PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Live Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Merlin
04-28-2007, 02:38 PM
I would say at this point that a Moss trade is out of the question. TT should have traded the #1 overall for Moss straight up. We would get a probowl WR for at least 3 years (or a rookie who may bolt after 3 years) who can produce NOW.

WHAT A DUMBASS....

I sure hope the Packers management is watching because TT, THIS ISN'T YOUR GOD DAMN TEAM!

Actually, until he's fired it is.

No, he is the GM. He doesn't own the damn team. He is an employee and that's it.

Bretsky
can't tell me we couldn't trade back and gotten that same trade with Denver, and still get Harrell. I'm just not happy at all over this. Just in complete surprise and disappointment.

GOOD POINT

ZachMN
Last I checked in the NFL they actually play football games to determine the winner not by arguing or "bench racing". Every year people rant and rave about so and so and everyyear some guys are hits and some guys are misses. I like the idea of a kick ass defense for the day when Favre retires because the league chews up and spits out qbs and we will be better off in a cold enviro ment having a mean and nasty defense that keeps our offense on the field.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-28-2007, 02:39 PM
It's laughable how people wanted to go Offense with the first pick when all along it was going to be Defense, the writing was on the wall. TT is building a championship defense, you can't lose if the other team can't score, remember the 02'(i think) Ravens?

I'll bet anyone here via paypal 50$ the Packers D finishes in the top 9 next year, and one of the top 4 in the NFC.

Harrell will have NOTHING to do with how the Packers defense finishes this season. We already have very good DT's. Taking Quinn and using him for bait or trading out of the first round was the right thing to do instead of taking a 3rd round at best player. Now we have to overpay the guy even though he isn't worth anything but the rookie minimum.

3rd round at best? Wow you must be bat-shit crazy, I bet you believe Wisconsin football will win the national championship this year too huh?

Lurker64
The way this first rd is shaping up some good offensive players are going to be slipping to the 2nd rd.

Which is exactly why the Harrell pick makes sense to me. Pick the player you like the most in the first, pick the best WR/RB left in the second, pick the best RB/WR available in the third and we've got a good day 1. One of Bowe, Jarrett, Meachem, or Rice is probably going to be there in the second (or at least within striking distance of trading up.)

I admit, I was surprised but I'm coming to like the pick. The knock on top DEs is usually their heart. You can't really question the heart on this guy. His durability is a question, but I'm willing to bet that the draftniks over at Lambeau thought of that already.

BallHawk
It's laughable how people wanted to go Offense with the first pick when all along it was going to be Defense, the writing was on the wall. TT is building a championship defense, you can't lose if the other team can't score, remember the 02'(i think) Ravens?

I'll bet anyone here via paypal 50$ the Packers D finishes in the top 9 next year, and one of the top 4 in the NFC.

Since you're in TN your word is a bit more credible than others.

Be honest, nobody has religiously watched Harrell or even watch him semi-religiously. Let it play out. The kid's durability is a concern, but he is smart and has a lot of potential.

Cautiously optimistic.

4and12to12and4

Harrell will have NOTHING to do with how the Packers defense finishes this season. We already have very good DT's. Taking Quinn and using him for bait or trading out of the first round was the right thing to do instead of taking a 3rd round at best player. Now we have to overpay the guy even though he isn't worth anything but the rookie minimum.

so, he's a third rounder? thats why the actual "scouts" say he couldve been in the top ten, but for the injury, but, you must know more about him than them i guess. Are you related or something?

Merlin
04-28-2007, 02:40 PM
I would say at this point that a Moss trade is out of the question. TT should have traded the #1 overall for Moss straight up. We would get a probowl WR for at least 3 years (or a rookie who may bolt after 3 years) who can produce NOW.

WHAT A DUMBASS....

I sure hope the Packers management is watching because TT, THIS ISN'T YOUR GOD DAMN TEAM!

Repeat, this is not Madden, let's not forget the fact that Moss can be gotten for a 2nd rounder why would you even say give up a first?

Read what I said:

Moss = 3-4 year deal, plays 2-3 years and produces now
Rookie in 1st round = 3-4 year deal, will not start, possibility of being let go after 2-3 years or not being resigned because demands are too high.

Gamble vs Sure thing.

DUH.

Rastak
The same way people know Adrian Peterson will get hurt next year I guess....

Well, if what they are saying about Harrell is true (that he's a top 10 talent that is an injury risk), maybe he's good value at that spot. I'm not going to rip the Vikings pick because I liked the pick for them, but it's probably pretty similar. Peterson is a top 3 talent, injury concerns dropped him, but he's good value at #7. Harrell could be a top 10 talent, injury concerns dropped him, but he's good value at #16. I'm sure Viking fans aren't concerned about him as the pick, but none of that really matters. Also, personally, I never said that Peterson was going to get injured. I said there were injury concerns about him. Same can be said for this guy.

I wasn't talking about you Harv....more Madtown. I honestly doesn't know too much about the guy. He was a first round grade on the scouts inc board. I'm still surprised the Pack didn't draft a safety or a wide reciever.

Packnut
Debating his talent is pointless cause it's opinion. What is FACT is the guy is injury prone. He'll never be on the field long enough to judge his talent.

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Pat Kirwan, NFL.COM nailed thius pick. He picked Harrell to GB.

BallHawk
The way this first rd is shaping up some good offensive players are going to be slipping to the 2nd rd.

Which is exactly why the Harrell pick makes sense to me. Pick the player you like the most in the first, pick the best WR/RB left in the second, pick the best RB/WR available in the third and we've got a good day 1. One of Bowe, Jarrett, Meachem, or Rice is probably going to be there in the second (or at least within striking distance of trading up.)

I admit, I was surprised but I'm coming to like the pick.

Amen to that. Very well said.

HarveyWallbangers

This is opinion. It all depends on just how good Harrell is. We have a solid DL, but don't have a stud in the middle. We have solid players. A stud could indeed help the defense immensely. We'll see if he's that player.

BallHawk
Meachem is going to TN here.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 02:42 PM

WHAT A DUMBASS....

Actually, until he's fired it is.

No, he is the GM. He doesn't own the damn team. He is an employee and that's it.

He makes all decisions until he's canned so say what you want but in effect he does have a complete free reign which equates to ownership for the moment.

Sparkey
THere are a lot of whining cry baby, fair weather packer fans on this thread. Thompson knows a hell of a lot more about the ability of incoming players than any of us casual morons do.

Merlin

3rd round at best? Wow you must be bat-shit crazy, I bet you believe Wisconsin football will win the national championship this year too huh?

I would bet Wisconsin will win it before Tennessee but of course I am not a homer like you. The guy is damaged goods coming in. He isn't 100%, didn't play most of the season, he is 3rd round at best and no way is he a 1st rounder let alone high second, maybe a late second but even that is a stretch.

TheCheese
I like what Im hearing about him, high characters and an on the field general. I wanted Okoye strictly for those reasons.

Bretsky
Tennessee is going Meachem

I'm over this pick; maybe the Turtle is going to trade Corey Williams for Moss as he'll warrant some money.

Who knows.

But we need more talent on offense to compete next year.

TennesseePackerBacker

Be honest, nobody has religiously watched Harrell or even watch him semi-religiously. Let it play out. The kid's durability is a concern, but he is smart and has a lot of potential.

Cautiously optimistic.

His junior season he really started coming on, He was expected to be a real force his senior year. If you don't believe me and only get your knowledge from video games and websites then go check out NCAA from last year, Harrell was rated 90+ BEFORE the season ever started.

btw at pick 19 the Titans pick Meachem...Young to Meachem will be huge for years.

b bulldog
6th rated Dlineman in draft

esoxx

Sounds more like a homer assessment than a credible one to me.

MateoInMex
I guess as long as TT doesn't give away picks to move up and draft a fu**ing punter, I can wait and see what else TT plans on doing in this draft.

Guiness
04-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I guess this is payback to me for laughing at Buffalo when the took John McCargo last year.

Does Meacham go to Tenn now?

mmmdk
All acording to plan - DEFENSE - ...now draft Sydney Rice with 2nd pick.

Packer D line is what got us to the Superbowl in 1996/97 not WRs....oh and a ST guy...need that too :P

4and12to12and4

I would bet Wisconsin will win it before Tennessee but of course I am not a homer like you. The guy is damaged goods coming in. He isn't 100%, didn't play most of the season, he is 3rd round at best and no way is he a 1st rounder let alone high second, maybe a late second but even that is a stretch.

Wasn't favre a 3rd rounder? I guess he's a lock for the hall of fame then. LOL

TennesseePackerBacker
04-28-2007, 02:44 PM

:lol: you have done nothing in this thread but spout off bad facts and your own opinions, which mean nothing by the way.

before calling me a homer look in the mirror

Merlin
THere are a lot of whining cry baby, fair weather packer fans on this thread. Thompson knows a hell of a lot more about the ability of incoming players than any of us casual morons do.

Let's ponder this for a second. Who was the BPA when we picked? What needs did we have?

I think you are giving TT more credit then he deserves. He has yet to show he even knows what the game is.

lod01
No.

MJZiggy

I would bet Wisconsin will win it before Tennessee but of course I am not a homer like you. The guy is damaged goods coming in. He isn't 100%, didn't play most of the season, he is 3rd round at best and no way is he a 1st rounder let alone high second, maybe a late second but even that is a stretch.[/quote]

Wasn't favre a 3rd rounder? I guess he's a lock for the hall of fame then. LOL[/quote]

Favre was drafted in Rd. 2

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 02:45 PM

He was picked in round 2

4and12to12and4
All acording to plan - DEFENSE - ...now draft Sydney Rice with 2nd pick.

Packer D line is what got us to the Superbowl in 1996/97 not WRs....oh and a ST guy...need that too :P

exactly, although, i wouldnt even waste a second round pick on a receiver this year. We need depth on the o line first. its all about the lines on both sides, we have shut down corners fast backers, a great QB and adequate to good skill players on offense.

BallHawk

He's watched more of him than anybody else on here.

Merlin
04-28-2007, 02:46 PM

:lol: you have done nothing in this thread but spout off bad facts and your own opinions, which mean nothing by the way.

before calling me a homer look in the mirror

Bad facts? He is 100%? He played last season? If he wasn't from Tenn. (captain homer) your opinion would change. As far as "me thinking the Badgers will win the NC, you thought of that all on your own pal. I don't need a mirror because you are defending an injured player from Tenn. I am defending who?

WOW...

Brainerd

2nd Round. 32nd overall as i recall. Would have been a 1st rounder today. I hear he's still mad he didn't go in the first round.

esoxx

He was picked in round 2

He also didn't think Meachem or any of the WR's left on the board would make the team and is banking on K-Rob for big things. :roll:

4and12to12and4

He was picked in round 2

Barely, close enough, just tryin to make a point.

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Was Jarvis moss a reach in your opinion because he was rated behind Harrell on NFL.com

Packgator
[quote="TennesseePackerBacker"][quote="Merlin"][quote=TennesseePackerBacker]he is 3rd round at best and no way is he a 1st rounder let alone high second, maybe a late second but even that is a stretch.

