PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL BRETT THE LIVING LEGEND THREAD

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Bretsky
03-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Leno show was kind of funny when Favre was on; love his old age commercial and good to see when one can make fun of himself.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Worst posse ever.

MJZiggy
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Good chance Favre tries to use some humor and many in here rail on him for any comments he makes

Probably. And there's also a good chance that Favre says something boorish again and many on here will continue offering up excuses.

I haven't seen the excuse makers around much lately so I'm not sure where the "many" would come from.

It'll be better soon when there is an ignore feature.

But the people I'd want to ignore aren't around anymore...

Perhaps the tone in here has flushed them and others away; perhaps that makes some more happy as well.

No, the people I'd ignore got banned.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Worst posse ever.
Explain, please.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Worst posse ever.
Explain, please.

You don't see Allen Iverson's entourage including his mother in law and his priest.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I like how Bert said in "retrospect" he should have ran it. But then he had to throw in the excuse about his boo boos. The boo boos sure didn't seem to prevent him from rolling out.

Retrospect my ass. Everybody knew he should have run it, and you don't need the benefit of slow motion replay to figure out that you don't huck the ball carelessly up for grabs across the field.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Worst posse ever.
Explain, please.

You don't see Allen Iverson's entourage including his mother in law and his priest.
He's got an image to maintain. Too tired, old and hen pecked to go to training camp.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Worst posse ever.
Explain, please.

He's got an image to maintain. Too tired, old and hen pecked to go to training camp.

Maybe he'll be in confession through most of August.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Worst posse ever.
Explain, please.

I think that Brent's an outside-the-box kinda guy. He's just expanding our thinking about what an entourage really is. I'm liking it.

I'd like to see him bring a rabbi next time, and maybe a midget, too. That'd be awesome.

RashanGary
03-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Bert is a master manipulator. He's got charisma, I'll give him that.

He's a liar and reinforced his diva image. No amount of charisma changes that. You can't fix sketchy, you can only hope to avoid it.

Fritz
03-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Now that Taylor's gone, who is Brent campaigning for the Vikes to sign?

PS - It's Oscar night. Heard that Brent has been nominated for Best Actor! He acts retired...then bam!

woodbuck27
03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Funny what amuses some people. ie Where and what Brett Favre is doing or up to.

I predict that next season he's up to trying to move the Vikings up a step to the Super Bowl. He had too good a season to just hang em now and go out on a pick after seeming to correct that problem in 2009.

He'll be back.

ThunderDan
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM

I predict that next season he's up to trying to move the Vikings up a step to the Super Bowl. He had too good a season to just hang em now and go out on a pick after seeming to correct that problem in 2009.

He'll be back.

Funny, that is exactly what I thought after the Giants game in 2008 except for the Packers.

Scott Campbell
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Or which color jersey he is heaving it up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smhiIIekc8g&feature=player_embedded

I can't imagine how he could possibly top the colossal choke job that ended their season last year, but I'd love to watch him try.

Scott Campbell
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
He had too good a season to just hang em now and go out on a pick after seeming to correct that problem in 2009.

And there's the operative word. :lol:

Merlin
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM

I can't imagine how he could possibly top the colossal choke job that ended their season last year, but I'd love to watch him try.

Choke Job? I would say the "choke" were the fumbles and the poor game management that caused them to have too many in the huddle to begin with. The interception was a poor decision but it wasn't what cost them the game by a long shot which to me is the definition of "choke".

If it weren't for a Rodgers interception and fumble, the Cardinals don't score the first, and last points of the game - and according to your logic that isn't a choke job? Forget the fact the defense couldn't stop anything.

Packerarcher
03-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Merlin,you have to remember that SC only sees things the way he wants to. He will be anti Brett no matter what,don't let his post's get you worked up. He is deffinately not worth it.

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Merlin,you have to remember that SC only sees things the way he wants to.

And that clip was exactly the way I wanted to see it.

Thanks Bert!

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
This is not Detroit man, this is the Superbowl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNP7oPzXmMY

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 02:47 PM
With hilarious fan reactions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoJ_K4Mlt4w

His HOF induction will be a lot more tolerable with this clip playing over, and over, and over.

hoosier
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
This one is amusing: "Thanks for renting Brett Favre to us. You can have him!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjlbP8PCX-o&feature=related

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 03:20 PM
He will be anti Brett no matter what.......

And what did you think of his last throw? Pretty good stuff - huh? The ole gunslinger! :lol:

ThunderDan
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Merlin,you have to remember that SC only sees things the way he wants to. He will be anti Brett no matter what,don't let his post's get you worked up. He is deffinately not worth it.

Considering that BF is the QB of our most hated rival (at this point in time) Minnesota Vikings, I would hope that all self-respecting Packer fans would be anti-BF at this moment.

MJZiggy
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Considering that BF is the QB of our most hated rival (at this point in time) Minnesota Vikings, I would hope that all self-respecting Packer fans would be anti-BF at this moment.

He might be--or he might not. Or he might. But that's not our problem...

channtheman
03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

Choke Job? I would say the "choke" were the fumbles and the poor game management that caused them to have too many in the huddle to begin with. The interception was a poor decision but it wasn't what cost them the game by a long shot which to me is the definition of "choke".

If it weren't for a Rodgers interception and fumble, the Cardinals don't score the first, and last points of the game - and according to your logic that isn't a choke job? Forget the fact the defense couldn't stop anything.

I was wondering who would "bite" first! :lol:

channtheman
03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Now that Taylor's gone, who is Brent campaigning for the Vikes to sign?

PS - It's Oscar night. Heard that Brent has been nominated for Best Actor! He acts retired...then bam!

How bad did Favre want Taylor back? I really don't want to see Favre go crying back to Greta and talk about how he should have GM duties for the Vikings... actually, yeah I do wan to see that.

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I was wondering who would "bite" first! :lol:

Watching those clips seems to take the wind right out of their sails.

Joemailman
03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Word is Favre was trying to convince LT to sign with Minnesota. http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/59494/report-favre-worked-to-recruit-tomlinson

Funny he would do that if he hasn't decided if he's coming back. Just in case, I guess. :lol:

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Word is Favre was trying to convince LT to sign with Minnesota. http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/59494/report-favre-worked-to-recruit-tomlinson

Funny he would do that if he hasn't decided if he's coming back. Just in case, I guess. :lol:

Or maybe that $250K he screwed Tannenbaum and the Jets out of wasn't enough vengeance for him.

packerbacker1234
03-15-2010, 11:37 PM

Of course, that comment came after the question of why the vikings were even throwing the ball to begin with - meaning the comment was directed at the coaching decision, not Favre. The earlier comment of why favre didn't run with it was directed at #4, that comment was directed at the coaching staff.

The choke job really fell on the coaches. They were within the kickers wheelhouse and they get a 12 man in the huddle penalty? Then on the next play when they are just barely outside his range where it is indeed worth taking a FG shot still, they decide to throw it where a beat up favre that can barely move at this point is could either A. Be sacked, B. Throw a pick, C. Throw it away and be teh same as if you were before. The correct coaching call would of been a run, and I think the reason they avoided it was the 4 fumbles.

Coaches choked. Say favre throws the ball away: Chances are the FG is missed anyways. Longwell said it was out of his range. Coaches choked, not favre. Favre was just trying to make something happen because his team, according to the kicker, was out of range.

WHY WERE THEY OUT OF RANGE? Oh yeah, the coaches. Nevermind the 4 fumbles that took points off the board.

Pugger
03-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Come on, 1234. You seriously believe Farve didn't choke in that conference championship game?? :shock: Yes, he wasn't the only one who screwed up in that game but if you think that horrid late throw over the middle of the field in the closing moments of regulation isn't choking, you are kidding yourself big time. :roll:

TennesseePackerBacker
03-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Of course, that comment came after the question of why the vikings were even throwing the ball to begin with - meaning the comment was directed at the coaching decision, not Favre. The earlier comment of why favre didn't run with it was directed at #4, that comment was directed at the coaching staff.

The choke job really fell on the coaches. They were within the kickers wheelhouse and they get a 12 man in the huddle penalty? Then on the next play when they are just barely outside his range where it is indeed worth taking a FG shot still, they decide to throw it where a beat up favre that can barely move at this point is could either A. Be sacked, B. Throw a pick, C. Throw it away and be teh same as if you were before. The correct coaching call would of been a run, and I think the reason they avoided it was the 4 fumbles.

Coaches choked. Say favre throws the ball away: Chances are the FG is missed anyways. Longwell said it was out of his range. Coaches choked, not favre. Favre was just trying to make something happen because his team, according to the kicker, was out of range.

WHY WERE THEY OUT OF RANGE? Oh yeah, the coaches. Nevermind the 4 fumbles that took points off the board.

you should just have Joe change your name to brettfavrefan4life if it isn't already taken

LP
03-16-2010, 02:43 AM

Or you could just say the reciever ran the wrong route. However you want to excuse it is fine.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 07:59 AM

You thought it was directed at somebody????

I thought his uncontrolled wailing just sort of slipped out because he was distraught - over Bert inexplicably choking their season away.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 08:48 AM
It looks like there's an entire cottage industry devoted to Favre's choking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Iw2YejS9A&feature=player_embedded

Deanna's reaction is priceless.

packerbacker1234
03-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Come on, 1234. You seriously believe Favre didn't choke in that conference championship game?? :shock: Yes, he wasn't the only one who screwed up in that game but if you think that horrid late throw over the middle of the field in the closing moments of regulation isn't choking, you are kidding yourself big time. :roll:

Eh, it's not really that big of a choke job, it just 'felt' like vindication for us as packer fans. Vikings admitted they were out of scoring range... and with it being the final seconds of regulation... it's hard to call it a choke job when they admit they weren't in position to score after the penalty.

This isn't a pick in OT of the playoffs in 2007 that put the other team in FG range to win the game. This is a AR fumble in OT of the arizona game that was took back for 6 to cause the packers to lose. This is a pick at the end of regulation out of scoring range to begin with, according to teh coaches (hence why they were throwing).

I mean, whats the choke? His clock was ticking, and he saw a WR and let it fly... he's completed that pass many times, and I think he even compelted that same sort of pass earlier in the same game. The reason you don't teach that throw is that guy that picked it off is a defender that the QB cannot see in it's vision... hence why you don't throw the ball. But this is favre, he saw him open and threw it. All angles from his vantage point show that the WR, from the QB's angle, looked wide open.

In either case, I am not defending the throw itself - he shouldn't of made it, he could of jsut ran forward 3 or 4 yards and took a dive. He could of just threw it away. It was a bad decision. But a choke job? They weren't in scoring range as it was, so meh. It would be different if they were on the 30 and he did that, but he did it out of scoring range, and OT came around where the saints marched right down the field.

2007 OT is a choke by favre. 2009 AR not protecting the ball in OT is a bit of a choke job (not as bad as a pick, but you have to feel that pressure)... though I would argue AR missing a WIDE OPEN Greg Jennings streaking down the middle of the field in OT is a massive choke job. Forget the penalty no call... or the fumble... AR had the win in his hands and he misfired.

2009 Favre throwing a pick is a tad bit of choking, but it wasn't really the reason the vikings lost the game. Say favre throws it away and longwell kicks the FG short, like he thought he would... it's the same end result. It's different if were talking a turnover in the redzone with the game on the line (he has had plenty of those moments). Were basing this choke job on the small possibility that longwell makes a kick he said was out of his range. In my mind, if he threw it away, they still are heading to OT. The coaching staff thought that which is why they were throwing, and Favre thought that too... or so you would think he did. Should he of ran? Sure, but favre rarely runs the ball (big advantage of having a young QB as good as rodgers... he will run it) and was beat up.

In short, bad throw, but I only call it a true choke job if you take the throw back and win the game. Make the throw an incompletion and you win the game. I can't say that for the vikings.

ThunderDan
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Come on, 1234. You seriously believe Favre didn't choke in that conference championship game?? :shock: Yes, he wasn't the only one who screwed up in that game but if you think that horrid late throw over the middle of the field in the closing moments of regulation isn't choking, you are kidding yourself big time. :roll:

Eh, it's not really that big of a choke job, it just 'felt' like vindication for us as packer fans. Vikings admitted they were out of scoring range... and with it being the final seconds of regulation... it's hard to call it a choke job when they admit they weren't in position to score after the penalty.

This isn't a pick in OT of the playoffs in 2007 that put the other team in FG range to win the game. This is a AR fumble in OT of the arizona game that was took back for 6 to cause the packers to lose. This is a pick at the end of regulation out of scoring range to begin with, according to teh coaches (hence why they were throwing).

I mean, whats the choke? His clock was ticking, and he saw a WR and let it fly... he's completed that pass many times, and I think he even compelted that same sort of pass earlier in the same game. The reason you don't teach that throw is that guy that picked it off is a defender that the QB cannot see in it's vision... hence why you don't throw the ball. But this is favre, he saw him open and threw it. All angles from his vantage point show that the WR, from the QB's angle, looked wide open.

