PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Freak Out
04-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Holy fuck! The Broncos traded UP to get Tebow? Madness.....

Green Bud Packer
pats have alot of lbs to pick from

pbmax
Ted is in a great mood. Likes Schneider's picks for Seattle and has talked to him. Not concerned with Denver jumping up in front of them. Admits people do not tell the truth even if they spent all tomorrow morning on the phone.

Ted is risking a fine by saying he preferred the old schedule, 3 rounds on Sat, 4 on Sun. Having a chuckle at himself with nothing to do tomorrow. Thinks we might see more activity tomorrow than usual for round 2, possibly including vet players being moved.

Rastak
Good corners also.....

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Unless he has something already worked out, I don't see him trading back into the first. He was in no hurry,.

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Vikings might have to grab a corner here if they aren't sold on Clausen.

edit: Ya, there could be a run here before they pick.

superfan
04-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Ted is in a great mood. Likes Schneider's picks for Seattle and has talked to him. Not concerned with Denver jumping up in front of them. Admits people do not tell the truth even if they spent all tomorrow morning on the phone.

Ted is risking a fine by saying he preferred the old schedule, 3 rounds on Sat, 4 on Sun. Having a chuckle at himself with nothing to do tomorrow. Thinks we might see more activity tomorrow than usual for round 2, possibly including vet players being moved.

Volcanoes in Iceland, earthquakes everywhere, and Ted is giddy. The world is officially coming to an end.

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Bulaga is a guard. Bye Bye Colledge.

Bulaga is a tackle. But I agree, he'll probably be playing guard this season until Cliffy or Tausch get injured.
Ted said he will be at tackle. Coaches will decide which side to concentrate on. But he will get time at Left.

gbgary
Ted is risking a fine by saying he preferred the old schedule, 3 rounds on Sat, 4 on Sun.

he's not the only one. this format is stupid. just an nfl money grab. i hope it backfires on them.

Green Bud Packer
belichik must have wanted williams

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Volcanoes in Iceland, earthquakes everywhere, and Ted is giddy. The world is officially coming to an end.
No bleep. You could have almost called him animated. :lol:

I think waiting all day was tough for him. He seemed real excited.

For Ted.

mngolf19

I don't think Vikes want the headache of Clausen. LB, S, or CB.

rbaloha1

Bulaga is a tackle. But I agree, he'll probably be playing guard this season until Cliffy or Tausch get injured.
Ted said he will be at tackle. Coaches will decide which side to concentrate on. But he will get time at Left.

Shucks. Not sold on this guy yet. Seems to have problems with speed rushers.

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Pats take McCourty.......

Analysis
Read & React: Reads receiver's body language to see if his man is the primary target. Quick to jump routes because he reads the quarterback well. Doesn't bite on stop-and-go routes. Supports the run quickly, even when the play is between the tackles or on the other side of the field.

Man Coverage: Can press or play off effectively. Has fluid hips, transitions smoothly and stays low and is quick in his backpedal. Sticks to receivers on their routes, showing excellent change of direction. Plays more physically than you would expect for his size, using his hands to jam on the line and maintain contact downfield. Larger receivers will use their size to shield him from slants and crossing patterns.

Zone Coverage: Should make a very good zone corner in the NFL. Good awareness, keeping one eye on the short receiver and another on any players trying to hit the hole behind him. Comes off his man to react to a ball in the air. Makes the easy interception, goes up to get the ball and has strong hands. Will freelance when no receiver lines up on his side, leaving his zone open.

Closing/Recovery: Baits quarterbacks into throwing in his direction, closing very well when the ball is in front of him. Good plant and drive with body control. Takes the proper angle to the receiver. Lacks elite speed, but can recover quickly enough when picked on crossing or drag routes to make the tackle.

Run Support: Very willing (and able) to support the run. Attacks running backs coming into his area, bringing them down with veracity. Holds up his man to force plays inside. Hustles across the field to plays on the opposite sideline. Tough player, but still lacks the size to consistently get off downfield blocks from larger receivers.

Tackling: Wiry strong and solid in his tackling technique. Brings his hips and wraps ballcarriers when straight-on in his sights. Doesn't give up many yards after catch. Attacks screens, even after push off from larger receivers. Avoids blocks in the open field, usually wrapping a leg instead of cutting. Rarely misses completely, even against elusive runners. Should be one of the better special teams players in his class.

Intangibles: Reliable veteran who loves to play the game. Took a leadership role in 2009 with Jason McCourty and safety Courtney Greene in the NFL. Very good student who made multiple Big East All-Academic teams.

NFL Comparison: Ronde Barber, Buccaneers

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
mccourty to ne

Gunakor
04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Another DB falls before Wilson!

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Okay, I have watched the draft closely for many years. But trading a 2, a 3, and a 4 in a historically deep draft to get Tim Tebow is one of the most idiotic draft moves I have ever seen.
Belicheck was one of the coaches who liked him and thought he would play. Do you think Bill Jr. is going to run a spread?

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM

There is no way to know he'd be a headache. One receiver on NFL radio said he thought the guy was an ass until he met him and they started working out together. He said he was just a helluva competitor....so who knows....

pbmax

If he plays the right side, not such a problem.

Tony Oday

CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER!!!!

rbaloha1
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Always felt Wilson was overrated. A bad year for corners elevated Wilson. Plus Wilson plays in the WAC which has some really bad teams.

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Everyone admit it. Drafting for need is boring. Its was more fun when everyone's mouth dropped open and kept repeating "WHO?!".

:lol: :lol:

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Always felt Wilson was overrated. A bad year for corners elevated Wilson. Plus Wilson plays in the WAC which has some really bad teams.

Maybe, he's a confident fellow and made some plays.

mngolf19

There is no way to know he'd be a headache. One receiver on NFL radio said he thought the guy was an ass until he met him and they started working out together. He said he was just a helluva competitor....so who knows....

People down here that know him agree with all the bad things being said about him. Caused a bar fight here right after their season ended. There's a reason he is dropping. Also Chilly would have checked him out beforehand like he did with Harvin. Don't think they had anyone check the ND guys.

red

you're basing that on one play from one video against one of the top if not the top speed rushing in the draft

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Odrick to Phins....

Analysis
Pass rush: Has good height, strength, agility and length to be a consistent penetrator. Bowled over many college linemen with his bull rush and seems to be in motion with the snap of the ball. Has some shiftiness and is able to penetrate with a swim or an inside-out move when blocked one-on-one. Uses his hands to discard linemen. Disrupts passing lanes with his long arms and big hands, keeping his eyes in the backfield. Can accelerate to the quarterback after initial contact but does not have elite quickness or change-of-direction ability to come back and make the sack or chase down plays in the backfield.

Run defense: Usually holds his ground inside or pushes back against double-teams. Disengages from blocks to get back into the play and has made stops four or five yards downfield. Not quick enough laterally, but uses his strength to move down the line while engaged on stretch plays. Must be more aware of protecting his knees from cut blocks.

Explosion: Good quickness and pop off the snap. Able to knock his man back a step or two into the pocket. Improved his get-off as a senior playing the three-technique and is able to consistently penetrate from that spot.

