PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Live Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Ugh, talking about NE surrounding Brady with talent. :(

Does anybody other than me get the feeling is that NE is dying and all this is a last-ditch effort to pull out one or two more Super Bowls before they sink back into obscurity?

You make that sound like a bad thing. I would have thought the Pack would do that for Favre too.

Rubbing salt in the wound golf?

:o

falco

Does anybody other than me get the feeling is that NE is dying and all this is a last-ditch effort to pull out one or two more Super Bowls before they sink back into obscurity?'

On one hand, yes. On the other, a team that was that close to another super bowl last year with no name receivers now just added one.

GrnBay007

Does anybody other than me get the feeling is that NE is dying and all this is a last-ditch effort to pull out one or two more Super Bowls before they sink back into obscurity?

You make that sound like a bad thing. I would have thought the Pack would do that for Favre too.

Yeah, you woulda thought.

ND72
by the way, it was on the espn radio that randy Moss "refused" to go for a physical if he was Traded to Green Bay, and only agreed to redoing a contract with only New England. So in the long run, it was Moss, NOT wanting to come here (if reports are true)

Fosco33
Moss passed the physical.

Well there's a surprise. I'd have never seen that coming...

Awh, come on - it's just the details. Life's in the details you know.

What do you think so far, MJ? Are you drinking the koolaid?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Lions go OL

Manuel Ramirez
OG | (6'3", 326, 5.24) | TEXAS TECH

Scouts Grade: 58 Selected by: Detroit Lions
Round: 4
Pick (Overall): 18(117)

Strengths: Possesses excellent overall size. Adequate height for a guard and he is thickly built with great bulk. He is a workout warrior. Shows good upper body power and plays with a mean streak. Is able to jar defenders when he gets a clean hand punch. Plays with a wide base and is able to anchor versus powerful bull rushers. He has great experience in pass pro but he is a more effective run blocker. At his best when working in the phone booth. He uses his wide frame to engulf defenders at the point of attack in the running game. He fights to finish and rarely loses a one-on-one battle if he's in position. A hard worker in the weight room and also a very durable player to this point.

Weaknesses: Comes from a unique spread-offense system, so his learning curve could be steeper than most. While quick for his size, he is lacking in athletic ability. He will wear down late in games and has a tendency to become lazy. He needs to do a more consistent job with his blocking angles and he will struggle to hit the moving target in space on occasion. Also has limitations in pass protection. He plays stiff and will overextend too frequently. He is susceptible to the double-move by athletic pass rushers. Arms are shorter than ideal.

Overall: Ramirez was redshirted in 2002 and then started 10 games for the Red Raiders in 2003. He was a fulltime starter throughout Texas Tech's 12-game season in 2004 and he started 11 of the 12 games he played in as a junior in 2005. As a side note, Ramirez broke his own school record by bench pressing 550 pounds during spring practice in 2005. Ramirez was a fulltime starter at right guard as a senior in 2006, missing one game (Iowa State) due to an undisclosed injury.
Ramirez is an experienced offensive guard prospect with adequate short-area quickness to go along with his outstanding size. He displays exceptional strength in the weight-room but unfortunately it doesn't always transfer to the football field. Ramirez lacks great balance and he failed to show improvement in his technique as a senior. Furthermore, he will have a big adjustment to make as an NFL player coming from Texas Tech's spread offensive attack. As such, Ramirez should grade out no higher than a fourth round prospect in the 2007 class.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

MJZiggy
Still going guard.

TennesseePackerBacker
H.B. Blades is still out there, man there are still some players, think he has character issues though.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm not talking the "back in 5 years" type of obscurity. I'm talking the "back in 30 years" type of obscurity. I'd rather be winning again 5 years from now rather than in 2026

Bub
where is ne getting the money for all of these people? they've been spending some loot.

what are they going to do with all of their wrs? stall, welker, that guy with big eyes, moss, jackson....?

HarveyWallbangers
One of these years, TT is going to own the entire 7th round all by himself. :? :shock:

I've thought about this. If you had no picks in round 1-7 and had all 7th round picks last year, you would have hit on 3 solid starters last year (and some decent backups)--which is considered a good draft. Many years it's better than that.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok TT, actually pick someone this time.

MJZiggy
that guy with big eyes, ....?

Lol.

mngolf19

Rubbing salt in the wound golf?

:o

Really I was serious. But I see your point. Sorry if anyone took offense.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Panthers go WR

Pack on the clock again.....

Ryne Robinson
WR | (5'9", 179, 4.47) | MIAMI (OHIO)

Scouts Grade: 46

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position Selected by: Carolina Panthers
Pick (Overall): 19(118)

Strengths: Is a quicker than fast slot-receiver prospect with value as a potential contributor in the return game. Explodes out of cuts and can change directions quickly so has the potential to develop into a crisp short-to-intermediate rout-runner. Reaches top-speed quickly, possesses good vision and is dangerous after the catch. Possesses good hands, shows good focus while the ball is in the air and doesn't drop many passes that should catch. Has good body control and can adjust to balls thrown outside of frame. Has experience returning kicks as well as punts, quickly locates seams in the coverage and is an elusive open field runner that can make an immediate impact in the return game.

Weaknesses: Though he tracks the ball well when running downfield, he lacks elite top-end speed and will struggle to get behind NFL corners. Lacks ideal bulk, doesn't have great upper body strength and can get pushed around by physical corners. Doesn't use hands all that well and is going to have problems getting a clean release working against press coverage. Doesn't play with a mean streak and isn't a physical blocker.

Overall: Robinson saw action in all 14 games as a true freshman in 2003 as a backup wide receiver and kick returner. He finished the season with 28 receptions for 468 yards (16.7 average) and two touchdowns, and returned 38 punts for 654 yards (17.2 average) and three touchdowns. In 2004, Robinson played in all 13 games as a starting wide receiving, caught 64 passes for 932 yards(14.6 average), and scored four touchdowns. He also returned 39 punts for 547 yards (14 average) and two touchdowns, and eight kickoffs for 135 yards (16.9 average). Robinson started all 11 games in 2005 catching 75 passes for 1,119 yards (14.9 average) and eight touchdowns. He continued to contribute as a returner with 26 punt returns for 301 yards (11.6 average) and one touchdown. Robinson notched 91 catches for 1,178 yards (12.9 average) and eight TD's as a senior in 2006 after starting all 12 games. For his career, Robinson also carried the ball 25 times for 122 yards (4.88 average).
Robinson is undersized and he isn't going to outrun defenders like he did at the collegiate level. However, he is a tough and instinctive receiver with good route running skills and reliable hands. He also has value in the return game. As such, Robinson is a bit underrated and is worth the risk fifth-round range of the 2007 draft.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
TT on the clock....

TennesseePackerBacker
04-29-2007, 11:10 AM
you have to be kidding me, ESPN breaks for commercial every time the Pack is on the clock.

Bub
that guy with big eyes, ....?

Lol.

that guy that sucked in the playoffs...Reche

he just looked funny

hurleyfan
I hate ESPN!

MadtownPacker
I hope moss dies!!!

No I am not kidding.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 11:11 AM
you have to be kidding me, ESPN breaks for commercial every time the Pack is on the clock.

They did that yesterday for both the 2nd and 3rd round picks. It's utterly ridiculous. That's 3 rounds in a row then.

My guess. Packers take Sid Finch.

mngolf19
04-29-2007, 11:11 AM

They did that yesterday for both the 2nd and 3rd round picks. It's utterly ridiculous. That's 3 rounds in a row then.

My guess. Packers take Sid Finch.

He is available. :)

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I hope moss dies!!!

No I am not kidding.

:bs:

MJZiggy
Moss passed the physical.

Well there's a surprise. I'd have never seen that coming...

Awh, come on - it's just the details. Life's in the details you know.

What do you think so far, MJ? Are you drinking the koolaid?

I wasn't giving you a hard time, it's just with all the talk about his offseason training...

Forget the kool-aid this morning. I'm into the chocolate. Later it will be the bottle of rum, but I can add a little fruit punch flavor kool-aid to it.

BallHawk
Solid pick. It's Barbe.

TennesseePackerBacker
Nice, we picked up Barbre I remember seeing about him.

HarveyWallbangers
Why would the Seahawks trade their best WR to a team in their division?

mmmdk
Allen Barbre OT

Bub
weren't some of you guys all up Patrick's ass a few days ago?

Scott Campbell
Will this guy play behind Cliffy or Tausher?

ND72
I believe I called the Barbre pick for green bay a few weeks ago.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Allen Barbre
OT | (6'4", 300, 4.84) | MISSOURI SOUTHERN

Scouts Grade: 66

Strengths: Shows a quick first step and can beat defenders to the point of attack. Plays with a mean streak and works to the whistle. Takes sound angles to blocks, generally plays under control in space and can get into position at the second level. Shows good range, can get around the corner when asked to pull and is big enough to engulf linebackers. Shows good lateral mobility when run blocking ands can reach defenders lined up outside him. Gets into pass set quickly and can ride edge rushers past the pocket when extends arms.

Weaknesses: Plays with a narrow base, loses balance at times and has some problems sustaining blocks. Lacks ideal lower body strength, frequently plays too high and is going to have problems driving defenders off the ball. While has quick feet and flashes the ability to redirect in pass protection footwork is somewhat inconsistent, struggles to change directions quickly and is vulnerable to double moves. Bends at the waist rather than the knees and can get pushed back into the pocket. Played at a small school and there is some concern about ability to make the jump to the NFL.

Overall: Babre began the 2003 campaign as a reserve but moved into the starting lineup for the final six contests of his true freshman season, including the last five games at left tackle. In 2004, he did not play in the season opener and did not start the second game, but then regained his starting job for the rest of the year. Babre started all 10 games at left tackle in 2005 and was named to the All-MIAA first-team. In 2006, Barbre once again started every game (11) at left tackle earning multiple Division II All-American accolades.
Barbre is a small-school prospect who has the natural ability to develop into a contributor at guard and/or tackle in the NFL. He is a bit undersized and has the mobility to fit a scheme such as the Colts or Broncos. That said; he needs to get stronger at the point of attack and refine his technique. Following a tremendous showing at the combine, Barbre projects as an early-Day 2 pick.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
No winners.....

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Good pick. They need depth there, and I really liked this kid for our team while researching.

Nice! Except for Jones, every one of our picks has been a guy that I liked better than projections.

Wallbanger's OG Rankings:

1. BEN GRUBBS
2. JUSTIN BLALOCK
3. ARRON SEARS
4. ANDY ALLEMAN
5. ALLEN BARBRE
6. DAN SANTUCCI
7. MANUEL RAMIREZ
8. MARSHAL YANDA
9. JOSH BEEKMAN
10. JULIUS WILSON

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 11:14 AM
No winners.....

At least I came close...

pittstang5
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
WOW! I thought this would be a good guy for the PAck. TT actually took a player that I like and know. Woo who!

TennesseePackerBacker
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Nice pick, just sounds like he needs to be coached up on technique and hit the weight room. You can re-teach technique, you can't teach a guy to play hard to the whistle and play nasty.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Minny on the clock.

Tarlam!
No winners.....

At least I came close...

He's listed as an O Tackle, not a guard......

Rastak
DE to Hawks....

Baraka Atkins
DE | (6'4", 271, 4.69) | MIAMI (FLA.)

Scouts Grade: 66

Flags: (M: MENTAL) Does not retain and learn the system

Strengths: Versatile defensive lineman with experience at DE, DT and NT in a 4-3 scheme. Possesses very good agility for his size. He fires out of his stance with excellent quickness and leverage. Shows the initial burst to consistently penetrate inside. He is very quick and powerful in the short-area. He can penetrate, find the ball quickly and redirect seamlessly when he wants to. An explosive tackler with good power. He displays good power moves as a pass rusher. Does a nice job of standing the offensive lineman up with an initial power move, and then change directions once his opponent is off-balance. He has had some nicks throughout his career but for the most part he has been durable. Also has great experience at the highest level.

Weaknesses: His motor runs hot and cold. He can get lazy on the field and will take too many plays off. Is undersized as a fulltime defensive tackle prospect. Lacks the bulk and base to hold up as an every-down player inside. Also lacks top-end speed and athleticism as an edge rusher. He is quick enough to penetrate along the interior but he lacks the first-step quickness and closing burst to generate consistent pressure at DE. Marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

Overall: Atkins received a redshirt in 2002. He returned as a redshirt freshman in 2003, played in all 13 games (12 starts), and collected 43 total tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, five sacks, and three forced fumbles. Atkins started all 12 games in 2004 splitting time between defensive end and defensive tackle. For the year he made 33 total tackles, nine tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and two forced fumbles (returning one for a touchdown). In 2005, Atkins played in all 12 games with 11 starts (did not start vs. Clemson; sprained knee) at defensive tackle and registered 26 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, five sacks, and two forced fumbles. Atkins appeared in all 12 games in 2006 at defensive end and finished with 37 tackles, eight tackles for loss, four sacks, and two fumble recoveries.
Atkins saw significant playing time both inside and outside during his collegiate career. He will never be an impact edge rusher and he lacks the size to stack up inside as a fulltime defensive tackle in the NFL. However, he could fit as a 3-4 defensive end or play a hybrid end/tackle role in a 4-3 scheme. Regardless, Atkins displays the physical tools to make an impact in the NFL. The trick is motivating him to play his best at all times. After getting benched for poor effort early on as a senior, Atkins got the message and became very productive during the second-half of the 2006 season. If he carries over that same type of motor to the next level he could enjoy a productive career. Unfortunately for him, it was too little too late. Atkins is too much of a risk-reward prospect for NFL teams to consider selecting prior to the third round of the 2007 draft.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Allen Barbre
Height: 6-4
Weight: 300
Position: Offensive Tackle/Guard
College: Missouri Southern State

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a developing frame with room to add at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in his impressive quickness … Has a thick upper body, with broad shoulders, thick calves, solid midsection, long arms, large hands, big bubble and natural strength … Comes out of his stance with outstanding explosion to shock a lethargic defender … Has the loose hips to change direction and plays … Generates good force behind his hand punch to deliver pop on contact … Hard worker who might need several extra reps to retain plays, but spends extra hours in the film room watching tapes and in the weight room improving his overall strength … Can get to the second level quickly to cut or wall off, but needs to break down better and play under control … When he gets his hands into an opponent, he has the raw power to pull, jerk, lock on and drag down … Rolls his hips well to put more force behind his blocks working in-line … Is quick to react to movement and does a good job of shuffling his feet to mirror … Takes the defensive lineman where he wants to go and uses that momentum to wash out his opponent (needs to stop waist bending, though) … Plays with a strong base and solid effort, showing good foot movement in his pass set … Does a better job landing when pulling or on screens, but needs to play with better control working in the second level … When he slides his feet in pass protection, he plays with a wide base, but must be more conscious of keeping his pads down (gets too high in his stance at times) … Showed much better hand placement in 2006, sustaining his blocks longer once he learned to keep his hands inside the frame … Can beat a defender off the edge with his explosive initial step … Generally takes good angles on the short pull and has the lateral mobility to work down the line … Does a nice job of communicating with his guard on double teams.