In either case, I am not defending the throw itself - he shouldn't of made it, he could of jsut ran forward 3 or 4 yards and took a dive. He could of just threw it away. It was a bad decision. But a choke job? They weren't in scoring range as it was, so meh. It would be different if they were on the 30 and he did that, but he did it out of scoring range, and OT came around where the saints marched right down the field.

2007 OT is a choke by favre. 2009 AR not protecting the ball in OT is a bit of a choke job (not as bad as a pick, but you have to feel that pressure)... though I would argue AR missing a WIDE OPEN Greg Jennings streaking down the middle of the field in OT is a massive choke job. Forget the penalty no call... or the fumble... AR had the win in his hands and he misfired.

2009 Favre throwing a pick is a tad bit of choking, but it wasn't really the reason the vikings lost the game. Say favre throws it away and longwell kicks the FG short, like he thought he would... it's the same end result. It's different if were talking a turnover in the redzone with the game on the line (he has had plenty of those moments). Were basing this choke job on the small possibility that longwell makes a kick he said was out of his range. In my mind, if he threw it away, they still are heading to OT. The coaching staff thought that which is why they were throwing, and Favre thought that too... or so you would think he did. Should he of ran? Sure, but favre rarely runs the ball (big advantage of having a young QB as good as rodgers... he will run it) and was beat up.

In short, bad throw, but I only call it a true choke job if you take the throw back and win the game. Make the throw an incompletion and you win the game. I can't say that for the vikings.

I'll keep this simple.

An 18 year NFL veteran QB (who has the most wins, TD, yards and interceptions ever) knows you do not throw a ball across the middle against the grain late in a play. That is beat into your head since high school.

BF choked. ARod got bum-rushed. ARod had a chance to win the ARI game and didn't. That he brought them back in the 2nd half speaks volumes about our future. This was Arod's first playoff experience (not his 20th+ playoff game), he started out rough but got his composure back.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I mean, whats the choke? His clock was ticking, and he saw a WR and let it fly...

Looks like you answered your own question.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 10:36 AM
I'll keep this simple.

An 18 year NFL veteran QB (who has the most wins, TD, yards and interceptions ever) knows you do not throw a ball across the middle against the grain late in a play. That is beat into your head since high school.

BF choked. ARod got bum-rushed. ARod had a chance to win the ARI game and didn't. That he brought them back in the 2nd half speaks volumes about our future. This was Arod's first playoff experience (not his 20th+ playoff game), he started out rough but got his composure back.

I think any ARod discussion belongs in it's own thread - away from all this sordid talk of treason, backstabbing and yes - choking. IMO

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
2009 Favre throwing a pick is a tad bit of choking.................

Progress.

packerbacker1234
03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I mean, whats the choke? His clock was ticking, and he saw a WR and let it fly...

Like I said, it was a bad decision, but take the throw back and the end result is most likely the same.

Take AR's fumble back adn the result could be completely different. Take Favres 2007 int back and the result most likely is completely different. Take his int back in that game and the end result is still the most likely result.

I guess, I am not saying it's not a choke, it just doesn't bother me as much as where if it "didn't" happen things would of been different.

Chances are after that penalty on the vikes... unless favre made something happen for a 5 yard pass or so, that it was going to OT anyways.

You know what keeps making me sick? Watching that overthrow AR did in OT. I... can barely watch. Oh well, he's young... first time in the playoffs. He will hit that throw next season.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
In 10 years I expect it will still be the single most talked about play of his career - a defining moment.

If you don't believe me, just google Bill Buckner's image. Here's the first one that comes up:

http://themixtapemonster.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bucknerbw1xl.jpg

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I wonder if all of Bert's baggage played any role in LT choosing not to sign with the Vikings.

pbmax
03-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Oy.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/ept_sports_mlb_experts-404204432-12.jpg

from Yahoo! Big League Stew (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Desert-Drive-A-delicious-introduction-to-the-Ca?urn=mlb,228221) via football outsiders

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Like I said, it was a bad decision, but take the throw back and the end result is most likely the same.

If he takes just 3 more steps and hookslides, I give Longwell a 70% shot at making that kick.

Scott Campbell
03-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Imagine the Red Sea parting and Charlton Heston inexplicably throwing the ball Yul Brynner. And then Edward G. Robinson yelling - This is not Detroit, man, this is the Promised Land!

Bottom line - Moses is not a choker.

channtheman
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
If Rodgers doesn't fumble, it's 4th down and we punt. We don't stop them like we literally haven't all game and they still win.

Zool
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
If Rodgers doesn't fumble, it's 4th down and we punt. We don't stop them like we literally haven't all game and they still win.

Punting from about the 1 no less. With the less than stellar coverage unit and the day Warner was having, they would need ~25 yards for a FG attempt.

PlantPage55
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Not to mention that one of the biggest issues that continues to go unmentioned is that Brett Favre is known as a "legend" - he has been around this league far too long to continue to make the same game-killing mistakes that we see from him annually.

Rodgers was a little off-the-mark in his first playoff game. I expect him to grow and learn from it. Brett has clearly not learned from anything, or at least has forgotten a lot of it.

How can he continue to be known as the "legend" that "puts the team on his back", when he continues to toss them off his back right before the journey is over?

RashanGary
03-16-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm a little hard on Rodgers for that play. Earlier in the game, they called the same blitz from the other side. Rodgers didn't see it coming until the last spit second and somehow didn't get killed.

Then, later in the game, it happens again from the other side. Jennings even saw it coming and gave a little chip and Rodgers till held the ball.

Favre Favre'd that game away, but Rodgers Rodgers'd ours away too.

In Rodgers defense, he's a fairly young guy. He had a great year of learning last year. I think this year, when Rodgers goes to the line, you're going to see a little more savvy. He's going to have hard counts that get the opposition to show coverages. He's going to take that step forward from a young QB to a savvy vet. I think Rodgers is smart enough and a quick enough learner that he can be that guy earlier than most.

Last year though, I don't think he was any better than Brett, in the playoffs or otherwise. The Saints had a plan to destroy Favre. Arizona tried to get Aaron, but the Saints were clearly the scarier team. So while Brett looked worse, I don't think Aaron would have faired much better in that situation.

Going forward, I know this is a big statement, but I think the guy we have now can be a bigger winner than the guy we had before. He has to take a couple steps forward, but he's shown me that he can be the steady type of QB that wins championships as opposed to the erratic, most of the time loser we had before.

Pugger
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Take AR's fumble back adn the result could be completely different. Take Favres 2007 int back and the result most likely is completely different. Take his int back in that game and the end result is still the most likely result.

I guess, I am not saying it's not a choke, it just doesn't bother me as much as where if it "didn't" happen things would of been different.

Chances are after that penalty on the vikes... unless favre made something happen for a 5 yard pass or so, that it was going to OT anyways.

You know what keeps making me sick? Watching that overthrow AR did in OT. I... can barely watch. Oh well, he's young... first time in the playoffs. He will hit that throw next season.

Right. Fans will forgive AR because it was his first playoff game. If he still has problems in big games in the future then we have a problem. But that conference championship game wasn't Favre's first nor was it the first time he's thrown stupid passes in the playoffs. He's had a history of imploding in big games more often than not since 1997.

Brandon494
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Jerry Glanville: I Traded Favre to Help Sober Him Up
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/a3kXT

"I had to get him out of Atlanta. . . . I could not sober him up," Glanville said. "I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that's open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that's what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was."

Strong words

TennesseePackerBacker
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
So when do we finally get to bury this thread?

edit: To elaborate. Brett Favre has about as much to do with the Packers as Darren Sharper or Ryan Longwell these days.

The Shadow
03-19-2010, 05:05 PM

edit: To elaborate. Brett Favre has about as much to do with the Packers as Darren Sharper or Ryan Longwell these days.

Amen.
But I don't believe the Favre jockomomo's will ever let it die. Matter of pride, I suppose..

Joemailman
03-19-2010, 05:29 PM
It's not like we're real strict about what gets discussed here. We currently have threads about Rex Grossman and Ladainian Tomlinson on the first page. The fact that the Favre thread has lasted this long is evidence there is interest in him, pro or con. No need to bury it. Just ignore it if you're not interested.

MJZiggy
03-19-2010, 06:22 PM

"I had to get him out of Atlanta. . . . I could not sober him up," Glanville said. "I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that's open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that's what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was."

Strong words

Not sure I buy it. I think he was more willing to trade because Wolf came calling and he could get a first for a player he'd buried on his depth chart. Atlanta knew Wolf wanted Favre bad and I'm sure they thought he'd bust. Hell when he first got to GB, Holmgren probably thought the same thing from what I've read.

Joemailman
03-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Glanville sent him to Green Bay to sober him up? Because no one drinks in Wisconsin? If I ever develop a gambling addiction, will someone please be caring enough to send me to Vegas?

Scott Campbell
03-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Not until I'm finished paying homage to his awesomeness.

pbmax
03-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Glanville has been telling this tale forever and it keeps getting embellished. And its clearly false on it face, as even after being in Green Bay and going to bed at 10:00 PM for a few years, Brett had to beat a Vicodin addiction and give up alcohol. Glanville should not be invited to anyone's intervention if this is his idea of helping.

He is trying to cover his behind. Herock wanted to keep him, Glanville wanted him gone. He might have wanted him gone because he would not shape up, but he was not traded to save the player. He was traded because the coach didn't want to put up with him and Wolf offered too much for Herock to turn down.

packerbacker1234
03-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Glanville has been telling this tale forever and it keeps getting embellished. And its clearly false on it face, as even after being in Green Bay and going to bed at 10:00 PM for a few years, Brett had to beat a Vicodin addiction and give up alcohol. Glanville should not be invited to anyone's intervention if this is his idea of helping.

He is trying to cover his behind. Herock wanted to keep him, Glanville wanted him gone. He might have wanted him gone because he would not shape up, but he was not traded to save the player. He was traded because the coach didn't want to put up with him and Wolf offered too much for Herock to turn down.

Exactly, he is just trying to look like the good guy. He has been saying this now for like 15 years or something and it seems to come back up every 4 years or so. Saying he traded #4 for the benefit of the player is such a falicy. We get it, you didn't like his partying ways and had to dump him, but you didn't CHOOSE GB. GB offered you a first rounder and you couldn't refuse... most don't even blame you for taking it. In GB fans were not happy with the trade of a 1st rounder for a partying back up QB... it ended up being a brilliant move, but at the time no one liked it.

Besides, what is this that Wisconsin bars shut down at 10:00pm? "if I sent him to new york..." - he was sent to the state with the highest amount of bars per person. Bars are open in wisconsin until 2:30am. Sure it's not like New York or places like Vegas that have 24 hour spots, but 10pm is a big exageration. Also as people know, just because you can't buy alcohol from a store after 10 has no bearing on anything. You prebuy all you need, go to a bar and get hammered, then have an afterbar. It's a popular thing done by a lot of college students.

Thing is, he doesn't even need to make himself look like #4's savior. No one blames atlanta for trading favre at the time.

Bretsky
03-20-2010, 02:25 PM

Not until I'm finished paying homage to his awesomeness.

When you are done it will be a good day

MOBB DEEP
03-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Strong words

Not sure I buy it. I think he was more willing to trade because Wolf came calling and he could get a first for a player he'd buried on his depth chart. Atlanta knew Wolf wanted Favre bad and I'm sure they thought he'd bust. Hell when he first got to GB, Holmgren probably thought the same thing from what I've read.

QFT

Fritz
04-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm enjoying that it appears everyone has finally gotten the hang of the Brett off season routine. We all know he's coming back, he knows he's coming back, but he doesn't wanna do the offseason stuff. So he says he's not sure if he's coming back, he skips all the stuff he doesn't want to do, then throws to some high school kids and then shows up when he feels like it.

Now that the routine is down pat, the writers seem to spend less time wondering what he's gonna do - they all know!

channtheman
04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm enjoying that it appears everyone has finally gotten the hang of the Brett off season routine. We all know he's coming back, he knows he's coming back, but he doesn't wanna do the offseason stuff. So he says he's not sure if he's coming back, he skips all the stuff he doesn't want to do, then throws to some high school kids and then shows up when he feels like it.

Now that the routine is down pat, the writers seem to spend less time wondering what he's gonna do - they all know!

That's what we all think. Favre hasn't been in the spotlight much at all this off season. He's gonna do something different to shake that up, I just have no idea what.

packerbacker1234
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM

That's what we all think. Favre hasn't been in the spotlight much at all this off season. He's gonna do something different to shake that up, I just have no idea what.

Eh I doubt it. To be fair, it's not really his fault that he is in the spotlight so much as it is: He is/was a hell of a player at the hardest position to play in all of football. What is it now, 5 NFC title games, 2 super bowls, 1 super bowl win, and tops in every stat in the record book. You take a guy like that, at the end of his career where it is hard to let go of the game... people are going to always be all over him. I mean, last season, season prior, was it really his fault we were getting reports about him mowing his lawn and looking happy? It's not like he asked the media to be waiting outside his home and scoping everything he did.