Strength: Brute strength makes him a tough assignment in pass protection for college linemen. Stacks his man and rips off in either direction to fill a hole. Pushes the pocket as a pass rusher, even when double-teamed. Plays tall but controls the line on almost every snap when straight-up or doubled.

Tackling: Solid wrap tackler inside because of his strength and length at the point. Lacks the change-of-direction ability to regularly rein in elusive ballcarriers or make plays from behind. His height also prevents him from consistently breaking down in space.

Intangibles: Work ethic and consistency of effort have been questioned in the past, but he appeared to turn a corner in 2009. Cited for disorderly conduct and fined for a February 2009 early morning fight in downtown State College.

NFL Comparison: Fili Moala, Indianapolis Colts

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Mays to jets

steve823
Wonder who the Jets get. Kindle..or maybe Mt. Cody ?

Packgator
I was so sick of seeing Florida win championships

Not me :)

digitaldean
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Holy crap, Ravens got a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th to trade out of the first.

As for our pick, I like it. It's a need and a productive guy fell to us.

I'm surprised at the wealth of choices available (Kindle, Hughes, Bulaga).

I don't see how Tebow or Bradford succeeds at this level. Bradford will be David Carr in 3 seasons and Tebow will have to overcome some really iffy mechanics and accuracy to succeed.

imscott72
Everyone admit it. Drafting for need is boring. Its was more fun when everyone's mouth dropped open and kept repeating "WHO?!".

lol, yes I have to agree, although I'm very stoked about this pick.

pbmax
For the people who were wondering why Bulaga fell ..

Bulaga slipped due to concerns about his arm length, lack of difference-making upside, and possibly a thyroid condition that cost him three games last season.

Still we got a GREAT pick here
Yes, forgot that one. Shorter than ideal arms. Looks like Tyrannosaurus, plays like Rex.

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:33 PM

I don't see how Tebow or Bradford succeeds at this level. Bradford will be David Carr in 3 seasons and Tebow will have to overcome some really iffy mechanics and accuracy to succeed.

Bidding war between Buffalo and Denver is what happened from what I heard on NFL radio.......

mngolf19
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM

I agree Dean. I think Bradford gets injured too much and never happens.

HarveyWallbangers
From McGinn's article.

One of two scenarios is most likely to unfold for the Packers Thursday night in the first round of the National Football League draft.

• One of three offensive linemen (center Maurkice Pouncey, tackles Bryan Bulaga and Anthony Davis) whom sources within the league indicate Thompson regards as elite will begin to slide, prompting the general manager to part with perhaps a third-round selection in order to move up and grab one of them.

• Those three players, along with consensus top tackles Russell Okung and Trent Williams, go off the board so quickly that the Packers' keen desire to land a starting offensive lineman is doomed to failure.

So much for having to give up a third round pick to get Bulaga.
:D

Bossman641

It is a lot different not having to go scrambling trying to figure out who the guy is. :D

Tony Oday
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Any chance we get Taylor Mays?

red
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
For the people who were wondering why Bulaga fell ..

Bulaga slipped due to concerns about his arm length, lack of difference-making upside, and possibly a thyroid condition that cost him three games last season.

Still we got a GREAT pick here
Yes, forgot that one. Shorter than ideal arms. Looks like Tyrannosaurus, plays like Rex.

it looks like he has a very wide torso though. i bet his wingspan is right up there with the rest of the OT's

does that matter

i know his reach is ABOVE the 32 inch threshold

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Jets take Wilson (CB)......

Analysis
Release: Quick out of his stance; can put a move on corner if in press or flat-out fly by zone corners and safeties waiting for him at the second level.

Hands: Has small hands, but is a reliable receiver. Snatches the ball out of the air on high and wide throws, even in traffic. Uses his hands when facing the quarterback as well. Tracks the ball over either shoulder and can leap to make the catch if the pass is overthrown. Will drop one occasionally when trying to make a move before securing the ball.

Route running: Owns the foot quickness to be a two-way threat from the slot. Stops quickly and gets a good angle on inside routes. Hesitation on stop-go routes freezes defenders and allows him to explode past. Will be a major threat on crossing routes at the next level. Will need work on his hand play near the line as he will be challenged within the five-yard area. Good burst to the ball when it's in the air.

After the catch: Jitterbug on the edge on quick screens, using jump step to elude defenders. Also used on inside screens, where he can weave his way through traffic. Good body control to head upfield after making the catch toward the sideline. Tough runner for his size; will lower his head to get to first down marker (though he's not strong enough to bowl over linebackers). Vision with the ball is good, not great, will run into blockers. Good punt returner because of his hands and acceleration. Doesn't always make the first man miss, but will make teams pay for low punts and poor coverage with good speed and shifty hips in the open field.

Blocking: Willing inside blocker for the run who gets into his man's jersey. Gives good effort to sustain and has upper-body strength, but is too small to hang on for long against larger defenders. Resorts to cut block at times, but will get into the thigh of the defender to stop him from reaching the ballcarrier. Looks for someone to hit downfield to help teammates.

Intangibles: Stepped up into leadership role on offense, worked hard in the off-season to build bulk. Missed time with a right hamstring injury in 2009.

pbmax

Its like old Rat reunion time in here today. :lol:

imscott72
There goes Wilson

steve823
04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Not good for teams playing the Jets. They got Revis plus Cromartie, and Wilson now..and CB was their weak spot last year :shock:

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Bidding war between Buffalo and Denver is what happened from what I heard on NFL radio.......
Did Buffalo want Tebow as well?

channtheman
Mrs. Juggalo for the Jets! At least 3 guys looking at them titties! :lol:

Rastak
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy

Gunakor
OMG the Jets got themselves a whole bunch of quality corners now!

Rastak
[quote=digitaldean]Holy crap, Ravens got a 2nd, 3rd and a 4th to trade out of the first.

Bidding war between Buffalo and Denver is what happened from what I heard on NFL radio.......[/quote
Did Buffalo want Tebow as well?

Yup

mngolf19
04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy

or Brown

Green Bud Packer
good luck rastak

red
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy

robinson would be a real nice CB IMO

but you guys do need a real QB soon

channtheman
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Vikings take Clausen and Favre is playing 5 more years.

pbmax
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy
If they draft a QB, #4 might:

1) Year 1, mediocre season
2) Year 2, will start suggesting Free Agents to sign, possibly a friend as HC
3) Year 3, will start to get serious about retiring until July.

:lol:

Rastak
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy

robinson would be a real nice CB IMO

but you guys do need a real QB soon

Might grab the CB now and Pike or Skelton later......

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
let clausen sit behind Favre till 12/21/12

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy

He's past that stage.....plus he's happy now.... :)

superfan
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Vikes will take BPA - Best Punter Available. :lol:

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
2 min warning

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Vikes trade down!

Jahvid best to Lions!

Green Bud Packer
Vikes will take BPA - Best Punter Available. :lol: spit up my beer

mngolf19
NICE!!!

steve823
TRADE TO LIONS ! :shock:

Gunakor
Vikes up

Jimmy Clausen
Brian Price
Patrick Robinson
Colt McCoy

He's past that stage.....plus he's happy now.... :)

You guys haven't drafted a QB in the first round to replace him yet.