Negatives: Has good field vision, but is just a marginal student and needs more than several reps to retain plays … Fires off the ball with good urgency, but will get out of control and start taking wild whiffs when he shoots his hands outside the frame … Can simply flatten opponents when he keeps his pads down, but he will get too tall in his stance and bend at the waist (has good knee bend, but doesn't do it consistently) … When he fails to open his hips properly, he will fall off some blocks in space … Needs to get better fits on the ground game (bad pad level), for despite his upper body power, he will revert to positioning and turning the defender rather than driving through … Must play with better control in the second level, as he fails to break down plays quickly … Has the natural slide agility, but will get pushed back by a strong bull rush when he gets too tall in his stance … When he over-sets with his hands, he struggles to recover (will also cross over with his feet at the Xs).

Compares To: Joe Berger, Dallas Cowboys … Barbre is a developing talent with outstanding quickness and good strength. He has the balance and nimble feet to fire out on the pulls and traps and shows a punishing hand jolt to impede the pass rusher's forward progress. He seems to lack that split-second decision making process and will get fooled on stunts, blitzes and twists, making him more suited for guard than tackle. He could use some more bulk on his frame and must learn to play with better control. When he fails to locate the second-level defenders, he starts throwing his hands around wildly, looking for something to hit. He needs to break down open working in space and while he showed improvement with his hand placement, he is prone to getting them outside his frame too much. He must also play at a lower pad level and use his knee bend better. With some patient coaching, he could develop. It is obvious the athletic talent and quick feet are there. Now, he needs to work on the mental aspect of the game.
INJURY REPORT

None available.
AGILITY TESTS

Campus: 4.94 in the 40-yard dash … 360-pound bench press … 33 ½-inch arm length … 10 ¼-inch hands … Right-handed … 11/18 Wonderlic score.

Combine: 4.88 in the 40-yard dash … 1.72 10-yard dash … 2.85 20-yard dash … 4.63 20-yard shuttle … 7.4 three-cone drill … 32-inch vertical jump … 8-foot-9 broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 28 times.
HIGH SCHOOL

Attended East Newton (Granby, Mo.) High School, playing football for head coach Larry Bunn … Standout two-way performer at tackle for the Patriots … Helped his team finish 9-2 and reach the sectional round of the Class 2A state playoffs as a senior … Named to the Missouri Class II All-State team … Earned All-Big Eight Conference honorable mention in basketball.
PERSONAL

Criminal Justice major … Son of Debbie Gerfen and John Barbre … Born June 22, 1984 in Neosho, Missouri.

mmmdk
Good pick. They need depth there, and I really liked this kid for our team while researching.

Nice! Except for Jones, every one of our picks has been a guy that I liked better than projections.

Wallbanger's OG Rankings:

1. BEN GRUBBS
2. JUSTIN BLALOCK
3. ARRON SEARS
4. ANDY ALLEMAN
5. ALLEN BARBRE
6. DAN SANTUCCI
7. MANUEL RAMIREZ
8. MARSHAL YANDA
9. JOSH BEEKMAN
10. JULIUS WILSON

Actually a great pick - I now like Harrell, Barbre and I'm beginning to warm on Brandon Jackson. Jackson can shift directions/make people miss tackles with the best but is he durable?

Rastak
Vikes traded down......

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Minny trades down.

wist43
Good 4th round value... I like the pick.

Tarlam!
Vikes traded down......

Details?

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Next up for us - Tight End. Or something.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM
Vikes traded down......

Details?

Not sure.....

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
From NFL.com's Gil Brandt:

(ranking is overall OG's)
4. Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern State (6-4, 300, 4.88)
Barbre had a complete workout at the Combine, running his two 40s in 4.84 and 4.92. He also recorded a 32-inch vertical jump, 8-foot-9 long jump, 4.63 short shuttle, 7.40 three-cone drill and 28 bench presses. Barbre was an offensive and defensive lineman at a very small high school and also played basketball. He played as a true freshman at Missouri Southern State, starting six games, including five at left tackle. He went on to start 31 games over the next three years. Barbre is a very good athlete and a hard worker. He was a force in Division II and has a lot of upside. He is tough and will get after you. He worked out well at the Combine and is a name to remember when he is starting for some team in 2009.

mngolf19
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I think MN traded for a player.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Broncos take.....

Marcus Thomas
DT | (6'2", 314, 4.97) | FLORIDA

Scouts Grade: 70

Flags: (C: CHARACTER) Problems on and off the field(D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy Selected by: Denver Broncos
Pick (Overall): 22(121)

Strengths: Explosive one-gap defensive tackle prospect. Possesses adequate-to-good height and the frame to continue to add bulk. Displays very good initial quickness and top-end speed for the position. Very mobile and active interior defender. Wins most battles with first-step quickness. Does a fine job of locating the ball once in the backfield. Shows outstanding change of direction skills and makes more plays in pursuit than most DT's at this level. He displays a powerful upper body. Is a productive pass rusher because of his initial burst and he can become even more effective with improved technique. He's quick and effective on stunts and twists. Displays the ability to collapse the pocket as a bull rusher. He also can contribute on special teams -- he blocked one field goal attempt and one extra point attempt in 2005.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size. He displays explosive initial power but lacks the wide base to consistently anchor versus the run. He will never be a good fit in a two-gap scheme. His motor runs hot and cold. Has some trouble getting off of blocks and must learn to do a better job with his hands. Also needs to add more pass rush moves to his repertoire. Struggles once reached as a pass rusher and also gets frustrated by the double team. Durability is somewhat of a concern after hernia surgery in April, 2006.

Overall: Thomas saw action in 12 games (two starts) as a true freshman in 2003, missed the LSU game with an ankle sprain, and finished the season with 47 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks. In 2004, he started all 12 games at defensive tackle making 39 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and 4.5 sacks. Thomas again started all 12 games during the 2005 season, recording 45 total tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, two forced fumbles, and two blocked kicks. In 2006, Thomas was dismissed from the Florida football team for "failing to meet responsibilities and obligations" just one month after he was reinstated from a two-game suspension due to a failed drug test (marijuana). He started four of the five games he played in last season and finished with 26 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, and four sacks.
Thomas is a disruptive interior defender with an outstanding blend of first-step quickness and power. He was playing the best football of his career prior to being kicked off the Florida football team eight games into his senior season. In fact, it was our opinion that Thomas had emerged as the top overall defensive tackle prospect in the 2007 senior class at midseason. However, it would come as no surprise if Thomas' off-the-field problems caused him to freefall to the second day of the draft. Thomas' durability issues and an inconsistent motor could also turn some teams off.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 11:22 AM
There goes Free.

Fritz
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
So is this guy Barbre a guard or a tackle fpor the Pack? Is he Clifton's eventual replacement or Tauscher's or will they move Colledge?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
To Cowboys.....

Doug Free
OT | (6'6", 324, 5.19) | NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Scouts Grade: 76 Selected by: Dallas Cowboys
Pick (Overall): 23(122)

Strengths: A tall offensive tackle with adequate bulk and even more room on his frame to get bigger. He does a good job with his first step and blocking angles in the running game. He shows outstanding quickness and mobility for his size. Is an agile offensive lineman with the ability to consistently reach the second-level and hit the moving target in the running game. He gives a great effort on every play and will impress you with his motor. He shows good quickness in his set and rarely will get beat by speed off the edge. He also plays with good balance and body control, which allows him to shuffle laterally versus double moves. Displays good awareness in pass pro, as well. He has great experience and has been a durable player throughout his career. He also has dominated the mid-major DI-A level for the last two seasons.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and will struggle to anchor versus bigger, more powerful bull rushers. Base is somewhat narrow and he must learn to play with more consistent leverage. He has adequate-to-good overall strength but lacks explosive upper body power. Has not played against top competition on a weekly basis at the collegiate level. Will have a little bit of a bigger transition to the NFL as a mid-major player than some of the other top OT prospects from powerhouse DI-A programs.

Overall: Free made 12 starts as a true freshman in 2003 at left tackle (including two at tight end). In 2004, Free played in and started all 12 games for the Huskies at tackle. Free became an All-MAC First Team performer after the 2005 season when he once again started all 12 games, giving him 36 consecutive starts over the past three seasons. In 2006 Free started all 13 games at left tackle, ending his career with 49 straight starts.
Free suffered a stress fracture in his foot in the season opener (Ohio State) that lingered throughout most of his senior year. As a result, he did not look as agile as he did on film from the previous season. Even when at full strength, Free has never been an overpowering blocker and he will need to improve his strength in order to sustain blocks longer in the NFL. With all that said, Free is still worthy of first-day consideration because of his impressive combination of size and mobility. He draws many comparisons to former Northern Illinois OT Ryan Diem, who currently starts at right tackle for the Colts, but Free is a significantly better prospect now than Diem was in 2001.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 11:24 AM
So is this guy Barbre a guard or a tackle fpor the Pack? Is he Clifton's eventual replacement or Tauscher's or will they move Colledge?

Looks like Cliffy's backup and heir apparent.

pacfan
what did the Pack get for the 4th rd trade with Pitt?[/list]

Rastak
To Houston.....

Fred Bennett
CB | (6'0", 196, 4.46) | SOUTH CAROLINA

Scouts Grade: 76

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

Strengths: Possesses outstanding height and adequate bulk. Also has an excellent size/speed ratio. He shows good closing burst and can make up time when the ball is in the air. He is very aggressive in coverage and will challenge receivers for the ball. Does a good job of finding the ball quickly when looking over his shoulder. Displays adequate-to-good ball skills. Will time his jumps well and displays very good leaping ability.

Weaknesses: Possesses excellent straight-line speed for size, but is a bit high cut and shows too much stiffness in his hips. Will struggle to turn and run versus faster NFL wide receivers when left alone on an island. Must become more physical and aggressive. He opens his hips too early at times and is vulnerable underneath when he does. Needs to improve upper body strength and do a better job of taking receivers out of their routes versus press coverage. His effort in run support is inconsistent. He will shy away from contact at times and he must become a more reliable open-field tackler. Durability is also a concern after shoulder surgery (2005).

Overall: Bennett appeared in all 12 games as a true freshman in 2003 as a reserve defensive back and on special teams, finishing the season with eight total tackles. In 2004, he played in all 11 games and recorded 32 total tackles, two tackles for loss, four interceptions, three pass breakups, and one fumble recovery. Bennett then underwent off-season shoulder surgery. He returned for all 12 games (10 starts) in 2005 and made 31 total tackles, one tackle for loss, one sack, three interceptions, 10 pass breakups, one forced fumble, and one blocked kick.
Bennett lacks ideal hip fluidity as a pure cover corner, but he's not strong or aggressive in run support to bulk up and make the move to safety. He also comes with some durability baggage due to his shoulder surgery. However, he still possesses an impressive combination of height and speed, which gives him a chance to develop into a contributing cover corner in the NFL. In our opinion, Bennett has enough upside to select early on the second day but he's not proven enough to warrant consideration in the first three rounds.

Tarlam!
as of now, TT has 6 picks left.

Imagine, fantasize, 6 DD type players. At various positions.

Damned, where did I put that magazine....

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Still can't find anything on the Minny trade....

MJZiggy

An extra 6th I think...

mmmdk

With his quick feet I believe he's got a shot at RT or LT.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I really like the Barbre pick.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM

An extra 6th I think...

Yup we picked up #192.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Vikes trade detail....I like it....

Broncos trade up with Vikings
Denver Broncos: Acquire pick No. 121 (selected DT Marcus Thomas).
Minnesota Vikings: Acquire picks No. 176 (sixth round), No. 233 (seventh round) and the Broncos' third-rounder in 2008.

Fosco33
04-29-2007, 11:27 AM

On packers.com - they said he can play any G/T position.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Minnesota Vikings: Acquire picks No. 176 (sixth round), No. 233 (seventh round) and the Broncos' third-rounder in 2008.

Good trade. Kings ransom.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:28 AM
To Hawks.....

Mansfield Wrotto
OG | (6'3", 317, 5.4) | GEORGIA TECH

Scouts Grade: 64

Strengths: Thickly built and naturally strong. Possesses good upper body strength and flashes a strong punch. Shows good initial quickness and flashes the ability to beat defenders to the point of attack. He can drive defenders off the line when he plays with good leverage. Gets into pass set quickly and uses long arms to ride edge rushers past the pocket. Has quick feet and flashes the ability to redirect inside after starting outside. Though projects at guard, has experience lining up at tackle and is somewhat versatile.

Weaknesses: Is raw and needs to improve his overall footwork. Doesn't always drive legs once in position and doesn't get great hand placement. Doesn't take great angles to blocks and has some problems getting into position. Stands up coming out of stance and occasionally gets stalemated at the line of scrimmage. Lacks ideal experience, can take poor angles to downfield blocks and doesn't show a great understanding of position at this point. Footwork is inconsistent and can lose balance when forced to change directions quickly.

Overall: Wrotto began his career at defensive tackle where he played in all 13 games with 12 starts as a true freshman in 2003, registering 14 total tackles (three solo) including four for loss, one sack, and one fumble recovery. In 2004, he played in all 12 games making nine starts and finished the year with 18 total tackles (four solo), including 3.5 tackles for loss, and 0.5 sacks. During spring practice in 2005, Wrotto worked out as a left guard but was switched back to defense before the season. He then appeared in all 12 games in 2005, this time with 11 starts, recording 13 total tackles (seven solo), 4.5 tackles for loss, and 3.5 sacks. Wrotto returned to the offensive line for bowl practices in December 2005 where he worked out at tackle. He officially moved over to the offensive side for the 2006 season and started all 14 games at right tackle.
Wrotto is a developmental prospect who isn't fundamentally sound and needs to play with better footwork and leverage. The good news is that most of his weaknesses can be attributed to his lack of experience at the position. If he continues to improve and gets good coaching in the NFL, he has the size, strength and short-area quickness to develop into a starter. As a result, Wrotto is worthy of an early second-day pick.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 11:29 AM

Holy crap, that's highway robbery.

packers11
04-29-2007, 11:30 AM
There are reports that the Moss deal includes a first-round pick in 2008.

yahoo sports...