Just wait until it happens to Brady, or Manning... it's going to be the same thing. Maybe team switching doesn't go on, but when your close to the end it's ALWAYS hard to figure out what to do. And everyone treats favre like no one else has done this before. If people payed more attention, plenty of players at other positions waffle all the time, they retire, they unretire, they get cut because they unretired, they get traded, etc etc. Derrick Mason just did this last year. He retired, then unretired. The difference was that the ravens had no WR's, so they weren't about to kick Mason to the curb.

The reason no one gets up in arms about it is because none of these players play at the QB position. Add onto the fact it was OUR QB, and it just hits home more.

Still, I never really blamed favre for all the attention his situation has continually got. Outside of the debacle in GB, which if GB and Favre were ever going to cut ties it was going to be ugly (just like manning and the colts ever cutting ties would be), favre wasn't making all these appearances or constantly talking to the media. Everything was always "rumors".

Also if history says anything, it's hard to walk away when you just played, statistically, the best season of your entire career. Where your team outplayed the team that won the SB, but collectively turned it over too many times to overcome. Everything points to him coming back, unless there are long term effects of the pounding he took.

I think at this point it's clear he comes back. I think the only time he finally wont is a serious injury or a really bad season by him personally, something at least on par with the second half of the season he had with the jets.

Scott Campbell
04-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I mean who could blame Bert for his interview with Greta Van Susteren, or all those text messages to Mort. Or those comments on Letterman. Or his Brother Scott. Or his mother Bonita. Or his agent Bus. Or Matt Millen. None of that stuff was his fault.

packerbacker1234
04-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I mean who could blame Bert for his interview with Greta Van Susteren, or all those text messages to Mort. Or those comments on Letterman. Or his Brother Scott. Or his mother Bonita. Or his agent Bus. Or Matt Millen. None of that stuff was his fault.

And in almost every instance, it started because they reached out to him first, and he simply responded.

Bretsky
04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
I'd bet Favre's agent initiated some of the stuff...such as the Greta interview.

Jim Miller on NFL Network noted yesterday how the Eagles were appreciative and cosiderate of putting McNabb where he wanted to go. He went a step further and noted that was the exact opposite of how Green Bay dealt with Favre. Of course it got a few fans outraged; but it was interesting to know that somebody else was pondering this besides me.

Pugger
04-06-2010, 07:55 AM
I'd bet Favre's agent initiated some of the stuff...such as the Greta interview.

Jim Miller on NFL Network noted yesterday how the Eagles were appreciative and cosiderate of putting McNabb where he wanted to go. He went a step further and noted that was the exact opposite of how Green Bay dealt with Favre. Of course it got a few fans outraged; but it was interesting to know that somebody else was pondering this besides me.

I'm sure Philly wasn't too concerned with McNabb going to the Skins. Washington isn't one QB away from being a contender like MN was in 2008. Once McNabb knew the Eagles were shopping him around he didn't go on national TV and throw his team under the bus like #4 did. Last night Greta was interviewing Jon Runyun, a former NFL linemen who played for the Eagles and is now running for congress in NJ. She asked him about the similarities between #4 playing for a divisional rival and McNabb going to the Skins and he said McNabb wasn't retiring and unretiring left and right. Greta quickly ended the interview... :lol:

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Jim Miller on NFL Network noted yesterday how the Eagles were appreciative and cosiderate of putting McNabb where he wanted to go. He went a step further and noted that was the exact opposite of how Green Bay dealt with Favre.

I suppose the Eagles were appreciative of Donovan not demanding his unconditional release, and not making a complete spectacle of himself. Thankfully Donovan behaved the exact opposite of Favre. Why wouldn't he be treated differently.

retailguy
04-06-2010, 08:44 AM

Wonder if it is this? :twisted:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/report-favre-will-soon-be-a-grandpa/

Report: Favre will soon be a grandpa
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 8:27 AM ET
With a head and a beard full of gray hair, quarterback Brett Favre already looks like a grandpa. Soon, he reportedly will be one.

Larry Fitzgerald, Sr. of the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder recently reported (via Jeff Ash of the Green Bay Press-Gazette) that Favre's oldest daughter, Brittany, is soon expected to give birth to a child.

Favre, who was 19 when his daughter was born, apparently would be the first grandfather to play in the NFL, if he returns for the 2010 season.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Anyone know who the Daddy is?

gex
04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Congrtulations Grandpa Brett!!
It must be a wonderfull time in the Favre family :D
1 more year :P

Joemailman
04-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Better not be Arod.

vince
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM

Better not be Arod.
:lol: It's TT

Harlan Huckleby
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/40_and_over_club.aspx

There's been a lot of over-40 players, I doubt Favre is the first grandfather. I'll bet Jim Thorpe had a few kids on the rez, or some such undocumented procreation. Women used to commonly have babies in their teens.

Well, at any rate, congratulations to the Favre clan for the addition of little baby Ted to the family.

ps. The Duluth Kelleys? Columbus Panhandles?

red
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
she's hot as hell

i'd have tapped that

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
1 more year :P

Oh yeah, you can just sense how very proud they must be. And it's 9 months, not a year. Except the kid is a Favre.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, at any rate, congratulations to the Favre clan for the addition of little baby Ted to the family.

............whomever they happen to be.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
How about a big PackerRats welcome to little Parker Bert Favre. We wish the little bastard well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/brett-favre-confirms-hes-a-grandpa/

RashanGary
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Now Favre has to come back. What's more endearing and inspiring than a grandfather playing professional football? Bus Cook and Bert know exactly what this means $$

Count me in as one of those who believes Favre will be back now.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Now Favre has to come back. What's more endearing and inspiring than a grandfather playing professional football? Bus Cook and Bert know exactly what this means $$

Count me in as one of those who believes Favre will be back now.

For safety reasons I wouldn't let Adrian Peterson hold the baby.

hoosier
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
How about a big PackerRats welcome to little Parker Bert Favre. We wish the little bastard well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/brett-favre-confirms-hes-a-grandpa/

Parker Brett?!? If I didn't know any better I would think the kid was named after his grandpa's former team. Except "Packer Brett Favre" (assuming the kid gets his mom's last name) would have been even better.

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Isn't that cute. Little Parker threw his first INT today.

Little Whiskey
04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
interesting picture of her playing in his softball charity game. maybe says who's the daddy.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/566126072_5ff7695d9c.jpg

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 04:22 PM

I bet he's really looking forward to playing catch with the little fella.

Assuming Tracy Porter isn't around.

channtheman
04-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Wonder if it is this? :twisted:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/report-favre-will-soon-be-a-grandpa/

Report: Favre will soon be a grandpa
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2010 8:27 AM ET
With a head and a beard full of gray hair, quarterback Brett Favre already looks like a grandpa. Soon, he reportedly will be one.

Larry Fitzgerald, Sr. of the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder recently reported (via Jeff Ash of the Green Bay Press-Gazette) that Favre's oldest daughter, Brittany, is soon expected to give birth to a child.

Favre, who was 19 when his daughter was born, apparently would be the first grandfather to play in the NFL, if he returns for the 2010 season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There it is! Totally called that one!

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
This kid is a Favre, so the young mother needs to remember that footballs are a choking hazard.

Harlan Huckleby
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I expect Favre's new nickname will be "gramps" when he comes back, and you know he is going to play.

LP
04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Gee Scott, you seem to have a lot of insight into this thing. You didn't go and add another bride to the stable without telling us did you? :twisted:

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Gee Scott, you seem to have a lot of insight into this thing. You didn't go and add another bride to the stable without telling us did you? :twisted:

Hey, it wasn't me. I suppose that narrows it down a bit.

Fritz
04-06-2010, 07:48 PM
She seems so young to be getting pregnant. Wouldn't you expect her to do the usual college thing first? Get a degree and all that crap?

Scott Campbell
04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
She seems so young to be getting pregnant. Wouldn't you expect her to do the usual college thing first? Get a degree and all that crap?

You and I would.

Harlan Huckleby
04-07-2010, 04:15 AM

old enough to ....

Gunakor
04-07-2010, 05:43 AM

Who the hell is Jim Miller? Is he that mediocre QB for the Bears that spent his entire career wishing he was Brett Favre, playing for the team he could never ever beat? There's plenty of reasons to rip on the Packers, I guess that would count as one of them.

Seeing as how he never played on a championship caliber team, I'm not surprised he doesn't know how one is built. Trading a talented football player to a division rival doesn't strike me as a sound championsip caliber football team building strategy. I would not have traded McNabb to a division rival simply because that's what McNabb wanted, unless I were pretty damn sure that move wouldn't hurt my own team's chances at a division title and a home playoff game.

To be honest, this almost strikes me as a sign of disrespect from the Iggles twoards McNabb. It's almost like telling him that they felt so little of him that they'd trade him to a team they play twice each season and not think twice about it. That they feel he's washed up, and would have little to offer the Skins in terms of title contention.

In contrast, trading Favre out of the division, out of the CONFERENCE as it were, could be perceived as a sign of respect for Favre's ability. In that particular case, I was pretty damn sure that trading him to the Vikings would have hurt the Packers chances at a division title and home playoff game. And I was right, as evidenced by last season. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have traded Favre anyway, seeing as how my QB of the future was 100% ready to play. I just wouldn't have traded Favre to a division rival, out of respect for his ability to play quarterback at an elite level.

I wonder if that makes any sense to Jim Miller...

RashanGary
04-07-2010, 06:19 AM
bretsky, no matter what Favre does, you give him the benefit of the doubt. No matter what the Packers did in the Favre situation, you assume the worst.

When everything looks one way, you say, "well, we odn't know all of the facts, Favre probably didn't do this or that". or, "well, we don't know all the facts, for all we know Ted could be lying about this or that".

Let's just take this thing at face value. When Favre says or does something incredibly selfish and hurtfull, let's just call it what it is. When Ted does nothing wrong, let's not assume evil intentions just because. I love the way we worship these guys. Tiger, Favre. Neither is better than the other. Neither deserves more respect. Neither is better or worse than any of us. All just human.

Fritz
04-07-2010, 06:29 AM
After seeing the news about Favre's daughter having a baby now, if I were Favre's teammate I'd buy a corn cob pipe and put it in his locker.

Patler
04-07-2010, 07:50 AM

One could also compare the difference in approaches taken by the players and their agents in dealing with the situations, and how that may have influenced the final result.

Funny thing in business, when both parties approach a situation respectful of the impact their actions have on the other party, it is usually easy to accommodate the needs and desires of both. When one party initially ignores the impact of their actions on the other, the other tends to dig in its heals and stubbornness escalates until neither comes away satisfied with the result.

For years, Favre's indecisiveness made it difficult for the Packers to plan their future. His out and out challenges to the front office staff and his questioning of their motives won no friends among the staff. Favre planted the seeds for a bad breakup years earlier, then fertilized, watered and applied growing lamps when he retired, unretired sort of a month later only to reaffirm his retirement followed by a prolonged period of vacillation during which he demanded to be simply released to go wherever he wanted to go with no compensation to the Packers.

When a guy becomes a thorn in your side, how likely are you to want to please him?

Scott Campbell
04-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Bus Cook has a storied history in the scorched earth dirty tricks approach to negotiations.

pbmax
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I think Chris Jacke must be involved somehow.

Scott Campbell
04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Pretend you're Brad Childress, and Bert has given you his solemn word that he's coming back to play for you this year. What's that worth?

Gunakor
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Pretend you're Brad Childress, and Bert has given you his solemn word that he's coming back to play for you this year. What's that worth?

Is it April or August?

Scott Campbell
04-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Is it April or August?

Your choice Gun.

Gunakor
04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
In April I'm turning a deaf ear to anything he has to say anyway. For me to hear it, the news would have to be channeled through his family, then his agent, then my front office, then my best friend, and then possibly my own mother for me to believe it - and by then it'll be damn near August anyway.

If it's the second week of August and he says he's ready for another go at it, he's being 100% completely honest about it. Remember, he's been throwing footballs to high school kids in lieu of training camp, so he's good until December. You can trust him.

Scott Campbell
04-07-2010, 09:49 AM
In April I'm turning a deaf ear to anything he has to say anyway. For me to hear it, the news would have to be channeled through his family, then his agent, then my front office, then my best friend, and then possibly my own mother for me to believe it - and by then it'll be damn near August anyway.

If it's the second week of August and he says he's ready for another go at it, he's being 100% completely honest about it. Remember, he's been throwing footballs to high school kids in lieu of training camp, so he's good until December. You can trust him.

Yeah, the summer heat seems to sweat the lying right out of him.

So it's April - do you draft or trade for another QB? Or roll the dice with their other 2 stiffs?

