View Full Version : 2006 Live DRAFT Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Fosco33
04-29-2006, 02:39 PM
DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT?

Chad Jackson's agent was talking to him about the Pack with #4 in the 2nd!

Yes!

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 02:40 PM
A FRICKIN DIRTY GOPHER OVER DEANGELO WILLIAMS ????????????????

Deputy Nutz
Lawrence Maroney taken by the Patriots!!!!

imscott72
Wow Maroney before Williams?? Minor surprise here isn't it?

Rastak
Cool.........rock on Maroney!!!!!

A.J. Mast for TSN
Overall grade: 8.1
Position rank: 2
225lb bench: 14
NFL comparison:
Clinton Portis, Redskins

LAURENCE MARONEY MEASURABLES
Height: 6-0 Weight: 215
40-yard dash: 4.47 10-yard dash:
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 10-3 225-lb. bench: 21
3-cone drill: Vertical jump: 35
Wonderlic: 30 20-yard dash:

KEY * Recently updated Position grade increased Position grade decreased
Laurence Maroney
RB, Minnesota

War Room analysis
Inside running: Runs bigger than his size would indicate and is explosive. Possesses vision, shows patience, makes one cut and gets downhill in a hurry. Plants and drives through cuts well. Doesn't dance or hesitate. Lacks the bulk to run over defenders or push the pile but is slippery and will hit creases at full speed. Grade: 8.2.

Outside running: Shows outstanding body control to cut on a dime on the second level and bounce outside. Is not especially elusive but can shake linebackers or bounce off tackles. Has the speed to pull away for long runs. Grade: 8.2.

Blocking: Has limited experience in pass protection and must improve blitz awareness. Lacks the size to handle defensive linemen in pass protection and isn't willing to take or deliver a blow at the point of attack. Must get tougher and improve blocking technique to be an every-down back. Grade: 7.9.

Hands/routes: Has limited experience as a receiver. Is not a natural. Doesn't snatch the ball and tuck it quickly, and takes too long to become a runner after the catch. Is a serviceable dump-off option but doesn't recognize coverages well or get open quickly. Grade: 7.8.

Durability: Had no significant injuries in college but must add bulk to be a primary running back in the NFL. Has limited wear and tear because he split carries with Marion Barber III and Gary Russell the last two seasons. Grade: 8.2.

Bottom line: Maroney is a prototype runner for the zone-blocking system made popular by the Broncos and recently copied throughout the league. With added bulk, will remind fans of ex-Broncos great Terrell Davis. Maroney shows awareness and is a patient but decisive runner. Has all the physical tools -- explosiveness, breakaway speed, body control -- to be a feature back. He never fumbles. Barber left Minnesota early because he couldn't surpass Maroney, and Barber had a promising rookie season with the Cowboys in '05, a good indicator of Maroney's ability to succeed in the NFL. Maroney is a certain first-round pick and, depending on a team's scheme, could be the second, third or fourth running back selected.

Dan Pompei analysis
Chain-moving back is good at everything. Shows the vision to find creases. Has good one-cut ability. Is a creative runner. Has made plenty of big plays. Can elude in the open field. Has good size and can break tackles. Early-eligible junior ran for 1,000 yards in each of his three seasons against tough Big Ten competition. Runs with strength, but he is not a power back. Doesn't move piles very effectively. Needs work in the passing game, both in pass protection and route running.
No. 3 on Pompei's RB rankings

motife
04-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Niners are up with the 22nd pick...

rk ….. #.. ….. NFL ….. Name
1 ….. 2 ….. N.O. ….. Reggie Bush RB
2 ….. 1 ….. Hou ….. Mario Williams DE
3 ….. 4 ….. NYJ ….. D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT
4 ….. 10 ….. AZ ….. Matt Leinart QB
5 ….. 5 ….. GB ….. AJ Hawk OLB
6 ….. 6 ….. SF ….. Vernon Davis TE
7 ….. 3 ….. Ten ….. Vincent Young QB
8 ….. 7 ….. Oak ….. Michael Huff CB
9 ….. 14 ….. Phi ….. Brodrick Bunkley DT
10 ….. 12 ….. Bal ….. Haloti Ngata DT
11 ….. 11 ….. Den ….. Jay Cutler QB
12 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Winston Justice OT
13 ….. 13 ….. Cle ….. Kamerion Wimbley DE
14 ….. 9 ….. Det ….. Ernie Sims OLB
15 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Chad Jackson WR
16 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Santonio Holmes WR
17 ….. 17 ….. Min ….. Chad Greenway OLB
18 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Jimmy Williams CB
19 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Deangelo Williams RB
20 ….. 8 ….. Buff ….. Donte Whitner S
21 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Johnathan Joseph CB
22 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Manny Lawson DE
23 ….. 19 ….. SD ….. Antonio Cromartie CB
24 ….. 21 ….. NE ….. Laurence Maroney RB
25 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Nick Mangold OC
26 ….. 15 ….. Stl ….. Tye Hill CB
27 ….. 16 ….. Mia ….. Jason Allen S
28 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Ashton Youboty CB
29 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. LenDale White RB
30 ….. 18 ….. Dal ….. Bobby Carpenter OLB
31 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Sinorice Moss WR
32 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Kelly Jennings CB
33 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Mathias Kiwanuka DE
34 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Marcus McNeill OT
35 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Marcedes Lewis TE
36 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Richard Marshall CB
37 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Darryl Tapp DE
38 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Eric Winston OT
39 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Leonard Pope TE
40 ….. 20 ….. KC ….. Tamba Hali DE

Rastak

He's gonna kick some ass in the pros.

imscott72
DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT?

Yes!

That would be great, but I'd be as shocked as Houston not picking Bush if Jackson was still around for us..

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 02:44 PM

He's gonna kick some ass in the pros.

IT'S A SAD DAY WHEN WE HEAR THE DIRTY GOPHER SCHOOL BEFORE THE BADGERS

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 02:44 PM
MAnny Lawson to the 49ers.

falco
04-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow, the JSO official draft thread really sucks...this truly is the place to be now.

Bretsky
I kind of liked Lawson

imscott72
Lawson?? I don't know anything about this guy...

Rastak
Lawson off the board...

Manny Lawson
OLB, NC State

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is an outstanding natural athlete with rare speed. Plays bigger than his size would indicate. Is an explosive tackler. As a pass rusher, flies off the edge and shows a great closing burst. Is raw, but continues to develop pass-rush moves. Has steadily matured. Shows the speed to blow past top offensive tackles. Chases down the ball well in pursuit. Shows good instincts, takes good angles to the ball and makes sound open-field tackles. Is a demon on special teams. Works hard in the weight room, and shows the potential to add bulk.

Weaknesses: Is undersized. Must strengthen lower body and play with better leverage at the point of attack. Can get overwhelmed against the run. Must learn to use hands better to shed blocks; relies too much on strong upper body.

Bottom line: Lawson is a physical specimen with freakish strength and terrific running and leaping ability. He must polish his all-around game but has unlimited potential. With added bulk, he can be an every-down end. With his current skills, he also could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Lawson\u2019s stock improved with impressive pre-draft workouts and could be drafted withing the top 15.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is a long-limbed speed rusher who is a finesse player. Has a burst. Can cut back inside. Uses an array of moves. Hand use is pretty good. Gets surprising leverage given his build. Is a bit gangly and struggles to redirect. Takes some plays off. Can get bulled against the run. Is also considered as an outside linebacker prospect and situational rusher.
No. 7 on Pompei's DE rankings

motife
04-29-2006, 02:46 PM
The Bucs are in the batters box...

22 ….. 22 ….. SF ….. Manny Lawson DE

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow, the JSO official draft thread really sucks...this truly is the place to be now.

Yes, I'm mentally challenged over here...................wait...........I'm always menally challenged.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Lawson is going to be a great player for the 49ers, he is fast and get all over a QB or running back. It might take him a while to learn the OLB position, but is a good athlete.

Rastak
04-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, the Vikings tried to trade with Philly to make sure they got Greenway but Philly got greedy....backup plan was Ryans.

Tarlam!
04-29-2006, 02:49 PM
It might take him a while to learn the OLB position, but is a good athlete.

Don't they play a 3-4?

falco
04-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow, the Vikings tried to trade with Philly to make sure they got Greenway but Philly got greedy....backup plan was Ryans.

Rastak you think the Vikings are going to take a QB in the second sometime? I can't believe with their mass of first day picks they won't get Childress some kind of project to work on.

mngolf19
04-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Rastak, I'm glad they didn't trade. Again, this is working out just the way I hoped it would. 4 more good/great players today.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 02:52 PM
They do play a 3-4. and that is why Lawson would move to an OLB position.