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 11:30 AM

Great trade for the Vikes.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Damn!!!

They traded a 4th, and got a 6th, 7th and next years 3rd?!?!!?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Damn!!!

Yea, not bad since they had already traded their 6th. I'm surprised more teams don't deal future picks or try to aquire them.

Merlin
04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Patriots who got Moss and the Packers?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:33 AM
To Saints

Jermon Bushrod
OT | (6'4", 315, 5.07) | TOWSON

Scouts Grade: 54 Selected by: New Orleans Saints
Pick (Overall): 26(125)
\

Strengths: Is big enough to engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack and can wear defenders down over the course of a game. Footwork is sound, and he can beat defenders to the point of attack. Shows decent upper body strength and flashes the ability to knock defenders back. Shows above-average range for his size and flashes the ability to get into position at the second level. Extends arms once in position and can ride edge rushers past the pocket. Keeps head up, shows good awareness and can adjust to blitzes as well as line stunts.

Weaknesses: While Bushrod plays with a decent motor and flashes the ability to sustain blocks, he also plays with a narrow base and lose his balance at times. Doesn't play with enough of a mean streak, hasn't shown great lower body strength and should have problems driving two-gap defenders off the ball. Though he shows adequate lateral mobility, he overextends too much and is vulnerable to effective double moves. Lacks elite initial quickness and should have problems holding up in pass protection if asked to line up on the left side. Played at a small school, and there are concerns about his ability to make the jump to the NFL.

Overall: Bushrod broke a bone in his foot during his true freshman season in 2002, so Towson red-shirted him that year. He started five of the 12 games he appeared in during the 2003 season and started all 11 games of the 2004 season, earning third-team All Atlantic 10 Conference honors. He started all 11 games of the 2005 season and again earned third-team All Atlantic 10 Conference honors, then started all 11 games of the 2006 season and was named first-team All Atlantic 10 Conference.
Bushrod shouldn't be as effective in pass protection in the NFL as he was in college, which means he'll likely have to play on the right side. He also needs to get tougher at the point of attack before pushing for playing time there. However, there is a lot to like about his blend of size and athletic ability. He projects as a late-round pick.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
49ers

Dashon Goldson
S | (6'2", 205, 4.6) | WASHINGTON

Scouts Grade: 51

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position Selected by: San Francisco 49ers
Pick (Overall): 27(126)

Strengths: Shows good awareness, reads quarterback's eyes and rarely gets caught out of position when dropping into zone coverage. Times hits well and flashes the ability to punish receivers over the middle. Plays with a mean streak, fills hard when reads run and flashes the ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Squares up to ball carrier, wraps up upon contact and doesn't miss many open field tackles. Has experience lining up at corner and is somewhat versatile.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to open hips when forced to turn and run downfield and lacks the second gear to recover once the receiver gets a step on him. Though flashes good upper body strength and the ability to redirect receivers, footwork is inconsistent and receivers will have some success getting a clean release working against him. Isn't fast enough to run with most receivers as well as quality receiving tight ends in man coverage and lacks the range to consistently cover the deep half of the field. Though flashes adequate ball skills isn't a playmaker in coverage. Lacks elite size and isn't big enough to consistently line up in the box. Missed 2004 spring practice recovering from shoulder surgery, slowed by an ankle injury in 2005 and durability is somewhat of a concern.

Overall: Goldson signed with Washington as a prep but attended Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in 2003 where he registered 99 total tackles and two interceptions to earn a first team National Junior College Athletic Association All-American selection. He then transferred to Washington, missed 2004 spring practice after having shoulder surgery, but returned to start all 11 games in the fall collecting 64 total tackles including two for loss, two interceptions, seven passes defended, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries. In 2005, Goldson again started all 11 contests and posted 80 total tackles, three tackles for loss, one interception returned 76 yards for a touchdown, four passes defended, and one fumble recovery. He moved to cornerback during spring practice in 2006, played in 11 of 12 games and made 50 total tackles including two for loss, intercepted one pass, broke up 10 passes, and recovered one fumble earning honorable mention All-Pac 10 recognition.
Goldson lacks ideal man-to-man cover skills and he didn't have great production at the collegiate level. However, he battled an ankle injury as a senior in 2006 and he looked far more athletic when recovered at the East-West Shrine game. Furthermore, he is a sound open field tackler who has the size and instincts to develop into a contributor for a team that can protect him in coverage. Goldson has some versatility as a potential sub-package defensive back that can play some cornerback in a cover-2 scheme. Overall, Goldson has enough upside to warrant consideration in the early portion of Day 2.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Damn!!!

Yea, not bad since they had already traded their 6th. I'm surprised more teams don't deal future picks or try to aquire them.

Even Sherman isn't that stupid. Bronco fans must be going nuts.

MateoInMex
04-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Only pic I could find of Allen Barbre..
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/PKR01/70429010/1989

Lurker64
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Patriots who got Moss and the Packers?

Moss wanted to go to the Patriots since their reasonable aspirations this year were winning a superbowl and Moss wants to win a superbowl before he retires. Moss didn't want to go the Packers because our reasonable aspirations this year are making the playoffs, and Moss has already made it to the playoffs. You don't want Moss in a situation he doesn't want to be in, he's a troublemaker.

Word I'm hearing is that Moss flat out said that he wouldn't renegotiate his deal if he was traded to Green Bay.

Tarlam!
3 OT's taken with 119, 122 and 125.

Should be nice to copmare down the road.....

Dallas took Doug Free, NO took Jermon Bushrod.

:shock: Keep that in mind!

Rastak
Only pic I could find of Allen Babre..

Your avatar is Babre?

packers11
04-29-2007, 11:36 AM
packers have three picks in a row in the sixth round!
Maybe ESPN will show one of them...

191-192-193 :wink:

MJZiggy
To Saints

Jermon Bushrod
OT | (6'4", 315, 5.07) | TOWSON

Scouts Grade: 54 Selected by: New Orleans Saints
Pick (Overall): 26(125)
\

So the Saints have Bush and now Bushrod? Am I the only one who finds this funny?

(B, your line of thinking is rubbing off on me... :? )

Rastak
Pats take

Kareem Brown
DT | (6'4", 290, 5.05) | MIAMI (FLA.)

Scouts Grade: 66 Selected by: New England Patriots
Pick (Overall): 28(127)

Strengths: Possesses good height and adequate-to-good bulk. Has a wide wingspan and shows more room on his frame to get bigger. He is a fine athlete for his size. Displays very good initial burst and the consistent ability to penetrate when fresh and giving good effort. He shows closing burst to the quarterback and has become much more instinctive as a pass rusher. He has long arms and big hands. He has a powerful upper body. He flashes explosive playmaking skills. Shows good closing burst to the quarterback and also when pursuing ball carriers from behind.

Weaknesses: Has been an inconsistent performer throughout his career. Comes out of his stance too high at times and loses all of his power when he does. Must learn to play with more consistent leverage and to use his hands more effectively. He does not do a good job of disengaging from blocks and he seems to lack ideal awareness. He gets knocked off his feet entirely too much. His must improve his array of pass rush moves.

Overall: Brown was redshirted in 2002. In 2003, he saw action in 11 games (one start; Tennessee) and made 26 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, and four sacks. Brown appeared in 12 games (one start; North Carolina) in 2004 and finished the year with 28 total tackles, six tackles for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. In 2005, he once again served as the third defensive tackle playing in all 12 games (one start; Clemson) recording 46 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries, returning one for a touchdown. Brown appeared in all 12 games in 2006, making 32 total tackles, 10 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, and forcing one fumble.
Brown is a classic boom-or-bust prospect with limited started experience but loads of upside. He still needs to play with better leverage and more consistency, but Brown seemed to put it all together during the second-half of his senior year. He is an impressive athlete for his size and he displays enough explosiveness to develop into a difference-maker at the next level. A team that trusts its defensive line coach to motivate Brown might want to take a chance on him early in the second-day of the 2007 draft.

Merlin
04-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Moss wanted to go to the Patriots since their reasonable aspirations this year were winning a superbowl and Moss wants to win a superbowl before he retires. Moss didn't want to go the Packers because our reasonable aspirations this year are making the playoffs, and Moss has already made it to the playoffs. You don't want Moss in a situation he doesn't want to be in, he's a troublemaker.

Word I'm hearing is that Moss flat out said that he wouldn't renegotiate his deal if he was traded to Green Bay.

There are a lot of "speculations" about why Moss went to the Patriots and yes, a GM with a WIN NOW Attitude makes all the difference...

MateoInMex
04-29-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/PKR01/70429010/1989

Nice pic of dude laying some d-lineman on his A$$

Rastak
Titans

Chris Davis
WR | (5'10", 181, 4.5) | FLORIDA STATE

Scouts Grade: 60

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position Selected by: Tennessee Titans
Pick (Overall): 29(128)

Strengths: Possesses quick feet, can change directions quickly and can regularly separate from man coverage. Does an adequate job of reading defenses and is capable of locating soft spots working against zone coverage. Catches the ball in-stride, has the elusiveness to make defenders miss and can be productive after the catch. Has the body control to adjust to passes thrown outside frame and flashes the ability to make the spectacular catch. Shows good focus while the ball is in the air and rarely drops passes that should catch. Has some upside as a potential PR specialist in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk, he doesn't have great upper body strength and physical corners will have some success muscling him out of routes. Needs to improve ability to beat press coverage. Doesn't deliver a violent initial punch and isn't a great blocker. While his speed is adequate he doesn't display the second gear to consistently run by corners. Missed entire 2002 season because of a knee injury but has been durable since.

Overall: Davis tore the ACL in his left knee prior to arriving at FSU and was redshirted for the 2002 season. He played in all 13 games in 2003, made one start against Duke, caught 23 passes for 264 yards (11.5 average), and scored two touchdowns. In 2004, Davis played in all 12 games and caught 14 passes for 228 yards (16.3 average) and one touchdown. He started 12 games and played in all 13 during the 2005 season, finishing with 666 yards and five touchdowns on 51 catches (13.1 average). During the 2003 and 2004 seasons, Davis returned 20 punts for a total of 137 yards (6.9 average). In 2006, Davis recorded 49 receptions for 684 yards (14.0 average) and four touchdowns over the course of 13 games. He also returned 26 punts for 224 yards (8.6 average) and added a rushing touchdown during the year.
Davis has the hands, athletic ability and open field running skills to develop into a contributing sub-package possession receiver if he can stay healthy and get stronger in the NFL. His experience returning punts increases his value a bit, but Davis lacks the size or elite speed to warrant consideration in the draft's first three rounds.

Merlin
I applaud TT for stockpiling all of these picks. He is building a team for the next decade, the problem is the next decade doesn't start until 2010.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
To the Bolts

Scott Chandler
TE | (6'7", 270, 4.78) | IOWA

Scouts Grade: 74

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position

Strengths: Is tall with a wide wingspan. Possesses long arms and big hands. A massive target in the passing game. Very effective as a short-to-intermediate receiver. Shows good initial quickness for his size and possesses excellent mobility. Displays good instincts when working as an underneath receiver. His hands are reliable and he does a good job of using his body to shield defenders. Will make the tough catch in traffic. Is impressive when it comes to his ability to pluck the ball and get upfield quickly. Does a fine job of looking the ball in when working in traffic and will secure the ball when taking a hit. He runs hard and will pick ups yards after contact. Has upside as a blocker because of his massive frame. Shows decent technique and is more of a position-and-wall off blocker.

Weaknesses: Does not display a mean streak and needs to become a more physical blocker. Lacks explosive power and fails to sustain his blocks at times. Shows toughness as a receiver going over the middle, but he's too much of a "finesse" blocker. Lacks top-end speed to stretch the seam in the NFL as a receiver. Decent at gaining yards after catch in college, but he lacks the burst to run away from defenders in the NFL. He is not overly elusive in space, either.

Overall: Chandler appeared in six games as a true freshman in 2003 but did not record any statistics. Prior to the 2004 season, Chandler moved from wide receiver to tight end. In 2004, he played in all 12 games, caught 24 passes for 324 yards (13.5 average), and scored two touchdowns. Chandler again played in all 12 games during the 2005 season, this time making nine starts. He finished the year with 552 receiving yards on 47 receptions (11.7 average) and two touchdowns. During the 2006 season, Chandler started all 13 games while amassing 46 receptions for 591 yards (12.8 average) and six touchdowns, leading to a Big-Ten honorable mention selection.
A former wide receiver, Chandler is a developmental tight end prospect with some intriguing upside. He shows good athleticism, ball skills and run-after-catch ability as a receiver, but he lacks ideal speed to consistently stretch the field at the next level. More concerning is the fact that Chandler lacks the strength and toughness to adequately match up as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Chandler grades out as a late-first day prospect in a weak 2007 class of tight ends.

pacfan
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
I applaud TT for stockpiling all of these picks. He is building a team for the next decade, the problem is the next decade doesn't start until 2010.

:!:

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Great post.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Oh well, there goes Chandler. He can say hi to Kaedo in San Diego.

Rastak
Bears get Beekman

Josh Beekman
OG | (6'1", 313, 5.36) | BOSTON COLLEGE

Scouts Grade: 75

Strengths: Possesses excellent size. Is a thickly built mauling type of interior offensive lineman. Engulfs undersized defenders at the point of attack and can wear defenders down over the course of the game. Does a good job of locking onto the defender's frame, plays with a wide base and can sustain blocks. Takes good angles to blocks, plays under control in space and can get into position at the second level. Gets adequate knee bend in pass set and rarely gives ground to bull rushers. Shows good awareness, keeps head up and does an adequate job of picking up blitzes as well as line stunts. He has shown some versatility playing guard and center during his collegiate career.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have an explosive first step, doesn't show great footwork and is going to have problems preventing penetration working against one-gap defenders. Foot-speed is lacking, has problems redirecting inside after starting outside and is vulnerable to double moves. Doesn't deliver a violent initial punch, doesn't roll hips into blocks and isn't going to knock defenders back. Lacks ideal range, doesn't cover downfield well and may need to shed some weight in order to gain some quickness. Ideal playing weight is under 320 pounds, but he has ballooned to 340 at points during his collegiate career.

Overall: Beekman was redshirted in 2002. He saw action in all 13 games in 2003, was plugged into the starting lineup twice, and played on special teams registering two tackles. In 2004, Beekman took over as the starting right guard for the entire season (12 games). He once again started all 12 games at right guard in 2005. Beekman started all 13 games as a senior in 2006, 10 at guard and three at center.
Beekman is a far better run blocker than he is a pass blocker but he has the size, strength, toughness and balance to develop into an every-down starting offensive guard in the NFL. He also showed some versatility playing center as a senior. Beekman projects as one of the top-five offensive guard prospects in this year's class and should come off the board no later than the third round.