Gunakor
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I'd go with Tavaris Jackson. Honestly. He didn't look half bad out there in spot duty last year, and he had a tremendous camp and preseason while Brett was throwing footballs to high school kids. I'd take a flier on a late round prospect at QB, but truth be told he'd probably spend most of the season on my PS barring injury. I'd be happy with Sage as my backup. In the draft I'd be focused on replacing some of my defensive talent that's well over the hill by NFL standards. Make sure my defense remains elite for the foreseeable future. Otherwise it doesn't matter who their QB is.

Fritz
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I think you forge ahead without bothering to consider whether Brent's coming back. if you like a guy in the draft you take him. Brent doesn't come back, you develop the kid behind the other two. Brent comes back, what loss is it to cut jackson or rosenfels if you can't trade one of them?

TravisWilliams23
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
What does this say about Jackson or Rosenfels as NFL quarterbacks?

If they have confidence in their own ability to play, you'd think they
would be making some kind of noise about not starting. Unless both
are content with being a back-up. Zeke Bratkowski was considered
the best back-up during his time with the Pack in the 60's. It was a
luxury to have a quality vet waiting just in case Bart went down. Zeke
never made any bones about not starting. He knew what his role on
that team was and apparently was OK with it..

When Bert comes back, this will be 2 years their career's have been
put on hold. I like the fact that Arod had enough confidence in his
ability to let the Pack know they were approaching the "make a
decision time" on him.

I'm just not seeing that confidence here with T-Jack or Rosenfels.

Scott Campbell
04-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I think it would have been easier for them to make some noise if Bert had faltered.

Fritz
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Headline:

SCOTT CAMPBELL: BRENT DID NOT FALTER

Wow. People are going to pee their pants, Scott.

MJZiggy
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Fritz,

If he didn't falter, then that last pass was supposed to happen that way? :?:

Fritz
04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm just reporting what Scott said.

MJZiggy
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm just reporting what Scott said.

'kay. Carry on then.

Bretsky
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM

One could also compare the difference in approaches taken by the players and their agents in dealing with the situations, and how that may have influenced the final result.

Funny thing in business, when both parties approach a situation respectful of the impact their actions have on the other party, it is usually easy to accommodate the needs and desires of both. When one party initially ignores the impact of their actions on the other, the other tends to dig in its heals and stubbornness escalates until neither comes away satisfied with the result.

For years, Favre's indecisiveness made it difficult for the Packers to plan their future. His out and out challenges to the front office staff and his questioning of their motives won no friends among the staff. Favre planted the seeds for a bad breakup years earlier, then fertilized, watered and applied growing lamps when he retired, unretired sort of a month later only to reaffirm his retirement followed by a prolonged period of vacillation during which he demanded to be simply released to go wherever he wanted to go with no compensation to the Packers.

When a guy becomes a thorn in your side, how likely are you to want to please him?

very well thought out post and good and respectful points
kudos

Bretsky
04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
DAMMIT I have the Rams; what do the Rams Need

EVERYTHING !

Bretsky
04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
oops...sorry.....started doing the live draft in here so editing my Rams pick

Scott Campbell
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Fritz,

If he didn't falter, then that last pass was supposed to happen that way? :?:

By that point they couldn't replace him, as their offense never saw the field again that season.

LP
04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I think (hope) this is the right thread for this. If not, then I shall apologize in advance.

Am I the only one who wonders if having to open against the same New Orleans Saints who beat the everliving crap out of him in his last game, will give Bert pause and disrupt his thoughts on if and when he should return to the Queens?

channtheman
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I think (hope) this is the right thread for this. If not, then I shall apologize in advance.

Am I the only one who wonders if having to open against the same New Orleans Saints who beat the everliving crap out of him in his last game, will give Bert pause and disrupt his thoughts on if and when he should return to the Queens?

Interesting. Is old Bert willing to put his consecutive starts record behind himself in order to come back for the second game of the season instead of the middle of August? I'm sure there would be plenty of high school practices where he could keep his arm warmed up till the 2nd game if he chose to do that.

falco
04-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Given his competitive nature, I would think if anything it would entice him to return.

Joemailman
04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
The only think that might give Favre second thoughts about returning would be if Chilly wants him to attend the OTA's. That won't happen. He'll be back in July, I suspect.

swede
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Favre seems really comfortable with an organization that allows him to play by a different set of rules. Not many clubs allow that, but if both sides are happy it's good.

I look forward to playing the Vikes again.

LP
04-21-2010, 06:48 PM
If he plays, and if the Saints can again apply the same kind of pressure and pain, how long will Chilly go before he trys to use the big hook?Supposedly Chilly tried to pull him in a game last year for fear of injury, but Bert wouldn't come out. I know many believed Bert wouldn't have been able to play the week after the NFC title game. Now if he were to go down in the first game, the Queens could be in for a very disapointing season.

packerbacker1234
04-21-2010, 07:10 PM
If he plays, and if the Saints can again apply the same kind of pressure and pain, how long will Chilly go before he trys to use the big hook?Supposedly Chilly tried to pull him in a game last year for fear of injury, but Bert wouldn't come out. I know many believed Bert wouldn't have been able to play the week after the NFC title game. Now if he were to go down in the first game, the Queens could be in for a very disapointing season.

Didn't the saints lose like 8 players or something from last years team? It may not be the same "qb thrashing" defense it was last year.

swede
04-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Yes, but I was not the only one last season talking big about how we'd never get a chance to play him because he would have been injured before we got a shot at him. We were wrong. I was wrong about Favre. He continues to be one tough bird on the field.

Up until the end that was so disappointing for Vikings fans he showed great mental and physical toughness.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2010, 08:19 PM

I hope the Saints finish the job on him this time.

falco
04-21-2010, 08:38 PM

I hope the Saints finish the job on him this time.

I would say +1, except I'd like to see the Packers kick his butt twice this year.

Scott Campbell
04-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Is Bert done?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/04/favres-ankle-still-a-problem-mariucci-says/1

That pick would be a horrific way for him to go out. I LIKE IT!

Scott Campbell
05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Is Bert done?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/favre-told-a-fellow-player-hes-100-percent-positive-hes-retiring/

"Brett Favre is saying publicly that he hasn't made up his mind about whether he'll play in 2010. But he reportedly told another player privately that he's finished playing."

hoosier
05-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Is Bert done?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/favre-told-a-fellow-player-hes-100-percent-positive-hes-retiring/

"Brett Favre is saying publicly that he hasn't made up his mind about whether he'll play in 2010. But he reportedly told another player privately that he's finished playing."

Sounds to me like definitive proof that he is coming back. The only question is, will he stage a retirement before he announces his return?

Fritz
05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
He's thinking about it.

Patler
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Dang, when you get old your mind plays tricks on you. I could have sworn he retired a couple years ago. Tears-filled press conference and everything.

Must be time for me to get more of that kinky-baloney brain stimulator stuff, or whatever it s called! :lol:

channtheman
05-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Dang, when you get old your mind plays tricks on you. I could have sworn he retired a couple years ago. Tears-filled press conference and everything.

Must be time for me to get more of that kinky-baloney brain stimulator stuff, or whatever it s called! :lol:

I wonder if old Bert wakes up in a sweat occasionally and dreams he retired. Maybe he thinks he never actually did. :lol:

Pugger
05-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't think he ever did really retire. I suspect he asked TT for his release or trade him after that teary PC and TT declined believing the motive behind this request was to join MN. I'd wager this is the true reason for the bitter divorce and why #4 went on Greta's show. After TT traded His Highness to NY and after the 2008 season BF faked another retirement. He waited until Sanchez was drafted before he asked for his release and NY gave it to him. I say faked because a retired player does not ask for his release.

Brando19
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't think he ever did really retire. I suspect he asked TT for his release or trade him after that teary PC and TT declined believing the motive behind this request was to join MN. I'd wager this is the true reason for the bitter divorce and why #4 went on Greta's show. After TT traded His Highness to NY and after the 2008 season BF faked another retirement. He waited until Sanchez was drafted before he asked for his release and NY gave it to him. I say faked because a retired player does not ask for his release.

Please watch that press conference. No offense...but you'd have to be blind and deaf to not know he retired. He said he has nothing left to give and he's retiring from the Green Bay Packers and the National Football League. He didn't say I want out of Green Bay or I want released. He retired...or lied to the fans.

falco
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
No offense...but you'd have to be blind and deaf to not know he retired.

You'd have to be blind and deaf to believe him.

Brando19
05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
No offense...but you'd have to be blind and deaf to not know he retired.

You'd have to be blind and deaf to believe him.

That's an entirely different discussion, Falco. My point...as we were discussing...is he retired.

pbmax
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I used to hope that one day I would understand while old QBs like Dan Marino (or Montana, Unitas, Namath, etc.) would seem to come to an inglorious end *. Some (not all) fighting with management, seeming petty and hypersensitive and behaving as if the tenets they formerly believed no longer applied. I was curious why sports writers would just shrug and say "here we go again" like it was inevitable instead of telling the reader why it commonly seemed to go this way. Now I understand and do not want to hear any more complaints or updates.

The only question I wish answered now is how much of training camp and preseason could be avoided by vets and thus help extend careers. Because whatever else Brett may stand for, he made a heck of a case for training camp being too long last year. And to think they USED to run 6 weeks and start earlier in July.

I think its still possible he is not in as good a shape as he could be with a full offseason and I still believe that affects him in games late in the season. But the only part of the missed training camp that seemed to affect him early last year was being in sync with his receivers, which seemed to happen in Game 4 for them.

* This does not excuse writers who cite Willie Mays as embarrassing himself simply for continuing to play while their skills had declined. Most of the dopes who write this now did not witness it. And I could not care less if the player stays and continues their career even in somewhat diminished fashion.

Pugger
05-04-2010, 01:10 AM

Please watch that press conference. No offense...but you'd have to be blind and deaf to not know he retired. He said he has nothing left to give and he's retiring from the Green Bay Packers and the National Football League. He didn't say I want out of Green Bay or I want released. He retired...or lied to the fans.

If he had nothing left to give to the Packers or the NFL he changed his tune pretty quick. It didn't take many weeks before we started to hear hints "that something's bound to happen" in various interviews. Do you think he'd say in that PC he wanted out of town or to be released? Not likely. Maybe he didn't feel the love any longer in GB. We'll never know unless someone writes a tell-all book someday but the hard look on his wife's face when the camera turned to her during that PC is telling. She looked pissed. You'd think she would have a softer look of compassion and/or support as her husband is crying like a baby to all the world. His play in the first half of 2008 and last season in MN is proof he had plenty left to give to the NFL, just not to the Green Bay Packers.

Gunakor
05-04-2010, 05:21 AM
His play in the first half of 2008 and last season in MN is proof he had plenty left to give to the NFL, just not to the Green Bay Packers.

If that were true, I wonder what caused him to be so spiteful of the fact that the Green Bay Packers had nothing left to give to him either. I don't think this is reality. I think he had made up his mind, then was overcome with regret after the fact and tried to force his way back in. Honestly, I think Favre is 100% committed to whatever he's saying at the time. But only at the time he says it.

RashanGary
05-04-2010, 06:30 AM
I used to hope that one day I would understand while old QBs like Dan Marino (or Montana, Unitas, Namath, etc.) would seem to come to an inglorious end *. Some (not all) fighting with management, seeming petty and hypersensitive and behaving as if the tenets they formerly believed no longer applied. I was curious why sports writers would just shrug and say "here we go again" like it was inevitable instead of telling the reader why it commonly seemed to go this way. Now I understand and do not want to hear any more complaints or updates.

I'm still curious. The only situation I watched up close was Favre's. I thought it was because he was so used to being needed and treated like royalty from his team, so used to being told, "yes" to any question. . . When the Packers got to that point where they didn't care if he came back, he felt horrible, choosing to retire rather than play when he knew the team he played for didn't really care if they had him or not. He got the hint, there was somehting different, he knew MM was ready to move on. When he retired, then got over that feeling and tried to come back, they told him, "no". And now a whole new set of feelings came up. Not being needed was bad enough. Being told, "no" in favor of a younger QB was a reason to go.

And here we are, the chip still on his shoulder. He's at the only team in the league that needs him the way he wants to be needed, slowly declining, but doing most of the things he felt he was too good to do in his last situation (protecting the ball, playing within himself and the system). I'd be interested to hear your theory because I'm not so sure mine is right. . .

Fritz
05-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Two things: first, it's apparent that when Favre says something, he believes it to be true. I think when he had the presser for his first retirement he truly believed that was it for him. It's just that he changes his mind a lot.