:D

Rastak
Vikes likely in catbird seat for day 2.

imscott72
Lions take Vikings pick!!

pbmax
So much for the Kevin Smith era.

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Didn't get your guy in day one? Start the bidding for the first pick of day 2.

Gunakor
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Vikings doing Lions favors?

superfan
Divisional trade - interesting. Since it's the Lions, has to be a favorable move for the Vikes. Looking like Best to Lions.

Rastak
Vikings doing Lions favors?

Hardly.......

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
best to lions

red
thats gotta be enough to piss of some viking fans. watch this crap all night only to find out you won't pick for another 20 some hours

pbmax
Its not a bad bet. Either you get a day to sleep on the pick after moving back slightly OR someone offers you a ransom to jump in front to get their guy.

Tony Oday
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

Vikes get 2nd 4th and 7th

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Oops...Rams have #1 pick in 2nd round....rats

wow........thanks Tony, that works.

mngolf19
thats gotta be enough to piss of some viking fans. watch this crap all night only to find out you won't pick for another 20 some hours

Not this one. :)

Green Bud Packer
queeens got 34 .4th and 7th

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I guess Holmgren was serious when he said he didn't like Clausen. Where's he gonna go?

red
Oops...Rams have #1 pick in 2nd round....rats

wow........thanks Tony, that works.

bet the rams take clausen right in front of you

pbmax
Best might be fast on Lions carpet. If I was a Vikings voter, I would demand lots of sand in the new Vikings outdoor stadium.

imscott72
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

I hope that's a high 2nd for Minny's sake

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I wonder if the Vikings are positioning themselves to package a high 4 and a 3 to get a second tier QB or lineman.

mngolf19
KC will take Clausen.

Gunakor
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

It's #34 overall.

Tony Oday
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

34th

Rastak
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

It's #34 overall.

They got #34 but also moved up about 28 spots in round 4.

rbaloha1
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM

you're basing that on one play from one video against one of the top if not the top speed rushing in the draft

"I thought he was a tad overrated," a third scout said. "I saw him get beat by Brandon Graham, and (O'Brien) Schofield killed him."

digitaldean
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice move by the Lions to get Best.

Surprising it was done with a divisional trade.

Green Bud Packer
queens better draft someone to stop Best. fatty and fatter are getting old

Tony Oday
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

It's #34 overall.

They got #34 but also moved up about 28 spots in round 4.

I bet that is what sold it...deep draft. Vikes need a decent CB and thats about it for this year...they can develop some O-Line...Mckinnie blows....and LBs with lower picks...also a project QB in 4th maybe or do they take Claussen tomorrow?

pbmax
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

I think I read somewhere that its around the 34th pick. :)

rbaloha1
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
KC will take Clausen.

overpaid for the usc qb. do not think clausen goes there. thank goodness the vikes passed.

channtheman
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Jon Gruden said "dumbass" on NFL network. :lol:

Bossman641

"I thought he was a tad overrated," a third scout said. "I saw him get beat by Brandon Graham, and (O'Brien) Schofield killed him."

Please find me a single project, other than maybe Suh, that doesn't have something bad said about him.

pbmax
Who did he refer to?

steve823
NOOOO. Now I hate the Colts even more. :(

Green Bud Packer
mcginns pick to the colts

red

fatty is only 29 with plenty of good years ahead of him

fatter is on his last leg though

channtheman
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Who did he refer to?

Just caught the end of it as they were coming back from a commercial. Sounded like he was cracking a joke to the guy sitting next to him and didn't know they were on air.

Tony Oday
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
ugh I hate the new format! I am in draft mode! C'mon!

Packgator
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Its like old Rat reunion time in here today. :lol:

Hi pb. The draft will do that. Sort of gets the new season underway.

mngolf19
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
KC will take Clausen.

overpaid for the usc qb. do not think clausen goes there. thank goodness the vikes passed.

Yes, but that's also where his college coach is new OC. He gets to develop for a year or two.

Green Bud Packer
onto tommorrow

Rastak

fatty is only 29 with plenty of good years ahead of him

fatter is on his last leg though

And usually plays 2 downs these days...

rbaloha1

Please find me a single project, other than maybe Suh, that doesn't have something bad said about him.

Convince me that this guy will be as good as Cliffy or Taushcer.

packers11
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
TRADE UP FOR KINDLLLEEEEE!!!

falco
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Go old timing rats!

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Those were his first 2 games back after being out with a thyroid condition. He struggled in those games, but then played well the rest of the year.

imscott72
trade:

Lions get 1st and 4th

It's #34 overall.

Ok..Very fair exchange then..

rbaloha1
KC will take Clausen.

Yes, but that's also where his college coach is new OC. He gets to develop for a year or two.

too much money for one position. kc has many other holes to fill. plus the kc qb is young.

falco
What was his thyroid condition? Is it chronic?

Rastak
Night guys, may see you tomorrow.

imscott72
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
TRADE UP FOR KINDLLLEEEEE!!!

Shit I would love that..not gonna happen though..

Maxie the Taxi
Later...

Guiness
'lo folks

kids in bed, poured a beer and joining for the last part of the draft.

I just saw Tebow went to the Broncos - most are going to call that a reach, I guess. He was projected as 3rd round by many, yet the NFL invited him to the draft. Insider information there?

Tony Oday
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Work out warrior Campbell doesnt go round one

Green Bud Packer
who'd aints pick?

pbmax

Considering that during their twin 10 year careers, there were probably only 8 O lineman better than them for a majority of those years, that's a pretty tall order. How about if he is better than Earl Dotson was for five years?

Bossman641
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM

This year? While the pick isn't exciting, it definitely fills a need without being a reach. They can bring him along slowly, while also getting him some snaps because Clifton always misses time.

I'm not a scout, and the Packers' track record of (not) developing linemen scares me. I just think it's strange that one quote and a videoclip is your proof.

pbmax
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
ESPN is saying looks like a trade?

Tony Oday
04-22-2010, 10:03 PM

This year? While the pick isn't exciting, it definitely fills a need without being a reach. They can bring him along slowly, while also getting him some snaps because Clifton always misses time.

I'm not a scout, and the Packers' track record of (not) developing linemen scares me. I just think it's strange that one quote and a videoclip is your proof.

When AR buys him a new car that will be your proof ;)

Green Bud Packer
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
see ya all tomorrow

pbmax
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Patrick Robinson to the Saints.

gbpackfan
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Who did he refer to?

He said it on ESPN too! It was hilarious. He thought they were still in commercial.

pbmax
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Buluga had a thyroid infection, and it has tested fine since treatment. Doesn't sound like the kind of condition that would require radiation or removal. Though, I have never heard of a thyroid infection.

Carolina_Packer
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Here's some draft video on Bulaga: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d817b6841/Packers-take-Bulaga

pbmax
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Trade Tracker

pbmax
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
That is an impressive neck:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d817b67b9_gallery_600.jpg

Tony Oday
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
couldnt be more stoked!!!! Love the pick

digitaldean
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Kindle's still available??

packers11
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Kindle's still available??

yup

digitaldean
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Surprising Kindle, Mays and Saffold still available.