Scott Campbell

Great pic, but he looks like he needs to put on a lot of weight.

Fosco33
04-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Great pic, but he looks like he needs to put on a lot of weight.

Packers.com webcast said he could add 15 pounds and you wouldn't even notice - solid frame to get bigger (if needed).

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
To Colts

Brannon Condren
S | (6'0", 204, 4.48) | TROY STATE

Scouts Grade: 30 Selected by: Indianapolis Colts
Pick (Overall): 32(131)
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Steelers

Ryan McBean
DT | (6'4", 286, 4.98) | OKLAHOMA STATE

Scouts Grade: 74

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position Selected by: Pittsburgh Steelers
Pick (Overall): 33(132)

Strengths: Possesses good size-potential. Anticipates snaps fairly well, has a quick first step and can disrupt running plays in the backfield. Keeps head up and generally locates the ball carrier quickly. Plays with a good motor and shows decent range. Moves well laterally and runs line stunts well. Flashes an effective rip move and closes well when gets a clear path to the passer. Flashes a decent spin move and is a relentless pass rusher. Keeps driving legs once in position and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Plays with a mean streak and can deliver a big hit when gets to the quarterback.

Weaknesses: Lacks great lower body strength, he plays too high and can get driven off the ball. Avoids blockers rather than stacking them up, is overaggressive and gets caught out of position at times. Though he flashes a strong upper body and the ability to shed blocks quickly, he doesn't always use hands well and is somewhat inconsistent. Doesn't protect legs well and is vulnerable to cut blocks. Lacks ideal awareness and takes too long to react to screens as well as draws. Frequently fails to wrap up upon contact and is an inconsistent tackler. Though relatively tall and has long arms, he doesn't always get hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback.

Overall: McBean originally attended Hinds Community College in 2003 where he started from day-one and finished his sophomore season in 2004 with 58 total tackles and seven sacks, earning all-conference honors. He arrived at Oklahoma State for spring practice in 2005, and then started all 11 contests at defensive tackle and recorded 37 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, and three sacks. McBean started all 13 games in 2006 and amassed 25 total tackles, seven tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries, and one forced fumble.
McBean lacks ideal size and will never be a two-gap defender. However, he has the frame, quickness, upper-body power and tenacity to develop into a quality starter in a one-gap scheme. He should continue to grow and get stronger over time. Depending on the scheme, McBean could fit as a defensive end or defensive tackle in the NFL. Regardless, he projects as a late-first day pick.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Just listened to Barbre.

Man, small town southern kid. He needs someone to coach him on PR.

RashanGary
Our depth is slowly getting back to servicable. We were stripped completely but as some of these young guys mature like Jolly, Hodge, Blackmon, Ingle Martin, and maybe some of the ones we get this year; we'll be in bettter shape for injury or retirement or other forms of turnover.

Rastak
Falcons

Martrez Milner
TE | (6'3", 252, 4.79) | GEORGIA

Scouts Grade: 73 Selected by: Atlanta Falcons
Pick (Overall): 34(133)

Strengths: Possesses adequate height and room on his frame to add bulk. He shows good initial quickness and does a fine job of reaching the second-level and hitting the moving target as a blocker in space. He has adequate upper body power and shows the ability to jar defenders with his hand punch. He is a fluid athlete with adequate top-end speed. Shows the ability to make the difficult catch at times and occasionally will adjust to the poorly thrown ball. Shows some upside as a receiver and should continue to develop with more experience. His quickness, coordination and balance are promising, though.

Weaknesses: He lacks experience and exposure. Is somewhat unpolished and has much room to improve in terms of overall technique. Far too unreliable catching the ball. Lets the ball get into his pads and doesn't show consistent focus in that regard. He needs to do a better job with his first step and blocking angles. He lacks ideal bulk and will get overwhelmed by bigger, stronger defenders at the point of attack. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Has some minor durability concerns due to back spasms in 2004.

Overall: Milner was redshirted upon his arrival in Athens in 2002. He played in 13 games in 2003 as backup tight end making one catch for 15 yards also seeing time on special teams. In 2004, Milner appeared in 10 games making two starts and caught four passes for 77 yards but missed time because of back spasms. He appeared in all 13 games in 2005 and made four starts, finishing the season with 14 catches for 291 yards, averaging 20.8 yards per catch, and scoring two touchdowns. In 2006, Milner was selected to the All-SEC third team after appearing in 12 games, with 10 starts, and recorded 30 receptions for 425 yards (14.1 average) and three touchdowns.
Milner was rising up draft boards thanks to a fast start to his senior season, which was his first as a fulltime starter after backing up Leonard Pope (Cardinals) the previous couple years. However, he cooled off significantly from that point on and was demoted to second string after he dropped three passes in the loss to Florida. Milner is far too inconsistent as a route runner and blocker, and he lets too many balls get into his pads as a receiver. While his upside is intriguing, we think Milner is too much of a risk to draft on Day 1.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Just listened to Barbre.

Man, small town southern kid. He needs someone to coach him on PR.

I have time. :cry:

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Ravens

Antwan Barnes
OLB | (6'0", 240, 4.43) | FLORIDA INTL

Scouts Grade: 59 Selected by: Baltimore Ravens
Pick (Overall): 35(134)

Strengths: Explosive and capable of disrupting plays in the backfield. Flashes above-average upper body strength, extends arms once in position and is capable of shedding blocks quickly. Plays with adequate leverage and is stronger at the point of attack than size would indicate. Though doesn't always take great pursuit angles, plays with a good motor, can slip blocks in space and shows good range. Plays with a mean streak and can deliver big hits. Is fast enough to turn the corner when rushing the passer and shows good closing speed when gets a clear path to the quarterback. Has experience lining up at defensive end and can effectively rush the passer from that position.

Weaknesses: Takes too long to break play down and has problems locating the ball. Lacks elite size, hasn't shown great lower body strength and is going to have problems holding ground when teams run at him. Doesn't read routes well, doesn't have elite ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage. Lacks ideal experience dropping into coverage, doesn't show great awareness in zone coverage and is vulnerable to play action. Though has the athletic ability to improve in this area hasn't shown a variety of pass rush moves.

Overall: Barnes stepped right into the starting lineup for all 12 games as a true freshman in 2003 and registered 57 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks, and one forced fumble. In 2004, he started three of the 10 contests he appeared in, making 53 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, three sacks, forced two fumbles, blocked one kick, and returned an interception 51 yards for a touchdown. Barnes began the 2005 season at linebacker but was moved to defensive end in the third game, eventually earning a first team All-Sun Belt accolade. For the year, he collected 45 total tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, three forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. Barnes again started all 12 contests in 2006, amassed 69 total tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss, six sacks, one interception, and one fumble recovery to earn more All-Sun Belt recognition.
Barnes doesn't have the size to line up at defensive end fulltime in the NFL and there are concerns about his ability to hold up in coverage at linebacker. However, he has a great deal of upside as a pass rush specialist and he could develop into a quality every-down linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Once considered a fringe late-round prospect, Barnes' tremendous combine workout helped verify what we saw of him on film against typically lower-level D-IA competition. Barnes could come off the board as early as the fourth round.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:53 AM
49ers

Joe Cohen
DE | (6'2", 313, 5.1) | FLORIDA

Scouts Grade: 39 Selected by: San Francisco 49ers
Pick (Overall): 36(135)

Strengths: Possesses a good combination of bulk and agility. Continues to add weight and is starting to project better as a one-gap DT prospect in terms of NFL potential. He shows good initial quickness out of his stance and flashes explosive power to knock offensive linemen back on their heels when he stays low.

Weaknesses: He is a bit of a misfit without a true position. Has spent time playing defensive end and defensive tackle at Florida, but has major deficiencies at both positions. He lacks ideal size as an interior prospect. Does a poor job of using his hands to keep separation and allows linemen to get into his pads too easily. He gets rag-dolled too easily when teams run at him. He is quick as an interior pass rusher but lacks top-end speed as an edge rusher. Seems to lack instincts as a pass rusher. Needs to improve his array of moves and do a better job of getting off of blocks once reached.

Overall: Cohen appeared in 10 games as a true freshman in 2003, mostly as an H-back, missed one game with a hamstring injury, carried once for no gain, and recorded one tackle. He moved to defensive end in 2004, started all 12 games finishing with 28 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, and one forced fumble. In 2005, Cohen played in all 12 games (started the final nine), made 15 total tackles, four tackles for loss, one sack, and one interception. He appeared in all 14 games (12 starts) during the 2006 season and finished with 26 tackles, two tackles for loss, 0.5 sacks, and one forced fumble.
Cohen is a bit of a 'tweener DE/DT prospect with inadequate size as an every-down DT and inadequate speed as an every-down DE prospect. Regardless, he is a decent athlete for his size and he has enough talent to develop into a versatile reserve in the NFL if properly motivated and coached. Cohen projects as a late-round pick in the 2007 class.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM

Wow, I don't blame you for liking it.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Colts

Clint Sessions
OLB | (6'0", 233, 4.7) | PITTSBURGH

Scouts Grade: 30 Selected by: Indianapolis Colts
Pick (Overall): 37(136)

Strengths: Is aggressive, has adequate initial quickness and can make plays at the line of scrimmage. Plays with a mean streak and is a powerful open field tackler that can jar the ball loose. Diagnose plays quickly and does a good job of locating the ball carrier. Uses hands well, extends arms once in position and sheds blocks quickly.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size, doesn't always get under blocker's pads and has problems holding ground when teams run at him. Isn't big enough to line up at SLB in the NFL and will need to find a niche. Has had some durability issues in the past.

Overall: Sessions saw action in 12 of 13 games (sat out against Temple; minor concussion) in 2003 as a true freshman and recorded 39 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, and one sack. He took over as the starting middle linebacker in 2004 collecting 91 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 0.5 sack, and two interceptions while playing in all 12 games. Sessions moved to "SAM" linebacker in 2005 but was hindered by several injuries (knee, shin) and played in just eight contests (two starts) registering 28 total tackles, two tackles for loss, and two forced fumbles. He came back in 2006, starting all 12 games and tallying 101 total tackles, 12 tackles for loss, one sack, one interception (returned 78 yards for a touchdown), one fumble recovery, and five forced fumbles.
Sessions struggled through injuries and a position change (from MLB to SLB) as a junior in 2005 but he made tremendous progress as a senior in 2006. While he lacks ideal size, Sessions plays with a mean streak and he also possesses very good instincts. He will fit best inside or on the weak-side in the NFL and he should also make an impact on special teams. Sessions is unlikely to be drafted in 2007.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Ravens

Le'Ron McClain
FB | (6'0", 256, 4.88) | ALABAMA

Scouts Grade: 47 Selected by: Baltimore Ravens
Pick (Overall): 38(137)

Strengths: Possesses good size and is thickly built. Takes good angles to blocks, stays under control in space and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Shows good balance and does a quality job of sustaining blocks once in position. Possesses good vision and reads blocks fairly well. Shows some ability as a short-yardage runner but is a more effective short-yardage receiver. Rarely drops passes that should catch and is a reliable receiver out of the backfield. Shows surprisingly good ability adjusting to the ball away from his frame as a receiver and he has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Shows awareness and generally does a good job of picking up the blitz.

Weaknesses: Lacks the burst to turn the corner and doesn't show a second gear in the open field. Doesn't have the quick feet to cut back and isn't going to make many defenders miss in the open field. He has good size and natural strength, but seems to lack explosive initial pop as a blocker.

Overall: McClain played in 11 games as a true freshman in 2003, when he finished with one carry for one yard and two catches for 35 yards. In 2004, McClain saw time in 12 games (started the last four) and registered 17 carries for 66 yards and two touchdowns, and caught eight passes for 55 yards and three touchdowns. McClain played in all 12 games during the 2005 season (10 starts), when he carried eight times for 39 yards and caught 18 passes for 140 yards including two touchdowns. In 2006 he started all 13 games and finished with 11 carries for 64 yards (5.8 average) and 20 catches for 175 yards and three touchdowns.
McClain isn't a great athlete and he isn't going to make many big plays as a receiver or a runner. He has been far more productive catching the ball than carrying it, and he is an effective lead-blocker with good size. McLain ranks as one of the top-three fullback prospects in the 2007 class, which will get him drafted no earlier than the fifth round.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
The disparity in these guys draft grades is pretty funny.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Yea, what is a 20 or a 30? A guy who never player before?

pacfan
04-29-2007, 11:59 AM
so will we be able to address our TE need in the draft, is there anybody left?

What other position, outside of GM, can we fix in this draft?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Raiders

Jay Richardson
DE | (6'5", 279, 5.0) | OHIO STATE

Scouts Grade: 31

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position Selected by: Oakland Raiders
Round: 5
Pick (Overall): 1(138)
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses adequate lower body strength, can get under blocker's pads and can hold ground when teams run at him. Reads keys well and rarely gets caught out of position. Plays with a mean streak, uses hands fairly well and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Possesses adequate initial quickness, anticipates snaps well and can beat blockers to the point of attack. Shows adequate lateral mobility and runs line stunts fairly well. Plays with a non-stop motor and is a relentless pass rusher. Is tall, times jumps well and gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. Is an effective interior pass rusher and has some experience lining up at defensive tackle so is versatile. Two-year starter that showed progress at the collegiate level and that should continue to get better as gains more experience.

Weaknesses: Though takes sound pursuit angles, lacks ideal range and isn't a sideline-to-sideline defender. Doesn't have elite explosiveness, isn't fast enough to turn the corner and doesn't have great closing speed. Though flashes an effective spin move, takes too long to change directions when rushing the passer and rarely forces offensive lineman to redirect. Plays too high at times and can get driven off the ball when doesn't play with sound technique.