Also I agree with PB's point - training camp is too long. It's unnecessary, caused by coaches who are hyper anal and owners who want to milk the fans for preseason games. Vets don't need that much camp. They train year round now. They are in fine shape and to get into 'football shape' don't need all that time.

pbmax
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
He's at the only team in the league that needs him the way he wants to be needed, slowly declining, but doing most of the things he felt he was too good to do in his last situation (protecting the ball, playing within himself and the system).
I think the first part is correct. Veteran QBs have very firm ideas about what they can and cannot do anymore and they are going to be less likely to listen to their coaches about what needs to be changed. So its natural for a vet to seek a specific team out, rather than just hope for a big FA contract. In this way the Vikings are a natural fit. Veteran and built for now.

I don't know that I agree with your latter two statements, except that I suspect that Favre feels he doesn't need to do it alone in Minnesota and in Green Bay, he felt that the supporting cast was lacking. But Favre as GM has always been attracted to names (Peterson, Allen, Williamses) and needs rather than a longer term approach to building a team. Its a natural evolution and the reason why so many vet relationships go sour.

pbmax
05-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Also I agree with PB's point - training camp is too long. It's unnecessary, caused by coaches who are hyper anal and owners who want to milk the fans for preseason games. Vets don't need that much camp. They train year round now. They are in fine shape and to get into 'football shape' don't need all that time.
And its easy to see the coach's point of view. Does anyone know how long a vet needs to train in camp to be ready? Rather than face that uncertainty, the coach would rather get everyone under one roof and control reps and training themselves. And that would only go for certain vets, everyone else would fall under the "we do this as a team" rubric.

Younger players probably do need to reps.

RashanGary
05-04-2010, 08:06 AM
PB,

I'd like to hear your theory on why so many big name QB's go out with drama? I know this isn't a "brent" thing. It's probably a human nature thing. What is it though? I've only seen Brett's up close, hard for me to get a good read on why this happened.

pbmax
05-04-2010, 08:20 AM
PB,

I'd like to hear your theory on why so many big name QB's go out with drama? I know this isn't a "brent" thing. It's probably a human nature thing. What is it though? I've only seen Brett's up close, hard for me to get a good read on why this happened.

Veteran QBs have very firm ideas about what they can and cannot do anymore and they are going to be less likely to listen to their coaches about what needs to be changed. So its natural for a vet to seek a specific team out, rather than just hope for a big FA contract.
They are no longer looking to make a team. They are looking for somewhere to fit. Ask any businessman about long term employees, and it would go double for those with a hard to find talent or skill. Eventually, they begin to believe they have some claim on what company policy should be. And they, of course, would like it to align with their interests.

Happens to message boards too. :)

Scott Campbell
05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Per Greg Beddard:

"Favre's photo is still on outside of Metrodome. Under his picture it says 'Fueled by Dedication.' Seriously. "

:lol:

That's going to make for some terrific irony when training camp starts and Bert's home mowing the grass.

RashanGary
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
PB,

That makes a lot of sense. A bunch of other things went into the cauldron, but it makes a lot of sense that, that is where the tension begins. IMO it's udnerstood that organizations should and do always make decisions in the best interest of the team, and I consider it each teammates reponsibility to give thier best to their teammates, regardless of how that fits in with them. I hold Brett almost completely responsible for what happened, even though I understand how and why it happened. I don't think the team owed him anything more than to pay him the contract they agreed to, trade him if they wanted or cut him. I do think he owed it to his teammates to give his best and buy into the program. If no teammates were involved, fine fight with management and try to get what you want. When other people are involved, I think there is a responsibility to the team to do things the right way. That's why i think it's a joke to say he cares about the team. He'll bounce from team to team to team, not knowing a guy in the room if he thinks it will give him the best chance.

vince
05-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Favre's photo is still on outside of Metrodome.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/brent-1.jpg

RashanGary
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Below it, it should say, "entitlement."

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I didn't want the Sean Payton thread to turn into a Favre discussion, so I am posting it here:

What rivets my curiosity about the decision TT made, specifically, if he'd chosen Payton instead is not whether or not the Pack would have won their NFCC game and ensuing SB. Rather, who would be the Packers QB going into this season?

I am just wondering out loud if Payton and his regime would have developed Rogers to be the future of the team, or if his style of coaching would have preferred to stay with the veteran.

Fritz
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
I had a slightly different question: did TT go with McCarthy in part because he ran the west coast, and TT did not want to rock the boat with Favre by hiring a head coach who had a whole new system?

Scott Campbell
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Those are both great questions, and we'll probably never get the answer.

Pugger
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
His play in the first half of 2008 and last season in MN is proof he had plenty left to give to the NFL, just not to the Green Bay Packers.

If that were true, I wonder what caused him to be so spiteful of the fact that the Green Bay Packers had nothing left to give to him either. I don't think this is reality. I think he had made up his mind, then was overcome with regret after the fact and tried to force his way back in. Honestly, I think Favre is 100% committed to whatever he's saying at the time. But only at the time he says it.

You're probably right there. I suspect another reason #4 is spiteful is because the Packers wouldn't just hand the starting job back to him after he changed his mind the second time that spring. I'd bet that truly shocked him. I don't think he believed the Packers would really move on without him if he "retired."

I've been thinking lately and have come to believe the Packers never told #4 he couldn't play for GB or anyone else either. If they did the players' union would've screamed bloody murder! What is more likely is MM told Favre he could come back but he had to compete for his old job and that didn't sit to well with ol #4. To add insult to injury TT wouldn't trade him to the queens or give him his unconditional release.

vince
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't want the Sean Payton thread to turn into a Favre discussion, so I am posting it here:

What rivets my curiosity about the decision TT made, specifically, if he'd chosen Payton instead is not whether or not the Pack would have won their NFCC game and ensuing SB. Rather, who would be the Packers QB going into this season?

I am just wondering out loud if Payton and his regime would have developed Rogers to be the future of the team, or if his style of coaching would have preferred to stay with the veteran.
Are you suggesting Tar, that TT chose McCarthy because he would be more effective at successfully unseeding his hated nemesis as the starting quarterback in Green Bay? :twisted:

Gunakor
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Peyton probably would have stuck with Favre. Reason being, Peyton is not an extraordinary QB coach like McCarthy. To be perfectly honest, I doubt Rodgers is even drafted if Peyton is running the show. I mean, it's not like the Saints would have won anything whatsoever if they didn't bring in an already proven quarterback to start the Peyton regime there. Until Peyton proves he is even capable of developing a quarterback I have to assume he'd have ridden the Favre train until it derailed, causing a massive explosion destroying everything around it. And then where would we be?

I'm fine with McCarthy. He's won an awful lot of football games up here in Green Bay. Don't forget, we coulda ended up with Steve Mariucci or Brad Childress back then too.

Tarlam!
05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Are you suggesting Tar, that TT chose McCarthy because he would be more effective at successfully unseeding his hated nemesis as the starting quarterback in Green Bay? :twisted:

Oh Lord, Vince, that was BOMNF! :alc:

Patler
05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
To be perfectly honest, I doubt Rodgers is even drafted if Peyton is running the show.

Wasn't Sherman still the coach when Rodgers was drafted?

Cleft Crusty
05-05-2010, 02:11 PM
All evidence points to the simple conclusion that Ted Thompson makes all his decisions in the interest of the greater good of the Packers, as he sees it. If this happened to lead to less or more happiness for Brett Favre, that would be entirely incidental. Thompson, like virtually all GMs, cares about the happiness of his players only in so much as it leads to a title.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
To be perfectly honest, I doubt Rodgers is even drafted if Peyton is running the show.

Yeah, and if Ted drafted Rogers as his first big move as GM, I don't see him letting Favre unduly influence who he hired as a coach the following year.

Gunakor
05-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Ah, you're right. Good call.

MJZiggy
05-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Which would have made developing his new QB a very important consideration in choosing the next coach.

packerbacker1234
05-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Well I do think that #4 may have never left GB given that Peyton was the coach. Now, in that time span would we have gotten a SB with #4 at qb adn thus make any debate on what would be a better direction irrelevent is something you can't really talk about. It's all hypothetical. Everyone knows #4 has been to 2 of the last 3 nfc championships adn threw bad ints towards the end of each. Not only that, but Rodgers has been performing bassically as well as favre has in the same time span, though what favre did last season was purely astonishing. It was an MVP season and it's really not up for debate. The numbers were all set up to be better than the other 3 years he won it.

Now, I am not sure Peyton really had much of a chance when MM interviewed. Thing is, TT was pretty sold on Rodgers potentially being the future within the a 2 to 3 year window, and he wanted a coach that could groom him. He knew that "immediatly" Rodgers didn't need to start and that favre is next to uncoachable at this point in his career, but he was looking out for the best interest of the future.

Fast forward to now, sure it looks like in a "what if" situation we may have kept favre around and may possibly have added another trophy to the case, assuming he could do what he did in NO. Obviously, that would of pleased everyone because afterall, in the end, it is about winning the ring and it's not easy to do. We may be a playoff team for the next 10 seasons and never win the trophy, and almost anyone would trade those 10 seasons for a ring. Of course, we would never want to pull the raiders (go to a sb, they lost it but whatever, go to a sb, win it, and then be a shit team ever since) - but I don't think anyone is as bad as al davis to make that happen.

IN THE END, time will tell if it was the right choice. Record wise is the same, the only difference is gb fell short in 2007, and in 2009 NO didn't.

I like both so far as coaches, but I think everyone will agree this is a big year for MM. We return everyone from last season when we went 11-5, so 10 - 6 or ebtter is now expected this season, as is a playoff victory or two, possibly a championship run. Assuming that favre comes back (whatever, he needs to get the ankle surgery anyways and he retracted saying it's not even a major surgery) the vikings are still technically going to be the etam to beat in the NFC North, and naturally I would love to see us get ahead of them - but it's neat to note that the NFC North ahs two teams that could legitimitely make SB runs this year.

So, lets worry about those two teams. We want the pack all the way, and Minnesota and that #4 guy are in the way. I still like you Favre, and I do think some day we shoudl retire your number, but for now I will be indifferent and hope that when the time comes, we beat you down. I almost want a Favre lead vikings against the packers in the nfc championship. Talk about fucking hype.

Scott Campbell
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Favre to forgo ankle surgery:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/12/report-rumor-flies-that-brett-favre-will-forego-ankle-surgery/

I guess now we know why he didn't stroll for the yardage - he was too horribly disfigured and maimed to pick up a couple of yards for Longwell.

MJZiggy
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/12/report-rumor-flies-that-brett-favre-will-forego-ankle-surgery/

I guess now we know why he didn't stroll for the yardage - he was too horribly disfigured and maimed to pick up a couple of yards for Longwell.

But not too much so to roll out to make the throw...

Scott Campbell
05-12-2010, 06:25 PM

One more step and his foot would have come clean off.

Freak Out
05-12-2010, 07:04 PM

One more step and his foot would have come clean off.

Is it a rumor or not?

GrnBay007
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
What was it JH most recently referred to Brett Favre as? A slime ball I believe he said. Quite possibly time for those Packer fans that can't stand him solely for leaving the Packers to quit taking shots on him on a personal level. It's seriously a losing battle. This article from small town Iowa....

Once-in-a-lifetime visit

A trip to Brett Favre's estate in Mississippi auctioned off at the Grant Vogt Memorial Classic.

Vogt, a junior aviation student at the University of Dubuque, passed away in September 2008 as the result of a small aircraft crash in Cassville, Wis. He played catcher for the baseball teams at Wahlert and Hempstead (IA high school baseball teams) before pursuing his passion of flying.

Proceeds from the event help fund scholarships to graduating seniors at both schools.

Sheree (Meyer) Menadue submitted the silent auction bid as a way to show her support for the Grant Vogt family.

It turned out to be absolutely priceless for four members of her family.

Menadue won the opportunity to visit Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre at his Hattiesburg, Miss., estate. Her husband Mark, father-in-law Charles Menadue and children Hannah and Grant made the trip last week.

A similar prize will be available today at the second annual Grant Vogt Memorial Baseball Classic. The event begins at 9 a.m. and runs into the early evening. Raffle prizes and the silent auction will conclude late in the afternoon.

"All of us were so nervous on the way down there, and my son Grant was even to the point where he thought he was going to faint," said Mark Menadue, who grew up in Dubuque but now lives in Des Moines. "But I don't think you'll ever meet a more down-to-earth guy. He was very open and honest with us. You could tell he was a real person and that he's not caught up in stardom like a lot of professional athletes.

"I don't think I could ask for a better role model for my kids to meet. Even with all the success he's had, he's still a very humble, approachable guy. I know it's an experience we'll never forget."

Vogt, a junior aviation student at the University of Dubuque, passed away in September 2008 as the result of a small aircraft crash in Cassville, Wis. He played catcher for the baseball teams at Wahlert and Hempstead before pursuing his passion of flying.

Proceeds from the event help fund scholarships to graduating seniors at both schools.19-and-over.

Sheree (Meyer) Menadue also grew up in Dubuque and was a long-time neighbor of Larry Vogt, Grant's father.

Scott Harris -- of Harris Golf Cars in Peosta, Iowa -- arranged the trip to Hattiesburg. Harris has furnished a custom-made golf cart for Favre for several years and has struck a friendship with the former National Football League MVP.

