PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Live Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]

green_bowl_packer
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
The TE Allen would be typical TT, he had a good combine.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I thought we had three 7ths?

TT traded a 7th for 2 8ths. :DAWESOME I love the 8th round I hear we could get a sweet middle relief pitcher there....shyt wrong sport!

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 04:00 PM
And it's...

DeShawn Wynn RB Florida

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Hmmm... Deshawn Wynn, RB Florida.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Deshawn Wynn hmmm

Rastak
Another RB......

Deshawn Wynn
RB | (5'10", 232, 4.47) | FLORIDA

Scouts Grade: 67

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Possesses prototypical size for an NFL running back. Is thickly built with enough strength to break some tackles when he lowers his shoulder. He runs with good balance and shows the ability to make quick cuts. He is at his best working downhill and between the tackles. Shows good vision and natural instincts as a runner. Is quicker than fast. Shows good agility and body control. Also shows good initial burst to-and-through the line of scrimmage. He has good size and strength to match up at the point of attack in pass pro. He has upside as a blocker if his technique and recognition skills continue to improve. He is a decent weapon as an underneath receiver. He catches the ball well when facing the quarterback and he is tough to bring down once he gets a head of steam after the catch.

Weaknesses: An underachiever throughout most of his career. Showed flashes of breaking out as a senior but then suffered a knee injury that lingered throughout much of the second half of the 2006 season. He also had a lingering shoulder injury in 2005, so durability is a concern. There are worries regarding maturity level and work ethic. He doesn't always run as hard as he can and he occasionally will opt to run out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulder and taking on the defender. He lacks elusiveness and elite acceleration. He will never be a homerun threat in the NFL and he lacks the explosiveness to consistently turn the corner as an outside runner. His effort can be spotty as a blocker and receiver. He lacks good route running skills and needs much work in that facet of the game. Struggles to adjust to the poorly thrown pass and can look stiff as a receiver.

Overall: Wynn was redshirted in 2002. In 2003, he played in all 13 games seeing time at running back and on special teams. He finished the year with 540 rushing yards on 115 carries (4.7 average), scored seven touchdowns, and caught 12 passes for 82 yards and one touchdown. In 2004, Wynn played in eight games missing four contests (Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Florida State, Miami) due to a groin injury. He rushed for 217 yards on 58 carries (3.7 average) and five touchdowns and he also caught five passes for 75 yards. In 2005, Wynn missed the opener against Wyoming by apparently committing team violations but was not officially suspended and then played in 11 games, making six starts. He led the Gators with 621 rushing yards and seven rushing touchdowns on 130 carries (4.8 average) and had 12 receptions for 161 yards and two touchdowns. Wynn appeared in all 14 games in 2006, with 10 starts, and carried the ball 143 times for 699 yards (4.9 average) and six touchdowns and also added six catches for 58 yards.
Wynn has the size, power and agility to make an impact in the NFL. It looked as if the "light was coming on" early in his senior season but a lingering knee injury prevented him from finally reaching his full potential. There are also red flags regarding his durability, immaturity and work ethic that will cause him to slip in the 2007 draft. Wynn is too much of a risk to draft on the first day but he should come off the board shortly thereafter.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

green_bowl_packer
And it's...

DeShawn Wynn RB Florida

sounds like Marshawn, close enough!

Tony Oday
Hmmm... Deshawn Wynn, RB Florida.

ah jynx ;)

MasonCrosby
DeShawn Wynn... more RB depth...

GoPackGo
thats a good pick, shore up our stable of RB's.....

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 04:02 PM
At least he has a last name with a positive connotation.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Next up. Craig Dahl.
:D

packrulz
I do have a question.

Let's say you have a need at TE. Let's say you have one TE rated as a 1st round grade, one TE rated as a 2nd round grade, and then after that you think all of the TEs are pretty much horseshit and you'd rank all of them as 7th round grades, would you want your team to pick a TE in rounds 4, 5, or 6?

Seriously. I thought about this before the draft. TE is extremely weak. Olsen is a great receiver, but he can't block. He didn't deserve to be the #16 pick. However, both he and Miller were gone by the second round. After that, none of the TEs can run, and everybody's sleeper TE is short by TE standards.