Overall: Richardson arrived at Ohio State in 2002 and was redshirted. In 2003, he played sparingly in five games and made two tackles as a redshirt freshman. Richardson started the first six contests of the 2004 season before suffering a knee injury in practice prior to the matchup with Indiana and then appeared in three more games, finishing the year with 15 total tackles, two tackles for loss, and one sack. In 2005, he saw action in all 12 games off the bench as part of the defensive line rotation and recorded 11 total tackles, two tackles for loss, two sacks, and one forced fumble. Richardson started all 13 contests in 2006 and registered 25 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, and one fumble recovery, earning honorable mention All-Big Ten accolades.
Richardson lacks ideal speed and athleticism but he is a tall, deceptively strong and disciplined defensive end who can also line up at tackle in pass-rush situations. If he exceeds low expectations during postseason workouts, Richardson could solidify a spot in the final two or three rounds of the 2007 draft.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Rams

Dustin Fry
OC | (6'2", 314, 5.4) | CLEMSON

Scouts Grade: 33 Selected by: St. Louis Rams
Pick (Overall): 2(139)

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height for an interior lineman and he also is a massive wide-body type. He is a workout warrior with tremendous overall test results in the weight room. Shows adequate lower body strength and explosive upper body power. Does a good job of firing out of his stance and shows the initial pop to knock defenders back. He's thickly built and does a good job of anchoring in pass pro. He's tough and has proven capable of playing through pain.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal athletic ability. He takes too long to reach the second level and struggles to consistently hit a moving target. He can look a bit stiff when moving laterally and will have some trouble versus quick double-move in pass pro. Has room to improve in terms of hand-placement in pass pro.

Overall: Fry was redshirted in 2002. He saw significant action in all 13 games in 2003 and received two starts. In 2004, Fry once again served as a backup lineman but continued to log considerable playing time in all 11 games, including one start at right guard. Fry took over as a starting guard vs. Wake Forest in 2005 and wound up starting the rest of the season, earning All-ACC Second Team honors. In addition to his starting role at guard in 2005, Fry saw time at center and tackle. Fry started all 13 games at center in 2006.
Fry is a bit of a late-blooming prospect. He did not emerge as a starter until his junior season but he has started every game since and has shown significant improvement during the two-year span. He lacks ideal agility at the position and he's still somewhat of a work in progress from a technique standpoint. However, Fry possesses the size and power to possibly contribute in the NFL. Also adding to Fry's value is his versatility as an interior offensive lineman that could potentially serve as a backup at center and both guard positions. Fry warrants late-round consideration in the 2007 draft.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Yea, what is a 20 or a 30? A guy who never player before?

That 4.24 in the 40 Raider guy was in the 20's. I'd have given him a 50 point bonus just for his track time.

Fritz
04-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Hmmm...Allen Barbre. Isn't he from Seville, Mississippi?

That Vikes trade...man, was Pat Bowlen doing shots with Mike Shanahan when they decided to trade away a third next year for a damn fifth now?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:04 PM

That Vikes trade...man, was Pat Bowlen doing shots with Mike Shanahan when they decided to trade away a third next year for a damn fifth now?

It was #22 in the fourth but yea, pretty crazy.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Browns finally pick again.....

Brandon McDonald
CB | (5'10", 181, 4.58) | MEMPHIS

Scouts Grade: 31

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position Selected by: Cleveland Browns
Pick (Overall): 3(140)

Strengths: Shows adequate knee bend in backpedal and closes well when coming forward. Shows good awareness and can jump routes. Started collegiate career at receiver and rarely drops interceptions when gets hands on ball. Is a strong leaper and flashes the ability to catch the ball at its highest point. Wraps up upon contact and is an adequate open field tackler. Reads blocks well when returning punts, blocked a field goal attempt during senior season and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have great bulk and can get pushed around by bigger receivers. Hasn't shown great upper body strength, doesn't play with enough of a mean streak and should have problems slowing receivers down at the line of scrimmage. Takes too long to open hips when forced to turn and run downfield and lacks the second gear to recover once most receivers get a step on him. Doesn't do a great job of getting head turned around, lacks ideal body control and has problems locating balls thrown over outside shoulder. Appears to play pass before run on every snap and isn't a great run defender at this point.

Overall: McDonald began his career at Jones County Community College where in 2003 he saw action as a wide receiver. In 2004 he switched to cornerback and finished with 25 total tackles, eight interceptions, and led the team in punt returns, earning honorable mention All-American honors. McDonald enrolled at Memphis in the spring of 2005 where he battled two knee injuries, limiting him in practice. In the fall he appeared in all 12 games at cornerback, with 11 starts, and recorded 49 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 11 passes defended, three interceptions, and one blocked PAT. McDonald started all 12 games in 2006, seeing action at cornerback, free safety, and strong safety, and finished with 84 total tackles, two tackles for loss, four interceptions, one forced fumble, and one blocked field goal, earning second team All-Conference-USA honors (media). While at Memphis he also returned 46 punts for 305 yards (6.6 average).
McDonald has enough ball skills and quickness to develop into an effective No. 4 for a team that doesn't ask him to hold up in man coverage too much. However, his upside is limited by his lack of top-end speed and size.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:05 PM

That has to be the single most boneheaded move of this draft. If they were that in love with the guy, why didn't they just take him earlier. And they surely could have moved up for much, much less.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Bucs....

Greg Peterson
DT | (6'4", 272, 4.9) | NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL

Scouts Grade: 20 Selected by: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Pick (Overall): 4(141)

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Cards get a solid return guy....

Steve Breaston
WR | (6'0", 193, 4.46) | MICHIGAN

Scouts Grade: 52 Selected by: Arizona Cardinals
Pick (Overall): 5(142)

Strengths: A homerun threat with the ball in his hands -- as a receiver, return man and on reverses. He shows great vision as a runner and sees creases opening up quickly. Shows very good initial burst and top-end speed. He displays the necessary second-gear to run away from defenders in the open field. Possesses outstanding body control and balance, showing the ability to stop-and-start without losing much in transition. He is elusive in space and will consistently make the first defender miss. He is one of the premier return specialists in this year's class.

Weaknesses: Has had some durability issues in the past. Lingering shoulder injury affected his play in 2005. He lacks ideal bulk and strength. Is lean and gets pushed around as a route runner at times. Will have some trouble getting off the line of scrimmage versus bigger, more physical defensive backs in the NFL. He does not make a lot of plays as a receiver in traffic. Is more dangerous after the catch than he is as a vertical route runner. He is an unpolished receiver who must improve the crispness of his routes. He disappears from games and seems to lack natural instincts and recognition skills as a receiver. He will lose focus and drop "catchable" passes occasionally. He lacks ideal strength as a run blocker and occasionally will fail to sustain even when in position and locked on.

Overall: Breaston was redshirted in 2002. In 2003, he played in all of Michigan's games making one start against Indiana (9/27) and caught 38 passes for 444 yards (11.7 average) and three touchdowns. Breaston also returned 45 punts for 619 yards (13.8 average) and scored two touchdowns. Breaston played in 11 games in 2004, missing the Indiana game with a finger injury, and finished the year with 34 receptions for 291 yards (8.6 average) and three touchdowns. He added 28 kickoff returns for 689 yards (24.6 average) and 24 punt returns for 292 yards (12.2 average) and one touchdown. Breaston played in all 11 games in 2005, (seven starts) caught 26 passes for 291 yard (11.2 average) and two touchdowns. He also finished with 23 kickoff returns for 646 yards (28.1 average) and one touchdown, as well as 29 punt returns for 365 yards (12.3 average). For his career, Breaston has carried the ball 32 times for 242 yards (7.6 average) and two touchdowns. He finished the 2006 season playing in all 13 games, catching 58 passes for 670 yards (11.6 average) and two touchdowns. He also added 29 punt returns for 332 yards (11.4 average) and a touchdown to go along with 21 kickoff returns for 467 yards (22.2 average).
Breaston finished strong as a senior but he lacks the physical tools to ever emerge as a difference-maker in the NFL. At best, Breaston will become a No. 4 receiver and a solid punt return specialist at the next level. In our opinion, Breaston is worth selecting no earlier than the fourth round of the 2007 draft.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 12:12 PM
The Patriots better win it this year and they better hope all of those old guys stay relatively healthy.

2 injuries to their over 30 playmaker core and you're looking at a team that blew it's wad for nothing.

That said, they have a good chance. They just better hope they hit it this year.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Damnit, Le'Ron McClain is off the board. He will be the best FB out of this class.

Oh well, Ben Patrick and Michael Allan are still there.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Skins,,,,,,

Dallas Sartz
OLB | (6'4", 235, 4.71) | USC

Scouts Grade: 39

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy(O: OVERACHIEVER) Player that lacks AA and skills Selected by: Washington Redskins
Pick (Overall): 6(143)

Stat Overview
No Stats Available
· View full player card
Strengths: Possesses good size and the frame to add even more bulk as a "SAM" linebacker in the NFL. Reads keys well, has adequate initial quickness and can make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the passer and flashes the ability to power through blockers in the middle. Has long arms and generally gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback. He pays attention to details and displays good football intelligence. Covered kicks at the collegiate level, blocked a punt during sophomore season and should make an impact on special teams.

Weaknesses: Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and gets driven back at times. Doesn't always take sound angles to the ball and gets caught out of position at times. Takes too long to open hips when forced to turn and run downfield and isn't fast enough to run with most backs. Depth in drops is inconsistent and doesn't show great awareness in zone coverage. Uses hands too much in coverage and could draw some flags if doesn't improve technique. Lacks ideal ball skills and isn't a playmaker. Fails to breakdown in space too much and is an inconsistent open field tackler. Missed most of the 2005 season with a dislocated shoulder and durability is somewhat of a concern.

Overall: Sartz saw action as a backup SLB linebacker and on special teams in 12 of 13 games as a true freshman in 2002, finishing with 8 total tackles and one interception. In 2003, he played at both SLB and safety, appearing in all 13 games and starting the final six at linebacker. He recorded 60 total tackles, six tackles for loss, two sacks, and a blocked punt. Sartz appeared in all 13 games in 2004 at SLB linebacker and registered 48 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, and one interception, earning an All-Pac 10 honorable mention. The 2005 season ended for him after dislocating his shoulder against Arkansas (9/17) and receiving a medical redshirt. Sartz returned in 2006 and started all 13 games, making 70 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks, one forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries, garnering his second All-Pac 10 honorable mention selection.
Sartz may not be strong enough to consistently match up at "SAM" linebacker in the NFL and he's not fast or athletic enough to play in space. However, he is a tough overachiever-type with good size. Sartz is tough against the run, he can get to the quarterback and he should be a quality special teams' contributor in the NFL. He projects as a late-round pick or a rookie free agent.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Texans

Brandon Harrison
S | (6'1", 227, 4.6) | STANFORD

Scouts Grade: 46

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position Selected by: Houston Texans
Pick (Overall): 7(144)

Strengths: Plays with a mean streak, times hits well and flashes the ability to punish receivers over the middle. Catches the ball fairly well, is aggressive and flashes big-play ability. Times jumps fairly well and is tall enough to win most jump balls. Takes sound pursuit angles and works to the whistle. Flashes the ability to shed blocks and is big enough to line up in the box. Squares up to the ball carrier, wraps up upon contact and is a sound open field tackler. Times blitz fairly well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and flashes the ability to run over blockers in the backfield. Blocked a kick in 2004 and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Plays the ball better than the man, is vulnerable to double moves and lacks the second gear to recover once caught out of position. Doesn't explode out of cuts, appears stiff when forced to turn and run and is more effective playing off the line. Though has experience lining up at corner, lacks the burst to play there at the NFL so versatility is somewhat overrated. Doesn't explode into hits, doesn't always wrap up upon contact and isn't a powerful open field tackler.

Overall: Harrison appeared in 10 of 11 contests as a true freshman in 2003 making six total tackles and breaking up one pass. In 2004, he started all 11 games at strong safety registering 45 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, two fumble recoveries, one interception, one pass breakup, and one blocked punt. Harrison again started all 11 games in 2005 and collected 67 total tackles, two tackles for loss, three interceptions, and four pass breakups. In 2006, he played in all 12 games with 11 starts coming at safety and cornerback (played off the bench against San Jose State because of an injury), finishing the year with 68 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one interception, five pass breakups, and one fumble recovery earning an honorable mention All-Pac 10 selection.
Harrison lacks ideal cover skills and range but he has good speed and athletic ability for his size. He never settled in at one position in college, but his experience playing safety, outside linebacker and cornerback gives him some versatility value. Harrison is a hard worker and he plays the game with a mean streak, which should at least allow him to contribute on special teams while he attempts to find a niche on defense. That's why we think Harrison is worth the risk in the middle of Day 2.

Brando19
04-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I hope we pick Ben Patrick. Why is he still on the board?!?

BallHawk
Rufus Alexander is still on the board. He's an intriguing option at LB.

packers11
The Patriots better win it this year and they better hope all of those old guys stay relatively healthy.

2 injuries to their over 30 playmaker core and you're looking at a team that blew it's wad for nothing.

That said, they have a good chance. They just better hope they hit it this year.

Its a Superbowl or bust year for them...

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Minny on the clock....

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm always kind of optimistic on draft day but damn, these guys sound like solid guys. Shit, I wish I had some of their maturity and humility at 22.

I was worried that Thompson would forget his vow to take solid football players first but listening to these guys, it sounds like they are just hard wroking guys who love to play football.

I'm feeling pretty good about this draft although I doubt it's as good as last years. We had what? 4 starters out of the gate and none of them disappointed. That is incredibly rare. If we even get 2 out of the gate and 2 later from this somewhat weak draft I'll be happy.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Saints

David Jones
CB | (5'11", 190, 4.49) | WINGATE

Scouts Grade: 52 Selected by: New Orleans Saints
Pick (Overall): 8(145)

Strengths: Gets good knee-bend in his backpedal and shows good closing speed going forward. Changes directions quickly, explodes out of cuts and shows above-average short-area man-to-man cover skills. Opens hips fairly well and is fast enough to run with most receivers downfield. Shows good awareness and rarely gets caught out of position. Aggressive and jumps routes. Catches the ball well and is a dangerous open field runner who can produce after an interception. Has experience lining up at receiver, can return kicks, can cover kicks and is versatile.

Weaknesses: Doesn't use hands particularly well and lacks the second gear to recover when playing close to the line of scrimmage and failing to jam the receiver well. Lacks a mean streak, doesn't take sound pursuit angles and doesn't offer much in terms of run support. Frequently fails to square up to ball carrier, doesn't always wrap up upon contact and is an inconsistent open-field tackler. Played at a small school, and there are concerns about his ability to make the jump to the NFL.

Overall: Jones appeared in eight games as a true freshman in 2003, recording 15 tackles and four pass breakups. He started seven of the 11 games he played in during the 2004 season, recording 34 tackles, 12 pass breakups and six interceptions, including two he returned for touchdowns. He started 10 games in 2005. recording 37 total tackles, one forced fumble, 15 pass breakups and five interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. Jones also returned 16 kickoffs for 373 yards. As a senior in 2006, he started 11 games and recorded 24 tackles, 12 pass breakups and four interceptions. Jones also lined up at receiver and made an impact on special teams last year. He caught two passes for 125 yards and two touchdowns, returned one punt for 12 yards, returned 18 kickoffs for 303 yards and blocked a punt.
Jones is a small-school prospect who has to get tougher against the run and improve his ability to slow receivers down at the line of scrimmage. While he's a long-term project, Jones does have the tools to work with as a late-round pick. He has the athletic ability to develop into an excellent sub-package corner, he can contribute in all facets of the game and he is a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Lurker64

I think an important trend to notice from the draft is that NFL GMs know more about players than NFL fans do. If there was one NFL GM who thought of him as highly as some of us do (having seen very little tape on the guy, almost certainly) he'd be gone now.