Rastak

Rastak you think the Vikings are going to take a QB in the second sometime? I can't believe with their mass of first day picks they won't get Childress some kind of project to work on.Yea Falco, I think they'll grab a 1st day QB....maybe 3rd but could be 2nd.

Scott Campbell
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 2:38 p.m.

By Rick Klauer
Hawk was hoping to go to Green Bay

A.J. Hawk: “I was really hoping (to go to Green Bay) to tell you the truth, I think everyone in my family was. I’m coming from the Midwest and ….people talk about the tradition and history of the Packers and that’s kind of where I came from. That’s why I think it will be a great fit.”

Tarlam!
Hawk on sirius-nfl NOW!

falco
Hawk on sirius-nfl NOW!

Dammit...I could go sit in my car.

Bossman641
04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
It might take him a while to learn the OLB position, but is a good athlete.

Don't they play a 3-4?

Yea I'm pretty sure the niners play a 3-4 defense. If I were a 49ers fan I'd be happy with their draft so far. They could pick pretty much anyone and he would be a huge help to them but Davis should provide a huge boost for Alex Smith and I think Lawson could be this year's Merriman or Ware. He may struggle in coverage at first but he should make for a very good pass-rushing OLB.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 2:29 p.m.

By Dave Heller
More love for Hawk

OK, you can also add the Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer as those enthralled with the Packers' pick of A.J. Hawk.

In his draft-day blog, Iyer writes:

"It doesn't take Frederich Nietzsche to figure out that the Packers needed someone like Ray Nitschke for their linebacker corps. Wait, who am I, Dennis Miller? I love their pick of A.J. Hawk, who has much more promise as a future professional long-haired hitman than A.J. Soprano. Hawk's seek-and-destroy style may eventually make him as popular as Brett Favre among Pack faithful."

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 02:54 PM
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 2:25 p.m.

By Tom Silverstein
No deal for Walker on the table

Contrary to an earlier report from NFL.com's Gil Brandt, an NFL source has told the Journal Sentinel that no trade currently exists between the Packers and Broncos regarding Javon Walker.

Rastak
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 2:38 p.m.

By Rick Klauer
Hawk was hoping to go to Green Bay

A.J. Hawk: “I was really hoping (to go to Green Bay) to tell you the truth, I think everyone in my family was. I’m coming from the Midwest and ….people talk about the tradition and history of the Packers and that’s kind of where I came from. That’s why I think it will be a great fit.”

AJ Hawk radio, all day every day.....

:lol:

MateoInMex
Sorry this has nothing to do with the draft...

But the Milwaukee Brewers are giving the Cubs are serious beat down!!!!!!

6 HR's 2 by Prince Fielder, JJ Hardy just knocked out a 2-run shot!!

10-0!!! Oh yea, MUH MAN BILL HALL blasted one over the wall into the legendary "BACHELOR FRUITY MARGARITA DRINKING YUPPIE SECTION"!!!

motife
04-29-2006, 02:55 PM
The Trade Watch: More On Javon Walker
By: Patriots Insider Staff
Date: Apr 29, 2006

Reports have been flying around that the Patriots were trying to become serious players in the Javon Walker negotiations between the Packers and the Broncos. New England, in the market for a replacement for the departed David Givens, is looking at possibly using some of their Draft picks to acquire the Green Bay veteran. The Packers are believed to be asking for a first round pick, and it's unclear if the Patriots have enough to offer should Green Bay lower the demands slightly.

Thursday, a report on ESPN broke the news that negotiations for Walker were between the Packers, the Saints and the Broncos with Philadelphia, Miami, Kansas City and New England listed as possibilities as well. Then on local Boston Radio, the report gained momentum with Michael Smith telling the listeners that New England was working on trying to get into the mix.

Walker reportedly flew to New Orleans on Thursday, then on to Denver for a Friday visit/physical. The negotiations between Denver and Green Bay stalled, while Walker remained in Colorado. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, citing an NFL source, reported late Friday that no deal for Walker had been reached, and that discussions with the Saints broke down when the Packers demanded that New Orleans include WR Donte Stallworth

Late yesterday it became evident that the Broncos were trying to complete the trade before allow Walker to board a plane. The Green Bay Press Gazette reported that Walker was still in Denver yesterday afternoon, while other reports surfaced indicated that Walker was headed to Foxborough for a visit.

Late Friday night Tom Curran of the Providence Journal reported that the Patriots had Walker in for a visit and a physical The Boston Herald is reporting similar news this morning.

So where does that leave the Patriots in the loop?

According to Curran, the team may not have enough firepower to complete the deal. Sources in Green Bay have indicated that Thompson is unlikely to lower his demand for Walker unless other picks or players are included beyond a second round Draft pick that Denver is offering. Denver has receiver Ashlie Lelie on the table as part of the deal, but Green Bay reportedly isn't interested in Lelie, so Denver needs another partner.

New England, looking to swing the deal for Walker could conceivably offer another player, such as Bethel Johnson to try to entice Green Bay into accepting less than a first-round pick for Walker, but it is not likely they would go for that if Lelie wasn't enough to satisfy their demand.

Philadelphia is still interested, and could remain a major player if compensation can be worked out. The Draft could be the final catalyst for completing a deal. Teams tend to become more anxious to complete a deal, as their turn on the clock gets closer. While Denver remains the consensus favorite toe land Walker, anything is possible when the Draft is underway. Those who recall Mike Ditka's obsession with Ricky Williams in New Orleans know the kind of heights some teams will go to acquire the player they want.

Tarlam!
He was surprised, he thought we'd go VD. He and his family were secretly hoping he'd come to us.

He's real excited. He's looking forward to getting to Green Bay tonight.

Unfortunately the commentary box wasn't very good...

Scott Campbell
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 2:27 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
Did the Lions blow it again?

Matt Millen has been on the job for five years in Detroit and still doesn't have a quarterback. But he passed on both Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler.

Considering that Millen has done nothing but invest in the passing game in the first round of past drafts, it would have been a risk, not to mention an embarrassment, for him to draft another quarterback No. 1. But without one, the Lions aren't going anywhere.

dr.tedGM
04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
It is time to get a deal done for Javon. I would take a second right now.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Well there goes Joseph....

Sparkey
fuckin buccs

Deputy Nutz
Davin Joseph is off the board went to tampa bay

Tarlam!
Too bad, they picked our guard.

Bretsky
CRAP THAT PECKERHEAD GRUDEN GRABBED OUR GUY !!

Rastak
Harvey, no OG for Packers.......oops, I mean elite....

Davin Joseph
G, Oklahoma

War Room analysis
Run blocking: Has adequate bulk and average height. Plays with great leverage and body control. Finishes blocks. Has a mean streak. Consistently hits moving targets on the linebacker level. Must improve footwork but moves swiftly in open field. Grade: 7.4

Pass blocking: Is aggressive. Shows natural knee bend and slides smoothly into sets. Lacks a massive frame but has long arms. Mirrors and slides well with pass rushers. Must improve blitz recognition. Grade: 7.4

Initial quickness: Shows outstanding initial quickness. Rarely loses a one-on-one matchup. Gets good leverage quickly after the snap. Grade: 7.7

Strength: Is powerful and well built. Has a wide body but doesn't have a massive frame. Excels at knocking back defenders with hand punch. Grade: 7.5

Mobility: Shows great mobility and good lateral movement. Is smooth; moves well in open field. Pulls and traps well to reach linebackers. Grade: 7.6

Bottom line: Joseph, a hardworking lineman, continues to improve. He is fundamentally strong and should start as a rookie. He could be the first guard drafted and projects to be an early second-round selection with first-round potential.

Dan Pompei analysis
Played left tackle in college, but is built more like a guard. Is smart, nasty and tough. Is versatile. Picks up stunts and blitzes well. Uses hands well. Maintains separation from defenders. Plays with a good base. Can run block and pass protect equally well. Has long arms and big hands. Doesn't bend well at the knees. No. 2 on Pompei's OG rankings

Bossman641
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 2:25 p.m.

By Tom Silverstein
No deal for Walker on the table

Contrary to an earlier report from NFL.com's Gil Brandt, an NFL source has told the Journal Sentinel that no trade currently exists between the Packers and Broncos regarding Javon Walker.
Does anyone else think that Walker will eventually end up back with us? I know many want to get rid of him but I really want him back. Ted has handled this the best way possible. You tell Walker, "OK we'll let you seek a trade but if you're really as good as you think you are then some team should be willing to give up a first for you, right?"