Harris also helps raise money for Favre's foundation, which can be accessed at www.officialbrettfavre.com.

The trip included another silent auction winner. Mike McDermott, of Cascade, Iowa, received the trip as a gift from an anonymous donor who attended a benefit for his family's medical bills.

"Brett actually kind of smirks about how people react about meeting him," Harris said. "He just doesn't consider himself the superstar athlete he is. He's just a great guy to hang around.

"But, at the same time, Brett really enjoys being able to help people. When I first met him in Green Bay, he had his own office just to handle all the requests. Even though it is a huge time commitment, it never bothers him."

packerbacker1234
05-13-2010, 12:54 AM
It's always the stuff you never hear about that is often most surprising.

HarveyWallbangers
05-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Brett is pretty good with the off the field stuff, but you hear all about Brett's philanthropic ways. His own website states that his foundation has raised $3M over the last 10 years. I realize that he does more than give money, and I'm happy that he does what he can, but that really isn't out of the ordinary. For example, Chuck Woodson donated $2M to the children's hospital at the U of Michigan in one lump sum, and I'm sure he's done more--that we haven't heard about. You just don't hear that much about most players. I'm guessing many other players on the team donate a nice chunk of their paycheck.

Gunakor
05-13-2010, 04:07 AM
Everybody has two faces I suppose. While I admire and appreciate what he does for his fans, off the field, it doesn't change what happened a few years ago. It doesn't rewrite history. Just because he can put on his humble face for his fans from time to time doesn't mean his arrogant face doesn't exist. We've all seen both faces.

Believe what you want to believe. There's plenty of evidence to support both arguments.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2010, 05:56 AM

But how can you be surprised if you haven't heard about it?

mraynrand
05-13-2010, 08:00 AM

If Brett Favre takes a shit in the forest and Bus Cook isn't there, does it make a sound?

Fritz
05-13-2010, 11:36 AM

If Brett Favre takes a shit in the forest and Bus Cook isn't there, does it make a sound?

The thing is, you know he does.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
What was it JH most recently referred to Brett Favre as? A slime ball I believe he said. Quite possibly time for those Packer fans that can't stand him solely for leaving the Packers to quit taking shots on him on a personal level. It's seriously a losing battle. This article from small town Iowa....

I'm not sure I've ever talked with anybody that can't stand Bert solely because he left the Packers. People can't stand Bert because of how he left the Packers.

Packer nation will probably get another opportunity on October 24th to informally vote on his sliminess again, just they did last season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-L5UyGDlVM

Zool
05-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Recently read a quote from Tomlinson on why he didnt go to the Raiders for quite a bit more money. I'm paraphrasing "Hell no man, thats my rival. I've been hating them for 10 years. You never go play for a rival."

"If you ain't with us, you against us" - Nick Barnett

Pugger
05-13-2010, 12:56 PM

But it will eventually be featured on Sportscenter... :roll:

LP
05-13-2010, 01:33 PM

And if Bus was there, he'd take pictures and distribute them to the press to prove how agonizing it was.

pbmax
05-13-2010, 04:55 PM

And if Bus was there, he'd take pictures and distribute them to the press to prove how agonizing it was.
There is a rumor that Favre sends those kind of cellphone picks to a select group. :lol:

Freak Out
05-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Who wipes his ass if Bus isn't there?

Joemailman
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Mooch.

MJZiggy
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Brett is pretty good with the off the field stuff, but you hear all about Brett's philanthropic ways. His own website states that his foundation has raised $3M over the last 10 years. I realize that he does more than give money, and I'm happy that he does what he can, but that really isn't out of the ordinary. For example, Chuck Woodson donated $2M to the children's hospital at the U of Michigan in one lump sum, and I'm sure he's done more--that we haven't heard about. You just don't hear that much about most players. I'm guessing many other players on the team donate a nice chunk of their paycheck.

The difference in your two examples is something I noticed after Katrina. The Favre Foundation RAISED $3 million in 10 years. Woodson DONATED $2 million. Not actually trying to rag on Favre here, but I remember after Katrina Favre being lauded for being generous when what he donated was the plane to get the Packer fan donations to Mississippi. He played in the softball tournament to raise money but does anyone know if he donated to it himself? He's donated time and appearances, given speeches, but does he donate to his own causes or just open his house to a family once a year and let the family contribute for the scholarship. Did Favre donate to the scholarship fund? I bet they could get a couple kids through school if he tossed $50K at it...

MichiganPackerFan
05-14-2010, 11:40 AM

The difference in your two examples is something I noticed after Katrina. The Favre Foundation RAISED $3 million in 10 years. Woodson DONATED $2 million. Not actually trying to rag on Favre here, but I remember after Katrina Favre being lauded for being generous when what he donated was the plane to get the Packer fan donations to Mississippi. He played in the softball tournament to raise money but does anyone know if he donated to it himself? He's donated time and appearances, given speeches, but does he donate to his own causes or just open his house to a family once a year and let the family contribute for the scholarship. Did Favre donate to the scholarship fund? I bet they could get a couple kids through school if he tossed $50K at it...

I've been very skeptical of the same, not just Favre, but other athletes and celebrities as well. Time is great and nothing should diminish that, but are they really putting their money where their mouth is? Or taking credit for everyday people's contributions?

Scott Campbell
05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
I hate Bert the person, but I don't think it's fair to judge his charity work.

MichiganPackerFan
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I hate Bert the person, but I don't think it's fair to judge his charity work.

Agreed: that's why I stated time is important too. There is obvious value in coordinating and fundraising. But if someone is saying their foundation donated X amount of cash, and that cash was really collected from a list individuals, is that claim inappropriately taking credit for other peoples contributions? (and I am NOT even specifically singling out Favre, but the common situation)

RashanGary
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Bert has always been a master of manipulation. He knows what people want to see and hear, and is a master at making you believe he is what he knows people admire.

Unfortunately Bert is a slimeball, liar and total phony.

Harlan Huckleby
05-14-2010, 02:32 PM
I think it's the unibrow that makes Bert seem untrustworthy

http://sesamestreetlive.com/system/files/files/sesamestreetlivecom/1229031040_bert.png

RashanGary
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
My wife calls be bert because of my eyebrows. I don't think they're that bad, but she likes to call me bert or Igan (from ghost busters).

As you can probably tell from the people I'm in close likeness to, I'm a real looker.

RashanGary
05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm a cross between

This Guy
http://www.newsgroper.com/files/post_images/a_1226_bert-hand-puppet.jpg

and

This Guy
http://www.freewebs.com/willywill3/speng.jpg

Yeah, I'm that good looking.

Freak Out
05-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Still got the braces?

RashanGary
05-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Nope. Glad to have those off.

Freak Out
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM

I bet......I know the technology involved has changed a little over the years but when I was wearing the fuckers in the 70s they were a nightmare.

retailguy
05-14-2010, 05:18 PM

I bet......I know the technology involved has changed a little over the years but when I was wearing the fuckers in the 70s they were a nightmare.

I suppose that was at the same time you were walking to the school both ways uphill in the snow. I guess in Alaska, that's technically possible too. :P

I had braces as an adult in the early 90's. It sucked then too.

Freak Out
05-14-2010, 06:22 PM

I suppose that was at the same time you were walking to the school both ways uphill in the snow. I guess in Alaska, that's technically possible too. :P

I alternated between dog mushing or skiing to school depending on my mood....that is until I bought one of these.

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/9076-1964-Ford-Mustang.jpg

Tarlam!
05-18-2010, 02:20 AM
I have a couple of speculative questions for the pro/contra Favre-ites:

1. Should the Packers allow another player to wear #4?

2. Should the Packers still retire #4 when he hangs up the cleats? 2A. if yes. immediately or after a period of time?

3. Would Favre leading the hated Vikings to a Lombardi trophy impact your point of view?

4. Will Favre retire as a Packer? 4A. What if he wins it all in Purple?

P.S. I think it's time this thread got locked and a new Favre thread was started. I think these questions will be ignored by a large part of the forum, because of the squbbling in this thread.

channtheman
05-18-2010, 02:31 AM

2. Should the Packers still retire #4 when he hangs up the cleats? 2A. if yes. immediately or after a period of time?

3. Would Favre leading the hated Vikings to a Lombardi trophy impact your point of view?

P.S. I think it's time this thread got locked and a new Favre thread was started. I think these questions will be ignored by a large part of the forum, because of the squbbling in this thread.

1. No. As much as I hate the man right now, his contributions to the Packers warrant retiring his number and not allowing any other player to wear it.

2. See above. 2A. I think immediately after he retires.

3. While I would hate to see this happen, I again think it goes back to the big picture. Regardless of what Favre does for any other team, the things he has done for the Packers would allow me to eventually get over what he is doing now. So maybe initially they would impact how I feel, but after a while I would be proud to talk about Favre as a Packer again.

4. I don't think Favre will. I think the fans will get over the past, but I think that what I have seen from Favre indicates that he has a huge hatred for TT and maybe McCarthy. As long as TT is GM I don't see him retiring as a Packer. Unless ole Bert plans to play for 10 more years and TT is no longer our GM, I can't see him retiring as a Packer. Who knows though, maybe he'll play that long and make it happen!

Fritz
05-18-2010, 06:42 AM

1. No, they should not allow another player to wear #4.
2. Yes, they should retire #4. But not for a while. Not til things have cooled.
3. I can't stand the way Favre handled his departure and it would suck giant donkey b_lls if the Vikings, the hated Vikings, won a SB AND Favre was the QB.
4. I don't know if he'll retire as a Packer. I'm guessing that if/when he comes back this season and if he does well, he might start thinking of retiring as a Queen.

Scott Campbell
05-18-2010, 07:52 AM

1. No, they should not allow another player to wear #4.
2. Yes, they should retire #4. But not for a while. Not til things have cooled.
3. I can't stand the way Favre handled his departure and it would suck giant donkey b_lls if the Vikings, the hated Vikings, won a SB AND Favre was the QB.
4. I don't know if he'll retire as a Packer. I'm guessing that if/when he comes back this season and if he does well, he might start thinking of retiring as a Queen.

1) No. I wouldn't saddle a current player with that burden.
2) No. They don't retire numbers anymore.
3) No. He's a either a successful traitor, or a failed choking traitor - but he's a traitor either way.
4) No. I don't think Favre would want to retire as a Packer, and I think the Packers don't need the distraction. And I think that honor should be reserved for those players who don't burn all their bridges on the way out of town.

MichiganPackerFan
05-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Absolutely not. What Favre accomplished as a Packer guaranteed him a spot in the HOF, YEARS before his departure Regardless of how his time in GB ended, the 16 years can't be undone

Yes, wait five years to make sure he actual stays retired and it's not just a publicity stunt and also to allow the side to cool and packer nation to heal

That opportunity passed. It was a close one, but thank god it didn't happen

Probably not, he's way too bitter at the team. The only way this happens is if he waits a few years and then does it, but his retirement papers will have already been submitted by then, so who knows...

Pugger
05-18-2010, 10:24 AM

1. Should the Packers allow another player to wear #4?Why not? See #2

2. Should the Packers still retire #4 when he hangs up the cleats? 2A. if yes. immediately or after a period of time? Teams don't retire numbers anymore, technically. The Pack will probably put his jersey in a frame like they did with Reggie.

3. Would Favre leading the hated Vikings to a Lombardi trophy impact your point of view? No. He's a queen now so he isn't my favorite Packer anymore.

4. Will Favre retire as a Packer? 4A. What if he wins it all in Purple? He'll probably be remembered for all those years in GB but if he wants to retire a Heidi Hair that's his business.

Bretsky
05-18-2010, 05:48 PM
[quote="Tarlam!"]I have a couple of speculative questions for the pro/contra Favre-ites:

NO

YES, whever the player and team agree to do so. Don't really care when myself

NO; in fact it'd lead me to give him more credit in terms of his ability as a player

4. Will Favre retire as a Packer? Yes

4A. What if he wins it all in Purple? Will not Matter

Joemailman
05-18-2010, 07:03 PM

No. His accomplishments are such that no player again should wear that number.

They should if Favre is interested in having a ceremony to retire his number. Not sure if that's the case. If so, the timing should largely be of his choosing.

No, but it might impact his.

No. He will retire as a Viking.

GrnBay007
05-19-2010, 12:11 AM

NO

YES, whever the player and team agree to do so. Don't really care when myself

NO; in fact it'd lead me to give him more credit in terms of his ability as a player

4. Will Favre retire as a Packer? Yes

4A. What if he wins it all in Purple? Will not Matter

As Always.....the voice of reason! Agree with all B's answers.