BallHawk
And the Vikings draft Troy Williamson II.

mngolf19
04-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Great. Another WR. :D

Rastak
Not a bad pick at in the 5th....

Aundrae Allison
WR | (6'0", 198, 4.39) | EAST CAROLINA

Scouts Grade: 77

Flags: (M: MENTAL) Does not retain and learn the system

Strengths: Possesses adequate height and good speed. He shows suddenness and quick-twitch athleticism. Reaches top gear in a hurry and does a good job of getting into his routes quickly. He shows good vision, is quick and can be productive after the catch. Has good balance and natural body control. Shows good awareness and works back to the quarterback when the protection starts to break down. Shows good focus while the ball is in the air and flashes the ability to make the tough catch in traffic. Catches the ball with hands away from frame and doesn't drop many passes that should catch. Runs with good balance, flashes an adequate stiff arm and flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact. Locks onto defender's frame and flashes the ability to sustain blocks. Has experience throwing downfield and can run gadget plays effectively.

Weaknesses: Possesses adequate height and only decent bulk. He is still a bit raw. Shows the suddenness to become a good route runner but must learn how to set up defenders more consistently. Doesn't shown the consistent ability to read coverages or to find soft spots in zones. There's concern regarding his mental capacity; he may take longer than normal to adjust to the NFL from a learning standpoint. Occasionally tries to make too much happen after the catch and needs to be a more efficient open field runner. Appears to take some plays off and clearly doesn't give great effort when offense runs to the opposite side of the field. Doesn't play with a mean streak, lacks ideal upper body strength and isn't a physical blocker.

Overall: Allison originally attended Coffeyville (Kansas) Community College in 2002 but did not play football. He then attended the Georgia Military Academy Junior College where he played the 2003 and 2004 seasons, totaling 70 receptions for 865 yards (12.4 average), and 11 touchdowns. In January of 2005, Allison enrolled at ECU. He finished the 2005 season seeing action in all 11 games, catching 83 passes for 1,024 yards (12.3 average), and seven touchdowns. He also carried the ball (seven attempts for 65 yards), threw passes (one completion, two attempts, for 41 yards), and returned punts (six returns for 33 yards). Despite missing two games in 2006 with an ankle injury, Allison earned second team All-C-USA honors while starting 11 games, and catching 62 passes for 708 yards (11.4 average) and four touchdowns.
Allison doesn't have elite size and he needs to get stronger. He must improve his route running consistency and there are legitimate concerns regarding his ability to quickly digest an NFL playbook. On the flip side, he possesses the quick-twitch athleticism and speed to develop into a productive No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in the NFL. In our opinion, Allison is worth drafting in the third round but only for a team with the patience to work with him as a project.

Brando19

I think an important trend to notice from the draft is that NFL GMs know more about players than NFL fans do.

Very true, but wasn't he ranked higher in mock drafts done by NFL experts?

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:21 PM

LOL

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:22 PM

LOL

NFLN loved the pick......

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Not to be spewing optimism here but Harrell also gives me a very good vibe. It seems like DT's score lower on teh wonderlic than any position. This kid is supposed to be smart and an incredibly hard worker and high effort guy.

He's incredibly gifted physically and he seems to have the work ethic and solid character to go with it. I have a feeling this guy might be a high impact defender for us for a good 7 or 8 years. *DT's fall off fast so 30 is about as long as I expect*

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
49ers

Tarell Brown
CB | (5'10", 190, 4.45) | TEXAS

Scouts Grade: 73

Flags: (C: CHARACTER) Problems on and off the field(D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good size and displays fluid hips in man-to-man coverage. Gets good knee bend when back pedaling and shows excellent closing speed. Plays with a mean streak, times hits well and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. While he frequently plays off the line, he has shown good upper body strength and flashes the ability to slow receivers down at the line. Possesses adequate ball skills and flashes the ability to make the big play in coverage. Though he doesn't always show great footwork, he can change directions quickly and shows good burst getting out of cuts. Possesses adequate top-end speed and flashes the ability to run with faster receivers. Is willing in run support and is a sound open field tackler that flashes the ability to make plays in the backfield. Plays with a good motor and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Has experience returning punts and can cover kicks so should contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Can be overaggressive, gets turned around at times and is inconsistent. Lacks ideal instincts, is vulnerable to double moves and lacks the second gear to recover once caught out of position. Doesn't always take good pursuit angles and gets caught out of position at times. Character must be evaluated closely after one-game suspension (Ohio State) in 2006. Durability is a concern, broke his arm in the 2006 Rose Bowl, missed 2006 spring practices and suffered a broken bone in his foot during the 2006 regular season.

Overall: Brown appeared in all 13 games (backup corner, special teams) as a true freshman in 2003 and made nine total tackles and one pass breakup. In 2004, he started all 12 games registering 38 total tackles, five tackles for loss, one sack, two interceptions, and three pass breakups. Brown started 12 of 13 games in 2005 finishing the season with 70 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one interception, eight pass breakups, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. He broke his right arm during the Rose Bowl against USC and did not participate in contact drills in the spring. He came back in 2006 and started 11 of 13 games, recording 53 total tackles, one tackle for loss, eight pass breakups, and one forced fumble. Brown was suspended for the Ohio State game due to his role in an incident involving a hand gun and marijuana and missed the Baylor contest due to injury. Brown has also returned 12 kickoffs for 233 yards (19.4 average) over the past three seasons.
Brown did not live up to expectations as a senior. He was suspended for a game and he was hobbled by a broken bone in his foot. He remains unpolished and he must work on reading his keys. Despite all the negatives that surrounded Brown during his final year at Texas, Brown is still a very good natural cover corner when he's healthy and focused. He possesses enough size, speed, athletic ability and tenacity to develop into a starting man-to-man cover corner in the NFL. Brown will slip due to character concerns and misevaluation as a senior, but he could turn out to be a steal in the third or fourth round.

packers11
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
rastak... I have a question...

Do you run on energizer batteries? :wink:

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Very true, but wasn't he ranked higher in mock drafts done by NFL experts?

A lot of mocks are based on the following rule:
1) Identify the needs of each team (say three per team)
2) Identify the best player available in each of those positions.
3) Compare the players chosen in step 2 based on the impact they'll have on the team's roster immediately.

Whereas by and large NFL GMs don't think that way. Our GM certainly doesn't.

Brando19
TT IS BEING INTERVIEWED ON ESPN NOW

BallHawk
TT is on at ESPN.

Rastak

LOL, I ran out of gas yesterday......man, that was a long day.....

Scott Campbell

LOL

NFLN loved the pick......

Not laughing at the pick, just laughing at the kid busting your balls.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 12:25 PM
TT is on television.

Scott Campbell

Last year it was Motiffe, and me to a lesser extent if I remember correctly. But I don't think we had the Scouts Inc. stuff. Thanks for doing this Ras.

gbgary
daddy's on espn right now.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Last year it was Motiffe, and me to a lesser extent if I remember correctly. But I don't think we had the Scouts Inc. stuff. Thanks for doing this Ras.

NP, glad to help....

green_bowl_packer
Whole lotta nothing out of TT!!!

Rastak
Chiefs...

Kolby Smith
RB | (5'11", 220, 4.5) | LOUISVILLE

Scouts Grade: 60

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy Selected by: Kansas City Chiefs
Pick (Overall): 11(148)
\

Strengths: Possesses good height and bulk. Has the frame to add even more bulk if necessary. Is a fine athlete, especially for his size. He has a 41-inch vertical leap and also displays good lateral quickness. Possesses adequate-to-good top-end speed and will display some burst when he breaks into the open field. He can be a powerful runner when he lowers his shoulder and initiates contact. Shows soft hands and has good experience catching the ball out of the backfield. Has developed into a fine blocker in pass pro. He is a versatile prospect that can contribute as a runner, receiver and blocker on offense. Also has upside on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elusiveness and will not make many defenders miss in space. He shows some toughness as a runner but needs to run with more consistent leverage. Runs high at times and takes too many shots to his frame. Lacks ideal experience as a premier ball carrier. Has played multiple roles but has never starred in one particular area. Durability has also been an issue, especially for a back that never carried the full load during his collegiate career.

Overall: Smith's cousin, Mike Brown, plays safety for the Bears. Smith played sparingly as a freshman in 2003. He started one of the 10 games he played as a sophomore in 2004, finishing with 347 yards and four TD's on 37 carries, while also notching 117 yards on 11 receptions. He missed one game due to a hamstring injury that season. In 2005, Smith played in 10 games as Michael Bush's backup and started three games when Bush was injured. He finished with 523 yards and six TD's on 107 carries, while also catching 18 passes for 196 yards. Smith missed two games that season due to a knee injury. He returned in 2006 to play in all 13 games, making five starts while splitting time with Brock Bolen and Goerge Stripling following Michael Bush's injury, and recorded 862 yards and seven touchdowns on 154 carries (5.6 average) and added 24 catches for 217 yards.
Smith took advantage of his opportunity to play in the unfortunate wake of Michael Bush's season-ending broken leg suffered in the opener versus Kentucky. Smith displays a solid combination of size and agility, and he also possesses soft hands as a receiver out of the backfield. However, Smith lacks creativity and elusiveness as a runner and he's not as overpowering as his size would indicate. In our opinion, Smith is worth drafting in the early portion of Day 2.

mngolf19
04-29-2007, 12:27 PM
What do you think of his avoiding the question, "what are your expectations for this year?"

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:27 PM
TT is on television.

Wow. He must run a pretty efficient draft room. I wouldn't grant an interview with a pick coming up shortly, and 3 more in succession in the next round. There's plenty of time for interviews after the draft.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:28 PM
What do you think of his avoiding the question, "what are your expectations for this year?"

I think Ted avoids pretty much every questiong he's ever been asked.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 12:30 PM
What did he say? I missed it.

Brando19
Whole lotta nothing out of TT!!!
And you expected.......??? It's TT...he probably never even told his mother "I love you" because he feared she would expect it more.

Lurker64
Thompson's probably fairly confident in the state of his board right now, and since there's about 30 minutes until he drafts it's probably safe. But you're right, it's not something a disorganized GM could probably pull off.

packers11
teddy is so monotone... I wonder if he'd change his voice tone with a bat to his head...

:smack: :wink: :lol:

GoPackGo
04-29-2007, 12:31 PM
let get darius walker RB from notre dame, troy smith too

Brando19
teddy is so monotone... I wonder if he'd change his voice tone with a bat to his head...

lol

Scott Campbell
Thompson's probably fairly confident in the state of his board right now, and since there's about 30 minutes until he drafts it's probably safe. But you're right, it's not something a disorganized GM could probably pull off.

Well you can always work the phones and try to trade down some more. Or maybe were past the point where you can trade down.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Or maybe were past the point where you can trade down.

If he trades again, then for picks next year, surely....

GrnBay007

TT = "I'd never had spent that much on THAT bat."

packers11
Doesn't the packers have over 17 mill in cap room... How are they going to spend it now??? I thought for sure they were saving some for Moss...

:?:

Brohm
04-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Uncertain with this draft so far. Combined with the lack of FAs, I'm scratching my head. I just have to remember that Levens and Chmura were 5ths too and TT gets paid to do this :p

green_bowl_packer
He could have saved his reputation here big time with Packer's fans by stating if Moss wanted to renegotiate or not, or if the offer was out there or if they skunked us by two picks in the fourth.

Brando19
Doesn't the packers have over 17 mill in cap room... How are they going to spend it now???

Walk ons

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Jax....

Uche Nwaneri
OG | (6'3", 325, 5.37) | PURDUE

Scouts Grade: 42

Flags: (C: CHARACTER) Problems on and off the field

Strengths: Plays with a mean streak, has above-average upper body strength and flashes the ability to knock defenders back. Though footwork is inconsistent, moves fairly well, can get around the center when asked to trap and is big enough to engulf linebackers. Shows good body control in space, has adequate range and can get into position at the second level. Shows good awareness, keeps head on a swivel and can pick up line stunts as well as blitzes. Has adequate initial burst and gets into pass set quickly. Has adequate size and can hold ground against bull rushers though can get better knee bend in pass set.

Weaknesses: While works to the whistle on every snap, plays with a narrow base, doesn't always locks onto the defender's frame and has some problems sustaining blocks. Plays too high, lacks elite lower body strength and should have problems driving two-gap defensive tackles off the ball. Ducks head too much, lacks ideal balance and spends too much time on the ground. Footwork in pass protection is somewhat inconsistent and is vulnerable to effective double moves. Broke the jaw of teammate during an off-season workout in 2005, Purdue suspended him for the 2005 fall semester, unsuccessfully sued the university and there is some concern about ability to control emotions.

Overall: Nwaneri arrived at Purdue in 2002 as a defensive tackle and did not appear in any games. In 2003, he saw limited action as a backup in just three games. Nwaneri then started all 12 contests at left guard in 2004. He was suspended by the University and did not play in 2005 after getting in a fight with a teammate and breaking his jaw during an offseason workout. He enrolled at Ivy Tech Community College (Ind.) for the fall semester but returned to Purdue in January of 2006 regaining his scholarship. Nwaneri then started all 14 games during the 2006 season, once again playing left guard.
Nwaneri isn't dominant in any one area and his technique needs polishing. However, if he continues to mature and can keep his emotions in check, Nwaneri could become a Day 2 steal. He has the size, athletic ability and tenacity to develop into an excellent backup but he's going to slip to the last few rounds due to his character issues.

Lurker64
He could have saved his reputation here big time with Packer's fans by stating if Moss wanted to renegotiate or not, or if the offer was out there or if they skunked us by two picks in the fourth.

He would save his reputation here, but it would likely complicate further negotiations with other teams or players. It's safer to just not say anything. Some fans will be upset no matter what you do.

Rastak
Jax again

Josh Gattis
S | (6'1", 206, 4.51) | WAKE FOREST

Scouts Grade: 72

Strengths: Possesses good size and impressive speed for his size. Has adequate initial quickness, takes the shortest path to the ball and flashes the ability to make plays in the backfield. Plays with a good motor and takes good pursuit angles. Shows adequate range when dropping into zone coverage. Is tall, shows good body control and flashes the ability to catch the ball at its highest point. Is capable of developing quality short-area man-to-man cover skills. Has good ball skills and is a playmaker. He is intelligent and digests new schemes quickly.