OS PA
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
It's funny. Five months ago, this guy was our pick in everybody's mock draft, then the combine came around and everything changed. Draft time comes around, everything settles back down, and Bulaga falls right back into our laps. Did he really fall or is the media just really good at hyping up players. The more we listen to guys like Mel Kiper, the further away from reality we get. Bulaga is a great talent, but he isn't a sure fire pick. This draft is really deep, but the elite talent was all gone by the time Eric Berry came off the board. This first round has three tiers of talent. The first tier was Berry, Suh, and McCoy. The second tier was Bradford, Haden, Okung, Williams, and Thomas. The third tier is the deepest tier, it is full of above average prospects, and I feel like the second round is going to still be dipping into the third tier. After about the 12th or 13th pick in the second round, we'll be moving into the fourth and fifth tiers, which is more of a long shot for getting a day one starter. This draft is deep, but it isn't deep in elite talent, just above average guys.

I am super happy about Bulaga, but he could amount to an average player. He doesn't play with elite knee-bend, he isn't overly quick, and he does have short arms. With the edge rushers in our division, we need a guy with that quick first step and a long enough wingspan to hold the corner. I hope that Bulaga doesn't have to start from day 1, because he would be manhandled by Peppers and Allen. Bulaga has the potential to be a Joe Thomas type of talent, but I don't think we'll see much of that this year. I would be more than happy to bite my tongue if I am proven wrong.

K-town
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
So, let me see if I can figure this out:
1) Bulaga is the swing tackle. Or maybe just backs up Clifton?
2) Where does T.J. Lang move to? Left Guard? Back-up to Tauscher only?
3) Please don't make him "multi-positional!" No more Colledge-type moving to every damn position on the line except center, so that he becomes jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

Guiness
04-22-2010, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Pittsburgh take Clausen.

I really thought they would as well.

Chubbyhubby
04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Who do we pick in the second round? Any thoughts??

Brohm
04-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Just for comparison....

Bulaga's arm length (33 1/4)

Joe Thomas (32 1/2)

Oher (33 1/2)

Jake Long (32 7/8)

Okung (36)

Trent Williams (34)

Clifton (33)

Bryant KcKinnie (35 1/2)

Orlando Pace (36 1/4)

Guiness
04-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Not trying to be racist, but no white players have been drafted yet. Conspiracy? :roll: :wink:

Sam Bradford's black!? :wink:

Well, only half white. It's all a conspiracy, racist teams aren't picking Bulaga because he's white.

Wow, that's actually funny. We really have an old school OL, don't we? Bunch of fat white boys!

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
3) Please don't make him "multi-positional!" No more Colledge-type moving to every damn position on the line except center, so that he becomes jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

If Colledge is the starting LG, Bulaga backups at LT and Lang backups at RT. If Lang is the starting LG, Bulaga may see time at both T positions.

With Colledge back, OL roster looks like Clifton/Colledge/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher/Bulaga/Spitz/Evan Dietrich Smith/Giacomini or Barbre. pretty competitive situation.

Brohm
04-22-2010, 11:19 PM

If Colledge is the starting LG, Bulaga backups at LT and Lang backups at RT. If Lang is the starting LG, Bulaga may see time at both T positions.

With Colledge back, OL roster looks like Clifton/Colledge/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher/Bulaga/Spitz/Evan Dietrich Smith/Giacomini or Barbre. pretty competitive situation.

Nice mix of vet/youth/experienced-get-your-shit-together-or get canned group of talent there...and you forgot lang at the end! :P :oops:

HarveyWallbangers
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM

If he's healthy, I think Spitz is the favorite at LG over Colledge. But Lang could beat them both out. I like Lang as an OG prospect more than OT. Maybe he'll surprise me though.

Bulaga/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Lang, if Wells can play a few more years (and OCs often can). Bulaga/Lang/Spitz/Sitton/? otherwise.

Joemailman
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Oops! Giaco and Barbre are in trouble, and the draft has just started. Wouldn't be surprised if TT looks later for a guy who can play both G and T. Someone like Selvish Capers or Ciron Black.

Guiness
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Back in.....just opened a Stone Smoked Porter. :)

On my third Miller High Life and I'm an old man. :)

My three favorite beers - Guinness, Newcastle, High Life. Go figure.

Yup, that counts as weird.

Why High Life? Can you actually tell it apart from the other american lagers? I happen to like that style, but would have made my list - Guinness, Dogfish 60 minute, lawnmower beer.

OS PA
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Oops! Giaco and Barbre are in trouble, and the draft has just started. Wouldn't be surprised if TT looks later for a guy who can play both G and T. Someone like Selvish Capers or Ciron Black.

Keep your eye on Ciron Black. Nice call there.

Bretsky
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Was at a draft party
Had I known Rastak was going to come back I might have skipped

Good solid and safe pick at a position of need. Hard to go wrong here.

Still love Hughes as a player though; he'll be one of the steals of the draft for Indy

Bretsky
04-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

The selection of Bulaga meant the Packers lost out on outside linebacker Jerry Hughes, who went 31 to Indianapolis. Hughes was a player the Packers had targeted before Bulaga's descent.

Gunakor
04-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Bulaga/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Lang

I'd be okay with giving this a shot.

In all honesty though I'm hoping Colledge can regain his 2008 form and win the starting job at LG. The reason for that is because Spitz can back up many positions on the line whereas Colledge can't. We wouldn't have to worry about having to replace a guard AND a center if Scottie Wells got hurt, for example.

Obviously if Colledge can't perform well then you have to go with your best alignment up front. I certainly wouldn't simply hand him the starting job and tell him it's his. There has to be a competiton, but I hope Colledge wins it.

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

The selection of Bulaga meant the Packers lost out on outside linebacker Jerry Hughes, who went 31 to Indianapolis. Hughes was a player the Packers had targeted before Bulaga's descent.

Not that I studied a lot, but I wasn't enamored with the OTs after the first four, so I was happy with the result. Of course, one player doesn't make a draft. Would like to see them build depth on defense for most of the rest of the draft. I wonder how highly the Packers management is on Brad Jones. He showed quite a bit last year, but how much more will he improve.

Gunakor
04-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

Bulaga's decent changed a lot of things, I imagine. Bulaga is reportedly one of 3 players TT was willing to package our first and third to move up to get, so when he fell into our lap at 23 I'm sure TT was as giddy as a 13 year old girl at an N'Sync concert.

There's still a chance that TT could get really ambitious tomorrow and put together a package to move up and nab Kindle. Probably doesn't want to give up our 3 this year, as deep as the middle rounds appear to be, but I could see him putting together a 2 and a 4 to move up 10 spots or so if he's still there.

Bretsky
04-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

Not that I studied a lot, but I wasn't enamored with the OTs after the first four, so I was happy with the result. Of course, one player doesn't make a draft. Would like to see them build depth on defense for most of the rest of the draft. I wonder how highly the Packers management is on Brad Jones. He showed quite a bit last year, but how much more will he improve.

Completely agree; after the top 4 tackles the only other I kind of liked was the Indiana OT Saffold...but....I highly doubt he was lasting til our pick in round two and I think he was going in top 10 picks in round two...so you are playing a dangerous game if you play the trade down game there.