I guess I don't have a problem with not reaching for a TE. Of course, this doesn't explain why Thompson didn't get Eric Johnson or anybody besides what they have. For that, he can be skewered. Hopefully, a TE becomes available. Otherwise, Zac Alcorn and Tory Humphrey better pull a Mark Chmura and be much improved.

They have maybe 6 safetys now, they really don't need anymore DB's.

So maybe go CB with this pick?

Rastak
Not a bad pick actually....but not really a need. I think they need a TE or a CB.

Brohm
Morency is a definate.

Beach Pope Jackson and Wynn battle it out for the 2 back-up slots.

GoPackGo
04-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Morency is a definate.

don't forget noah herron

Rastak
04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Vikes up in 4 picks....again I say

Kenny Scott or Chase Johnson.....

LL2

I've been gone all day...did we pick this guy?

J-Rok
I would think Jackson is a definite as well. Cutting a 2nd rounder isn't likely.

The other three will battle for the last spot..

Scott Campbell

Gambling?
The Bellagio?

Brohm
Morency is a definate.

don't forget noah herron

Indeed. Was actually thinking he would be in the mix as a back-up fullback (?)

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM

I've been gone all day...did we pick this guy?

yes we did

J-Rok
He's our next 1000 yard rusher. Want some kool-aid?

Tony Oday
Morency is a definate.

don't forget noah herron

Indeed. Was actually thinking he would be in the mix as a back-up fullback (?)

hehe I like Herron but I hope that he doesnt make the team because if he does we didnt have enough talent to knock him out and he will never be good :(

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Wynn weighs in at over 230. I think TT just go his fullback.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
lol they just said on NFLN that someone should have taken jeff Z from notre dame.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Maybe he'll be a football version of Jimmy "The Toy Cannon" Wynn.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Another WR to Minnesota.....

Chandler Williams
WR | (5'10", 184, 4.42) | FLORIDA INTL

Scouts Grade: 30 Selected by: Minnesota Vikings
Round: 7
Pick (Overall): 23(233)
View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: Fluid getting in and out of cuts and runs adequate short-to-intermediate routes. Snatches the ball out of the air and rarely drops passes that should catch. Isn't afraid to go over the middle, flashes the ability to make the tough catch in traffic and can hold onto the ball after taking a big hit. Reads blocks fairly well and can produce after the catch. Can return kickoffs and should contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Somewhat undersized, isn't physical and can get muscled out of routes. Doesn't use hands well, hasn't shown great upper body strength and should have problems getting a clean release working against press coverage. Lacks ideal explosiveness and played for a small school so there is some concern about ability to separate from man coverage at the NFL level. Isn't going to make multiple defenders miss, lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a threat to turn a catch underneath into a long gain. Suspended three games for the role he played in a brawl with Miami and character is somewhat of a concern.

Overall: Williams played in all 10 games in 2003, catching 29 passes for 460 yards (15.9 average) and two touchdowns. In 2004, he finished with 46 receptions in 10 games (four starts) for 525 yards (11.4 average) and three touchdowns. He also added 412 yards on 19 kickoff returns (21.7 average). In 2005, Williams started all 11 contests and caught 61 passes for 870 yards (14.3 average) and two touchdowns. During his senior season in 2006, he played in 10 out of 12 games (nine starts), while catching 67 passes for 664 yards (9.9 average) and one touchdown. He also added 130 yards on seven kickoff returns (18.6 average), and 86 yards and a touchdown on four punt returns (21.5 average) in 2006.
Williams could develop into a reliable sub-package possession receiver who can also return kickoffs but his lack of idyllic power and burst puts a low ceiling on his upside. He projects as a late-round pick or a rookie free agent.

Packgator
04-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Wynn never quite hit his stride with the Gators. Was a good runner but never quite reached that top level. Didn't seem to be well liked by Urban Meyer........maybe because he wasn't one of Meyer's guys. New team in a new place will probably do him good........as far as a fresh start. Hope he comes through as I like having some Gators playing for the Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
I loved the Vikings 1st day picks. However, it seems like the Vikings did their normal second day el foldo. They haven't had a good 5th-7th round pick this decade. (They really haven't even gotten much contributions from their 3rd and 4th round picks this decade either.) I do like the Allison pick, but I'm not very impressed with their second day. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but they haven't exactly shown they can dig up diamonds in the rough. Of course, what the hell do I know.