Almost every mock (for what it's worth) had him mid to late first.

TheCheese
I am so glad we choose Hawk last year, what a perfect player to build a D around.

Rastak
From the ESPN live draft chat......

KEITH KIDD: With 16th pick Green Bay selects Justin Harrell. Green Bay is a true value team, they rely heavily on their player stack, and Harrell was easily the best player on the board. The addition of Harrell continues to the youth movement of the defensive side. Thompson is building this team around a tough defense. I thought the pick here could have been Alan Branch or a playmaking WR. Harrell is an impresive athlete for his size, but has never been a really effective inside pass rusher. But he has potenital to develop into a good two down player in the NFL. It is a little bit of a reach in our view since he was ranked 30th on our board.

edit: not ripping you guys, he does say he was the BPA

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Whoever said a third rounder is totally misguided

Charles Woodson
From the ESPN live draft chat......

KEITH KIDD: With 16th pick Green Bay selects Justin Harrell. Green Bay is a true value team, they rely heavily on their player stack, and Harrell was easily the best player on the board. The addition of Harrell continues to the youth movement of the defensive side. Thompson is building this team around a tough defense. I thought the pick here could have been Alan Branch or a playmaking WR. Harrell is an impresive athlete for his size, but has never been a really effective inside pass rusher. But he has potenital to develop into a good two down player in the NFL. It is a little bit of a reach in our view since he was ranked 30th on our board.

edit: not ripping you guys, he does say he was the BPA

i posted that a lil while ago

BallHawk
There's another surprise.

b bulldog
Did you hear the boos at the atrium

TennesseePackerBacker

Believe what you want, I certainly don't care what people on an internet forum think of me. I'm just giving you a review of what I've seen. I love the Vols like most of you love the Badgers, I've seen or went to just about every game in the past 10 years. I've also made the journey to GB and watched the Packers play('96 against the Chargers).

woodbuck27

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.forecaster.ca/jsonline/football/extras.cgi?2007-nfldraft-profiles51-100

99th ranked Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee . . .

picked at #16 by Ted Thompson for the Green Bay Packers

Comment woodbuck27:

So he would be projected to be picked long after the first round and more likely in the late second or third round.

Whats the word on DT Justin Harrell ??

A tantalizing mix of raw mass, athleticism, and leadership, Harrell can be dominant at times.

Harrell plays with a lot of heart and is a take-charge defender, leading the way in run-stopping and occasionally sneaking into the backfield for a sack.

He possesses a lot of presence on the field, both in terms of physicality and will-power.

His biggest problem has been staying healthy, and a couple of serious injuries kept him from really blossoming.

He's a sleeper due to a shortened senior campaign, but could really surprise if he stays on the field.

That's some dope on this pick.

Lurker64
The interesting question is how many of the guys we, the message boards, like that will go in the few picks following the Packers. If Olsen, and a bunch of the WRs are still there in the next few picks, the rest of the NFL apparently agrees with Thompson on his evaluation of the skill players we liked.

For example, Tenn just took a Safety not named Nelson, despite needing a WR.

BallHawk
Whoever said a third rounder is totally misguided

That was Merlin and I agree that saying that is ludacris.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Titans take Griffin....

Michael Griffin
S | (5'11", 202, 4.45) | TEXAS

Scouts Grade: 89

Strengths: Shows the ability to change directions quickly, explodes out of cuts and has good short-area man-to-man cover skills. Possesses good top-end speed, has long arms and can cover the deep middle of the field when he makes the right reads. Is tall, has god leaping ability and flashes the ability to catch the ball at its highest point. Possesses decent ball skills and is capable of making some big plays in coverage. He fills hard versus the run, possesses excellent closing speed for the position and can be an explosive open field tackler capable of knocking the ball loose. Plays with a good motor, is willing in run support and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Has blocked six kicks, can cover kicks and should make an immediate impact on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite size, doesn't have great lower body strength and is vulnerable to getting engulfed when he lines up in the box. He can be over-aggressive at times and will get caught peeking in the backfield. He over-pursues at times and will get caught out of position as a tackler on occasion. He will take some false steps and needs to be coached to improve his recognition skills. Though durability isn't a substantial concern, he has been slowed by injuries at times.

Overall: Griffin saw action in 12 games (two starts; nickel package) during his true freshman season in 2003 as the backup strong safety registering 65 total tackles, five tackles for loss, two sacks, two pass breakups, three forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. In 2004, he played in all 12 games (one start) finishing the year with 49 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, one interception, three pass breakups, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and two blocked kicks. Griffin started 12 of 13 games at strong safety in 2005 and recorded 124 total tackles, four tackles for loss, three interceptions, eight pass breakups, three fumble recoveries, one forced fumble, and four blocked kicks. In 2006 he started all 13 games at free safety, registering 126 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one sack, 10 pass breakups, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, two blocked kicks, and four interceptions. Griffin was named a second team All-American (media) and a first team All-Big 12 (media and coaches) performer.
Griffin doesn't have elite size and he needs to improve his consistency as a tackler. However, he has the frame to get bigger, he is extremely "coachable" and he always seems to be in on big plays. Griffin is a relentless run supporter, he displays very good range in deep coverage and he is one of the best special team's players in the 2007 draft class. If coached properly, Griffin has the physical tools to emerge as an upper-echelon starting safety in the NFL. That's why, despite a sub-par senior season, we believe Griffin warrants consideration late in the first round.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

esoxx

He's watched more of him than anybody else on here.

That's not really saying much. So what? He watches Tennessee games. He might even be pleased that said Tennessee player is now a Packer.

He actually didn't watch him much since he was sidelined with injuries so much. :lol:

Packgator
and Harrell was easily the best player on the board.

Could be. Hope so. D-Line anchor for years would be nice.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Was Jarvis moss a reach in your opinion because he was rated behind Harrell on NFL.com

It's nice to see some here iwth a level head. We don't know enough to be this critical. We really just DON'T know.

BallHawk
Looks like Quinn is going to be booking tickets to Missouri.

b bulldog
Griffin, I don't like this pick although with Pacman's issues, they need DB help.

Merlin
I don't buy into any "mock", hell Kipper sure was right today wasn't he? You do not draft players that did not play the previous season in the first or second round. Especially if they are injured. What someone did two seasons ago is far removed from what they can do today.

I am leaving now to keep my sanity. How people read into shit and how they come up with their logic sometimes just amazes me.

You all have a great weekend.

:)

BallHawk

It's nice to see some here iwth a level head. We don't know enough to be this critical. We really just DON'T know.

Exactly. People need to simmer down a bit......a lot.

TennesseePackerBacker
[quote="TennesseePackerBacker"][quote=Merlin][quote=TennesseePackerBacker]he is 3rd round at best and no way is he a 1st rounder let alone high second, maybe a late second but even that is a stretch.

Almost every mock (for what it's worth) had him mid to late first.

I didn't write that.

VermontPackFan
Kind of like when Udeze fell to the Vikes?

Enlighten us O'wise man...

A great College player who had an injury and fell, not all that complicated really. I detect a bit of smartass Vermont. I'm pointing out the obvious comparison, at least to me.

He might be great for all I know.[/quote]

Not really, I was just looking to be enlightened...I didnt know where you were coming from. I like the pick and the thought of building on our defense. YES, MAYBE we could have gotten him a couple slots later, but who knows what conversations took place, it takes two to tango.

MJZiggy
04-28-2007, 02:51 PM
I am so glad we choose Hawk last year, what a perfect player to build a D around.

So true.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't buy into any "mock", hell Kipper sure was right today wasn't he? You do not draft players that did not play the previous season in the first or second round. Especially if they are injured. What someone did two seasons ago is far removed from what they can do today.

I am leaving now to keep my sanity. How people read into shit and how they come up with their logic sometimes just amazes me.

Adios Merlin, have another brew! Life is good and the draft is fun!

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Adios Merlin, have another brew! Life is good and the draft is fun!

Looking at what he thinks I think it's gonna be more than just one. :wink:

Packgator
04-28-2007, 02:53 PM
You do not draft players that did not play the previous season in the first or second round. Especially if they are injured.

Vikings did........at number 7!

Tarlam!
Harrel. ? .

I trust TT. He found Nicky C, T-Murph and Jennings early. We'll be OK with this pick.

b bulldog
Brady Quinn, free fallin

Reggie 92
Kampman, Jenkins, Pickett, Cole, Jolly, Harrell, Montgomery, Corey Williams, and possibly KGB and Kendrick Allen...

Two thoughts:

Who is gettin' cut, that's ten roster spots

&

The Packers are gonna have a stout and talented defensive front and this will bring out the best in Hawk & Barnett..and may even help Poop.

TennesseePackerBacker
Well regardless of what happens down the road there should atleast be some crow-eating somewhere.

4and12to12and4
see ya merlin, by the way, great job with all the stat and insights for all the picks Rastak. What do you think about adrian by the way?

GrnBay007
04-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Tarlam! Good to see you here.

Packgator
Kampman, Jenkins, Pickett, Cole, Jolly, Harrell, Montgomery, Corey Williams, and possibly KGB and Kendrick Allen...

Or traded.

b bulldog
Allen hasn't signed yet has he and Williams may now be traed. The Bills did like him.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Two thoughts:

&

The Packers are gonna have a stout and talented defensive front and this will bring out the best in Hawk & Barnett..and may even help Poop.

Allen isn't on the team anymore, and they always carry at least 9 DL.

Rastak
Kind of like when Udeze fell to the Vikes?

Enlighten us O'wise man...

A great College player who had an injury and fell, not all that complicated really. I detect a bit of smartass Vermont. I'm pointing out the obvious comparison, at least to me.

He might be great for all I know.

Not really, I was just looking to be enlightened...I didnt know where you were coming from. I like the pick and the thought of building on our defense. YES, MAYBE we could have gotten him a couple slots later, but who knows what conversations took place, it takes two to tango.[/quote]

Ah, then I'm sorry for my comment. I have no idea, actually nobody on this planet knows if your guy will succeed in the NFL. I was only comparing a guy who also was considered a top ten guy but fell due to injury. I guess there are a lot of guys who fall into that category....

b bulldog
Williams and our 4th for Moss

Bretsky

You are very right; we don't know enough to truly be critical. But if we are football fans we have that right because the reality of it is sometimes are are right and TT is wrong, even though he knows more.

Last year this site was blasting TT for taking Corey Rodgers over the Oregon WR that went to Baltimore and did alright. Turns out the fans were right on that one.

I hope TT was right on this one.

RashanGary
I don't like seeing Thompson booed at the podium. I don't want him to let pressure from idiot fans dictate decisions. He seems pretty sure of himslef but I'd hate to see him make rash decisions based on bad pub.

GrnBay007
by the way, great job with all the stat and insights for all the picks Rastak.

Yep, thanks Rastak!

PackerTimer
Last year at this time there were a ton of people whining about Greg Jennings, Daryn College, and Jason Spitz. They all worked out fine. Maybe it's time that some of you stop complaining when the guy you wanted isn't taken. TT has shown that he knows what he's doing when it comes to the draft. The majority of the posters here don't have a clue what it takes to run a team.