I hope we can get a pass rushing OLB and Safety with two of our next three picks. Although, for whatever reason I've always been intrigued by McCluster so I wouldn't mind him either.

Brad Jones started a lot stronger as a starter than he finished. Hard to think he could have hit a rookie wall as he didn't play much of the year. I think he's a nice backup but am not sold on him becoming a consistently effective pass rusher.

I think in the next couple days we might also see a few veterans traded. Probably not from Green Bay...but all these breaks give GM's more times to talk and work out deals for draft picks. In the past JS reported that teams had called about Desmond Bishop. I wonder if they might be best off trading the guy if his game is not all around enough for our coaches to feel confident to give him a shot.

I went into this draft dreaming of somehow ending up with Hughes and Saffold.....but that wasn't going to happen

I'm real happy with the Buluga Pack.....and maybe that's not a good thing

I also would like to see a ZOLTAN drafted (punter for MICHIGAN) and an upside special teams return guy.

Bretsky
04-23-2010, 01:43 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

Bulaga's decent changed a lot of things, I imagine. Bulaga is reportedly one of 3 players TT was willing to package our first and third to move up to get, so when he fell into our lap at 23 I'm sure TT was as giddy as a 13 year old girl at an N'Sync concert.

There's still a chance that TT could get really ambitious tomorrow and put together a package to move up and nab Kindle. Probably doesn't want to give up our 3 this year, as deep as the middle rounds appear to be, but I could see him putting together a 2 and a 4 to move up 10 spots or so if he's still there.

I really think Kindle is going to be in the top 6 picks tomorrow..tough to move up that far

If he keep falling then I think the GM's know something we don't about the guy

I was also in love with Odell Thurman..spectacular player....but a terrible person who was destined for some extreme trouble...aka Lawrence Thunderbook (was that the Ram RB's name)

I'm wondering if Kindle is just a bad person nobody wants to touch

Great pass rushing skills; I'd love to see TT move up to nab him
I'd also be real intrigued by TT moving up for Taylor Mays in round two

Should be interesting tomorrow

I'm stocked to be in here all of tomorrow night :!:

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm pretty sure Kindle's fall is more than just character concerns.

The real concern I have about Kindle is that he's just not a very good lateral athlete. He's good in a straight line, but his change-of-direction skills are pretty poor. He also doesn't disengage well and is pretty ineffective when his initial move is handled.

So that makes you worry about him as an outside linebacker in coverage and also his effectiveness in the NFL. Since he doesn't (right now) have a counter to either his speed rush or his bull rush, he's going to get handled pretty easily by a lot of NFL tackles.

Worilds, Norwood, or Sapp would all be better picks than Kindle for OLB, in my personal opinion. None of these guys are immediate starters at OLB (IMO there weren't any this year), but Worilds and Norwood are in the "contributor as a rookie, starter as a second year player" category while Sapp and Kindle both are players who have one major deficiency with starter potential otherwise, but I think Sapp's are more correctable (mostly Sapp is terrible coming out of a three point stance and his pad level is too high when he turns the corner).

mission
04-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

I really think Kindle is going to be in the top 6 picks tomorrow..tough to move up that far

I was also in love with Odell Thurman..spectacular player....but a terrible person who was destined for some extreme trouble...aka Lawrence Thunderbook (was that the Ram RB's name)

Not a huge Kindle fan but somehow in round 2 would be pretty exciting, I'd be fine with that. Obviously Taylor Mays too... curious to see where the next tier of safeties goes. Where Morgan Burnett ends up ...

Gunakor
04-23-2010, 01:57 AM

Not sure. We'd have to see how it all unfolds tomorrow, but if 5 picks go by and Kindle is still there I'd be a fool not to try. I mean, it isn't quite the same risk that trading up for CMIII last year was, but the reward could be nearly as great.

Mays is also intriguing. The knocks against him are well documented, but there's still a few teams that need a safety that didnt' take one today. He'll probably be picked before we're on the clock tomorrow, but how far are we willing to move up and how much are we willing to give? That's a tough one to answer. I think Mays would be an immediate upgrade, but I'm not sure how significant it would be - at least immediately. Thus I'm not sure I'd give a whole lot or move very far up for him.

Bretsky
04-23-2010, 01:59 AM
Interesting Blip in JS

Not a huge Kindle fan but somehow in round 2 would be pretty exciting, I'd be fine with that. Obviously Taylor Mays too... curious to see where the next tier of safeties goes. Where Morgan Burnett ends up ...

For those who like him I think we might have a shot at him in round two

Round two will be another great spot for TT to look at trading down; I think there will be a few safeties that are similar left.

I'm still wanting two more Big Ten Players
O'Brien Schofield with our additional fifth round pick (end of 5th)
And bring on the Zoltan....Zoltan Mesko (round 6) from Michigan

pbmax
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Zoinks. Vikes beat guys are saying the Vikings first choice at 34 got snatched up by the Saints.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/the-vikings-wanted-patrick-robinson/

The Vikings wanted Patrick Robinson
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 23, 2010 9:50 AM ET
Last year around this time, Vikings coach Brad Childress crowed about snatching Percy Harvin one pick before the Patriots, who Childress believed was set to take him.

This year, Childress and Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman may have outsmarted themselves.

Both Judd Zuldad and Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune report that the Vikings traded down to No. 34 with the hope of selecting Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson.

It looked like a safe move, but Saints surprised the Vikings (and everyone else) by taking a cornerback at No. 32.

With Minnesota's apparent favorite target off the board, a trade down early in the second round seems even more likely.

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Vikes would have had Robinson at 30 if they'd looked at my 1st Round Mock.

Do they take Clausen at 34, or does Favre have veto power?

pbmax
04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
What exactly does Jerry Jones know and when did he know it?

Said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones of WR Dez Bryant's issues with punctuality, "We had a president that couldn't get there on time a lot, Bill Clinton. Seriously. But boy, when he got there, he brought the wood."

pbmax
04-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Spielman says there are four players they like left.

http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Spielman_4_players_possible_at_34_with_more_deals_ possible

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Jacksonville's reach for Alualu may have something to do with the fact they don't have a 2nd round pick. Having failed to trade down, assuming they wanted to, they had to take him in the 1st if they really wanted him.

Here's the picks left per team: http://www.gbnreport.com/picksbyteam.html

mngolf19
04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

They won't trade any farther I don't think, and definitely won't go Clausen. I see them going Mays, Brown, Saffold. And if McCoy is still there at 62....

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
What exactly does Jerry Jones know and when did he know it?

Said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones of WR Dez Bryant's issues with punctuality, "We had a president that couldn't get there on time a lot, Bill Clinton. Seriously. But boy, when he got there, he brought the wood."

Freaking JJ. :lol:

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Just when I thought Mel Kiper has completely lost his marbles, he gives us Terrence Cody in his updated round 2 mock.

Has any mock draft pick ever made less sense?

Tony Oday
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
LenDale White is available...any thoughts?

packers11
04-23-2010, 03:25 PM

NO!!!

We need a scat back, i'm tired of slow RB's... We already have Grant / Jackson / Green... None with top notch speed...

steve823
04-23-2010, 03:33 PM

NO!!!