I think Thompson dropped the ball on James Jones, the two LB picks, and Wynn (unless he thinks he can play FB).

packers11
04-29-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree Harv... The James Jones pick still gets me going...

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Again, I don't know much. I will say that I liked Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, Aaron Rouse, and Allen Barbre before the draft. Not sure about Clowney. Some others like him. Wasn't that impressed with Wynn. I know nothing about the LBs, but taking two of them when a guy like CB David Irons gets drafted next seems like overkill. Hopefully, they can make the team as backups and contribute on teams--like a younger version of Tracy White. I like Rayner, but when you have 11 picks, it's okay to get the top PK late in the draft. I like that pick.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
(They really haven't even gotten much contributions from their 3rd and 4th round picks this decade either.)

Ray Edwards played well last year. Ontarrio Smith played well. I disagree.

Rastak
04-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I like Rayner, but when you have 11 picks, it's okay to get the top PK late in the draft. I like that pick.

Agree on this one....

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I know nothing about the LBs, but taking two of them when a guy like CB David Irons gets drafted next seems like overkill.

They apparently drafted Hall to be a FB instead of a LB, so that pick makes more sense if he can play the position.

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Any thoughts on Mr. Irrelevant? Detroit has the last pick (ironic). I'll say Tyrone Moss of Miami.

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm kinda bummed we didn't get Iloa though.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:31 PM
NFL.com DraftTracker:

18 192 Green Bay (from Pittsburgh) Bishop, Desmond ILB 5-2 239 California

5-2 :huh:

That is smaller than my mother :mrgreen:

Or a typo?

The Packers site has him at 6'2", considering that none of the site list "Height" as a weakness, I imagine it's a typo.
I'm sure it's a typo, but it's just fun imagining an NFL player who's 5'2" and 239 pounds. He'd look like Mickey Rooney. :P

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Some guy named C.J. Ah You just got drafted. I swear some teams just throw away their late round picks.
:D

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Sorry if someone's asked this, but what's the story on the 7th round compensatory pick? Where'd that come from?

Rastak
04-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Pack up in 2 picks....who do they grab?

MadtownPacker
04-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree Harv... The James Jones pick still gets me going...Should have just took WR Paul Williams.

GrnBay007
04-29-2007, 04:34 PM
wow, 7th round and we haven't picked anyone from the North Pole yet! :P

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Ooh. It's us! AND IT'S A COMMERCIAL AGAIN!

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Sorry if someone's asked this, but what's the story on the 7th round compensatory pick? Where'd that come from?

It's based on the net free agents that a team gains or loses. Nobody knows the exact system.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 04:36 PM
ESPN goes to a commercial.

This is hilarious.

Badgerinmaine
Maybe we should take Blitzen. :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
I just read on the Green Bay Press Gazette that the Packers may be looking at the LB, Korey Hall, as a FB. That would make more sense than drafting ILBs back-to-back.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM

It's based on the net free agents that a team gains or loses. Nobody knows the exact system.
Thanks

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM

with pick 243, Green Bay takes Rudolf. an interesting pick considering his glaring weakness with that shiny nose and that he doesn't play in any reindeer games...

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah Clarck Harris our future TE

MasonCrosby
hey a TE from Rutgers!

Lurker64
I just read on the Green Bay Press Gazette that the Packers may be looking at the LB, Korey Hall, as a FB. That would make more sense than drafting ILBs back-to-back.

He's apparently "a dynamo with 4.7 speed" he played RB in high school and is approximately the size of a ZBS FB.

Also, who did we pick?

packers11
Clark Harris
TE | (6'5", 261, 4.8) | RUTGERS

Scouts Grade: 56

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good overall size. Is tall with adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Takes solid angles as a blocker and will do a fine job of reaching his assignment on the second-level. Extremely productive receiver at the collegiate level. Shows good initial quickness. A big target in the passing game. Displays adequate-to-good athleticism for his size. Is instinctive and knows how to separate -- especially underneath. Is extremely productive as a short-to-intermediate receiver. Has had some minor durability problems early in career but has remained relatively healthy during final three seasons.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed and will never be a vertical threat in the NFL. He is mostly reliable as a receiver, but he will lose focus on occasion and seems to lose confidence if he drops a pass in a game (dropped three vs. Illinois in 2005 opener). Also possesses short arms. Not much of a threat after the catch. Can still add bulk and improve his lower body strength in order to match up better as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Is not as tough and physical as he likes people to believe. Doesn't give enough of an effort as a blocker and will shy away from physical matchups in the "phone booth". Also is a bit unpolished in terms of his footwork and hand-placement as a blocker.