Wait to see what TT will put together the rest of the day. If there are no trades wait until you see the rest of his picks. If there are trades, whether it be Moss or Turner, both are better than any WR or RB prospect left when we picked. Chill out.

Tarlam!

Every year, I ask this question.

gbgary
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
isn't it funny how the nfl and espn are treating the quinn thing...like someone died or something. private room, speaking quietly. lol

Rastak
04-28-2007, 02:56 PM
see ya merlin, by the way, great job with all the stat and insights for all the picks Rastak. What do you think about adrian by the way?

I like it....sure hope he doesn't break his freaking collarbone again!

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Allen isn't officially signed and Williams could be traDED. The Saints really liked Harrell as did the Colts and the Cheifs

Brainerd
04-28-2007, 02:58 PM
isn't it funny how the nfl and espn are treating the quinn thing...like someone died or something. private room, speaking quietly. lol

Yeah, and how the blonde left the building. Talk about kicking the guy. He and Rodgers will become best friends for sure.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Giants take Aaron Ross......

Aaron Ross
CB | (6'0", 193, 4.44) | TEXAS

Scouts Grade: 91

Strengths: Is tall and can compete for jump balls. Has a strong upper body and does a fine job of redirecting receivers in press-coverage. Possesses very good ball skills, flashes the ability to make the big play in coverage and is a dangerous open-field runner. Shows good instincts and rarely gets caught out of position. Plays with good intensity, fills hard when he reads run and is an explosive open field tackler that flashes the ability to knock the ball loose. Has experience returning punts, has shown big-play ability in this role and should contribute on special teams in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal hip-fluidity and has limitations in man-to-man coverage, as a result. Footwork is inconsistent. Though he plays with a mean streak and flashes the ability to deliver the big it, he dives at the ball carrier's legs at times and misses some open-field tackles. While durability isn't a substantial concern, has did suffer a broken arm in the fourth quarter of the 2006 Rose bowl and missed spring practices that year.

Overall: Ross saw action in all 13 games as a true freshman in 2003 as a backup cornerback and on special teams making 25 total tackles and two pass breakups. He played in all 12 games in 2004, splitting time with starter Tarell Brown, and recorded 36 total tackles, one interception, and three pass breakups. Ross played in all 13 games (two starts) in 2005 registering 62 total tackles, two tackles for loss, three interceptions, and 12 pass breakups. In 2006, he started all 13 games, finishing with 80 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, six interceptions, 19 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries, returning one for a touchdown, garnering him a first team All-American selection (media) and the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back. Over the past four seasons, Ross has also returned 76 punts for 893 yards (12.9 average) and three touchdowns.
Ross lacks ideal hip-fluidity and recovery speed in man-to-man coverage. He also still has room to improve on his footwork. However, he possesses a very good blend of size, speed, instincts and ball skills. Ross is gifted enough to develop into a playmaking starter at cornerback in the NFL (ideally in a heavy-zone scheme) and his big-play potential as a return man adds to his value. Ross' stock is on the rise following an outstanding senior season and he could come off the board in the first round, as a result.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-28-2007, 02:59 PM

You think AP being picked and Benson before that influenced TT's decision on Harrell? Not to mention facing LT, LJ, and a plethora of other good RB's next year.

Lurker64
Still no run on WRs, the odds of us getting someone pretty good are improving.

RashanGary
Oh yeah, congrats on Peterson Ras....

b bulldog
jUST THINK SOME THOUGHT HE WOULD NEVER GET OUT OF THE TOP 7

b bulldog
gIANTS, GOOD PICK

Charles Woodson
I hope TT was right on this one.

I think we all hope that

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:00 PM

You think AP being picked and Benson before that influenced TT's decision on Harrell? Not to mention facing LT, LJ, and a plethora of other good RB's next year.

Boy, I really have no idea. TT doesn't share his thought process so it's hard to know what he thinks.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah, congrats on Peterson Ras....

Thanks, it's a risk but it could work out quite well....I guess the same can be said for Harrell. Peterson when healthy kicks ass so I'm excited.

Guiness
04-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Quinn still there is something. Also, wrt our pick, Branch was certainly 'sloted' by the experts to go earlier.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Ras,

He shared his thought process. He said that Harrell was the best player they had on the board. He said he was very effective in college and checked out well with the medical staff.

People can't beleive that a guy really does take the BPA but Thompson really does. He took the guy that he thinks is better than anyone else in thsi whole drast.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Ras,

He shared his thought process. He said that Harrell was the best player they had on the board. He said he was very effective in college and checked out well with the medical staff.

People can't beleive that a guy really does take the BPA but Thompson really does. He took the guy that he thinks is better than anyone else in thsi whole drast.

I can't argue with that. Seems sound to me.

GrnBay007
04-28-2007, 03:04 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but how come ESPN is not mentioning the Bears taking Quinn if he is still there?

Charles Woodson
The Saints really liked Harrell as did the Colts and the Cheifs

This is one thing that keeps poping in my head, i know it wont happen but what if TT took harrell and then traded him. Can you do that if there not signed?

Rastak
Nelson finally goes to the Jags......

Reggie Nelson
S | (5'11", 198, 4.48) | FLORIDA

Scouts Grade: 90

Strengths: A centerfielder type with outstanding athletic ability and speed. He shows good leverage and quickness in his pedal. Gets a deep drop and does a fine job of keeping the play in front of him. He shows excellent range in zone coverage. Consistently displays the ability to reach the sideline as a cover-3 free safety down the middle. He's instinctive and diagnoses plays quickly in coverage; he does a very good job of reading quarterbacks' eyes while dropping. He displays good ball skills and will catch the ball at its highest point. He shows very good closing burst in coverage and in run support. He isn't afraid to throw his body around. Lowers his shoulder and shows good initial pop for his size. He will play the ball first, but he also will play the body when he can't get to the ball.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size and strength. Is not capable of matching up in the box. Much better in coverage than in run support. He's frequently late in diagnosing the run. He shows good initial pop for his size but he's not overly strong as a tackler. He leads with his shoulder on most occasions and looks for the knockout blow. As a result, he puts his head down and fails to wrap up on too many occasions. He has struggled academically; there are concerns regarding his mental capacity and ability to get his teammates lined up from the safety position. Marginal score on the Wonderlic Test.

Overall: Nelson originally attended Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in 2003 after failing to qualify academically and played football there during the 2004 season, when he registered a team-high 72 tackles, six interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), two fumble recoveries, and four blocked kicks. He transferred to Florida in January of 2005 and then appeared in 11 contests (four starts) before tearing a knee ligament during bowl practice which required surgery, finishing the year with 46 total tackles, four tackles for loss, one forced fumble, one pass defended, and one interception. In 2006, Nelson became a first team All-American after starting all 14 games and recording 51 total tackles, two tackles for loss, six interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), five pass breakups, one fumble recovery, and two blocked kicks. He also returned 12 punts for 93 yards in 2006.
Nelson lacks ideal size and he has limitations in run support. However, he possesses outstanding speed, athletic ability and ball skills in coverage. He has the best range of any safety prospect in the 2007 class and he can instantly upgrade the coverage skills of an NFL secondary as a centerfielder-type free safety. Nelson projects as one of the top-three safety prospects in this year's class and he should be taken late in the first round.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:05 PM

This is one thing that keeps poping in my head, i know it wont happen but what if TT took harrell and then traded him. Can you do that if there not signed?

They could.

Charles Woodson
Man Jacksonville took Nelson... Thats who i wanted but oh well

Lurker64
Nine straight defensive players taken. Someone good who catches or runs the ball is going to be available in the second and third.

MasonCrosby

yeah, remember eli manning and phillip rivers?

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Cowgals on the clock.......Olsen, Bowe or Meachem?

Scott Campbell
04-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Just got in. Did I miss much?

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:08 PM

I's guess Meachem.

HarveyWallbangers
Chiefs are going to take Quinn. I called it first.
:D

Nelson gets drafted, and NFLN's expert, Mike Mayock, rips him. He said he misses too many tackles and he doesn't rate him as high as others do. Kind of funny. He almost made me happy that we didn't take him. If he misses a lot of tackles, lacks intelligence, and has character issues, he doesn't sound as appealing.

BallHawk

Didn't miss a thing. :D

RashanGary

TT is getting his a hole reamed ;) by some and judgment is being held off by tohers. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Bretsky
Meachem or Quinn ?

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Chiefs are going to take Quinn. I called it first.

Nelson gets drafted, and NFLN's expert, Mike Mayock, rips him. He said he misses too many tackles and he doesn't rate him as high as others do. Kind of funny. He almost made me happy that we didn't take him. If he misses a lot of tackles, lacks intelligence, and has character issues, he doesn't sound as appealing.

Harrell is appealing because he is one of the smartest Defensive players in the draft.

Guiness
This may sound like a dumb question, but how come ESPN is not mentioning the Bears taking Quinn if he is still there?

I was just scanning down the board and thinking Quinn could be there for Chicago. WOW would that make for interesting family dinners.

BTW I really don't like that idea. Quinn certainly could be good. I hate the idea of him in Chicago.

Rastak
Browns are offering a bunch to move up and grab Quinn per NFLN

4and12to12and4
Man, the Bears really should trade up to get Quinn. (although, they probably won't need to trade up). What are the chances that Brady goes in the second round? Wouldn't that be something? I mean, i joked earlier about it, but it's possible that Miami ends up getting him. They would look like genius's even if they have to trade up e few spots at this point. I can't believe they think that Culpepper is the future, but who knows?

superfan

You'd really hope that the draft board was set going into the draft, and that choices like that wouldn't affect the decision.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Damn it! Cleveland is trying to trade up ahead of Kansas City to usurp my prediction. Cleveland knows what I know.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Damn it! Cleveland is trying to trade up ahead of Kansas City to usurp my prediction. Cleveland knows what I know.

Excellent move by the Browns ...assuming they don't give up the entire farm.....

superfan
04-28-2007, 03:11 PM

2008 1st and 3rd this year. If I'm Dallas, I'm all over that. Would probably be a top 10 pick next year - Cleveland stinks.

Charles Woodson
Damn i just took a look at Jso, and they are pissed about this

GoPackGo
it looks like Harrell did not complete one full season in college due to injurys..not good

Rastak

2008 1st and 3rd this year. If I'm Dallas, I'm all over that. Would probably be a top 10 pick next year - Cleveland stinks.

Completely agree superfan. I'd jump on that.

Scott Campbell
Justin Harrell. Why do we even bother trying to prepare for the draft.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Justin Harrell. Why do we even bother trying to prepare for the draft.

Yea, it's a wasted effort but it's fun.

superfan
04-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Harrell is appealing because he is one of the smartest Defensive players in the draft.

That appears to be one of TT's MOs. Last year a lot of the guys picked had high Wonderlic scores.

green_bowl_packer
Sorry if this Justin Harell bio info was posted already. I'm gonna let this guy play for us a couple of downs before I make a judgment on him. However he got here he's still a Packer. Today I've learned today not to put too much faith in the prognosticators on TV and the net, because if they were any good at all; they'd be working for NFL teams in the first place. And every piece of news released to the public the week before the draft is all smoke.

ustin Harrell
Height: 6-4
Weight: 305
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: Tennessee

OVERVIEW
Harrell, the team captain who wears his emotions on his sleeve, knew the veterans were needed to step up and take charge in 2006 after a disappointing 2005 season. He was primed for a banner senior year, but suffered a ruptured left biceps tendon in the second game.

The team doctors ruled Harrell lost for the season and scheduled surgery, but the gritty veteran postponed the procedure one more week. He had his arm heavily bandaged and stepped out on the field with the starting unit for a crucial match-up against Florida. The Vols fought valiantly and Harrell produced three tackles with a stop behind the line of scrimmage, but the Gators rallied for a 21-20 victory. Right after the game, the team lost its injured star for the rest of the year. He finally went under the knife, which brought his Tennessee career to a close.

Harrell was a standout defensive lineman at Westview High School. He was selected Tennessee's Class 2A "Mr. Football" in 2001, adding Prep Football Report and PrepStar All-American honors. He was named West Tennessee's Defensive Player of the Year by the Jackson Sun and earned Class 2A all-state accolades, as he helped the 2001 team to a 13-2 record and a state runner-up finish. After his final season, he played in the Georgia-Tennessee All-Star Game.

A three-year starter on both offense and defense, Harrell caught 18 passes for 354 yards and six touchdowns as a tight end and recorded 72 tackles as defensive lineman, including 19 for loss, four sacks and eight pass deflections as a senior. During his junior year, he caught 21 passes for 291 yards and three touchdowns. Defensively, he recorded 61 tackles, 12 for loss, and deflected four passes. He was also a three-year starter in basketball, as he scored 17 points per game his senior season.

Harrell enrolled at Tennessee in 2002, spending the season performing on the scout team. Hard luck with injuries limited him to eight games as a reserve defensive tackle in 2003. He missed more than half of spring drills after right leg surgery. In fall camp, he broke his ankle, sitting out the first five games. When he returned, he re-injured the ankle after only one snap against Miami and saw limited action the rest of the year. He finished with 10 tackles (5 solos), a stop for a loss and a quarterback pressure.

In 2004, Harrell started the team's first 11 games at right defensive tackle before an ankle injury against Kentucky would limit his play in the final two games. He registered 26 tackles (17 solos) with 11 pressures, 1½ sacks and 4½ stops for losses. He also batted down four passes and recovered a pair of fumbles.

Harrell started all 11 games in 2005, shifting to left tackle. He totaled 39 tackles (21 solos) with 2½ sacks and 7½ stops behind the line of scrimmage. He intercepted a pair of passes, returning one for a touchdown and was credited with eight pressures. He also caused one fumble and batted away three passes. For his performance, he earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors.

The defensive captain started the first three games of the 2006 season at left tackle before missing the rest of the season. He posted seven tackles (three solos) with a pressure and a stop for a loss. With Harrell in the lineup, the team rang up 2.33 sacks per game. With Harrell sidelined, the Vols had an average of one.

In 35 games, Harrell started 25 times. He registered 82 tackles (46 solos) with four sacks for minus-32 yards and 14 stops for losses of 57 yards. He collected 21 quarterback pressures, recovered two fumbles and caused four others. He knocked down eight passes and intercepted two for 36 yards in returns, including a touchdown.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has thick upper-body mass with a firm chest, shoulders and good arm-muscle definition. … Has big hips, thick thighs and calves and room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness. … Quick and explosive off the snap; even though he was used mostly to occupy multiple blockers at the line of scrimmage, he does a good job of anchoring and clogging up the inside rush lanes. … Has outstanding weight-room strength and is starting to learn how to translate that to the football field (must keep his hands inside and active to get full value out of his punch). … Does an effective job of combining aggressiveness with strength to create an explosive surge off the snap. … Maintains a low center of gravity to fill the inside lanes. … Will make plays downfield and shows good urgency closing on the ball. … Lacks ideal instincts, but shows no hesitation getting to the ball once he locates it. … Leader-by-example type who proved his moxie by refusing surgery to play with a ruptured biceps vs. Florida in 2006. … Responsible, mature type who really embraced the leadership role thrust upon him as a senior. … Will duck his head at times coming off the ball, but has the leg drive and burst to gain advantage. … If he learns to anticipate the snap quicker, he has that natural burst needed to dominate at the line of scrimmage. … When he hunkers his pads down and drive his foot into the ground, he is very effective at containing inside run plays. … Has good change-of-direction agility and it is rare to see him exposed on the move. … If he learns to use his hands better to gain leverage, he could be very effective in attempts to stack and control. … Has the strength to split double teams, but must be conscious of using his hands. … Compensates for a lack of ideal timed speed by taking proper angles to gain position to make the tackle working down the line. … Difficult to handle in one-on-one situations; he will constantly battle until the whistle. … Delivers a punishing hand jolt as he slides down the line of scrimmage and has the balance to sidestep and slip past the blocker when bull rushing. … Still plays more on his raw ability, but shows quickness reacting to the running plays, where his lateral agility is shown while giving chase. … Not much of a pass rusher; he is used more in run containment, but shows effective rip and club moves in attempts to get penetration. … More of a push type of pass rusher, but has the strength to gain inside penetration and is decent trying to adjust on the move. … Won't get to the quarterback when taking a wide loop, but up the middle he closes quickly on the quarterback, showing the leg drive and burst to collapse the pocket (better getting to the passer from his inside alignment than on the edge). … When he extends his long arms, he does a nice job of keeping blockers off him (needs to do this with more consistency, though).

Negatives: Not that "field smart" and needs to make quicker reads, but shows good urgency to pursue when he locates the ball. … Must learn to keep his head up coming out of his stance; this causes him to lose sight of the ball, especially when working through a crowd. … Has a good short-area burst, but when he overpursues, he lacks sharp stop-and-go action to redirect suddenly (will gather some). … Is susceptible to angle blocks and traps (mostly when he keeps his head down or fails to maintain inside position with his hands). … Lacks ideal hand placement to prevent blockers from getting underneath to lock on and ride him out of the play (blockers get their hands into his chest too often). … Has to improve his hand usage; blockers know they can attack his feet without him countering (must learn to keep his hands active in attempts to separate).

Compares To: Johnny Jolly, Green Bay. … Jolly might not have played much in 2006, but Harrell has that same explosion off the snap that lets both occupy multiple blockers. Harrell plays with the strength needed to take up space, and while he lacks sustained speed, he does explode off the ball. He needs to develop a better feel for the ball and must be more active with his hands. His main job is clogging and constricting the inside rush lanes, but he must create better separation with his hands if he hopes to improve his pass rushing skills. For a team looking for a plugger in the middle, Harrell could be the answer, if he is recovered from his torn biceps.

INJURY REPORT
2003: Underwent right leg surgery (undisclosed injury) in March, missing more than half of spring drills. … Suffered a broken bone in his right ankle in August camp (8/08) that forced him to sit out the first five games of the season. … Re-injured the ankle after only one play in the Miami game upon his return.

2004: Left the Kentucky game and did not start the final two games due to a right ankle sprain.

2006: Suffered a torn left biceps tendon vs. Air Force (9/09). Played the next game vs. Florida, then missed the rest of the season after undergoing surgery.

AGILITY TESTS
Campus: 5.08 in the 40-yard dash. … 500-pound bench press. … 500-pound squat. … 315-pound power clean. … 30-inch vertical jump. … 33¼-inch arm length. … 10-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Westview (Martin, Tenn.) High School, playing football for head coach Don Coady. … Standout defensive lineman who was selected Tennessee's Class 2A "Mr. Football" in 2001, adding Prep Football Report and PrepStar All-American honors. … Named West Tennessee's Defensive Player of the Year by the Jackson Sun and earned Class 2A All-State accolades, as he helped the 2001 team to a 13-2 record and a state runner-up finish. … After his final season, he played in the Georgia-Tennessee All-Star Game. … A three-year starter on both offense and defense, Harrell caught 18 passes for 354 yards and six touchdowns as a tight end and recorded 72 tackles as defensive lineman, including 19 for loss, four sacks and eight pass deflections as a senior. … During his junior year, he caught 21 passes for 291 yards and three touchdowns. … Defensively, he recorded 61 tackles, 12 for loss, and deflected four passes. … Three-year starter in basketball who scored 17 points per game his senior season.

PERSONAL
Sports Management major. … Born Justin Tyrell Harrell on 2/14/84. … Resides in Martin, Tenn.

woodbuck27

I's guess Meachem.

Yup.

4and12to12and4

Completely agree superfan. I'd jump on that.

i dont think its gonna happen because it makes too much sense for the browns, and so it cant happen :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:14 PM
it looks like Harrell did not complete one full season in college due to injurys..not good

He played 11 games his junior season and 13 games his sophomore season. That means he only missed 1 or 2 games in those two seasons combined.

GoPackGo
04-28-2007, 03:15 PM

He played 11 games his junior season and 13 games his sophomore season. That means he only missed 1 or 2 games in those two seasons combined.

whew!!!!!relief

4and12to12and4
04-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Take a look at Brady Quinn,

What happened to that cocky grin?

Rhyming Rat

Rastak

Which means he didn't complete a full season.... :D

yea, I get your point. His injuries sound a bit flukish it seems.

Brainerd
Take a look at Brady Quinn,

What happened to that cocky grin?

Rhyming Rat

It left with the blonde.

CyclonePackFan
Jesus Christ...Cleveland gets Thomas AND Quinn?

Lurker64
Browns traded up, Quinn is likely gone.

4and12to12and4
04-28-2007, 03:17 PM
holy shit, the Browns ARE gettin quinn, what a draft for them!!!!

MasonCrosby
hey the browns did something that made sense AND benefitted their team in the long run!

BallHawk
Finally!

Rastak
Browns get Quinn!

Cowboys get a windfall again.....where have I seen this before.... :)

HarveyWallbangers

Tennessee played 13 games his sophomore year. He played in all 13. How does that not constitute a full season?

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 03:18 PM
UNBELIEVABLE BY THE BROWNS

THEY COULD STOP DRAFTING NOW AND IT'D LOOK GOOD

Rastak
Brady Quinn
QB | (6'3", 232, 4.72) | NOTRE DAME

Scouts Grade: 97

Strengths: Possesses good overall size, including ideal height and adequate bulk. He is tall enough to see the entire field. Shows good footwork and is capable of buying time. Possesses good arm strength, gets good velocity on deep outs and flashes the ability to throw into tight spaces. He has a smooth delivery. Touch and timing on deep ball are outstanding. He shows the ability to adjust his release point to find a passing window, while still throwing accurately underneath. He is a competitive player that appears to want the ball when the game is on the line. Shows a very good feel for a pro-style offensive scheme. He is a deceptively good athlete. Not a huge threat as a runner but he will take what the defense gives him when forced to scramble and he shows adequate-to-good initial quickness. He also is a tough, competitive and instinctive runner. Shows good attention to detail, especially in terms of selling ball fakes to set up play-action passing game. A hard worker. He continues to develop as a leader and his dedication to the game is outstanding. He is intelligent and picks up new schemes quickly. He has been extremely durable and he comes with great experience as a four-year starter at the highest collegiate level.

Weaknesses: He gets too fidgety in the pocket at times. He gets happy feet too frequently. He pats the ball before cocking it to release (ala Drew Bledsoe), which occasionally gives defenders an early jump on the ball. He has had too many highs and lows throughout his career. It seems like he presses at times, doesn't always make sound decisions under pressure and has a tendency to force some throws. Loses the strike zone at times and still has somewhat of an erratic arm. He needs to do a better job of leading receivers on short-to-intermediate routes. He shows quick feet inside the pocket but he lacks ideal top-end speed, doesn't have the elusiveness to make multiple defenders miss and isn't a dangerous open field runner.

Overall: Quinn appeared in all 12 games, starting the final nine, during his true freshman season in 2003 and completed 47.3-percent of his throws for 1,831 yards, nine touchdowns, and 15 interceptions. In 2004, he started all 12 contests and threw for 2,586 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while completing 54.1-percent of his passes. The light finally came on under first year head coach Charlie Weis in 2005 when Quinn started all 12 games and completed nearly 65-percent of his attempts for 3,633 yards, 32 touchdowns, and seven interceptions, earning third team All-American honors (media). In 2006, he once again started every game (13) and completed 61.9-percent of his passes for 3,426 yards and 32 more touchdowns (37) than interceptions (seven) while garnering a second team All-American selection (media).
Quinn brings to the table tremendous experience as a four-year starter; the final two of which he has thrived under head coach Charlie Weis in a pro-style offensive scheme. He possesses a fine blend of arm strength, size and intelligence. Quinn also possesses adequate quickness in the pocket and overall athleticism for his size. While there's no arguing Quinn's mental and physical makeup, we do have reservations regarding his peaks and valleys as a college player. Too much of his production came against sub-par competition and too many of his struggles came in the "big games" versus the top-tier defenses he faced. Overall, Quinn remains a top-10 prospect in the 2007 class but we would take Russell ahead of him.

Scott Campbell
I'll bet KC is pissed.

HarveyWallbangers

They gave up too much. With a rookie QB, that will likely be a top 10 pick and a 3rd round pick. That's a little much in my book. If that turns into a top 3 pick next year, it will look especially bad.

Charles Woodson
What did the cowboys get?

4and12to12and4
Brady goes to the Cleveland Browns,

the cocky grin turns into a frown.

Rhyming Rat

CyclonePackFan
04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
That's incredible. Cleveland just got a franchise QB AND a franchise LT in a single year. What a draft.

MJZiggy
I think Goodell looked happier about this than Quinn did.

Rastak

Tennessee played 13 games his sophomore year. He played in all 13. How does that not constitute a full season?

You do wayyyyy too much research Harv.....LOL....point conceded, plus I don't care a bit! LOL......

Lurker64
hey the browns did something that made sense AND benefitted their team in the long run!

What are the terms of the trade? If they gave up their #1 next year, they might have just lost the chance to take McFadden #1 overall. That's a hell of a loss.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:20 PM
They had the #3 pick to get one, and gave up possibly a really high future pick and 3rd round pick for the other. Hardly as good as it looks.

4and12to12and4

They gave up too much. With a rookie QB, that will likely be a top 10 pick and a 3rd round pick. That's a little much in my book. If that turns into a top 3 pick next year, it will look especially bad.

unless, Quinn and thomas help turn the franchise around, and their 1st pick ends up around 19 or 20 or something.

Bretsky
help

WHO DOES KC TAKE ????????????

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:21 PM
#2 pick this year and #1 pick next year.

Yeah, that's too much.

HarveyWallbangers
unless, Quinn and thomas help turn the franchise around, and their 1st pick ends up around 19 or 20 or something.

Not many teams win many games with a rookie QB, Vince Young notwithstanding. Peyton Manning won 3 games his rookie year.

Rastak
They had the #3 pick to get one, and gave up possibly a really high future pick and 3rd round pick for the other. Hardly as good as it looks.

Yea, Quinn better turn out cause they torched their 2008 draft.....

4and12to12and4
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
smart for the boys unless the browns end up being good next year and have a very low 1st round pick, but even so, it's probably good for the boys, they get two 1st picks next year regardless.

HarveyWallbangers
help

Shields retired. Ben Grubbs? Robert Meachem? Dwayne Bowe?

BallHawk
help

Meachem or Bowe is my guess. They need someone to line up across from Kenninson.

CyclonePackFan
It took a #2 this year and a #1 next year. That IS a hell of a price. Still, they did just sign Jamal Lewis...

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Who all between us and picking next actually is likely to take a WR?

Scott Campbell

Not many teams win many games with a rookie QB, Vince Young notwithstanding. Peyton Manning won 3 games his rookie year.

I bet he doesn't start, at least at first. Let him sit behind Fry.

4and12to12and4
its tripped out that he's going back home, but 20 picks later than he thought. unreal

MasonCrosby

Fry himself is very young too...

woodbuck27
04-28-2007, 03:24 PM

That appears to be one of TT's MOs. Last year a lot of the guys picked had high Wonderlic scores.

Justin Harrell

Negatives:

Not that "field smart" and needs to make quicker reads, but shows good urgency to pursue when he locates the ball. … Must learn to keep his head up coming out of his stance; this causes him to lose sight of the ball, especially when working through a crowd. …

Has a good short-area burst, but when he overpursues, he lacks sharp stop-and-go action to redirect suddenly (will gather some). …

Is susceptible to angle blocks and traps (mostly when he keeps his head down or fails to maintain inside position with his hands). …

Lacks ideal hand placement to prevent blockers from getting underneath to lock on and ride him out of the play (blockers get their hands into his chest too often). …

Has to improve his hand usage; blockers know they can attack his feet without him countering (must learn to keep his hands active in attempts to separate).

Compares To: Johnny Jolly, Green Bay. … Jolly might not have played much in 2006, but Harrell has that same explosion off the snap that lets both occupy multiple blockers.

Harrell plays with the strength needed to take up space, and while he lacks sustained speed, he does explode off the ball. He needs to develop a better feel for the ball and must be more active with his hands. His main job is clogging and constricting the inside rush lanes, but he must create better separation with his hands if he hopes to improve his pass rushing skills.

For a team looking for a plugger in the middle, Harrell could be the answer, if he is recovered from his torn biceps.

Comment woodbuck27:

Alot of obvious risk in this pick with a very poor health history and alot to overcome with poor technique at DT.

He sounds gung ho. . . but intelligent?

One thing for sure now. He's a PACKER.

Good luck Justin Harrell. :)

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 03:24 PM
what if the chiefs don't take a WR. Their wiil probably be a good one for us in the second.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Who all between us and picking next actually is likely to take a WR?

Kansas City, possibly New England with one of their two picks, Carolina, possibly Baltimore, San Diego, Chicago, Indianapolis, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Minnesota, San Francisco, Buffalo, Carolina. Pretty much more teams than not. Still a good chance that a lot of good WRs are gone.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Which means they will likely still finish in the bottom 10, at least.

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I bet carolina takes Olsen.

b bulldog
04-28-2007, 03:27 PM
tHEY'VE BEEN LINKED TO HIM MOST OF THE OFFSEASON.

HarveyWallbangers
Justin Harrell

You've posted the same bio several times. One that has him ranked WAY lower than any other rankings. How about posting some of the others.

Willard
Hello fellow Rats,

Long time no post. Enough about Brady--my take on the Pack pick: I LIKE IT! In the NFC North, stuff the run, and make the mediocre quarterbacks try to beat you. The Pack's D showed improvement toward the end of last year, but needed to upgrade run D in my opinion. My only issue is it would have been nice to trade down a few picks and then take Weird Harrell. I am sure TT tried, but ran out of time before finding a taker.

Now if we can just figure out how to score in the red zone!

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 03:28 PM
PICK MEACHEM

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Scouts inc on 12-19

12. Buffalo Bills
The pick: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California
Scouts take: Buffalo placed need over value with this pick. Lynch has shown flashes of developing into a difference maker. He's big enough to carry a heavy workload and his speed should make him a homerun threat in the NFL. In other words, he can pound the ball inside turn the corner as an outside runner. There's also reason to believe he'll emerge as a dangerous receiver out of the backfield so he compares favorably to Peterson in a lot of ways. However, Lynch isn't on the same level as Peterson. He isn't as shifty as Peterson in the open field and, more importantly, there are concerns about his character stemming from an off-the-field incident with a woman.

In addition, Lynch, much-like Peterson, has had some problems staying healthy so this is a bit of a reach and Buffalo may have been better served taking a corner. However, running back is clearly a need and this could prove to be a great pick if Lynch pans out.

13. St. Louis Rams
The pick: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Scouts take: It's the best of the best worlds for St. Louis fans, as the Rams filled a pressing need by drafting an excellent player and no one should be happier than Leonard Little. Though Carriker isn't fast enough to consistently turn the corner, he has the quickness to prevent blockers from getting into good position and he already shows a good variety of pass rush moves. His ability to get after the quarterback should make it more difficult for teams to adjust their pass protections to account for Little. Carriker could have an even bigger impact on the run defense.

Few young players use their hands and shed blocks as well as Carriker. He's also big enough to hold his own at the point of his attack and the non-stop motor to make plays in pursuit. However, no prospect is perfect and there is a reason he was the third defensive end taken in the draft so Carriker has to continue to work on his pass rush moves and work on his ability to protect his legs when blockers try to cut him.

14.New York Jets
Pick acquired from Carolina
The pick: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
Scouts take: With both of the top two corners available and the Jets' top need a corner, they decided to pull the trigger on the day's first trade and pick up Revis. Although Revis can take too long to change directions at times and has some problems matching up with explosive slot receivers, he is still a first-round talent. More importantly, his instincts should him an excellent fit for head coach Eric Mangini's defensive schemes and he is a playmaker than can make a difference.

He could also make an impact as a punt return man, which is probably one of the bigger reasons the Jets chose Revis over Leon Hall. Another reason may be Revis' fluidity. He does a slightly better job of opening his hips when he's forced to turn and run downfield so he's less likely to get beat deep when left on an island.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers
The pick: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State
Scouts take: Joey Porter's reign over Pittsburgh ended during the offseason and there is no heir apparent on the roster, so the Steelers are desperate need of getting an edge rusher that can make an immediate impact. Timmons should be just the man for the job since he has the burst to turn the corner, athletic ability to develop an arsenal of pass rushes and the closing speed to quickly get to the quarterback. He won't make as much of an impact dropping into coverage and defending the run but he should hold his own when asked to drop into coverage and he should chase plenty of backs down from behind. And if indeed the Steelers transition to a 4-3 defense at some point, Timmons is versatile enough to move to weak-side linebacker.