For someone so logical I just don't get the gal on gal fascination! :P

And PS....would vote to keep the thread alive. Don't like all the hatred, but nice to have a place to check in on Favre news.

mraynrand
05-19-2010, 12:54 AM
If Kapinos is the punter this fall, I think they should make him wear #4. When they do those half-time shows with the dog that catches the frisbees, I think they should have the dog wear #4. If Favre shows up in Lambeau for the hated Vikings again, they should run a montage of all his playoff killing INTs on the 'jumbotron' - over and over and over again.

GrnBay007
05-19-2010, 01:14 AM
If Favre shows up in Lambeau for the hated Vikings again, they should run a montage of all his playoff killing INTs on the 'jumbotron' - over and over and over again.

I'm sure that would make some fans feel happy, but it would make the Packer organization look mean, spiteful and kinda weak. No way would a team with all that pride and history want to put themselves out there that way.

Lurker64
05-19-2010, 01:23 AM

For the foreseeable future? No. If, two hundred years from now the Packers have had so many hall of fame quarterbacks that they're running out of small integers to assign to QBs, they can put it back in rotation if he's at the bottom of that heap.

They should retire the number, but not until they're good and ready. I think an appropriate time frame would be "the season that Favre goes into the hall of fame", but Brett should have to want to mend fences with the organization before it happens. So it might not happen for considerably longer than that. You actually have to have the guy show up to the ceremony where you retire his jersey (assuming he's still alive). I don't think the Packers should beg and scrape to get him to come to the ceremony where they honor him, let Brett reach out first.

If Favre wins a Lombardi trophy in purple, I'll never like him. They should still retire his number eventually and avoid "accidentally" assigning it to a punter, but I'll never like him.

No. Favre won't sign a one-day contract to retire with anybody. Even when he's out of the league for a year or more, we'll never really be sure he's retired (and neither will he). The only way Favre will retire and stay retired is if nobody wants him anymore. Five years from now, if a starter for a superbowl contender goes down, and somebody wants to make a call down to Hattiesberg, Favre would likely gladly hop off the tractor and play half a season or something like that. When he finally does retire for good, it won't be with a lot of ceremony, he'll just fade away out of the NFL's consciousness until his hall of fame induction.

pbmax
05-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Brett will sign the one day contract, but then have second thoughts and ask for more time.

packerbacker1234
05-19-2010, 07:57 AM
1. No, no packer on the current active roster should be wearing #4. Sure, it sucks that he is on another team and things ended the way they did, but I don't think it looks good for anyone involved to let that happen. Not for the player that has to wear the burden, not for the packers who will be viewed as saying #4 means nothing, and not for favre who wore it for 16 years in GB. No one should wear it. It is now and forever shall be lord favre's #.

2. Of course. As much distaste as we have for him now, we went to two superbowls and what, 5 nfc championships while he QB'd this team for 16 years in what was already a hall of fame career before he left. We were consistently a winning team when he was here, and no matter who or what we want to give credit to for that, he was a big reason that happened. His audible in the first quarter of the SB was a great pace setter for our only SB win since the 60's. We should really retire the # right away, as soon as it's official he is gone (aka, he actually misses games). I don't think there needs to be a healing time - people are always going to be torn on him when he is in purple, but as soon as he's not I think most will be forgiving.

3. At this point? No, it only solidifies his hall of fame career. What he was able to do last season, at age 40... no QB has ever done. He played like an MVP, putting up the best numbers of his career. The guy can play football, and if he wins a ring it doesn't affect what he did for us in GB. It just means he has the right team around him to get the job done. He's a great player and will always be remembered as such. Another ring wont change that.

4. When it's all said and done, I think everyone is going to man up and he'll get the one day contract to make it official.

4a. If this happens, I would say it would be doubtful, but it may bring up questions of if the VIKINGS should retire his number as well. After all, if they win it with favre... it's their first sb win ever. He would naturally be a big reason that happened. I know it's not a habit to do retiring of numbers often, but that would be a very big deal for that franchise.

I think 5 years down the road, all of us are going to appreciate favre for what he did, were just not gonna be able to do it while he has that purple jersey on.

Upnorth
05-19-2010, 11:49 AM
These are some fun questions.
No
They should stop retiring numbers.
I would hate to see the vikings win, but it would not change my view of Favre. This is a team sport, not just a superstar sport. QB's matter, but so does the OL, DL, etc.
I hope Favre retires a Packer. If the vikings did win with Favre, I don't care to speculate on what he would do. I don't think I would like the answer.

mraynrand
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
If Favre shows up in Lambeau for the hated Vikings again, they should run a montage of all his playoff killing INTs on the 'jumbotron' - over and over and over again.

I'm sure that would make some fans feel happy, but it would make the Packer organization look mean, spiteful and kinda weak. No way would a team with all that pride and history want to put themselves out there that way.

I'd just be happy if it helped the Packers win.

RashanGary
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM

We're really not that different. . . .

Me and you. . .

RashanGary
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
If Favre comes back with Minnesota, the Packers should photoshop Dianna's face where Grossman's head was on that KGB/Grossman raping and then put it on the jumbotron. I'm at work, or I'd give you an example of what I mean.

MichiganPackerFan
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
When they do those half-time shows with the dog that catches the frisbees, I think they should have the dog wear #4.

I've always wanted to get a Bulldog, name him Gilbert and throw a #93 jersey on him on gameday. Alas, my wife is allergic :cry:

Administrator
05-19-2010, 02:43 PM
If Favre comes back with Minnesota, the Packers should photoshop Dianna's face where Grossman's head was on that KGB/Grossman raping and then put it on the jumbotron. I'm at work, or I'd give you an example of what I mean.

Resist the urge. It is those types of things that keep getting you in trouble.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2010, 04:41 PM
4a. If this happens, I would say it would be doubtful, but it may bring up questions of if the VIKINGS should retire his number as well. After all, if they win it with favre... it's their first sb win ever. He would naturally be a big reason that happened. I know it's not a habit to do retiring of numbers often, but that would be a very big deal for that franchise.

I'm all for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/DosaRavengard/Will_Stuff/douchebag.jpg

RashanGary
05-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Resist the urge. It is those types of things that keep getting you in trouble.

I understand. It was a joke. I'll bet it got a few chuckles.

Joemailman
05-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Don't bet the house.

packerbacker1234
05-19-2010, 06:47 PM

The packers are generally considered a class act organization. Winning because we humiliated a player "off the field" (which it would be, using film of a previous game publicly) would make us look like whining babies to the league. If you want to win that way, more power to you. I would like to beat them when they are at their best. Not because we demoralized their starting QB without even playing him.

Sorry, I actually prefer us to remain a class organization, not like the eagles who even throw snowballs at Santa Clause.

mraynrand
05-19-2010, 07:31 PM

The packers are generally considered a class act organization. Winning because we humiliated a player "off the field" (which it would be, using film of a previous game publicly) would make us look like whining babies to the league. If you want to win that way, more power to you. I would like to beat them when they are at their best. Not because we demoralized their starting QB without even playing him.

Sorry, I actually prefer us to remain a class organization, not like the eagles who even throw snowballs at Santa Clause.

I am opposed to throwing snowballs at Santa. I'd be OK if we whipped a few at Favre. Maybe with some twigs and gravel in 'em. Unfortunately, the NFL has seen to it that that will not happen in the regular season.

mraynrand
05-19-2010, 07:33 PM
When they do those half-time shows with the dog that catches the frisbees, I think they should have the dog wear #4.

I've always wanted to get a Bulldog, name him Gilbert and throw a #93 jersey on him on gameday. Alas, my wife is allergic :cry:

Too bad. That ... would ... be ... AWESOME!

mraynrand
05-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Must - resist - urge - to - photoshop..... Must - resist.....

RashanGary
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM

I know what you mean. I just want to get retarded in here.

packerbacker1234
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM

I am opposed to throwing snowballs at Santa. I'd be OK if we whipped a few at Favre. Maybe with some twigs and gravel in 'em. Unfortunately, the NFL has seen to it that that will not happen in the regular season.

Hope that's sarcasm. He's just a guy playing a game. No need to get hostile with him.

GrnBay007
05-19-2010, 11:01 PM

Hmm, really??? U get off on a rape scene?

:roll:

sick!!

GrnBay007
05-19-2010, 11:02 PM

I know what you mean. I just want to get retarded in here.

Are you saying you've resisted? With the rape comment makes one wonder.

channtheman
05-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Someone just shop the photo and post it in the GC! I wanna see what you guys come up with. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
05-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Too bad. That ... would ... be ... AWESOME!

The rest of the plan was to get him a solid, clear glass water bowl with the Miller logo proudly displayed on the side.

http://www.hispanicprwire.com/uploaded_logos/6736_1.jpg

mraynrand
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Hope that's sarcasm. He's just a guy playing a game. No need to get hostile with him.

It's just sarcasm! :D Right now, Favre is the opposing QB playing for the hated Vikings, Can't love the guy again until he retires - for good.

retailguy
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM

We're really not that different. . . .

Me and you. . .

I'm cuter. And more stable. :wink:

Tarlam!
05-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Childress, Favre texting, not talking

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Vikings coach Brad Childress says he doesn't have an update from Brett Favre about his playing status for next season, or a possible surgery on his injured left ankle.
Childress was asked by reporters for the latest word on Favre following practice on Wednesday. The Minnesota coach said he hasn't spoken with the 40-year-old quarterback recently.
Childress says he has exchanged text messages with Favre during the offseason, but insisted that "texting is not talking."
Last month, Favre issued a statement on his personal website about the injury. He said his condition "is not debilitating" and that surgery is only one factor in his decision whether to play.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/19/childress.favre.ap/index.html#ixzz0oUgR7iUB

RashanGary
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM

I'll agree with the latter, but I'm one good looking dude :flm: sizzle

pbmax
05-20-2010, 08:14 PM

I'll agree with the latter, but I'm one good looking dude :flm: sizzle
Isn't that the flaming emoticon?

RashanGary
05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
:beat:------------------That horse is dead, cooked and eaten for dinner :P :bs:
----:flm:

MJZiggy
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Childress, Favre texting, not talking

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Vikings coach Brad Childress says he doesn't have an update from Brett Favre about his playing status for next season, or a possible surgery on his injured left ankle.
Childress was asked by reporters for the latest word on Favre following practice on Wednesday. The Minnesota coach said he hasn't spoken with the 40-year-old quarterback recently.
Childress says he has exchanged text messages with Favre during the offseason, but insisted that "texting is not talking."
Last month, Favre issued a statement on his personal website about the injury. He said his condition "is not debilitating" and that surgery is only one factor in his decision whether to play.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/19/childress.favre.ap/index.html#ixzz0oUgR7iUB I know they were texting rather than talking, but OMG they mvst b bffs like they're txting. Ya know?

GBRulz
05-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, that's really scraping for news.... something that says they're texting not talking. Don't most people now a days text vs. calling anyhow??

mraynrand
05-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Wow, that's really scraping for news.... something that says they're texting not talking. Don't most people now a days text vs. calling anyhow??

I hope not. I can't imagine anything worse than conversing via text.

Pugger
05-21-2010, 12:44 AM
This is all horse hockey. We all know His Highness is coming back. He's just waiting so he can skip most of TC.

Tarlam!
05-21-2010, 12:54 AM
This is all horse hockey. We all know His Highness is coming back. He's just waiting so he can skip most of TC.

My money says he's coming back, too.

What I don't understand is the need to draw this out; Chilly and the players have already given the guy a blank check to miss OTA's and camp. He proved last year he can just turn up a week before the season begins and perform at MVP levels (except the NFCC game).

The Vikings have all conceded that at his age, he doesn't need to waste precious energy doing drills.

I don't think a team could do anymore to appease His Lordship.

If you ask me, one text message exchange was "See you in late September". This will he or won't he is a farce designed to keep the paying purple fans on the edge of their seats.

It's a bit like hitting one's thumb with a hammer: It feels so good when it stops hurting!

Joemailman
05-21-2010, 06:36 AM
This situation works for Chilly. Favre isn't going to take part in any off-season stuff. If he announced early that he is coming back, Chilly might have to answer questions about why he has one set of rules for Favre, and another for everyone else. I suspect Chilly is in no hurry to have Favre announce a decision.

mraynrand
05-21-2010, 07:23 AM
He proved last year he can just turn up a week before the season begins and perform at MVP levels (except the NFCC game).

I would argue that he played extremely well in the NFCC game as well. He just blew it on the last pass. Like against Dallas in the '95 NFCC game (unforced INT to Larry Brown) and of course the 2007 NFCC game. When it happens again this year, I hope it's in Lambeau.

pbmax
05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
College World Series to determine Vikings fate:

Favre To Return to NFL If So. Miss Goes To CWS (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/05/20/favre.ap/index.html?eref=sihp)

retailguy
05-21-2010, 07:36 AM
What I don't understand is the need to draw this out;

If you don't do it this way, you aren't on the news frequently... He likes to be on the news frequently.

Did you ever notice that when the media "stops talking about him", some ridiculous story like this whole texting/talking thing comes up? Now he's made a deal with the Southern Miss baseball team.... And back as the focus of news stories and speculation.... It never goes longer than a few weeks.