Overall: Harris did not see any action in 2002 and was redshirted. He had surgery on his right shoulder at the end of the 2002 season and also injured his left knee in the following spring. He played in all 12 games during the 2003 season and caught 18 passes for 213 yards (11.8 average). In 2004, Harris started all 11 games and earned first team All-Big East honors after ranking second nationally for tight ends in receptions (53), receiving yards (725), and touchdowns (five), while averaging 13.7 yards per catch. He again started every game (12) for Rutgers in 2005 and finished the year with 584 yards and four touchdowns on 38 catches (15.4 average), earning his second consecutive first team All-Big East selection. Harris earned his third straight first team All-Big East selection in 2006 playing in all 13 games, with 12 starts, and catching 34 balls for 493 yards (14.5 average) and two touchdowns.
Harris is a highly productive receiver at the collegiate level. He is a big and reliable target as a short-to-intermediate pass catcher and he also can be a decent blocker in space. However, Harris is a vastly overrated prospect in our opinion. He lacks the speed to stretch the seam as a receiver in the NFL and he will get rag-dolled by bigger, stronger defenders as an in-line blocker at the next level. Harris is a talkative person with an inflated image of his value, yet his tough-guy image off-the-field doesn't translate to his blocking ability on the field. It will be a mistake if a team selects Harris any higher than the third round of the 2007 draft -- and even that might be too much of a reach.

Fosco33
7th rd TE - woopie.

Tony Oday
04-29-2007, 04:39 PM
6'5" and short arms? hehe

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 04:39 PM
so he's cocky? not packer people...

Rastak
04-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Clark Harris
TE | (6'5", 261, 4.8) | RUTGERS

Scouts Grade: 56 Selected by: Green Bay Packers
Round: 7
Pick (Overall): 33(243)

Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good overall size. Is tall with adequate bulk and room on his frame to get bigger. Takes solid angles as a blocker and will do a fine job of reaching his assignment on the second-level. Extremely productive receiver at the collegiate level. Shows good initial quickness. A big target in the passing game. Displays adequate-to-good athleticism for his size. Is instinctive and knows how to separate -- especially underneath. Is extremely productive as a short-to-intermediate receiver. Has had some minor durability problems early in career but has remained relatively healthy during final three seasons.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal top-end speed and will never be a vertical threat in the NFL. He is mostly reliable as a receiver, but he will lose focus on occasion and seems to lose confidence if he drops a pass in a game (dropped three vs. Illinois in 2005 opener). Also possesses short arms. Not much of a threat after the catch. Can still add bulk and improve his lower body strength in order to match up better as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Is not as tough and physical as he likes people to believe. Doesn't give enough of an effort as a blocker and will shy away from physical matchups in the "phone booth". Also is a bit unpolished in terms of his footwork and hand-placement as a blocker.

Overall: Harris did not see any action in 2002 and was redshirted. He had surgery on his right shoulder at the end of the 2002 season and also injured his left knee in the following spring. He played in all 12 games during the 2003 season and caught 18 passes for 213 yards (11.8 average). In 2004, Harris started all 11 games and earned first team All-Big East honors after ranking second nationally for tight ends in receptions (53), receiving yards (725), and touchdowns (five), while averaging 13.7 yards per catch. He again started every game (12) for Rutgers in 2005 and finished the year with 584 yards and four touchdowns on 38 catches (15.4 average), earning his second consecutive first team All-Big East selection. Harris earned his third straight first team All-Big East selection in 2006 playing in all 13 games, with 12 starts, and catching 34 balls for 493 yards (14.5 average) and two touchdowns.
Harris is a highly productive receiver at the collegiate level. He is a big and reliable target as a short-to-intermediate pass catcher and he also can be a decent blocker in space. However, Harris is a vastly overrated prospect in our opinion. He lacks the speed to stretch the seam as a receiver in the NFL and he will get rag-dolled by bigger, stronger defenders as an in-line blocker at the next level. Harris is a talkative person with an inflated image of his value, yet his tough-guy image off-the-field doesn't translate to his blocking ability on the field. It will be a mistake if a team selects Harris any higher than the third round of the 2007 draft -- and even that might be too much of a reach.