16. Green Bay Packers
The pick: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
Scouts take: Make no mistake about it Justin Harrell is a talented player and staying away from a player who has problems keeping his weight down like Alan Branch makes sense considering the problems the Packers had with Grady Jackson. However, tight end is a far greater need and Greg Olsen was still on the board so they probably could have gotten a little more bang for the buck here, especially considering QB Bret Favre does a great job of finding his tight ends.

Harrell is coming off a serious arm injury so there's reason to worry about his ability to stay healthy and he isn't a great pass rusher but he should immediately improve the Packers' run defense. He has excellent lower body strength and is virtually impossible to move once he establishes position. His ability to collapse the pocket will also make it easier for the edge rushers to get to the quarterback.

17. Denver Broncos
Pick acquired from Jacksonville
The pick: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
Scouts take: Denver executes the second trade of the day and takes a chance on Moss in the hopes of getting an elite pass rusher. While saying the Broncos are making a deal with the devil here would be harsh, but there are some minor character concerns about Moss after Florida suspended him for a game last year. With the league cracking down on players that commit off-the-field infractions, it's important Moss stay out of the trouble. If he can, he is capable of giving the pass rush a substantial boost. Moss anticipates snap counts well, explodes off the ball and he closes extremely well. The Broncos will likely use him as a situational pass rusher but there is a chance he develops into an every-down player if he can add some weight without sacrificing any quickness.

18. Cincinnati Bengals
The pick: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
Scouts take: Hall is an excellent addition and he should push for immediate playing time opposite Jonathan Joseph. He is a physical cover corner who is tough enough to match up with bigger receivers, athletic enough to stay with slot receivers and can make big plays in coverage. Character isn't a concern either. Hall hasn't had any problems off-the-field and he works hard at improving his game. However, Ohio State fans will be quick to point out that he lacks ideal turn-and-run skills despite his excellent 40-time. The Bengals will have to give him safety help over the top when he lines up opposite a premiere deep threat. But the bottom line here Cincinnati has done a good job of using the draft to build a potentially excellent secondary.

19. Tennessee Titans
The pick: Michael Griffin, S, Texas
Scouts take: This is isn't as bad as Miami taking Ginn Jr. but drafting Griffin was still bad for the Titans. Most teams are looking to add one or two starters through the draft unless it's quarterback and then there's Tennessee. The Titans need to a corner that can step into the starting slot opposite free agent singing Nick Harper, a receiver that can make an immediate impact and a running back that can share the load with LenDale White. Taking a safety here rather than a receiver like Robert Meachem or Dwayne Bowe makes it a lot more difficult to fill those holes. That's not to say Griffin isn't going to be a player in this league. Though he gets caught out of position at times and he needs to get a little bigger he will smack the ball carrier in the mouth and he has above-average cover skills so he should push for immediate playing time.

Carolina_Packer
04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
How do we know that TT didn't have his eye on Harrell? It's so easy to second guess picks and think of more sexy picks, but you should reserve judgement until the guy plays. I don't think anyone's throwing darts at a draft board, so TT and staff must have had a plan, which likely was affected by at least one or two picks made 1-15. I wondered if Okoye dropped to 16 if GB would have taken him over Harrell.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:32 PM
No surprise there.

green_bowl_packer
04-28-2007, 03:33 PM
On the other hand, Jeff West of Consensus Draft Services could't be more thrilled with the pick. "I'll tell you right now, I love the pick by the Packers. Justin Harrell is an outstanding DT and I feel he's as close to a can't miss player as there is (next to Calvin Johnson, of course)."

Charles Woodson
Hmm, Dwayne Bowe to KC

Rastak
Bowe to Chiefs......

Dwayne Bowe
WR | (6'2", 221, 4.51) | LSU

Scouts Grade: 94

Strengths: Possesses very good size and adequate speed for a bigger receiver. He is a fluid and smooth athlete. Shows a high ceiling for development and continues to improve with more experience. He is learning to use his wide wingspan to his advantage as a route runner. He has long arms and big hands. A potential weapon on jump-balls, fade routes, red zone, etc. His hands are extremely strong and he shows the ability to take the ball away from defenders in the air. He does a good job of catching the ball over his head. He possesses excellent body control and balance for a bigger receiver. He lacks ideal initial burst or acceleration after the catch, but he's a shifty and physical runner that will make the first defender miss and carry the second defender a few yards before going down. Gives a good effort as a blocker and should continue to improve in this area with better technique. Certainly big and strong enough to become an effective stalk blocker in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Continues to improve with experience but a bit of a late-bloomer who did not play football in high school until his junior year. Lacks ideal recognition skills. Does a below average job of finding soft spots in zone coverage. Rounds off too many of his routes and must learn to get in and out of his breaks without gearing down as much. He has a tendency to loose focus on occasion and will drop some "catchable" passes. Possesses adequate speed for his size but lacks elite speed to consistently get over the top of NFL defensive backs one-on-one. He has had some minor durability issues throughout his collegiate career.

Overall: Bowe played in all 13 games for LSU as a true freshman in 2003 as the team's fourth wide receiving and made nine catches for 106 yards. In 2004, Bowe played in all 12 games and had 10 starts. He finished the year with 39 receptions for 597 yards (15.3 average) and five touchdowns. Bowe missed the 2005 opener against ASU with an ankle injury and then played in the remaining 12 games, making nine starts. He led the Tigers in receptions (41), receiving yards (710), and touchdown catches (nine), while averaging 17.3 yards per receptions. In 2006, he earned first team All-SEC honors after playing in all 13 games (started 11 games) while catching 65 passes for 990 yards (15.2 average) and 12 touchdowns.
Bowe is one of the most naturally gifted wide receiver prospects in this class. He still has room to improve in terms of his route running and recognition skills, but Bowe is a late-bloomer who continues to make noticeable strides with more playing experience. He projects as a good No. 2 receiver in the NFL and he should come off the 2007 draft board in the bottom-half of the first round.

4and12to12and4
well guys this has been fun. My daughter is buggin me to chat on the computer. DAMN HER!! LOL Anyways, Go Pack!! See y'all later. I'm gonna watch my cubbies kick the shit out of the hated cards.

Guiness
04-28-2007, 03:34 PM
So, Cleveland takes Quinn?

Yes :D :D :D

Good call Ras. Back on p 12!

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:35 PM
REACTIONS:

Pat Kirwan said he expected Justin Harrell to be selected around the point in the draft he was taken. Kirwan says Harrell "unique ability to disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield."

Vic Carucci says "concerns over [Alan] Branch's tendency to play too upright and over his health made him too much of a risk for the Packers. Harrell is healthy and a safer choice. He should be a force against the run and a solid anchor for Green Bay's defensive line for a long time."

Meanwhile, collegefootballnews.com's Pete Fiutak is the latest to bring up the ol' buzzword "value." Says Fiutak: "One of the best values in the draft, he’s a top ten-caliber pick who dripped because of question marks about his health suffering a torn biceps early on last year. When he’s right, he’s a quick, strong defender who can play almost anywhere on the line and can be an anchor who takes on two blockers at a time. That’s if he stays healthy."

The Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer isn't sold on the pick. Iyer thought the Packers should have gone offense, writing, "Wow, so much for offensive help in the form of Olsen, Bowe or even another Tennessee prospect, wide receiver Robert Meachem. Instead, the Packers go with an athletic but inconsistent defensive tackle. I don't get it. I really think this team had the potential to win now if they brought someone in to help Favre. With a decent tackle group in Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, Harrell is a real head-scratcher."

On the other hand, Jeff West of Consensus Draft Services could't be more thrilled with the pick. "I'll tell you right now, I love the pick by the Packers. Justin Harrell is an outstanding DT and I feel he's as close to a can't miss player as there is (next to Calvin Johnson, of course)."

SportsLine.com's Pete Prisco gives the Packers a B for their selection of Justin Harrell, saying "He is a speed rusher who will help a pass defense that needs it. Some scouts worried that he disapeared in the LSU game, but he's a need pick. They obviously wanted him, but I think Anthony Spencer was the better pick."

Pro Football Weekly uses buzzwords like "best value" and "durability": "Ted Thompson is a value-oriented, decision-maker and almost always takes the best player on the board. He clearly followed his approach here. However, when Cullen Jenkins kicked outside to end, a void was created inside, and Harrell does also fill a position of need. Harrell is quick off the ball and shows the ability to dominate. However, durability remains an issue, and he has not shown he could stay healthy throughout his career. Harrell follows in the path of former teammate Jason Allen, who the Dolphins drafted 16th overall after he missed most of the season with injury."

Over at Foxsports.com, John Czarnecki says "Once again, the Packers were great at leaking misinformation. They kept saying they needed playmakers to help Brett Favre in his final season. Every team tells some lies at draft time, but when I asked specifically about Justin Harrell two days ago, the Pack told me he wasn't their guy. ... Harrell may have been a top-ten player if he didn't have a biceps surgery after the Florida game last season. With the need at running back and receiver, you have to believe that the Packers are still thinking about Chargers running back Michael Turner and Oakland's Randy Moss. ... Harrell is a quality player and valiant player. He played with a torn biceps in that Florida game."

Peter Schrager says, while Packer fans aren't enamored with this pick, "I fell hard for Harrell hard last year, when he played in the Florida game despite having torn biceps. Ever TEAR a biceps? What's that feel like? I stubbed my toe last week and almost shut it down. Tough kid. Packers fans will love him. Not sure whether his intangibles are on or off the charts — but he's a solid clog in the middle."

In his blog for ESPN.com, Matt Mosley says "Did the Packers reach? The Packers fan to my right is not inspired by the choice of Tennessee DT Justin Harrell at No. 16. Some of us thought Green Bay might go with another UT player, WR Robert Meachem. My former officemate and draft genius Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News had Harrell going No. 27 to the Saints. McShay and Kiper both had him going at No. 23. So far, I think fans of the Browns, Dolphins and Packers have the biggest gripe."

Rastak
So, Cleveland takes Quinn?

Yes :D :D :D

Good call Ras. Back on p 12!

Delayed reaction!

Guiness

You mean the way Couch did? He was under center what, game 3?

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:38 PM
REACTIONS:

Pat Kirwan said he expected Justin Harrell to be selected around the point in the draft he was taken. Kirwan says Harrell "unique ability to disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield."

Vic Carucci says "concerns over [Alan] Branch's tendency to play too upright and over his health made him too much of a risk for the Packers. Harrell is healthy and a safer choice. He should be a force against the run and a solid anchor for Green Bay's defensive line for a long time."

Meanwhile, collegefootballnews.com's Pete Fiutak is the latest to bring up the ol' buzzword "value." Says Fiutak: "One of the best values in the draft, he’s a top ten-caliber pick who dripped because of question marks about his health suffering a torn biceps early on last year. When he’s right, he’s a quick, strong defender who can play almost anywhere on the line and can be an anchor who takes on two blockers at a time. That’s if he stays healthy."

The Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer isn't sold on the pick. Iyer thought the Packers should have gone offense, writing, "Wow, so much for offensive help in the form of Olsen, Bowe or even another Tennessee prospect, wide receiver Robert Meachem. Instead, the Packers go with an athletic but inconsistent defensive tackle. I don't get it. I really think this team had the potential to win now if they brought someone in to help Favre. With a decent tackle group in Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, Harrell is a real head-scratcher."

SportsLine.com's Pete Prisco gives the Packers a B for their selection of Justin Harrell, saying "He is a speed rusher who will help a pass defense that needs it. Some scouts worried that he disapeared in the LSU game, but he's a need pick. They obviously wanted him, but I think Anthony Spencer was the better pick."

Pro Football Weekly uses buzzwords like "best value" and "durability": "Ted Thompson is a value-oriented, decision-maker and almost always takes the best player on the board. He clearly followed his approach here. However, when Cullen Jenkins kicked outside to end, a void was created inside, and Harrell does also fill a position of need. Harrell is quick off the ball and shows the ability to dominate. However, durability remains an issue, and he has not shown he could stay healthy throughout his career. Harrell follows in the path of former teammate Jason Allen, who the Dolphins drafted 16th overall after he missed most of the season with injury."

Over at Foxsports.com, John Czarnecki says "Once again, the Packers were great at leaking misinformation. They kept saying they needed playmakers to help Brett Favre in his final season. Every team tells some lies at draft time, but when I asked specifically about Justin Harrell two days ago, the Pack told me he wasn't their guy. ... Harrell may have been a top-ten player if he didn't have a biceps surgery after the Florida game last season. With the need at running back and receiver, you have to believe that the Packers are still thinking about Chargers running back Michael Turner and Oakland's Randy Moss. ... Harrell is a quality player and valiant player. He played with a torn biceps in that Florida game."

Peter Schrager says, while Packer fans aren't enamored with this pick, "I fell hard for Harrell hard last year, when he played in the Florida game despite having torn biceps. Ever TEAR a biceps? What's that feel like? I stubbed my toe last week and almost shut it down. Tough kid. Packers fans will love him. Not sure whether his intangibles are on or off the charts — but he's a solid clog in the middle."

In his blog for ESPN.com, Matt Mosley says "Did the Packers reach? The Packers fan to my right is not inspired by the choice of Tennessee DT Justin Harrell at No. 16. Some of us thought Green Bay might go with another UT player, WR Robert Meachem. My former officemate and draft genius Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News had Harrell going No. 27 to the Saints. McShay and Kiper both had him going at No. 23. So far, I think fans of the Browns, Dolphins and Packers have the biggest gripe."

You are a detailed fellow! Nice recap. Sounds like the guy should be good. Not sure DT was the need but BPA is a wise way to go IMHO.

HarveyWallbangers
You are a detailed fellow! Nice recap. Sounds like the guy should be good. Not sure DT was the need but BPA is a wise way to go IMHO.

I stole it from JSO.

BallHawk
Thanks for posting Harv.

In TT we trust! :D

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I stole it from JSO.

Shit, honest too!

:wink:

MJZiggy
04-28-2007, 03:40 PM

I stole it from JSO.

Shit, honest too!

:wink:

But did he smoke pot in college?

HarveyWallbangers
Kind of hard to respect Iyer's position--since he still lists Cullen Jenkins as a DT.

"With a decent tackle group in Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, Harrell is a real head-scratcher."

Rastak
Patriots on the clock.....

Meachem? Houston?

Brando19
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Kind of hard to respect Iyer's position--since he still lists Cullen Jenkins as a DT.

"With a decent tackle group in Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, Harrell is a real head-scratcher."

Unless Williams is traded.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Ummm...

Brainerd
04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Meachem? Houston?

Meachem.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Ummm...

No comment....right? :D

CyclonePackFan
04-28-2007, 03:43 PM
REACTIONS:
However, when Cullen Jenkins kicked outside to end, a void was created inside, and Harrell does also fill a position of need

I was just pondering...

We now have Pickett and Harrell on the inside. Kampman is a lock to start. Jenkins had a lot of success on the outside last year. Hypothetically, IF we're trading for Randy Moss...who's the odd man out in that rotation? Are we going to send Oakland a 4th and KGB?

Just thinking out loud...

PaCkFan_n_MD

Meachem? Houston?

Both? :)

BallHawk
Well guys, we're already halfway to breaking last years draft thread record. Keep it up!

Brando19
04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
NE may take Olsen.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
NFLN is speculating that Houston or Merriweather will go here and Philly grabs what is left....

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 03:45 PM
God I would love Rice in round 2.

Bretsky
Can we trade Robert Ferguson to the Texans for a 2020 7th round draft pick ?

Brohm
With the quality rotation we have at DT, it offers a bit of protection to Harrell's injury history. Should be interesting with Jolly getting more reps to say the least.

On top of that, there was a lot of rumors at the end of TC regarding trading one of our DT's (glad we didn't). We have even MORE quality now, I'm sure those will be fired up again if there are no draft day trades.

Brando19
04-28-2007, 03:46 PM

:lol:

MJZiggy

Ummm...

No comment....right? :D

Nah, just an indication that he never stopped... :P

Bretsky
The Browns guy just was interviewed in ESPN and stated that from pick 12 on they were communicating with teams trying to move up.

Wonder what he offered the Snapper ?

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
So much for good character guys on the Patriots.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Pats take Meriweather!

Brandon Meriweather
S | (5'10", 195, 4.47) | MIAMI (FLA.)

Scouts Grade: 88

Strengths: Is a versatile safety prospect with good range versus the run and pass. He lacks ideal size but fills hard versus the run. Shows better power at the point of attack as a tackler than his size would indicate. He plays with a great motor and a mean streak. He makes his presence known over the middle of the field and will throw his body around. Very reliable tackler in the open field. He shows good instincts and initial quickness. Diagnoses plays quickly and consistently takes solid angles. He has better than average range in deep zone coverage. His ball skills are adequate. Shows very good football intelligence and is a leader in the secondary. Great experience at the highest level of collegiate competition.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and must add weight to his frame. Fills hard versus the run and could match up in-the-box at times on the collegiate level, but he is not big enough to do the same in the NFL. His shoulder surgery in 2006 is concerning, especially for an undersized safety. Character is also a concern following the stomping incident versus FIU as a senior.

Overall: Meriweather played in three games as a true freshman in 2002, before suffering a season-ending injury, which resulted in him receiving a medical redshirt. He returned in 2003, appeared in all 13 games, and recorded 22 total tackles, one interception, and five pass breakups. In 2004, Meriweather played in all 12 games (seven starts after a shoulder injury kept him out of the starting lineup for five contests) and registered 62 total tackles, two tackles for loss, two interceptions, five pass breakups, and two forced fumbles. Meriweather played in all 12 games in 2005 and finished season with 115 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, one sack, three interceptions, seven pass breakups, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery. He underwent off-season shoulder surgery and missed spring practice in 2006. Meriweather returned in 2006 and started 11 of 12 games (suspended for the Duke game for his role in the brawl with Florida International) recording 57 total tackles, five tackles for loss, one sack, eight pass breakups, and one interception. He saw action at free safety, strong safety, and cornerback and was named second team All-ACC.
Meriweather is an experienced, instinctive and athletic defensive back. While some see him at cornerback in the NFL -- where he spent significant time as a senior -- we believe Meriweather is best suited to play free safety. He lacks ideal size but has room on his frame to add bulk. He grades out as a first-round prospect on film study alone, but concerns regarding his character and durability could cause him to slip a full round in the 2007 draft.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Greg Olson is almost a sure thing to go to Carolina here.

Brainerd
04-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Meriweather pick adds fuel to Moss going to Pats instead of Packers if he's going anywhere.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Greg Olson is almost a sure thing here.

Man Carolina did it good, they moved down 10 spots and still got the guy they wanted

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Does anyine think Rice will last to round two? Thats who am hoping for right now.

RashanGary

LMFAO.....

HarveyWallbangers
Meriweather pick adds fuel to Moss going to Pats instead of Packers if he's going anywhere.

Well, 1) NE has another pick shortly, and 2) they signed Stallworth and traded for Welker, so WR may not be their biggest need. LB or CB perhaps?

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Does anyine think Rice will last to round two? Thats who am hoping for right now.

It's possible. I'd take him, but if Pittman or Irons is there than I'd rather have them.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I think that's possible.....I'm watching the WR's closely.....Vikes need a WR like nobody's business.

Lurker64
04-28-2007, 03:54 PM
It's possible. I'd take him, but if Pittman or Irons is there than I'd rather have them.

I'm pretty high on Irons, but I'm higher on Best Player Available.

Seeing what happened in the 1st, I'm increasingly confident that Thompson did, in fact, take the best player on the board at 16. Or at least, a better player than any of the other popular favorites here.

Charles Woodson

Well, 1) NE has another pick shortly, and 2) they signed Stallworth and traded for Welker, so WR may not be their biggest need. LB or CB perhaps?

Thats what ive been thinking the whole time, i mean they spent a 2nd on Wes Welker, and got Stallworth

and wow carolina passed on beason, fooled me

Rastak
Panthers take Beason...good pick

Jon Beason
OLB | (6'0", 237, 4.72) | MIAMI (FLA.)

Strengths: Possesses good strength for his size. Also displays good straight-line speed and short-area quickness. He is an instinctive and aggressive player versus the run. Diagnoses plays quickly, takes good angles in pursuit and shows very good closing burst. Plays with an outstanding motor and sacrifices his body to make plays. He has impressive short-area power for his size and is able to jack running backs off their feet with his initial contact. Very reliable as an open-field tackler. He uses his hands well and does a good job of sifting through traffic. Shows good instincts and closing burst when turned loose as a pass rusher. He displays adequate awareness and range in zone coverage. Also does a great job of covering kicks on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite height and doesn't have much room left on his frame to get bigger. He displays some stiffness in his hips. He is fast on a straight-line and laterally, but he's not as proficient turning and running. Lacks elite range in coverage and will have trouble matching up one-on-one versus the NFL's quicker running backs out of the backfield. He has a history of durability issues, including shoulder and knee injuries throughout his career.

Overall: Beason arrived at Miami in 2003, appeared in two games (Louisiana Tech, Florida) as a fullback before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury, and then received a medical redshirt. As a redshirt freshman in 2004, he moved to linebacker and saw action in all 12 games (three starts) recording 29 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and one sack. Beason then started 10 contests and played in all 12 (team opened in nickel for two non-starts) at weakside outside linebacker for the 2005 season, registering 66 total tackles including six for loss. In 2006, he played in 12 of 13 games, missed one game with a knee injury, and finished the season with 75 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, one interception, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery.
Beason lacks elite size and he has a little bit of stiffness in his hips. He also comes with some durability baggage. However, he is a powerful, aggressive and fast linebacker with better instincts and toughness than most prospects in the 2007 draft class. Beason projects as a starting "WILL" linebacker in the NFL and he should come off the board between the late-first and early-second round range.

PaCkFan_n_MD
Man I thought for sure it was olson. Looks like some good offensive players will be there in round two.

pittstang5
panthers take Jon Beason

Charles Woodson
Greg Olson is almost a sure thing here.