RashanGary
05-21-2010, 09:44 AM
What if he's dragging this out so he can use PED's and be away from testing?

I'm shocked he needs that much attention. I just can't buy that. It's just so bizarre and diva-like for a guy who's supposed to be so tough and man-like.

falco
05-21-2010, 10:56 AM

I'm shocked he needs that much attention. I just can't buy that. It's just so bizarre and diva-like for a guy who's supposed to be so tough and man-like.

I think the magnitude of Favre's mental and physical toughness is matched only by his need for emotional reassurance.

Pugger
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM

I think the magnitude of Favre's mental and physical toughness is matched only by his need for emotional reassurance.

+1

And because TT and MM wouldn't kiss Favre's...ring...that may have been the beginning of the end of #4 in GB. It is remarkable how a guy like that has such a need to feel wanted and loved.

packerbacker1234
05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

+1

And because TT and MM wouldn't kiss Favre's...ring...that may have been the beginning of the end of #4 in GB. It is remarkable how a guy like that has such a need to feel wanted and loved.

Not sure it's that really. He's an old, veteran player, who can play at a very high level. I think he just thought the respect for him was so deep that if changed his mind on retirement the packers would be elated to have him return. I mean, think if after elway's 2nd SB win, if he retired... but then as TC went on he wanted to come back - would denver of told him no, and then back peddle and say fine but you aren't guarenteed your starter spot? There are very, very few scenarios where a QB coming off a very good season (some argued MVP like at the time) in 2007 - been the franchise for 16 years, where a team would not welcome the player back. Even with AR in the wings, you can't really say we knew what we had yet at that point. Favre just had his best seasons arguablly since the 90's, and was | | close to being in the SB again. Most teams would call it crazy to not be begging him to return.

And admit it - even with his int in OT, most of us most likely wanted him back. How could we not? NFC Champion game no one saw coming entering 2007, Favre played out of his mind in a lot of must win games (really, his 2007 season was one to remember). When the game was on the line throughout all of 2007, Favre seemed to come through every time. I mean, this was the sort of Favre we all wanted, the sort of #4 we expected. The man that with the game on the line is going to get it done. Then he threw the NFC Champ int. Sorry, I can safely say I wanted him back.

2 years later the packers look the wiser, even though Favre played legitimate MVP caliber player last season. Would Favre have hit Jennings first play of OT last season in arizona? Most likely, yeah, but AR would of never got that growing experience either. Long haul, it was good to have AR out there. Plus, AR is on the cusp too of being a super star, he just has to start coming through in those moments in the playoffs.

Favre "should" be coming back this season. The vikings drafted as if he was coming back. Everyone expects him to come back. The vikings are built to win now - their window is litterally now. ANd it's only really open for maybe another year after this. They are losing too many of their good players to age. Favre knows this, and that is why he wanted to go there anyways. The team is built perfectly for him to get it done.

I don't think he's dragging this out for attention... at least not this year. He said he most likely needed minor ankle surgery to play again on his site. So? He didn't call any media outlets to make some big deal of it. So him and childress have been texting all offseason. So? Not like he released that information either, it's just really common stuff.

I think the big shocker is if he DOESN'T come back.

And like someone else said - favre actually played really well in the saints game. Especially when you start to remember the beatdown he was given all game. A beatdown of which Peyton Manning can't even imagine. I wonder sometimes how he would of responded if he was beat down in a similar fashion. Favre just kept coming back. Could barely hobble around and was still running to make blocks on run plays, still in the middle of piles jumping all over the what was it, 4 fumbles his team had? He did throw two ints. One of them wasn't that costly, and is just one of those "it happens" plays. Considering up to that point the pounding he had taken, and how he played before and after that pick, it was really irrelevant.

The 2nd pick was obviously a game killer, even though the vikings admitted they were out of longwells range. That still doesn't excuse the throw. He could of ran forward even a yard and fell. At least given longwell a shot. No guarentee they win - he still could of missed the long FG, still went to OT, and Favre may have never had a chance in OT to win it. The int in 2007 was far worse - that int directly lead to the loss. The int last year didn't = the vikings were not in guarenteed winning position, and they still went to OT. Either way, one could argue the total lack of coaching discipline on the sidelines that lead to the 12 men in the huddle penalty is what really wrecked it for the vikings. That was 10x more embarassing than a forced throw pick when the vikings were out of range. They would of never needed to throw it. Good job, childress. It was almost as bad as the no call helmet to helmet on Rodgers the play before the fumble.

And... I'm not even sure the vikings stay in that game without Favre last season. Not sure jackson would of responded as well with the beatdown - favre was making up for fumbles the entire 2nd half. I mean - if AP grips the handoff at the goal line - vikings at least get a FG. They win. Harvin holds on - they get a FG - they win. Berrian holds on - they get a fg - they win.

It wasn't really just favre.

Maybe it was all karma, but barring his body not being able to handle it - I see #4 coming back for one more.

falco
05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I mean, think if after elway's 2nd SB win, if he retired... but then as TC went on he wanted to come back - would denver of told him no, and then back peddle and say fine but you aren't guarenteed your starter spot?

Apples and oranges. That's a completely different situation; Favre had strung the team along for several years.

="packerbacker1234]Even with AR in the wings, you can't really say we knew what we had yet at that point.

Obviously MM and TT felt they did, and they were right.

Favre just had his best seasons arguablly since the 90's, and was | | close to being in the SB again. Most teams would call it crazy to not be begging him to return.

Most players wouldn't need to be "begged" to return.

Edit in bold.

RashanGary
05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
2 years later the packers look the wiser, even though Favre played legitimate MVP caliber player last season. Would Favre have hit Jennings first play of OT last season in arizona? Most likely, yeah, but AR would of never got that growing experience either. Long haul, it was good to have AR out there. Plus, AR is on the cusp too of being a super star, he just has to start coming through in those moments in the playoffs.

Should AR come through in the playoffs the way Favre did against the Saints last year? How about the way he came through against the Giants in 2007? How about against the Vikings in 2004? How about the Eagles in 2003? How about the Falcons in 2002 or the Rams in 2001?

Don't be so sure Favre would have won those. You're conveniently remembering the good plays of a 16 year Packer career and conveniently forgetting how he's failed to get a ring in 95% of the seasons he's played.

Pugger
05-21-2010, 02:47 PM

+1

Not sure it's that really. He's an old, veteran player, who can play at a very high level. I think he just thought the respect for him was so deep that if changed his mind on retirement the packers would be elated to have him return. I mean, think if after elway's 2nd SB win, if he retired... but then as TC went on he wanted to come back - would denver of told him no, and then back peddle and say fine but you aren't guarenteed your starter spot? There are very, very few scenarios where a QB coming off a very good season (some argued MVP like at the time) in 2007 - been the franchise for 16 years, where a team would not welcome the player back. Even with AR in the wings, you can't really say we knew what we had yet at that point. Favre just had his best seasons arguablly since the 90's, and was | | close to being in the SB again. Most teams would call it crazy to not be begging him to return.

And admit it - even with his int in OT, most of us most likely wanted him back. How could we not? NFC Champion game no one saw coming entering 2007, Favre played out of his mind in a lot of must win games (really, his 2007 season was one to remember). When the game was on the line throughout all of 2007, Favre seemed to come through every time. I mean, this was the sort of Favre we all wanted, the sort of #4 we expected. The man that with the game on the line is going to get it done. Then he threw the NFC Champ int. Sorry, I can safely say I wanted him back.

Favre "should" be coming back this season. The vikings drafted as if he was coming back. Everyone expects him to come back. The vikings are built to win now - their window is litterally now. ANd it's only really open for maybe another year after this. They are losing too many of their good players to age. Favre knows this, and that is why he wanted to go there anyways. The team is built perfectly for him to get it done.

I don't think he's dragging this out for attention... at least not this year. He said he most likely needed minor ankle surgery to play again on his site. So? He didn't call any media outlets to make some big deal of it. So him and childress have been texting all offseason. So? Not like he released that information either, it's just really common stuff.

And like someone else said - favre actually played really well in the saints game. Especially when you start to remember the beatdown he was given all game. A beatdown of which Peyton Manning can't even imagine. I wonder sometimes how he would of responded if he was beat down in a similar fashion. Favre just kept coming back. Could barely hobble around and was still running to make blocks on run plays, still in the middle of piles jumping all over the what was it, 4 fumbles his team had? He did throw two ints. One of them wasn't that costly, and is just one of those "it happens" plays. Considering up to that point the pounding he had taken, and how he played before and after that pick, it was really irrelevant.

The 2nd pick was obviously a game killer, even though the vikings admitted they were out of longwells range. That still doesn't excuse the throw. He could of ran forward even a yard and fell. At least given longwell a shot. No guarentee they win - he still could of missed the long FG, still went to OT, and Favre may have never had a chance in OT to win it. The int in 2007 was far worse - that int directly lead to the loss. The int last year didn't = the vikings were not in guarenteed winning position, and they still went to OT. Either way, one could argue the total lack of coaching discipline on the sidelines that lead to the 12 men in the huddle penalty is what really wrecked it for the vikings. That was 10x more embarassing than a forced throw pick when the vikings were out of range. They would of never needed to throw it. Good job, childress. It was almost as bad as the no call helmet to helmet on Rodgers the play before the fumble.

And... I'm not even sure the vikings stay in that game without Favre last season. Not sure jackson would of responded as well with the beatdown - favre was making up for fumbles the entire 2nd half. I mean - if AP grips the handoff at the goal line - vikings at least get a FG. They win. Harvin holds on - they get a FG - they win. Berrian holds on - they get a fg - they win.

Maybe it was all karma, but barring his body not being able to handle it - I see #4 coming back for one more.

But WHY would a guy who proclaims to want to win another championship would need to be begged to return to a team that just weeks before was just an INT in OT away from the Super Bowl??? It just doesn't make sense - unless he wanted out - and I do not think TT nor MM would have moved forward with Rodgers had Favre just returned as our starter in 2008 and had not "retired." It is plainly evident that had plenty to give to the game of football but not to the Green Bay Packers.

packerbacker1234
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM

+1

But WHY would a guy who proclaims to want to win another championship would need to be begged to return to a team that just weeks before was just an INT in OT away from the Super Bowl??? It just doesn't make sense - unless he wanted out - and I do not think TT nor MM would have moved forward with Rodgers had Favre just returned as our starter in 2008 and had not "retired." It is plainly evident that had plenty to give to the game of football but not to the Green Bay Packers.

Because he just threw that int. He is putting the sole blame of not getting to a SB that season, not winning a SB that season, on himself. He is really down on himself, he's towards the end of his career, and he's sitting their taking the weight of a team wide OT loss on his shoulders. In those situations, if you really want those players to be back, you do go the extra mile to pick them up off the floor. Reassure him it wasn't all his fault - it's a team game and team loss. And let him know he would be a intrigal part in a SB run in 2008.

From all indications, the packers didn't do that. I am not saying they needed to be at his doorstep or putting up billboards like the viking fans are doing, but they certaintly could of made a better effort to convince him to not want to retire to begin with.

A lot of people act like favre "constantly" strang the packers along for years. The comment was just made again a few posts back.

You may want to look back at it in earnest: THE MEDIA strung you along, favre himself never gave you any indication until after 2007 that he was even thinking retiring. If you do go back and look at the news, look at the questions prior seasons to 2007 - not once did favre ever really say he wasn't sure he was coming back. It was the media who sat at his doorstep and kept asking him even though Favre never brought the topic up.

Naturally after the NFC Championship loss, he did finally, after the media yet again brought the topic up, admit he wasn't sure. A clear sign that yes, he was thinking about retiring. That was the first sign I had really seen that #4 honestly was looking at hanging it up.

He also announced it quickly - and even used the fact it was his mental state that caused him to retire. I think that is pretty believable. Regardless of how much he liked TT or not, after a loss like that, failing to go to the super bowl with home field advantage and cold weather (two things most his career he has been known to excel in winning games) - and ending it with that int... yeah, his mental state was "I gave it everything I had and it just wasn't good enough anymore".

Yes, the packers could of did more to convince him. I am not saying do what the vikings are doing. Their situation is tad more dire. They need to win now, and as Favre proved last season - he is a guy that can indeed win right now. Still, I never felt through all of this that Favre was really being anything other than human. So he is starving for attention because he is having a hard time walking away from the game? Because he retired and unretired twice? It's hard to walk away from something that has been his entire life since HS. It's all he has known his entire adulthood. He's was good at it, he's still good at. Knowing you can do what he can most likely still do it is just really hard to say "yeah, I'm done".

And sure, maybe he doesn't want to do a full training camp - maybe that is actually good for him? It certaintly may have helped him last year. He's 40, the guy can't bounce back from tough practices and games nearly as fast as he use too. What matters is he can still bring it on game day.