We need a scat back, i'm tired of slow RB's... We already have Grant / Jackson / Green... None with top notch speed...

He's a great back, especially on the goal line. Thing is we don't need him. We need a smaller, quick change of pace back.

digitaldean
04-23-2010, 04:26 PM

NO!!!

There's a reason why he's called "LenWhale" ....

Sparkey
04-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Buluga had a thyroid infection, and it has tested fine since treatment. Doesn't sound like the kind of condition that would require radiation or removal. Though, I have never heard of a thyroid infection.

De Quervain's Thyroiditis
De Quervain's thyroiditis (also called subacute or granulomatous thyroiditis) was first described in 1904 and is much less common than Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The thyroid gland generally swells rapidly and is very painful and tender. The gland discharges thyroid hormone into the blood and the patients become hyperthyroid; however, the gland quits taking up iodine (radioactive iodine uptake is very low), and the hyperthyroidism generally resolves over the next several weeks.
Patients frequently become ill with fever and prefer to be in bed.
Thyroid antibodies are not present in the blood, but the sedimentation rate (which measures inflammation) is very high.
Although this type of thyroiditis resembles an infection within the thyroid gland, no infectious agent has ever been identified, and antibiotics are of no use.
Treatment is usually bed rest and aspirin to reduce inflammation.
Occasionally cortisone (steroids, which reduce inflammation) and thyroid hormone (to "rest" the thyroid gland) may be used in prolonged cases.
Nearly all patients recover, and the thyroid gland returns to normal after several weeks or months.
A few patients will become hypothyroid once the inflammation settles down and therefore will need to stay on thyroid hormone replacement indefinitely.
Recurrences are uncommon.

Sparkey
04-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Interesting Blip in JS

Supposedly, he has bad knees. Bone on bone and needs microfracture surgery. If so, I understand why he slid and I could see him slide into round three. At that point, the risk is not as great.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Greets!

OS PA
04-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Rastak. To trade or not to trade? That is the question. Will you be disappointed if Clausen is drafted in the #33 slot one pick before the Vikings? Do you want them to draft one of the two QB's? Or who are you looking for in this pick? Mays, Kindle?

Rastak
04-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Early word, Rams don't like any offered deals. If the Vikes do not want Clausen or McCoy then they should auction off their pick....then grab a CB.

falco
04-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Greets!

Hi Ras!

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 04:59 PM
And here we go.....Are the Rams going to trade down?

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Early word, Rams don't like any offered deals. If the Vikes do not want Clausen or McCoy then they should auction off their pick....then grab a CB.

They should take McCoy.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Rastak. To trade or not to trade? That is the question. Will you be disappointed if Clausen is drafter in the #33 slot one pick before the Vikings? Do you want them to draft one of the two QB's? Or who are you looking for in this pick? Mays, Kindle?

I would take Clausen so I'd be a bit disappointed but not devastated if they traded down. Grab Cook or Ghee.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Greets!

Hi Ras!

Hello Falco.

Early word no Rams deal but I bet they do trade down.

falco
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Greets!

Hi Ras!

Hello Falco.

Early word no Rams deal but I bet they do trade down.

I don't have cable so I appreciate the updates!

OS PA
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
These next two days are where Championships are made. I am looking for the Pack to stay put and draft for need in the 2nd. No trading down to gather more picks, we already have solid depth. I'd be interested to see if Belicheat would take our 1st next year and a 4th this year for his 3 2nd rounders.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm on it unless the wife kicks me out.

7 mins on the clock per pick....Rams on the clock.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Prediction: Rams select Aurrellious(sp?) Benn

falco
04-23-2010, 05:05 PM

the northern lights??? :?:

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 05:08 PM

the northern lights??? :?:

WR from Illinois. I have no idea how to spell his name.

falco
04-23-2010, 05:09 PM
I hope Thompson takes J-Will from Tulane in the 4th.

Brohm
04-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Saffold to St.L

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Rams take: Saffold

Analysis
Pass blocking: Uses his athleticism and strength to get out in front of rush ends and hold them off to protect the quarterback's blind side. Strong punch and extends fully to push his man off his path. Has a wide base and strong anchor, rarely getting pushed back. Deep angle in his kick slide. Good recovery after a misstep and doesn't give up the inside lane. Needs to keep his feet moving after initial contact, as he will let up a bit. Wide ends give him a bit of trouble with their quickness; he will lunge instead of continuing his lateral movement.

Run blocking: Explodes from his stance as a run blocker. Turns his man out of the hole, even jumping inside the tackle to do so. Effective combo blocker, reaching inside to get a hand on the tackle while holding off smaller ends on the backside of plays. Give good effort to knock out backside chasers on run plays or when the quarterback scrambles. Gets off balance when drive blocking at times, and needs to work on hitting his man's numbers.

Pulling/trapping: Not asked to trap or pull often. Would need to show the quick feet behind the line needed to succeed, but certainly has the strength and flexibility to take out and sustain against targets between the tackles.

Initial Quickness: Shows excellent quickness and explosion off the snap. Jumps inside to take on tackles, explodes into his man on run blocks and gets the angle quickly on defensive ends in pass protection.

Downfield: Moves in space well despite a larger build. Does not let go once on top of a linebacker at the second level. Surprising agility and flexibility to adjust to players coming hard from the inside or outside.

Intangibles: Vocal leader willing to get into teammates, but also there to congratulate them on a big play. Plays with a mean streak through the whistle, does not back down from a challenge thrown down by a defender.

TheCheese
04-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know the draft better than Mayock? The dude calls everything very accurately.

OS PA
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Good pick. Build that line before you build anything else. They need help everywhere, so why not start with the second most important position on the offense.

Rastak
Surprised the Rams didn;t trade down.....do the Vikes?

Cook here?
QB?
Price DL?

Freak Out
Saffold to St.L

Smart pick.

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 05:13 PM

Cook here?
QB?
Price DL?

I'm tellin ya....McCoy to groom behind Favre.

Rastak

Cook here?
QB?
Price DL?

I like McCoy.

OS PA
If I were the Vikings, I would write Jimmy on the card in the first 10 seconds, and then take a picture of it and send the picture to the Bills, Browns, and 49ers. Wait until 10 seconds left and turn in the card if they don't find a trade partner.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Cook here?
QB?
Price DL?

There will be no grooming. The old man would ignore him.

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Cook here?
QB?
Price DL?

There will be no grooming. The old man would ignore him.

:lol: Coaches are the groomers.

green_bowl_packer
Does anyone know the draft better than Mayock? The dude calls everything very accurately.

He called that one!

Rastak
Vikes take: Chris Cook

No huge surprise here.

Analysis
Read & React: A step slow reacting to the play if he doesn't see it coming. Keeps his head on a swivel and will sneak a peek at the quarterback. Isn't able to generate the quick burst to close on the ball -- has long legs and only marginal foot quickness. Allows too many easy receptions. Does not possess the second gear to catch up when beaten vertically.

Man Coverage: Good hands for press coverage. Provides a stout initial pop and has the flexibility to turn and run with receivers. Strong, active hands to keep the receiver close throughout the early route. Doesn't have the flexibility and quick feet to mirror receivers, but is faster than he looks and is able to cheat back to the ball.