Weaknesses: Doesn't always extend arms once in position and takes too long to shed blocks. Doesn't use hands to protect legs and is vulnerable to cut blocks. Can be overaggressive and plays the man before the ball at times. Is smart but lacks ideal instincts and lacks the second gear to recover once caught out of position. Doesn't always wrap up upon contact, fails to break down at times and misses too many open field tackles.

Overall: Gattis was redshirted in 2002. He saw action in all 12 games as a reserve defensive back and on special teams in 2003, made 34 total tackles, and forced two fumbles. In 2004, Gattis started all 11 games at free safety and recorded 71 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one sack, two interceptions, four pass breakups, three fumble recoveries, and two forced fumbles. He started nine of 11 games in 2005 after being held out of the starting lineup for the first two games due to a preseason concussion. Gattis finished the season with 72 total tackles, five interceptions (two touchdowns), seven pass breakups, one fumble recovery, and one forced fumble. In 2006 he appeared in all 14 games, with 13 starts (did not start vs. Florida St. due to a sprained ankle), and registered 82 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, eight pass breakups, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and five interceptions, garnering first team All-ACC honors.
Gattis possesses an impressive blend of size and speed, and he continued to make noticeable strides as a football player during his senior season. However, he comes up short in terms of explosiveness and consistency in run support and he also lacks ideal fluidity in deep-middle coverage. Gattis will need to make it on special team in order to buy time for improving his safety skills in the NFL. Regardless, he projects as mid-round pick.

Scott Campbell
He could have saved his reputation here big time with Packer's fans..........................

I don't think he loses much sleep over his reputation with Packer fans. And I'm fine with that.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Bengals....

Jeff Rowe
QB | (6'5", 226, 4.91) | NEVADA

Scouts Grade: 39 Selected by: Cincinnati Bengals
Pick (Overall): 14(151)

Strengths: Possesses prototypical height and adequate bulk. Is tall enough to scan the field from within the pocket. Has adequate arm strength. At his best throwing short-to-intermediate routes. Shows good touch underneath and puts adequate zip on deep out routes. Knows how to lead his receivers and shows good timing. Throws accurately on the run and has good experience in that regard. Possesses quick feet and can buy second chances within the pocket. He is a tough, aggressive runner that knows where the first down marker is when he takes off.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal arm strength as a downfield passer. His deep ball has a tendency to sail. He comes from a passer-friendly offensive scheme and is not forced to make a lot of NFL-style progression reads. He does not make many vertical throws, either. Level of competition is mediocre at the collegiate level. Doesn't always make sound decisions under pressure and needs to do a better job of taking what the defense gives him at times. Can try to make too much happen and is inconsistent. Sustained a season-ending separated shoulder injury resulting in him taking a medical red-shirt during in 2003. Has been mostly healthy since, so durability is only a minor concern.

Overall: Rowe served as Nevada's backup during his true freshman season in 2002, saw action in six games, and completed 17 of 26 attempts for 138 yards and one touchdown. Was penciled in as Nevada's starter for 2003 and played in three games, throwing for 259 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions, while completing 22 of 47 attempts prior to sustaining a season-ending separated right (throwing) shoulder. He received a medical redshirt that year before returning for his redshirt sophomore season in 2004, when he started all 12 games and threw for 2,633 yards, 15 touchdowns and 12 interceptions with a 58-percent completion percentage. Rowe again started every game in 2005 (11), when he completed 62-percent of his attempts for 2,925 yards, 21 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. In 2006, Rowe started all 12 of 13 games he played (missed San Jose State game due to injury) and completed 64.7-percent of his passes for 1,907 yards, 17 touchdowns, and eight interceptions. During his career, Rowe has also rushed for 560 net yards and 13 touchdowns.
Rowe is a developmental prospect with ideal size. He is a confident leader and an accurate short-to-intermediate passer. However, Rowe comes from a passer-friendly "Pistol" offensive scheme that did not force him to make a lot of progression reads or downfield throws. He possesses just adequate arm strength and mobility. In our opinion, Rowe has value in the fourth-or-fifth round as a developmental quarterback prospect for teams that operate in a West Coast offensive scheme.

Brohm
04-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Unless TT thinks Corey Williams is the second coming of Reggie White and wants to blow 17 mil, I have no idea what they will spend it on. Maybe we can count the new turf/grass against the salary cap :shock:

green_bowl_packer
04-29-2007, 12:38 PM
He would save his reputation here, but it would likely complicate further negotiations with other teams or players. It's safer to just not say anything. Some fans will be upset no matter what you do.

I was going to say that he is consistent in doing this and not bad mouthing players, which is good policy I guess. I'm just not at the acceptance stage yet.

packers11
04-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Unless TT thinks Corey Williams is the second coming of Reggie White and wants to blow 17 mil, I have no idea what they will spend it on. Maybe we can count the new turf/grass against the salary cap :shock:

We could afford to pay Javon Walker now...

O wait... to late... :lol:

ok that was a sick joke... SORRY :twisted: :)

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 12:39 PM

There's 11 guys he's going to need to sign after this weekend, and Free Agency doesn't end until later this summer.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Just got off the golf course anyone give me a recap?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Titans

Antonio Johnson
DT | (6'3", 310, 5.15) | MISSISSIPPI STATE

Scouts Grade: 38

Flags: (M: MENTAL) Does not retain and learn the system(Y: YOUNG PLAYER) Need more film evaluation Selected by: Tennessee Titans
Pick (Overall): 15(152)

Strengths: Has a quick first step, does an adequate job of anticipating the snap and flashes the ability to disrupt plays in the backfield. Has adequate upper body strength and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Possesses good range, takes good angles to the ball and is relentless in pursuit. Possesses good athletic ability, appears comfortable in space and is a reliable tackler. Shows good closing speed and takes the shortest path to the quarterback. Generally gets hands up when isn't going to get to the quarterback and is tall enough to get hands on some passes.

Weaknesses: While he has steadily improved, he still lacks ideal starting experience. He is raw and needs lots of help in terms of his footwork and hand-usage. He shows flashes of big-play potential but continues to be too inconsistent. He lacks ideal lower body strength and plays too high at times, so he has some problems holding ground when teams run at him. Doesn't play with a great base, doesn't always use hands well and needs to polish overall technique. Marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

Overall: Johnson originally attended Mississippi Delta Community College before arriving at Mississippi State prior to the 2005 season. For the year he saw action in all 11 games as the third defensive tackle during his junior season and made 15 total tackles, three tackles-for-loss and 2.5 sacks. In 2006 Johnson appeared in all 12 games, with five starts, registering 21 total tackles, four tackles for loss, two fumble recoveries, and one blocked kick.
Johnson is an unpolished and inconsistent prospect that never served as a fulltime starter at the DI-A level. However, it's hard to ignore his excellent combination of size and agility. While he is far from a finished product, Johnson has more natural tools to work with than most late-round draft picks, which is why we think he's an intriguing project as an late-around pick from the 2007 class.

Brando19
04-29-2007, 12:42 PM

Bit of advice...go back to the golf course!

Bub
04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
i don't see us spending much cash on corey now. with our first round pick, we don't really have anyone important to sign next year.

green_bowl_packer
04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm liking the Rouse kid already. From JSO blog.

SUNDAY, April 29, 2007, 12:27 p.m.

By Dave Heller
Rouse saying the right things

You can probably already call Virgina Tech's Aaron Rouse a cheesehead.

On being drafted by the Packers: "I get to play with the legendary Brett Favre. I'm just trying to learn from guys like that. I'm just trying to contribute to the history of the Green Bay Packers in a good way."

About not being drafted until late in the third round: "That just supplies me with the fuel I need to play harder. For all the teams that slept on me, and took other guys before me, I'm just going to go out and prove that those other teams were wrong about me. I've got a chip on my shoulder, and it's shaped like a piece of cheese."

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Traded down 6 spots in the 4th, and picked up an extra 6th. Now have 3 consequitive picks in the 6th.

packers11
04-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm liking the Rouse kid already. From JSO blog.

SUNDAY, April 29, 2007, 12:27 p.m.

By Dave Heller

You can probably already call Virgina Tech's Aaron Rouse a cheesehead.

On being drafted by the Packers: "I get to play with the legendary Brett Favre. I'm just trying to learn from guys like that. I'm just trying to contribute to the history of the Green Bay Packers in a good way."

About not being drafted until late in the third round: "That just supplies me with the fuel I need to play harder. For all the teams that slept on me, and took other guys before me, I'm just going to go out and prove that those other teams were wrong about me. I've got a chip on my shoulder, and it's shaped like a piece of cheese."

GOOD... Hopefully he can beat Manuel for the SS position...

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 12:45 PM

We took an OT in round 4. Allen Barbre. Apparently he was a monster in D-II and plays mean from whistle to whistle. He needs to work a little on technique and strength, but he sounds like a good pick for down the road. The folks here were pretty happy about it.

GrnBay007
04-29-2007, 12:46 PM

I've got a chip on my shoulder, and it's shaped like a piece of cheese."

LOL.......awesome!! Best quote of the draft.....and maybe the year! :D

Bub
04-29-2007, 12:46 PM
"I've got a chip on my shoulder, and it's shaped like a piece of cheese."

that may be too much

Brando19
04-29-2007, 12:47 PM
"I've got a chip on my shoulder, and it's shaped like a piece of cheese."

that may be too much

Lol...I think this quote was taken after a long night of drinking and partying.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Doesn't the packers have over 17 mill in cap room... How are they going to spend it now??? I thought for sure they were saving some for Moss...

We had $21 million before the Barnett signing. Barnett cost $7.225 million against the cap this year, which drops it to $14 million. Also, subtract $6 million for rookies, and there's $8 million under the cap. Maybe sign a couple of player after cuts, emergency injury FA's or extend a contract or two at the end of the season

J-Rok
What's the word on picking the kicker. Bad move?

Lurker64
We're up next. What on earth does TT do?

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I think I'd be happy with both of Mr. Kiper's "Best Available".

GoPackGo
We're up next. What on earth does TT do?

darius walker, patrick, or troy smith

Rastak
Giants

Kevin Boss
TE | (6'6", 252, 4.78) | WESTERN OREGON

Scouts Grade: 59 Selected by: New York Giants
Pick (Overall): 16(153)

Strengths: Uses wide frame to shield defenders from the ball and has the strong hands to make the tough catch in traffic. Catches ball away from frame and is a reliable target over the middle. Played basketball in college, times jumps well and flashes the ability to catch the ball at its highest point. Possesses excellent body control, tracks the ball well and can adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Flashes the ability to change directions quickly and has the potential to develop into a smooth route runner. Plays with a good motor and flashes the ability to sustain blocks once in position.

Weaknesses: Doesn't show a second gear when tracking the ball downfield and isn't going to stretch many defenses. Runs hard and can pick up yards after contact but isn't going to make many defenders miss, lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a homerun threat after the catch. Doesn't deliver a violent initial punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Lacks ideal lower body strength and isn't much of a drive blocker at this point. Is coming off a season-ending shoulder injury and durability is a concern. Played at a small school and there are concerns about ability to make jump to the NFL.

Overall: Boss was redshirted in 2002. In 2003 he started six games, missing four with mononucleosis, and finished with nine catches for 60 yards (6.7 yard average) and one touchdown. Boss earned first team All-Great Northwest honors in 2004 after starting all 10 games and catching 39 passes for 506 yards (13.0 average) and five touchdowns. He started all 11 games in 2005 and caught 53 balls for 621 yards (11.7 average) and eight touchdowns, earning his second straight first team All-Great Northwest selection. Boss started six games in 2006 before a shoulder injury ended his season. He finished with 33 catches for 403 yards (12.2 average) and five touchdowns. Boss also played three seasons of basketball for the Wolves.
Boss is a small-school prospect who has the size, hands and athletic ability to develop into a quality backup. However, his lack of ideal speed limits his upside and he has to improve as a blocker. Boss projects as a mid-to-late round pick.

J-Rok
Woah, Darius Walker is still available?

pacfan
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
What's the word on picking the kicker. Bad move?

only if they have an injury history :x

Rastak
Rams

Cliff Ryan
DT | (6'2", 310, 5.07) | MICHIGAN STATE

Scouts Grade: 31 Selected by: St. Louis Rams
Pick (Overall): 17(154)

Strengths: While he doesn't have elite size, he gets under blocker's pads and flashes the ability to clog up the middle. Though occasionally guesses and gets caught out of position at times, reads keys well and can beat blockers to the point of attack. Flashes the ability to locate the ball carrier quickly, takes adequate angles to the ball and generally does a nice job of pursuing down the line of scrimmage. Drives legs once in position, has adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Shows adequate lateral mobility and runs line stunts well. Plays with a good motor and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite initial quickness and isn't going to make many plays in the backfield. Though plays with a good motor lacks ideal range, doesn't slip blocks in space well and isn't a sideline-to-sideline player. Isn't a great leaper and isn't going to get his hands on a lot of balls when doesn't get to the quarterback. Lacks elite bulk for an interior run stuffer and doesn't have the frame to comfortably add more weight. Slowed by a calf contusion during senior season and granted medical red-shirt during 2002 season so durability is somewhat of a concern.

Overall: Ryan appeared in two games as a true freshman in 2002 making two total tackles but then received a medical redshirt. In 2003, he saw action in all 13 contests (one start; Minnesota) registering 16 total tackles, two tackles for loss, and one sack. Ryan again played in every game (12) during the 2004 season making 11 starts and recorded 41 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, and one forced fumble. In 2005, he started all 11 games and finished the year with 34 total tackles, four tackles for loss, three sacks, one fumble recovery, and one forced fumble. Ryan started all 12 contests in 2006 amassing 25 total tackles, six tackles for loss, and four sacks. Over the course of his career, Ryan has played both stud defensive end and defensive tackle.
Ryan isn't an explosive playmaker and he lacks elite size. However, if he continues to add bulk and improve his technique he will have some value as a situational stuffer who can help keep the top two defensive tackles fresh. He projects as a late-round pick or a rookie free agent.

green_bowl_packer
From PFT's draft blog:

Readers are comparing Ted Thompson to Crazy Joe Davola. In appearance. And strategic skills.

Rastak
Panthers....