Man Carolina did it good, they moved down 10 spots and still got the guy they wanted

ha well todays not a good day for sure things

MadtownPacker
04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Had to step out for a bit. So defense huh? Did anyone predict this guy?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Olsen to the Bears?

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Eagles take Houston?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Nope. Was kind of mad at first, but we will have to wait and see. Hopefully mad the right pick.

BallHawk
Olsen could very well end up going to the Saints, who lack a TE.

CyclonePackFan
Do the Eagles become homers and go for Posluzny?

Rastak
04-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Scouts inc 20-22

20. New York Giants
The pick:Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
Scouts take: Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters have both lost a step and are now liabilities when left on an island so taking a corner makes sense and the Giants got an excellent one in Ross. He possesses a very good blend of size, speed, instincts and ball skills. If he develops as expected, he'll emerge as a playmaking starter at in the NFL. Don't overlook the impact he should make on special teams because the Giants made Chad Morton a cap casualty and need help in that area. It's also worth noting that Central Michigan OT Joe Staley also would have been an excellent selection.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars
Pick acquired from Denver
The pick:Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
Scouts take: Filling the No. 1 need and getting great value is at the pick is all any team could ask for and the Jaguars did just that with this pick. Critics point out that Nelson is somewhat one-dimensional because he isn't big enough to line up in the box or a great run defender but he has great range. His ability to cover so much ground should make him an immediate upgrade over FS Gerald Sensabugh and he gives the Jaguars another playmaker to complement DC Rashean Mathis. In addition, the Jaguars should feel comfortable with this pick because of their familiarity with the player. Jacksonville isn't too far from Gainesville and head coach Jack Del Rio reportedly attended the Gators' Pro Day.

22. Cleveland Browns
Pick acquired from Dallas
The pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
Scouts take: It looked like Cleveland general manager Phil Savage would have to decide between Joe Thomas, Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson when he woke up this morning. Now the Browns get two out of three and we're sure he had to give up a lot to get Quinn but teams have had to give up similar value in similar trades. Though most teams would rather not start a rookie quarterback, Quinn has the poise to step in right away and enough confidence to learn from his mistakes along the way. It also helps that the Browns have done an excellent job of improving the offensive line during the offseason since Quinn shouldn't get harassed as much as Charlie Frye did last year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
Eagles take Houston?

Well they two good ones, but who really knows anymore.

Charles Woodson
Olsen could very well end up going to the Saints, who lack a TE.

Didnt they get Ernie Johnson? i mean this isnt a solution and they do need one but im thinking they go linebacker with Posl

Rastak
04-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow, a funky intra-division trade! Dallas get's the Eagles pick.

RashanGary
04-28-2007, 04:04 PM

HW is the only guy I can think of that liked him. HW's board had him in the early 20's I think.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 04:06 PM
SO who do you guys want in the 2nd?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 04:07 PM

RICE or some how if Olsen is there.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Does it really matter who we hope for.

Thompson will pick somebody nobody is expecting, but there's a good chance the guy will work out.

Rastak
Cowboys take Spencer......

Anthony Spencer
DE | (6'2", 261, 4.7) | PURDUE

Strengths: An explosive up-the-field player. Displays very good first-step quickness and top-end speed. Also possesses closing burst to turn the corner as a perimeter pass rusher in the NFL. His motor never stopped running as a senior and it seems that the "light finally came on" in terms of his technique and recognition skills. He plays the run hard and will give great effort pursuing from the backside. Displays good strength for his size. He shows good catch-up speed and is a powerful hitter.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size; somewhat on the shorter side with just adequate bulk. Might struggle to get off of blocks as quickly versus bigger NFL lineman. He is quick and fast, but he doesn't possess great change-of-direction skills. He needs to continue to improve his array of pass rush moves. He will overextend at times and will take himself out of some running plays, as a result. He shows stiffness in his hips and will be limited in terms of dropping into coverage in the NFL.

Overall: Spencer arrived at Purdue in 2002 and was redshirted. In 2003 as a redshirt freshman, he tore some foot ligaments during spring practice which limited him early on but he then saw action in 10 of 13 games as a reserve defensive end and on special teams, posting six total tackles and 0.5 tackles for loss. Spencer won a starting spot for all 12 contests in 2004 and recorded 33 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, and three forced fumbles. In 2005, he once again started every game (11) for Purdue and registered 23 tackles including 7.5 for loss, three sacks, one fumble recovery, and three forced fumbles. In 14 games during the 2006 season, Spencer made 93 total tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, one fumble recovery, five forced fumbles, blocked one kick, and was named to the All-Big Ten First Team.
Spencer turned in a monster season as a senior in 2006. In fact, very few prospects improved their stock as much as Spencer did over the course of the last year. After combining for 17.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks through his first three seasons, Spencer notched 26.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks as a senior. While some consider him a 'tweener defensive end/outside linebacker, we're not convinced he's athletic enough to play linebacker in the NFL. His best fit most likely will be as a 4-3 defensive end in a one-gap scheme similar to the Colts'. Regardless, Spencer should come off the board late in the first or early in the second round.

BallHawk

Pittman
Irons
Jarrett, Rice, Meachem (If he somehow drops.)

MadtownPacker
04-28-2007, 04:09 PM

HW is the only guy I can think of that liked him. HW's board had him in the early 20's I think.
Really? I think I like the idea of more defense also. DLine is what got the bears to the SB. Get pressure, get turnovers. TT should just trade for Moss, draft a TE, a RB and spend the rest on D.

BallHawk
04-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Thompson will pick somebody nobody is expecting, but there's a good chance the guy will work out.

The way TT's picks have worked out, when the commish says the name of a guy I have never heard of, I will cheer and jump for joy.

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM

Pittman
Irons
Jarrett, Rice, Meachem (If he somehow drops.)

Yea im in the same boat. Would love Ethier pittman, rice, meachum...

Bretsky
04-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Saints ?

Houston or Branch ?

PaCkFan_n_MD
04-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Also I would love Weedle. (more defense :) )

Charles Woodson
04-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Saints ?

Houston or Branch ?

i think its houston or Olsen

Rastak
04-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Saints ?

Houston or Branch ?

i think its houston or Olsen

Yup.

Rastak
04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Scouts inc 23-25

23. Kansas City Chiefs
The pick: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Scouts take: Wonders never cease. It seems like Kansas City's top need the past five seasons has been receiver and they haven't taken one since they drafted Sylvester Morris in 2000. The hope is Bowe pans out and there's reason to be optimistic. He has outstanding size, he catches the ball well and he makes fluid cuts so he clearly has the potential to develop into a reliable possession receiver. Though he doesn't have elite speed and he isn't going to run by defensive backs, he is big and fast enough to make the occasional play downfield so he can stretch defenses vertically. With the Larry Johnson expected back and Bowe taking advantage of TE Tony Gonzalez keeping the safeties of the field, this offense should be even more productive than is was last year despite the likely departure of Trent Green.

24. New England Patriots
Pick acquired from Seattle
The pick: Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami
Scouts take: New England has a reputation for not drafting players with character concerns. And with new commissioner Roger Goodell trying to clean up the league by getting tougher with players, we didn't expect them to draft Meriweather. The Patriots take Meriweather who could be seen trying to stomp on players during the now infamous Miami-Florida International brawl. But the truth is this organization has taking risks on the past. The reason they haven't been as criticized as some other teams is the players they bring in buy into the team philosophy and stay out of trouble. Don't be surprised to see the same thing happen here. New England's veterans should bring him into the fold and the fact that he should see plenty of playing time should help. The reason he should see the field so much is durability concerns surrounding the starters and he is too talented to keep on the sidelines. Meriweather has excellent instincts, he shows great range and he is an effective open field tackler

hurleyfan
Ok Gang,
just getting in...

Justin Harrell ??

Brainerd
Justin Harrell is from the same hometown as Chad Clifton. Martin, Tennessee. The population was 10,515 at the 2000 census.

They both played for Tennessee and now they will both be playing for the Packers.

Harrell mentioned Clifton during his talk with TT just before the Packers drafted him.

Just a hmmm moment I guess.

MJZiggy
04-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Ok Gang,
just getting in...

Justin Harrell ??

Yep. They hated him at first but now are getting used to the idea. He looks like he could be a good addition once that biceps is healed fully.

hurleyfan
04-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Justin Harrell is from the same hometown as Chad Clifton. Martin, Tennessee. The population was 10,515 at the 2000 census.

They both played for Tennessee and now they will both be playing for the Packers.

Harrell mentioned Clifton during his talk with TT just before the Packers drafted him.

Just a hmmm moment I guess.

Not sure I heard much about him... is he worthy of #16 ?

BallHawk
That could be one hell of a tandem.

Colston and Meachem.

Damn..... :shock:

Rastak
Saints pick Meachem....good pick.....

Robert Meachem
WR | (6'2", 214, 4.39) | TENNESSEE

Scouts Grade: 92

Strengths: Possesses very good size and above average speed for a bigger receiver. His initial burst is impressive and he shows the consistent ability to drive defensive backs off the line of scrimmage. He possesses long arms and big hands. Knows how to use his body to shield defenders. Can pluck on the run, gets up-field extremely quickly for his size and also shows the ability to consistently make the first defender miss. He is a strong runner that will break attempted arm tackles versus smaller DB's in the open field.

Weaknesses: Still can improve his consistency as a route runner. Has a tendency to round off some of his routes and isn't always as crisp as he should be getting in and out of his breaks. He seems to have some problems reading coverage; he will occasionally fail to find soft spots in zone and he doesn't always seem to be on the same page with his quarterback on option routes. He seems to struggle locating the ball occasionally on deep throws and will mis-time some of his leaps. Also needs to become more physical; he seems to fear going over the middle and will drop some catchable passes when he hears footsteps. Gives a good effort as a blocker but needs to improve his technique. Needs to play with more leverage and learn to sustain down-field blocks more effectively. Knee injury in 2003 is somewhat concerning but he has been healthy since.

Overall: Meachem underwent knee surgery in August 2003 leading to a medical redshirt season. In 2004 he returned to play in all 13 games (zero starts) and led the team with 459 yards on 25 catches (18.4 average) and four touchdowns. Meachem appeared in all 11 games in 2005, with two starts, and again led the team in receiving yards with 383 on 29 catches (13.2 average) and two touchdowns. In 2006 he started all 13 games and finished with 71 catches for 1,298 yards (18.3 average) and 11 touchdowns earning him a consensus All-American selection.
Meachem could have used another season of experience at the collegiate level. He is a bit of an inconsistent route runner and he has a tendency to lose focus as a pass-catcher. Despite his size and strength, he is not an overly physical receiver and it's obvious he prefers working the sideline to going over the middle. However, his combination of size, speed and athletic ability is outstanding. His biggest asset as a pro-prospect is playmaking ability, especially in terms of creating after the catch. He seemed to mature a great deal during his breakout junior season, so there's promise of Meachem continuing to improve at the next level. In our opinion, Meachem grades out as a second-round value but he is expected to come off the board late in the first round due to high NFL ceiling.