Zone Coverage: High backpedal, but has a smooth enough swivel to change direction. Good vision and route recognition for zone coverage. Reads the passer to make up for his lack of preferred burst.

Closing/Recovery: Has only marginal burst to make up ground quickly, though he does have at least moderate straight-line speed. Locates the ball and takes proper angles. Quick hands and good hand-eye coordination to knock away passes. Good size, body control and timing to compete for jump balls. Good ball skills. Best when facing the quarterback and some will grade him as a potential safety.

Run Support: Good size and strength to fight through blocks and make tackles in run support, but has to show more consistency. Doesn't use his hands well enough to disengage and prefers to elude blocks. Questionable toughness for the transition to safety.

Tackling: Generally reliable drag-down tackler. Good strength and long arms for the wrap-up stop. Isn't the physical defender his size would indicate. Too often is the nail, rather than the hammer, catching the ballcarrier and hanging on rather than driving through the ballcarrier. Lowers his head, which can lead to missed tackles. Good hustle downfield.

Intangibles: Twice suspended for academics while at Virginia, missing the 2008 Gator Bowl at the end of the 2007 season and the entire 2008 season. Considered leaving early for the NFL draft, but instead returned and emerged as a team leader in 2009. Voted a team captain in '09.

falco
Would have liked Cook to go to GB, but I think we're deeper at CB than most think.

swede
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Excellent pick for the Vikes. I hope he sucks.

Brando19
Chris Cook...Vikes know they need corners to try to contain Rodgers.

TheCheese
Great pick by the Vikes.

Rastak
Would have liked Cook to go to GB, but I think we're deeper at CB than most think.

Kirwin said the Vikes had him ranked as #3 best CB. They tried to get Wilson but Jets took him.

Lurker64
04-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Any word on whether Cook is going to be a FS or a CB in Minnesota? He can probably play either position, and the Vikings secondary is full of employment opportunities.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Great pick by the Vikes.

Cook has his issues, namely in run-support. This is one of those boom or bust type picks.

edit: I wish I had NFLN. ESPN blows the goat :(

OS PA
04-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Surprised with the speed of that pick. Just like nobody thought that teams would trade as much as they did in the first round, do you think that that everyone is wrong about the amount of trades that are going to happen in this first 12 picks?

Chris Cook doesn't scare me yet, don't think he'll start for you, but he is good depth and does bode well for the future of your secondary. The NFC North is a quarterback division :wink: afterall.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Any word on whether Cook is going to be a FS or a CB in Minnesota? He can probably play either position, and the Vikings secondary is full of employment opportunities.

Probably CB. 6'2, good size decent enough speed.

green_bowl_packer
04-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Great pick by the Vikes.

Cook has his issues, namely in run-support. This is one of those boom or bust type picks.

edit: I wish I had NFLN. ESPN blows the goat :(l

nfl.com has it online.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Bucs take: Price

Analysis
Pass rush: Flashes a quick initial burst to slide through gaps and create havoc in the backfield. Varies his speed and surprises pass blockers with his burst and variety of hand techniques, including a classic rip and swim. Excellent use of leverage and strength for the bull rush. Can push the pass blocker deep into the pocket and disengage to make the play. Only adequate balance and agility to change direction. Has to do a better job protecting his knees against cut blocks. Spends too much time on the ground. Possesses very good short-area quickness, but taps out quickly and can become a lumbering bear if he has to chase the quarterback. Short arms and will struggle to disengage once the tackle locks him out. Marginal height and effort to get his hands up in the passing lanes, knocking down only one pass a year.

Run defense: Tough to move off the line of scrimmage with his low center of gravity and great strength. Creates a pile in the middle and can make the play without making the tackle. Anchors well against the double team and has the quick feet to split it and make the tackle. Good use of hands to shed. Locates the ball quickly, but is inconsistent with his balance to re-direct in time to make the play. Spends too much time on the ground. Adequate hustle in pursuit laterally, but tires quickly and provides little in terms of chasing downfield.

Explosion: Arguably his greatest asset. Has an explosive burst to penetrate through the gap. Good explosive jolt with his hands to knock a blocker backward.

Strength: Good use of strength in his upper and lower body to push the pocket as a bull rusher. Good lower-body strength to anchor in short-yardage situations. Good strength for the drag-down tackle while still engaged with a blocker.

Tackling: Good strength for the drag-down tackle while still engaged, but makes many of his stops by lunging at ballcarriers at the line of scrimmage. Has very good short-area quickness, but lacks the balance to break down in space consistently against elusive ballcarriers. Too often beats blocks to get into the backfield only to be eluded by ballcarriers.

Intangibles: Grew up in notorious South Central Los Angeles and attended Crenshaw High School. Has dealt with personal tragedy -- two of his brothers were shot and killed. Was forced to sit out the first three games of his freshman season due to paperwork issues with the NCAA.

wist43
04-23-2010, 05:22 PM

We're deep at CB??? Did I miss something??? :shock:

Lee's a bust, Harris is very iffy... Underwood has upside, Williams is a solid #3. You need 4 solid corners and at least 1 developing, or 3 solid and 2 or 3 developing IMO... the Packers have Woodson, and after that??? gaps and question marks.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Great pick by the Vikes.

nfl.com has it online.

thanks, I had no idea.

falco
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Yup. I think Harris most likely comes back healthy, but even if he doesn't Woodson and Williams can be the starting tandem and I'm confident that either Lee or Underwood can become the nickel back this year.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Cheifs take Clausen with the Weis connection?

imscott72

Lee's a bust, Harris is very iffy... Underwood has upside, Williams is a solid #3. You need 4 solid corners and at least 1 developing, or 3 solid and 2 or 3 developing IMO... the Packers have Woodson, and after that??? gaps and question marks.

We're not deep at CB. We need one imo..

imscott72

I bet they do..

falco
You need 4 solid corners and at least 1 developing

Not many teams have 4 solid corners.

TennesseePackerBacker
I can't believe there are still people in the green room. Is anyone left over from day one(Sergio Kindle?)? Or did they invite new people?

Freak Out
04-23-2010, 05:25 PM

How old is the QB they traded for last year?

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:25 PM

How old is the QB they traded for last year?

Young but you can always trade one or hedge your bets.

OS PA
04-23-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm wondering whether Clausen is the next qb picked, or does McCoy sneak in there too. I don't understand why they don't like Cassel anymore in KC.

green_bowl_packer
04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Who do we grab as our scat back now that McCluster looks like he's gone?

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Cheifs take McCuster:

Analysis
Release: Good lateral agility to elude the defender at the line and has the straight-line speed to demand respect. Though he's much stronger than his size would indicate, he's reliant upon his lateral agility to gain a clean release, as he is lacking in hand placement and technique as a receiver.

Hands: Good hands to pluck the ball outside of his frame. Can track the ball over his shoulder and is quick to secure the pass and look for additional yardage. Good making adjustments to poorly throw passes but struggles when attempting to catch in traffic.

Route running: Isn't asked to run a variety of pro-style routes within this offense. Flashes excellent quickness, but is only a marginal route-runner despite his athleticism.