My dream scenario: TT lets Walker shop himself around. Walker finds that teams aren't willing to give him a big payday up front and or give up a 1st rounder. TT promises Walker that halfway through the year he will give Walker if he proves himself. Walker comes back and puts up huge numbers. Everyone is happy.

motife
04-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Cincinatti is up..

41 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Gabriel Watson DT
42 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. DeMeco Ryans OLB
43 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Claude Wroten DT
44 ….. 23 ….. TB ….. Davin Joseph OG

falco
04-29-2006, 02:59 PM

I think we're in a spot to get a lot more if TT plays things right...we should know by the end of the day.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 03:00 PM

Agree, but nothing lower. We don't "have" to trade JW; my guess is teams are trying to lowball us with 3rd being the top offer.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Matt Millen - Har, har, har! That guy did it again, except this time it's a guy with a history of a soft melon. Since Denver moved up for Cutler, you wonder if it wouldn't have been as easy for Millen to make that trade with Denver, pick up an extra third rounder, and still have his choice of Sims or Bunkley at the #15 spot (Bunkley didn't go til 16, right?).

In any case, you've got to remember that if Millen HAD picked up Leinart or Cutler, there would have been a QB controversy and the Lions would've wrecked both McNown and Leinart or Cutler. That's just the Lions.

Okay...any new rumors on JWalk? I am seriously hoping for a trade to NO for their second this year and maybe a third next year.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Somebody, please wake me up when the Packers pick again. The 1st rd is taking forever.

falco
04-29-2006, 03:02 PM

Agree, but nothing lower. We don't "have" to trade JW; my guess is teams are trying to lowball us with 3rd being the top offer.

Bretsky, I think we have a ton of seconds available, Thompson is probably looking for more (a first, or a 2nd and 4th, etc). Having so many trading partners probably encourages him... but time is running out to make something happen...I would guess that by the time the patriots make their second round pick we've run out of options.

motife
04-29-2006, 03:03 PM
If the Packers don't trade Walker, they are in for a protracted dispute that could last all the way into the second half of the season. Walker needs only to play the final six games of the season to earn his year of credit and become a free agent after the season, so he could possibly sit out the first 10 games.

However, he would be in breach of his contract and the Packers could fine him $6,000 a day and force him to repay a quarter of his $1.3 million option bonus paid in 2003. They also could label him the franchise player at a cost of about $7 million after the season to prevent him from signing with another team in free agency.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 03:05 PM
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 3:03 p.m.

By Rick Klauer
Thompson on Walker: "This is not going to be a fire sale"

Ted Thompson regarding the possible draft day trade of Javon Walker:

“We’ve received a number of calls over the course of the last three weeks or so and it finally got to a point in the interest level. . . . I don’t know how that’s going to turn out – there’s no way of anticipating.

"There are some teams interested but this is going to be a fair trade for the Green Bay Packers, or Javon is going to be a Green Bay Packer. This is not going to be a fire sale.”

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:06 PM
CRAP THAT PECKERHEAD GRUDEN GRABBED OUR GUY !!

Gruds is prob pissed we signed Woodson...

MateoInMex
04-29-2006, 03:08 PM
While I was shocked that JETS fans didn't mind their team picked DA BRICK, I wasn't surprised when they booed Herman Edwards in an ESPN interview.

The Giants follow the Bengals, and it will be all BOOS FOR THE NEXT 15 MINUTES!!

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:09 PM
hmmmm......Joseph DB to bengals....Pompei likes him....

Johnathan Joseph
CB, South Carolina

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is an exciting player with outstanding speed. Is a natural athlete with amazing ability to changes direction. Easily turns and runs with receivers. Is explosive out of cuts. Has tremendous burst and closing ability. Challenges receivers downfield, and will make plays on the ball. Is physical and willing in run support. Is a solid open-field tackler. Can return kicks and punts.

Weaknesses: Has limited experience against elite competition. Needs a lot of coaching. Has poor body control. Tries to make too many plays, and falls victim to play-action fakes, pump fakes and double moves. Must improve his awareness. Durability is a concern.

Bottom line: Joseph recovered from a broken foot in '04 to play well as a senior, his only season as a starter in Division I-A. He has outstanding speed and playmaking ability. He is fearless and should contribute immediately on special teams. He is inexperienced and will need time and coaching to develop but could be a starting cornerback in a couple seasons. Joseph's stock continues to rise. He could move up to be a late first-round pick.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is physical with good speed and hip movements. Shows good instincts, and plays the ball well. Makes plays. Gets a good jam on receivers. Is willing and able to support the run. Can play man-to-man, and has a feel for zone. Is feisty, competitive and aggressive. Doesn't worry about getting beat. Has limited experience. Was impressive during interviews with team officials.
No. 1 on Pompei's CB rankings

motife
04-29-2006, 03:11 PM
The New York football Giants are on the firing line...

21 ….. 24 ….. Cin ….. Johnathan Joseph CB

falco
04-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Motife, whose mock draft are you showing there?

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Jonathan Joseph goes to the Bengals

Players that are still available with a first round grade

Deangelo Williams, Rb
Santonio Holmes, WR
Chad Jackson, WR
Leonard Pope, TE
Marcedes Lewis, TE
Winston Justice, OT
Marcus McNeill, OT
Eric Winston, OT
Nick Mangold, C
Gabe Watson, DT
Demeco Ryans, OLB
Jimmy Williams, DB
Ashton Youboty, CB
Daniel Bullocks, S

Tarlam!
04-29-2006, 03:15 PM
I say they'll take an OT.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Crap. Bucs got Joseph. Oh well. There's still lots of talent out there. And JWalk ready for the taking - how about a second from N.O. and a third next year? Then we have two early second round picks.

Man. Not a single wideout taken yet.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:16 PM
the giants are going to take one of the WR's...Prob Jackson...

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey Nutz, does TT pull the trigger on Mangold with the next pick if he is there or does he go WR?

Tarlam!
04-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey Nutz, does TT pull the trigger on Mangold with the next pick if he is there or does he go WR?

I'm surprised he's still there! The Steelers would prolly take him.

Bretsky

I think TT pulls the trigger on Mangold

CyclonePackFan

That's a really tough call. I'm not Nutz, but I'd say we pull on Mangold. You can find people to run and catch the ball off the street. It takes more to make a good O lineman.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:19 PM
I would take Mangold. He would be my guy if he is still available. Improves the interior offensive line immediately. Make Wells play guard, or is true position, backup center.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Steelers trade up?

Deputy Nutz
TRADE!!!!

Pittsburgh takes New Yorks pick!!!!!

Looking at reciever

Bretsky
PITTSBURG trades up and is grabbing a RB or WR or Mangold.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:21 PM
the giants are going to take one of the WR's...Prob Jackson...

Ok, I was right about the position, wrong team...

Tarlam!
PITTSBURG trades up and is grabbing a RB or WR or Mangold.

You picked it!

CyclonePackFan
Santonio Holmes is gone...

MadtownPacker
Nice move by Pittsburgh, very nice.

Rastak
Dude looked fired up!

Santonio Holmes
WR, Ohio State

War Room analysis
Hands: Has good, soft hands. Must improve on catching intermediate passes. Catches passes at full speed and over his head. Makes tough catches in traffic. Lets too many balls get to his body. Grade: 8.0.

Patterns: Is an accomplished route-runner. Closes the cushion quickly, separates well. Shows terrific footwork and lower-body strength to make crisp cuts. Stops and starts quickly. Shows a great burst. Grade: 8.3.

Run after catch: Is explosive. Gets upfield immediately after the catch. Is a threat to score on every touch. Always seems to make first defender miss. Shows a second gear in the open field. Shows good vision to use blockers well. Grade: 8.3.

Release: Has a small frame. Is adept at sidestepping jams but must learn to use hands better to shed defenders. Shows great initial quickness. Won't be able to outrun NFL cornerbacks to the outside. Must become more patient. Grade: 7.9.

Blocking: Is competitive and willing to work but is limited by his size. Is stronger than he appears but has a short reach. Must use cut blocks to be effective. Must take better angles to defenders. Won't be effective cracking back against linebackers. Grade: 7.8.

Bottom line: Holmes is a constant home run threat. Although he didn't put up huge numbers in Ohio State's conservative offense, Holmes has the potential to be an NFL star. His size is sufficient, his speed is explosive and his ability is off the charts. He will need time to develop but immediately will contribute in the return game and as a No. 2 or slot receiver. He should be selected in the first round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Smooth runner with hands to make catches away from his body. Knows how to get past a cornerback on a fly route, and can catch the deep ball. Has a feel for finding space in zones. Has OK size, but has the quickness of a smaller man. Has separation ability. Isn't a real physical blocker. Doesn't have elite speed, but is fast enough. Is a hard worker who picks up things quickly. Has shown consistent improvement and should continue to improve.
No. 2 on Pompei's WR rankings

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I was hoping he was going to drop, but that was really unrealistic.