Dante Rosario
TE | (6'3", 244, 4.78) | OREGON

Scouts Grade: 51

Flags: (B: BULK/SIZE) Lacks size/bulk for position

Strengths: Possesses good athletic ability, shows good burst coming out of cuts and has the potential to develop into a crisp short-to-intermediate route-runner. Shows good focus while the ball is in the air, has good body control and rarely drops passes that should catch. Is tall enough to compete for jump balls and can use frame to shield defenders from the ball so is capable of developing into a productive red zone target. Takes adequate angles to blocks, plays under control in space and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Shows good balance and flashes the ability to sustain blocks once in position. Has experience lining up at fullback and is versatile. Recruited to play linebacker, can cover kicks and should make an early impact on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size for an in-line blocker and will need to sign with a team that utilizes H-Backs to be truly effective. Doesn't have the lower body strength to drive defenders off the ball and isn't big enough to engulf them at the point of attack. Doesn't show a second gear when tracking the ball downfield and isn't going to stretch defenses or go the distance when gets a seam.

Overall: Rosario began his career at fullback where as a true freshman in 2003 he carried 17 times for 55 yards (3.2 average), ran for one touchdown, and also caught 12 passes for 131 yards (10.9 average) and two receiving touchdowns. In 2004, he again lined up at fullback, carrying 10 times for 29 yards with one touchdown, and making 25 receptions for 278 yards (11.1 average) and six touchdowns. Rosario was switched to a tight end / H-Back role in 2005, when he played in all 12 games and caught 15 passes for 168 yards (11.2 average), and one touchdown. In 2006, he played in all 13 games, making 11 starts, and caught 42 passes for 426 yards (10.1 average) and one touchdown while earning All-PAC-10 honorable mention accolades.
Rosario isn't big enough to hold his own as an in-line blocker and his lack of speed limits his potential but he has the athletic ability and hands to develop into a quality NFL reserve. His versatility as an H-back that can fill in at tight end and fullback, while also contributing on special teams, gives Rosario value in the late rounds.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Bets please: My bet is a LB

Rastak
04-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Steelers

Cameron Stephenson
OG | (6'3", 306, 5.4) | RUTGERS

Scouts Grade: 48 Selected by: Pittsburgh Steelers
Pick (Overall): 19(156)

Strengths: Works hard and flashes the ability to sustain blocks once in positions. Moves down the line well, active and flashes the ability to reach defenders lined up outside frame. Plays under control in space and can get into position at the second level. Has adequate range, is big enough to engulf linebackers in the open field and does an adequate job of leading the way on screen passes. Gets adequate knee bend in pass set, has adequate size and flashes the ability to hold ground against bull rushers.

Weaknesses: Isn't explosive, doesn't deliver a violent initial punch and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and should have problems driving two-gap defensive tackles off the ball. Lacks elite size and isn't going to wear many defensive tackles down over the course of a game. Former defensive tackle that has just two year's experience lining up on offense so takes false steps and doesn't always get into sound position. Loses balance too much when pass blocking, footwork is inconsistent and has problems sliding with defenders in pass protection. Took a medical red-shirt in 2003, slowed by an ankle injury in 2004 and durability is a concern.

Overall: Stephenson originally attended Harbor College in 2002 where he earned All-State honors after starting at defensive tackle as a true freshman. He received a medical redshirt in 2003 after suffering a season-ending injury on the first play of the year. Stephenson transferred to Rutgers prior to the 2004 season and then played in seven of 11 games (one start; Temple) as an offensive lineman. In 2005, he played in all 12 contests as a defensive lineman, recording 10 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, and one fumble recovery. Stephenson then moved back to the offensive line in the spring of 2006 and started all 13 games at right guard in the fall.
Stephenson is a developmental prospect who is raw and needs to get stronger at the point of attack, but there's a lot to like about his blend of size and athletic ability. He projects as a late-round pick.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:52 PM

We had $21 million before the Barnett signing. Barnett cost $7.225 million against the cap this year, which drops it to $14 million. Also, subtract $6 million for rookies, and there's $8 million under the cap. Maybe sign a couple of player after cuts, emergency injury FA's or extend a contract or two at the end of the season

Did Hawk end up getting a bunch of this years money that nobody here was aware of ahead of time?

green_bowl_packer
Clowney?

RashanGary
I'll guess OG.

Tarlam!
Packers on the CLOCK!!

Brohm
04-29-2007, 12:53 PM
I thought Hawk split his bonus between last year and this year (?)

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:53 PM
From PFT's draft blog:

Readers are comparing Ted Thompson to Crazy Joe Davola. In appearance. And strategic skills.

Is that a good, or bad thing?

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Here we go...

It looks like...

hahahaha, commercial break. Nice.

Lurker64
Clowney?

DING DING DING!

J-Rok
David Clowney.

Nice name.

Scott Campbell
WR

BallHawk
Clowney, WR, Va Tech.

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 12:55 PM
What's up with VT?

RashanGary
I notice the Cowboys and Packers get the most commercials. There is probably some toher teams but you know they are doing it becuase we have some of the most hard core fans and they can make a buck by gettting us to watch more commercials.

Scott Campbell

There's your deep threat?

Rastak
Is this clown any good? J/K......looks like a good pick

David Clowney
WR | (6'0", 188, 4.36) | VIRGINIA TECH

Scouts Grade: 71

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

Strengths: Possesses adequate height and the frame to add bulk. Is quick and fast. Shows good initial burst and reaches top-speed in a hurry. Shows enough acceleration to consistently get over the top of DB's in man-to-man coverage as a vertical route runner. Displays soft hands and is reliable receiver. Shows good burst out of his breaks. He's a smooth and fluid athlete. Can shift his weight when getting in and out of cuts without needing to gear down. Lacks size and strength but shows toughness. Not afraid to go over the middle and shows the ability to hold onto the ball when taking a big hit. Gives a good effort as a blocker and works to sustain, despite marginal bulk and strength. Continues to improve with more experience. Shows a good work ethic and is willing to put in the time it takes to make a contribution in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Is an angular prospect with adequate height but marginal bulk. Lacks strength, which will lead to problems releasing off the line of scrimmage versus press coverage in the NFL. He gets pushed around by bigger defensive backs at times and he is taken out of his routes too easily. Still has room to improve in terms of setting up defenders and finding soft spots in zone coverage. Durability concern is minor; he broke his hand in the spring of 2005 and sat out the Cincinnati game in 2006 after undergoing an appendectomy.

Overall: Clowney notched 5 catches for 67 yards and one touchdown as a true freshman in 2003. In 2004, he played caught 20 passes for 263 yards (13.2 average), and two touchdowns. Clowney played in all 13 games for the Hokies in 2005, starting the final 12 contests. He led the team with 34 receptions for 619 yards (18.2 average) and scored three touchdowns. Clowney finished the 2006 season with 34 catches for 424 yards (12.5 average) after starting five of the 12 games he played in.
Clowney is a finesse receiver that needs to get bigger and stronger in order to hold up in the NFL. However, he is an underrated prospect with better skills than his production indicates because he played in a rotation at Virginia Tech and with an erratic quarterback (Sean Glennon) as a senior in 2006. In our opinion, Clowney has the speed, agility, instincts and hands to emerge as a No. 2 or No. 3 receiver in the NFL, which is why he could be a steal late on Day One of the 2007 draft.

Bretsky
For every trade down we've had we've been hosed with the previous picks, Jarrett, Rice picked up before the 2nd and now Wright. Picking in the middle of every round sucks.

Time to get caught up.

An interesting thought.

TT knew it was very likely Jarrett and Rice would be off the board by their 2nd round pick; he chose not to trade up for the two top tier WR's left w/o any assurance Moss was coming.

He seems to let things fall to him nicely and trade down if his guys are not there; but he chooses not to anticipate, make a bold move, and/or trade up when players that can really help him fall.

Jimx29
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/numbnutz/yahoo_adult/29.gif

Fosco33
04-29-2007, 12:56 PM
What's up with VT?

2nd VT of the day...

green_bowl_packer
I've ready that he's 4.3 speed, just wasn't in a passing offense at Virginia Tech.

Bretsky
The Packers now have back-to-back-to-back picks in the 6th round.

I can hear wist already

just a guy
just a guy
just a guy :lol:

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 12:57 PM
15. David Clowney, Virginia Tech (6-2¼, 188; 4.38)
Clowney had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran 4.36 and 4.40 in the 40, had a 32½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-3 long jump, 4.15 in the short and 6.99 in the cone drill. He was a wide receiver and safety in college and also lettered in basketball and track. Clowney played as a true freshman in 2003. He started 12 games in 2005, but only five in 2006 (he had an emergency appendectomy in September. Clowney has the height and speed necessary for this position. He's very fluid, has good character and toughness. However, he's very thin and not a good blocker. I'm not sure how well he can hold up for 16 games.

Brohm
2 receivers...Holliday and Martin must be a bit uncomfortable.

BallHawk
From NFLDC....

Strengths

Height is good and he has the frame to bulk up...Very elusive and runs well after the catch...Smooth and is a natural athlete...Great quickness and adequate timed speed with a burst...Tough for his size and will work across the middle...Has solid hands...Hard worker with sound intangibles...Also has some kick return potential.

Weaknesses

Has a slight build and is almost frail...Is not a great route runner...Durability is a concern...Is not very physical or aggressive...Needs to get stronger...Was never overly productive...Is not the deep threat you'd think he would be...Lacks great ball skills...Has trouble beating the jam...Upside could be limited at the next level.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 12:58 PM
He seems to let things fall to him nicely and trade down if his guys are not there; but he chooses not to anticipate, make a bold move, and/or trade up when players that can really help him fall.

Either that, or his board looks nothing like yours.

Brohm
With 3 back to back picks in the 6th, guessing 15 min commerical break :p

CyclonePackFan
Hard worker

Seems to be a common theme...no objections from here.

Bretsky

Yes.

no way

I get the feeling that sinking back into obscurity in New England is unacceptable. So they make bold moves to try to prevent it.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 12:59 PM
It seems TT is using the "If you throw enough shit at the wall, some of it has to stick" strategy....

I like it. :D

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 01:00 PM
sweet we have 3 picks in a row!!! Awesome!!!! WTF WHO CARES TT!!

Not to say that we wont get some camp bodies but if this was almost any other team you would have blackouts on almost every game! DAMN YOU FOR NOT GETTING A DECENT VET WR!!!!!

Ok Im done.

GO PACK!

GrnBay007
Michael Vick on now.

Poor me........"I can't take anymore"

The Leaper
Durability concern is minor; he broke his hand in the spring of 2005 and sat out the Cincinnati game in 2006 after undergoing an appendectomy.

Just goes to show how anal these reviews are. The guy breaks his hand (certainly possible...not a sign of fragility) and needs his appendix out and we label him a durability concern?

Sheesh.

The Leaper
04-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I get the feeling that sinking back into obscurity in New England is unacceptable. So they make bold moves to try to prevent it.

I agree. NE has had 2 picks in the first round for a couple years now. They don't always use both...typically they trade back and get 2 for next year. But they always want to have the ammo available if they need to move up. That is why they are the cream of the crop in the NFL in terms of managing the cap and remaining a contender year in and year out.

mmmdk
04-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I knew nothing about Clowney but I like what I read.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 01:03 PM

I agree. NE has had 2 picks in the first round for a couple years now. They don't always use both...typically they trade back and get 2 for next year. But they always want to have the ammo available if they need to move up. That is why they are the cream of the crop in the NFL in terms of managing the cap and remaining a contender year in and year out.

lol they are banking that extra pick each year because eventually the NFL will find out that they are actually over the cap every year ;)

Rastak
Lions pick a nobody....

Johnny Baldwin
ILB | ALABAMA A&M Selected by: Detroit Lions
Pick (Overall): 21(158)

CyclonePackFan

Yes.

no way

This just seems like such an un-Patriot draft. ONE first-day pick, and a Safety with some character concerns at that? It just sounds more like a Redskin draft than a Patriot draft, especially considering most of the players on NE were acquired through the draft.

I don't know...something just smells fishy about it.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping that TT is currently perfecting some kind unnatural science in order to combine Jones and Clowney into one super-receiver.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I gotta run for a bit.....should be back for the packers 6th round extraveganza.....

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
This just seems like such an un-Patriot draft. ONE first-day pick, and a Safety with some character concerns at that? It just sounds more like a Redskin draft than a Patriot draft, especially considering most of the players on NE were acquired through the draft.

What's this got to do with the Dolphins?

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2007, 01:07 PM

What's this got to do with the Dolphins?

lol, nice. I also forgot that they picked up a 1st and a 3rd next year.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 01:09 PM
So are we going to get a TE?

The Leaper
04-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Not much left worth getting at TE...a bunch of slow plodders who likely won't make the final roster. TE was extremely thin this year.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Hard worker

Seems to be a common theme...no objections from here.

I was going to say the same thing. Seems like character really matters in the Packers war room. At least, it has for most of the picks in Thompson's first 3 drafts.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Does Clowney have any experience returning kicks/punts? We could still use somebody for that role.

HarveyWallbangers
In the 7th round, I'm guessing they take this guy:

TE Anthony Pudewell, Nevada

HarveyWallbangers
Has Clark Harris and Joe Newton been drafted?

Tarlam!
04-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Does Clowney have any experience returning kicks/punts? We could still use somebody for that role.

Well, our WR coach is just saying he's quick enough and he'll be looked at. The scout who recommended him said he was not given that role at VT, but he played on ST as a gunner his senior year at his own request.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 01:19 PM
More on Clowney....

Pos:

Developing receiver with terrific playing speed. Displays sharpness running routes, gets separation from opponents and extends his hands, offering the quarterback a nice target. Nicely adjusts to the errant throw and makes the reception in stride. Displays strong hands and the ability to pull the fastball from the air. Possesses a straight-line burst of speed and beats defenders downfield.

Neg:

Undersized and struggles against larger defenders. Gives effort blocking, but is not effective. Marginally productive the past two seasons because of the rotational system Virginia Tech uses at wide out.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Has Clark Harris and Joe Newton been drafted?

Both of them are still on the board.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 01:21 PM
TT is on television.

did he give up anything interesting besides the same general cliches we hear every time he runs a press conference. I'm just in and trying to catch up with this monster

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 01:22 PM
How long do we suppose Thompson is going to take to make his 3 straight 6th round picks. Is there anything preventing him from taking 14 minutes an announcing all three at once?

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
did he give up anything interesting besides the same general cliches we hear every time he runs a press conference. I'm just in and trying to catch up with this monster

Nothing we haven't heard before.

green_bowl_packer
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
He's got a 9 minute YouTube video just as good as Meachem's or Bowe's, it's all first downs and touchdowns. He was pretty impressive, every catch was a Michael Vick bail out pass or him making something from nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVvPDJdFAp8