of the draft so far?

brady quinn....the browns stole him from the chiefs!
:lol:
Nice.

Joemailman
Tanard Jackson, Rouse, Pittman top players left on Sporting News Board

BallHawk
There isn't anyone in the draft I would pick up. We have enough small guys that can catch the ball. Taking another WR when we are deep at small WR is kind of like taking a DL when we are deep at that position.

Yeah, depth like Colin Cole, Kenderick Allen, and Johnny Jolly. Gotta be confident with those guys suting up on Sundays.

wist43
trade down, I am feeling it

I think so too...

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Isn't the goal to win? And if the goal is to win, how long do we wait? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years?

Thus far, everyone we've drafted has a reasonable chance of getting significant playing time this year. What exactly are you looking for? We were 8-8 last year. We don't get to draft Calvin Johnson.

Bretsky
DB's
Rouse
Jackson

RB
Bush
Pittman

TE
Chandler
Patrick

how about one of the above ?

SD GB fan
Tanard Jackson, Rouse, Pittman top players left on Sporting News Board

those dont do really well for TT.

Merlin
And this guy is an upgrade over? He's already has an injury issue and hasn't played.

pittstang5

Yeah, depth like Colin Cole, Kenderick Allen, and Johnny Jolly. Gotta be confident with those guys suting up on Sundays.

And Allen isn't even signed

Tony Oday
04-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Rouse

Lurker64
Packers take Rouse.

BallHawk
It's Rouse.

Bretsky
AARON ROUSE

chain_gang
YESSSSSSSS ROUSE!!!!

wist43
I'm shocked by Rouse...

Partial
Took the big ass rover

Merlin

Thus far, everyone we've drafted has a reasonable chance of getting significant playing time this year. What exactly are you looking for? We were 8-8 last year. We don't get to draft Calvin Johnson.

Who is getting significant playing time? Maybe Johnson. I would be surprised if Harrell cracks the starting line.

Charles Woodson
yay i like rouse

Badgerinmaine
04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Saw this on the Fox Sports site by Pete Fiutak of CollegeFootballNews.com:

78. Green Bay — James Jones, WR San Jose State: With good size and decent production for the Spartans, he's a nice receiver but with little upside. He's not a blazer, not necessarily an NFL return man, and if he's not a number two possession receiver, he'll be erased for long stretches.

I dunno. He's kinda down the same sort of way on just about everyone else in the third round, too.

Charles Woodson
I'm shocked by Rouse...

In a good or bad way?

Bretsky
Aaron Rouse
S | (6'4", 223, 4.58) | VIRGINIA TECH

Scouts Grade: 64
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: A tall, well-built strong safety prospect with exceptional straight-line speed for his size. He has the size potential to match up as an in-the-box strong safety type in the NFL. Fills hard versus the run and flashes some power upon contact as a tackler. He occasionally will make his presence known over the middle in coverage. Shows good closing burst when the ball is in the air. Also displays good ball skills. He has been a durable player throughout his career.

Weaknesses: Former outside linebacker with some athletic limitations. Does he fit as an outside linebacker or strong safety in the NFL? He is high-cut and shows some stiffness in his hips. He has excellent straight-line speed but will struggle to change directions in space. He does not show the quick-twitch athleticism to match up one-on-one versus NFL slot receivers. He must also continue to improve his angles in run support. He can play out of control at times.

Overall: Rouse appeared in all 13 games in 2003 as a true freshman and made 46 total tackles and three tackles for loss. He saw action in all 13 games in 2004, registering 37 total tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss at outside linebacker. Rouse started all 13 contests at strong safety in 2005, finishing the season with 77 total tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, four interceptions, five pass breakups, one fumble recovery, and one forced fumble. In 2006 he appeared in all 13 games, with 10 starts, and recorded 57 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one forced fumble, and one interception.

Rouse possesses an exceptional combination of size and speed, and he showed flashes of playmaking ability at the collegiate level. However, while he has first-round tools, Rouse is an underachiever and a positional misfit from an NFL perspective. He doesn't play the game with enough aggressiveness or toughness to project as a linebacker and he makes too many mistakes in coverage to be trusted as a safety at this point. In our opinion, Rouse is too much of a boom-or-bust prospect to draft any earlier than the third round.

BallHawk

Who is getting significant playing time? Maybe Johnson. I would be surprised if Harrell cracks the starting line.

So you think we drafted Jackson in the 2nd to sit behind Herron and Pope?

Merlin
04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I am surprised Rouse is still there. He will offer some competition at camp. I like Underwoord but he can't stay healthy and Manual is a joke. Who is the other guy, Culver? He looks to be in contention to.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM

Heron is proven so I don't see him getting the nod over him. Over Pope and Beach, yes. I see him getting playing time as whenever we have 3 healthy backs, they all play.

falco
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I would be shocked if Harrell didn't get significant playing time (unless he's injured).

Tony Oday
04-28-2007, 09:51 PM

Heron is proven so I don't see him getting the nod over him. Over Pope and Beach, yes. I see him getting playing time as whenever we have 3 healthy backs, they all play.

You have had too many. Herron will barely make the team.

Lurker64

We run a rotation at DT. Everybody who's good enough to play gets significant downs. Having quality depth at DT results in all of the other tackles playing better as well. You don't have to start to matter.

Charles Woodson
Well i think (except maybe the bears) that the NFC North has had a pretty good draft. Im still in shock that Detroit actually made some smart moves. Minesota comes out with the best draft so far, they have gotten steals for all three people

Bretsky
If Jackson isn't better than Herron right now then it was a bad second round pick. Herron is a pedestrian NFL talent

Partial
Rover. I don't like Rovers and Tweeners unless they are rushing the passer.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I like Underwoord but he can't stay healthy

He played in all 16 games in 2006 and had an unfortunate injury in which he blew out two knee ligaments. Staying healthy isn't a problem with him.

RashanGary
If Jackson isn't better than Herron right now then it was a bad second round pick. Herron is a pedestrian NFL talent

I agree. Herron is junk IMO. He's the RB equivilant to Colin Cole.

Merlin
I would be shocked if Harrell didn't get significant playing time (unless he's injured).

Who is he playing in front of? Most of our DL have experience and they aren't bad by any means. Jolly? I see him getting the nod over Harrell because he was injured last year and showed potential. Maybe as a sub for Picket now and then but significant? Who are we going to sit?

SD GB fan
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LrTzP6MLQis

inspirational story on rouse.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Herron won't make it out of camp.

Partial
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Panthers may have added 4 starters today. Their draft is very, very good.

falco

Who is he playing in front of? Most of our DL have experience and they aren't bad by any means. Jolly? I see him getting the nod over Harrell because he was injured last year and showed potential. Maybe as a sub for Picket now and then but significant? Who are we going to sit?

I think Harrell is an awesome talent. He should be playing most of the snaps. You're absolutely right though; if he's not, TT wasted a pick.

wist43
I'm shocked by Rouse...

In a good or bad way?

He's big and fast, and bigger and faster is better... however, I'm skeptical of this pick.

The Packers have historically preferred ballarina's at Safety... are they drafting him to be an OLB, or an in the box safety??? The Packers play their safties over the top, or match them up one on one in coverage much more often than they ask them to play in the box.

Weird pick for the Packers, IMO.

Tony Oday
04-28-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm shocked by Rouse...

In a good or bad way?

He's big and fast, and bigger and faster is better... however, I'm skeptical of this pick.

The Packers have historically preferred ballarina's at Safety... are they drafting him to be an OLB, or an in the box safety??? The Packers play their safties over the top, or match them up one on one in coverage much more often than they ask them to play in the box.

lol maybe thats why we picked him to break the mold :) I cant WAIT to see him lining up on the blitz package ala Butler and breaking Tavaris Jackson in half :)

Partial
I'm shocked by Rouse...

In a good or bad way?

Agreed. I figured they'd trade down and add a 4th or 5th.

Merlin
I like Underwoord but he can't stay healthy

He played in all 16 games in 2006 and had an unfortunate injury in which he blew out two knee ligaments. Staying healthy isn't a problem with him.

I think you are thinking 2005. He didn't play in 2006, he was injured. He was also nicked up in 2005 and played in a limited role.

BallHawk
Trent Edwards to the Bills.

Tony Oday
How about this trade for Moss. Chad Clifton and a 7th...

wist43
Very, very, very underwhelming draft.

Big bunch of "so what".

Tony Oday
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM

Big bunch of "so what".

lol Wist you would say this if the Pack won the super bowl ;) j/k

green_bowl_packer
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
what's the ammo for Moss now? Or do we wait for the cut?

Merlin
I love how fans forget what a player has contributed. Heron has done what? Stepped up every time we asked him to, that's all. Pedestrian, maybe. Johnson hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL and you think he's automatically better. Nice logic.

Bretsky

no; we're keeping our OL. Clifton will still be solid

MadtownPacker

Big bunch of "so what".

lol Wist you would say this if the Pack won the super bowl ;) j/kHahaha! You know he would!!!!

Joemailman
04-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm shocked by Rouse...

In a good or bad way?

Agreed. I figured they'd trade down and add a 4th or 5th.

They already have 7 picks tomorrow. If TT trades tomorrow, it will be up, not down.

HarveyWallbangers
I liked Harrell coming into the draft, but I was surprised we drafted him. I was big on Brandon Jackson. I also liked Aaron Rouse. I can't say that I'm thrilled with where we got the guys, but they are three guys that I researched and I had bumped all three higher in my rankings most of the "experts" had them. I feel good about that.
:D

My initial thoughts on James Jones are not very positive.

MY DT RANKINGS

1. AMOBI OKOYE
2. JUSTIN HARRELL (most had him 3rd)
3. ALAN BRANCH
4. QUINN PITCOCK
5. BRANDON MEBANE
6. DEMARCUS TYLER
7. MARCUS THOMAS
8. RAY McDONALD
9. TURK McBRIDE
10. KAREEM BROWN
11. DEREK LANDRI
12. ANTONIO JOHNSON
MY RB RANKINGS

1. ADRIAN PETERSON
2. MARSHAWN LYNCH
3. ANTONIO PITTMAN
4. KENNY IRONS
5. BRIAN LEONARD
6. BRANDON JACKSON (higher than most)
7. DARIUS WALKER
8. TONY HUNT
9. MICHAEL BUSH
10. KOLBY SMITH
11. CHRIS HENRY
12. DESHAWN WYNN
13. LORENZO BOOKER

MY S RANKINGS

1. LARON LANDRY
2. REGGIE NELSON
3. MICHAEL GRIFFIN
4. ERIC WEDDLE
5. BRANDON MERIWEATHER
6. AARON ROUSE (higher than most)
7. TANARD JACKSON
8. SABBY PISCITELLI
9. JOSH GATTIS
10. JOHN WENDLING

Outside of James Jones, I might be the only guy kind of happy with this draft. I wish we got somebody other than James Jones. Randy Moss would have been better.

Merlin
You would think the ZBS would be better for our aging tackles because they don't pull as much or if all so their limited mobility as they age you would think wouldn't be an issue?

Tony Oday

no; we're keeping our OL. Clifton will still be solid

Hey I love clifton but he seems to be breaking down and I think the guys on the OL can take over for him.

Bretsky
I love how fans forget what a player has contributed. Heron has done what? Stepped up every time we asked him to, that's all. Pedestrian, maybe. Johnson hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL and you think he's automatically better. Nice logic.

one game. he's the standard just a guy. If a 2nd rounder is not better than it was a very bad pick.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
That was a nice story on Rouse on youtube. Thompson sure seems to bring in guys who are gratefull to be there and hard workers. It's nice. Oh yeah, they're tough football players too.

The Leaper

Big bunch of "so what".

This makes me feel great. You said the same thing last year Wist...and the draft turned out to be a pretty good one.

Lurker64
They already have 7 picks tomorrow. If TT trades tomorrow, it will be up, not down.

We have six. One fourth, one fifth, two sixths, and two sevenths.

mission2
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
bring mom in to cook, add 15 pounds and play rouse at OLB...

im sorry, i have this ahmad carroll-ish despise for poppinga for some reason

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I liked Harrell coming into the draft, but I was surprised we drafted him. I was big on Brandon Jackson. I also liked Aaron Rouse. I can't say that I'm thrilled with where we got the guys, but they are three guys that I researched and I had bumped all three higher in my rankings most of the "experts" had them. I feel good about that.
:D

My initial thoughts on James Jones are not very positive.

MY DT RANKINGS

1. AMOBI OKOYE
3. ALAN BRANCH
4. QUINN PITCOCK
5. BRANDON MEBANE
6. DEMARCUS TYLER
7. MARCUS THOMAS
8. RAY McDONALD
9. TURK McBRIDE
10. KAREEM BROWN
11. DEREK LANDRI
12. ANTONIO JOHNSON
MY RB RANKINGS

1. ADRIAN PETERSON
2. MARSHAWN LYNCH
3. ANTONIO PITTMAN
4. KENNY IRONS
5. BRIAN LEONARD
6. BRANDON JACKSON (higher than most)
7. DARIUS WALKER
8. TONY HUNT
9. MICHAEL BUSH
10. KOLBY SMITH
11. CHRIS HENRY
12. DESHAWN WYNN
13. LORENZO BOOKER

MY S RANKINGS

1. LARON LANDRY
2. REGGIE NELSON
3. MICHAEL GRIFFIN
4. ERIC WEDDLE
5. BRANDON MERIWEATHER
6. AARON ROUSE (higher than most)
7. TANARD JACKSON
8. SABBY PISCITELLI
9. JOSH GATTIS
10. JOHN WENDLING

Outside of James Jones, I might be the only guy kind of happy with this draft. I wish we got somebody other than James Jones. Randy Moss would have been better.

I'm "OK" with this draft. But I didn't like the Jones pick either; seemed like the one real reach.

Adding Patrick or Chandler tomorrow might be a good idea as well. And I'd bet TT trades down again at least once.

I think the Patriots are going to end up with Moss

RashanGary
What's the sound?? Do you guys hear it? It's like a buzzing..No wait, it's a horn.

Hey, that's Harvey tooting his own horn :P

ahaha
What happened with that New England pick? They traded to the Raiders, I thought for sure that was a Moss deal. ESPN hasn't said anything about it though.

Packnut
Liquor store had the radio on and I heard someone on the Score make a joke about how Favre got no help. The following sums it up. I expect to see a lot of D's on tomorrow's draft scorecards from around the country.

You have to wonder where Packers coach Mike McCarthy is going to get his scoring from this year.

It's not going to be from wide receiver James Jones, the club's first third-round pick. Jones is clearly someone who won't run by defensive backs and stretch the field. Unless he has the kind of savvy Antonio Freeman had when he came in as a rookie, Jones isn't going to break the lineup.

Not with a 4.6-second, 40-yard dash time.

It's almost as though Thompson is approaching this draft as though he expects Randy Moss to be on his football team. Perhaps that's the case, but if it isn't he's lacking the playmakers that win championships. Needing a lot of help on offense, he has come out of this draft with nothing special.

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said the 207-pound Jones is a big, strong receiver who can run over people, but he couldn't say for sure he was someone who could contribute right away.

"He's a real football player," Philbin said. "He's good after the catch. He has excellent hands. He's a productive player. We thought overall he was a very good player."

Notice Philbin didn't say anything about his speed.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM

one game. he's the standard just a guy. If a 2nd rounder is not better than it was a very bad pick.

Heron has played more then one game. He has shown he can be a good relief back. When you run a scheme of RB by committee, Heron fits that nicely. Johnson was a good pick but just because he was taken in the 2nd round doesn't mean he is automatically better. If that's the logic you are using then isn't Rodgers automatically better then Favre because he was taken in the 1st and Favre in the 2nd? This is just the same argument I have with people last year over Hawk vs. Barnett. I am not going there.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:04 PM
What happened with that New England pick? They traded to the Raiders, I thought for sure that was a Moss deal. ESPN hasn't said anything about it though.\

????

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:04 PM

I was burned at the stake for saying he was a 3rd rounder so you must be mistaken when you say that most had him in the 3rd.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 10:05 PM

I was burned at the stake for saying he was a 3rd rounder so you must be mistaken when you say that most had him in the 3rd.

Most had him as the 3rd best DT PERIOD...

Not 3rd rounder.

Bretsky

Heron has played more then one game. He has shown he can be a good relief back. When you run a scheme of RB by committee, Heron fits that nicely. Johnson was a good pick but just because he was taken in the 2nd round doesn't mean he is automatically better. If that's the logic you are using then isn't Rodgers automatically better then Favre because he was taken in the 1st and Favre in the 2nd? This is just the same argument I have with people last year over Hawk vs. Barnett. I am not going there.

What kind of talent do you really think Herron has ? I can't believe we're even debating this. He looked solid in one game and was undrafted. He doesn't have a lot of ability. This has nothing to do with Rodgers/Favre.....Hawk/Barnett

Noah Herron just isn't that good.

Merlin
Then there aren't very many healthy good DT's this year I am guessing.

Charles Woodson
hmm intersting pick by the bears,

Garrett wolfe

Packnut
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
And another blurb from Silverstein:

You don't take a safety in the third round without thinking he has a chance to play right away.

In Virginia Tech strongman Aaron Rouse, the club has someone faster, stronger and bigger than the fading Manuel. However, Rouse isn't the kind of instinctive player who can take over the position right away.

In fact, it might be a nightmare to have him lined up with Nick Collins, whose poor angles and occassional mental lapses sometimes overshadow his outstanding physical skills. Rouse is a stiff player with good measurables and excellent speed.

General manager Ted Thompson is coming to the media auditorium to address the draft as a whole.

Merlin

What kind of talent do you really think Herron has ? I can't believe we're even debating this. He looked solid in one game and was undrafted. He doesn't have a lot of ability. This has nothing to do with Rodgers/Favre.....Hawk/Barnett

Noah Herron just isn't that good.

And a guy who has never taken a snap in the NFL is? Same argument.

BallHawk
That was a nice story on Rouse on youtube. Thompson sure seems to bring in guys who are gratefull to be there and hard workers. It's nice. Oh yeah, they're tough football players too.

I'm glad that TT is taking high character guys with a good head on their shoulders. Talent only gets you so far.

Lurker64

"Most had him 3rd" as in "Most had him as the 3rd best DT overall."

But the entire NFL seemed to not be that big on Branch, so again the "experts" fail us.

HarveyWallbangers

Most had him as the 3rd best DT PERIOD...

Not 3rd rounder.

Thanks!

falco
04-28-2007, 10:07 PM

I'm glad that TT is taking high character guys with a good head on their shoulders. Talent only gets you so far.

Talent only gets you so far??? I'd say character only gets you so far. Talent is by far more important. (otherwise why would everyone be clamoring for Moss)

ahaha
04-28-2007, 10:08 PM
What happened with that New England pick? They traded to the Raiders, I thought for sure that was a Moss deal. ESPN hasn't said anything about it though.\

????

When New England was on the clock with their 3rd round pick, it came up with a trade update. It then showed Oakland with the pick. They immediately took some guard, right before Trent Edwards was picked. I'm watching ESPN.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:09 PM

Gary and Cliff had several mock writers for CBS Sportsline, etc yesterday, and he was their surprise top 20 pick by more than one guy. If he turns out to be a John Henderson, you'll all be loving TT.

Merlin
I don't know how good these experts are if they think a guy he is injured and out basically the whole 2006 season is the 3rd best in college football. You would think that there would be many players ahead of him because he didn't really play and had a serious injury. Also, it appears that he hasn't even played a full season in college football. So because he is a 1st rounder and now in the NFL he will be healthy and never miss a game and be a monster?

WOW...and you think me saying he was a 3rd round pick was wrong?

BallHawk

Talent only gets you so far??? I'd say character only gets you so far. Talent is by far more important. (otherwise why would everyone be clamoring for Moss)

Talent is obviously more important, but look at the Vicks, the Jones', the Owens', etc. They all have talent, but character gets in their way. Am I saying that all of TT's picks will be Pro-Bowlers because they are good kids? Of course not. However, having good character helps a lot.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:10 PM

"Most had him 3rd" as in "Most had him as the 3rd best DT overall."

But the entire NFL seemed to not be that big on Branch, so again the "experts" fail us.

The experts are going to be wrong, wrong, wrong on Branch. He will thrive in the desert.

LL2
I kind of wished GB would've taken a chance and drafted either Pittman, Trent Edwards, or Michael Bush. Maybe they will tomorrow. Also, didn't most of the "experts" think Edwards was going the be the third qb taken?

ahaha
ESPN's draft number is different than the NFL.com DraftTracker. The draftracker is missing one.

Joemailman
04-28-2007, 10:11 PM

At best, Oakland will get a 4th for Moss. He may be released. I wouldn't call that clamoring.

Merlin
Is Stanton still on the board? A lot of people picked him to be a dark horse.

Merlin

At best, Oakland will get a 4th for Moss. He may be released. I wouldn't call that clamoring.

Have they said what the Raiders gave NE for the pick yet?

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't know how good these experts are if they think a guy he is injured and out basically the whole 2006 season is the 3rd best in college football. You would think that there would be many players ahead of him because he didn't really play and had a serious injury. Also, it appears that he hasn't even played a full season in college football. So because he is a 1st rounder and now in the NFL he will be healthy and never miss a game and be a monster?

WOW...and you think me saying he was a 3rd round pick was wrong?\

Provided he stays healthy I think he becomes the type of great DT we need. Of course, my good pals Hacker and Pschorr may have something to do with this gut feeling.

BallHawk

He was picked in the early 2nd by the Lions.

Guiness

Merlin's back! Are ya stinkin' drunk mate? :P

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Garrett Wolf to the Bears

BallHawk

Have they said what the Raiders gave NE for the pick yet?

Their 7th round pick this year and their 3rd round pick next year.

Merlin

He was picked in the early 2nd by the Lions.

I feel for him. I was hoping he would go late 2nd and be a viable backup to a good veteran QB. Now his career is over :(.

Lurker64
The experts are going to be wrong, wrong, wrong on Branch. He will thrive in the desert.

The "experts" thought Branch was going to be a blue chip prospect. NFL GMs did not, since every single NFL team passed on him. So if the experts are wrong, then he'll do poorly. Which I would expect, since if you're a big fat guy, it seems like it would be harder play in hot conditions.

Partial

Waste of a pick for him. He isn't going to return over Hester. Probably too small for their power running.

ahaha
04-28-2007, 10:14 PM
So, the Raiders got a third round pick from New England, but it wasn't for Moss?

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:14 PM

Merlin's back! Are ya stinkin' drunk mate? :P

No, I went and took apart my riding mower and ordered the parts my kids broke. I figured if I went and got plowed that I would regret it since I am old :).

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 10:15 PM

Waste of a pick for him. He isn't going to return over Hester. Probably too small for their power running.

Are both Pittman and Bush still on the board?

Charles Woodson

yea thought that was an interesting pick

BallHawk

Are both Pittman and Bush still on the board?

Yes.

chain_gang
Day 2 I'd like to see Green Bay take a OT, one I really like is out of N. Illinois, Doug Free. He's a little Tall 6'7" 318, has room to add 10-15 lbs, and not lose any mobility. Can cut and pull, good quickness for a lineman. I think he'd be a good one to develop, if we got him in the fourth or 5th. I thought he'd be long gone by now. He'd be a good insurance policy, in case one of our tackles got injured.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/free_doug

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:16 PM
My thoughts on the first day.

I'm not sold on the Harrell pick. I think he looks to be a solid talent...but he plays the EXACT SAME POSITION as Pickett, who is a reasonably young guy who is coming off a very solid season. He is not a pocket collapsing DT...so are we going to switch our defense now to having two huge run cloggers in the middle? I suppose that could make sense to some extent with the huge money we've tied up in Hawk and Barnett...who need some size in front of them to take advantage of their speed from sideline to sideline. I would have preferred Willis or Nelson at this spot based on who was remaining on the board.

I am sold on the Jackson pick. Between Pittman and Jackson, I think Jackson is the better fit for Green Bay. While I actually like Pittman a little better, IMO he is very similar to Morency...who I also like. Jackson will be a more powerful runner who can become a threat in short yardage situations. I think the duo of Morency and Jackson has a chance to be very effective in Green Bay.

Jones at WR was a sleeper pick who represents good value...but this is NOT the kind of guy who is going to solve our offensive woes. To me, he is the eventual replacement for Driver in 2-3 years. The guy reminds me a lot of Driver...great heart, fearless over the middle, quickness in short spurts to create separation.

I also like the Rouse pick. Athletically, the guy is a beast. He's big...he's pretty fast for his size. He has reasonable intelligence. In the third round, he's a reasonable pick at safety in terms of providing immediate depth in case some of our questions there do not pan out.

Right now...I give Thompson a B- on the first day. He's filled some holes in a couple areas, but he hasn't filled the massive lack of playmakers on offense outside of Driver. Thompson HAS to feel that he has an inside track on grabbing Randy Moss for a reasonable value...otherwise, I would think he more aggressively goes for a receiver in the 2nd round.

In hindsight, losing to the Bears in the final week would've helped this team a lot going forward. An additional 3-5 spots really could've helped us in this draft.

BallHawk
So, the Raiders got a third round pick from New England, but it wasn't for Moss?

Yup.

BallHawk

The "experts" thought Branch was going to be a blue chip prospect. NFL GMs did not, since every single NFL team passed on him. So if the experts are wrong, then he'll do poorly. Which I would expect, since if you're a big fat guy, it seems like it would be harder play in hot conditions.

Good point, Lurk, I hadn't thought of that. They're gonna have to get him a lot of water during training camp.

Merlin
Pittman I can see still on the board but Bush looked like he might have some potential. And before anyone talks about injuries affecting him being picked, remember who we picked in the first round.

Partial

In the words of former Packer and Badger Gary Ellerson, "Quit smoking crack".

He isn't a big fat guy. He is built. He will be an absolutely crushing run stuffer. His entire job should be to neutralize two blockers. He will be one of the premiere run stuffers in the league.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Hmm, intersting So Oakland has traded for Williams, and just picked Johnnie Lee Higgins.. Id say there preparing

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm not sold on the Harrell pick. I think he looks to be a solid talent...but he plays the EXACT SAME POSITION as Pickett, who is a reasonably young guy who is coming off a very solid season. He is not a pocket collapsing DT...so are we going to switch our defense now to having two huge run cloggers in the middle? I suppose that could make sense to some extent with the huge money we've tied up in Hawk and Barnett...who need some size in front of them to take advantage of their speed from sideline to sideline. I would have preferred Willis or Nelson at this spot based on who was remaining on the board.

I am sold on the Jackson pick. Between Pittman and Jackson, I think Jackson is the better fit for Green Bay. While I actually like Pittman a little better, IMO he is very similar to Morency...who I also like. Jackson will be a more powerful runner who can become a threat in short yardage situations. I think the duo of Morency and Jackson has a chance to be very effective in Green Bay.

Jones at WR was a sleeper pick who represents good value...but this is NOT the kind of guy who is going to solve our offensive woes. To me, he is the eventual replacement for Driver in 2-3 years. The guy reminds me a lot of Driver...great heart, fearless over the middle, quickness in short spurts to create separation.

I also like the Rouse pick. Athletically, the guy is a beast. He's big...he's pretty fast for his size. He has reasonable intelligence. In the third round, he's a reasonable pick at safety in terms of providing immediate depth in case some of our questions there do not pan out.

Right now...I give Thompson a B- on the first day. He's filled some holes in a couple areas, but he hasn't filled the massive lack of playmakers on offense outside of Driver. Thompson HAS to feel that he has an inside track on grabbing Randy Moss for a reasonable value...otherwise, I would think he more aggressively goes for a receiver in the 2nd round.

I wish I had you for a teacher :). I would rate TT a C- because we did not go BPA #1.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 10:18 PM
He's not an incredible athlete and not near the prospect that a guy like Peterson is, but take a look at Brandon Jackson's highlight video.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb;_ylt=ApXKuqtOLeeqXWieXPFMdIRDubYF

His running style looks a lot like Edgerrin James to me. (I'm not saying he'll be that good, but his running style looks like Edge.)

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:20 PM

I wish I had you for a teacher :). I would rate TT a C- because we did not go BPA #1.

????

How did he not go BPA? Otherwise why would they go for a position we are established at? If he wanted to fill a need he'd have taken Meachem, Olson or Nelson. Taking BPA is exactly what he did.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I would think all of the Moss trade stuff can go away now. I don't know what we have to offer them since they got 2 QB's and we don't have anything higher then a 4th to offer and the Raiders already said no to that. Although it appears that they are looking to replace a WR, who's to say it isn't a long term thing.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:21 PM

I think Thompson DID consider Harrell BPA at #16. You might not have, but he did...so how can you be so critical of him? It wasn't like DT was the pressing need position that THompson reached to fill.

Packnut
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but Thompson did'nt make 1 pick that made us a better team. We had no need at DT and tacking a guy who has a history of injuries is just plain dumb. However, let's just hold our breath and HOPE he stays healthy.

The RB taken is not better than Morency and I'll bet anyone he won't be starting.

The WR is nothing different than Martin or Holliday. I find it funny that a few of the same people who derided Bowe for being slow, are boasting about this guy. This years version of C Rodgers.

Great saftey pick IF you have a cover saftey at the other spot. Sorry but coverage is'nt Nick's forte at the moment. Basic football 101 my friends. You don't run a scheme that puts your saftey in man coverage when he can't cover! We found that out the hard way with Manuel.

Those of you who think this draft is solid are just wishing and dreaming. After day 1 of the draft, Thompson did NOTHING to address any of our weakness. This is not a better football team. One more thing, a few of you have stated that fans can't know more than a GM. That's pure bullshit. The NFL is littered with GM's who were fired for making the wrong picks. Fan's who eat sleep and live football do have a good idea of player talent.

Be blind and trust in Teddy, but remember- lambs get slaughtered.......

CyclonePackFan

Considering the BPA at #16 was Brady Quinn...

Bretsky

In hindsight, losing to the Bears in the final week would've helped this team a lot going forward. An additional 3-5 spots really could've helped us in this draft.

A lot of great points

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Well guys..I'm off. It's been a fun draft day. Harrell looks like he could be pretty impactfull. The RB looks solid and will likely play a big part in our offense. It's always nice to have WR's that catch everything and the safetly looks like a special teamer to me. I agree that putting a rookie with Collins is just scary..

See ya's tomorrow. I mgiht be around a little less because I have homework and a family to tend to..

Joemailman
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM

I think Thompson DID consider Harrell BPA at #16. You might not have, but he did...so how can you be so critical of him?

Beer

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:23 PM

????

How did he not go BPA? Otherwise why would they go for a position we are established at? If he wanted to fill a need he'd have taken Meachem, Olson or Nelson. Taking BPA is exactly what he did.

Really? If the BPA was an injured DT then this draft class is the worst in NFL history. Quinn was the BPA. How many records does Harrell have? How many seasons did he play all of the games? I am not arguing this anymore. It's obvious that people don't use any sort of reason when thinking about a player. "So and so is better then so and so because he was drafted #2 and even though a guy is injured and has a history he is the BPA".

pittstang5
Day 2 I'd like to see Green Bay take a OT, one I really like is out of N. Illinois, Doug Free. He's a little Tall 6'7" 318, has room to add 10-15 lbs, and not lose any mobility. Can cut and pull, good quickness for a lineman. I think he'd be a good one to develop, if we got him in the fourth or 5th. I thought he'd be long gone by now. He'd be a good insurance policy, in case one of our tackles got injured.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/free_doug

Yes, the Pack needs to start grooming an LT behind Clifton. I like Free too. Another to throw out there - Allen Barbre.

The Leaper
I would think all of the Moss trade stuff can go away now.

Why would it go away? Are the Raiders really going to pay $10M this year to a guy who has openly quit on the team? Is Randy really going to be happy in Oakland on a team without one single prime time game?

Thompson knows the Raiders want to get rid of Moss...and eventually they will accept less for him to give their new coaching staff a fair chance of moving forward without a lead anchor dragging the team down.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Really? If the BPA was an injured DT then this draft class is the worst in NFL history. Quinn was the BPA.

So you are in favor of carrying THREE QBs on the roster with first-round level salaries? Five other teams BEHIND Green Bay also passed on Quinn.

I can't recall any NFL teams since the advent of the salary cap who have invested that kind of money in three different QBs at the same time.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:26 PM
For those of you who are defending TT's selections, did you defend Sherman when he made his? Or did you bash him? Because in my mind, TT is not having a good day 1 because of his #1 pick. Jamal Renolds anyone?

Partial

????

Really? If the BPA was an injured DT then this draft class is the worst in NFL history. Quinn was the BPA. How many records does Harrell have? How many seasons did he play all of the games? I am not arguing this anymore. It's obvious that people don't use any sort of reason when thinking about a player. "So and so is better then so and so because he was drafted #2 and even though a guy is injured and has a history he is the BPA".

If Adrian Peterson, with his lack of records and injury history, who is currently injured, be the BPA if he was there? You can say Brady Quinn was the BPA, but that is YOUR opinion. Since 22 teams passed on a potential franchise quarterback, I reckon he wasn't the BPA, otherwise teams wouldn't have let him slip.

Lurker64
He isn't a big fat guy. He is built. He will be an absolutely crushing run stuffer. His entire job should be to neutralize two blockers. He will be one of the premiere run stuffers in the league.

He's enormous, and he's a force inside clogging the middle, but that doesn't mean he's not also a big fat guy. The premier run stuffers in the league are big fat guys like Pat Williams. Anyway one of the major knocks against Branch are his weight and stamina, neither of which aren't going to be hindrances in the heat.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm off to bed. I'll be back tomorrow, on the account I have nothing else to do.

It's been fun. 'Night all.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Really? If the BPA was an injured DT then this draft class is the worst in NFL history. Quinn was the BPA.

So you are in favor of carrying THREE QBs on the roster with first-round level salaries?

You, then, are an idiot. I can't recall any NFL teams since the advent of the salary cap who have invested that kind of money in three different QBs at the same time.

I think the only idiot would be the person who didn't read why I thought we should take Quinn. I said why several times. I never said to carry 3 starter salary QB's on the roster. And only an idiot would call an injured DT who has yet to play a full season of college ball a better player then Brady Quinn.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM
For those of you who are defending TT's selections, did you defend Sherman when he made his? Or did you bash him? Because in my mind, TT is not having a good day 1 because of his #1 pick. Jamal Renolds anyone?

You are already writing off the guy without one snap on the field.

Pathetic.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:28 PM

Comparing an undersized defensive end not known for his toughness and form, to a supersized, tough player who has such good form florida had to double team him even he had only one functioning arm?

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:29 PM

He's enormous, and he's a force inside clogging the middle, but that doesn't mean he's not also a big fat guy. The premier run stuffers in the league are big fat guys like Pat Williams. Anyway one of the major knocks against Branch are his weight and stamina, neither of which aren't going to be hindrances in the heat.

His weight is pretty standard for his height. He's 6'7", remember. He'll be alright. His stamina will improve in the NFL.

Merlin

You are already writing off the guy without one snap on the field.

Pathetic.

You are already crowning him God without taking one snap, pathetic.

SD GB fan
wow i was watching the yahoo vid on justin harrell. he made some impressive INTs. maybe thats why TT picked him :shock:

Tarlam!
Well, at this time last year, we had Hawk and 2 guys I knew NUTHIN about.

I was ecstatic over Hawk, and that rode my emotions to accept Colldge and Jennings.

This year, I have 4 new Packer players to cheer for, that I know NUTHIN about.

Let's hope they turn out like the abovementioned.

Partial

So you are in favor of carrying THREE QBs on the roster with first-round level salaries?

You, then, are an idiot. I can't recall any NFL teams since the advent of the salary cap who have invested that kind of money in three different QBs at the same time.

I think the only idiot would be the person who didn't read why I thought we should take Quinn. I said why several times. I never said to carry 3 starter salary QB's on the roster. And only an idiot would call an injured DT who has yet to play a full season of college ball a better player then Brady Quinn.

He did play a full season.

Brando19
Wow...I just got home and I'm ready for bed. I listened to Rounds 2 and 3 on Sirius Radio. TT really sucked today. Green Bay may have had the worst draft out of any team in the league today. If we don't land Moss tomorrow....or in the next few days....I'll hate TT forever.

Merlin

Comparing an undersized defensive end not known for his toughness and form, to a supersized, tough player who has such good form florida had to double team him even he had only one functioning arm?

That wasn't the point. The point is TT didn't go BPA and everyone was all over Sherman for his drafting but TT get's a pass?

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
I think the only idiot would be the person who didn't read why I thought we should take Quinn. I said why several times. I never said to carry 3 starter salary QB's on the roster.

So how the hell are you going to NOT carry 3 starter salaries on the roster?

We can't move Rodgers (massive cap hit) so I guess you are suggesting we cut Favre.

Brilliant.

Tarlam!
wow i was watching the yahoo vid on justin harrell. he made some impressive INTs. maybe thats why TT picked him :shock:

No, apparently Tennessee retired his number. That must be why.

Charles Woodson
Well, later guys look forward for my fireworks tommorow... And merlin let me leave you with one thought....

The reason why Harell is a good pick is that he opens up our defense in the fact that he takes alot of preasure off of Hawk, and Barnett so we can see there potential

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:31 PM

That wasn't the point. The point is TT didn't go BPA and everyone was all over Sherman for his drafting but TT get's a pass?

If its any consolation I thought he should have taken Quinn, too. However, I don't think this guy will be bad. I actually think he could turn out to be a steal. I think Quinn is a steal as well.

Joemailman
04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but Thompson did'nt make 1 pick that made us a better team. We had no need at DT and tacking a guy who has a history of injuries is just plain dumb. However, let's just hold our breath and HOPE he stays healthy.

The RB taken is not better than Morency and I'll bet anyone he won't be starting.

The WR is nothing different than Martin or Holliday. I find it funny that a few of the same people who derided Bowe for being slow, are boasting about this guy. This years version of C Rodgers.

Great saftey pick IF you have a cover saftey at the other spot. Sorry but coverage is'nt Nick's forte at the moment. Basic football 101 my friends. You don't run a scheme that puts your saftey in man coverage when he can't cover! We found that out the hard way with Manuel.

Those of you who think this draft is solid are just wishing and dreaming. After day 1 of the draft, Thompson did NOTHING to address any of our weakness. This is not a better football team. One more thing, a few of you have stated that fans can't know more than a GM. That's pure bullshit. The NFL is littered with GM's who were fired for making the wrong picks. Fan's who eat sleep and live football do have a good idea of player talent.

Be blind and trust in Teddy, but remember- lambs get slaughtered.......

In other words, TT didn't pick the guys you wanted.

Merlin
I think the only idiot would be the person who didn't read why I thought we should take Quinn. I said why several times. I never said to carry 3 starter salary QB's on the roster.

So how the hell are you going to NOT carry 3 starter salaries on the roster?

We can't move Rodgers (massive cap hit) so I guess you are suggesting we cut Favre.

Brilliant.

First of all, you need a lesson in manners son. You don't call someone an idiot because they don't agree with you. Secondly, learn how the NFL works and find out about how to trade players before you get all sarcastic. The only thing brilliant here is that you can actually type a full sentence, other then that, you have a lot to learn.

Partial

No, apparently Tennessee retired his number. That must be why.

I think that has a little more to do with the big #92 in the sky. RIP.

BallHawk
Wow...I just got home and I'm ready for bed. I listened to Rounds 2 and 3 on Sirius Radio. TT really sucked today. Green Bay may have had the worst draft out of any team in the league today. If we don't land Moss tomorrow....or in the next few days....I'll hate TT forever.

Merlin? :shock:

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:33 PM

The point is that Thompson DID TAKE the guy he viewed as the BPA. Just because he didn't take the guy YOU think was the BPA does not mean he did not select the BPA on his board.

Thompson has said as much today...he viewed the kid as a top 10 pick in terms of talent.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:34 PM
First of all, you need a lesson in manners son. You don't call someone an idiot because they don't agree with you.

Then what in the hell do you call your criticism of Thompson?

Pathetic hypocrite.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:34 PM

If its any consolation I thought he should have taken Quinn, too. However, I don't think this guy will be bad. I actually think he could turn out to be a steal. I think Quinn is a steal as well.

I don't argue that the guy is bad. My argument is that he isn't a first round talent. He will now be paid as a first rounder and to be honest I think they guy is a reach. If he comes back healthy, he has some potential. His impact though will be minimal because we already have a decent DL. He may make it better, he may not.

Joemailman
04-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Pittman and Bush both still available. Could be a lot of trade action at the start of the 4th round tomorrow.

Merlin
First of all, you need a lesson in manners son. You don't call someone an idiot because they don't agree with you.

Then what in the hell do you call your criticism of Thompson?

Pathetic hypocrite.

Do you ever read anything in context or do you just make shit up as you go along?

mission2
i cant wait to bump this thread in week 9 of the season......... :lol:

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I am still waiting for last years thread to be bumped where people said Barnett sucks, Hawk is God and Hodge is our new MLB.

I defended that and I was right.

The Leaper
Do you ever read anything in context or do you just make shit up as you go along?

Shut the hell up.

You tell ME to get manners when YOU lambast Thompson as being a mediocre...and therefore idiotic...GM because he did not select Brady Quinn as the BPA because that was YOUR opinion of who was BPA.

That is hilarious.

Partial

I don't know. I thought the second and third round picks were pretty dissapointing.

Then again, our last back from Nebraska worked out pretty well. He was a third round pick, and I think we might have reached on Jackson a little, so maybe he should have been a third round pick as well. Hopefully, it works out just as well!

First round pick was very solid. He will be a very good player. He may not fill a position of need, but if you've ever seen the Jacksonville Jaguars play you will understand the benefit of a stud DT. This guy will be good. He is quick enough to penetrate and get sacks, but also big enough to hold the point of attack. I am pretty happy with this guy. If he played this year he probably would have gone top 5 (would have gone 2nd DT behind Claude Wroten had he come out).

I don't really like the Rover. Perhaps if they have him bulk up and play SLB. He'll be good enough in coverage to be an SLB and very fast. I am skeptical to say the least.

The receiver guy I have no idea about.

Bretsky
For what it's worth word was Denver wanted this guy

And for the record I wanted TT to trade down and pick up a WR; I have no idea how good Harrell will be and I'm taking a wait and see approach on him.

packers11
04-28-2007, 10:38 PM
What time does round 4 start....

12 est?

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 10:38 PM
i cant wait to bump this thread in week 9 of the season......... :lol:

haha, yup, should be interesting how everyone turns out

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I have no strong view on round one
I like the round two pick
I'm concerned we reached for the WR
I like the S

Partial

I don't argue that the guy is bad. My argument is that he isn't a first round talent. He will now be paid as a first rounder and to be honest I think they guy is a reach. If he comes back healthy, he has some potential. His impact though will be minimal because we already have a decent DL. He may make it better, he may not.

What if he performs like another Tennessee DT named John Henderson? He is a little shorter, but he has long arms and a big bubble. He'll be a good player. Definitely will walk in as a starter.

Charles Woodson

And for the record I wanted TT to trade down and pick up a WR; I have no idea how good Harrell will be and I'm taking a wait and see approach on him.

See the thing thats interesting to me is that its wasnt just TT that wanted this guy, i mean there are at least 6 other teams that were interested in him, i could understand if TT was the only guy who wanted him but i mean im starting to think that hes not so bad after all

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:41 PM
[quote="Merlin]Do you ever read anything in context or do you just make shit up as you go along?

Shut the hell up.

You tell ME to get manners when YOU lambast Thompson as being a mediocre...and therefore idiotic...GM because he did not select Brady Quinn as the BPA because that was YOUR opinion of who was BPA.

That is hilarious.

Make me shut up. The only people that can do that here are the moderators and that isn't you. If they ban me or whatever so be it. I don't have to take any crap from you. Unless you want to bring your big mouth up here and take me out I suggest you learn how to talk to people. It isn't only MY opinion, it is the opinion of many many many people. TT is a public figure and therefore it is common place for people to express their like or dislike. You don't walk up to someone you don't know and call them an idiot because they don't agree with you. There is a difference, it's called context. Look it up.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:42 PM

See the thing thats interesting to me is that its wasnt just TT that wanted this guy, i mean there are at least 6 other teams that were interested in him, i could understand if TT was the only guy who wanted him but i mean im starting to think that hes not so bad after all

Source? I am not skeptical I am just looking for literature.

Lurker64
Hey, can we stop calling each other names? There's no reason to get mad at each other. None of us drafted anybody today.

The Leaper
I'm still waiting to hear how we can draft Brady Quinn at #16 and not have three starting QB contracts on the roster.

21 teams didn't want Quinn...it isn't like we are going to get our value back on him in a trade.

Rodgers carries too high a cap number at this point to write off and trade.

Dumping Favre would be far more foolish than any of Thompson's draft choices.

packers11
What time does round 4 start....

12 est?

Anyone??? I want to make sure I wake up in time :lol:

Tony Oday
[quote="Merlin]Do you ever read anything in context or do you just make shit up as you go along?

Shut the hell up.

That is hilarious.

Make me shut up. The only people that can do that here are the moderators and that isn't you. If they ban me or whatever so be it. I don't have to take any crap from you. Unless you want to bring your big mouth up here and take me out I suggest you learn how to talk to people. It isn't only MY opinion, it is the opinion of many many many people. TT is a public figure and therefore it is common place for people to express their like or dislike. You don't walk up to someone you don't know and call them an idiot because they don't agree with you. There is a difference, it's called context. Look it up.

WHOA folks settle down here its just the draft. When Moss is in Green and Gold for a 4th rounder we will be happy :)

Packnut
04-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Gee, look's like others who make a living covering the Packers are less than thrilled also. But, then what does he know right?

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070428/PKR01/70428060/1989

Merlin

What if he performs like another Tennessee DT named John Henderson? He is a little shorter, but he has long arms and a big bubble. He'll be a good player. Definitely will walk in as a starter.

Sure, but what if he doesn't? The signs today are that he will not. I hope he works out, I really do. I just hate all the hype because he isn't all that, yet.

Charles Woodson
Aha well it could be worse

Dolphins fans are PISSED

The Dolphins passed on a franchise qaurterback for a kick/punt returner! The Dolphins should not be allowed to handle their own draft.
CMal3

I am a lifelong Dolphins fan, and now I think I'm going to pick a new team. I can't believe that they seriously did not pick Quinn. That dumb pick set the team back another 10 years. I tried to call the main office and their are "closed", and I think it is bring your kid to work day … and the kid got to make the pick. The Dolphins are dead to me, and Cameron is the Wannstadt (sp?)
—tgrant980

Now I know how Houston fans feel! If Randy doesn't have some trick up his sleeve and is trading Ginn for a player and pick then Im going to cancel my season tix. Just another example of the front office dropping the ball. We seriously need Pioli!
—m_ratti

Cam Cameron should go back to his High School Alma Mater and Coach there, because he just made the biggest mistake of his professional life. Looks like Jason Taylor and the Defense will still have to carry the entire team
—timshady5k

The Leaper
It isn't only MY opinion, it is the opinion of many many many people.

I'd like to see the MANY MANY MANY people who said Thompson was foolish to not take Brady Quinn at #16.

Please Merlin...indulge me.

Tony Oday
04-28-2007, 10:44 PM
I was all about the Pack taking Quinn and trading rogers and a pick for Moss.

pittstang5
04-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Merlin and Leaper - start another thread or something, I'm tired of reading your constant pickering back and forth. :P

Packnut
04-28-2007, 10:45 PM
And this from Clayton on the losers in this draft:

3. Brett Favre -- for now: Favre came back from potential retirement for a playoff run, but he's waiting for a big push from the Packers' personnel department. The wait netted him backup cornerback Frank Walker in free agency. That's it. Unless he was cutting the grass on his tractor, Favre might have been sitting around waiting for the Packers to acquire a big, fast receiver like Robert Meachem or find the running back to replace Ahman Green, who left for Houston to reunite with former Packers head coach Mike Sherman. The first round gave him defensive tackle Justin Harrell, a good lineman who fills a need. Brandon Jackson, a running back from Nebraska, went to the Packers in the second round but many thought he would go in the third, just like Green did years ago. Don't get me wrong: Jackson is a good sleeper back, better than people think. He's tough, he runs hard, and he should help. But sleepers may not wake up a quarterback waiting for greatness. Sounds to me like the Packers need to make that final push to get Randy Moss to satisfy Favre. That could happen Sunday. Favre might stop weeding the garden for that.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Gee, look's like others who make a living covering the Packers are less than thrilled also. But, then what does he know right?

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070428/PKR01/70428060/1989

Were you thrilled with Greg Jennings, though? Will you admit he was a pleasant surprise. In TT I trust.

packers11
04-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Favre is on his way to T.T.'s house with a machete... Don't worry, Randy Moss will be in GB tomorrow :lol:

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm still waiting to hear how we can draft Brady Quinn at #16 and not have three starting QB contracts on the roster.

21 teams didn't want Quinn...it isn't like we are going to get our value back on him in a trade.

Rodgers carries too high a cap number at this point to write off and trade.

Dumping Favre would be far more foolish than any of Thompson's draft choices.

Do you even know what Rodgers cap number is? Do you know his salary? Do you know that he doesn't get paid shit? He doesn't make shit until he becomes the starter. Cutting him is not a major cap hit and Quinn would get a similar contract. His signing bonus was small and he got a big bonus in 2006 (I believe) but even that wasn't a cap killer. So YES, we could have all three and the cap would be fine. However, we would trade one of them. AS far as round value, what kind of value do we get for the guy we drafted #1 if he is a bust? It's all a gamble.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry Tony...I'm talking credible guys in the media who are talking to scouts and team officials.

I can't recall seeing one single person critical of Thompson for not taking Quinn.

I think any argument claiming that TT is foolish for not taking BPA because Quinn was the guy you thought was BPA at #16 is ridiculous. The guy fell 22 spots. Thompson did not reach for a player at a position of need.

All signs point to the fact that Thompson did in fact that the guy he felt was the BPA at #16. You may disagree with his assessment, but to openly question why people aren't jumping Thompson's ass for not taking the BPA over Brady Quinn is ridiculous.

Charles Woodson
Hmm interesting, Our last RB Ahman Green also was from Nebraska, just like Jackson

Partial

I'd like to see the MANY MANY MANY people who said Thompson was foolish to not take Brady Quinn at #16.

Me. Simply because its a quarterback who would have gone #1 the past two years. He has the pedigree and work ethic. He's gonna be a good one. Since we have Favre at least this year and possibly next, I would have moved Rodgers for a 4th-5th-6th-whatever and moved on. I am sure he'll never admit it, but I would think that anyone who is competitive enough to get to be this level of athlete does not enjoy sitting on the bench for the first three to four years of his career.

Merlin

I am not arguing with you anymore. You can't read. On this board alone there are people. The talking heads on TV, etc.

Isn't it past your bedtime?

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Merlin and Leaper - start another thread or something, I'm tired of reading your constant pickering back and forth. :P

Sounds like me and Merlin. Somehow, I always turned out to look like the bad guy. Oh well. It's all water.

Partial
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM

3. Brett Favre -- for now: Favre came back from potential retirement for a playoff run, but he's waiting for a big push from the Packers' personnel department. The wait netted him backup cornerback Frank Walker in free agency. That's it. Unless he was cutting the grass on his tractor, Favre might have been sitting around waiting for the Packers to acquire a big, fast receiver like Robert Meachem or find the running back to replace Ahman Green, who left for Houston to reunite with former Packers head coach Mike Sherman. The first round gave him defensive tackle Justin Harrell, a good lineman who fills a need. Brandon Jackson, a running back from Nebraska, went to the Packers in the second round but many thought he would go in the third, just like Green did years ago. Don't get me wrong: Jackson is a good sleeper back, better than people think. He's tough, he runs hard, and he should help. But sleepers may not wake up a quarterback waiting for greatness. Sounds to me like the Packers need to make that final push to get Randy Moss to satisfy Favre. That could happen Sunday. Favre might stop weeding the garden for that.

Yes, but if this guy is a stud then we will have a top 5 D. I am hopeful he turns out to be a stud.

Tony Oday
04-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry Tony...I'm talking credible guys in the media who are talking to scouts and team officials.

I can't recall seeing one single person critical of Thompson for not taking Quinn.

I think any argument claiming that TT is foolish for not taking BPA because Quinn was the guy you thought was BPA at #16 is ridiculous. The guy fell 22 spots. Thompson did not reach for a player at a position of need.

All signs point to the fact that Thompson did in fact that the guy he felt was the BPA at #16. You may disagree with his assessment, but to openly question why people aren't jumping Thompson's ass for not taking the BPA over Brady Quinn is ridiculous.

lol I dont think the experts are that credible ;) Hey I like the pick in retrospect for the franchise but for Favre it sucked balls. I think that is why people dont like the pick.

However a good defence is what a team needs for a playoff push :)

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:51 PM

Aaron Rodgers fell farther then that and we took him. If you would learn to read, you would see that I posted two options for us, Quinn was only one of them unless you think 1 option = 2. You could, your logic so far has been to attack anyone you don't agree with and make things up.

falco
04-28-2007, 10:52 PM

Yes, but if this guy is a stud then we will have a top 5 D. I am hopeful he turns out to be a stud.

Partial, I agree. I know very little of Harrell, but I know what a stud DT can do for a defense...and combined with the front 7 we have right now, a stud DT could make us look really good.

I'm trusting in TT that Harrell was the BPA.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Do you even know what Rodgers cap number is? Do you know his salary? Do you know that he doesn't get paid shit? He doesn't make shit until he becomes the starter. Cutting him is not a major cap hit and Quinn would get a similar contract. His signing bonus was small and he got a big bonus in 2006 (I believe) but even that wasn't a cap killer. So YES, we could have all three and the cap would be fine. However, we would trade one of them. AS far as round value, what kind of value do we get for the guy we drafted #1 if he is a bust? It's all a gamble.

He's got $3M in bonus money remaining to be prorated.

There is no way in hell Thompson is throwing away $3M in cap space to dump Rodgers right now...and he would be incredibly foolish to do so over a QB who fell just as far as Rodgers and faced many of the same knocks (shaky accuracy, lack of arm strength) as a draft prospect.

Jumping Thompson ass for passing on Brady Quinn is stupid. I can fully understand people wanting him to take someone in a position of NEED (WR, TE) but I can't see one bit of reason in the Quinn argument.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:53 PM

Sounds like me and Merlin. Somehow, I always turned out to look like the bad guy. Oh well. It's all water.

I bring out the best in people :).

Merlin
04-28-2007, 10:54 PM

He's got $3M in bonus money remaining to be prorated.

There is no way in hell Thompson is throwing away $3M in cap space to dump Rodgers right now...and he would be incredibly foolish to do so over a QB who fell just as far as Rodgers and faced many of the same knocks (shaky accuracy, lack of arm strength) as a draft prospect.

Jumping Thompson ass for passing on Brady Quinn is stupid. I can fully understand people wanting him to take someone in a position of NEED (WR, TE) but I can't see one bit of reason in the Quinn argument.

And humping Thompson's ass without reading what I have already posted is STUPID. I swear you don't read what you write...

falco
Q: Marsha of Dallas - I read the analysis about Justin Herrell, and maybe they did take a talent over need. Do you think they should have applied that philosophy to pick Brady Quinn? Many think he is a better prospect overall than Rogers. Did TT drop the ball this year or what?

A: Tom Silverstein - Marsha -- You wanted to take take Brady Quinn over Harrell. I think Quinn went exactly where he should have. No one but his agent and ESPN were touting him as a top 10 pick, so I don't see him as an option. You've got to find out about Rodgers and taking another quarterback would be a fireable offense.

Bretsky

Were you thrilled with Greg Jennings, though? Will you admit he was a pleasant surprise. In TT I trust.

I will admit I was wrong on Jennings and TT was right
I will say I was right on Corey Rodgers and TT was wrong

That's why it's fun to throw our GM wanna be views out there and see what happens

HarveyWallbangers
A lot of the same guys that rip Thompson are ripping him now. A lot of the same guys that have supported him (I'll include myself because I've been a strong proponent of his drafts) are not unhappy at all with the draft, so far.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Aaron Rodgers fell farther then that and we took him. If you would learn to read, you would see that I posted two options for us, Quinn was only one of them unless you think 1 option = 2. You could, your logic so far has been to attack anyone you don't agree with and make things up.

We took Rodgers because we did not have another guy behind Favre who was a starting talent caliber QB.

With Rodgers on the roster, we do not need to take ANOTHER QB simply because he is tumbling down the draft board.

Where have I made anything up? I'm posting the facts on the situation...you are the one making up stuff such as the MANY, MANY, MANY people who agree with your take on Brady Quinn.

Merlin
I'm out of here. I have things to do and GM's to bitch about. 3 Mil prorated over "years" is peanuts in the NFL. No real cap hit, but wtf do I know about math?

chain_gang
I don't know about Harrell in Round 1. I would have liked to see one of the WR's in a Packer Uniform, mainly Bowe. But if Harrell can stay healthy him and Pickett should be able to free up the LB's big time, and make them studs.

Round 2 if Jarrett or Miller would have been available before we traded down I would have liked to have seen the Pack draft them. However, Jackson looks like the type of back that can share the load in the beginning and take over the full load in a year or two.

Round 3 I don't know anything about James Jones, I would have liked to have seen Green Bay take Mike Walker WR, but I thought he would go later in the draft, rather than right after the packers took James Jones. Rouse, I like, mainly his size. He may have to shift to LB, but imagine if he improves his technique enough to stay at Safety. I hope he stays there. his size 6'4 would help match up on jump balls for Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice, and others. Not to mention he's a hard hitter, who can make Receivers think twice about coming over the middle. Something we've been missing for a long time. If he ends up becoming a LB, we know have one of the fastest LB's corps in the leagues and someone that can match up with TE's like Olson. Not to mention possibly a poor mans Adalius Thomas, who can play all over the field. There's a lot of risk with Rouse, but there's also a ton of potential, that in my opinion is worth a 3rd round pick.

Can't wait for day 2!

packers11
04-28-2007, 10:57 PM
ok ill try asking this question a third time...

What time does it start tomorrow??? 12 est time??? :!:

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 10:57 PM
And humping Thompson's ass without reading what I have already posted is STUPID. I swear you don't read what you write...

You are making stuff up again...read my critique from a couple pages ago. I gave Thompson a B- so far.

If that is "humping Thompson's ass"...then so be it. Personally, I think you are grasping at straws.

Not to mention you are again being hypocritical after lambasting my manners. I don't mind calling a spade a spade...and if someone calls me an idiot, I'm not busting out my "Dear Abby" critique on them.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM

It will start when Berman gets over his Red Bull jitters...coverage on ESPN starts at 11am Eastern I believe, although I do believe you are correct that the picks start at noon.

chain_gang
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Here you go.

The draft resumes with Rounds 4 through 7 on Sunday at 11 a.m. ET on NFL Network and ESPN.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 11:01 PM
11-6 Central Time

MJZiggy

10:00CENTRAL according to the dope sheet

Partial

I will admit I was wrong on Jennings and TT was right

That's why it's fun to throw our GM wanna be views out there and see what happens

Touche, but busting on a third isn't as big of a deal as busting on a second. More specifically, as long as we hit on our one and two, I highly doubt anyone around here will care if we bust on our 3, 4, 5, etc.

Gotta hit big on the high picks. I am homeritically optimistic. I am hopeful this guy turns out like #92 from Tennessee or John Henderson.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 11:02 PM

True. We both agreed, but it's not like Demetrius Williams tore it up. He had 22 catches and 2 TDs last year. Hard to argue with the 2006 draft though. No team is perfect on these picks.

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 11:02 PM
One of the things I like about Thompson is his ability to react to the way the draft is shaping up and react to it appropriately. I'm fairly confident that were one of Rice or Jarrett there in the second, we would have picked whichever one of those guys he had rated higher. But they happened to go just before we picked, so Thompson managed to turn picking in a bad situation (there had not yet been a run on RBs, you don't want to start runs on players unless you really have a bee in your bonnet for a player) so he turned it into two picks and upgraded a 7th to a 6th, and ended up getting a RB that's quite probably a better fit for us than any of the other 2nd round RBs.

Hell, the RB a lot of us wanted him to take in the 2nd (Pittman) is still there, Thompson might still be able to get him tomorrow.

Partial
04-28-2007, 11:04 PM
One thing that was very interesting to me was TT trading down in the second. There were some good players available at the time. Hopefully, TT knows what he is doing.

In TT I trust.

Anyone have the rap sheet on Brandon Jackson? I am not trying to be a lazy jerk, but I really have no desire at this point to page through this massive thread :D

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Hell, the RB a lot of us wanted him to take in the 2nd (Pittman) is still there, Thompson might still be able to get him tomorrow.

I don't think we'll go for Pittman. I liked Pittman a lot...but he is too much like Morency. Thompson did the smart thing by grabbing a guy who seems good at picking up short yardage...something Morency and Pittman could struggle with.

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 11:05 PM

True. We both agreed, but it's not like Demetrius Williams tore it up. He had 22 catches and 2 TDs last year. Hard to argue with the 2006 draft though. No team is perfect on these picks.

That 2006 draft was a gem

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Here is one take on Jackson...

Brandon Jackson RB 5'10 210 Nebraska 4.54

As a true freshman Jackson ran for 390 yards and six touchdowns, while averaging 21 yards per kick return. As a sophomore, he battled injuries all year and ran for just 52 yards on the season. As a junior this past season, Jackson broke out rushing for 989 yards and eight touchdowns on the ground, and adding 313 yards and two touchdowns on 33 receptions, on his way to all Big 12 honors.

Jackson showed promise early in his career but finally came through the past season with the production. He is a back that shows very good quickness and change of direction ability. He can make the first defender miss, and has the speed to turn the corner and outrun defenders once in space. He is also a good interior runner, playing bigger than his size. He runs tough and keeps his legs moving to fight for extra yardage.

Jackson only has average size, and has only had one year where he was a big part of the offense. There are definite questions about his ability to be a feature back at the next level because of those issues.

Jackson really could have used another year in college to develop his skills and prove himself. With only one season of production(and still did not carry the ball 200 times), there is some doubt about his durability and about just how good he can become. He has some talent, and could be a player that develops down the road.

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't think we'll go for Pittman. I liked Pittman a lot...but he is too much like Morency. Thompson did the smart thing by grabbing a guy who seems good at picking up short yardage...something Morency and Pittman could struggle with.

We won't, probably. But the fact that every team in the NFL passed on this guy three times makes me feel a little better about not picking him.

Bretsky
One of the things I like about Thompson is his ability to react to the way the draft is shaping up and react to it appropriately. I'm fairly confident that were one of Rice or Jarrett there in the second, we would have picked whichever one of those guys he had rated higher. But they happened to go just before we picked, so Thompson managed to turn picking in a bad situation (there had not yet been a run on RBs, you don't want to start runs on players unless you really have a bee in your bonnet for a player) so he turned it into two picks and upgraded a 7th to a 6th, and ended up getting a RB that's quite probably a better fit for us than any of the other 2nd round RBs.

On the other hand I'd have liked to see him anticipate what was going down and if he had to trade up a few spots to get Jarrett or Rice. I think it's a lot harder to anticipate that than react and trade down.

MJZiggy

That 2006 draft was a gem

If these guys do anywhere NEAR as well as the 06 guys, I will be one happy little camper.

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:08 PM
More on Jackson

Positives: Has a compact, well-defined frame with good chest development, thick thighs and calves and deceptive burst to get out on the perimeter … Cuts sharply and changes directions suddenly … Makes quick decisions on the move, showing the field vision to locate soft areas on the field … Consistent in finding the cut-back lanes and changes direction well, showing the quick feet to side-step trash and break into the second level … Picks up defensive coverage well and is able to see the small cracks and explode through the holes … Even when he doesn't have the luxury of open lanes, he is capable of sinking his pads, redirecting and bouncing wide … Better when working along the perimeter, as he needs room to shift, and displays the balance and body control, along with forward lean, to pick up valid yardage after the initial hit … Aggressive inside runner with the weaving ability to pick-and-slide through traffic, doing a nice job of maintaining balance running through the pile and will keep his feet on the move … When he bounces to the outside, he can generate that accelerated second gear to separate from defenders upfield … Releases off the snap and gets into his routes smoothly in passing situations, showing marked improvement fielding the ball outside the framewor … Falls forward with good body lean and shows a good slide step to make the initial tackler miss … Can get to the corner, cut and break free down the sideline, building to top speed nicely … Runs at the low pad level you look for in a back (doesn't have to gear down to shift) … Has enough valid speed to be split wide in passing situations and is quite effective on swing routes … Lacks pop in his hips, but will face up as a blocker … Showed better patience waiting for his line to create rush lanes in 2006 than he did in the past … Shows no hesitation attacking the crease once he locates it, and has the field intelligence to avoid running into spots … Could use more upper body power, but can deliver a good stiff arm and has the proper pad level to bounce off tackles … Won't explode into tacklers, but has the leg drive to move the pile … One of his better assets is his ability to plant, drive and redirect, showing ease of movement to get past the second level … Has good hip swerve, head fakes and spin moves to set up and elude single tacklers … Knows how to shield the ball from defenders when working in the short-area passing game and has become a proficient underneath receiver due to his natural hands and ability to locate the soft areas in the zone … Can also provide emergency duty as a kickoff returner.

Negatives: Size is a bit of a drawback, as he has short legs that make it tough for him to simply run over tacklers in tight quarters … While he has good acceleration, he is not really explosive (4.55-second 40-yard dash at the Combine), and along with his short legs he can be run down by defenders in his attempts to go the distance (needs to set up his moves rather than try to enter a foot race) … Has a penchant for carrying the ball exposed working his way up field, and while this has not been much of a problem, he needs to protect the ball better … Has a history of shoulder problems that warrant further medical evaluation … Stamina might be an issue, as he runs hard early in games but tapers off late … Good receiver out of the backfield, but has had several costly drops as he prefers to absorb the ball rather than reach and pluck for it at its high point (poor timing on his leaps).

Compares To: J.J. Arrington, Arizona Cardinals … With only one season of heavy rush load work, Jackson is still a work in progress, but he shows he is a decent underneath receiver with some value as a return specialist … He appears to be very capable of breaking a game open with his speed, but while he flashes brilliance, he also disappears for long stretches on the field, making him appear to be better as a change of pace back than a featured runner … With two shoulder surgeries in two years, his durability is another concern.

Partial
04-28-2007, 11:10 PM
What's really interesting is how teams rate players. A little known fact by fans is that almost all teams share notes up until about march on their players.

They also share scouts. Something like 3/4 of the scouts submit their reports to the parent scouting company which sends out the data to the teams.

I am willing to bet that most teams go into the draft with very similiar opinions on the first day players. Second day is where it gets a little sketchy.

Joemailman
I think a lot of people get too worked up because they imagine there is some correlation between the mocks, which mostly copy each other, and the talent evaluations of GM's. If a lot of mocks had Harrell being drafted in the middle of the 1st round, I suspect the reaction to him may have been different.

My thoughts on today:

Justin Harrell: Will be a key member of the DT rotation from the start, and will increase his playing time as the season progresses.

Brandon Jackson: Like Joseph Addai last year, will split carries early, but will likely emerge as the #1 RB by season's end.

James Jones: Like most rookie WR's, will probably start slowly. However, his strong points (Ability to get yards after catch, toughness to run slants) are a perfect fit for the WCO. I knew nothing about him before he was picked, but I can see why TT valued him.

Aaron Rouse: Hard to evaluate this one. Not sure if he'll be a SS or a SLB. At the very least, he should have the ability to contribute immediately on special teams.

Tarlam!
Anyone have the rap sheet on Brandon Jackson?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/jackson_brandon

Partial
04-28-2007, 11:12 PM
When I picture Jackson, I picture Clinton Portis. Write-up seems similiar to what i'd right for Portis. Except the negatives probably wouldn't be there.

chain_gang
04-28-2007, 11:13 PM
# Sel# Team Player Pos. School
31 63 Green Bay Brandon Jackson RB Nebraska
Gil Brandt's Analysis
Jackson has a chance to be the real surprise of this draft, as far as running backs go. He reminds me of Frank Gore and Rudi Johnson. A three-year player at Nebraska who left a year early, he's a complete back. He's a real good receiver; you don't have to take him out in passing situations.

pittstang5
04-28-2007, 11:13 PM

I actually think TT is done looking at the RB position, unless he's looking at a RB to convert to FB.

(yeah, yeah, yeah.....I know, TT will take BPA)

The Leaper
04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
I think a lot of people get too worked up because they imagine there is some correlation between the mocks, which mostly copy each other, and the talent evaluations of GM's. If a lot of mocks had Harrell being drafted in the middle of the 1st round, I suspect the reaction to him may have been different.

I agree entirely. ESPN's coverage also really tilts things. For 2 hours, all we heard about was Brady Quinn dropping...as if he was clearly the best player in the draft and this was some kind of ridiculous situation where NFL GMs pulling hefty salaries to research these guys 24-7-365 were completely missing the boat.

The fact of the matter was that Quinn had some serious flaws in his game that most NFL GMs viewed as reducing his value. That tidbit was thrown out right away by Jaworski, who does plenty of film work on his own...but ESPN wasn't going to let this chance to "bump ratings" slip by so easily.

The fact of the matter is that Harrell wasn't even a blip on most "mock" radars...yet few pundits covering the draft are piling on the Packers for taking him. In other words...his level of talent certainly measures up to where he was selected.

Tarlam!
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I was just reading up on our new SS.

The guy is a beast with a mean streak. 4.31. Are you kidding me? Calvin who??

I love him already!

Partial
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM

I love him already!

I hope so!

pittstang5
04-28-2007, 11:21 PM

I love him already!

4.31!!!!!! Where did you get that? I've seen 4.52 and 4.59.

Guiness
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM
So, who are surprises left on the board for the second day?

Pittman is the obvious one. Anyone else that someone thought would go, but is still hanging around?

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 11:23 PM

I agree entirely. ESPN's coverage also really tilts things. For 2 hours, all we heard about was Brady Quinn dropping...as if he was clearly the best player in the draft and this was some kind of ridiculous situation where NFL GMs pulling hefty salaries to research these guys 24-7-365 were completely missing the boat.

The fact of the matter was that Quinn had some serious flaws in his game that most NFL GMs viewed as reducing his value. That tidbit was thrown out right away by Jaworski, who does plenty of film work on his own...but ESPN wasn't going to let this chance to "bump ratings" slip by so easily.

The fact of the matter is that Harrell wasn't even a blip on most "mock" radars...yet few pundits covering the draft are piling on the Packers for taking him. In other words...his level of talent certainly measures up to where he was selected.

Pete Prisco predicted this pick yesterday for Green Bay; he's been accurate in the past. I almost fell off my chair when I heard that this morning. And he was right

Tarlam!
04-28-2007, 11:24 PM

I love him already!

4.31!!!!!! Where did you get that? I've seen 4.52 and 4.59.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/rouse_aaron