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 03:23 PM
If Winston Justice continues to drop, do we take him and move Tauscher? Just a thought.

Rastak
Nice move by Pittsburgh, very nice.What up Mad? You fix the forum for firefox yet, I had to fire up xp on vmware to surf the site today after you destroyed it.... :smile:

OS PA
With the Steelers moving up for Santonio Holmes the rest of the 1st round should play out like this

Bears - Tight End or WR
Carolina - WR
Jaguars - LB
NYJ - RB - DeAngelo Williams
Colts - CB or RB
Seattle - ?
NYG - WR

Packers back up in an hour and twenty minutes =).

motife
the always over confident Chicago Bears are up :

16 ….. 25 ….. Pit ….. Santonio Holmes WR

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Ah, the first wide receiver goes. Now other teams, looking for a wideout, will start grabbing at them. Sphincters will tighten, and soon teams will be begging TT to send JWalk to them. They will be like the proverbial college co-ed: "I'll do anything, professor - anything - to get Javon Walker..."

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I think Bears will take Jimmy Williams.

Rastak
If Winston Justice continues to drop, do we take him and move Tauscher? Just a thought.I like Justice, I wish there were some way for the Vikes to get him but it isn't realistic. Probably not GB either, unless he slides a couple more picks.....

Tarlam!
Trade!

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:27 PM
The Steelers gave up a 3rd and a 4th to move up.

Rastak
I think Bears will take Jimmy Williams.That would suck....but it would be a great pick.

Bretsky
If Winston Justice continues to drop, do we take him and move Tauscher? Just a thought.I like Justice, I wish there were some way for the Vikes to get him but it isn't realistic. Probably not GB either, unless he slides a couple more picks.....

DeMeco Ryans would be a nice addition to GB

outflow
Did anyone see that chick sitting next to Chad Jackson?

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:28 PM

DeMeco Ryans would be a nice addition to GBI think he's a very good lb'er.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Trade? Chicago to Bills? Way to give up a starter Bears =).

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I think Ryans is to small to play strongside linebacker.

Bretsky
FRICKIN BEARS WILL TRADE DOWN

Fritz
In terms of Mangold, the real question is whether TT believes Well and/or White is a real NFL center. If he thinks so, then you pass on Mangold. Besides, won't he be available later in the second round anyway, when the Packers are picking again (okay, I'm pretending they sent JWalk packing). Centers don't often get drafted that high.

My guess is that TT trades down. He wants more picks and there will be a market for the 36th pick. You read it here first, folks.

Bretsky
Did anyone see that chick sitting next to Chad Jackson?

Missed it; she's trying to find her sugar daddy.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2006, 03:31 PM
WHO?

Fritz
Well, if he ends up in GB at least we'd have someone to look at if the Pack is getting crushed.

Deputy Nutz
John McCargo???

I had him as a second even a third

imscott72
WTF???? McCargo? Isn't Gabe Watson on the board yet? Wow, surprise here for Buffalo....Wonder what the Bears got in return...

Rastak
John McCargo
DT, NC State

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is an explosive defensive lineman with good initial power. Has adequate speed and mobility. Changes directions smoothly. Shows good balance against the run and pass. Plays with good awareness, and has a nose for the ball.

Weaknesses: Is undersized, and must add bulk. Doesn't bend knees well, and plays too high. Can be overwhelmed by big offensive tackles, and lacks the ability to hold his ground at the point of attack. Lacks a closing burst. Has some durability issues because of an \u201805 foot fracture that needed surgery.

Bottom line: McCargo, a junior, is smart and works hard. He shouldn\u2019t be expected to dominate but rather be a solid one-gap tackle. He is quick and athletic and could go as high as the middle of the second round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Tough player who gets overlooked because he came out early and missed six games with a broken foot last season. Has the quickness and power to be disruptive. Changes directions and moves well laterally. Is effective vs. both run and pass. Has some pass-rush moves. Finds the ball. Is getting better each week and should continue to improve.
No. 4 on Pompei's DT rankings

CyclonePackFan
Is Mike Sherman drafting for the Bills?

OS PA
Wow! Bills have the worst scouts! DT John McCargo? They should have sat where they were in the 2nd and still picked him up. I bet they sold the house too.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 03:32 PM
In terms of Mangold, the real question is whether TT believes Well and/or White is a real NFL center. If he thinks so, then you pass on Mangold. Besides, won't he be available later in the second round anyway, when the Packers are picking again (okay, I'm pretending they sent JWalk packing). Centers don't often get drafted that high.

My guess is that TT trades down. He wants more picks and there will be a market for the 36th pick. You read it here first, folks.

Unless somebody falls then it's a good idea to trade down and add an extra third.

Mangold may be too good to pass up though; best C in the draft, and if he's the best C or OG TT may snatch him.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Looks like we should have been watching more NC State games this year.

imscott72
Ok, well this is good. Keep pushing all these 1st rounders down the board...We're gonna end up with somethin good at this rate...

Rastak
DeAngelo Williams
RB, Memphis

War Room analysis
Inside running: Is a short-but-powerful slasher who decisively hits the hole. Shows vision and patience but doesn't hesitate when he sees an open cutback lane. Only needs a crease at the line. Will burst through the hole and bounce runs to the outside. Shows quickness; doesn't hop or hesitate on cuts. Shows excellent body control and change-of-direction skills, and runs with his pads low to gain tremendous leverage. Will run over defenders in the hole, and can move the pile in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Lack of height allows him to get lost behind his linemen until he bursts into the second level. Grade: 8.1.

Outside running: Is a shifty runner with good -- but not great -- elusiveness. Uses balance, body control, quickness and/or stiff arms to beat defenders in the open field. Is tough to tackle and will drag defenders. Outruns linebackers and runs over defensive backs. Has a second gear but lacks breakaway speed. Uses blockers well to setup runs downfield. Grade: 8.1.

Blocking: Lack of height works against him in pass protection. Is a willing blocker and shows great pop and leverage at the point of attack. Often resorts to cutting defensive linemen and struggles to sustain blocks. Must improve blitz awareness. Grade: 7.5.

Hands/routes: Shows promise as a receiver. Creates mismatches against linebackers. Shows reliable hands, runs decent routes, recognizes coverage and will improve with experience. Snatches the pass at full speed and tucks it quickly to become a threat after the catch. Can catch downfield passes over his head. Grade: 7.9.

Durability: Has an injury history -- broken leg in '04, MCL tear in '03 and a knee sprain in '02. Did answer questions with an injury-free, workhorse-like 310 carries in senior season. That showed durability but it also could hurt his stock because he was overused, taking too many hits. Grade: 7.5.

Bottom line: Williams lacks ideal height but is a powerful back with enough bulk, strength, speed, quickness, instincts, vision and discipline to be a feature back. He appears to have great character and never complained about his inferior supporting cast in college. Williams won't fit every GM's feature-back model, but he will be drafted somewhere in the middle of the first round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Workhorse back is the all-time NCAA all-purpose yardage leader. Runs shiftily and plays off blocks exceptionally well. Has outstanding vision and patience. Stays on his feet. Can squeeze through cracks and is slippery between the tackles. Knows how to avoid big hits. Is not a burner; lacks exceptional burst. Does not run with much power. Doesn't have ideal height but has a thick build. Some consider him a third-down back. Ball security is a minor concern.
No. 4 on Pompei's RB rankings

motife
Jacksonville is ready at 28...

19 ….. 27 ….. Car ….. Deangelo Williams RB
20 ….. 8 ….. Buf ….. Donte Whitner S
45 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Demetrius Williams WR
46 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. D'Qwell Jackson ILB
47 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Joseph Addai RB
48 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Anthony Fasano TE
49 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Rocky McIntosh OLB
50 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Max Jean-Gilles OG
52 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Rodrique Wright DT
53 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Thomas Howard OLB
54 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Daniel Bullocks S
55 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Cedric Griffin CB
56 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Kellen Clemens QB
57 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Darnell Bing S
58 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Maurice Stovall WR
59 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Abdul Hodge ILB
60 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Deuce Lutui OG
61 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Ko Simpson S
62 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Andrew Whitworth OT
63 ….. 26 ….. Buf ….. John McCargo DT

imscott72
Buh Bye Williams...

Deputy Nutz
Deangelo Willams goes to Carolina

OS PA
Good pick!

CyclonePackFan
DeAngelo Williams to Carolina

That one DOES make a lot of sense.

outflow
Missed it; she's trying to find her sugar daddy.

No doubt.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Man, if I were a Buffalo Bills fans I'd be really, really PISSED OFF. What a dumb draft. What the f___ is wrong with Marv Levy?

OS PA
Jags either take Demeco Ryans or make the stretch and pull the triggers on Thomas Howard.

Bretsky
Well, if he ends up in GB at least we'd have someone to look at if the Pack is getting crushed.

Hawk's gal isn't bad; rumor around the Holy G is she is a grailee. A new drafting strategy ?

Scott Campbell
Is Sherman in the Buffalo war room?

MateoInMex
04-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Dude,

I posted that same thing in another thread here!!!

Marv Levy= Mike Charmin

You wonder if Gary Kubiak is even allowing Charmin into the war room!!!

They probably bolt locked the entrance..Now at Texan head quarters, there's some fat guy in the hallway!!!

NO MARIO WILLIAMS!!! NO REGGIE BUSH!!!! DRAFT A LONG SNAPPER YOU A$$$HOLES!!!!!

outflow
It seems the Panthers draft RB first round every year, even if they don't it sure feels that way

CyclonePackFan
Now, here's an interesting question:

We all know TT drafts for value. IF, hypothetically, we get to our pick and Mangold, Justice, and Jimmy Williams are still there...who do we go with? Williams was rated by a lot of people as a top 20 pick.

Bretsky
Jimmy Williams would be nice pick for GB

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Man, if I were a Buffalo Bills fans I'd be really, really PISSED OFF. What a dumb draft. What the f___ is wrong with Marv Levy?

Old and senile...What is he 80??

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Top 5 remaining on my list: Winston Justice, Chad Jackson,Jimmy Williams, Lendale White, Nick Mangold. Not really mt list. Sporting News

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Now, here's an interesting question:

We all know TT drafts for value. IF, hypothetically, we get to our pick and Mangold, Justice, and Jimmy Williams are still there...who do we go with? Williams was rated by a lot of people as a top 20 pick.

JUSTICE AND WILLIAMS are falling due to character issues. I'd grab Williams; no view on Justice. Again we'd have to rotate positions and I'm not a big fan of that.

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2006, 03:38 PM

I think I remember one of ND72's posts regarding his scout buddy, who said GB's top 5 were Hawk, Mario Williams, Huff, Jimmy Williams and Ngata.

Scott Campbell
Top 5 remaining on my list: Winston Justice, Chad Jackson,Jimmy Williams, Lendale White, Nick Mangold. Not really mt list. Sporting News

I think the drug test news has really scared people away from White.

imscott72

Another CB?? Not sure what we'd do with him unless we plan on Woodson playing ALOT of offense which is possible. I'd rather grab Justice..He'd be a 2nd round steal imo...

Tarlam!
John McCargo???

I had him as a second even a third

So did the guys on my radio, they were like "Are you serious?"

Fritz
Oh my gosh what if Jimmy Williams is still there at #36? How can you not take the guy?

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 03:39 PM

Old and senile...What is he 80??

What do you expect from a guy that hired Dick Jauron?

Deputy Nutz
Jags take Marcedes Lewis.

OS PA
Hah, Bears lose their Tight-End =)

Rastak
Marcedes Lewis
TE, UCLA

War Room analysis
Hands: Is a solid receiver. Makes tough catches over the shoulder and in traffic. Has good concentration. Uses body well to shield defenders. Takes advantage of height on jump balls, particularly in the red zone. Grade: 8.1.

Patterns: Is adequate at getting separation off the line and can create enough space to get open down the seam. Runs routes well. Shows good burst in and out of his cuts. Grade: 7.9.

Run after catch: Turns upfield quickly to attack but doesn't run away from defenders. Runs on his heels and doesn't look natural. Grade: 7.6.

Release: Doesn't explode off the line. Struggles to release when pressed by bigger defenders. But when in motion or in open field, uses size, quickness and cutting ability to create separation. Grade: 7.6.

Blocking: Is solid in the open field. Takes good angles and hits moving targets at the linebacker level. Lacks bulk and lower-body strength, raising concerns about inline blocking. Grade: 7.7.

Bottom line: Lewis has nice size and a good build and would benefit from bulking up, but there are questions about his speed, attitude and work ethic. He still can be a good pro, but he shouldn't be drafted higher than early-to-mid second round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is huge, and has long arms. Catches passes nicely. Shows good athleticism and body control. Shows playmaking skills, and was productive in college. Is a good red-zone weapon and target over the middle. Lacks the speed to get open downfield, and lacks the quickness to create separation. Must improve average blocking skills. Has upside. Also played basketball in college.
No. 3 on Pompei's TE rankings

Scott Campbell
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 3:36 p.m.

By Dave Heller
A Packers smokescreen

In an ESPN.com Insider Q&A with members of Scouts Inc., Jeremy Green says the Packers executed a perfect smokescreen.

When asked if defense was the right choice for Green Bay, Green responded: "The Packers were able to pull of one of the best smokescreens of the draft. When Favre decided to return, the thought was that they would select Davis. The Packers stuck to their plan, though, and were able to upgrade the worst starting LB unit in the NFL. Hawk will now team with young MLB Nick Barnett and give Green Bay two athletic LBs that can run and hit. Hawk is a smart, steady player that will have an immediate impact. The Packers will play him on the weak side, cover him and let him run all over the field. Hawk was an excellent pick and because of the nature of his position, has the opportunity to have the biggest impact of any defender be selected all weekend."

CyclonePackFan

Another CB?? Not sure what we'd do with him unless we plan on Woodson playing ALOT of offense which is possible. I'd rather grab Justice..He'd be a 2nd round steal imo...

IMO, you can NEVER have enough good DB's, especially in today's NFL.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Wow Lewis? Another 2nd rounder drafted in the 1st..This is startin to look really good for us guys. Can you imagine if we scored another 2nd rounder for Walker? I wish Denver would pull the trigger on their 2nd..

Bretsky
Oh my gosh what if Jimmy Williams is still there at #36? How can you not take the guy?

He's too talented to let go by; maybe you fish for a trade down as well.

Rastak
You'd absolutely have to, although word is he's a turd.

Scott Campbell
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 3:34 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
The fallacy about Hawk
Tight end Vernon Davis might have a bigger upside than A.J. Hawk. Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young and D'Brickashaw Ferguson might be superior athletes.

But Hawk isn't just a high-motor, hard-nosed throwback as a linebacker. Any linebacker who stands 6-foot-1, weighs 243 pounds, runs a 4.59 or better 40-yard dash and jumps 40 inches is a special athlete.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Jimmy Williams, baby. Move Woodson to safety. Let Carroll and Williams fight it out. You can never have too much talent in the defensive backfield.

Or move down and get an extra third.

motife
04-29-2006, 03:41 PM
quote from Ted Thompson today :

I think most of you who cover us closely know that we have a little bit better defensive line than most people give us credit for. We don't have anybody splashy, but we have 8 guys in rotation who get the job done. They play well and they're coached well.

Earlier this season TT said :

Our Defensive line is not why we've only won 4 games. Those guys play their hearts out.

.....add A.J., Charles Woodson, Pickett and Maneul to the mix of a fairly solid group, and there may be some surprises. of course without the fiery Jim Bates.

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Jimmy Williams, baby. Move Woodson to safety. Let Carroll and Williams fight it out. You can never have too much talent in the defensive backfield.

Or move down and get an extra third.

Woodson doesn't wanna play safety. Thats why he didn't sign with Tampa.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:42 PM

By Cliff Christl
The fallacy about Hawk

But Hawk isn't just a high-motor, hard-nosed throwback as a linebacker. Any linebacker who stands 6-foot-1, weighs 243 pounds, runs a 4.59 or better 40-yard dash and jumps 40 inches is a special athlete.

The only guy I've ever seen who needed a 40 inch vertical leap was William Henderson when he jumps over linebackers and cornerbacks after he catches the ball.

Hey Scott - Your avatar is what a Buffalo Bills fan must look like right now!

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:43 PM
shit!!! Mangold gone...

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2006, 03:43 PM
Well, there goes Mangold...

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Nick Mangold
C, Ohio State

War Room analysis
Run blocking: Has good height and the frame to add bulk. Is tough and scrappy. Has a strong punch to knock back defenders. Is fast enough to pull and trap. Reaches linebackers and safeties quickly. Takes good angles to defenders. Sometimes struggles to hit moving targets. Grade: 8.0.

Pass blocking: Shows good body control and balance. Mirrors and slides well with pass rushers. Bends knees and plays with good leverage. Fights to sustain blocks. Is smart. Recognizes stunts and blitzes well and makes great line calls. Must add strengthen lower body to handle big nose tackles on the bull rush. Grade: 7.7.

Initial quickness: Shows quick burst after the snap and maintains good leverage. Gets set quickly in pass protection. Rarely gets beat by a quick defender. Grade: 8.1.

Strength: Has above-average upper-body strength and strong hands. Has the power to maintain separation. Needs to develop lower body and must learn to stay low. Grade: 7.8.

Mobility: Shows nice footwork and good speed. Shuffles well along the line. Consistently reaches linebackers. Must improve at changing directions. Grade: 7.9.

Bottom line: Mangold has great experience and plenty of upside. Bright, durable and a hard worker, his strong showing at the Senior Bowl and pre-draft workouts will get him selected in the late first round as the first center off the board.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is a scrappy, tough blocker who uses good technique. Gets low, plays with leverage. Plays smart. Can deal with power. Changes direction nicely. Shows strong hands, uses them well. Misses some blocks in the open field. Isn't a great athlete, but is good enough. Can play guard. No. 1 on Pompei's C rankings

imscott72

By Cliff Christl
The fallacy about Hawk

The only guy I've ever seen who needed a 40 inch vertical leap was William Henderson when he jumps over linebackers and cornerbacks after he catches the ball.

Hey Scott - Your avatar is what a Buffalo Bills fan must look like right now!

lol....

Deputy Nutz
Mangold is gone. Got fucking damn it.

Tarlam!
Well, I'm glad he's gone to NJ. I want Scottie to play Center...

CyclonePackFan
I knew there was no way he'd make it out of the 1st round.

imscott72
Are Jets fans ever happy? Man they boo everything. Sound like Philly fans..

motife
the Colts are up with the 30th pick. Mel Kiper better keep his mouth shut if he doesn't like it, or he'll get his ass kicked again.

25 ….. 29 ….. NYJ ….. Nick Mangold OC
35 ….. 28 ….. Jax ….. Marcedes Lewis TE
47 ….. ---- ….. ---- ….. Joseph Addai RB

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I think the Jets really wanted the Goper Chump or DeAngelo Williams. Without the drug test they may have went for Lendale White.

Speaking of, what if Lendale White is the best on the board ? I'd stay away.

OS PA
There goes our O-Line =(

Fritz
Mangold's gone.

I love ESPN showing center highlights. Hey, look! He's blocking a guy!

CyclonePackFan
Addai to the Colts, figured that one too..

Bretsky
Joseph Addai; I picked that this morning for Indy

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Addai goes to the Colts

The Lendale drop is on!

Rastak
I think the Jets really wanted the Goper Chump or DeAngelo Williams. Without the drug test they may have went for Lendale White.

Speaking of, what if Lendale White is the best on the board ? I'd stay away.Why didn;t they grab the Badger chump Bretski?

OS PA
Great pick, Joseph Addai! It's kind of funny to see Lendale White plummet.

This has been a pretty crazy draft from 10-32. I can't wait to watch the second 1st round =).

Bretsky
Crap, the RB's went fast. Calhoun and Lendale White are probably the next two to go.

Scott Campbell
Is it me, or does it seem like there aren't that many reaches so far in this draft?

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Joseph Addai
RB, LSU

War Room analysis
Inside running: Is a decisive runner who sees the hole and hits it with a burst. Is tough and will drop shoulder to deliver a blow. Runs low with awareness and vision. Lacks ideal size for short-yardage or goal-line situations but has the frame to add bulk. Can bounce off defenders at the second level and uses excellent footwork and body control to fall forward.

Outside running: Shows change-of-direction skills, locates the cutback lanes and gets outside. Is not elusive but can break open-field tackles. Has elite speed to be a home-run threat.

Blocking: Is a better blocker than size would indicate. Shows awareness in pass protection. Recognizes and picks up the blitz well. Shows good technique and gains leverage at the point of attack. Works hard to sustain blocks. Is not afraid to mix it up with defensive linemen.

Hands/routes: Is one of the better receivers in this running back class. Is a natural -- snatches passes at full speed, tucks the ball quickly and is dangerous after the catch. Runs precise routes, recognizes coverage and gets open quickly. Creates mismatches against linebackers, and is effective lining up from the slot.

Durability: Was a workhorse in '05 and showed little signs of wearing down even with a nagging ankle injury. Has had multiple knee injuries, including ACL surgery in '03, but was healthy the past two seasons. Must add bulk to carry a big load.

Bottom line: Addai is coming off an outstanding senior season that answered a lot of questions. He has speed and the frame to add bulk, and he is a tough runner with home run speed. His versatility -- aided by the many roles he played before becoming the feature back -- helped scouts see him as a complete back. He is an inside and outside threat, an outstanding receiver and a capable blocker who can contribute on special teams. If not for the top-heavy class of junior running backs, Addai might have been a late-Round 1 pick. As it stands, he figures to be drafted early-to-middle of the second round.

Dan Pompei analysis
Runs violently as a big, fast and physical back. Has burst through the hole. Follows blocks well. Makes sharp cuts. Can make defenders miss or run them over. Can catch the ball. Needs to improve technique in pass protection. Was part of a rotation in college, so scouts wonder if he can carry the ball 25 times a game and is subsequently underrated. Is a little stiff as a runner. Works hard and is tough.
No. 2 on Pompei's RB rankings

Bretsky

Speaking of, what if Lendale White is the best on the board ? I'd stay away.Why didn;t they grab the Badger chump Bretski?

There were no Badger chumps worth of being drafted this high.

Tarlam!
Could Winston Justice play Guard??

motife
04-29-2006, 03:48 PM
31 is Seattle. Denver was trying to trade for this pick to pass on to Green Bay to get Javon Walker.

47 ….. 30 ….. Ind ….. Joseph Addai RB

motife
04-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Chad Jackson was supposedly moving up everybody's draft boards.

Joemailman
Is it me, or does it seem like there aren't that many reaches so far in this draft?

Just Buffalo (Twice)

Bretsky
Could Winston Justice play Guard??

I really don't think he could in a zone blocking scheme. If Jimmy Williams and Chad Jackson are gone, the best players left for GB could actually be other LB's. Still a lot of good LB prospects out there, and remember we really only have two quality starters and Ben Taylor, who was not wanted by many in FA.

Bossman641
What if Chad Jackson is still there? Walker or no Walker, I really want this guy.

I sorta want TT to trade down though. Abdul Hodge in the mid 2nd would be nice.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 03:50 PM
So we could see in the next 10 minutes

Seattle - Denver - GB

GB picks 31 and 36?

Pull on Chad jackson at 31 and Jimmy Williams at 36? Wow

1st - AJ Hawk
1st - Chad Jackson
2nd - Jimmy Williams

1st rated Linebacker, Wide-reciever, and Jimmy Williams(By some)

Scott Campbell
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 3:43 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
Will this defense strike fear in anyone?

Here's how the Green Bay Packers' defense is shaping up on paper:

LE -- Aaron Kampman
DT -- Cullen Jenkins
DT -- Ryan Pickett
RE -- Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila
SLB -- Roy Manning
MLB -- Nick Barnett
WLB -- A.J. Hawk
LCB -- Charles Woodson
RCB -- Al Harris
SS -- Marquand Manuel
FS -- Nick Collins

Doesn't strike me that this group will make anyone forget the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens or the '02 Buccaneers. In fact, if Hawk doesn't become a Pro Bowl player as a rookie, I don't see another candidate on the list.

mngolf19
Jets are having a nice draft so far. D'brick and Mangold. Now they take a QB and they will be pretty potent on O again.

Bretsky
What if Chad Jackson is still there? Walker or no Walker, I really want this guy.

With the guys coming off the board the past 10 picks I'd like to see a trade down and then another LB drafted in round 2 unless they like Chad Jackson or Jimmy Williams with his character risk.

outflow
04-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Winston Justice doesn't fit the "Packer People" criteria.

Tarlam!
04-29-2006, 03:52 PM

I predicted TT would go LB LB.

I heard Chad J is vastly overrated and only in round 1 as a projection cause there is a lack of WR.

Bretsky
Winston Justice doesn't fit the "Packer People" criteria.

Honestly Jimmy Williams probably doesn't either

motife
Most of Green Bay's quality guards of recent years were drafted as tackles.

Ron Hallstrom, Iowa
Aaron Taylor, Notre Dame
Ross Verba, Iowa

all #1's.

Mike Wahle, Navy (2nd pick supplemental)

Fritz
Jeez, Uncle Cliffy could find something wrong with a Playboy playmate sitting naked in his hot tub...

imscott72
04-29-2006, 03:53 PM

its a stacked draft, thats for sure...We're gonna score a very solid player with our next pick...

motife
Hope Ted doesn't try to pass in a card on Seattle, forgetting that's not his team anymore.

Scott Campbell
Jeez, Uncle Cliffy could find something wrong with a Playboy playmate sitting naked in his hot tub...

So would B. He'd complain that there was only one.

Fritz
I like the trade down idea. Then grab Abdul Hodge.

I also would like to see the JWalk trade announced soon. We could use a second rounder plus a third next year, or a fourth this year.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:54 PM
1st round graded players that are left

Chad Jackson, WR
Leonard Pope, TE
Winston Justice, OT
Marcus McNeill, OT
Eric Winston, OT
Gabe Watson, DT
Demeco Ryans, OLB
Jimmy Williams, DB
Ashton Youboty, CB
Daniel Bullocks, S

motife
I suppose Mike Holmgren is too important to work the phones at the draft desk. Georgia Frontiere did it for the Rams. Only way to keep her out of the war room, probably.

Tarlam!

BOMNF!

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm at work...This sucks...

I think Richard Marshall is a really good player. If he slips to us that is going to suck because we have 4 good CB's and no room.

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:56 PM
I like the trade down idea. Then grab Abdul Hodge.

I also would like to see the JWalk trade announced soon. We could use a second rounder plus a third next year, or a fourth this year.Nooooooooo, I'm looking for the Vikes to grab him Fritz.....

RashanGary
04-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Ryans is a really good player. I think he's a possibility.

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Don't be suprised to see Daryn Colledge come off the board at 36.

Fritz
04-29-2006, 03:58 PM
"The Green Bay Packer have traded the 36th pick of the second round, plus one kilo of cocaine, to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for Buffalo's third, fourth, and fifth round picks this year and next year's first round pick.

With the pick, the Buffalo Bills select LenDale White."

OS PA
04-29-2006, 03:58 PM
whoah.

Rastak
04-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Ryans is a really good player. I think he's a possibility.

Yes, I would hate that (as you suspected early on for me being a Vike fan), I like Ryans.

Deputy Nutz
Now there has been a hurricanne taked for the last dozen years.

imscott72
Seabags take Jennings?? Over Williams?? HMMMMMM

motife
Steelers are up.

32 ….. 31 ….. Sea ….. Kelly Jennings CB

Rastak
[Kelly Jennings
CB, Miami (FL)

War Room analysis
Strengths: Has good size, above-average speed and long arms. Is a true natural athlete and coverage man. Sees the entire field, and easily recognizes routes. Wins jump balls, and knocks down passes. Backpedals smoothly, and shows a good burst forward to the ball. Easily turns and runs with receivers. Has decent recovery speed. Is a good open-field tackler who breaks down and wraps up the ball carrier.

Weaknesses: Must get bigger and stronger. Will struggle to shed run blockers. Must improve technique in press coverage and become more physical.

Bottom line: Despite a good senior season, Jennings has yet to fulfill his potential. He is a finesse player and works best in man-to-man coverage. His speed, character and playmaking ability will impress NFL coaches in pre-draft workouts. He has the right size and speed to be an NFL starter, but he must get stronger and more aggressive. Expect Jennings to be a mid- to late-Day 1 pick.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is thin, but can do it all. Shows good coverage skills, especially playing man-to-man. Can play off-coverage or bump-and-run. Is quick and fast. Is consistent. Tracks the ball nicely, and goes after it. Plays bigger than size would indicate in run support. Isn't physical. Is comparable to the Ravens' Samari Rolle.
No. 6 on Pompei's CB rankings

Tarlam!
04-29-2006, 04:00 PM
What's the knock on Jimmy Williams??

Rastak
04-29-2006, 04:00 PM
What's the knock on Jimmy Williams??Word is he's an asshole.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Holy cow

Cmon Chad!!!

Deputy Nutz
Giants take Mathias Kiwanuka DE from Boston College

CyclonePackFan
THANK YOU GOD, KIWANUKA IS GONE

I was afraid we'd take him.

Rastak
Mathias Kiwanuka
DE, Boston College

War Room analysis
Against the run: Is deceptively strong; can contain outside runs. Is tall, and plays too upright and allows offensive linemen to get under pads. Can be driven off the ball. Makes many plays in pursuit because of nonstop hustle and great closing speed. Grade: 8.1.

Pass rush: Has all the tools to be a standout pass rusher. Shows great straight-ahead speed and a long reach to create separation. Uses hands well to prevent offensive tackles from getting into his body. Sets up opponents well with a variety of moves. Wins battles outside and inside. Sometimes is a bit timid. Grade: 8.4.

Initial quickness: Doesn't get the ideal jump off the ball, but makes up ground quickly with long strides. Must work on staying lower coming out of stance, which would improve first step. Grade: 8.0.

Run/pass recognition: Shows great instincts; is adept at reading offensive linemen before the snap. Is intelligent; spends much time breaking down film. Has a good feel for the position. Transitions quickly to rush mode once he reads pass. Grade: 8.5.

Pursuit/tackling: Uses long strides to chase down the ball. Is a powerful tackler who can cause fumbles. Never can be counted out of plays; has history of making downfield tackles from behind. Grade: 8.5.

Bottom line: Kiwanuka has all the physical attributes needed to thrive in the NFL. Despite having a tough Senior Bowl week, he has the potential to make an immediate impact in the NFL. He projects as a mid-Round 1 pick.

Dan Pompei analysis
Has an ideal build for pass rushing. Wingspan is huge. Has a slithery style befitting of a basketball player, which he used to be. Is athletic and can run. Has some burst. Can use his hands some. Plays upright. Lacks instincts. Doesn't get good leverage and struggles against the run. Probably isn't sudden enough to play as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. Lacks ideal foot quickness. Needs technique work. Gets locked on to blockers. Body control and agility are just OK. Can develop.
No. 5 on Pompei's DE rankings

imscott72
04-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Giants take Mathias Kiwanuka. another 2nd rounder?? Interesting picks here. A lot of these guys are going higher than expected. Good for us...

outflow
04-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Ha Ha. A Giants fan slapping a Jets fan. Ha Ha

Joemailman
04-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Who's gonna tick me off by taking Chad Jackson?

RashanGary
What happened to the Bears pick?

Bretsky

LMAO; PLAYMATES COME IN PAIRS IN B'S WORLD

OS PA
DeMeco Ryans - 33

CyclonePackFan
Texans take DeMeco Ryans.

Rastak
Sure are a lot of African players..

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Giants take Mathias Kiwanuka. another 2nd rounder?? Interesting picks here. A lot of these guys are going higher than expected. Good for us...

This is the place where draft boards really start to look a lot different from one another.

outflow
How much time between 2nd Round picks?

OS PA
Saints take a Tackle with their 2nd pick. Either Eric Winston or Winston Justice

imscott72
Houston picks Ryans..As our pick approaches what do you guys think??? Justice?? Williams??

Rastak
Texans take DeMeco Ryans.

good pick...

DeMeco Ryans
OLB, Alabama

War Room analysis
Against the inside run: Lacks ideal size and bulk to hold ground at the point of attack but makes up for it with great technique, instincts and quickness. Plays with good leverage and uses hands well to shed blockers. Must get stronger and bulkier. Grade: 7.9.

Against the outside run: Shows good quickness. Moves well laterally along the line of scrimmage. Uses hands and good body control to fight through traffic. Takes good angles to the ball. Breaks down, doesn't over-pursue and is a reliable open-field tackler. Grade: 8.5.

Blitz/coverage:: Shows good quickness, instincts and relentlessness on blitzes. Shows a closing burst to the quarterback. Has experience as a pass rusher with more than one move. Is quick enough to cover tight ends and running backs near the line of scrimmage and on underneath zones. Can turn and run with them, but lacks the speed to play man-to-man downfield. Grade: 8.0.

Run/pass recognition: Shows outstanding instincts and recognition skills. Rarely takes false steps or gets caught out of position. Shows good discipline and fundamentals, and doesn't miss an assignment. Grade: 8.0.

Pursuit/tackling: Compensates for lack of elite speed with a nose for the ball. Always gets in position to make tackles. Explodes through tackles but wraps up and plays under control. Rarely misses tackles. Grade: 8.2.

Bottom line: Ryans is a good, not elite, athlete, but he is an elite football player who always is around the ball. A four-time Academic All-SEC player, he works hard on and off the field with impeccable character. He is versatile, having played everywhere at linebacker and some as a pass-rushing end. He might be best suited for inside as a downhill defender attacking the line of scrimmage. Ryans will contribute nicely as a rookie and should be selected in mid-to-late Round 1.