GrnBay007

Barney? :shock:

Lurker64
Practice squad kind of guy, 7th round seems fair.

Tony Oday

Barney? :shock:

lol I was thinking of Trex agains kong :)

Rastak
Adios guys, the draft is pretty much a wrap.....

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
There you go Bretsky :thank:

J-Rok
Now it's time for undrafted free agents. Woooo! Time to open another bottle!

MasonCrosby
so now come the grade the draft threads?

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM

with pick 243, Green Bay takes Rudolf. an interesting pick considering his glaring weakness with that shiny nose and that he doesn't play in any reindeer games...
Rudolph lacks size, but does have better Wonderlic scores than Blitzen.

CyclonePackFan
Clark Harris, Rutgers (6-5½, 261, 4.81)
Harris had a complete workout at the Combine, running his two 40s in 4.80 and 4.82 seconds. He also recorded a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-4 long jump and 21 bench presses. He played tight end and defensive end in high school. He also played basketball and competed in track. He redshirted in 2002 and started 35 games from 2004-06. He has good hands but is not a good blocker. H-back is his only position

J-Rok
Oh, Santa was already drafted? I must've been in the bathroom.

Badgerinmaine
Nice work on posting the draft profiles, Rastak. Thanks!

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 04:44 PM

It melted. Global Warming. Oops! Wrong Forum.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:44 PM
They say he's lost a step, but he's probably leaner than Gilbert Brown was.

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 04:45 PM
They say he's lost a step, but he's probably leaner than Gilbert Brown was.

i still say passing on Dasher in round 2 and letting him go to Detroit was a huge blunder...Dasher's intangibles are off the charts...

J-Rok
Oh, it must've been the hamstring pull during one of his chimney exercises.

GrnBay007

It melted. Global Warming. Oops! Wrong Forum.

:lol:

Shh!!

HarveyWallbangers
There wasn't a hole lot separating the Matt Spaeths, Scott Chandlers and Ben Patricks from this guy. I think it was the correct choice waiting to get a guy like this. Quite honestly, I'm not sure any of the TEs after Olsen and Miller is a good bet to develop into an NFL starter.

J-Rok
04-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Let's just hope a Favre fireball doesn't bounce twenty feet in the air off of his hands.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh, it must've been the hamstring pull during one of his chimney exercises. :lol:

In this prime, though, nobody could bring it like Santa--and you talk about a rusher--getting to all those homes in one night proves it.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 04:49 PM
There wasn't a hole lot separating the Matt Spaeths, Scott Chandlers and Ben Patricks from this guy. I think it was the correct choice waiting to get a guy like this. Quite honestly, I'm not sure any of the TEs after Olsen and Miller is a good bet to develop into an NFL starter.

Listen up, YOU!

Thompson should have found a good 1st year starter with every one of his 1st 4 picks.

He would have been the only one in the draft probably to ever do that but according to folks here he should have invented good starters at positions of need and then drafted them.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I think you're probably right.

MasonCrosby
04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
so what undrafted players does TT go after? Darius Walker? Rhema McKnight? Chris Leak?

i don't think any of those three are what TT is looking for

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Harris looks pretty good in his draft video, but I must say that I've never seen a guy get tackled at the 1 yard line as much as him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb

GrnBay007
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
115 pages last year and 155 this year!

Was great to get everyone's input on the draft...thanks!

GO PACK!! (how many days till the season opener?)

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Congrats to Mr. Irrelevant!

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 05:11 PM
So, uh, Darius Walker, how'd that work out for you?

Idiot.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 05:17 PM

Speaking of Colledge, I wonder if any other NFL teams have 2 Boise State guys on their roster?

Lurker64
04-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Speaking of Colledge, I wonder if any other NFL teams have 2 Boise State guys on their roster?

Let's get Zabransky as a FA so we can have three.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Clark Harris

It will be a mistake if a team selects Harris any higher than the third round of the 2007 draft -- and even that might be too much of a reach.

Well we certainly didn't draft him any higher than the third round. Hopefully a good value.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Didn't he get drafted?

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
I do have a question.

Let's say you have a need at TE. Let's say you have one TE rated as a 1st round grade, one TE rated as a 2nd round grade, and then after that you think all of the TEs are pretty much horseshit and you'd rank all of them as 7th round grades, would you want your team to pick a TE in rounds 4, 5, or 6?

Seriously. I thought about this before the draft. TE is extremely weak. Olsen is a great receiver, but he can't block. He didn't deserve to be the #16 pick. However, both he and Miller were gone by the second round. After that, none of the TEs can run, and everybody's sleeper TE is short by TE standards.

I guess I don't have a problem with not reaching for a TE. Of course, this doesn't explain why Thompson didn't get Eric Johnson or anybody besides what they have. For that, he can be skewered. Hopefully, a TE becomes available. Otherwise, Zac Alcorn and Tory Humphrey better pull a Mark Chmura and be much improved.

You beat me to it; if the position was so weak I'd have covered the bases before the draft.

BallHawk
04-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Interesting tidbit I found on kffl.com

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears will likely look to trade DE Alex Brown, after drafting DE Dan Bazuin in their second-round pick.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 05:32 PM

Outstanding; a 7th round draft pick to be our playmaker at TE :lol:

Freak Out
04-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Any time the Packers draft a Scarlett Knight I think that alone makes the draft a success.

MJZiggy
04-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Outstanding; a 7th round draft pick to be our playmaker at TE :lol:

Worked for Colston...

(and yes I do know he wasn't a TE)

mraynrand
04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
The funny thing about the 7th round TE is his scouting report sounds like an assessment of Bubba Franks after last season. In other words, he's starting off his career equivalent to a broken down Bubba Franks. Here's betting that David Martin will be looking mighty good to the Packers four games in.

mraynrand
04-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Harris looks pretty good in his draft video, but I must say that I've never seen a guy get tackled at the 1 yard line as much as him.

It's like watching the 1981 Bengals.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Didn't he get drafted?
Nope:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Zabransky

And, of course, Wikipedia is always 100% accurate, so this can't be wrong :wink:

retailguy
04-29-2007, 06:56 PM
The funny thing about the 7th round TE is his scouting report sounds like an assessment of Bubba Franks after last season. In other words, he's starting off his career equivalent to a broken down Bubba Franks. Here's betting that David Martin will be looking mighty good to the Packers four games in.

I see no evidence that they won't need a significant dose of "max protect" next season either. TE is not a major deal. Getting a 3rd WR is more important, because the TE will be busy blocking along with the FB and the RB.

We're facing some pretty good defenses in 07... schedule a lot different than 06...

Partial
04-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Well, this might be the draft that I am the least fired up about the players. It seems they really placed on a premium on special teams.

packers11
04-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Anyone notice how many INTs harrell gets for a DT... haha I thought it was pretty funny during the video...

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I think the DT will play starter minutes in our DT rotation.

The RB will split carries in our RB committee.

The WR will play some offense and might get in on ST's as a gunner or emergency returner

We might have gotten our starting FB

We got a good ST player in the S from VT

We got some depth and ST help later

We have some guys who can develop into reliable core starters.

Not a flashy draft but it could be a productive one over time.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 07:50 PM

The WR will play some offense and might get in on ST's as a gunner or emergency returner

Where is our starting FB ? The RB pick, or are you saying we might convert a LB to FB and he'll start. Cuz that'd be taking the spiked Kool Aide to new levels :wink:

retailguy
04-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Which guy says the end of "max protect"?

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I thought the LB was also a FB, no?

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
The end of max protect will come with the growth of the 3 young, promising lineman and IMO will be the biggest difference in this years offense vs last years.

Also, we have another OT who we have a chance at grooming ot replace one of the aging ones. Depth is a good thing; it prevents you from crippling yourself in the UFA market.

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 07:58 PM
"" think the DT will play starter minutes in our DT rotation.

completely agree, and he might make others a bit better

Agree again, and I would hope so because Morency is not the answer

Not what we were looking for in a #3 WR, but I agree he will play "some offense and special teams"

just don't see it

Good chance that might be true

No idea if that is the case, but I like the kicker selection

this sounds like the remark of a politician :wink:

Not a flashy draft but it could be a productive one over time.""

agree completely

Bretsky
04-29-2007, 07:59 PM
I thought the LB was also a FB, no?

No, he was not; Green Bay said they might convert him to be one

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 08:03 PM
On the FB thing,

I see. I was sort of in and out at the end there.

retailguy
04-29-2007, 08:11 PM
The end of max protect will come with the growth of the 3 young, promising lineman and IMO will be the biggest difference in this years offense vs last years.

Also, we have another OT who we have a chance at grooming ot replace one of the aging ones. Depth is a good thing; it prevents you from crippling yourself in the UFA market.

What week do you see that coming in? Our OL doesn't match up very well against most of the teams we will face before the bye week.

By then, their confidence as a unit could be shot.

Don't you think if you were Jim Johnson, you'd have something pretty special cooked up for week 1?

How about week 3 against San Diego? How do you think we stack up there?

How about Minny, Chicago, and Washington? Looks like pretty good D's with some star players who should be able to penetrate the OL without Max Protect...

The only game I see with potential is the Giants and if Strahan is on, there goes the FB.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Interesting take RG, it will certainly be a challenge.

I have high expectations for those guys. We'll find out early what they are made of.

RashanGary
04-29-2007, 08:23 PM
On the bright side, they get to line up against Kamp, Williams, Jenkins, PIckett, Harrell, KGB and company every day. Let's hope they worked hard to get that second year power and that they improve on their technique.

It's certainly not a sure thing fix but I don't think you can count on them failing either.

There is a lot of wait and see. Thompson has fait in his young guys. He seems to count a lot on hsi guys being the core of this team.

retailguy
04-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Interesting take RG, it will certainly be a challenge.

I have high expectations for those guys. We'll find out early what they are made of.

So, if I'm right, then what's the back-up plan? It damn well better be max protect, or Favre will get killed and that brand spanking new RB will be in the hospital with multiple broken bones.

Now you see why I was so upset about "an old aging" Ahman Green moving to Houston?

He knew how to run behind this line. This line needs more time. A LOT more time. Green could've given that to them. Not so sure that these backs will be able to buy them the time they need. The 3rd WR would've helped here also...

But, you're right, we'll see early. If we don't see enough improvement, it could signal a very long year.

Joemailman
04-29-2007, 09:33 PM
If the line struggles, we may be better off with Jackson than we were with Green. It looks to me like Jackson is a more elusive runner than Green. He doesn't have the breakaway speed of Green, but he will make more people miss. Really though, if the OL struggles, the running game will suffer no matter who is running the ball.

retailguy
04-29-2007, 09:44 PM
If the line struggles, we may be better off with Jackson than we were with Green. It looks to me like Jackson is a more elusive runner than Green. He doesn't have the breakaway speed of Green, but he will make more people miss. Really though, if the OL struggles, the running game will suffer no matter who is running the ball.

Joe, you think a ROOKIE nfl running back is going to fully understand how to run behind a bad NFL line? Don't you think that a savvy veteran, who knows the NFL can run behind the line better than a rookie, even a very promising one?

Just don't agree there, but do agree that running behind the line will suffer... but, Green proved he could be a 1,000 yard back behind that very line...

what has Jackson proved?

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I will give TT credit for this:

He was smart enough to recognize the draft wasn't exceptionally deep and he would be better suited to draft people who love football and will be able to contribute on special teams for a couple years rather than planning on them as simply future depth.

Otherwise I cannot understand why he'd draft an ILB this year, let alone two.

retailguy
04-29-2007, 09:49 PM

He was smart enough to recognize the draft wasn't exceptionally deep and he would be better suited to draft people who love football and will be able to contribute on special teams for a couple years rather than planning on them as simply future depth.

Shouldn't he have figured this out in February and plugged a few holes in Free Agency?

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

Shouldn't he have figured this out in February and plugged a few holes in Free Agency?

He probably should have added a tight end. That Miami one would make our offense look a lot better right now. He was at least tall and fast.

Partial
04-29-2007, 09:50 PM
What's Herman Moore doing these days? I say bring him in for a try-out.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Referring to Jones on draft day. I wonder if Champ Bailey thinks he's big enough.

Yeah, that's small in comparison with what we need. We don't need another 6'1" WR.

Driver 6'0" 190
Francis 6'1" 193
Jennings 5' 11" 197
Ferguson 6'1" 210

And this guy is big how?

RashanGary
11-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Looking back, Harrell has underperformed by quite a bit but Jones played better than we ever expected.

Retailguy's pass protect doom and gloom didn't exactly materialize. It's one thing to state opinions, and quite another to act like RG and go cliff jumping before the season even starts.

Carolina_Packer
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Looking back, Harrell has underperformed by quite a bit but Jones played better than we ever expected.

Retailguy's pass protect doom and gloom didn't exactly materialize. It's one thing to state opinions, and quite another to act like RG and go cliff jumping before the season even starts.

At least he and several others have come around and are enjoying the season. I don't think anyone, even TT, think that they are a finished product by any means, so you build in chunks and when you can, but building is not just adding players, but making the ones you have better by their development and this coaching staff and the mix of players seems to be a good match for that.

There are others, as you know, JH, who have not come around this year, and probably never will, because they don't care for TT and will never let themselves admit that he deserves much credit. Who cares about credit when you are winning? It's a worthless exercise. The front office and coaching staff is working together as much as the coaching staff and the players are and it's clicking.

Now we just need to beat Carolina!

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Looks that way....nice pick.....looks like the Vikings have their choice of Peterson or Quinn.....a bit surprising....don't F it up Spielman.....

Come on! Don't take Peterson.

Darn it!

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
James Jones

To Make Mr Jennings Happy, I'd like to pronnounce WTF

Funny.

hoosier
11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Looks that way....nice pick.....looks like the Vikings have their choice of Peterson or Quinn.....a bit surprising....don't F it up Spielman.....

Come on! Don't take Peterson.

Darn it!

Knowing what we know now--that Peterson is all-world running back from day 1--while also keeping in mind his reputation for brittleness, it would interesting to see where he'd go in a redo of the draft. I doubt he makes it past #4 (TB) but would one of the top three (Oak, Det, Clev) scoop him up first? Or do they shy away because of the injury risk together with the fact that decent running backs aren't too hard to find (see Ryan Grant)?

RashanGary
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Ted Thompson would still take Harrell. I'm starting to wonder if he's going to turn it on. Jolly became a really good player in a year. I really hope the same happens with Harrell.

BallHawk
04-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Bumped.

Lurker64
04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Where is our starting FB ? The RB pick, or are you saying we might convert a LB to FB and he'll start. Cuz that'd be taking the spiked Kool Aide to new levels :wink:

Pass me some of that Kool-Aid.

MJZiggy
04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
You sure it's kool-aid?

Partial
04-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Anyone else bummed that the draft is no longer an all-day event? I have always loved getting up to watch the damn thing. Even though it seems to drag on and on and on.

Bretsky
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Pass me some of that Kool-Aid.

This year I'm requesting that Mad send me some special brownies so I'm a little more mellow when GB drafts. I had lots of bad views last year in this master of a thread :lol:

BallHawk
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Will this year's draft thread surpass the whopping 157 pages of last year?

MJZiggy
04-20-2008, 06:48 PM
From the aura of sheer apathy, I have my doubts.

Lurker64
04-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Will this year's draft thread surpass the whopping 157 pages of last year?

I'm probably good for 25 pages, how about you?

red
04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
So if AP falls to 6 are the Pack going to try to trade up?Hell no they aint!!! TT will find someone who works out just as well in round 2.

lol, yeah. how did that work out for us?

AP, barndon jackson

they're like clones

BallHawk
04-20-2008, 07:49 PM
It doesn't looked like this guy produced like they did though

That's cause he did'nt produce. Martin and Holliday have nothing to worry about from this guy...........

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w85/JoshOMS8/FamilyGuyFail.jpg

Rastak
04-20-2008, 07:50 PM
So if AP falls to 6 are the Pack going to try to trade up?Hell no they aint!!! TT will find someone who works out just as well in round 2.

lol, yeah. how did that work out for us?

AP, barndon jackson

they're like clones

No offense Mad but that is classic.

Scott Campbell
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Not one chance in a million. Beck is a bust.

I don't think you've ever been so sure of anything :)

I almost sense sarcasm

Ahem. The former BYU 2nd rounder didn't even make it to his 3rd training camp.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/27/dolphins-cut-john-beck/

Scott Campbell
04-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Fins got John Beck. That's a good pick, he might be better than Quinn in the longrun.

Not one chance in a million. Beck is a bust.

Oh, c'mon, aren't you supposed to be the Polygamy Rat?

And I'd be pretty surprised if Brian Johnson survives his tryout.