After the catch: Elusive and has the acceleration and top-end speed to run away from defenders if he gets in the open field. Good vision and sets up his blocks nicely with the ability to burst through a small gap. Versatile threat capable of contributing as a runner, receiver and returner.

Blocking: Pesky blocker who provides good effort and is stronger than he looks but lacks great bulk. Gives good effort downfield to chip when a teammate breaks into the open.

Intangibles: Good toughness as an interior runner and will be viewed as a running back prospect by some. The results of McCluster's medical reports from the Combine could prove critical in his final draft grade. He missed six games in 2006 due to a shoulder injury involving nerve damage and another four games in 2007 due to re-injuring the same shoulder in the preseason. Has great toughness, but will struggle to hold up to the physical pounding of the NFL as a running back. Experienced punt and kick returner.

NFL Comparison: Sinorice Moss, Giants

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Surprised they passed on Tate.....surprised there isn't many trade either.....

steve823
04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I wonder if Kindle falls past the Dolphins...

imscott72
04-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Jets do..

green_bowl_packer
04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Great pick by the Vikes.

nfl.com has it online.

thanks, I had no idea.

Everybody needs some Mayock!!!

OS PA
Here is Taylor Mays.

Freak Out
Eagle take one of the QBs with this to replace DM?

Rastak
He should be gone shortly......(Kindle)

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Nate Allen is what NFLN just said......

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Eagles take: Nate Allen

Analysis
Read & React: Comes downhill to attack tight ends between the linebackers. Reacts quickly when a corner is in trouble and has the speed to catch free receivers from the opposite hash. A step slow to pick up misdirection and bootlegs but recovers nicely; still typically makes the play a few yards downfield.

Man Coverage: Good straight-line speed and fair change of direction abilities, but struggles to stay with receivers downfield when lining up in the slot, as you would expect from a safety. Slow, high, choppy backpedal. Should match up well against NFL tight ends in the flat.

Zone Coverage: Good range to get from the hash to the sideline on deep throws. Good height and vertical to win jump balls. Solid last line of defense, bringing his hips to stop receivers in their tracks. Will pound a receiver over the middle. Will take incorrect angles to the sideline at times, relying on his speed too often. Makes quarterbacks pay for underthrown balls, stepping in to make the interception more often than not.

Closing/Recovery: Will get to the ball when it's in the air, knocking the receiver or the ball to the ground. Doesn't always take correct angles when the play is in front of him, but has the speed to recover - preventing a big play from becoming huge.

Run Support: When allowed to attack the line, Allen is an explosive, reliable in-the-box tackler. Good last line of defense to prevent breakaway runs. Will add himself to the pile and push back the runner to prevent the extra yard. Not physical enough to get off tight end blocks on the edge. Gets sucked in too far on runs, failing to keep the runner from getting the sideline.

Tackling: Generally a secure tackler in the secondary. Gives good effort, and many times is the second man in on a tackle. Gets frozen and loses battles against elusive running backs in the open field. Played a lot of deep Cover-2, and played behind an active front seven - leading to fewer opportunities for tackles in 2008. Aggressiveness and secure tackling; will be a solid special teams player at the next level.

Intangibles: Very good student. Sets the defense on the field. Loves the game; works hard on and off the field to improve.

NFL Comparison: Brodney Pool, Browns

imscott72
04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
There goes another safety..

steve823

Jets do..

No they don't. They have Revis, Cromartie (jury still out on him), and now Wilson... after that it drops

Rastak

Mays might be there at 56.....

TennesseePackerBacker
Damn, I really liked Nate Allen. The Packers really need a pass rusher for #2 though. Does Ted pick for need at 2? Or BPA?

OS PA
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Nate Allen is what NFLN just said......

NFLN seems to be faster than ESPN today.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Browns up.......McCoy or Clausen? It has to be, right?

Joemailman
04-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Clausen or McCoy here?

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Clausen or McCoy here?

How can they not grab one?

TennesseePackerBacker
04-23-2010, 05:37 PM

What about a trade? No reason for dis-information when you're on the clock. Every indication is they won't take a QB here.

OS PA

McCoy, I hate to believe the Walrus, but when he said he wished he liked Clausen more, I believed him.

I have been wrong ALOT over the past 24 hours though.

Lurker64
Nate Allen is a much better safety than Taylor Mays, good pick by the Iggles.

imscott72

Mays might be there at 56.....

I'd be shocked, but happy..Of course if we picked him..

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:38 PM

McCoy, I hate to believe the Walrus, but when he said he wished he liked Clausen more, I believed him.

I have been wrong ALOT over the past 24 hours though.

Vikes obviously felt the same.........pick is in......who is it?

OS PA
TJ Ward - Another safety gone.

pbmax
Just so you know, the TV crews get the pick in advance so the can have the graphics ready to run.

Rastak
04-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Jim Brown, yea baby!

RashanGary
04-23-2010, 05:39 PM
We definitely need a corner.

I think the Vikings badly wanted Chris Cook to match up against Finley, Olson and Calvin Johnson.

imscott72
04-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Wow!

Tony Oday
Just wow...

falco
Maybe we should sign Jim Brown to help motivate lazy old Ryan Grant this year?

Rastak
Browns take: TJ Ward......wtf?

Analysis
Read & React: Quick to diagnose the action. Closes quickly in run support and is an intimidating hitter over the middle who times his hits just as the ball arrives, resulting in some of his more impressive pass breakups. Aggressive and can be beaten deep over the top against good play-action.

Man Coverage: Former cornerback with experience dropping down to shadow the slot receiver. Bit high in his backpedal. Has to gather himself a bit, but accelerates quickly and has good straight-line speed for safety. Only adequate hands for the interception.

Zone Coverage: Instinctive and experienced in zone coverage. Reads the quarterback's eyes and reacts quickly. May lack the speed to cover as a true centerfielder.

Closing/Recovery: Among his better traits. Reads the action and has a quick burst to accelerate. Seems more interested in timing his leap for the violent collision than to go for the interception. Only three career interceptions and never more than one in a season.

Run Support: Despite a lack of preferred size, this is one of Ward's stronger areas; a reason some will view him as a better fit at strong safety rather than free in the NFL. Quick to read run. Good agility to elude blockers, but willing to take them on and shows good, explosive hands to disengage. Can break down in space to make the effective open-field tackle against elusive athletes. Fearless. Will take on and take down the bigger ballcarrier.

Tackling: Explosive hitter who can be a truly intimidating force over the middle and in run support. Closes downhill quickly. Likes to lead with his shoulder and explode into the ballcarrier. Has nearly twice as many forced fumbles (five) as interceptions (three) over his career. Though known for his explosive hits, is also a reliable wrap-up tackler in the open field. Runs through the ballcarrier by bringing his hips. Standout special teams performer on kickoff duty.

Intangibles: Former walk-on approaches each game with a chip on his shoulder. Standout special teams player. Very strong; equaled the program's best power clean lift ever (330 pounds) among defensive backs during 2008 winter testing, in addition to posting the position's top squat mark (495 pounds). Has a history of injury. Missed nearly half of his senior season with an ankle injury. Recurring knee injuries in 2006 which kept him off the field for nearly the entire season despite his earning a starting position as a redshirt freshman. Was dropped by many recruiters due to a season-ending knee injury in 2004.