Dan Pompei analysis
Smooth athlete shows good body control and agility. Runs around plays, so he needs to be in the right scheme. Plays aggressively and intensely. Is rangy. Offers leadership and good intangibles. Is adept at blitzing, but isn't a very physical tackler. Tends to miss tackles. Sometimes gets bounced around by blockers. Instincts are average. Didn't stand out in workouts.
No. 7 on Pompei's OLB rankings

Bretsky
What's the knock on Jimmy Williams??

Not a good person; hard to coach. Remember Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas; he sounds like a mix.

CyclonePackFan
At this point I'd like to thank Paul Tagliabue for all the wonderful work he's done in his years as commish of the NFL. It's gonna be weird seeing someone else do this job next year.

Tarlam!

They traded with Buffalo...

motife
04-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Don't ever tell Bob McGinn or Cliff Christl they're "too negative". I think Cliff is, but McGinn just passes on opinions he's gathered from his contacts in the NFL, and a lot of them are GM's. I really appreciate Bob's articles.

Did anyone hear about the fight between Chris Havel of the Press Gazette and Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk? Florio HATES Favre, and every time he ran a picture of Favre, he'd have a busty Green Bay cheerleader in the background with Chris Havel's face superimposed on her body. He thought Havel was a butt kisser for Favre.

Havel sent a physically threatening letter to Florio to stop it. Florio attended one of Cliff Christl's online chats and complained about it, saying the Green Bay press writers were bush league.

Bretsky
Crap; Demeco Ryans snatched by Dirty Texans

imscott72

Bears trades their picl to the Bills. Not sure what they got in return..

MateoInMex
Lawrence Maroney

LenDale White

or an o-line man?

Fritz
Trade that pick, Teddy. You know Buffalo wants to trade up to grab LenDale White.

Joemailman
I can't imagine Justice getting past New Orleans.

Anti-Polar Bear
If the WR Jackson is there when Pack pick again, draft him, even though Thompson wont admit he fucked up with the Murphy pick last year.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 04:06 PM
I think our pick is Chad Jackson.

Rastak
04-29-2006, 04:06 PM
On an unrelated note I picked up tickets for Tom Petty and Pearl Jam this morning for their Saint Paul concert...should be fun.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Lawrence Maroney

LenDale White

or an o-line man?

Maroney is long gone. TT might be best off trading down. But Chad Jackson would not surprise me at all

CyclonePackFan

Bills get: 25th pick in 2006 draft (selected DT John McGargo).
Bears get: 10th pick in 2nd round (42nd overall) and 9th pick in 3rd round (73rd overall)

MateoInMex

They got the chance to laugh their balls off at Marv Levy selecting John McCargo while gaining picks in the process.

Is McCargo the player that will finally allow the Bills to win a Superbowl?

Actually, I don't know what they got in return...probably some draft picks this year.

Rastak
Lawrence Maroney

LenDale White

or an o-line man?maroney went to New England

Bretsky

I agree, and hope you are right.

motife
New Orleans, the Jets, then the Packers. Unless the Saints give us their pick and Donte Stallworth for Javon Walker.

32 ….. 31 ….. Sea ….. Kelly Jennings CB
33 ….. 32 ….. NYG ….. Mathias Kiwanuka DE
42 ….. 33 ….. Hou ….. DeMeco Ryans OLB

Scott Campbell
04-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Could we draft Max Jean-Gilles OG?

CyclonePackFan
Three picks from the Big XII and 12 from the ACC?

Can't say that doesn't make me feel like shit...getting bested by far by one of the shittiest conferences in the NCAA.

OS PA
Browns are looking offense?

Rastak
04-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Could be....I see Browns traded up .....

MateoInMex
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I missed the Patriots pick.

imscott72

You dont like Justice B?? I wouldn't be opposed to trading down either..

Tarlam!

They'll go WR.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 04:11 PM
I missed the Patriots pick.

Laurence Maroney

pacfan
nice piece of Tags, he has done good work for the NFL.

outflow

This could happen. I would feel good about it too.

CyclonePackFan
Could be....I see Browns traded up .....

Jean-Gilles has a major league weight problem, and the zone blocking scheme prefers smaller OG's. He'll probably still be there in the 3rd round.

Bretsky
04-29-2006, 04:12 PM

You dont like Justice B?? I wouldn't be opposed to trading down either..

He's an OT with character issues; I'd rather see a talented OG like Chester in round 3. Chad Jackson and Jimmy Williams jump put as the two most talented players.

Then the idea of trading out jumps out to consider as well

Rastak
Espn on the Vikes and Pack picks

5. Green Bay Packers
The pick: A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
Scouts take: We thought Green Bay would take Vernon Davis, because he is such an explosive weapon, the team has questions at receiver and, perhaps most importantly, it would put a smile on Brett Favre's face. Nevertheless, this is a great pick. Outside linebacker is among the Packers' most pressing needs, and Hawk is the best on the board. There are some questions about his hip fluidity and man-to-man cover skills, but he makes plays all over the field. He has excellent instincts, great range and is a reliable open-field tackler who is relentless in pursuit. With Hawk lining up on the weak side, the play of the Packers' linebacker corps should vastly improve this year.

17. Minnesota Vikings
The pick: Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa
Scouts take: Napoleon Harris has been nothing short of an utter disappointment, and Dontarrius Thomas has been inconsistent at best, so the Vikings clearly needed a weak-side linebacker and are fortunate Greenway fell to them here. Greenway doesn't have great size, and there is some concern about his ability to hold ground when teams run at him, but he reads his keys quickly and has good quickness, so he frequently beats blockers to the point of attack. He's also a relentless worker who has good range and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play.

Scott Campbell
SATURDAY, April 29, 2006, 4:07 p.m.

By Cliff Christl
The Packers & the second round

Heading into the second round, two of the biggest names left on the board who would fill needs for the Green Bay Packers are wide receiver Chad Jackson and running back LenDale White. There's also some corners left -- notably Jimmy Williams -- and teams are always looking for corners.

But if general manager Ted Thompson doesn't have his heart set on a particular player, this might be the time for him to pick up an extra pick by trading down. Then again, it takes two to cut a deal and there has to be an offer there.

OS PA
D'Qwell Jackson - Cleveland Browns

CyclonePackFan
04-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Cleveland takes D'Quell Jackson

Bretsky
Those stupid Peckerheaded Browns; I liked DQuell Jackson as a MLB

Scott Campbell
Jeff Faine got traded to the Saints as part of the swap.

Fosco33
04-29-2006, 04:14 PM
DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT?

Yes!

We'll see soon enough.

OS PA
04-29-2006, 04:15 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see who Teddy picks here. We still have holes along our O-Line and at Wide Reciever, and both have viable options at this spot.

WR - Chad Jackson, Sinorice Moss

or

O-Line - Charles Spencer

???

Make us proud teddy!

Rastak
04-29-2006, 04:16 PM
D'Qwell Jackson
ILB, Maryland

War Room analysis
Against inside run: Very productive and physical at the point of attack but lacks the base and lower-body strength to take on blockers. Plays too upright when filling gaps. Grade: 7.7

Against outside run: Excels at changing directions and works well sideline to sideline. Doesn't take false steps and takes great angles. Grade: 8.2

Blitz/coverage: Is smooth in pass coverage as a natural playmaker. Gets a good jump off the line; is better against the run, however, and is not a burner. Grade: 7.7

Run/pass recognition: Plays with good instincts, like a coach on the field. Reads keys quickly; rarely takes a false step. Is always in position. Grade: 8.2

Pursuit/tackling: Takes good angles and is quick with good closing speed, but lacks elite speed. Displays good pop. Can make physical and aggressive open-field tackles and force fumbles. Grade: 8.1

Bottom line: Jackson steadily improved his game in college. He is undersized and must strengthen his lower body, but he is enough of a physical playmaker to start in the NFL. He might fit best as a weakside linebacker on a team that runs the \u201cTampa 2\u201d scheme, which emphasizes athleticism over size. He has an early second-round grade, but an unimpressive workout session leaves him as an early third-round selection.

Dan Pompei analysis
Was very productive in college. Always is around the ball. Is a tackling machine, solid although not very explosive. Has a nose for the ball. Takes good angles. Hustler never gives up on plays. Has a knack for getting through traffic. Doesn't get caught out of position. Has a good feel for how to blitz. Can drop back in coverage, but doesn't have elite speed. Is a better player than athlete. Works hard and leads on the field. Can also play the weak side. Lacks ideal height.
No. 2 on Pompei's ILB rankings